Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ha - how about the Mulally Special? :D
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    How about "I can't believe it's not a Freestyle!"

Seriously, I think we should keep these message boards in tact due to the Taurus X simply being an evolution of the Freestyle. They are not two separate vehicles so lets keep everything the same and perhaps just add Taurus X to the message board titles. There probably should be a new forum however for just '08 and newer Taurus X issues... you know for when those new automatic trannies start blowing up while our CVTs run forever. ;)

- Chad
    Makes sense - so, is the Taurus X widely available at the dealers yet? I heard late summer, but it sounds like a few posters here have at least test driven one.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I have had days when I have had strong feelings, other days when my feelings are kinda weak, and the occasional day when I simply feel wishy-washy, indecisive, and noncommittal...and today is one of those days when I just am not quite sure where I fit into the scheme of things...

Does that information help you at all???...:):):)
  • bobnu75bobnu75 Member Posts: 21
    I was waiting at a stop light this morning in north suburban Chicago and saw one pass by on the cross street.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I like this option for its content. I also feel strongly that Taurus X should get top billing, since it's the existing vehicle that people are likely to search for.
    Search is important. I'll quiz management and see how the category is going to shake out on the New Cars pages so we can try to be mostly consistent with that.
  • byrdsbyrdsbyrdsbyrds Member Posts: 3
    Ford doesn't know how to market new models. The truck commercials seem stuck in the 70's. And the only Freestyle commercial I ever saw, was some lame-o thing about a wimpy divorced father seeing his kids (the ex-wife had the Freestyle). Wouldn't make you want to buy.

I didn't know the Freestyle existed before I bought my '06.
    I saw a used '05 at a dealer, as I was leaving, having not really cared for the Escape and Explorer models I drove.
    :P :P :P
    Ford has never really pushed the Freestyle, always treating it like some poor, unwashed orphan. Now they want to sell Volvo, who provided the chassis (X70 I believe) - so does Ford then put something else down there?

Dredging up the Taurus name for the 500 and Freestyle has to be one of the most obvious, desperate marketing ploys that has ever been done. It tells the public and the motoring press that you don't know how to do your job.

We should all write the CEO and tell him just that.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    FWIW - Freestyle is not in the crossover segment of the website anymore I just found out...
  • jrljrl Member Posts: 39
    Ford just made 750 million net profit..maybe Mulally should rename some more vehicles? I agree with the marketing though...look at Toyota...their truck commercials are more "American" than Chevy, Dodge, or Ford. I've already seen two diffrent commercials for the new Highlander..and seen both several times! Isn't that the competition? Maybe its like a presidential campaign..and since Ford is low on campiagn money...they wont be doing much advertising! TO BAD :sick:
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Anyone? Anyone?
  • geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    I would say keep it named Ford Freestyle - Taurus X that way people with Ford Freestyle's wouldn't feel left out and or it would make it easier on searching and there wouldnt be separate discussions on the side about the Freestyle since now their one in the same. :)
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    Despite some obvious similarities, the Taurus X is a significantly different vehicle compared to a Freestyle. The Freestyle I own will always be unique because of it's CVT. The X, on the other hand, will always uniquely have..

1) a different and much more powerful engine
    2) a 6-speed trany
    3) a completely different AWD system
    4) AdvanceTrac
    5) much better NVT
    6) much better Styling (subjective, I know.. but most would agree)
    7) Ford "Sync" (optional perhaps, but most will want it when they see it)
    8) a much different name. Ford has decided to link the X to the Taurus sedan.. not the Freestyle.

Give the Taurus X it's own forum listing and topic areas. It will reduce confusion.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I agree.

