Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here (retired discussion, please see the new one)

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    That's a good thing. You are in Suburban and Hummer country. Those poor folks in Hailey will be able to drive their Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen to the slopes every day. Or into Sun Valley for a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    2.47/2.57/2.67...that's up a bit but I can't recall what I paid last, exactly
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    On the radio this morning they predict prices will keep going up, well over $3 by the beginning of summer. Yikes.

-juice
    I have no doubts at all. IIRC the real gouge didn't start last year til September ot so...we'll just get it by June/July this year. Extra months of record profit.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    $2.33 in W. Ga. today.

I expect it to go up by a dime before next week. The barrel price seems to be up lately...due to China, disruptions, blah-blah-blah, SOS...
  • rocketjohnrocketjohn Member Posts: 2
    $2.37 for 85 octane in Denver is the cheapest I've found... Sam's Club...
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,672
    $2.639 per gallon for 87 octane at the Shell on my way in to work. Didn't notice the sign on the Citgo, but last I checked it was still at $2.559.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ...but it won't stay there because people will raise a big stink about it as always. To try to avoid looking like the barons they really are, prices will then be lowered again. I'm really sick and tired of the dam gouging!
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    yesterday? Pipe line burst, another hurricane, someone's auntie sneezed? Gas shot up by my 12 - 20 cents yesterday. Stations that were $2.42 regular now $2.54, ones that were $2.49 now $2.65, the couple that were $2.50 now $2.70. :cry:
    ....pre-summer season pre-price spiking price hike. It happens earlier and earlier every year.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,672
    this is getting ridiculous, the way the spike happens earlier and earlier. The next thing you know, the 2007 model cars are going to be out!! Oh...wait... :surprise:
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    $2.49 on the north end of St.Francis St. (Amarillo) $2.43 in Dumas at the Walley World. :sick:

Rocky
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Ah... the smell of panic in the air as the never ending beat of gloom and doom causes traders to run the futures contracts up.

Let me know when ACTUAL supply or demand changes enough to warrant these fluctuations.

$2.59 for 87
    Maybe we can start a pool...highest gas prices we'll see this summer?

The most I paid for premium during the last gouge was about $3.30, in rural eastern WA. Think we'll beat it this year? At this rate, we'll be there in not too long.
    Even though prices did crack $3 here last year, the highest I paid was about $2.89. Timing in life is everything ;)
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...is now $2.44. Silver is $2.55, Super is $2.66, Ultra is $2.77. Eleven cents between grades? Weird! If this is where gas prices are at the end of March, I'm gonna drop weight faster this summer than Vito Spatafore!
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    $40.02 to fill the tank of my '05 Camry. That translates to 16.48 gallons at $2.42/gal. for 87 at Hess (central VA).

Then I filled the '04 Camry with 15.36 gallons for a total of $37.31. At least I went 499.6 miles since the last fillup -- 32.5 mpg.

I can't imagine filling up a large SUV's tank!
    ....about a week ago that we should start seeing some relief at the pumps due an abundance of reserves? Price here in the Chicagoland area just jumped from $2.56 to $2.75 this morning. I guess there doesn't even have to be a reason for the spikes anymore.
    ...we'd be buying futures contracts ;)

Oh wait.. that would drive up the price at the pump because we'd be putting upward pressure on the market. Now I'm torn. Do I want to make money in the market and whine about prices increasing for no reason, or do I want prices to settle based on actual supply and demand at the pumps???

Isn't it AMAZING how that news of the record surpluses (I heard that news too) seemed to have NO effect on prices because only bad news (or what's twisted into bad news) seems to affect things?

Seriously, I'm getting SO tired of the "this is the end of the world" reaction to everything. And not just around gas prices.... sigh
    Pretty cheap for MD, in Ellicott City on Traidephia road. It's a whopping $2.79 in Potomac.

Too bad it's an hour away from me. I do fill up every time I go out there, though.

-juice
    I guess what really burns me up is there doesn't even have to be a reason for prices to soar anymore. They at least used to try and pass off excuses as to why prices were skyrocketing, but now they just go up. It used to get all kinds of media coverage too whenever prices spiked, but I haven't seen anything on the news lately about these ridiculous prices. Has everyone just thrown their arms in the air and given in to the greedy barons?
    We all have, some less than others I guess (with more efficient vehicles).

-juice
    All the wailing and gnashing of teeth serves to do is keep the emotion high in the markets. Me, I try to keep a level head and look at things as rationally as possible. That's why I choose to NOT add to the frenzy that I see keeping prices up. Like you said, there doesn't even seem to be a reason for the latest rise, other than the fact that people seem to be expecting it.

I'm STILL spending more per month on milk - not groceries, just milk- than I am for gas for my car that I put about 8,000 miles per year on.

Am I happy that prices are up at the pump? No sir! But my take on WHY they're up seems to be a bit different than a lot of folks. I just cringe when I hear someone say that they're going to top off today before another price jump. Guaranteed way to put a bit of a spike in demand if you ask me.
    Excellent point. The more efficient the cars the less gas is sold. The higher the price to keep things in balance. I can tell you Canada and Alaska are loving this boom, with the high oil prices. Every one should buy a big GM PU or SUV. That will satisfy the oil gods and help out our ailing auto industry in the USA.
    We need a better energy policy.

For instance, diesel cost less to refine, yet federal taxes are higher, so the fuel ends up costing more. It should be cheaper. In Brazil, diesel costs HALF the price of gasoline, for instance.

And then there are all the loopholes for big/heavy trucks, like the Hummer H2. Those numbers don't count in the CAFE totals for GM, which is absurd. They're being purchased and used by consumers. In other places taxes go according to engine displacement.

The whole system is rigged the wrong way.

-juice
    You are so right. I have not heard anyone scream about the price of bottled water being sold for $4-$6 per gallon. Most of it comes right out of the same supply that feeds our homes. I have to wonder if the oil traders read web sites like this and say "Their ready for another price hike" Personally I put the blame on the Prius. If you look back prior to the arrival of the hybrids, there was not near the talk of high gas prices. Mostly grumbling about big gas guzzling SUVs. I think the hybrids are having the negative affect of making the oil companies think more about gas sales going down as cars get more FE. They want to get the prices up in anticipation of us all buying FE cars.
    The price of milk is of little worry to me. I can drink another beverage if the price gets too high. However, I drive 3000 miles a month and have little choice but to buy gas.
    like the Hummer H2. Those numbers don't count in the CAFE totals for GM

That is because they are insignificant in the scope of vehicles sold. First two months this Yr, H2 sold 2179 vehicles. The Civic sold nearly 50,000 in those two months. I can handle 2179 more Hummers on the roads than 50k more Civics. I would say on average each of those Civics will be driven way more than the H2s. If you drive your Civic 3 times as many miles as the average H2 that is the same amount of gas used. I would rather have a productive business man driving a Hummer than a teenager in a Civic.
    The price of milk is of little worry to me

The price of milk or gas is of less concern to me than water. If the powers that be can put a gun to your head and make you pay more for water per month than gas for you car, that is a problem. You see they force you to cap off your irrigation wells and go on public water. Then they raise the price to where you cannot afford to irrigate your trees. The trees die and less CO2 is absorbed. Then you have to sell your land to a developer that builds 400 condominiums where once you had a nice orchard of citrus trees. Each one of those people buy a stinking little Civic and pollute way more than the PU truck and tractor that used to reside on that land. Makes paying a few bucks more to drive 3000 miles per month unimportant. At least to me it does. We are all getting squeezed by regulations and government controls. I don't want to see anymore.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I would rather have a productive business man driving a Hummer than a teenager in a Civic.

I would rather have a productive business man driving a Civic.

james
    I would rather have a productive business man driving a Civic.

Hopefully that does not catch on with the business people of America. Our trade balance is already out of control. Maybe a Malibu or Impala that gets decent mileage. I just cannot wean myself from driving a PU truck. I wish they built them with small diesel engines that would get 30-40 MPG. Not likely with our outdated regulations.
  • leefarmleefarm Member Posts: 14
    it would be nice to have a van get 35 mpg.... seeing that our family puts 45,000 miles on our vehicles each year. and since we have a minivan a conversion van a chevy boxtruck and a gmc heavy duty truck we spend THOUSANDS of money on gas each year...
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    The Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter Van gets 27 mpg and is equiped with a diesel engine. It is a work truck used by Fedex/DHL/UPS and can be equipped as a passenger van.
    I'm guessing you don't drive 3000 miles a month?
    That is very true. My Forest River MB Cruiser has averaged 21.79 MPG since new. It is totally loaded with every creature comfort. I talked to one Sprinter owner that gets 27 MPG on the highway. They rarely go over 55 MPH which helps.
    Unleaded today is $3.25, diesel is $2.50 per gallon. They mix number one & two to prevent gelling. That is the only station in the village. Access is by ice road in the winter. By airplane the rest of the year. Shows how badly we are getting gouged in most of the US on diesel. No wonder the truckers block off the freeways. The ice road is in good shape today. It is good when it stays 30 below zero as it has the last 2 weeks. It is a 70 mile drive from Prudhoe Bay, that takes 2.5 hours.
    Now between the wife's car and my car we put about 2800-2900 miles per month on the road. So maybe this will be a better illustration. For the year 2005, which had some pretty high gas prices in it, Quicken tells me that Auto:Fuel was about 3.3% of my total spending. Slightly less than what I paid for electricity for the year. My mortgage payments totaled about 6 times what we paid for gas for the cars. Medical expenses were about the same as gas. Interest expenses alone were over double what I paid for gas (Yes, that includes mortgage interest) Insurance (life and car) cost me almost double what I paid at the pump. And back to the grocery store, total groceries cost me over 3 times what we paid for gas for both cars. Heck, the casual $20 from the ATM just because was more than double what we paid for gas.

The rising prices tick me off too, especially because of the way pricing seems to be determined in the futures market (not a big fan of panic)... but it's a close race with the "woe is us" sentiment that gets whipped up about everything anymore. :(
    Shoot, we use 6 gallons a week. The kids gotta have it when they wake up and before they go to sleep. Cereal with orange juice just plain stinks. :P

As for that H2, james nailed it.

And look at trucks in general, now the majority of the market, and getting all kinds of breaks that cars don't get. The laws were put in place to give breaks to work/fleet trucks, to keep the cost of doing business down, not for soccer moms to take their kids to the mall in these behemoths.

-juice
    Yea... at times I think we should get a cow. Get the milk right from the source and sell the lawnmower! :P
    No kidding, $3 x 6 gallons is $18, about what I spend on a tankful for my Miata. And the gasoline lasts longer! LOL

-juice
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Bott: I'm guessing you don't drive 3000 miles a month?

me: Most individuals don't even drive 1/2 that. Higher prices are going to get people to think whether they can reduce the amount they drive (Please we don't need to get into anyone's personal reasons). Just consider why you're driving so much, and others aren't. You can also save a lot on maintenance by driving less.
    I'm guessing you don't drive 3000 miles a month?

You're right there. My 2005 GMC PU is still under 2000 miles. I bought it the end of June. I did put 7700 miles on a new Passat TDI bought in April of last year. The Lexus did not go 1000 miles all year. I'm still waiting for high gas prices to alleviate the traffic. So far it has not worked.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    at least you didn't say GOAT! :)
    years ago, i used to commute 35 miles one way to work. after a while, i decided i didn't want to spend that much time in a car on a regular basis.
    regular gas still 2.59x x=9.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I'm half surprised we haven't seen any stations playing with that x= number to "undercut the competition" yet ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    my sister sent me a glass from Otto's. Otto is my middle name. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    $2.49 :sick:

Amarillo Tx. $2.53 :cry: Ouch !!!!!

I'm feeling it in my pocket book. :mad:

Rocky
  • 94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    I think that the oil companies are playing freakin' mind games with consumers (consumers who are being held at gunpoint, no less). I was in town (Chillicothe, bout 12 miles north of me) a few days ago, and it was $2.75 :mad: ! I needed to fill up, but was determined not to pay that. Speedway, BP, and Sunoco all were $2.75, yet Shell was only $2.53. Why?!! :confuse: Does Shell really suck that bad? I have always gotten better mpg with shell. Oh well. B.T.W. Just b/c your car's a Honda doesn't promise good mpg. I know i make a 11 mile round trip to my school every day and i live in the country, but i'm still only getting about 23 mpg. Not much i can do but whine, i guess.
  • yoribe2yoribe2 Member Posts: 65
    That's $2.89 for regular 87, Premium has already surpassed the $3.00 mark at $3.09! :mad:
    BP, and Sunoco all were $2.75, yet Shell was only $2.53. Why?!!

In San Diego it just the opposite. Shell is usually 20-35 cents higher than BP/ARCO. Shell is taxed higher in CA due to it's foreign origin.
    I would love not to have to drive that many miles every month, but because of my job, I have no choice unless I give up my family.
This discussion has been closed.