Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram (2002) fuel economy

helpwantedhelpwanted Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Dodge
Before giving up my 94 Toyota V-6 I would really like some good information on the fuel mileage that people are experiencing with their new 2002 Rams. Thanks
please specify the following:
4x4 or 4x2
3.55 or 3.90 gears
4.7 or 5.9 engine
crew or std cab

Comments

• twinscrewtwinscrew Member Posts: 53
    My quad cab 4X4 with 3.55, 4.7L, and auto trans is doing about 14 to 15 mpg in mixed driving. My similarly equipped Dakota did about 2 mpg better. The 1500 is heavier and has more wind drag. It's about what I expected.
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    getting about 13.8 in the city and 23-24 on the highway. I'm not even close to breaking the motor in yet. I know it will get better. LOVE MY TRUCK!!! Can't say enough. 4.7L, 5-sp, Quad.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    23-24 on the highway sounds too good to be true -

I think the Ram 4.7 is rated at 17 highway. You must have been going down hill!!
    You're a funny guy. Downhill! Ha! That's great. But seriously folks, 23-24 it is. And ya know what? Sticker doesn't mean anything. Used to have a Chevy S-10 that was "stickered" at 21/29. It never saw more than 22 on the highway. Now that WASN'T funny. BTW, the sticker on my Quad also says in the fine print that some have gotten 26 on the highway. Maybe I'm finally one of the lucky ones. Love my truck!
    You would be one of the lucky ones getting that good of MPG - It is possible -

Neighbor has a new Ram with the 4.7. Took a 500 mile all highway trip and got 16 MPG. He hopes it will get better - only has about 2K on it.
    What speeds were you running when you achieved those MPG figures?
  • bc01clsbc01cls Member Posts: 44
    I have 2,000 miles on mine and average 16 mpg with a lot of stop and go driving. All in all pretty good for this giant. Highway seems to get me 18 or so but it's really speed dependent. I imagine if I could keep it at around 60-65 mph that I could average better. Going to call Jacobs and see if they offer an ignition system for the 4.7 since my 318 Dakota improved quite a bit. I found myself going 20-30 miles more each tank before the fuel light came on.
    Sorry so long getting back to you. City driving I get about 14mpg. It's getting better every tank. Highway speeds of 64-65, I'm getting a solid 23-24mpg. And no, that's not downhill. Flat highway, holding pedal steady or cruise. I'm due to be lucky after that S-10. This love affair with my Ram gets better everyday.

Father-in-law is a long-time Chevy man. Let him spend a half day in my Ram and he's about to pull the trigger. He can't stop talking about it.

I was driving in town yesterday minding my own business and some freak in a Silverado flipped me the bird for no apparent reason except that I was driving my Quad. He took a good look at my truck and then his bird was airborne. Go figure.
  • durango508durango508 Member Posts: 37
    Hey all!

I have about 3000 miles on my 2002 4x2 quad.
    I am getting about 14 mpg to and from work.
    My commute is about 8 miles each way with a
    few stop lights on the way and 45 - 60 mph
    in between. With the cold weather of winter it
    is about half of my drive before it gets warmed
    up enough to shift normally. I can tell it will
    stay at about 2000 rpm at a certain speed, instead of shifting to about 1500 rpm until it
    is warm. I was hoping for a little more so hopefully it will improve.

I haven't had it on the interstate much until
    this past weekend. Took a day trip to Kansas
    City from Wichita (about 175 miles each way).
    In the morning with really no wind I got
    about 16 mpg doing 78 mph or so. On the way back I
    was driving into a 30-35 mph wind the whole way
    and got about 12 mpg again doing 78 mph or so.
    It was getting a little annoying because it would
    constantly downshift to keep speed (with the
    cruise on) up even the slightest of hills. And if
    you know Kansas, they ARE slight hills. I'm
    sure it was all of the drag of driving into the
    wind and it got better when I slowed down.
    I will have to try and get it on the interstate
    a little more to see how it does. Currently
    planning on taking it to Chicago in April or May.

I am really loving my truck so far. The only
    minor annoyance I have had is with the interior
    door panels vibrating some if the stereo is turned
    up (not real loud) and a song with strong bass on.

Changed the oil a while back, what an ordeal.
    Couldn't get the old filter off, too tight from
    factory. Started smashing it with the filter
    wrench then punctured it. I tried using a screw
    driver and just ripped up the metal. I finally
    took off the little spout by the filter that
    takes the oil away from the block and was able
    to get it off. What a pain, and after you get to
    the point of no return there is nothing you
    can do but get the old filter off, somehow.

