Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Yes, exactly $14000. The car was in great shape and the salesman also said so. Kelley, NADA and Edmunds all give that number as the mid range for trade-in value. I didn't owe that much so... Rebates were, $2000 cust cash, $500 auto show cash and $1500 dealer cash. I got some money back on the extended warranty too. I still got a great deal on an excellent car.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    More info please. What was the mileage, and how long had you owned it? I'm assuming that your SE trade-in was the base car model with no major options, like leather seats or rear-seat a/c. Manual air controls as well.

Mini Cooper have ditched their CVT for '07 BTW. They went to a 6-spd. automatic instead.
    Sure, 17680 mi, built 2/05, purchased 3/7/05, owned 2 years and 10 days. SE with cloth seats, convienence group and traction control, 2nd row bench seat, single disk CD, dual zone heater.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Dealers will be very cooperative in getting Freestyles off their lot. Sales are down 50% and others considering the vehicles will wait until the Taurus X is available.
    I considered waiting and buying an 08 X when the 09's come out. My thoughts are that the base X will be closer to 30K than 23K. If so, that's a lot of $$ for a name and grill change. Your right though, if anyone you know is considering a Freestyle, now's the time to buy.
  • greytautumngreytautumn Member Posts: 38
    That's my fear that the Taurus X becomes a $30k opening bid and that the Eddie Bauer is 45K. My hope is that with going back to 3 trim levels (SEL, Limited, Eddie Bauer) that Ford just pushes the top end up as opposed to pushing the bottom up. Then I'll HAVE to buy a used one.

As it is, the FS is a bargain even without too much discounting. The space and fuel economy make it quite a vehicle. I've never seen an ad for one either. It appears to be a bit of a red headed stepchild that Ford has issues supporting.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Taurus X is prolly going up market to make room for the "Fairlane" when that comes along.

Incidently, the factory is not taking any more orders
    for Freestyle. Only whats on lots and in the pipeline is available.

My lot only has 1 left.

Mark
    Ahem... now say "Flex".. not Fairlane.

I think I liked Fairlane better.
    Ok its official Ford has the stupid people in the world naming their models. What the heck are they thinking? Windstar would have been a better choice.

No doubt they highest trim will be called limited...

Mark
    Ok its official Ford has the stupid people in the world naming their models. What the heck are they thinking? Windstar would have been a better choice.

Or Fusion X or Edge EL

Edge Xtra?

No doubt they highest trim will be called limited...

Mark
    Flex isn't so bad. Besides.. nothing they could ever do could top the Freestar/Freestyle nomenclature debacle.
    There will be significant changes on the Taurus X: new engine, transmission, interior decor, suspension improvements, noise reduction, etc, etc.
    I'm aware of the changes. I guess my point was what's the base or modestly equipped price going to be. If they are going to build and sell a vehicle that must be priced in the 30's to cover costs, Ford is loosing a major segment of the buying public. Will the Edge model choices go the way of the Freestyle with only the SEL and SEL Plus offered, and cost in the high 20's to mid 30's. Affordability is what made the Freestyle so attractive to so many people in 2005. Not everyone has $30,000.00 to invest on something that looses value so quickly. Style, function and affordability is what's needed. Are the Taurus X and Explorer eventually going to morph into some type of crossover/SUV creation, in the Lincoln price range? Ford's should be affordable. They're competing with themselves and all the name plates their trying to support.
    Stick to the FWD model and forget all the extra high-priced crap and one can have a very reasonably priced vehicle.
    GMC is eliminating the Envoy for the Acadia in '08- their crossover, which surprises me as there is probably a place for both.

The Acadia is a more capable towing platform than the FS due to the transmission. I have driven a Saturn Outlook, and it's a nice vehicle, but for 32k it had better be. I suspect that is where the X will price out now in SEL trim.
    "I have driven a Saturn Outlook, and it's a nice vehicle, but for 32k it had better be. I suspect that is where the X will price out now in SEL trim."

Huh? The Freestyle SEL currently lists for $26,670 before rebate. Just what is going to change that would drive the X's price more than 5k higher? As far as I know, it will still have just one engine (albeit a better one), and just one transmission. Is the three-bar grill gonna drive the price up $5,000?

Look for the '08 X to be priced similar to an '07 Freestyle. The current generous rebate will be history though.
    Envoy is going because its based on a pretty old truck style body on frame platform and GM doesn't want to invest in a redesign.

Mark.
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    Ok its official Ford has the stupid people in the world naming their models.

Indeed. Is the new name a hint as to its torsional rigidity? I don't think if you paid someone to come up with a dumber name anyone could. I think they would have been much better off with the venerable "Fairlane".
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Some idiot put a baseball bat through my 2006 SEL rear window on Easter morning. I just got the bill - $1350 to replace. The part alone is over $900 at the dealer.
    Ouch! Does your Insurance Company's comprehensive coverage help here any?
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I was at an auto collision repair place the other day to get an estimate on some parking lot dings to the doors of my Freestyle and the owner mentioned that parts for the Freestyle are very expensive, eg, a front bumper costs over $500 for the part alone.
  • hoosierfordguyhoosierfordguy Member Posts: 6
    So the AWD system in the Taurus X is not Haldex?

Is the new one gonna be better or worse?
    I'm seriously considering the FS either an '06 or '07.
    I've driven an '06 AWD w/CVT and didn't really think it was underpowered and liked the MPG. The CVT was a little different, but not necessarily in a bad way.

I wonder if I should hold out for the X
    I'm worried the price will go up too much on the X as well as the MPG. If the AWD system on the X is not as good, the FS seems like a no-brainer! I really don't care either way about the new grille and interior. Same thing with the new gadgets like SYNC and voice activated Nav.

Thanks
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    I'd grab a great deal on a '06/'07 if the "upgrades" on the '08 make no difference to you. You might as well keep more of your money in your pocket... Our '05 limited has been great
    IT is Haldex, only is the next generation from the one used in the Freestyle.

Mark
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    What are the improvements over the current generation?
    Thx,

A.
    From
    car and driver

Prices will likely start at just under $30K, which puts it in the same territory as the GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook twins as one of the few relatively affordable, full-size, seven-passenger crossovers on the market.

Plus the Flex now? (is that the FS/X replacement for 2009?)

I hope they keep pricing similar on the X vs the 2007's vs the Acadia/Outlook. GM has overpriced their cars IMHO. You cannot get one under 30k.
    "Ouch! Does your Insurance Company's comprehensive coverage help here any?"

Yes, though I have a deductible, and the company only allows $40 per hour for labor; the dealer charges $90.

The actual cost of parts was $980.
    you need better insurance
    Do you have an auto glass rider? It's inexpensive here in Mass. One thing that's inexpensive...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of dealers out source that kind of work so you may want to get a quote from a glass place and maybe avoid some of the mark-up.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    So when do these message boards change from Freestyle to Taurus X? Are there now going to be two categories, or will all be under the same heading? I vote for the latter since the Taurus X is just an update of the Freestyle.

- Chad
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Done!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Will it be called "Taurus" or "Freestyle".
    How 'bout "The X Files".
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Taurus/Taurus X production was supposed to start today.
    Will it be called "Taurus" or "Freestyle".

My understanding is that it will be the Taurus X. Does anyone here know for sure?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    "Does anyone here know for sure?"

Yes I do. They've decided to call it the Freestar II Eddie Bauer Edition. Pretty catchy.. don't ya think?
    Pretty catchy.. don't ya think?

Really! :)

Thanks, passat_2002. Okay, so do we want another title change for this page? All in favor ... raise your hand!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    My question had to do with the name of this forum.
    "Yes I do. They've decided to call it the Freestar II Eddie Bauer Edition. Pretty catchy.. don't ya think?"

Oh puuuleese! We already have 1/2 the continent thinking the Freestyle is the Freestar... :sick:
    Source? I know that the Chicago plant is extremely flexible, but the X production already?

There's no pricing that I've seen yet anywhere.

Unless it's the pre-production runs and full scale is later this Spring/Summer.

The '07 Fresstyle was a short run then. Anybody know how many units were built?

I was just on the Ford site yesterday too.
    "Oh puuuleese! We already have 1/2 the continent thinking the Freestyle is the Freestar... "

Believe me.. I feel your pain. I only sought to bring a little levity to the predicament we Freestyle owners find ourselves in.
    I heard Taurus X won't ship to dealers until August. We do not have any on order yet at my dealership.

Mark
    Obviously, Ford wants to nail production of the Taurus sedan first. It's also probably the more needed vehicle at dealerships at present. The Edge can carry a dealer's crossover needs until fall. But there's no large sedan to fill-in for the Taurus until then.
    Nobody has heard a word about the old 500 in a long time. Ford is hoping that those who knew about it will have forgotten when they spring the new Taurus on us. They had better start sneaking in a few Taurus commercials on American Idol to drum up some interest. Nonetheless, I will be giving the Taurus a drive. The power will be up, and if the the refinement is too, I will buy one.
    No new posts since May?

X pricing is out. I'm not impressed, and have been told September for first metal on the lots.

I might not be able to wait that long now. I might have to end up in a van...
    there's this thing called the Freestyle and it's available now at a screaming deal and you can drive one home tomorrow if you like...
  • dougmalissadougmalissa Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2006 Freestyle SEL and the rear fixed triangle windows actually push in when I press on them. (They go in about 1/4 inch) Wondered if this was normal or an issue.
    Anyone else had this issue?
    There is, but selection is lousy in Boston. (all over Boston and suburbs)

I'll bet I can get a sweet deal right now tho.

My time frame is late July (new baby due in mid July) We're waiting to see what our needs really are.

I'm just surprised that there's been no talk at all of late :)

Does anybody have real info on X availability this Fall? It appears that Sync is not in the cards for the early vehicles- based on cars.com anyhow. I'd really like Bluetooth integration for my cell phone
    the dealer found ours with the option package we wanted at a dealer in omaha and went and got it for us(we're in chicago)

as for bluetooth, less than $40 for the ear mounted one solves that making it a whole lot cheaper than ford is going to charge you and if it stops working you are only on the hook for another $40.

we were like you 2 years ago, bought ours just short of a month before our baby was born and it was good we did because she was 3 weeks early and my wife works in the burbs so if we would have waited any longer I wouldn't have had an easy way to make the big event... good luck with yours...

the cvt/3.0 is a great package and at the prices you can score one for now I'd really give it a serious look...

my $.02