Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I have a 2006 Freestyle SEL and the rear fixed triangle windows actually push in when I press on them. (They go in about 1/4 inch) Wondered if this was normal or an issue.
    Anyone else had this issue?"

OK, I just gotta ask. Why were you pushing on those windows anyway?
  • geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    I have an odd question, I've seen the Freestyles at my local Ford Dealership, now are they basically a smaller version of the Ford Explorer and a cross between the Freestar mini van? For some reason I like their looks however they have a station wagon sort of look to them, are these more for the mini van drivers?
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    They're tall station wagons!

Think of it as the Five Hundred wagon, but taller than a normal wagon. That's what it is!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Call them tall wagons, CUVs, minivans without sliding doors, or SUVs...bottom line is to compare their capability in transportating passengers/cargo to other vehicles you're interested in that meet your needs. If you need to carry 6-7 passengers with a good amount of cargo space and don't need to tow much, then this is a good vehicle choice.
  • xnappoxnappo Member Posts: 47
    You forgot 'and care about gas mileage'

xnappo
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Have been catching up on posts last couple of weeks. We are seriously considering the FS/TX as our second family vehicle for a family of 6. Will see almost exclusive town driving. Really like what is has to offer and for my needs it clearly beats out the competition. I was going to pick up an 07 but find the performance a little bland (I can live with it though) and wonder where resale will go in the future with what turned out to be a 3 year experiment with the CVT. I had expected the mileage to drop for the 08's using the 3.5L 6sp in the CX9 as a guide, but the good news is that the new Taurus gets identical gas mileage numbers as the 07 500. This suggests that the gearing has been tweaked to maintain current fuel efficiency numbers and the TX should at least maintain it's current mileage figures. A big plus. Add in Stability control and the 08's may be worth waiting for. The big question will be $$$.
    As an aside, Ford totally blew marketing this vehicle. I only found it when I was walking across the dealer lot after test driving the new Expedition Max/LT (potential replacement for primary family vehicle, a Suburban but no longer an option) and said,"Hey, what's this?".
    If you can find a Freestyle the way you want it, I imagine it'll be several YEARS (if ever) before you could get the new Taurus-X at the equivalent price.

Remember, it's not resale value that matters . . it's the total dollars "lost" from what you PAID for it divided by the number of YEARS that you kept it.
    Saw my first Taurus at the dealer yesterday, and have the pre-release 1 page brochure for the T-X. Anyone know when they will be on the ground? Of course, our Canadian schedule and the US one may differ. I used to scoff at what I considered ridiculous options and add-ons but stability control, auto folding seats and power liftgate are all items I could see myself enjoying as 4 kids jump in and out of the car on a regular basis.
    Dealers here aren't in fire-sale mode to dispose of the 07's yet so I'll keep waiting.
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    it'll be worth the wait...
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    :(
    Mark
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Yesterday i drove a 2008 Taurus and was impressed with the improvement . Not only is the power there,but probably more important the level of refinement has gone way up. The ride has been softened and maybe some won't like that, but to me it was very good. Felt more like a luxury car. And it is a bargain if one stays away from 4wdr and and navigation systems. I would prefer some means to shift manually, but by keeping the OVD off in the city, the drivability was excellent. i expect the Taurus X will be a winner. Now if Ford can convince people to go and try.
  • jrljrl Member Posts: 39
    Talked to my local ford dealer yesterday about the Taurus X. After much questioning..he finally showed me an invoice sheet that said he had 3 Taurus Xs on order and that one was placed 6/22 and two on 6/28. This makes since with Ford website that claims production of taurus x started on 6/22..same as taurus and sable. He claims the xs should be there in about 1 to 3 weeks..leading me to believe before August. Yet on Ford website you still can not build a 2008 x. Also...just for interest..Dealer was nice..but when I asked him what the difference was he replied.."Well..have you seen the new Taurus..basically it has a new front on it...everything else is pretty much the same as the freestyle." I had to remind him that the engine and transmission is also new...he never mentioned the possibilties of it riding better, or any other "improvements". I'm just saying..if you really wanna sell a vehicle..is that how? Maybe Ford..Gm..has more than just product issues?? Again the man was very nice..but I would give him a low mark on his own knowledge of the vehicles he is trying to sale...something I have encountered many times at different Ford dealers...have a good one!
    There many nice and informed dealers out there and just as many who aren't.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    EXTENDED COVERAGE PROGRAM
    07N10 Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank M. Ligon
    Director
    Service Engineering Operations
    Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
    P.O. Box 1904
    Dearborn, Michigan 48121

