Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here (retired discussion, please see the new one)

Comments

• wndctyboywndctyboy Member Posts: 1
    Gas price at Shell station corner of 75th and Lemont Rd for Regular 87 $2.57/Gal
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Sunoco Regular went all the way up to $2.43 last night and backed down to $2.39. Still up 4 cents overall.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Here's what I heard on the radio news just now as the reason that prices have spiked recently...

This time of year, refineries normally shut down as they change over from winter to summer formulation. Well, a Hess plant in the Caribbean announced they would be shut down longer than normal and that caused "supply fears" in the market, causing wholesale prices to jump.

So the amount of oil being produced doesn't change, the amount we're using doesn't change, but prices spike because one of those things MIGHT change.

Somebody tell me again how this has ANYTHING to do with actual supply and demand or the oil companies gouging us??

The markets run on emotion as much as anything, and all this gloom and doom sentiment out here has more of an affect than you might think.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....the fact that when prices spike, all that money goes into the pockets of big oil, regardless of what caused the spike. And they're always glad to take it. They COULD not be so greedy and take less profit by passing a lower price on to the consumer, but that never happens. You are right, the market runs largely on emotion, but big oil still reaps all the bennies at the expense of the consumer.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    87 octane at the Shell and Citgo stations in my neck of the woods (PG County, MD) are now up to $2.519 per gallon!

On the plus side, I just got a dividend from my Shell Oil stock. ~$48.00. That'll pay for about a tank and a half, I figure. :sick:
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Environmental legislation "hung" the refinery construction program years ago... Now, the reward for the "cause" is we can do more walking, more tree hugging, pay more and still pollute. I may just start smoking again in protest Aahaha.

My wages cannot keep up with price per gallon. It's usually 2.35 around town (yesterday)... But up to $2.44 for major brands:sick: :sick: . May be higher today.

Our Mr. Patel 1.5 blocks from our W. Georgia home was selling regular at $2.26 yesterday. He'll run-out today...he only has one pump and one underground tank. He'll raise it atleast 7 or 8 cents today IMO.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Nearby town (N Ill) had most name brand station prices around 2.54, 2.64, 2.74 (reg, mid, prem) late yesterday afternoon. One Mobil station, that is usually a couple pennies lower than other branded, had reg at 2.52 and mid and prem at 2.90 and 3.00.
  • 2zmax2zmax Member Posts: 140
    The price went up by 5c again!!! :mad:
    Is there no end to this madness?
    I think that this summer will finally send us into a recession, if the prices keep rising the way they started the last 2 weeks. :sick:
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    all that money goes into the pockets of big oil, regardless of what caused the spike. And they're always glad to take it.

Who is this BIG OIL you keep referring to? Is there certain individuals here in the USA we can point a finger at and say "he is gouging us". Hopefully your 401k has some oil stocks in there. They are making the big bucks that the dot coms were making in the 1990s. The truth is the oil companies are actually thousands of businesses just like the companies we work for. Some like Exxon are large, some like Colville Environmental are small. Most of them are making money right now because fear controls the commodity market. It is not the same as 75 years ago when the Rockefellers controlled most of the known oil reserves. We can be thankful that the government is not tacking on a couple bucks a gallon, like in the EU.
    Hey, I found Cavuto - his screen name is: ... gagrice ;)
    Hey, I found Cavuto

What's a Cavuto. Sounds like some foriegn car. Hopefully not like a Yugo. Very funny....

Having provided communications to the oil industry for the last 35 years I get some feeling for what is going on. Right now the oil companies are spending money on exploration like you cannot imagine. No cost is too much. When the oil prices fell in 1985 the oil companies QUIT looking for more oil. Stopped dead. Wages in the Alaska oil fields dropped by as much as 50%. UAW members are not even close to being squeezed like the oil field workers were from 1986 until about 2001. The 1990s were not good for the oil industry at all. Everyone else was fat dumb and happy. Where were the screams for the oil field workers losing their jobs and getting huge cuts in pay. It is cyclic and now it is their turn to make money and we pay at the pump.
    Now I know why you defend the oil industry so much - you practically work for them! :lemon:
    I was there when half our crew got laid off because the price of oil collapsed in 1985. Actually the only thing that pulled Alaska out of a depression was the Exxon Valdez tanker spill. That pumped a couple billion into the state and carried us through till the price rebounded. Alaska oil cannot compete with OPEC oil when they really open the valves. It costs something like $4 per barrel to deliver oil to the USA from Saudi. Anything over that will be money in the Sheiks pocket. Alaska is more in the $8-$10 range. That is why opening ANWR is a strategic move. It would give more known reserves to fall back on.

First: it would take with our current capacity 30-40 years to get all the known oil out of ANWR. You do not open a valve and out comes 10 billion barrels. Second: it is much easier and environmentally safer to get at the oil in the Arctic than say off the coast of Florida. ANWR is exactly the same as the Prudhoe Bay oil field. Same waterfowl, caribou & bears. We have gotten along fine with them for 30+ years and none have been endangered. It is strictly a political game.
    They any and all of the companies that profit from the sale of energy commodities.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    And all the politicians who have get their palms greased, too...

Last year's energy bill speaks volumes. The old 'golden rule'...
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    up 10 cents to 2.59x x=9
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    ...took a trip to NYC yesterday from central VA. Prices back home are $2.39 at best, $2.45 in many places (for 87). On the NJ Turnpike, Sunoco 87 was going for only $2.24! I filled up of course. When I got to NYC, gas was $2.51, only slightly higher than at home.

NJ is full-service only, by the way (by law). Well, "full service" in the sense that you can't pump it yourself. Not that you get your windshield cleaned or anything!

Weird!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Prices are now averaging around $2.54 to $2.67 for 87 octane. It's jumped close to $.20 this past week alone. What the heck is going on with the Oil Market...did I miss something lately? Last time I looked, it was hovering around $58.00 a barrel.

The Sandman :confuse:
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Prices are up 20 cents in the past week here, too.

Just a pre-gouge for the summer...in 4 or 5 months people will be pining for today's prices.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    How many we will see it by summer ?

Rocky
    Just filled with diesel $2.83.
    Regular was up to $2.61 at ARCO. Premium was same as diesel $2.83.

3 weeks ago when I filled with diesel it was $2.85. Gas was at $2.41.

Maybe you are right Rocky. They will meet at $3 per gallon for gas and diesel.
    I noticed the Shell station is up to $2.559 for 87 octane. Also noticed that the '79 NYer I'm driving is down to about 1/4 tank, so I'm probably going to be needing to fill up soon. That's really about the only time that I start hating my big, old battlecruisers, is fill-up time! :sick:

Normally I'd drive my Intrepid, especially once prices start shooting up, but I let my uncle borrow it because both of his cars are laid-up. '03 Corolla's in the body shop and his '97 Silverado's at the transmission shop.

On the plus side though, I found out that my Intrepid is still capable of pretty good fuel economy, even at its age and mileage (115,000). My uncle drives about 60 miles each way to work, and while it's mostly highway, sometimes he runs into some really bad gridlock. And he said that since he's been driving my Trep, he's hit some of the worst congestion he can remember! Anyway, he's averaging around 27.5 mpg, which ain't too bad. In comparison his Corolla would average between 34-38 though. But he'd be lucky to get 18-19 out of his pickup.

Lately, when I'd drive my Intrepid, I'd be lucky to get 18 mpg out of it, but most of my driving lately has been very short-trip. I think I did get around 22.6 mpg out of the last tank though, probably because I did a bit more highway, but we're also off the oxygenated crap now too.

Funny though, in the past whenever we'd go on the oxygenated stuff for the winter, even though I've heard a lot of people say it gives you bad economy, can mess up your fuel pump, etc, I've never had a problem with it.
  • dkoopdkoop Member Posts: 26
    That's not just the pre-summer gouge. In Florida we have the in-season gouge and the spring break gouge, too! Bottom line is we're about $0.25 per gallon more than almost anyone else in the eastern half of the US pretty much year round. :sick: I still haven't figured out why we are paying sooooo much more for diesel vs regular gas. :mad:
    ...was $2.79 this Sunday! I never let my cars go less than 3/4 before I fill it up. It doesn't hurt as bad. When I got my Park Avenue, the tank was about 1/4 full. It took $37.00 to fill it in November! Dang!
    ...I tanked up in NJ on the way home from NYC. Still $2.24 there yesterday for 87 at all the Sunoco service plazas on the NJ Turnpike.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    ghastly prices are staying similar here in snowy Pocatello, ID. Holding around $2.23/gal for 87 no-lead. It can stay odd reasoning around here, then, for that matter. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Sitting at $2.49.

Oddly enough, on the PA Turnpike, where the captive audience usually has to pay more, a friend reported $2.39
    I also think we will see $3 this summer. With prices spiking this much in March, I almost shutter to think what they'll be this summer.
    Oh My GAWD. I saw $2.59 in Amarillo today, but $2.79 ouch ! $2.49 in my new hometown in Dumas, Tx. I guess the rumor of $3.00 bucks isn't to far away huh ?

Let's elect them again, if you can afford too. :sick:

Rocky
    Who's THEM?
    Who's them?

