Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    We were one of the people with an early build 2005 Ody (VIN in the 17000) and we made it almost a year before we had the windshield noise. Took that in and it was fixed, but now we have an odd noise from the driver's side window. It is NOT wind or wind noise. It sounds like something between a loose glass pane and a crinkle noise. Anyone else have this or hear of it? It also only happens when the van is moving, of course. My first thought was it sounded a bit like when my old pull-out antenna on the driver's side of my 93 Corolla would be blown around by the wind, but of course there is no antenna there in the Ody.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Personally, I think I'll probably bring it by the dealer because it may be something major or minor- we just don't know until a dealer hooks it up and sees what the van is telling them.

I'll get around to resetting that Maintenance Required light sometime soon. Perhaps this weekend...
  • hound97hound97 Member Posts: 22
    I had this noise, which started after the fist time I drove my 2006 in heavy rain (apparently some type of lubrication was washed off). The dealer recently relubricated the door seals, but said that wasn't a permanent fix so they have ordered new drivers, passengers, and rear right passenger door seals. I'd equate the noise to the sound you get when rubbing your fingers on clean tupperware when you're washing it (strange comparison, I know).
  • hound97hound97 Member Posts: 22
    I get a grinding noise for a second or two when the engine catches during cold starts (only when the weather is very cold, as it often is in New England). Dealer doesn't know what to make of this and wants me to come back on a cold day. Anyone else have this occur? It doesn't sound healthy.

Otherwise, this car has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Spacious, comfortable, powerful, a great family vehicle for long trips.
  • agusagus Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem with the grinding noise when the weather is very cold. It seems that noise comes from underneath the floor. The noise is very short and happens just once in each start.
    Mine is 2006 EX, slate green as well. I have not notice such easy scratch problem. The only problem with the paint is the color. The bumper color looks greener than the body. Dealer said that this is because of material difference. Body is made of sheet metal while bumper is made of plastic. I don't think so. I have other cars that have unoticeacble difference between these two parts.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    You stated that you would not likely buy another Odyssey. Other than the transmission issue, (which I consider to be a BIG PROBLEM that HONDA DID NOT ADDRESS PROPERLY), what other issues do you have with this vehicle? I am planning to trade my 2003 Accord for possibly a 2006 or 2007 Odyssey. I need a van type vehicle. Other than an Odyssey, what van on the market today, has a better repair record. All my vehicles always carry a factory extended warranty, so as such, I am not concerned about the cost of repairs over a 100,000 mile period, but on the other hand, I do not want to be left on the side of the road with a Transmission or other mechanical / electrical issues. I like the looks of the Ford and Chrysler vans but they also have some engine & trans issues. So, what does a consumer purchase?????????????????????? :confuse: ---- Best regards. ------ Dwayne
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Understand! It is a personal choice. You would know if it is "major" if the SRS light reoccurs.

Being the "grease monkey" type I am, and mechanically interested in vehicles, I tend to get my hands dirty quickly.

Good Luck!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Depends on the noise and when it happens. If it happens once you start driving, it's the ABS system running a self-test. This will happen everytime you restart the car and hit 3-5mph (somewhere in there). This is pretty common on all cars, although some you don't hear it and others you do.

The other noise I've heard and is normal on the Ody is a thump/clunk right after starting. If the A/C or defrost is on when you start the car, the compressor will make a noise the first time it turns on. This is due to pressure build-up when the engine is shut-down, also common on other vehicles but seems a bit loud on the Ody.

Other than that, it's probably not normal and needs looked at.
  • kehuangkehuang Member Posts: 2
    My 06 Ody has grinding sound when I use the brake during cold weather. After 2-4 times of braking, the sound is gone. Called dealer, they say it is most likely normal, the brake is trying to squeeze out the moisture. Anybody else has this problem. If only me, then I have to make an appoinment to have them take a look at it.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I have a 2002 Ody that had the transmission just go out at 90K miles. A local Honda dealer replaced it for $1500.00 out of my pocket. The "new" tranny is now warranty covered for another 36K miles.

I don't understand the cost. I thought Honda gave that transmission a 100,000 mile warranty. I can understand the second being warrantied at 36,000.
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    Called dealer, they say it is most likely normal, the brake is trying to squeeze out the moisture. Anybody else has this problem. If only me, then I have to make an appoinment to have them take a look at it.

I don't but I look around on the internet alot. Seems that there is some issue with the brake material. As far as I can tell it dosen't seem that it stops any different but I think Honda is coming out with a new brake pad. I can't geive you a link but search for Odyssey Forums and then look for 2005+ discussions there is a large tread in there!!
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Can a new topic be started for "2005+ Honda Odyssey Problems" ?

None of the earlier generation Odyssey problems (including the transmission issue) seem to affect the 2005+ models. So it is very difficult to make much sense from various posts about all kinds of problems that impacted previous generation (pre-2004) Odysseys, none of which are applicable to the current generation.

Please start a new discussion topic for the new generation Odysseys. I searched but did not find an option that would allow me to start a new discussion. TIA
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Is the 2006 really a new generation/re-design? That would determine if such a split would be useful I think.
  • ethompson1ethompson1 Member Posts: 7
    they stated that the 100K transmission warranty extension only applies to the 2001 models, not the 2002.
  • ethompson1ethompson1 Member Posts: 7
    Per previous post, I have a 2002 Ody w 91K miles that required a new tranny. Dealer installed but had to charge me $1500.00.

Trying to get Honda Corporate to reimburse for the $1500 citing multiple articles refering to design defects of this model.

How has anyone been successful in getting Honda to reimburse a loyal customer for this?

Thank you.
  • wearedrivenwearedriven Member Posts: 6
    I suggest the Nissan or a Toyota Sienna. I have had a terrible clunking sound and vibration up the steering column since the car hit 30K. Two dealers told me it was due to the "heavy brake caliper" and since Honda will not send a new one for replacement...only a reman...the noise is often worse. This last trip included a new front motor mount and a replacement caliper. Sound is diminished, but not gone. OTher issues have been, wind noise, defective window actuater, and having gone through three complete sets of new tires in 50,000 miles. Our driving patterns have not changed in 30 years, our Nissans have been wonderful. The Chryslers (3) and the Hondas (2) :confuse: :mad: :( have been difficult.
    Sebring95,
    Your explanation makes sense to me.
    Thank you.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i hear some clunking sometimes when getting on the brakes in my '03, but this is clearly not a transmission related noise...

can you be more specific w.r.t. the vibration felt in the steering column? our odyssey has a very quiet engine and no engine induced vibration. if you needed a new front motor mount, i can imagine you had substantial vibration.

that said, three sets of tires in 50K? what tire do you have on your ODY? are you properly inflating and rotating the tires? does your vehicle need an alignment? the OEM tires on our LX lasted about 30K. we ran them slightly under-inflated, and my wife corners pretty hard (fast).

i believe, if your alignment is good, and if your tires are inflated properly and rotated every 7.5K, you shouldn't have gone through 3 sets in 50K, even if they were the OEMs.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Is the 2006 really a new generation/re-design? That would determine if such a split would be useful I think.

2005 model was the redesign/3rd generation.
    The 2005+ models are a new design/new generation. Currently accounting for 2 model years : 2005 and 2006.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/artman/publish/article_152.shtml

This is a ground up re-design, starting with the changing of the body structure and chassis to an "ACE" structure.

None of the problems commonly associated with the pre-2004 model years are present within the 2005/2006, specifically the infamous transmission issue.

The 2005/2006 has certain unique minor issues like wind noise from the windshield, noise from hard brake pads, characteristic boom when VCM (Variable cylinder management) is activated etc., none of which are applicable to the previous generation (pre-2004 model years).
    Among the other vehicles in the Honda line-up that are based on the Odyssey platform (Global light-truck platform), only the Honda Ridgeline is based on the newer generation Odyssey platform.

The 2005/2006 Honda Pilot and the Acura MDX are based on the previous generation Odyssey platform and hence do not have the ACE body structure etc. A redesign of the Pilot/MDX based on the new Odyssey platform is supposedly in the works.
    Okay, here's the topic for the newest generation of Honda Odyssey, 2005+ models:

Honda Odyssey: Problems and Solutions: 2005+ models

thank you for the suggestion!

MrShiftright
    Host
    Thanks a bunch ! That was very quick.
  • accord2003accord2003 Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed exactly the same problem on my brand new 2006 EX-L bought last Saturday! It's such a huge disappointment. I wish I had checked out this forum before making the purchase. When the noise comes it feels like the whole cabin is making a hollow, vibrating sound. It hurts my eardrums sometimes. My Accord is such a bliss compared to the Ody.
  • accord2003accord2003 Member Posts: 3
    MrShiftright, since this one seems to be a major complaint on 2005+ Ody's, could you move/copy it to the new 2005+ topic?
  • rob123rob123 Member Posts: 21
    My 2006EX with 3,000 miles has the same problem,I'm
    taking in monday.
    It's a real disappointment is right.
  • raduzraduz Member Posts: 5
    i had my 2002 ody transmission replaced at 63k miles last week. aparently the transmission does not have a 100k warranty, only the 99-01 have. the 2002-2004 they just fixed them with the oil jet kit recall. luckily i had purchased a honda care warranty to 100k. mine was also "fixed" with the oil kit at 43k miles. based on forums like this one honda has reimbursed partially or totally transmissions going out early. I think they should really extend the warranty on these trans to 10000k since they obviously have a problem, not really fixed by their recall.

new remanuf tranny seems ok, but who knows how long it is going to last
    software's being tempermental about moves lately, so I'd suggest the member with the 2006 re-post his comments about humming noises in the 2005+ Odyssey topic. Sorry I tried.

Shifty the Host
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I was reimburst partially, and my new tranny seems to be doing fine. (after a year and two months)
  • dontwishtosaydontwishtosay Member Posts: 1
    Why is it that when you go into a Honda show room the sale pitch is that this car won't need any major maintenance until 100K miles, yet my 2003, had a Transmission failure, the fuel injection had to be change out and the throttle had to be replaced....DON'T BUY Honda Odyssey..The Serviceman there at Honda, told me.........he isn't responsible for the lies that they tell in the sales dept., he's just here in service to fix them.......WOW.....
  • cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    Does anyone know if the Odyssey engine is interference-type? This type engine could be destroyed if its timing belt breaks. Did anyone have a broken timing belt for his or her (1999-2004) Odyssey? If did, how much does it cost for repair?
  • cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    Yes, it is an "interference" type engine on the 2005+ Honda Odyssey.

On the 1999-2004 Odyssey's, Honda's new owner manuals recommended that you change the timing belt at 90,000-mile intervals. However, it is highly suggested you consider changing the timing belt at 60,000 miles. Honda does use an "interference" engine design. If the timing belt does break or jump a notch while the engine is running, the results will "interfere" in a serious way with your long-term savings plan.

In an "interference" engine, it's possible for open valves to hit an upward-moving piston, resulting in a collision that could best be described as "apocalyptic."

Not sure of the 2005+ Odyssey's.
  • joseq2joseq2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Took it to the dealership and was told that some of that noise is from the ABS. I believe part of what they are telling me (they gave me some handouts) but not all. When you first start the car it will make a grunting noise when it gets to 6-7 miles per hour. But that doesnt explain the feeling and noise when driving. I get it when going 25-40 miles per hour. You?
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Thank you. That is interesting ... and a very funny analogy. :)
  • jj64jj64 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for info,I will take van back and give them info.. Thanks JJ....
    Since your Odyssey is the new generation (2005+ model year), please post in the appropriate 2005+ forum, which is as below:

/direct/view/.efe9635/13!make=Honda&model=Odyssey&ed_ma- keindex=.efe9635
  • mrbig1492mrbig1492 Member Posts: 1
    I have read statements in here such as "Most shops don't put in the right viscosity oil for Honda." On what is this assertion based and just for reference, what IS the correct weight of oil for a 2005 Honda Odyssey?

Thanks!
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    I live in PA and get some snow. I bought Michelin HydroEdge from Sears with lifetime balancing. The van rides smoothly. And if you hit a puddle, I noticed better handling. Just my opinion. I have never used snow tires however, so could not tell you if it's worth it. How much snow do you get? And do you plan to go out in a snow storm?
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I use three local shops for the basics. When I first got my '02, I did have some trouble getting 5w-20 routinely. None had it in their overhead bulk tanks, so would have go get it manually. In the beginning they would bring out quart bottles and fill it the old fashioned way. Later, one of the places got it in a 55 gal drum, and would hand pump into a gallon container, carry it over, and fill the crankcase.

Only one time did I actually have to force the issue and have the fresh oil (5w-30) dumped and refilled with 5w-20. Someone in the shop second-guessed my request, and filled from the overhead system. I saw it thru the window, and it was listed on the receipt. I had to bring in the owners manual to prove that Honda specifically recommended against the use of 30 weight. The shop owner was apologetic, but it was a vivid reminder that not everyone in the shop gets it yet.

Now does it really matter? Who knows, but at least for the sake of the warranty, follow the mfgrs recommendation.
    As lighter oils become more common, these types of problems should fade.

Steve
    Kevin,

I'm in the Hudson Valley of NY, and run snows (Dunlop Wintersports) in the winter. They were a great improvement over the OEM Symmetry tires, especially for climing out of our steep, snow covered driveway. But you might find the HydroEdge to be a good enough tire to feel comfortable year round.

Steve
    light weight oils are very important for engines with variable valve timing which operate in very cold climates.
    Makes sense, Joe, if they use oil passageway pressure to shift cam phase. Yet someone on this board previously stated that the same engine sold in Europe was ok with heavier oils..... Maybe they got something wrong.

Steve
    Well the "problems" with variable valve timing are related to the climate conditions...I just can't imagine the valve timing controller really enjoying the waiting time for the thick oil to get up there....then, too, sometimes a manufacturer has to learn things just like a consumer does---the hard way.
    Was it something I said????
  • yjasonchangyjasonchang Member Posts: 1
    I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with My 2002ODY EX in the past month (Jan 2006). I took it to the dealer for trouble shooting and they could not locate source of this problem. The problem does not happend all the time
    so it is really hard for the mechanics to duplicate the problem when they test drove the care (as a last resort
    of their trouble shooting sesseion).
    Any help from an expert is much appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • clarence10clarence10 Member Posts: 57
    I have a 99 Odyssey with Michelin tires I added abut 35k miles ago. I believe the tire was a Michelin something Plus(Cannot remember exactly). Is it possible that it is ready for a new set?

Is the Hydroedge the best you can get for all year round perfomance? I live on Long Island in NY and we get a variety of weather.

Costco has them for $107/ tire including installation after a rebate. Is that a good price?
  • jshondajshonda Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with DVD. At times while listening to the wireless OR Corded headsets on a DVD the sound goes out for seconds or minutes at a time. SO far Honda has replaced the DVD Player as well as the entire Radio/DVD/CD/XM Main console. Things seemed to be fine until the other day when the problem creeped up again.
    Any suggestions before taking it back to the dealer?
  • teamgreendaveteamgreendave Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have an 1995 Honda Odyssey that 5 months ago during a snow storm (roads were slick)I slid into a curb at about 5 to 10 mph and hit the passenger side front wheel and messed up the lower control arm according to the repair shop,(the wheel was pushed in on the bottom pretty good) ok so they replaced the arm with a recycled part and said it was ok. They also did an alignment on it, my wife is the primary driver and I did not drive the vehicle for about 2 weeks, when I drove it it still had a pull to the right and did not have any real vibration, (there is now a very violent vibration that has gotten worse month by month, the vibration coincides with every rotation of the wheel almost like a side to side rocking motion) and it has a visual slight push in on the bottom of the wheel still and I also noticed that the passenger side front end is lower than the driver side. I checked tire pressures, rotated wheels, lifted the front end and checked the ball joints and they appear ok, looked for anything obvious cannot see anything, so I thought that maybe the control arm they replaced was also bad so I replaced the control arm with a new one and it still has the vibration and pull, I noticed that the front swaybar where it connects to the lower arm does not line up real well, ok now why did the vibration go from nothing to really bad (wore out bushings or something on the other side?) could the frame gotten pushed where the arm attaches, why wouldn't it have shown when they aligned it, not sure where to start as far as replacement of more parts go, any advice would help.
    Thanks
  • glo22glo22 Member Posts: 7
    dealer says I need to replace the regulator but somehow I am not sure why squealing has anything to do with regulator. This probably will get lost in this thread. Where else I should post this.
This discussion has been closed.