Important to consider is the car shopper in 2008, 2009 & forward. Will they know to search for Freestyle in order to get Taurus X information?
  • geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    Well the way i see it, there will be a Ford Freestyle discussion forum just sitting idle if the forum moves to a Taurus X only discussion, as I said that really singles out the owners of the Freestyles and the shoppers who will be shopping for the 2009 Taurus X I would highly think they would know their Taurus X was once known as a Freestyle unless they haven't been keeping up with Ford, Yes I agree Ford did some major upgrades to the Freestyle and its now known as the Taurus X. Just as they did with the Ford Five Hundred to the New Taurus with major upgrades and a new engine etc. My point was if the discussion is called Ford Freestyle - Taurus X and someone is doing a search how could that be confusing? why not have the best of both owners together?
    yet another reason to buy a FS/T-reX

FS rated one of best CUV's for rear crash testing...BTW

edited down for post full link here

//www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19569300/

"The test results released Tuesday found several SUVs had improved protections against whiplash injuries but gave poor marks to vehicles made by several leading automakers, including BMW AG, DaimlerChrysler AG, Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Nissan Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said the simulated rear crashes at 20 miles per hour showed that many large vehicles fall short in protecting against neck injuries, which lead to 2 million insurance claims a year costing at least $8.5 billion.

Several SUVs made progress — 17 of 59 SUVs from the 2007 model year received top ratings in the testing, compared with six of 44 SUVs tested in 2006.

The best performers among 2007 SUVs included: Acura MDX and RDX; Lincoln MKX, Ford Edge and Ford Freestyle; Honda CR-V, Element and Pilot; Hyundai Santa Fe; Jeep Grand Cherokee; Kia Sorento; Land Rover LR3; Mercedes M Class; Mitsubishi Outlander; Subaru B9 Tribeca and Forester, and Volvo XC90.

SUVs from the 2007 model year rated poorly were: BMW X3 and X5; Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy and Isuzu Ascender; Cadillac SRX; Chrysler Pacifica; Dodge Nitro; Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer; Mitsubishi Endeavor; Hummer H3; Hyundai Tucson; Jeep Liberty; Kia Sportage; Lexus GX470 and RX; Nissan Xterra; Saab 9-7X; Suzuki XL7; Toyota 4Runner and Highlander."
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    If you sat in a Freestyle and drove it around and then sat in a Taurus X and drove it around, about the only thing you'd notice are the lack of shift points in the Freestyle and better MPG. Not much improvement in my book. They should have just added the traction control to the FS, and change the name and grill if the advertisers really wanted that too.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Was it faster? Was the cabin quieter? Did it have power rear seats and a power lift gate? Was there anything you liked about the new X?
    Those of us who are Freestyle owners shouldn't get defensive about this. Regardless of whether or not one thinks the changes are an improvement or not, they are nevertheless significant changes all the same. My point in my earlier post was that mechanically speaking, the Taurus X is a whole lot different than a Freestyle. A board that is common to both vehicles will lead to a lot of confusion.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Regardless of whether or not one thinks the changes are an improvement or not, they are nevertheless significant changes all the same."

I think that the T-Rex is still a Freestyle underneath. It is true that they are renaming the line, but the design and basic functionality is the same. The length, width, height, weight, seating capacity, and even most of the sheet metal are all the same.

Would we rename a Mustang forum because they added an engine / transmission, or changed the sheet metal?

When Ford re-designs the entire platform, THAT is the time to set up a separate forum.

So long as a new user will come across their vehicle of interest when they search for "Taurus X", I think the T-Rex forum should remain with the FS.

To this end, I suggest that Edmunds rename this forum as "Freestyle / Taurus X".

Just the fact that we are having this discussion is an indicator that the FS and T-Rex are the same vehicle. No one had any questions when they created the "Acadia" or "Outlook" forums.
  • tomkat2tomkat2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I took out an AWD Taurus X Limited two weeks ago. I was very impressed with the quality inside and out. The new 3.5/6sp drivetrain is an improvement from the 3.0/cvt in my opinion. The color combination of the interior was impressive as was the fit and finish. I have taken quite a few Freestyles out and was looking to purchase one, but after reading the improvements Ford made with the X, I'm glad I waited. Its only a matter of time before we're getting one......
  • slider7slider7 Member Posts: 33
    As I read through, the 500/Taurus, Montego/Sable, Freestyle/Taurus X forums, and being a new 06 Five Hundred owner, you gotta love the dealer factory reps pretending to be owners coming onto this site to passively/aggressively blame buyers & Edmunds for the "confusion" between these vehicles. If the old motto was Quality Is Job One in a conservative era, the new motto must be Equality Is Job One in the new left era. Where did all those employee "quality circles" go from the 1980's that the company raved about? Too bad employees and stockholders couldn't stop the quack who created the PAG candybasket. Volvo/Mazda are the only beneficial nameplates to Ford because they have impeccable engineering, not "brand implied class status".
    "As I read through, the 500/Taurus, Montego/Sable, Freestyle/Taurus X forums, and being a new 06 Five Hundred owner, you gotta love the dealer factory reps pretending to be owners coming onto this site to passively/aggressively blame buyers & Edmunds for the "confusion" between these vehicles."

Well, I own a 2006 FWD SEL. Anybody else care to chime in with their FS specs? BTW, only about 15K on my FS.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Could it be the fact that the test states no ASC at the top, and lists it as standard at the bottom? Or Maybe the 16" tires listed as the tire size? Maybe they don't know what they are doing?
    start with the pictures

then the curb weight

then the fact that the car pictured is NOT an 08 taurus despite being labeled one.
    You mean a picture of a 1997 Taurus won't do? Oh well...at least it's a trip down memory lane for us older guys.
    the link on the T-reX/ford website indicating the testing and being top rated links directly to that link I mentioned. Seems Ford might want to get that fixed sooner than later.
    I'm not even sure the NHSTA has tested a 2008 Taurus X. I seem to remember a discussion somewhere that concluded that they were merely using figures obtained from an earlier test of a Freestyle.
    "click on the nhtsa site and tell me what stinks about these links "

Interesting. The first time I clicked on the link I saw both Taurus and Taurus X. If I click on the link now I see only the Taurus. I wonder if they found the problem with the website?

The Taurus details don't list DRL, which can be programmed on the FS. I wonder if they still work on the Taurus X...

UPDATE:

Yup, they fixed the site, it now refers to the Taurus X in the "SUV" category instead:

US DOT Taurus X Safety Ratings

Right pictures, still no mention of ESC (which is standard, I believe, on the 2008) or DRL.
    No.. the pictures are not right. The pictured vehicle is a 2005 Freestyle SE. I believe the crash data given is also from this vehicle.

That I know of.. nobody has yet crash tested a 2008 Taurus X.
    When I first clicked on the link, there were no pictures, and I missed the curb weight. This time it is a Freestyle, the weight seems right, but still no ESC listed. also the rollover chance went up from 10 to 13 or 14%
    "No.. the pictures are not right. The pictured vehicle is a 2005 Freestyle SE. I believe the crash data given is also from this vehicle. "

Hmmm, maybe the DOT has solved our problem of "renaming the forum". They insist that the FS and T-Rex are the same car! :P
    Does this car even exist? Still none at my local dealer..and they said they ordered 3 back in June..around 22 or so when production began. Does it really take that long to deliver a vehicle?
    I've seen them on trucks headed east from chicago...

not sure if that's in your direction or not...
    live in Southwest VA...guess they might arrive for Christmas! :)
  • atlasvtatlasvt Member Posts: 2
    I love my 07 limited Ford Freestlye. I never liked Fords until this car came out. The high safety rating combined with great fuel mpg from the CVT and a very effecient interior made for a great non minvan familar car. With the CVT I had seen up to 31.5 mpg average on 4-5 hour interstate trips. For Ford to drop back to 6 speed and give more power to the car was the worst thing to do. They listen to bad reviews on the freestyle instead of the customer who actually bought the car. What a screw up. I mean all the vehicles are looking at higher mpg and then they go backward with a 6 speed from CVT. The only thing the freestyle needed was a name change back to Tarus X and getting rid of the SE model. I agree with this but the powertrain change is appauling. No wonder imports now have over 50% of the market. Even when these guys do something good the screw it up. Shame on you ford. My wife doesn't needs a car that feels like high hp hot rod. She needs something to safely, conventiely get her from A to B with the kids and get good mpg.
    atlasvt,

Ford didn't discontinue the CVT just to p!ss you off. They did so because it had become way too expensive to build, and because typical Ford customer's didn't seem to want it anyway, as was shown by continually declining Freestyle sales. I like my CVT too, but I also fully appreciate that it was simply a good business decision by Ford to discontinue it's use.
  • volfangaryvolfangary Member Posts: 105
    Ford has more problems then just the Freestyle. Sales down double digits again last month for the whole company. It's time Ford wakes up or they will be out of business soon!
    really disagree, nissan is using it to good affect, they are differentiating themselves with it with ever expanded model use. better marketing, further development and expanded use could have managed the costs. It's bigger failing was the lack of torque capacity which precluded it from use with the 3.5l.

I really think it is a superior tranny for this type of application. I just think ford pissed up by not continuing it and fully embracing it in the edge, flex, truly setting themselve apart and using that to an advantage as opposed to not using it as a forward thinking marketing image builder.

ford needs to figure out how to lead again as opposed to having the follower mentality it has embraced as of late. it needs another taurus again and I'm not talking about this one.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The Nissan Murano has had its share of problems with the CVT. Nissan may regret switching most of their vehicles to CVT technology.
    They did so because it had become way too expensive to build, and because typical Ford customer's didn't seem to want it anyway, as was shown by continually declining Freestyle sales.

I assume it's your opinion that one of the reasons FS sales went down was because of the CVT, unless you have some facts to link FS sales to the CVT?

I agree with the previous poster who said that they should have just changed the name and left the transmission alone. I really like the CVT. Personally, I think the change to the 6spd was purely a cost-cutting measure.
  • rangaboomrangaboom Member Posts: 6
    One other reason Ford may have replaced the CVT was that their implementation of it wasn't very reliable. I have a '05 Freestyle Limited AWD. The CVT has been replaced/overhauled on it twice. If you read some of the earlier postings on this forum you'll find many more complaints about the CVT. I understand you may not have any problems with yours and mine does run well now but having to get a transmission replaced on a new vehicle under warranty does not exactly inspire confidence in the vehicle.
    "I assume it's your opinion that one of the reasons FS sales went down was because of the CVT, unless you have some facts to link FS sales to the CVT?"

Admittedly.. I have only anecdotal evidence to support that claim. But there was never a positive review of the Freestyle's drivetrain. In fact, the reviews were always quite the opposite concerning engine and transmission. For better or worse, people read the reviews, and believed them to be gospel truth.
    I've read reviews saying the engine was underpowered, but I don't recall any negative reviews on the transmission.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    The CVT was always described as smooth and responsive by the reviewers if a bit slower off the line. Those of us who drive one will confirm that. There have been some transmission problems, but to keep things in perspective, go to the Camry, Accord, Acura sites and you will also find reports of transmission problems. It is an unusual transmission and some don't like it- I do. But it was correctly stated that it is expensive to build and maintain. The fluid costs $17 per quart. I wonder if this will be readily available in the future. I have thought of buying enough for one fluid change at 60,000.
    I think most reviewer's tended to tie them together. There were certainly none who sang any praises of the CVT. That's for sure.

But as I said before, I think the "typical" Ford customer here in America was unsure what a CVT was, and therefore steered clear of it. Without argument, it had surely become too expensive to go on using, given the dollar/euro exchange rate. (Most parts, I believe, were from Germany/Austria) So call the 6-spd a "cost-cutting" move if you will. It still simply makes good business sense to use it instead. That was my point. The "marketplace" will now tell the tale. I'm betting that the '08 "X" will sell much better than the '07 Freestyle did. The new drivetrain will be a big part of the reason why.
    Of course if they actually advertise the TaurusX that will help too, since Ford never pushed the FS much.
    while I can understand your frustration at the situation with your vehicle, you are the exception rather than the rule as other posts indicate this being one of the most trouble free units in the inventory in terms of techs seeing them for problems.

I would imagine looking at the actual numbers it would have no worse a failure rate than a traditional unit.

Ford could have lead but has chosen to follow with the 6spd, I'll be looking at the flex when it comes out and may be swapping our FS for one if the numbers are favorable, if they are not, I'm not sure what the next 7 seater will be...
    Do you still have the Freestyle? I hadn't seen you post of the problem before so just wondering. Mine only has 30k, purchased Nov '04 so it is an early model, and the only problem I've had is the rear brakes. They are now being replaced along with the front, but at least it is for free.
    I still get mad when I hear the complaints about the "underpowered" engine and drivetrain. I love performance cars, and while the FS is a long way from "performance", it certainly has more than enough to move it along quickly. I think the only reason the CVT is being dropped, is the cost to make it. I certainly think the number of problems is below average. I know the 60k service is expensive, so I assume that is indicative of the cost of the tranny. :confuse: