Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    way too time consuming to set them up and take them down every day. so, you get to see them unmanned quite often.

in the NE, that is often 3-5 years that you have to put up with the same work zones.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Should at least be permissible to drive a normal speed if no workers are present.

Some fun on the roads this afternoon. Got behind a minivan on an exit ramp, one I usually take at 50 (yellow sign 40) - I was thinking that this van was going to crawl, but I was wrong - the thing flew through the long curve at maybe 55, and once on the surface street, tore down the road weaving through traffic. Shocking. Then while on the foot saw another zillion phone holders, a woman in a Land Rover dawdle at a light and then floor it (sounded awful), woman in a CTS coupe blow through a red light with an occupied crosswalk, and saw a cop make a right turn from a straight lane, then dawdle down the cross street.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    My feelings on traffic camera tickets is that if they send me a picture of my car, then I will send them a picture of my money.

In DC, there is a camera in the D street tunnel. I live in Northern Virginia, and I normally do not go to that part of town, so I had NO IDEA there was a camera (nor was there a posted speed limit sign in that section of the tunnel). I had to go to a government site for 10 days, and got 7 tickets for 60 in a 45. They sent me $900 worth of tickets, but thanks to DC bureaucracy, I never heard from them again. That was 6 years ago. I guess they know that out of state drivers are not going to pay them anyway. Also, I work downtown, and no one has ticketed my car or booted it so I got of easy I guess.
  • The worst highway for inexplicable work zones is the Penna Tnpk (I-76). Lots of cones and lane closures...but no workers! Not one. This happened many times over the 35 years I have been visiting family in Buffalo twice a year to visit. Also, they seem to love closing one lane while going uphill in the mountains, and that lane is always occupied by a semi doing 12 MPH. Infuriating.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    If you want to go 45, get onto a minor highway and let drivers drive. Everyone in the country isn't in bland middle America with nowhere to go and all day to get there.

Tell that to the 2 semi drivers and the limo driver who were the blocking trio last Sunday holding up a very, very long line of drivers in vehicles behind them. The Semi drivers could have been from anywhere in the U.S., perhaps the left coast. The limo had a local tag.

The nuttiest drivers anywhere in the U.S. apparently are in the Sleepless area as duly reported on this Inconsiderate board.
    I don't know, CA and FL among others are pretty nutty too - and faster. If you really want to go 45, maybe you should move here - as plenty of so-called "drivers" on I5 around Seattle, and 405 between Bellevue and Renton especially, seem to be afraid to move past that dangerous insane speed.

The blocking semi drivers could also have been from the middle, and thinking "I'm not speeding, I can be in any lane I want, these speeds are too high, slow down!". I've seen the "elephant races" of one truck passing the other at .5mph more in Europe, too.
    Fun today - young woman with huge sunglasses in one of the Lincoln crossover things aggressively merges onto a highway, veers left - only to instantly be caught in a backup. Made me laugh.

Saw a WSP car sitting in traffic - first a car in front of it turns with no signals, then a car turning from a side street barely slows for red and turns - LEO does nothing. I notice why as he starts moving - he's eating a burger. Must be a busy day.

Typical amount of phone yappers out today, always seems to be about 3/4 oblivious young women. One today was in a Land Rover Defender - kind of odd, must be out in daddy's toy.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2013
    If they are texting, send them to Thumb Wars.

Must be part of a cell class-action settlement or something.
    That would be typical of this overlawyered eventual idiocracy - a class action by people who lack the self-discipline and logic to not text while driving :sick:
    edited June 2013
    Sunny day here today, which seems to have surprised the locals. First off, old woman in a Crosstour, going ~20 in a 35, left lane of a 4 way arterial, no traffic. I was cruising up the right lane at about the limit, as I approach her, she randomly moves into the right lane, I veer around her. Funny that had her ignorance caused a crash, it would have been ruled my fault. Then at an intersection, I am patiently sitting at a red light, Suburban coming from the right stops on green and eventually encouraged to move again by vehicles behind. Then at a grocery store - little parking, greybeard small man syndrome sufferer in a lifted Dodge diesel wedges his overcompensator into a small spot, by driving over a curbed grassy median and parking halfway on it. WTH? Finished it off by getting behind an E-class who pulled out blindly from a parking lot, then went 20 in a 30, then in low speed traffic kept ~3 car lengths behind anyone...I had to hit the horn. Oh, and a woman in a Pathfinder yapping on the phone weaving like a drunk.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited June 2013
    In the San Diego region, our freeways more often have 4 lanes or more rather than 3 lanes or less. Given the abundance of lanes, it is especially agravating when you encounter left lane campers. MLC's are less obstructive due to the 4+ lane idea. If it was 3 lanes or less, then MLC's can be a problem.