Anyway, other than that enjoying my truck.
  • pushplaypushplay Member Posts: 52
    Just bought an 02 Quad Cab and have only put 200 mi. and so far pretty much just driving around town it has avg. 13.5. I noticed the computer said I was getting 23 while on a 15 mi. highway drive going 65mph. By the way I love it even if it didn't get good mi. Had a 00 Chevy Z-71 ext.cab and it could not hold a candle to this truck. The only thing I liked about the Z-71 is the way it would get up and go, but the overall quality and and room does not compare. If you don't believe me just look at all the posting of people who have some major complaints with their GM trucks.
    The New RAM is the Mayor of Truckville!!
  • helpwantedhelpwanted Member Posts: 14
    Got an Atlantic Blue Crew Cab 4wd with a 4.7 and 3:55 rear end. The first tank I averaged 12 miles per gallon which was all city driving nothing over 55 MPH and constant in and out on the accelerator to vary the RPM's for proper motor break-in. So far this Ram is a dream to drive and seems to have plenty of power, then again I was driving a Toyota (baby truck). Based on the computer mileage indicator I think it will be possible to get 15-17 mpg on average after break-in and some careful driving. I will keep you all posted on the progress with regard to fuel economy.
    Also thought I would tell everyone that you can deal on these trucks here in New Mexico. I got mine for $1400 under invoice after the $1500 rebate was applied. They must not be selling real good here considering most of the dealers around here have a ton of them.
    As for the oil changes I feel that the oil should be changed by a professional until the warranty expires so you have receipts providing proof of proper maintenance, just in case! This is a tuff one for me considering I typically change my own oil, I guess I don't need to worry about the filter tightness for this one.

New Ram 1500 Mayor of Truckville by a long shot!
    Simply the best better than all the rest!!
    My second tank was not much better than the first tank getting me whopping 12.7 MPG which consisted of mostly city miles and a HEALTHY FOOT to get the "Big Blue Pig" rolling. I will say that this current tank appears to be getting 15 MPG based on the computer, which was accurate with my last tank. I ordered a fiberglass bed cover this weekend by Snugtop which I hope will get me a mile or two better fuel economy in the future. My truck appears to drink a lot of fuel in Stop & Go traffic or accelerating from stop lights. Although I have observed on the highway 20-23 MPG doing 70 MPH. I hope this info is helpful to people so I will give another report after my next tank.

2002, Quad-cab, 4x4, 4.7 liter, 3:55 rear end
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    driving doesn't sound too surprising. That's a lot of truck and a pretty small engine. Of course we'd all like better!
  • gwm01gwm01 Member Posts: 5
    I'm told that a K&N air filter element will improve the gas mileage significantly on 2002 dodge trucks w/4.7L v8.

Does anyone have any experience with these? and where can they be found ?
  • sailboatsailboat Member Posts: 21
    So what were the details on price for your truck? How is it equipped?
    Dodge, but I've used a K&N in my last 8 GMs and never seen a mpg increase. At least not so's you'd notice. Matter of fact on my current '01 I used the AirAid system and dropped almost 2 mpg. But it does (Dyno tested but not by me) add 10 hp and 20 lbs. ft. of torque.
    MPG Update #3

Tank number three got 15 MPG, which consisted of about 50 percent highway miles (70 plus MPH). I also noticed the computer AVG ECO indicator appears to be low by 2/10 of a MPG for the last two tanks. The real kicker here is the truck almost has a 1000 miles on it and I have had no reason to go back to the dealer. I'm still waiting for something to go wrong with this truck, hell maybe Dodge has finally got there stuff together! I have heard a lot of mixed reaction regarding the K&N systems, personally I don't think they do anything for power or MPG! I'm still trying to figure out if a cat-back exhaust system is worth any money.

