Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• liftitupliftitup Member Posts: 4
    We have this exact problem in our 2003. I was given some suggestions in message 6309 and 6315. :blush: Haven't tried them yet. I don't want to take it to the dealer until we can duplicate for them to hear, we've explained it, I've even recorded it but they want to hear it in person. Our buzz used to take about an 1 hour to start but it happens more rapidly now.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    i know i'm a little late on this post but i have a trailer hitch on my 99 ody and they replaced it - no problem or questions asked. i used for a bike rack too.
    shocks or springs - i have this also on my 99
  • ggp9909ggp9909 Member Posts: 2
    I just followed the same advice and it worked like a charm. I had called the dealer on my 2002 van and they said I would have to bring it in. I'm sure you saved me a pretty penny as well.
  • blendengblendeng Member Posts: 12
    I have a 1999 Honda Odyssey LX from Canada that has 60k+ miles. Do I need to replace the timing belt and water pump?
  • kelskarkelskar Member Posts: 1
    2002 Odyssey EX auto transmission, sports package, apx 47,000 miles. I've not read of anyone else having this problem, so here goes...Occassionally, (only at first-of-day start-up) I cannot depress the brake pedal. It's as though a brick were under the pedal, I'm not a small gal, and I've stomped with all my weight, the brake pedal will not move until I shift into a different gear then back into the gear I want. Which gear does not seem to be a factor- I'd only had it happen when in reverse, but it has now happened to my husband in drive. It started about 6 months ago, happening two or three times in the next 4 months, now it's been about 6 or 7 times in the last two months. Any ideas?
    service manual says: "60,000mi/96000km/4years:
    replace timing belt and inspect the water pump if the vehicle is regularly driven in weather over 110 degrees F.

105,000mi/168,000km/7 years:
    replace timing belt and inspect the water pump only if the belt was not replaced at 60,000miles.

that is a direct quote from the service manual for the 99 odyssey minus references to page numbers.

you don't drive in 110 degree weather regularly, (i assume), but then it has been seven years. personally, its alot less expensive to replace a belt than a cylinder head.
  • lsg1lsg1 Member Posts: 42
    I have a problem with my 2001 Odyssey EX. The brake lamps(2 side - not top center) burn out with a very high frequency. I just brought it in Thursday to replace one, and on friday it burnt out again. I am tired of changing them. I do have a wheel chair in the cargo area that sometimes bangs on the rear door on acceleration. Could the vibration of the bang break them?(I doubt it).
    The guy that changed it told me if it burns out again to bring it in to Honda to check if there is an electrical short.
    Any one else have this problem?
    Thanks
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    emm = i think you found your culprit. mechanical stress. is there a way to secure the chair so it cannot move against the hatch on acceleration?

another possibility, see if autozone or other sells a bulb for more stressful service (like a dump truck for example).

filaments are pretty delicate things.

ok, another possibility is an alternator with poor voltage regulation. i presume other bulbs would burn out if the volts output from the alternator were truely excessive. then again, i'm not sure what other lamps you'd have on: maybe parking lights?

another possibility: going out on a limb.. do both bulbs on the sides burn out, or just one side? if just one side, i'd suspect the socket is faulty, and not making good contact with the bulb. happens. if they put one of these bad bulbs under test, is the filament actually broken so there's no continuity?