I do believe he is referring to the Left and Right side of the aisle of Congress. Do remember several of the leading members on the Left side of the aisle, believe gas should be at least $5 per gallon. This in their minds would slow down the usage. Of course they all have plenty of money to support their garages full of Lincoln town car & Suburbans. Gas is of little consequence, even if the price were $20 per gallon.

I look for a dip following Spring Breaks, up until the summer season. I feel for the gas station managers. They have to hire a full time person to change the prices.
    "Them" as in Republicans and Democrats. ;)

Rocky
    ....THEM works on what they sould be working on, getting us off of fossil fuels all together, the better off we'll be. THEM needs to be pushing for more R&D on alternative energy sources.
    Good God, it'll be $3.00 by May! Looks like I'll be trading the Seville for a Neoplan or GM bus!
    Yes they have done a bang up job on the EV boondoggle in the 90s. Now the hydrogen boondoggle of the 21st century. Why can't they see that there ain't no free lunch. Ethanol still takes more energy to produce than you get in the form of fuel. Coal to fuel and tar sands are there but also more expensive than buying oil from other countries.
    We are the only major country getting our gas cheap. Even Canada our number one supplier of oil, pays more at the pump than we do. Close to $3.25 USD a gallon for gas. Diesel is about 40 cents a gallon cheaper.
    ...for the past 3 days. :surprise:

Depending on vendor, $2.43 to $2.59 regular 87.
  • rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    somewhere between 2.49 to 2.51 for 87 octane. I hope I can ride this one out--that is if it's a spring break related spike.

The oil companies want to get all the kids money too :sick:
    We are paying just as much for our gas as any of the other countries, it's just that they're paying more taxes than we are.
    What is your point? Money spent for gas is money spent. A better gauge would be the percentage of your income spent on gas. I think you will find our wages are higher and taxes lower than the developed countries around the world.
    deficit than them. Aahaha. I hope we're not giving the government any ideas...
    in snowy, icy eastern Idaho. Here in Pocatello the 87 no-lead price has been fixed on 2.23/gal for over a week. It's prompted me to chime in here and report. I heard today that ghastly prices will rise in the spring as usual but not badly because U.S.reserves are sitting good right now. Is that refined ghastly reserves or oil reserves?

Something tells me that ain't all the truth, dudes. There's more lurking underneath the ugly belly of this monster that we may not want to know about.

For one thing, ghastly has been closer to $2.00/gal for 87 no-lead in other areas of the country but not here in Pocatello, ID. Does it cost more to ship it here? That 'ole lame excuse?

Doesn't sit well with me. I'm leaning towards getting that Scion xA or Kia Rio for model year 2006 again. ;)

I want to see Yellowsone and the Tetons and travel all over this state this spring and summer and would rather get 35 mpg highway output.

Well, $2.00 gas is a distant memory for most people reporting here lately. In fact your report of $2.23 beats out by one cent the price I paid for Sunoco 87 as part of the "captive audience" on the New Jersey Turnpike this past weekend.

Here in central VA, the lowest I've seen today is $2.42 at Hess.

Most others here have been reporting prices at about this level and higher.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    Paid $2.53 for 87 this morning
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    $2.69 in Georgetown.

Potomac was $2.61-63. Found it in Rockville for $2.59, still not cheap. :sick:

-juice
    ....gas prices should start easing a bit because of plenty of reserves. So far, I haven't seen any easing.
    the low fuel light on my '79 NYer finally came on. And it's not nearly as forgiving as the one in my Intrepid, so I figured I'd better give in. Gas at the Citgo was $2.559/$2.659/$2.719. I thought briefly about putting 87 octane in, even though it makes the valvetrain clatter under hard acceleration. But then I thought, is that worth it to save two bucks?

So I just bit the bullet and put 89 in, which it seems happy on. I don't know how how much it would have taken, but I stopped it at 50 bucks, which came out to around 18.8 gallons.

For some reason the lines at the gas station last night were immense...seemed more like a Friday evening on payday than your typical Wednesday evening around 6:30. Is there some big catastrophe looming on the horizon that I don't know about?
    Maybe the report of reserves being high is showing up at the pumps. normally all the stations around here are pretty much in lockstep, but with the majority of places at $2.49, I saw one station had dropped to $2.47 and another is at $2.45 today
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    you have a cr-v, post on the escape vs cr-v thread and are trying to take over my central ct gas prices posts too?
    you must be a stalker. :)
    where is gas 2.53? i post the prices from the exxon on route 6 in farmington. they are not the lowest or highest, but i drive by there a couple of times a day.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    :cry:

Rocky
    $2.23/gal for 87 no-lead in any particular gas station in Pocatello, ID, these days. Variance is in the downward direction-I have seen 87 for $2.21 in a few places, too.

This discussion has been closed.