Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• canuck6canuck6 Member Posts: 24
    Sorry folks! Long ago I stated in this forum that Reese/Drawtite make a 2" reciever hitch for the Freestyle. Well, I was finally going to the hitch shop to get one installed , and the guy apologized and said he thought I said Freestar. He checked again, and no luck. Apparently, Reese - Drawtite - Hidden Hitch are all the same manufacturer now. He did find out from the supplier that the first run of hitches from Drawtite will be a Class II hitch (1 1/4 inch reciever) and they won't be out until June. No word when they will make the Class III hitch with 2" square reciever. Not that I am towing anything with it, but I do need the 2" reciever for my bike rack. Sorry folks - no luck. I have called my local Ford dealer, but I don't think that Ford is making them yet either. It's a bit frustrating that we'll have to wait. Has anybody out there had any luck finding one?

Hit 7000km today and still loving it! No issues to report, no problem with power, space, brakes, tranny, etc.
  • lumber2lumber2 Member Posts: 184
    How about getting the 1 1/4 receiver, cutting the square tube off and having a 2 inch job welded in? Any shop should be able to do that.
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Not that I am towing anything with it, but I do need the 2" reciever for my bike rack. Sorry folks - no luck. I have called my local Ford dealer, but I don't think that Ford is making them yet either. It's a bit frustrating that we'll have to wait. Has anybody out there had any luck finding one?

When you say 2" receiver are talking about the hitch ball or the size of the square tubing?

better yet.....here:

http://www.hitchsource.com/index.php?cPath=38_37_81&osCsid=a517a87072a0b84a6803930adef76ce- 2
  • frieberg44frieberg44 Member Posts: 33
    Lighten up. Read my previous post. We're on the same side. I already acknowledged that Hondas and Toyotas are Yankee vehicles. My point: Fords depreciate MUCH faster because the market does NOT place as much value on a used FORD as it does a used Honda or Toyota. DEPRECIATION IS A REAL COST OF OWNERSHIP ! If you don't believe me, use Edmund's own site to research depreciation of a Pilot or 4-Runner to that of an equivalent Explorer: NO CONTEST. The Ford (on a comparable basis) gets killed, hands down. And, if I compare the depreciation of my 2000 Ranger with a Taco of the same year, the Taco will be worth several THOUSANDS of dollars more. You can buy a 3 year old Ranger for 50% off..easily. NOT so with a Toyota.
    Just be honest !! Peace, bro.
  • frieberg44frieberg44 Member Posts: 33
    You can already buy aftermarket adapters that will do that. Reese makes one, but with a HUGE disclaimer on limiting loads !!
  • x_greenfire_xx_greenfire_x Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

I've been following the board for a few weeks, and we just purchased a Freestyle last night. Actually saw our first Freebie on the road driving to the dealership last night, haven't seen ANY prior to that!

This thread on carseats has been very helpful in narrowing down what we ended up buying.

At first we had a SE picked out with most of the available options, including 7-passenger seating. Then this carseat thread came up, and got me thinking that with 2 carseats, it would be impossible to get back to the rear bench if both carseats are on the middle row latch anchors.

Started looking for a similar SE with 6-passenger seats, ended up finding an SEL in same color with same options (plus moonroof and 50/50 which I wanted but not available on SE), and we decided we liked the 6-passenger more for the 2 carseats we have.

With Latch, it's easy to move a seat from the second row to the rear to open up a middle seat for a less nimble in-law or something, but my wife and I can both climb into the rear seat easily with the two carseats on the middle row captains chairs. Definitely the right choice for us, glad to have seen this discussion before we bought!

Also loving the SEL, it's a little sharper looking than the SE, and some of the extra little features like the radio controls on the steering wheel and message center make it seem more enjoyable to us. Typically we don't go in for a lot of options, and the base models suit us just fine, but this one is nice and we don't regret spending a little more for the SEL.