With 4 lanes, it should be 2 lanes on the left are fastest/fast, and two lanes on the right are slow/slowest.

The fact that we have some sections with 6 lanes and you still get LLC's should be penalized by death. The more lanes available, the larger the fine should be for LLC. 3 lanes LLC should be $300, 5 lanes $5,000, 6 lanes = death.

SEcond that motion?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I'm laughing because the construction zone speed is set for a reason. Going 75 through the zone is not safe or they would have the limit at 75 mph.

Do you honesty still believe most speed limits are set with safety in mind? I don't believe they even regard safety in their list of considerations, although they may state that in words or speech.

If they did want to set safe speed limits, they'd follow the 85th percentile rule.

No, I'm afraid most speed limits are set with the maximizing of revenue in mind.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    My feelings on traffic camera tickets is that if they send me a picture of my car, then I will send them a picture of my money.

That's funny.

In CA, they are so money hungry that stunt would probably get you a false accusation brought forth for creating counterfiet money with your pictures, and then fine you for counterfitting currency. Counterfeit charges would be my fear based on my experience with the CA courts.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    MLCs are not egregiously bad as LLCs, but they can be annoying iimpediments to normal traffic/drivers too!

MLC to me depends heavily on where you are. In a truly urban area, the density of exits (and sometimes the tendency for lanes to randomly peel away) dictates that the middle lane is the best option.

When I started driving in the NW Indiana suburbs of Chicago, I-94 in Indiana and the Tri-State in Illinois were 3 lanes each direction. No lanes randomly lost, but an exit every mile or two. Dad always said (and I have agreed) that "The right lane is for getting on or off, the middle lane is for driving, and the left lane is for passing." I still use that approach when I'm on the 3+ lane expressways in Louisville, but I recognize that it doesn't apply on the more rural Interstates that have gone to 3+ lanes over the last 10-20 years, where the exits are spaced several miles apart.

If the exits are consistently less than 2 miles apart, it's not MLC.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE

Saw this across the street when I got home today. I think the car was turning left from the side street, Durango was also turning left onto the side street,and they hit. But I could be wrong. Nice spill from it, too.

Didn't see much else other than the usual volume of phone holders/yappers.
    Just one glaring idiot yesterday...

getting on the Gene Snyder (I-265) the ramp from Westport has a bit of an annoying last curve, but nothing I can't enter at 50-55 and use modest power to hit the merging point at 65 (which is the SL). So yesterday I was behind an early Volvo S80, and the driver took her time getting to 45-50, and then entering that curve, hit the BRAKES! And was still tapping them even in a straight line, now at 40mph. When I finally got by, I realized the problem... the curve was too sharp to steer one-handed while holding a cell phone to her head. Silly me.
    Not really inconsiderate, but it was odd and created a traffic jam. Got out of work to gridlock, traffic backed up for a mile, a mess. Saw a fire truck heading through traffic, and stopped near where I was headed, and where the bottleneck was. An Outback was stopped in the left lane of a 4 lane road, and was either full of curtains and plastic bags, or all of the airbags deployed. Odd, because the car had no visible damage, and there was really nothing in the immediate area to hit anyway. I wonder what happened.

Nothing else of note, seemed like less phone yappers than normal, did see a young woman in a G-wagen with a phone to her ear - way past time for wealth based fines.
    did see a young woman in a G-wagen with a phone to her ear - way past time for wealth based fines.