some ideas. regards.
  • cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    I replaced the timing belt of my 1999 Odyssey with 125,000 miles by MYSELF because a dealer asked for $600 for the job. I purchased a special tool (SP60100, $50) from ToolParadise.com to hold the crankshaft and borrowed a torque wrench from autozone. It took about 8 hours. There are several surprises. First, the timing belt after 125,000 miles is in the perfect condition, which is the same as the new one I bought from a dealer except for that the label on the old one is not as clear as that on the new belt. Second, it seems that the old timing belt was installed with one tooth off on the back timing cam gear. A lot of people will not believe this. I should have taken a picture before removing the belt. Now the timing marks are perfectly aligned for three points: front timing gear, back timing gear, and crankshaft. Third, the mpg of my Odyssey increased by 3 –4 mpg after the belt change. I had a 300 miles trip (@70 mph) a few weeks ago and the Odyssey used only 9.5 gallons while I was used to consume ~12 gallons for the same trip. I could not believe this. On the return trip, I filled up the gas tank again for every ~150 miles. Each fill up is 4.6 – 4.8 gallons. This means that the Odyssey is running ~32 mpg @70 mph. Could anyone explain this mpg increase other than the one-tooth off of the timing belt?
  • sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    When a timing belt is even one tooth off, the engine cannot achieve correct timing. I didn't have the courage you did to change my own timing belt. After I had a mechanic change the timing belt in my old van (a 4 cylinder '85 Voyager at that time), it lost some of the little power it had. I tuned it up, tried to set the timing (not computerized in those days)but couldn't set it accurately. I got used to the low power, until a Vermont ski trip when temp's reached 15 below zero. When I started the engine, the extreme cold caused the stiffened timing belt to slip another tooth. Now it had so little power, my wife and I looked at each other and laughed embarrassedly as everyone passed us on even the smallest incline. I brought it to a good Chrysler dealer in Troy, NY, who found that the timing belt was off TWO teeth. When this more competent mechanic correctly installed the belt, I had power and gas mileage that I forgot the van ever had. I realized that the first mechanic installed the belt off one tooth, and the extreme cold the second tooth. After the belt was installed correctly, the timing could be accurately adjusted on this van, up until I bought my Ody. -sbpceap
    oh gosh - is that another contributor to poor MPG results?

maybe people with very far off the curve fuel economy should ask someone check their timing...
  • etmjretmjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey with 84000 miles. Between 45 and 50 mph the engine runs rough. At all other speeds no problem. Any advice.
  • ftmacftmac Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with the mirror lens craked, were you able to fix the mirror?

Thanks
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    This week, I just had the Timing Belt changed at 154,000 kilometers as the dealer said not to take a chance, waiting till 168,000 kms. If it broke it would be $3,500 instead of $750. It actually cost me $795 including a new water pump. At the same time the dealer changed the Serpentine belt and the spark plugs.
    This is a 2002 EX Canadian.
    :)
  • sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    Based on CXC's post (#6431) you probably could have waited quite safely thru 168 Kilometers. But if it's any consolation, Honda charges $14-18 for each of those six spark plugs you had installed. That's $100 in parts alone, right there!
  • momtomasettimomtomasetti Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Canadian Odyssey and we were not informed that it was Canadian by the Honda dealership from which it was purchased. I am very angry after reading all of the information on this site, and I am concerned about my vehicle being a problem. I have already experienced the vehicle stalling for no reason when I have had my foot on the gas pedal, as well as noticing the engine having difficulty around 45-55 mph. What signs did you notice with your vehicle when it was giving you problems? :confuse:
    stumbling and uneven acceleration ... probably have a clogged EGR port. there is a TSB on it.
  • shoppershelleyshoppershelley Member Posts: 4
    definitely sounds like a bad egr valve. there was a recall on it. my 02 odyssey did the same thing between 45 and 55.
    How were you informed of the recall? Our dealership has not informed us of this and wants us to use our extended warranty to fix it. I think that we may not be covered under the recall because it is a Canadian model. When did the recall occur?
    i'm not positive it was a recall. there is a diff between a TSB and a recall, right? a service bulletin is a notification to the dealers, while a recall is a notification to both dealers and you. i'm sure there's more to it than that.

a quick google turned up this:
    http://home.comcast.net/~johnpitman/a05-026.pdf
    I AM PRETTY SURE I RECEIVED A RECALL NOTICE IN THE MAIL, BUT THE SERVICE ADVISOR WAS WELL AWARE OF IT AND DIDNT CHARGE ME. NOT SURE IF IT WAS ALL ODYSSEYS OR JUST CERTAIN VIN NUMBERS.
  • bobgo57bobgo57 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone ever come up with a fix for the problem of the Odyssey when it just stops running? My 99 Odyssey with 123,000 miles has started doing this. Sometimes it will start back up on it's own a second or two after it stops running. Other times you have to turn off the ignition and start it back up which it does immediately. This can happen at anytime and any speed. Radio station pre-sets and clock are not affeceted by this problem.
  • elpidoselpidos Member Posts: 5
    I have 2001 Honda Odyssey. Recently, After engine starts, when I move with acceleration, there are "tu-tu-tu-tu.." sound (sound is low, duration is 3-4 secs) from the car.I don't know what causes this sound. Anybody have a similar problem?.. Any advices will welcome!! I guess it might be from the brake systems or timing-belt.
  • mullismommullismom Member Posts: 2
    I'm doing my homework after the fact... Was at the dealership yesterday. Van was choking between 45-50mph and RPMs of 1500. They told me it was the EGR problem. Good news is that part was covered under an extended warranty, but cleaning the carbon build up that was created from the value not functioning was not. I paid $315 for a EGR port cleaning to "protect the new valve" they were putting in. Did anyone else have to pay for this?
    Print and read this:
    http://home.comcast.net/~johnpitman/a05-026.pdf

Specifically look at page 9.

It appears Honda suggests it is a repair free of charge.
  • retiredfitterretiredfitter Member Posts: 3
    Hey , I have the same problem with my 99 honda odysey,
    exactly the way u explained it. Did you solve your problem
    If so can you help me???
    my 99 honda stops running for no expainable reason, the
    dash goes dead ,no odometer reading dash completely off like when your in the accessory mode radio keeps playing . turn key towards the on position and every thing comes back to life the engine even restarts in the drive position, some times I have to restart engine withe the starter. It acts just like I turned the key to off or to the accessory position. I think it's in the keying mechanisim. can any one help me.
  • perma88perma88 Member Posts: 23
    Just had rebuilt transmission put on by dealer due to both TCS and Check Engine Light came on over the holiday weekend. Van has only 57000 miles when lights came on.

I was told by dealer and Honda USA that once the 7 yrs/100000 extended warranty is up, I am on my own with this rebuilt tranny!! If something goes wrong with this rebuilt tranny, i have to bear the cost for future repairs. My questions are is this true that there is no more warranty on this replacement tranny?? not even the minimum 12mths/12000 miles on replacement parts.....What are some of the members' opinions on rebuilt tranny if they have it replaced on their van?? How reliable is it?? Also any outside extended warranty plan that i could purchase for this rebuilt tranny??

Worst case, do i have any recourse or claim against Honda if rebuilt tranny go bad within a year?

thanks
    I JUST HAD A REBUILT TRANSMISSION PUT IN MY 02 ODYSSEY AND I HAD CLOSE TO 100K MILES ON MINE. I HAD TO PUT UP A FIGHT TO GET A NEW TRANSMISSION SINCE THEY SAID MINE WAS NOT PART OF THE RECALL. I WAS TOLD BY THE DEALER THAT THE WARRANTY ON THE REBUILT TRANSMISSION THEY INSTALLED WAS 3YR/36,OOO MILES. YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD DOUBLE CHECK ON YOURS. CALL HONDA HEADQUARTERS IF YOU DONT GET ANY SATISFACTION AT THE DEALERSHIP.
    :cry: I took our 2002 Canadian Odyssey to the dealership where we bought it in the US and had the RECALL work done on it that was originally recalled in April of 2004 and was SUPPOSED to be performed before we purchased it from the Honda dealership in December of 2004, per the recall and letter from American Honda requiring that ALL 2002 and 2003 Hondas be inspected by checking on the VIN for recall before selling and New or Used vehicles within inventory. A Honda dealership sold me a potentially defective vehicle that may have had a faulty transmission (I had no clue it was Canadian and I did not get an owner's manual) and I have been driving my children around in this potentially hazardous vehicle for 2 years. I have experienced bizarre occurrences of the excessive fluctuating at certain speeds, stalling at lights but not actually turning off, hard down and up-shifting. I've even gone to start the vehicle and had it only turn over but not start. When I realized that I had a recalled Canadian Honda that never had the recall work done I tried to get a resolution with the dealership first by having the recall transmission inspection only to have the first service technician tell me that second gear was burned out and I'd need a new transmission, then 1 hour later I was informed that it was fine and they'd give me the jet kit. At that point I felt extremely uneasy driving the vehicle and asked them to get into a safer vehicle and they basically told me that it was my problem and so I called American Honda Consumer Relations who informed me that if I couldn't get the dealership to help me then I should take them to small claims court. Apparently what the dealership did violated both state and federal laws so I've taken the matter to the WA State Attorney General's Office, who finds all of this very interesting. I plan to demand a refund for my vehicle and march right into the Toyota dealership to purchase a new Sienna. I'll take road noise over transmission problems and poor customer service any day. Honda just lost what could have been a lifetime customer (I am an ex Civic Del-Sol owner.) Check the documents to see what I mean. Especially #7 and #16

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/RepositoryFiles.cfm?module=RECALLS&If- sDocId=04V176
    No, I have not solved this problem yet. I'll be taking it in this week to see what they find.
    I will be bringing the van into the dealer this week. The light has gone out on the odometer digital-display; although the thing still works; it's just at night you can't see it. I was thinking that maybe they could fix the clock display aswell. I suppose at 155K km (96K miles) you could have that happen.
    "I will be bring my van into the dealer"

The dealer replaced the bulbs in both the odometer and the clock since that clock is reachable when you do the odometer. At the same time they changed the daylight running light module. The module was under warranty. Daylight running lights are mannatary in Canada and have been on new vehicles for about the last 20-30 years. If the module burns out it has to be replaced as the police could charge you for driving without them. The total bill was Can$138.
  • amistryamistry Member Posts: 4
    I recently discovered that the winshiled washer tube that sits under the hood of my odyssey is severed. I wonder how could that have happened. I had seen that tube coming out of the clamp before. It appears that it may have come off and brushed against the running belt wheel outside engine which caused the tube to tear.
    I had taken the van to the dealer to replace the SRS unit before this. Everything was fine before it. The dealer obviously said they got nothing to do with it. On top of it, they quoted me $134+tax to replace this. I believe the dealer is trying to get me to replace the entire hose assembly. I checked on hondaparts.com, the section of tube I need to be replaced only costs about $12.xx.

Has anyone seen this happening before? Is this tube easy to replace? Any information would be very helpful

Thank you.
  • gdaveygdavey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 odyssey with 100,000 miles on it that the check engine light has been on for a few days. Now the TCS light also is coming on at speeds between 30 and 50 MPH and the vehicle starts "bucking". It has done this two or three times. Has anyone else had a this problem?
  • perma88perma88 Member Posts: 23
    both lights indicated that you will need a rebuilt transmission.........Bring it to the dealer and check for trouble code (should be 0740). The 1999 to 2001 transmission has a 7yrs/100000 extended warranty. make sure dealer knows this as well. good luck
  • yennhi2yennhi2 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 01 ody with 30000 miles, every time I make a turn, in park or drive, it makes a rubber squeaky sound from the front suspension, I think it came from the struts.It has happened when it was new; on the first oil change, I told the dealer about it, but the manager said it is normal because it is new and after 5 years the sound still there. Anybody have the same problem? any advice? I got a basic warranty 3/36000,so it is out already.
    i'm not positive about this, and i don't want to contradict other information provided by another poster, but i believe a range of ODYs, covered under a TSB have had known issues with EGR valve and/or EGR port clogging. this *MAY* be at root cause of the bucking and not your transmission.

search this forum for a link to the EGR TSB.

regards.
    My 99 honda would stop running for know apperent reason
    dash would go blank like I turned off the key while driving. had no effect on the accesseries. It turned out to be the contacts in the ignition switch. part cost around 70.00$ The wiring goes down the column over to and plugs into back of the fuse box ,located on left wall on the drivers side. The old switch when taken appart was burnt and carboned up. deffinetly the problem.
  • pgroverpgrover Member Posts: 5
    My 2000 Odyssey (108k)repeated failed state inspection, at first because monitors were not ready (Honda said "computer's data has been wiped")and could not be set even after two weeks of "drive cycles." Finally borrowed dealer's scanner (only a red light showed) and drove around. It wasn't long before a green light came on. I drove back to dealer who tested the car, now with readiness codes, and promptly failed it. Question: dealer says "bad ecm" -- but maybe just a loose wire. Is this just to sucker me in? ECMs list at $750. Should they be trying something else?
    Any words of wisdom or commisseration would be welcome. Thanks.
    interestingly, if you consult Honda Corp and your warranty package (might be downloadable from the www.hondacars.com owner's link, you may find the ECM is covered by a 8YR/80K warranty.

if you've been bringing your vehicle to the dealership on a regular basis, they may goodwill repair the ECM, but like I said, you may be surprised to find the ECM (ECU) is covered.

ASK. (politely) ;)
  • cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    My 1999 Odyssey had check engine and TCS lights at about 100,000 miles. The reason is VTEC malfunction. I got ECU reset three times by unplugging battery after these lights were on (three times). After that, the check engine and TCS lights have not been on for 25,000 miles. I believe that VTEC no longer functions. I do not need VTEC anyway because VTEC is only useful when engine revives over 3000 - 3500 rpm.
    My problem with my 99 Odyssey has been solved. The mechanic replaced an ignition wire that is in the steering column and connects to where the key goes. It is a part that has prematurely worn out and a new design is now used.
    See reply #6465.
  • lsg1lsg1 Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2001 Odyssey EX with about 95,000 miles on it. When I shift from drive to reverse, there is a slight delay, and then you hear a clunk. The van drives pretty smoothly, but once in a while(like when taking off from a toll booth) it hesatates on acceleration.
    I'm thinking this is a transmission problem. My friend says the clunk is an axle.
    I have the extended 100,000 mile warrantee. I know if it is a transmission problem, it is covered, but if is an axle, is that covered? and does it sound like transmission? or axle? Thanks
  • pgroverpgrover Member Posts: 5
    When my 2000 Ody had about 90k I felt there were upshift misses. I was feeling paranoid about the extended warrantee going away, after having suffered thru a Plymouth Voyager's tranny problems. So every oil change (at the Honda dealership; they charged $20) I'd whine about the little tranny hesitations. After the third oil-change-with-tranny-whine -- near 99,500 miles -- the service rep rolled his eyes and said, Ok, let's do it. So they replaced what may have been a perfectly good transmission. But I did acquire anothber 12,000 mile/1yr warrantee with it. Regarding the clunk: I too have had a recent reverse clunk. A tranny shop I trust gave me the same front-axle diagnosis too. But in case it was the tranny I took it to Honda, where a tech seems to have fixed it by "tightening axel nut." Sounds fake, but no more clunk.
    In short, get the transmission replaced if you trust the dealer's shop to do it right.
    Best of luck.
  • wilson87wilson87 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Honda Odyssey EX. The Parking lights, tail lights, instrument panel lights, side marker lights, rear license plate lights stay on, even after turning the van off and keys removed. When you open the door, we hear a reminder chime as if the ignition switch is in Accessory (I) or Lock (0). Does anybody have any ideas?
    probably... your switch on the stalk to enable either the parking lights and/or the headlights is broken. ;)
  • mullismommullismom Member Posts: 2
    The dealership and the bulleting make a distinction based on model year. Since I have a 2002 Odyssey, only the part is covered. This stinks.
This discussion has been closed.