/Brian
    Depreciation is one cost to own.
    Edmunds TCO listings comparing Pilot/Freestyle/Sequoia/XC90 have been updated recently

Pilot TCO $42k
    Freestyle $43k
    Sequoia $48
    XC90 $48

If looking at depreciation only, Pilot beats Ford by $2k, XC90 by $6k, Sequoia by $3k.
  • willie19willie19 Member Posts: 139
    ANT14,
    Came across some Duratec30 info below.Could Ford not have used the DAMB version (Lincoln LS) on the Freebie to up the HP to 232 and 220 ft lb Torque ? What are the limiting factors, costs too high or too much for the CVT to handle? or because the D30 is being phased out after 2006.

Duratec 30

Ford's standard DOHC V6 is known as the Duratec 30 or Mazda AJ. It has 3.0 L (2967 cc) of displacement and produces between 200 and 240 horsepower (150 and 180 kW). The same engine is used by the Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mazda MPV, Mazda6, Mercury Mystique, and many other Ford vehicles. It is essentially a bored-out (to 88.9 mm) Duratec 25 and is built in Ford's Cleveland, OH #2 plant. A slightly modified version for the Ford Five Hundred entered production at the Cleveland, OH #1 plant in 2004.

It has an aluminum engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. The cylinders are lined with cast iron. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods and an assembled cast aluminum intake manifold.

There are two key versions of the Duratec 30:

* DAMB - The Lincoln LS and Jaguar AJ30 versions have direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) tappets. Output is 232 hp (173 kW) at 6750 RPM with 220 ft.lbf (298 Nm) of torque at 4500 RPM.
    * RFF - The Taurus/Sable/Escape version uses roller finger followers (RFF) instead and produces 201 hp (150 kW) at 5900 RPM with 207 ft.lbf (281 Nm) of torque at 4400 RPM.

Applications:

* 208 hp RFF
    o 1994-2005 Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable
    o 2001-2005 Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute
    o 2005 Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego and Ford Freestyle
    * 232 hp DAMB
    o 2000-2005 Lincoln LS
    * Jaguar AJ30 DAMB
    o Jaguar S-type
    frieberg44 and nitromax - Thanks for your reply. Yes I was talking about the 2" square tube reciever and I was aware of the adapter. Unfortunately, we'll still have to wait for Reese/Drawtite/Hidden Hitch to make the 1 1/4" adapter which will be this summer.
  • rachel_35rachel_35 Member Posts: 6
    Hey, Brian, I bought my Freestyle Limited yesterday, too. Are the latches that easy to install? Obviously, my '92 Ford Taurus was not latch compatible. My Britax Roundabout is not a latch; I bought it about two months before they were available. My Britax Marathon does have latch but I've never used it.

Anyway, I'm waiting to install the carseats because I'm going to have the dealership take out the second row console, and they ordered a plate to put on the floor. It should be in next week.

I haven't seen any Freestyles in the Chicago suburbs yet, either.
    Rachel
  • northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    No comments on the car seats (get to test the "moving college student" mode in a month, however), but I have seen three other Freestyles in St. Paul. They do look nice in motion. :shades:
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    "Came across some Duratec30 info below.Could Ford not have used the DAMB version (Lincoln LS) on the Freebie to up the HP to 232 and 220 ft lb Torque ? What are the limiting factors, costs too high or too "

The DAMB version would require premium gas, something most consumers in this price point wouldn't appreciate. Also, at lower RPM's, the DAMB isn't pumping out the down low torque, the regular Duratec30 does. Granted, it tops out with a few more lbs.of tq, but to reach them, it's around the 4K marque. Wish there was a graph that would show that.

Another possible alternative could have been the 4.0L OHC V6 found in the Explorere/Mustang V6. Although, it would require substantial investment in retrofitting it for FWD configuration, and refinement. No matter how much sound proofing you place on that engine, it wouldn't have sounded well in the 500/FS/Mont. Plus that engine is economical when working it under 2000 RPMs... anything over, and watch the fuel needle drop. So mating a CVT onto that engine wouldn't have made it very economical, plus it's too torque for the CVT to handle.
    Thanks for your clarification.So it looks like Ford engineers have optimized the D30 performance to suit the current Freebie drivetrain.Also the reason I asked is that I'm now inclined to wait for the '06 model Limited FWD since up till now the chances of ordering the '05 version is still unknown.

After testing a barebones SE FWD for a whole day I found it to be more than adequate for my wife's driving needs and fuel consumption was quite good.Don't think the alternative 4.0L OHC Cologne engine is well suited for the Freebie. I have that engine in my Explorer Sport Trac, good truck engine but kinda thirsty on gas as I'm getting about 21 mpg comb. city/hwy on the Imperial gallon.
    In reading on a couple of sights, I learned that the Front/Rear weight distribution on the Freebie is about 55/45, which may help explain its good handling.

Secondly, in revisiting the fordvehicles.com web site, I found somewhere on it, "Freestyle LTD, 18" wheels (FWD Only)". It does not say what sized wheels come with the AWD LTD.
    I do know there is a size shuffle on the wheels for 2006. I can't remember (I dont have the information with me or near me-still on a trip) but it has something to do with a trim level, and FWD gets now a standard size, over AWD.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Can you let me know more about the "plate" you are getting to cover the hole left by the center console?

We test drove a fully loaded green Limited today with black interior and it will probably be the car we end up getting. We too have been contemplating the best way to get to car seats in the car. We only have one child at present (still trying for the second) and so we would order the car with the console but would be interesting in taking it out to use as a gang-way to the third row, but we would need to cover the hole as the dealer said that there is no carpet under the console.

Incidentally, we have the Britax Roundabout and it was a piece of cake to put in and take out with the LATCH system. :)

(PS. love these new Emotorcons...)
  • donbarondonbaron Member Posts: 13
    You must work for Ford. Thanks for the education on the Duratec Technologies. My wife drives the 232 hp in her Lincoln LS (great engine) I drive a 93 SHO. I am considering the Freestyle or possibly a Hybrid Mariner or Escape. What is your opinion of the CVT tranny. Ironically with this transmission the 208 hp Freestyle out accelerates the more powerful Chrysler Pacifica. (Most of the car magazines I read report the opposite.) Are you aware of any plans to provide hybrid power in the Freestyle? If so when will we see it? If I could ever part with the SHO -- The Freestyle looks like a great choice. Thanks Don
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I asked about the Freestyle / Hybrid, and was told by a salesman that the Freestyle is set-up to take a hybrid fairly easily, but the real issue is the supply of batteries . . and, of course, the cost differential.
    Case of wrong identity. I'm just another board lizard and the REAL expert is ANT14. Hope he'll answer your questions.
  • socalfreebiesocalfreebie Member Posts: 2
    Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the freestyle. It did happen to us once-3 days after we got the car! (before the New Year) My husband put it in reverse and nothing happened. He turned it off and started the engine again and it engaged that time. We went on a long trip last weekend and we brought it in to get it checked before we left. All the dealer said was, yup, it shows on the machine/computer you had a problem, but that was it. Duh! Thanks, we already knew that! No explanation. We haven't had any problem with it since though. knock on wood!

On other matters: wish ford thought of putting in a gps in the car. I know they were giving it away recently but it would have been nice to have it had built in the dash. And am so envious of the built in window screens in the sienna! Ford, take notice! The little things do matter!
  • ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    ANT,

You asked what other engine from the Ford Famity would of been better?

Well, the Freestyle was derived from a Volvo chasis,why not the 2.5 D5 (5 cyl Di turbo) in the Volvo V70 from Europe? If people are happy getting 19-24 MPG in an AWD version of the Freebie, they should be estatic about getting 30mpg. I'm not saying this torque beast would go well with the CVT but I would pay an extra $1500 to have this engine with a 5 speed auto.

