Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    The salesperson doesn't have the authority to tell you if they can't fix it you can get another one. Unless, he means you can get another one by paying for another one.

Check your states lemon law. A door that won't close properly, that the dealership is unable to fix, is a good reason for the dealer to refund your money.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • lmplmp Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with my 2005 Odyssey - of course it is intermittent - and of course the dealer cannot replicate it. Periodically after idling in Park, and then shifting into Drive - the car will only reverse. Any depression of the accelerator causes the car to go backwards. The transmission will not reset until I turn the car off and then back on again.

Any ideas about what may be happening ?? Thanks !
  • goldenbeadgoldenbead Member Posts: 5
    I also have a 2005 Odyssey with 11,000 miles, had it towed back to the dealer yesterday morning (10/12). Drove it the night before, and it was pulling, stalling, then revving, happened 5 times during a 6 minute drive, then check engine light came on. Afraid to drive it, at home I looked up possible problems on internet...long story short, the transmission is being replaced, under warranty, not a penny out of my pocket. It's a scary feeling, a new car shouldn't being "slipping" into neutral, or reverse for that matter....the service manager admitted to me this morning Honda is having a problem with these transmissions, but haven't seen one as "young" as my car. Have them run diagnostics on the transmission, don't pay a dime either!!....Good Luck....
  • k5rcbk5rcb Member Posts: 1
    Perry...I have the exact same problem. Is there a "fix" that you are aware of for this susposed "drift to the right design"? Ball Honda in National City told me today that there was a kit they could order, but I hadn't done any research prior to going in, so wasn't aware of this "design". thanks....Rick
  • buddyzunigabuddyzuniga Member Posts: 63
    Beware of the "New Transmission." When I looked under my 04' Odyssey to admire my shiny new transmission, I was very suprised to see that the tansmission case looked old and used. I called the dealer and he assured me that it was a "New Transmission." Long story short, he assured me that it was a remanufactured tranny and the work was done by Honda. He claimed that the only thing about my tranny that was used was the outer case. I would rather have had a real new transmission inside and out but claimed that the only was to get a completely new one would be to get it off of the assembly line in the Honda factory. Is this true?? I don't know. To me new is "New" not rebuilt. Good luck. P.S It leaked from day one.
    Beware of the "New Transmission." When I looked under my 04' Odyssey to admire my shiny new transmission, I was very suprised to see that the tansmission case looked old and used. I called the dealer and he assured me that it was a "New Transmission." Long story short, he assured me that it was a remanufactured tranny and the work was done by Honda. He claimed that the only thing about my tranny that was used was the outer case. I would rather have had a real new transmission inside and out but he claimed that the only was to get a completely new one would be to get it off of the assembly line in the Honda factory and not even the dealership could do that. Is this true?? I don't know. To me new is "New" not rebuilt. Good luck. P.S It leaked from day one.
  • j0mammaj0mamma Member Posts: 26
    1. Fit and finish seems to be "B" grade both inside and out.
    2. The Driver door is about 4millimeters, 1/8th of an inch out of allignment with the frame.
    3. I get a clanking sound from where I think the transmission is when I put the car in drive when it's cold and backing out of the driveway.
    4. Engine refinement is better in my 2000 Honda CRV-SE with 80,000 miles in it. I get a rough "feeling" from the steering wheel at 2000-2800 rpm's while accelerating gently.
    5. FUEL Economy is dismal. I got better MPG from my 2000 BMW M5 putting around the town than this thing. I'm getting 290 miles a tank! CRAP!
    Anyone out there think I'm crazy or have you seen the same thing?
  • jack_bcjack_bc Member Posts: 1
    Using either the A/C or heat mode and then turning off the system (more noticeable). I can hear a noise from behind the dash. It sounds like a creaking noise. It's not always in one location. If I turn the temperature knob to full cold then the noise goes away ( but not completely) The noise is just annoying. So I'm wondering if there is a fix I can do myself.