Price details below,

My truck is a Quad-Cab, 4X4, SLT, 4.7 Liter, Automatic, Atlantic Blue, Short Bed, slate gray interior, Options: Tow Group, Limited Slip, Skid Plates, & Power Seat. Sticker Price was $30,095 and I paid $25,800 for the truck. During the initial deal I offered them $24,000 with the rebate applied which prompted them to bring the actual invoice out. I then offered to pay the actual invoice (plus I get the rebate) they came back with five percent over invoice (plus I get the rebate) saying that's what they did for credit union members. I said no to that deal, telling them that was to much to pay and that is why I was not using my Credit Union. I gave them a final offer of actual invoice (plus I get the rebate) and started to walk, that's when they came back with a $100 over invoice (plus I get the rebate) to cover the minimum sales commission, I agreed to this deal. The entire negotiation process took all of ten minutes plus I was able to leave for church allowing me to come back later that night to complete the paperwork. The actual invoice they showed me had about $300 in fees that were not shown in Edmunds. There were two transportation fees and a small fuel fee, the transportation fee is not real clear to me. I will mention that when I bought my wife's Toyota Sienna they showed me the invoice and it also had a couple BS charges as well.
  • durango508durango508 Member Posts: 37
    I don't know that the fees are BS. I have always seen them as advertising fees and are different
    depending on the area in which you buy your vehicle. I don't know if Edmunds talks about these, but they have to do with the advertising
    the dealer has to pay the manufacturer.

I bought my 2002 2WD Quad 4.7L back in the middle of October. I was able to get 4.9% financing at
    the time. They started the 7year/100,000 mile
    warranty the first of November if I remember right. So I missed out on that, oh well.

I have about 3200 miles on my truck right now
    and I am still really happy. No squeaks or rattles. The only thing I have been to the dealer for is to have remote keyless entry installed.
    How we get used to the little things like that.
    I decided the dealer (factory) remote was worth
    the extra $$ when compared to aftermarket where
    somebody was going to be cutting into my truck's wires. Or should I say practicing.

I paid $200 over invoice and it is the best deal I have ever gotten on a new vehicle. The young salesman I dealt with kept talking to me about
    what payment I could afford. I made an offer for the price of the truck (I had no trade). He would leave and come back and talk about payment again.
    Finally I told him that I drove an hour to this particular dealer, they had what I wanted (at the time I couldn't find any trucks with limited slip)
    and I was ready to buy the truck if we could talk about the price of the truck. He left and came back with a copy of the invoice and said the best they could do was $200 over. Deal made, half hour or so. I was ready to pay maybe another $500 or so more being they were still hot off the presses.
    But everything worked out great and I have been happy with my truck since.

By the way, the salesman then told me it was his
    first new car sale and you could tell he was
    excited and nervous. You could really tell how they teach them to talk payment not price. Like the edmunds article a while back where they sent someone undercover to work in a couple car dealers.

Anyway, enjoy.
    Paul
    My MSRP was $27320 paid $23320 that was with $1500 rebate and using the company I work for supplier agreement which is 1% below invoice. I'm with you on how the hell those other guy's are getting them for what they are saying. I agree with durango508 it is the best dam vehicle I've bought even if I would have gave another two grand.
    You need to look at the price you paid not the discount you get.

Some dealers put on "dealer installed options" at many times their true value.

MSRP $25,000
    Paint protection pacckage 600
    Interior upgrade group 350
    security etching on glass 450
    Alarm system upgrade 390
    Total $26,790

Then they say this truck is discounted $XX. They inflate the dealer installed options - then discount them back so it looks like you are savings thousands. It makes people feel better if they think they got a big discount.