As for the extra noise, I think people would be willing to deal with it if they were saving this much money at the pump. Plus from what I hear it settles down after the first 10 minutes of driving.
  • lenwlenw Member Posts: 14
    Yesterday we took are Limted AWD on a 600 mile round trip to Houston. I reset the Mileage indicator just after we filled up. Round trip was 22.2mpg averging 70+ miles per hour.

Now I have more than 5000 miles and need an oil change. Ford recommends
    5w 20 Synthetic Blend. In my previous Explorers I was using Mobil 1 full synthitic 5W 30. My oil change place does not have any 5W 20.

Suggestions?????
    "Well, the Freestyle was derived from a Volvo chasis,why not the 2.5 D5 (5 cyl Di turbo) in the Volvo V70 from Europe? If people are happy getting 19-24 MPG in an AWD version of the Freebie, they should be estatic about getting 30mpg. I'm not saying this torque beast would go well with the CVT but I would pay an extra $1500 to have this engine with a 5 speed auto."

That would delute the Volvo brand since that's an engine that is specific to them. Also, american's wouldn't appreciate the unique 5 cylinder configuration. Already, the Chevy Colorado has received much negative critisizm over that. Remember, on a Volvo it's "Cute"... If Ford used it, the media would say the sky is falling and that Ford is going bankrupt.

Also, the D30 has lower long term operating costs, over the 2.5T, and doesn't require premium fuel either. Also, your able to use the 6 speed automatic which is a plus. The current automatic unit in the Volvo, I wouldn't put high in my list for reliability.

Out of the engines available throughout Ford, there really wasn't any option other than what is being used. Of course, in a feasable state of investment. Pretty much ANYTHING can happen, with the right $$$.
  • rachel_35rachel_35 Member Posts: 6
    The only thing I know about the plate is that the dealership had done it before for someone, and they are ordering it for us. Maybe ask your dealer to contact Ford and find out about it? If they are unhelpful, I can ask my dealer for specifics. Obviously, we'll keep the console for later years or resale.
    Hi all,

To try to answer a couple of questions from this carseat thread...

LATCH is VERY easy connect, and having had seatbelt connection seats and LATCH seats before, I'd go with the LATCH anytime. LATCH seats are much easier to get in and out if you move them around (2 clips, one belt), and they tighten down rock-solid with minimal effort. I feel like it's a much safer setup.

As for the "plate" for the center console, our Freebie doesn't have the console, but there is a small plate on ours, maybe 6"x4" slightly raised. It looks like we could've gotten the console if we really wanted it, even though it didn't come from the factory.

If yours is factory installed, and you have the option of removing but keeping the console and the dealer will install the plate for you, that sounds like the way to go. You have some flexibility as your needs change, and this is what the Freestyle is all about. As is, we didn't want the console, and I don't think we'll ever need it until we're ready to trade this vehicle in at the point that we shift over from hauling babies around to hauling around teenagers. :confuse:

Very happy with the Freestyle so far!
    /Brian
    I've seen comparisons of the Freestyle to both the Volvo XC70 and XC90. Not that it matters much, but what's the right comparison to make? Personally, it seems to me that the Freestyle is closer to the XC90. Comments :confuse: ?
    Oh, one last thing on carseats... We really beat up the backseat of our Escape with our last carseat, this time around with the Freestyle I'm putting in Prince Lionheart seat protectors... It's a semi rigid vinyl seat cover that should catch most of the spills and prevent the Freestyle seats from getting molded into the shape of the carseat. The packaging indicates that it's shaped to work with LATCH seats so that the anchor points aren't obstructed by the protector.

/Brian
    Motorcraft makes a 5W-20 synthetic blend, and you can buy it at any Wal-Mart.

I think Pennzoil and/or Quaker-State also have a 5W-20 out now, too.

Yep, just checked, and Pennzoil has a 5W-20 synthetic blend.

Ditto for Quaker-State.