July 3, 2007

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 07N10
    Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

PROGRAM TERMS

This program extends the warranty coverage of the rear brake pads to 3 years of service or 36,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already accumulated more than 36,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2007. This program provides one-time replacement coverage, and is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego FWD & AWD and Ford Freestyle FWD vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through November 28, 2006.
    Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Freestyle AWD Vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through Job Last 2007.
    Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.
    REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

Some of the affected vehicles may have had direct exposure to moisture for an extended period that may have caused the pads to “swell” and create a slight drag condition. Low levels of brake drag might not be noticed by a customer, but could lead to premature brake pad wear and excessive brake dust.

SERVICE ACTION
    2005 through 2007 FWD and AWD Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego & FWD Freestyle Vehicles

If an affected vehicle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rear rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

2005 through 2007 AWD Freestyle Vehicles

Due to the configuration of the braking system on AWD Freestyle vehicles the front brake pads must be replaced when rear brake pads are replaced. Therefore, this program will allow replacement of front brake pads, but only if the rear brake pads require replacement during the same visit.
    If an affected AWD Freestyle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the front and rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

NOTE: Brake pad inspection is part of normal maintenance and is not covered as part of this program. If the vehicle is within this extended time and mileage coverage and the owner experiences a brake system symptom or during a normal maintenance inspection (brakes every 15,000 miles or more often, per the Scheduled Maintenance Guide) the vehicle's rear brake pads are found to have less than 3 millimeters (0.118 inch) of lining material, then Ford Motor Company will cover the cost of replacing the rear brake pads.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

Mailing will begin July 9, 2007.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
    Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
    Attachment III: Technical Information

Customer Notification Letter

QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE

Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) …………….…………………….1-800-325-5621
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Also, in addition to the engine and trans, there was a huge change to the front end. Instead of mounting suspension on a subframe, they are using hydromounts which reduces unsprung weight. This will help ride and quiet.

Mark.
  • jrljrl Member Posts: 39
    Anyone know when Ford might update their website to build the x? It seems odd that the x is coming out about the same time as the new Highlander....but no one has done a test drive with it. I have a bad feeling about this car..its not getting much attention...kinda like the vehicle it is replacing. I do not see Ford promoting the taurus much either...what gives? Most people probably do not even know there is a new taurus out there...much less a taurus x. Ford needs to get some press time with this vehicle if it is improved as much as some feel the taurus is over the 500. Thanks
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    The Nat'l ads that run on TV seem to still be pushing the Edge. Local TV ads are (of course) trucks. Perhaps Ford is waiting until they have dealerships stocked with both the Taurus and the "X" model Taurus before starting a Nat'l ad campaign. That won't be for a while yet. Labor day would be my guess. Lets just hope they don't bring back the "divorce" themed ad!
    You can build a Canadian X at Ford.ca now. Just can't tell you how the specs between the US and Canadian might differ. Just started family pricing promo here, so prices are good and more to the point, about C$1900 list over '07. There's an additional 1200 cash back on '07, I wonder what the hidden incentives are for remaining stock? I don't see myself holding the vehicle for 7+ years, so I'd lose more than the stated savings on resale of the one year older vehicle.
  • bahamamichaelbahamamichael Member Posts: 7
    Anyone know when Ford might update their website to build the x? It seems odd that the x is coming out ...