It is kind of like when people say - I got a $2,000 tax refund this year . When they really just got back the excess that they paid in.
  • lamarjlamarj Member Posts: 21
    I live in Alabama and have been looking for a used truck for about a month...something with 4 doors and a bed. I found a couple of great used deals at a dealership in Texas on Ford Sport Trac's. When I called, the S.T.'s had been sold. I spoke to a salesperson who explained to me that I she could put me into a NEW 2002 Dodge Quad Cab SLT with the 24G package including chrome wheels, bed liner, bug shield, power locks, mirrors, AC, Cruise, OH console etc. for $20,485 + tax. No other fees. $20,485, period. No strings. I am having a hard time believing this. I went to a local dealership to see if they could match the deal. I don't really want to drive to Texas, but I will. Two salesmen laughed and told me that if I got the deal to let them know cause they were going to go to Texas with me. I have a copy of the invoice. MSRP is 25,680. Invoice is 23,222. The corporate employee cost (EP) is 21,903. I'll end up with this truck if all stays on the up and up. I know they aren't taking a loss on the vehicle. Everyone else must be raking it in. How else could they give away so much in cash/interest? There is another number I have not yet identified. It is listed as MDH# 082709. Could it be manufacturer/Dealer Holdback? Any advice from you current Dodge Boys?
    Buy it! Make sure they put it in writing before going to Texas. Also verify that it does not have any miles on it. I have no idea how they can offer that kind of deal, if you buy try to get the story and let us all know. If you look in the quad-cab thread you will see that a few guys got a deal like the one you may get, so it must be possible. Bottom line if you can get a new Dodge you will love it. My truck has been great so far and I feel like Im driving a Caddy everytime I go anywhere. I to was planning to buy a used truck but the price was right for a new Dodge and I have no regrets. Good luck and keep us posted.
    If you're expecting great increases in actual performance and mpg then no, it isn't worth it. If you want a slight performance increase, a big psychological boost and a great sound, then absolutely it's worth it. Only reason I put 'em on is 'cause they sound good!
    I'll get as much info as possible. I arranged to add a CD player and fog lights today. I also picked out my color, Graphite. I should be able to zip it up tomorrow. If so, I will fly to Dallas Saturday and have it in the garage by Saturday night. I will share all of the details when I have them. I appreciate the advice and am amazed at the positive feedback this truck is getting on the quality front.
    Randall Noe in Terrell, TX? Search for their website. They always have great deals. They're just outside of Dallas by about 15-20 minutes (depending what side of the metroplex you're on). Volume dealer, small town overhead, and lower sales tax than where I live. Good luck with that. That's about the price I paid.

I'm just amazed that a local dealer will not do the same deal for you when they realize that you're obviously serious and have a deal set up. That would save you a lot of trouble. Just a thought.
    Randall Noe is the dealership I am dealing with. I received a call from the Finance Manager who tried to tack on some "other" taxes and fees as well as an alarm system that is "hard wired" into every vehicle. That conversation was shut down early. I did add some wish list options. I then asked them to fax the buyers order and the window sticker to me so I could look it over. After doing that I visited another local dealer in Montgomery. They offered me $300 below invoice as well as the $1500 rebate on any in-stock truck. The best they could do was come within $100 of the Texas deal. The only problem with that was that Randall Noe had $700 wrapped into the deal at my request to cover the taxes I will have to pay in Bama. They will cut me a check for it when I take delivery. The Montgomery truck also had no CD, no keyless entry, no bed liner, no fogs. I planned on a trip to Texas this Saturday via a $208 Southwest airline trip from Bham. My parents are "near retirement" truck drivers. They just happen to be heading to California by way of Terrell, TX. this weekend. It is meant to be! If anyone wants info on the dealership I will share. As stated by magilla, they have a website, Randallnoe.com. The website does not show the great deals. You gotta call and ask about them. I will take delivery of the Granite Quad Saturday.
    Funny how I knew it was R.Noe. I grew up around there.

Let us know what you think on the drive back. Good luck. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Mayors' Club!
    Drove my new Quad home from Texas yesterday. What an enjoyable drive! 625 miles, 95% Interstate 20. 80 MPH cruise the entire way! (Please keep your "break the engine in properly" comments to yourself) 15.9 MPG on trip. Randall Noe was easy to deal with in person.
    Congrats!!
    Welcome to the Mayors Club!!! Now you know why I'm a proud member.

RAM THE MAYOR OF TRUCKVILLE
    I want to know if I'm getting credit for creating the term "The Mayors' Club"? I guess it doesn't matter as long as we all are enjoying our trucks.
    Your the man.
  • obx1obx1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 ram 1500 Quad cab 4x4 4.7 V8 and I have 1500 miles on it and I only get 9.5 miles a gallon if Im lucky no matter what I do. Mostly city driveing. I cant believe what Im hearing 13,15,17 how are you guys getting that I love my truck but it must be broke or need ajusted or something!!!!!!
  • finklejagfinklejag Member Posts: 12
    From the vancouver mayors office.I bought my 2002 4x4 Ram SLT 4.7 auto on dec 16th.I have 2300 miles on her right now.She has been running like a champ.I only been getting around 12.2 mpg.My friend has a 97 ram and he said it took him about 5,000 miles to break it in.I will wait and see.I only drive 7 miles to work,4 of those are on the freeway.I drove to astoria last week,180 miles round trip.I got 16mpg driving about 70mph without cruise on.My truck is from the santillo plant,not one squeak or rattle.Msrp was $29,200.I payed $27,000,i had a trade in,so i was at a disadvantage from the start.I did manage to get 0% for 36 months.I already bought keyless entry,fog lights and the cd stereo.Just to help people out.If you trade your stock stereo in you will get a credit towards the new one.You have to trade it in within 3 months of your truck purchase.I guess they send them back to the factory.The normal price is $550 i payed $360.It only took 30 minutes for them to install the keyless entry.Dodge was thinking this time,they prewired the truck for it.You will only have to pay for one hour a labor to install it.Don't let them tell you otherwise.I had to get the foglights because the front end looks funny with too big empty holes.They don't use the oe light switch either,like on the sport and slt plus..They drill a hole right next to it on the dash for the the new foglight switch.Well i hope i can help someone with similar questions.Sorry for it being so long.
    If your miles are evenly split between city and highway, your truck probably spends 75 to 80% of its running time at slow speeds stopping and accelerating from a stop. This is a killer for mileage. You shouldn't expect a heavy truck to get good mileage under these circumstances. Wife drives her durango back and forth to work with very little highway mileage. About 12 is it. On the highway at a 60mph cruise, it gets closer to 20. On the other hand, my crew ram 4X4 gets 14 to 15 with some city mixed in with mostly highway.
  • prmartin1prmartin1 Member Posts: 14
    I only have 600 miles on the clock so I don't know how my mileage will be in the future. On the highway cruising at 70 it picks up to about 19.

But I have made an agreement with my wife that we don't turn on the current MPG on the trip computer before we hit the highway. It can really distract you to see the 'ol MPG dip when you hit the gas from standing still. But what the hell, it's so much fun to drive so who cares. Of course the environmentalist in me is on vacation for a while....like the next 10 years.
  • webjeff2webjeff2 Member Posts: 21
    Well, my 4.7 reg cab manual trans. SLT has just passed the 600 mile mark and with a 60% highway and 40% city driving mix, the avg mileage according to the computer is 16.9 mpg. I set it at 11 miles and have left it alone since. From what I understand, the gas mileage will improve as the engine breaks in. For now though, I consider this to be pretty good an I'm happy. I'm also very happy with this truck; being a loyal Honda CAR person, I was not swayed towards any particular truck brand and simply drove them all
    to find the best truck (for me). I was prepared to like the Toyota the best but the Dodge FAR outshines it. Did not like the GMC/Chevy at all and I thought that I'd be more impressed with the Ford but it really did nothing for me. The Dodge IMHO has the best looks too.
    4.7 with 3:55 rear 60% highway 40% city avg. 13.2. I had a tag in the truck that said it would not get it's best mileage until 4,000mi.
    Not a single rattle, shake, vibration or squeak and I really don't think their will be.

Former Chevy man.
  • brando69brando69 Member Posts: 47
    Anyone know of a good Dodge dealer in the Southern California area?

I saw the New Dodge Ram 1500 and it is awesome looking. My wife liked the vehicle a lot and we checked out the Fords, Chevy Silverado and the Toyota Tundra and the Dodge had the best looks and the most interior room.
    2002 Ram 1500 quad-cab, 4x4, 4.7 liter, 3;55 rear end, automatic.

Tank #1 12.4 MPG

Tank #2 12.9 MPG

Tank #3 14.8 MPG

Tank #4 14.6 MPG

Tank #5 14.1 MPG

Tank #6 15.3 MPG

Tank #7 14.6 MPG

I have 2000 miles on my truck. I do around 30-40 percent of my driving in Stop-n-Go traffic the remainder is highway going 60-70 MPH. My Snuglid should be in next week so we may start to see the numbers improve.
  • brando69brando69 Member Posts: 47
    I had a 1993 Land Cruiser and when I switched to
    Mobil 1 synthetic oil my mileage improved to about 2 miles a gallon. I will use it in my future Ram 1500 Quad Cab.

Has anyone tried it in their Ram?
  • duczilladuczilla Member Posts: 1
    How do you like the 5 speed? My local dealer is trying to talk me out of it claiming it is too clunky and work-truck like. He also says it kills any chance of resale. I like the idea of the added fuel economy. Which diff do you have and have you got the 20's?.
    Does anyone else have experience with the 5spd?
  • finklejagfinklejag Member Posts: 12
    I am at 2600 miles on my 2002 ram slt 4.7l.I been using mobil 1 on all my cars since 1990.I swear by this stuff.I will be changing my oil next week.I found out that mobil 1 makes oil filters.I went on there website and found that only autozone up here in washington state carries them.I boughtit this time.I will try it out and see if it keeps the oil cleaner.The filter was $11.00.That is about $7.00 more then a regular one.$35.00 for a oil change every 3,000 miles is worth it.It will keep your investment like new.I will let you know if my mileage goes up.
    you my experience with the 5 spd. Chevy's I've had. EVERY time I went to trade one in I heard the same thing......the "book" says deduct $500 for 5 spd, but really it's more like twice that! As for mpg, even though they were rated maybe 1 mpg higher, in real life that wasn't the case. Because of the way I drive a 5 spd. (spent more time in lowr gears for performance).
    I absolutely love my 5-speed. Why do people mention that you're going to get less on resale for it compared to an automatic? That may be true, but do you actually buy an expensive candle (since we use our vehicles up) to sell it? That makes no sense. Buy it to enjoy it, not sell it.

Is it clunky? No. I've owned Hondas, Toyotas, Mitsubishis and other nice shifting standards in my day. It is not clunky. Here's a real life testimonial - my father-in-law is a Chevy guy, through and through. Has the latest and "greatest" Z71 4x4, etc. Hates Dodge! He came out to visit after I'd just bought my Quad. He doesn't like 5-speeds. He drove my truck. You know what? He won't shut up about what a great truck it is! I'm not kidding. Always talks about how nicely it shifts, the power, the mileage, the value, the passenger room, etc.

I have the 17s on my truck. I did not want the rougher ride the 20s give, not to mention the bigger price tag when I have to replace them sooner. Don't really know what my differential is-didn't notice. I can look and get back to you. As I mentioned awhile back, I'm getting around 14 (and rising) in town and 23-24 on the highway. I don't have a lead foot, but have been known to get on it once and again just for fun. ;->

Bottom line: The 5-speed is not for everyone. I've never bought an automatic. My wife drives one. That's fine for her. I happen to like the control I have with my standard. Possibly less maintenance, but not sure. But the 5-speed is NOT clunky. Very smooth. Good luck.
  • dougsblu65dougsblu65 Member Posts: 6
    I GOT MY 1500 QUAD CAB 2 WHEEL DRIVE 4.7 AUTO A WEEK AGO TODAY. MY LAST TRUCK WAS A CREW CAB S-10, WHAT A PILE OF JUNK AND CHEVROLET SERVICE TO MATCH. MY TRUCK BEFORE THE S-10 WAS A 97 DODGE 1500 318 AUTO. I HAVE GM DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE TO ME AND I SLIPPED UP AND BOUGHT A CHEVY BECAUSE OF THE PRICE. NEVER AGAIN, AFTER 5 NEW CHEVYS IN 15 YEARS AND ALWAYS BEING TREATED LIKE CRAP BY THE DEALERS I CAN SAY I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANOTHER GM PRODUCT. THEY CRY ABOUT LOSING MARKET SHARE BUT IT'S THEIR OWN FAULT. WHEN I GOT BEHIND THE WHEEL OF THE NEW MAYOR IT WAS LIKE BEING HOME AGAIN AND THE VERY FIRST TANK OF GAS WAS 13.3 MIXED CITY/HIGHWAY, 2 MPG BETTER THAN THE S10 EVER GOT AND I KNOW IT WILL GET BETTER.
  • lamaratworklamaratwork Member Posts: 10
    4X2 Quad / 4.7 auto / 15.1 on last tank. I've been runnin her a little harder this tank. Avg now at 14.3.
  • canadacraigcanadacraig Member Posts: 34
    This MIGHT be a 'silly question' - BUT - would the Ram with the 5.9 litre engine get BETTER gas mileage than a Ram with the 4.7 litre engine? I've never owned a full-size pick-up before so I don't really know - BUT - it SEEMS to make some sense that a Ram with the 5.9 wouldn't have to 'work' so hard to move around. [therefore - burning LESS fuel]

Do any of you know??

[Am I thinking logically or am I out to lunch?!]

Craig!! :o)
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    No, the 5.9 liter is a very dependable engine that has been around forever . The old technology has been surpassed with the newer engines. The 4.7 is definately more efficient. Even if they were the same type design etc..., the larger engine will get equal or better mileage only under the rare heavy workload conditions that would push the little engine to the max.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    ...........is correct. You cannot violate the laws of physics. All other things being equal, the larger displacement engine will also use more fuel. Unless there is a difference in revolutions per mile (and I don't believe there is since they both come with a 3.55 differential), the bigger engine will burn more.

Dusty
This discussion has been closed.