Both are shown as synthetic blens for SUVs, trucks, and 4x4s
    Well, as I understand it, the basic design of the Freestyle came from the 70, which they then stretched in all 3 directions.
    I just got the Motorcraft 5W-20 synth blend from Auto Zone ( a chain). That might be another option. I paid $2.39 per quart, which sounded like the usual synth oil high, but their petrol-only oils were going for $2.19 per quart.

Earlier, I got a quart of Pennzoil 5W-20 oil just to have in the back of the Freebie, but I learned it was not synth blend. Perhaps they have the synth blend out now. :shades:
    We have an xc70.
    I've looked closely at the xc90 now as well. Ford did a smart thing stretching the chassis length for the Freestyle. Legroom in the 90 with three rows of seats is minimal by my severe standards (6ft 3 sitting behind myself).
    As for using the xc70/90 T5 engine, we've never seen 30mpg out of it. 22-23 tops in everyday use. xc90 users get a little less. Its had its share of Aisin Warner gearbox troubles. Funny how no journalist says the xc90 is slow with similar hp to the freestyle
  • flufflebugflufflebug Member Posts: 7
    Where does your dog ride in your Freestyle? We have a golden retriever and are considering a 7 passenger Freestyle. Does your dog ride in the back with the 3rd row folded down? In the space created by flipping the second row forward? On the 2nd row seat? Does a dog crate fit? I don't want the dog to be a flying projectile in an accident. A minivan would probably be a better ride for the pup but I really like the Freestyle. She really won't riding in the car much except for short trips but she does go along on an annual 600 mile roundtrip vacation.
    Your comments would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • jim_white248jim_white248 Member Posts: 1
    lenw,

I have a Ford 4.6L V-8 and use Mobil1 0W 20 in it. This weight is designed for Ford's requiring 5W 20 oil.
    I saw on the Mobil1 web site that they offer a 5w 20 for 2001 & up Ford cars.
  • preferbicyclespreferbicycles Member Posts: 33
    We got the split 3rd row seat, and we fold half down and put the dog crate there. I don't know if our crate would hold a golden though (our Keeshond only weighs about 40lbs, though she has more room than necessary in the crate.). We also have a "dog seat belt" which we don't usually use, but she prefers that and the second row. She thinks that the closer to the rest of the family, the better.
  • jethrojacksonjethrojackson Member Posts: 33
    We were at our local Ford dealer today and were told that the 2006 Freestyle will start production on Monday July 18th at 9:00 a.m. I believe the order window will open in a few weeks. No info on pricing, changes, etc.

We plan on ordering a Limited AWD.

:)
  • kbrown2kbrown2 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a new Freestyle and the same thing happened to me! I have had it 3 days and the dealer has had it for 8 days. Apparently the problem is electrical and not a transmission issue. They said that there is a solenoid issue (that does something with the transmission) and that this is the third Freestyle that they have had with this problem. They have had some problems getting the parts but I am suppose to get the car back today. I sure hope that this is the FIX!
  • kbrown2kbrown2 Member Posts: 7
    Had the same thing happen to mine. It has been in the shop now for 8 days. Dealership says it is a solenoid problem dealing with the transmission. Hopefully this is the fix and I will get thew car back today. I have only had it 3 days since we bought it.
    Order books open soon, minor changes only, eg more paint color choices
  • saramsaram Member Posts: 34
    We have had our FreeStyle four weeks now. Still haven't seen another one on the roads. Seen plenty of them at the car lots! I was at the gas station Friday and a man came up and asked me about it. He really liked the looks and wanted something a little roomier than his Ford Focus. We really like our FreeStyle. I got a Husky Cargo Liner for the rear. I have a second seat liner on order but they still don't have the front seat liners yet. Can't wait for them. They sure do save the carpet. I ordered the cargo next from our dealer as the SEL doesn't come with one. We also ordered the vent visors and bug guard. They should come in soon! We have 1446 miles already and averaging 21.2 MPG. Only two short highway trips, mostly in town driving. :)
  • sallygsallyg Member Posts: 2
    yes, we've had the same problem and it seems to be wide spread. We are trying aftermarket brakes which are softer. They are putting them on today. I hope that at least cuts down on some of the noise! It's quite tiresome when you pay that much for a car that sounds like a jalopy when it comes to a stop!! Did your new brakes help? Thanks,
    Sally
  • crscrs Member Posts: 17
    Motorcraft 5w-20 is no longer available at Walmart. They stopped carrying Motorcraft products. I had been purchasing it there for a couple of years now because it was so cheap. I am now buying it at Autozone for considerable more money.