Thanks.
    I have a 2006 Odyssey and the MPG is TERRIBLE. I'm getting the same MPG you are and I'm driving under the ECO mode almost all of the time. I was expecting BETTER than factory tested 20/28 mpg. I feel this is totally fraud. On ALL of my other vehicles I can expect BETTER MPG than the sticker/testing just by driving more economically. There is something wrong here, and I'm not happy with the results.
    Can you tell me what % of driving you did on the freeway against city driving? Also were you trying to conserve gas? My MPG is 15 mixed and I'm getting a little worried.
    I don't feel the vibration you're talking about but the weird feedback I get from the wheel at 2000-2800 rpm's is disheartening. I USED to love honda products, but now I'm a little disgusted. Also I experience the same terrible mpg; and driving like a slow poke to do it. Just not worth driving slow to attempt to get 16mpg.
    I will say that owners of domestic vehicles seem to be more content with the problems they have with their cars because that's why they purchased them in the first place; so why would they post complaints to issues they're having when they're content with an inferior product? Oxymoronic don't you think?

Honda raised the bar on quality and what to expect when you own a honda product so you expect nothing short of perfection when you get one.

1. I love the ride on the Odyssey
    2. I love the stereo.
    3. I love the leather.
    4. I love the quiet cabin.
    5. I love the performance of the engine.
    6. I love the breaks
    7. I love the style
    8. I love the features...

I could go on and on. I've tried to drive a grand caravan, and other domestic vehicles, and there are more things I can't live with on those cars than any odyssey I've come across.

Maybe this is why the German automakers are starting to produce cross over vehicles...
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    I think for 05 Odys, Honda became sloppy on first year model build quality and low cost mentality.

I still love my 05 Odys, but sometimes I worry that it may not last 100K miles like typical Honda products. Things that concern me:

1. Reliability of its Auto Transmission (the most)
    2. Brake Performance
    3. Power Sliding doors

jt
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    "He doth protest too greatly..."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I will say that owners of domestic vehicles seem to be more content with the problems they have with their cars because that's why they purchased them in the first place; so why would they post complaints to issues they're having when they're content with an inferior product? Oxymoronic don't you think?

Maybe, just maybe......since the domestic designs are provened, tested, and have been in production a number of years, there just are no major teething problems? You can look at the DCX problem area, and see people are having problems with their 1995-2002 minivans, they're posting issues and asking for advice. Same is true for previous gen Oddys. My 05 DCX has been completely trouble free - not a single problem or recall.

Isn't the Oddy being built in a brand new plant? with brand new workers? building a brand new design? Whereas the DCXs are using existing plants, same workers, and same basic design.

socalawd........did you catch the condescending "inferior"???

YES!!! I have to admit, and while I'm at it, will speak for everyone who hasn't purchased a Honda Ody..... I bought my DCX with expectations of having many more problems!!! I'm sure everyone who didn't buy an Ody feels the same way too!! I was hoping to go back to the dealership for free coffee, donuts and car washes! I feel very cheated by DCX......how dare they produce an obvious inferior product with no recalls or major problems!!! That's what I wanted and expected!!!! I'm soooo upset with DCX, I'm gonna find myself a lawyer and sue them!!!!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I would rather have had a real new transmission inside and out but claimed that the only was to get a completely new one would be to get it off of the assembly line in the Honda factory. Is this true?? I don't know. To me new is "New" not rebuilt. Good luck. P.S It leaked from day one.

A "remanufactured" tranny should be every bit as good as a new one. It is not "rebuilt" which is more of a "bench top" procedure in a shop (aamco, etc.). A remanufactured tranny is typically a reused case with all new parts inside. It's done in an extremely clean, nearly sterile, environment on an assembly line just like a new one is built. There are new ones that leak from day one as well, that shouldn't have happened and you should have gotten it fixed. Could have been something simple like when the dealer installed the new pan/fluid. I would have no problems receiving a factory remanufactured tranny. I'd leave the "rebuilds" to the cars with higher mileage.
  • lemorlemor Member Posts: 3
    Hi pen, I have the same problem with wind noise and brought my Ody to dealer and they kept insisting the wind noise is normal, I even showed them the bulletin.
    Its really frustrating because its noisier than my Civic.Anyway, I just want to know what did you tell the dealer to convince them to fix it. Thanks-RN :confuse:
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Till date, the problems I have had with my 05 Odyssey (10,500 miles) are:

a) Noise from the brakes. The pads were replaced and the rotors resurfaced, both under warranty. That has taken care of it.
    b) Whistling noise from the windshield. Dealer asked me to drop off the car at the dealership to fix it. I am not in that much of a hurry to fix this, since I can live with it for a bit longer.

No other problems (keeping my fingers crossed) !
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    Maybe, just maybe......since the domestic designs are provened, tested, and have been in production a number of years, there just are no major teething problems? You can look at the DCX problem area, and see people are having problems with their 1995-2002 minivans, they're posting issues and asking for advice. Same is true for previous gen Oddys. My 05 DCX has been completely trouble free - not a single problem or recall

Well then maybe not. Of course this comes from someone who thinks these forums are the bottom line on cars. All other sources that are not of his opinion are void. BTW my 05 Ody has had no issues ethier and no recalls.

Isn't the Oddy being built in a brand new plant? with brand new workers? building a brand new design? Whereas the DCXs are using existing plants, same workers, and same basic design.

While I will admit the DCX has come a long way. The 2005' s will probably be about the same for reliability when the ever biased CR reports come out.

socalawd........did you catch the condescending "inferior"???

I catch something you know this is a Honda problem & solution and the only reason your here is to make fun of people's problems. Also I catch some Honda envy, it's ok let it out! ;)
    Well then maybe not. Of course this comes from someone who thinks these forums are the bottom line on cars. All other sources that are not of his opinion are void. BTW my 05 Ody has had no issues ethier and no recalls.

I think my explanation is more plausible then any offered so far. I note you offered nothing, just attacks on my opinion.

I catch something you know this is a Honda problem & solution and the only reason your here is to make fun of people's problems. Also I catch some Honda envy, it's ok let it out!

Again, have I made fun of someone's problems??? Have I attacked anyone??? All I did was offer a possible explanation, and point out the attitude.
  • mike102mike102 Member Posts: 2
    my wife has been complainting that the gas pedal is way too low and She been only 5'3" She hardly can reach it and the only way She could reach it would be moving Her sit all the way to the front but then the steering wheel would be against Her chest and She is afraid that if She gets in an accident and when the air bag deploy might cause Her some damaged for being so close, anybody could tell me if is away to adjust the pedal to bring it a little bit higher?

Thank You.
  • mike102mike102 Member Posts: 2
    my wife has been complainting that the gas pedal on Her 2002 Odyssey is way too low and She been only 5'3" She hardly can reach it and the only way She could reach it would be moving Her sit all the way to the front but then the steering wheel would be against Her chest and She is afraid that if She gets in an accident and when the air bag deploy might cause Her some damaged for being so close, anybody could tell me if is away to adjust the pedal to bring it a little bit higher?

Thank You.
  • sciencemanscienceman Member Posts: 80
    I have to say that I'm really surprised that I only get about 15 mpg with mostly in town driving. Like others, my conservationist style of driving allowed me to get better gas milage than EPA numbers on previous vehicles. After reading how manufacturers prepare for the EPA tests (hand built and specially tuned engines and such) in the OCT issue of Consumer Reports, I really believe Honda may have pulled a fast one with the new Ody--don't know, of course. (Note: the slow speeds during EPA testing don't really bother me, because these slow speeds are done across the board for all autos.) I hope I'm wrong and my gas milage increases.

Could it be that the iVTEC engine is not as good as advertised? I notice that cylinder deactivation doesn't really help the 2WD Pilot get much better milage than the 4WD Pilot without cylinder deactivation even though the 2WD version weighs less to boot. After being a a believer, I am now doubtful. If you're listening, Honda, I want you to know that I'm disappointed.

The SAE recently tightened the chain on how auto makers can report horse power (no more tests with no A/C, reduced engine oil amounts, etc.). Maybe the EPA will require auto makers to come to the tests with a vehicle right off the assembly line in the future.

Does anyone know what kind of fuel consumption rating the new Ody gets in Canada--they actually do real road testing up there. Of course, we don't know if the vehicles are tuned differently.
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    I think my explanation is more plausible then any offered so far. I note you offered nothing, just attacks on my opinion.

Explaination for what?? The fact that people don't post in the DCX forums? I explained this many times but you think otherwise it's really no bother to me. The reliability is probably very close. There just isn't much posted on the DCX board. Heck there is a investagation on 2001-2002 DCX vans where 35,000 vans had warrenty work flickering/dimming and shuting off headlights. Not a one in the DCX forum. Wierd no normal, they just aren't interested.

Again, have I made fun of someone's problems??? Have I attacked anyone??? All I did was offer a possible explanation, and point out the attitude

You constantly find one of a kind problems and then push them as normal. Here's a typicial quote! No you don't attack people individually you go for the whole group!

I go to the Dodge problem area and some poor guy is having problems with his 1994 Caravan. At 150k miles he's putting a new tranny in it!!

Then I see on the Honda problem area that Honda is putting new trannys in their new Oddys!!!! Someone else got a whole new engine in their 2005 Oddy with 600 miles.

God! I thought Hondas were the zenith of perfection??? I thought Hondas never have problems??? I see comments about Dodges alway being at Dealerships and never lasting more than 80k miles.

What's going on here????

You called me out to look at someone elses opinion. I really could care less if he think domestics are inferior. That's his call(opinion) At least Penn State is doing well, so you should be happy LOL!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Okay I think you've both made your points here and I'd like to ask that you take a breather from the one on one and let others in here. Thanks a lot! :P

MrShiftright
    Host
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Mike(?),

There is really no practical way to change the pedal position without doing major surgery on the linkage and related hardware.

My wife is 5' 2", and way back in college we had a block of 2x4" taped onto the pedal of her '69 Buick LeSabre so that she could reach it! Today, there are a good number of 'accessability shops' that can modify almost anything on a car to make it more fit for the handicapped (God forbid that should ever get back to my spouse!!!). But seriously, check out one of these shops. I am sure that they have big rubber blocks that graft onto the pedal for this purpose.

Steve
    Moving this where it belongs....
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >Does anyone know what kind of fuel consumption rating the new Ody gets in Canada--they actually do real road testing up there. Of course, we don't know if the vehicles are tuned differently.

Where can we get the data on cars from testing the "real" way in Canada. I'd like to see what different cars get for results.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I have a couple of same issues, the driver door never closed properly, in fact brought it back less than one month after buying it and they said "just give it a firm slam"...can't tell you how many times I come back out to the car and door is ajar ever so slightly 1/8 inch out ....always had a weird clunking noise with shifting, i am having new transmission put in as we speak, after 10 months and 11,000 miles, ...I also have mini-panic attacks when looking to left or right, severe blindspots for me, can lose a whole car in it, I am 5'8", thought the Honda was built for taller people, but the windshield has more "stylized do-dads" and i feel it's a safety issue...
    I had a better experience with 2000 Odyssey, only reason we turned it in was to get automatic doors....regretful.
    Thank you for the rebuilt transmission warning, I was wondering where the "part" was coming from, if Honda has a stockpile of unused '05 transmissions somewhere...honestly i don't want another '05 transmission, some are obviously defective. I am wondering if anyone out there has had experience enforcing the lemon law to return their car based on a need to replace transmission on Odyssey with less than 15k miles and less than one year old. I have done some research and in Massachusetts, apparently, I must allow one repair for a safety issue before proceeding with requesting a refund or replacement vehicle (the car is leased). Not sure if I want to lock horns with Honda or not, but also don't know if I want to chance another frightening episode with transmission jumping in and out of neutral with four kids in the car....
    I am wondering if anyone out there has had experience enforcing the lemon law to return their car based on a need to replace transmission in an '05 Odyssey with less than 15k miles and less than one year old. I have done some research and in Massachusetts, apparently, I must allow one repair for a safety issue before proceeding with requesting a refund or replacement vehicle (the car is leased). Not sure if I want to lock horns with Honda or not, but also don't know if I want to chance another frightening episode with transmission jumping in and out of neutral with four kids in the car....
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I think if you ignore him he will eventually go away.
  • pgriffin1pgriffin1 Member Posts: 5
    How do I replace the dust & pollen filter on my 2002 Honda Odyssey Van? Thanks, Phil Griffin
  • andrewsmamaandrewsmama Member Posts: 4
    You need to have a problem with the car 4 times in two years, at least that is the lemon law in NY. Check out your state. As far as American Honda goes, give them hell. I have a 2002 Ody and in starting 1 year ago my tranny went. I am now on my FOURTH tranny with 50,000 miles. Unbelievable!!!! Honda will only give me trade-in value for my car which I will not accept. I have gone through too much pain and suffering in the last year to take this sitting down. I have a complaint in on Honda to the Better Business Bureau. I am all ready to contact the news and newspapers. I will fight this. My car is unsafe and unreliable. I have two young children in it and do a lot of cross state driving. Who would feel comfortable driving in my car?? Not I.
    Thanks for your comments. I thought the fluid could have been from when the tranny was refilled, but it was wiped clean at least 3 times each time being in the morning before it was started. I asked the dealership service tech if he could wipe check and clean the area when he did an oil change and he said he did, only to wake up the next morning and again there it was. I was also concerned with the thought of how much heat that case may have been exposed to. I'm sure they check for cracks and stuff. Oh well, whatever, I traded it in 4 days after I picked it up from the Honda Collision Center and picked up an 06'. Thanks again for your input. ;)
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    phil- this is a tricky, time consuming, and frustrating job.

the filter goes into an assembly situated behind the glovebox.

here's one method i followed to do the job. YMMV.

you remove the rubber bumper tabs on both sides of the glovebox (which snap in) allowing the glovebox to drop down. back out two screws holding the box hinges, and remove the glovebox from your field of work.

you cut away a horizontal section of dash material (which probably added rigidity when the dash was originally installed in the car). it can be cut at both ends using metal snips, or a utility knife. this piece which must be removed hides a horizontal metal bracket obstructing access to the air/pollen/cabin filter door.

you back out two 8mm bolts to remove the metal bracket. you might want to see if you can leave the left-hand bolt backed out but still installed, removing the bolt on the right to see if you can get the bracket out of the way. the bolt on the left is a bear to re-install because it is situated behind the center dash garnish / multipurpose compartment door.

the filter compartment door un-snaps at the top and bottom.

observe the position of the filter. observe the direction of air-flow.

clear the area of debris. install the replacement filter in the proper position and orientation w.r.t. air-flow indication.

you need good light, patence, time, nerve.

when you are done, you'll wonder why they made this task so non-trivial.
  • msibillemsibille Member Posts: 275
    I found it a bit inconvenient, particularly if you don't have a good assortment of metric tools (a set of combination wrenches including some down to 6mm is handy), but I didn't fiind it to be that bad. (But then, I grew up working on GM vehicles where you had to remove the A/C compressor or pwr steering pump in order to change a spark plug -which occurred every 10000 miles at that time.)

Just follow the Honda instruction sheet for installation/removal.
    (Although, I may try not removing the left screw. Instructions call for removing the center console stuff, but if it can be accomplished without that, it would save some time. ) After the first time, you don't have to cut out the temporary brace that is molded in to hold the dash parts straight during assembly.
    OK I'll bite. What Honda Instruction Sheet for Installation / Removal? The Shop Manual? Somebody told me the information contained there-in wasn't that informative. I could see removing the center console stuff. The bolt on the left-hand side of the horizontal bar was the thing that took the most time and *effort*.

I wouldn't have complained about using time if accessing the left-hand bolt were made easier. It just wasn't obvious how that center console stuff came off.
    Hi All. Thank you so much for helping. I did drop the glove box & removed two phillips head screws, then figured out that there were more hidden in there somewhere. Why on earth would Honda make it so inconvenient to replace this filter? Several days ago I went to my local Honda dealer and asked about this procedure, the tech said "just drop the glove box & take out this metal rod" Yeah, Right! And by the way, The filter they sold me appears to be larger than the opening it's supposed to go into. I think a trip back to the Honda dealer is in order.
    I'll let ya'll know how it goes. (pgriffinifd@aol.com)
    You can also get them at H+A Accessories, the Edmunds sponsor. Usually their add is at the top of the Accord and Odyssey and Pilot forums for example.

I remember taking 2 screws out to completely drop the glovebox. You took the wrong ones off, perhaps? The ones to remove are the ones that go vertical from the floor, up through the hinge assembly on both sides.

2 screws and 2 8mm bolts. 1 piece of dash material (which you cut away and discard) covering the horizontal bar sits between you and success. ;)

two reasons to make it difficult: one they can get then allow service people to do the work and that means more profit for the dealership, and two: i think that metal bar adds a great deal to cabin integrity. it is heavy gauge and it is formed to increase strength in two dimensions.

seems like they could have designed something a bit easier to maintain...i agree.
    Hi All.
    Let me clarify a bit. After I dropped the glovebox, I could see the metal bar. It was not covered by plastic at all. It has a phillips head screw on the left & one on the right. I removed both of these & the metal bar would not come out. I can feel at least one additional fastener of some sort on the left & at least one on the right. They are hidden under the plastic. It looks to me like more dash plastic is going to have to come out to get to these hidden screws/nuts/bolts or whatever they are before I am going to be able to get the bar removed.
  • hondaconvert1hondaconvert1 Member Posts: 60
    Nope, you are correct, I am getting ready to get rid of the pathetic with so many issues 05 Odyssey EX-L RES and trade it in with an 06 Toyota Sienna... never ever ever ever.... ever.... ever again HONDA toooo many issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Has your TCS or the Check Engine light come back ON since you have changed your battery? By replacing your battery (disconnect the battery terminals from the old until connect to the new battery), you basically RESET your ody's computer system, so, the Check Engine and TCS lights will go off until abnormal condition triggers them to light again. So, I wonder if the Ody's electronic system is smart enough (or even has the logic/circuit) to warn owners that its battery need replacing..... Thank you and I look forward to your reply.
    How about bring the material (Page #1 and #2) in the URL below (Posted by other members of this forum) to your Pain-in-Rear dealership... Hoep it will help and Good Luck!!!

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/1121410800000_1123225200000_04-078/index.html
    Good for you! Best wish on your new 06 (Sienna ???).. Hahaha! I must say you are a loyal Honda customer. Its because of our experience with our 05 ody, I gave up the idea of buying a Ridgeline and the 06 Civic when it out....
  • msibillemsibille Member Posts: 275
    Instruction sheet that (should) be packed with the filter.
    I'm pretty sure it was enclosed in the package I got from HandA.
    If not, it's available on their website for dnload.

I was almost certain that the real prblmatic screws were hex hd, either 6 or 8mm hex.
    if you dropped the glovebox, and staring you in the face is a shiny metal bracket, then this means, someone had already serviced the pollen/air filter once. i remember on my metal bracket, the right and left were held on with 8mm bolts, which also probably had a phillips head affordance. you could use a screw driver. If they are out, the bar is probably held in with a metal tab and you have to slightly lift up before pulling out. look carefully at both ends and you'll see two tabs that fit into other holes.
  • lemorlemor Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. I did show that bulletin and they just ignore it and went on with our test drive. After the test drive, the service advisor said that everything is normal, (huh!). Still, its much noisier than my civic. :cry:
  • 05owner05owner Member Posts: 3
    Update:

4 months later at just over 10k miles the right rear Wheel Bearing had a similar problem, and had to be replaced.
This discussion has been closed.