I came across a picture of a Mercury CUV on http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4219078.html
    This vehicle is supposed to be a model that was shelved by Ford, well anyway, so says the guys at Popular Mechanics. I think that they are wrong about this. I think that this model will be produced at a later date. This CUV looks to be the Mercury version of the Ford Taurus X. Look closely at the headlight cluster, the new satin aluminum grill, and the lower front fascia. They ALL look like styling cues from the 2008 Mercury Sable.
  • bahamamichaelbahamamichael Member Posts: 7
    Compare these pictures. The first one is from the Mercury CUV at http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4219078.html and the second one is at http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-taurus-sable-on-track/293664/ , the fact that the Montego has been somewhat redesigned to become the Sable (once again), proves that this CUV had to have been designed recently. This Mercury CUV looks like it is going to be the Mercury version of the Ford Taurus X. What do you think guys?
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    I don't know if it will ever be produced, but given the number of mistakes in the article, it is a safe bet that the PM writer has no clues. The "Taurus S" and the Lincoln Zephyr that is now called the MK/X? Wonder where they find these writers?
  • northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    The swelling of the rear pads explains a lot. Though many on this post have questioned the ability of Ford engineers to design a brake system, it appears to be a simple materials issue.

On a different note, I have owned my Freestyle for 2.5 years. It has been a great vehicle. Seeing the new pricing on the Taurus X, I realize what a value the Freestyle has been. :shades:
    still can't buy the lack of cvt and the 3.5 and its mpg numbers as a move in the right direction...better interior materials, that's what it really needed and still does to compete as other than that it's a great package
    better interior materials, that's what it really needed

I just don't get this "better materials needed" nonsense.

Do you stroke your Freestyle, or something? :P
    "still can't buy the lack of cvt and the 3.5 and its mpg numbers as a move in the right direction..."

I like my CVT too, but apparently we're in a very small minority that do. Americans want a transmission that "shifts". Ford has learned this lesson the hard way. Nissan is learning it now too.

All mileage figures for 2008my vehicles will appear to suck. We're just going to have to go through an adjustment period with our brains. I think it's likely that a sane driver will easily be able to do better than what the new EPA figures would suggest.
    I paid less money for my passat in 98 even adjusted for the difference in age and the interior quality is light years better. The Ford's hard plastic for the dash scratches, the carpet is the same carpet american cars has come with for an eternity, the monochrome-ness of it all with no visual relief with a bit more trim, accent, something, dash glare(there is NO reason for that to have gotten through to production), I have leather but the cloth stains very easily, but my biggest gripe is the quality of the hard plastics and their suceptibility to scratching. So yeah Ford could improve their interiors and I'm not the only one who has noticed.

It's not about dash stroking, it's about what you touch and interact with and what we paid for it, they simply could have done a better job.
    I like my CVT too, but apparently we're in a very small minority that do. Americans want a transmission that "shifts".

You'd think that Ford (and Nissan) could provide a firmware that would simulate a "shift" in the CVT, for those who prefer it.
    I can agree on the glare . . but I've never had scratches on my Ford interiors, and the carpet has been more than good enough.

Trim? Accent? Eyuck! I don't even care for the simulated wood in my Limited.

I've been a passenger in plenty of "the competition" (both foreign and domestic), and I just don't get a sense of anything better in their interiors. About the ONLY difference is that I've chosen the light tan interior for both my vehciles, and most other people seem to choose the darker colors.
    The thing I like most about the CVT in my Freestyle is how it climbs hills- no hestitations, no shift shock, no letting up at the wrong time. it's a bit like full-time cruise control. The CVT in the Nissans is excellent, too. I guess most people like jerky shifts, though.
    The CVT in the Nissans is excellent, too. I guess most people like jerky shifts, though.

Like most things in life, most people are idiots. :P

Is Nissan giving up on the CVT, as well? That would be too bad.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    If anything I though Nissan was extending its use of the CVT as it is now used though out the Altima range. However I understand that it is tuned to feel more like a normal auto complete with shift points in its manual mode.

Thanks to the guy who posted the bulletin on the brakes. My May 2005 AWD Limited goes in for its 15,000 service tomorrow and its nice to have this in my hand, because in the past I have complained about the excessive brake dust from the rears but the last time they were checked the service group claimed their were wearing normally ...

I would like to have my car covered by the program to have both the front and rear replaced on warranty but knowing my luck my Freestyle will be one of the AWDs not covered under this warranty....
    However I understand that it is tuned to feel more like a normal auto complete with shift points in its manual mode.

Don't think I'd like that.

knowing my luck my Freestyle will be one of the AWDs not covered under this warranty....

I got both my warranty letters (one for my Freestyle, one for the Five Hundred) on this issue yesterday.

The way I read it, it only covered the REAR brakes.

Doesn't really matter for me, since I've had very little wear amounts on both vehicles at 15k miles (last checkup).
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    The service bulletin started that the AWD Freestyle front and rear brakes have to be replaced simultaneously. Hence if the rears need to be replaced under warranty then the fronts will also be covered by Ford.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    Well, I'm out of luck on getting anything back from Ford on the brake job on my '05 AWD since I didn't do the job until 38k miles. I did receive a recall notice for my Freestyle but it only extended the warranty to 36k miles. According to the program I should have gotten front and rear pads at the same time but my local Ford dealer only did the rears. I wonder if I have any recourse at all.
    I don't see why you wouldn't. It's 3yr. 36k miles. But the 36k limit is over-ridden by the Dec. 31, 2007 date mentioned in the third sentence of the third paragraph of the letter.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I saw a Taurus X today driving in the Lowes lot in Howell, MI. I followed it for several minutes before she decided on a parking slot.

Lady in her 70's, sharp mind and car-knowledgeable.

She went to dealer to get info. Dealer said they didn't have brochures, but they did have a car. She bought it.

It's clearly a Freestyle derivative, but with much-improved styling inside & out. Inside looks rich.
    "Inside looks rich."

A Limited model I assume.

Did it have the power liftgate?
    Was she aware of this feature?
    "It's clearly a Freestyle derivative, but with much-improved styling inside & out. Inside looks rich."

We more than knew the derivitive part. Not sure how you run with the idea of much improved interior styling as it hasn't changed short of some contrasting colors thrown on the door panels, different gauges and a bit more shiney stuff around gauges and a few buttons. That to me hardly implies much improved and worth the price premiums they are going after. As for the exterior it's more in line worth the corporate look but again I would not give it a "much-improved" on those points.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    1- I think so
    2- Don't know
    3- Don't know
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I saw two on the lot of the dealer I was having our Explorer's oil changed at today. MUCH better looking now! Freealfas, you mentioned that the interior is not exactly "much improved" because it is basically the old interior with some new shiny stuff. That is true but it does look much better now, could still be improved of course, after seeing it and the interior of the '07 Freestyle next to it all in one look. Didn't get to touch them though.

They had several Tauruses as well. I have to say, I didn't much like them in pictures but in person they are actually quite nice. More aggressive looking and somehow they look larger.
  • ka2ka2 Member Posts: 11
    We test drove 3 of them- 2 SEL AWD with 17 inch wheels and A limited AWD with 18 inch wheels. Loved that there was virtually no vibration while sitting still at lights and was quiet on back roads-noisy on highway. We are trying to figure out why 1 SEL from one dealer drove great with little roll or sway and seemed to glide over bumps and we drove it right off the delivery truck without it being serviced. But the 2nd SEL we tried from a different dealer was serviced and tuned before we went out in it and had a lot of sway and we could really feel the road bumps. They both were identical as far as having 17 inch continental tires and AWD. They said the tires were filled correctly. It was a very noticeable difference. The limited had 18 inch wheels and were perrelli tires which I thought would make us feel the road more but they didn't and we think it was a quieter ride on the highway and seemed to sway less but we need to test it again on more familar roads to really know. Would love to hear feedback as to why the SEL rides could be so different. We are considering this to buy (getting over a back injury and the low vibration in this is great-we tried a lot of vehicles) but nervous abut how the rides can be so different. thanks for any info-KH
    They may have been identical vehicles.. but they were not driven under identical conditions. The different locations means different roads were driven.

I don't know what you mean by "sway". Vehicles don't sway, that I am aware of. If you mean it would "drift" from one lane into another, that can be accounted for by many things, including wind conditions, an under or over-inflated tire, or even just the crown of the road.

Where do you live that they already have so many X's in stock?
  • dnashdnash Member Posts: 35
    I don't know that I believe there has been a huge rejection of the CVT. You rarely see a complaint on the Freestyle message boards and the biggest issue people have is a fear of failures, which also seems to be a false impression.

The biggest factors are the added cost of the CVT over the 6-speed with little or no mileage gain and the possibility that it won't handle the torque of the 3.5 that everyone had to have.

I think sales of the Freestyle were more a factor of marketing. I also seem to recall seeing the Nissan's sales have been trending upward over the last couple of months as their new models take off. Probably helps that they actually advertised the CVT and it's benefits.
    "I don't know what you mean by "sway". Vehicles don't sway, that I am aware of. If you mean it would "drift" from one lane into another, that can be accounted for by many things, including wind conditions, an under or over-inflated tire, or even just the crown of the road."

I'm thinking body roll is what they are reacting to from the limited description. Also just because they said air pressure was correct does not mean they were the same from one to another. Correct to one might mean 32psi and correct to another might mean 34psi and that will be noticable in some cases. They also weren't clear whether they were buying new or used and that would definitely have an affect on vehicle feel one to another.

I think the comment about being driven on different roads is probably telling in this situation. In the real world of mass production though you can find variables between vehicles or maybe you found one that had bad or slightly different dampers(shocks) from the factory.

I don't think there are dealer's "tuning" a car after delivery short of making sure fluids are topped up and pressues are where they belong, Other than that how vehicles roll off the truck are pretty much how you are buying them.
    i have driven both the SEL and the Limited. The SEl has the better ride and lower road noise because of the tires. The Limited has more road feel and maybe the steering has a slightly more precise feeling. While I like some of the equipment available only on the Limited, I think I prefer the SEl because of its ride and noise. Neither tire is a mileage champ.
    Hi I am the original poster asking about the different rides. The 2 SEL AWD Taurus X's that we drove were on the exact same roads. The rides were amazingly and very noticeably different. One that was prepped by the dealer and had way more body roll by that I mean you needed to work at keeping yourself balanced in the seat you could feel your body swaying everytime the road wasn't perfectly straight and you could feel more bumps every time you went over a rough spot in the road. The vehicles did not sway into another lane. We live in the north east. The limited we drove was on different roads and to compare I said we needed to retest it on the same roads as the SEL models.
    Hi I am the original poster and was wondering what tires were on the limited you tried were they perrelli or continental etc? SOmeone mentioned the perrelli tires give more of a sport feel when driving in that you pick up more on road surface and can make the drive feel different.
    Hi I am the original poster- by sway I meant our bodies felt like every time we were not driving on a perfectly straight road we could feel our bodies swaying and have to work at staying balanced in the seat (your back gets sore after a while of this) So roll is what I was referring to and it also hit the road harder picking up every rough spot.The tires on both vehicles were the same. Only difference was one was driven "tuned" by the dealer and one was driven straight off the truck the one off the truck seemed much better ride. Also we drove both SEL AWD Taurus on the same roads. It was the limited we drove in a different area so road conditions were no the issue. None of the cars drifted into other lanes. Your description of maybe the shocks not being quite right along with tire pressure even though it was what they called "tuned" at the dealership seems like it might be the issue. The Limited seemed quieter on the higway but it had different tires so that could be why since I am told there is no difference in sound deadening in the SEL and Limited models.
    you didn't say whether these we new or used vehicles.

the dealer is blowing smoke up, well you know where, with what they called "tuned" unless they swapped out suspension pieces or made modifications somehow in one vs. the other. I suspect they are just throwing that term around to set you up for a "tuning" fee ($) when it comes time to deal.

Ask them specifically what they do during the "tuning" process and see what they say to that as I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear that line of information, I mean BS.
    -Hi this was for a brand new off the truck 2008 Ford Taurus X Sel Awd By tuned I was told the fluids were checked tires balanced air pressure checked certain systems activated.-KA