I did the oil change last weekend and found it to be almost the easiest car that I have ever changed the oil on. The remotely located oil filter makes it very easy. The car only had 1500 miles on it but the oil was pretty dirty already. I always like to do the first oil change on my new cars earlier than recommend because of the wear during break-in.
    I don't know about Ford, but some companies have an additive in the oil to help during the break-in period. Removing that early could cause premature wear.

My car calls for 5w-20 and I have just switched to 0w-20 Mobil 1 (the bottle of 0w-20 says that it is designed for cars that normally use 5w-20)

Mobil 1 sight has a nice oil determination tool for those interested.
    I have read that Ford has already ran some 06 models through the Chicago plant. They must have been pre-production units. The only differences noted were optional rear heated and cooled seats and an available navigation system.
    I don't know if Ford puts a break-in additive in it or not. But I wait to change it until the oil is visibly dirty so some break-in has occurred. I know you should never put an oil additive in brand new engine because it would prevent it from break-in in properly.

Why are you using 0W-20. I'm pretty sure using the wrong weight oil would void the warranty if you ever had problems.
    I looked through my Freestyle shop manuals and found nothing about a special break in period or restrictions on the oil change interval for the first time. 3 months or 3,000 miles or 200 engine hours for my usage.

The Ford spec on the oil is the key. Some of the 5W-20 synth-blend brands I looked at (not Motorcraft) say they are good for 2001 and up Fords, but they give an older oil spec number than the Freebie calls for. I went with Motorcraft with the matching spec.

I can't comment on the full synthetics, like Mobil 1. :shades:
    Why are you using 0W-20. I'm pretty sure using the wrong weight oil would void the warranty if you ever had problems.

I'm using the recommended weight synthetic that would be equal to a 5w-20 dino oil.

Synthetic oil does not require the same weight as dino oil. It can be run at a lower weight due to it's better lubricating properties.
    I read somewhere the latest motor oil designation is GF-4 by ILSAC (Int'l Lubricant Standardization and Approval Commitee) approved Dec.2004. I have been using full synthetics of some 5W-30 national brands, eg Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, but they have an API rating SL and ILSAC GF-3 which is ok for my 2001 Explorer Sport Trac.
    The new API SM rating is due anytime and I notice in some auto stores sell some with SL and GF-4 ratings and somewhere in the label it says exceed SM,SL,SJ,etc. So why not state it as SM unless this is delayed to allow some of the smaller outfits time to formulate the new additive package with lower phosphorous and sulfur content to meet the newer lower emission standard.
    I just had my Oil Change (5100 miles) yesterday for the first time. My Oil Change place said people were concerned with the 0W-20 labeling so now Mobil 1 has the 5W-20 recommended by Ford. I always use the Full Synthetic because of the RPMs these smaller motors turn.

BTW (by the way) did you know the Frebbie takes 6 quarts? I though they made a mistake. But I did a quick check of the owners manual and sure enough it takes 6 quarts!
    The 6 quarts the Freebie takes may affect your ability to get oil change sale prices. (The fine print on many ads says 5 quarts of oil + filter). Then again, an extra few bucks for that last quart is still cheaper than a new engine.

Now if anyone can tell me what oil filter number to buy, I would be happy. I couldn't find it in the manual, but I do now know where the engine block heater electrical plug hides (lower front grill, driver's side, under a hinged cap). :shades: