Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
"CrossTrainer is a member of a new breed of vehicles called crossovers because they combine traits of sedans, vans and sport-utility vehicles into one machine. The results is much like a station wagon that resembles an SUV."

This link will die in a few weeks but more will follow.

CrossTrainer... hmmm. I may wait for the Chevy Swoosh.

Steve
Host
SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Comments

• nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Ford did a great job on the exterior and it looks really cool. Though it would have been better if they got this model ready sooner than '04. Only thing I don't like all that much is the low glass height of the surrounding glass.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    This reminds me of a one of a kind done by car and driver about 5 years ago, or even longer. They took a Taurus wagon, put the SHO V8, 5 speed and all wheel drive in it and did a test. I wrote Ford and told them to add my name to any list for this vehicle if they ever built it. Guess they finally figured out it was a good idea, less the V8. We should just be happy that Jack Nasser is not involved in it with how he screwed up Ford.
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    to Jac Nasser, just a little bit. If Ford is gonna sell this vehicle in '03 or '04, the initial design would have started in '99~'00, right in the middle of Jac's reins. Now, let's just hope he hasn't already screwed this up.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    There was a thread for the Crosstrainer started in the station wagon section. Since Ford is going to build this vehicle can we get them linked?
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    More info about the CrossTrainer:

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=1833

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There was a flurry of interoffice emails about linking the Wagons & SUVs Cross Trainer discussions after your post and then it dropped off the radar. Still a good idea, or maybe just send all the discussion over to Wagons?

Steve
    Host
    I'm married and know what it's like to go unheard. Just kidding, my wife is an incredible woman and I'm not that thin skinned.

If we send everyone over to wagons, somebody will get missed. As the vehicle gets closer to production and more people get interested the thread is bound to be started up again in the SUV section. If it is at all possible it would be nice to have the two threads linked, IMO.

Now let's see if I get treated like a 'shroom again.:)
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    Well, Spring Break and all - don't hold your breath:-)

Steve
    Host
    Well, we're linked to Wagons. Now there are two CrossTrainer discussions to really confuse everyone. Oh Revka!

Steve
    Host
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and it's now taken care of. ;-)

So what's up with the Ford CrossTrainer? Anyone have any more news...?

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    Revka- Considering this is going to be Fords next big move, with the Crosstrainer and 500, there certainly hasn't been a great deal of buzz. The most information I found was from the Australian Auto Show website. Granted it isn't due for over a year but I would suspect there will be new information coming out soon.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Well seeing as there have been no actual photos of cars, that's probably why people aren't posting.

Despite Ford's obvious quality control problems, they know how to make a good product. They'll be one of the first brands with this style of high sedan (500) and the Cross-trainer seems to be poised to be similar to the Pacifica. Even though the Crosstrainer will more than likely be duller than the Pacifica in the looks department, I bet it sells twice as many.

They are making a Focus-based big wagon, sort of like a minivan. I wonder if this is coming over here, also...
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    In today's (5/17/01)Chicago Sun-Times, there is a sneek preview of the X Trainers front end. It looks like an Explorer with a less massive front bumper and sits lower than the truck based SUV's.

The pic isn't in their website, unfortunately.
    Have you got a scanner? Do you know somebody that does? Can somebody else help out on this? I thought it would be the vehicle that was shown at the Australian Auto show.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    get cross posted to this board (and SUV board for that matter)?

Are you folks in capable of telling the difference? Like that idiot that cannot tell that the Toyota Corolla Matrix wagon is a station wagon?

Please... avoid the "everything's an SUV or crossover vehicle" marketing hype. It's a station wagon, plain and simple. Even if it has AWD. The subaru wagon and AMC wagons had 4wd and no one had trouble telling the difference. Their only called "Sport Utility" in hopes of selling a few more cars to SUV types.

(Not that there's anything wrong with SW's. I love em. Just don't tell me its a van and an SUV also.)
    First, if these board offend you, stay off of them.

Second, there is no need to call someone an idiot. That person could very easily make you look like a fool in another subject.

Third, what defines a SUV isn't as clear as it was even 5 years ago. I could probably list 5 vehicles that you would classify as an SUV but are built like cars or station wagons. Sometimes even sharing components and platforms.

Your input is nice, but the personal comments are unwarranted.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Incapable is one word.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...hands! (Two words ;-)

I think we can all agree that mrnimmo was just having a bad day and we'd all like to get back to discussing real issues.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I see that Ford is putting together a supplier park next to their plant in the Chicago area for this vehicle. Not without some controversy though.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4922

Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    Please check your yahoo email. Also, feel free send me an email me if you have any questions/comments. And now back to the subject of the Ford CrossTrainer. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
  • jasonrupjasonrup Member Posts: 13
    Hey look, it's a Chrysler Pacifica that's been in an accident... oh, sorry, it's a Ford Crosstrainer. Ugly vehicle that is a poor attempt at copying another Chrysler innovation just as the Aerostar was of the original Caravan/Voyager. Ugly design and poor Ford quality (probably will be affected by numerous recalls I'll bet), sure, they'll sell a bunch all right.
    I agree with your comments about the build quality and the sales numbers. However, I have to say that the Crosstrainer and the Pacifica take different styling approaches to answer the same question. The X-trainer looks like a truck with the bulging panels and squared corners. The Pacifica looks more like a touring wagon/minivanesque with its more luxurious seating and "flowing" lines.

Different strokes for different folks. :)
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    much better than the two tone version that is coming out. Hopefully they will have a monotone color scheme available for the Pacifica. They made it look like a shorter Town and Country compared to the first prototype. Of course we haven't seen anything but drawings of the CrossTrainer yet and they can always vary wildly from the final product.
    I agree with your view on the production two tone Pacifica. I'm hoping that the two tone will be the lower trim level and the monochrome will be the upper trim level. Either way I've seen several Saturns and MB ML320's that have had their bumpers painted to match the body.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    A little more CrossTrainer news: Crossing over, with Ford Motor Co. (This is not a permanent link.) Did anyone here know it could carry up to 7 passengers? Sounds kinda interesting. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Thanks revka.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Wow! Ford sells a CVT transmission!!! The technology has existed for over 6 years and Ford thinks its new stuff!! The CrossTrainer looks plain ugly to me. The image I see once I look at the Ford badge is: "I'm unreliable. I'm in the shop for repairs and recalls all the time.." I prefer the Pacifica, 240+ Horsepower, luxury car styling and a wonderful silver on silver paint schme. Edmunds.com better buy one for the long term test fleet in 2003.
    I too like the Pacifica. And as far as reliability issues with transmissions Dodge would be the last vehicle I'd want for a reliable tranny.
    I second your comment about problems with Dodge transmission problems. I've got a Durango for a company vehicle and the front ball joints and rear differential are being replaced even as we speak(type). It's a 2000 with only 63k on the odo. I've had the truck 18 months and it's been in the shop for 3 of them. Sorry, just frustrated, back to the topic.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    there is apparently a conspiracy that only one car at a time can have the CVT.

or maybe it's just engineering issues and droopy response, as I have read several places at different times.
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5369

Not what I was expecting. I was expecting the Australian version.

Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    That's the official renaming of the former "Crosstrainer" name for 2004. The article is here: http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirc8_20021008.htm

So maybe this forum should rename too? :)

To nextmoon- Thanks! We appreciate the news/link. "Freestyle" has just been added to the discussion title. We're going to leave CrossTrainer on the title for a little while, at least until other members are aware of the name change. Talk later.

;-)

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    I was hoping they'd change the name to Hightop or even Chucks. Cannot imagine why they abandoned the shoe theme. Perhaps, given the reliability of recent products like Focus and Escape, they don't want potential buyers to be thinking about how much time they will be on foot.
    Here's a little news from Edmunds' Headlines section: Ford Goes Freestyle With New Crossover SUV.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

Not bad, IMHO. Looks like an Outback and an Explorer mated. The Explorer front end will ensure that no one dares to call it a "wagon".
  • danthony75danthony75 Member Posts: 7
    You seem to have an excellent inside knowledge of Ford, as a Ford salesman I'm involved in a national walkaround competition on the Freestar. I'm looking for little, unadvertised features, like the collapsible (self healing) cup-holders, or the lighted steering wheel controls. Feel free to respond here if you need to, but I wouldn't mind e-mail correspondence either.
    THANK YOU
    Dan
    josanneblonanthony@yahoo.com
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    in quality/reliablity. I feel Nassar was Fords downfall. He cut too many engineers/QA positions and it hurt Ford. Ford will make a comeback. The 500 will be right on par with the likes of the Accord and Camary, and now the Altima. This Freestyle vehicle may hit a niche market and may or maynot take off.
    The Focus, even with its initial recalls, along with the Escape still are selling quite well. Ford needs to make the 130HP 2.0 standard in the Focus however.
    The Escapes quality/reliabilty did better in CR..
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Saw one today heading N on I-75 in Detroit.

It had all sorts of mysterious black cover all over. Had this strange number too. I didn't have my camera though... He was speeding down I-75 at about 100 MPH, I guess so no one would take pics. He also had another engineer in a Navigator following him.
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    looks like a minivan...

source = http://www.thecarconnection.com

• ensoccer589ensoccer589 Member Posts: 26
    Ford's new crosstrainer, in my opinion, looks like a Ford Explorer with a lower suspension. It has been said that it seats seven passangers but judging by the pictures ive seen only kids could probably fit back there and even with the third row up there would probably be no cargo room. Also the crosstrainer breaks absolutely no new ground. It offers all-wheel drive but probably on the expensive models(just like the Explorer does). If you wanty something rugged that drives like a car, look no further than a Subaru Out back Wagon. And all-wheel drive comes on all of its models.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Maybe some of us don't need a minivan but would like a small 3rd row seat for occasions when we have friends over and when we don't want to drive two cars. Maybe we are too big for an Outback and too small for an Expedition or Sequioa. Maybe we can't stand the gas guzzling SUVs and maybe we don't like SUVs all together.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might enjoy the I don't like SUVs, why do you? discussion!

tidester, host

• luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Here are some new pics of the Freestyle FX from the Jan 2003 NA Intl Auto Show:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/83142/page016.html

This car is looks amazing, especially in the dark grey. I want to see this in production. I currently have a 2000 Subaru Outback which I plan to trade in for a new vehicle (probably another wagon) in late 2003 early 2004. If this car is in dealerships, I will certainly give it serious consideration vs another Sub wagon. Only concern is Ford quality, and key will be crash test ratings.

• nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    around a while. But until recently, they could only handle small engines without much torque. It's only been in the last couple years that they've become practical for larger engines.
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    Darn, that wagon is gorgeous. I really hope Ford doesn't go stupid with the price.
  • rogertc1rogertc1 Member Posts: 66
    I'd rather have a Union made Ford than a Subaru.
    Wheel bearings seem to be a Subaru issue.
    Guess I'll have to wait until i go to the Chicago Auto show on the 15th of Feb to see it!!
  • lwdupontlwdupont Member Posts: 3
    I wish car companies would just build these great prototypes.. I remember when the Ford Escape was announced, it had a super front end, and a great look about it (at the detroit auto show a few years ago)

The actual vehicle was introduced with the current front end, making it look a lot more "frumpy" than what they showed initially.

I hope Ford produced the Freestyle as is, as close as possible to the look and feel of the FX.