So, is this typical for drivers of this brand? Not a clue about driving and capabilities. Only know that the brand has a cache. Have to have to impress. Have the money from "greed" and can afford to buy rather than buying something less ostentatious and donating the rest to charity. Is this inconsiderate to drive these expensive vehicles as an in your face greed message?
    I see a lot of well kept members of the fairer set yapping while driving their tall isotanks, and I see what seems like an inordinate amount of luxobarges usually chosen by the executrash set doing the same. If a vehicle has internal bluetooth, there's no excuse for the phone nonsense - and there should be penalties to match. Driving the vehicles isn't the issue. It's inconsiderate to not use the technology if it is there, usually because the driver is technically illiterate, and has never answered to anything in their lives.

It could be an attentional bias on my part, but I doubt it.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Driving "these expensive vhicles" by successful people who earned them, through advanced education beyond HS is not an "in your face greed message". It is what they choose to afford while paying off their extensive post graduate university loans. As for donating to charity - upper income tax payers are already donating considerably to others via their portion of the I T that goes to Health, Education, & WELFARE. Those who attract your envy know what they did to achieve their status while others not as successful know equally as well what they failed to accomplish to do the same. Be happy for those whose status is above for they are more likely to be an employer of many who have come to depend on them. :)
    edited June 2013
    LOL yeah, flighty young fairer-set in 100K vehicles "earned" them, certainly not belonging to parental largesse or especially a certain group who marries lucky. And bozo aging exec types certainly earned it too, in no way is it a combination of lucky birth and less competition. Nope, all hard work, education, honest and ethical dealings.
    edited June 2013
    For every dollar spent on the 99% at least 2 dollars are spent on the 1%.

So yes, people should complain about welfare, the welfare for CEO's and big corporations mainly based on Wall Street.
    How do you explain MLC's when there are 6 lanes?

What about LLC's when there are 6 lanes?

Often times, the right lane becomes the fast lane in heavy traffic due to all the campers.
    How do you explain MLC's when there are 6 lanes?

What about LLC's when there are 6 lanes?

Did you see my use of the word "sometimes?" Or the phrase "depending on where you are?"

You'll find me in the rightmost lane that I can maintain desired speed, and no, I'm not above changing lanes (99% of the time to the left) to pass. If the exits are closely spaced, that won't be the far right lane. In several urban areas (such as Louisville), that might be the #3 lane out of 5, because #4 and #5 tend to randomly peel off as Exit Only lanes.
    On foot this morning, I can say the worst/most oblivious drivers were in Range Rovers and X5s. Do these things have both no turn signals, and a seating position that prevents the driver from turning their empty head?
    edited June 2013
    Drove down south of Seattle on 405/5, then north of the city on 5, then back home on 5/405 - about 80 miles of driving. Quite a few LLCs out there today - white box vans and big pickups especially, but a middle aged woman in a Lexus ES sticks in my head. Saw an aggressively driven semi with Canadian plates weaving around and trying to pass people on the right - they are notorious for that kind of thing here. Saw a Jag F-type probably going 80-90 on northbound 5, but traffic was sparse, didn't matter.
    Are in Kentucky. I might actually go for 2 months without hearing about a school bus accident here in Louisville because most of the schools are out... and I bailed out an incompetent bus driver today.

Usually it seems like there's at least one school bus crash per month in the Louisville Metro. I had never heard of so many school bus crashes, and wrote it off to a lot of buses logging a lot of miles in a bussed district, or maybe extra media attention due to the infamous 1988 crash (in which the bus driver and passengers were the victim of a wrong-way drunk driver). There was even another fatal bus crash in one of the outlying areas within the last year, which was the result of the bus driver going too fast and losing control.

Today I was driving down the Gene Snyder, and spotted a school bus well ahead of me in the left lane. This was near the Shelbyville Road interchange, so I figured he was making room for merging traffic, and he was up to the speed limit (65mph). As I get closer, I see that he has his hazards on.

Another 3 miles later, we are past I-64 and all the on-ramp business is sorted out. The school bus continued to LLC at the speed limit or just above, still with his hazards on. I'm just closing up in the right lane, doing about 72, figuring I'll just go by. I had my nose up to the rear wheel when he started coming over. And this was no drift... he kept coming over. I lay on the horn and take evasive action to the right. I was just starting to get my left-sides on to the rumble strips when he finally jerked back left and let me get back on the road.

The kicker is it was a charter bus full of kids. WTF? LLCing, hazards, and just plain running me off the road. I'm now convinced Kentucky really has the worst school bus drivers!
    No, I wasn't around this one, but it's a good reminder to expect the unexpected whenever you encounter a school bus in Kentucky...

http://www.wave3.com/story/22562375/loaded-school-bus-involved-in-injury-acciden- t
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    He probably forgot to turn the hazards off after the last railroad track stop. Are these local school district buses, or contracted ones such as First Student or Durham?
    He probably forgot to turn the hazards off after the last railroad track stop. Are these local school district buses, or contracted ones such as First Student or Durham?

Interesting theory... makes me wonder how long they had been on. I had seen him on the freeway for several miles before he helped me get acquainted with the rumble strips, and the surprisingly cambered shoulder.

Today's buses (the one that ran me off the road, and the one that crashed in the afternoon) were both charter buses. To be fair, the one that crashed on I-64 had some catastrophic failure that involved a wheel coming off, which caused it to take a hard left from the right-most of 3 lanes, after which it went nose-first into the Jersey barrier. Actually there was some vivid footage from the dashcam of a semi that was just behind.
    edited June 2013
    Driving home today had nothing bad - even with the 13mph average speed due to negligent traffic controls and the untouchables who manage them.

But when on foot...saw numerous phone holding yappers including several in cars I know have bluetooth, got crosswalk crowded by a couple of older women in a Lexus LS (who I yelled at as a window was down), and a guy on a motorcycle yelling at a guy in a car who possibly almost changed lanes into him.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I found out Iowa is popular with campers this time of year... LLCers, that is. On a round trip today from the Twin Cities to Des Moines, I saw more LLCers than I have in any other one-day period. Ever. Maybe the rain had something to do with it, I don't know.

At times it was very hard rain, very dark, very poor visibility. Yet still a few idiots like a black A6 driving with no lights on. You'd think a car like that would have automatic lights. Even the stripper Malibu rental I was driving had them. But I had the headlights "on" the whole trip... automatic lights don't always come on when lights should be on.
    edited June 2013
    Rough plodding drive home tonight - local yokels seemed slower than usual, combined with negligently managed (I should have pursued public sector work) traffic controls made for gridlock everywhere. Another 15mph average speed even though half the way is on 40mph roads. At a metered on-ramp, saw a Pacifica jam to a stop for no reason in the carpool lane (confused idiot driver, of course) - motorcycle behind it had to do a nice swerve to avoid it. Best phone yapper was in a Z8 - driver looked pretty young, so I will wager daddy's car. And what's with staying a million car lengths back at lights and when going 20? And once again noticed that M3s can't take off at under 3K rpm and must average 6K rpm from there on.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    I should have pursued public sector work

Oh, I don't know about that! As much as you loathe the lack of accountability, I would hate to see you harbor such self-loathing! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I'd probably be canned in the first year probation period or however they work it. I'd dare to try to fix things, which would upset the old guard, no doubt.

Been noticing lately that lots of people won't run their headlights around 0530 (when I go to work) - sure there is light in the sky, but not a ton. What's the mentality behind this? Trying to appear stealthy or save some imagined .00001 mpg?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    It's .0001, but yeah. :P

Maybe they all just came from a vacation in Fairbanks! People here drive around the clock without lights now. Yes, you can do so and see the road just fine, but it would really nice if they used lights from at least 2300 - 0400 given the low-angle light and/or glare during those hours.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    As you have seen the lightless, they obviously are visible to the rest of your area as well so they don't need to be on. ;)
    If everyone else was as hyper-attentive as I, the roads would be a much better place :shades:
    That's related to a problem I see here - even in the early morning light, areas shaded by trees (many roads here are fully under a tree canopy) are still pretty dark.

Something else I have noticed on a couple local cars - those with automated running lights (MBs) have been disabled. It's a simple change in the settings, but why would someone want to be less visible?
    Today saw a transit bus enter a major intersection well after yellow, went through red, dawdled in front of cars it cut off on the cross street, before stopping. Why?

Last night got to honk at a slow turner who honked back. Hey, you're in the wrong, stopping in the middle of the road for nothing then turning at 2mph. Watch yourself. Saw a simp in a Scion turning at ~3mph from an arterial street, too. Watch out for that cornering force!
    While on foot this morning, saw a dope in a Bentley convertible, top down, phone to his ear. Take some gall to do it right out in the open - but if the past 30 or so years of economic policy have taught us, this is not an egalitarian society. All I could think to yell was "hang up, you big idiot" :shades:
    While on foot this morning, saw a dope in a Bentley convertible, top down, phone to his ear.

We really need big government, big brother, to make laws to require technology that will not allow cell calls in moving vehicles, whether driver is doing it or a passenger. Calls to 911 would be allowed to be processed. Drivers making cell calls are stupid, selfish, reckless and finally, cannot manage their lives to make their phone calls at their homes and offices. They are disorganized and dumb.
    Pipe dream. The tech will be defeated by an app written by an ambitious 5th grader 30 seconds after such legislation is put into play. Not to mention, telecom lobbyists are hard working and well funded. No argument about the disorganized and dumb though.

Inconsiderates today - only one person turning from a straight only lane, and typical depressingly low turn signal use.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This could perhaps alert you to inconsiderate drivers. Uninsured ones at least.

"They look like ordinary license plates until they're activated, after which they light up, or even flash, with selected messages. According to the company's Web site, those messages could read "Uninsured," "Expired," "Suspended," "Stolen," or even "Amber Alert."

Electronic License Plates Spark Concerns About Big Brother
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited June 2013
    >We really need big government, big brother, to make laws to require technology that will not allow cell calls in moving vehicles, whether

Maybe we could just have the NSA deactivate their phone anytime they dial and the phone switches cell tower. :)

Actually I think we have enough big brother and need less government control.

>Drivers making cell calls are stupid, selfish, reckless and finally, cannot manage their lives to make their phone calls at their homes

I keep thinking about the 80% of young females driving during the daytime hours in this area who are on the cell phone. It's their social time when they get behind the wheel--hand gestures, laughing, anger, etc., all kinds of emotions show on their faces and in their actions while on their phones.

I always thought the "Baby on Board" signs were stupid since the driver should just be extra careful instead of acting like it's up to everyone else to protect thier bundle-of-joy on board.

We need "Cell Phone in Use" signs. ;)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

We probably don't need the government to manage tech that disables phones in motion - they simply lack the mettle to develop something to any workable level - not that such a level even exists. There are other solutions to this issue, and they all revolve around accountable and consistent enforcement.

I am surprised "Baby on Board" signs don't make the vehicle a target, like the stupid stick figure family decals often seen on obese SUVs and oblivious minivans. Around my area, one could also sell an "Anchor Baby on Board" :shades: I too notice phone yappers often (but not always) revolve around a certain demographic.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited June 2013
    I"d forgotten about the obnoxious little decals stuck on the back windows to tell how many cats, dogs, kids, etc., are in the family.

Do they have a decal of a person with a cell phone stuck to their ear for me to look at when I'm behind them at a stoplight and they're not moving.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Attn Fin: If you want to be helpful in a positive way, use your visual & verbal acuity to remind the other driver his tabs have expired. :D
    That's something local yokels usually keep up with, but some like to put the new sticker over the month or in the middle of the plate etc :confuse:

I am sure 1%er trickle down creator in the Bentley had current registration, maybe good insurance for when he eventually hits someone,too :sick:
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    seems wrong to characterize cellfone-using-drivers with such a blanket statement, xrunner2. as for big-government nanny, it's just a matter of computing & administrative resources to do as you ask - the video cameras are already up & running over many/most highways in USA.

please let's forget about *talking* on the cellphone as a supposed problem, because there is a worse problem: the amount of texting/emailing that goes on during commuting is huge - especially when traffic gets too dense for cops to see/detain anyone.

how about the inevitable implementations using existing video cameras above every recent highway - they can look at hands of the driver and identify the texters/web-surfers via image-recognition and send them tickets.

most highways already have plenty of existing video cameras. all vehicles' speeds can be calculated accurately between every pair of cameras - by computer using video data already being captured.

how about each driver gets hundreds of deserved/valid/retroactive tickets for all their 2010-2012 driving/speeding/texting. the stored videos can be replayed/re-analyzed any time in the future, and tickets sent out for speeding/texting that occurred years ago.

smile, you're on candid camera !