Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• makenasdadmakenasdad Member Posts: 11
    I've had an X for about two weeks now and am very happy. I can only compare it to the Freestyles that I rented via Avis (which I liked but didn't love). The new X is a significant upgrade in nearly every way with two exceptions: gas mileage and exterior color options. By this I refer to the fact that the paint color and clading are two-tone (by design) while I'd prefer a single matching color. Others may prefer the two tone. The gas mileage is a by-product of a much more powerful engine, which I love. My biggest beef with the Freestyle was the power and acceleration which I found lacking. The new engine makes this a strength of the car instead of a liability. In addition, somehow the ride is quieter than the Freestyles I've driven. All the other benefits of the old Freestyle remain, including the super quick and easy configuration of the seating and the stability you like. As to the long term quality and dealer questions it is too soon for me to say, but the initial build quality is pretty good (but not excellent) and certainly does not effect my overall impression negatively. I also upgraded to leather and the DVD package which forced me to get some other convenience features like dual zone AC. I've been very impressed with the DVD system which is better than the one in my Lexus (though two years newer). Ford has a real winner here which is why I am so confused that they have not seen fit to promote it yet.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    What did you pay and what is your MPG?
  • jigmasterjigmaster Member Posts: 32
    I am getting 26MGP with 70% highway and 30% city driving (according to car computer ) so far before engine break in which I consider pretty good. I will test real MPG when I will take my family for longer trip.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    I assume we're talking a FWD X, correct jigmaster? If you're getting that good of mileage before the 3.5L is even broken in, then you have not given up anything to the Freestyle. You may actually be getting better mileage.
    Yes, I have FWD TX. But keep in mind I drive very carefuly with very light foot;). But I must admit I am nicely surprised as well ( unless computer is a freaking lying :confuse: )
  • makenasdadmakenasdad Member Posts: 11
    Mine is a company car, so I can't say I paid attention to the price. My MPG has been 16.4 according to the on board computer. This is almost all city driving and is better than I estimated from my first tank (before I discovered the on board computer).
    Yeah, MPG drops significantly in the city:(. I had to do some shopping during the weekend so we did some driving through local shops in the city for two days and it was around 18.5MPG for the weekend acording to car computer.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Today I compared my Freestyle to the new Taurus X. I like the new decoration inside and out, and the engine is more powerful, of course. While the CVT is not as peppy off-the-line, it is smoother and less intrusive than the new 6-spd. The steering and brakes are better in my Freestyle. So at this point, I wouldn't change and don't feel deprived.
  • flufflebugflufflebug Member Posts: 7
    Have had new Taurus X now for about 2 weeks. Turned in 05 Freestyle lease after 2 years. I was afraid I would be disappointed going to the Taurus X after having the Freestyle, but I am very pleased with the Taurus X. I really only miss the CVT when I am in the parking garage at work. I thought I would notice not having it more. The Taurus X is pretty much the same as the Freestyle with some minor improvements. I like the 2 tone interior and the chrome accents. The DVD screen does not block the rear-view anymore. I can see out the back window without any problem. The doors automatically unlock now when the driver's door is opened (yeah!- it's the little things). The hatch is much easier to close. The biggest disappointment is the mileage,not surprisingly. I went from an AWD getting 16/22 (never got the high mileage everybody else reported) to FWD. Today I got 22.6mpg on the highway. Mixed driving I've been getting between 18 and 19 mpg. Other than that, I give the Taurus X a big thumbs up. We were very pleased with the Freestyle we had too. We considered buying it but felt we'd lose money with the money we had already put into leasing, not to mention not having much as warranty.
    For those interested paid $30198 (Z-plan price plus $1000 rebate, including tax) for lt ice blue FWD Limited with DVD system, auxillary heat and Triptunes(for IPOD).
    I must admit I made mistake converting MPG from metric system. It is 24mpg not 26mpg. Sorry for misinformation :blush:
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    And did you convert to US (3.78L) or Imperial (4.54L) gallons?
    Actualy I just found that you can switch to English system on Car computer. So when it shows 9.0 l/100km in metric it is 24mpg after switching to english. Before I was just trying to calculate on my own using metric system converter online but for some reason I got different number than car computer is showing - maybe online tool is using imperial gallons?
    Again, everybody here is used to mpg while all life I was using l/100km, so again sorry for misinformation, next time I will just post in litres per 100km and leave conversion for you guys;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Or just read it off the chart! :)

See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cvanderaacvanderaa Member Posts: 1
    I am also thinking about towing a popup tent trailer with my Freestyle. Any real life towing experiences out there? Good/bad?? TIA.
  • francishsufrancishsu Member Posts: 13
    Any suggestions for covering up some of the chrome interior trim in my Taurus X? Particularly the vent rings and the around the shifter? The sunlight reflecting off of the chrome can be annoying.

I've read a little about vinyl wrap. Also thought about painting, but probably would want something that I undo later if i wanted to. Or maybe there are similar replacement trim for other models that are either black or brushed metal?
    If you could remove them you could always spray paint them flat black. I'm no fan of chrome or wood (fake or real) in cars.
  • hoodoohoodoo Member Posts: 1
    Bought this car certified used with 10k miles from Ford dealer in Sept 2006, it was about 10 months old; has about 26k miles now; needing new tires for winter; Conti tires are so-so; we really like it a lot having 2 kids, wife, hubby with room to spare usually; the engine and CVT don't seem to be any big deal; handles well, very smooth on hwy, takes bumps well, very roomy interior, theater seating is cool, 3rd row is big enough for real people; taken many road trips in Rocky Mtn region where we live and it has done very well in all conditions; the Volvo underpinnings may be the key--that was one reason we bought it; probably would not have considered Ford otherwise; getting about 25 mpg; customer satisfaction runs 8.9-9.3 on Edmunds for the 2005-2007 models so it must not be as bad as media portray it; sad about the new Taurus X name; Freestyle is much better name I think; first Ford car ever owned; have had Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, multiple Subaru Legacy AWD wagons, Subaru Impreza, Pontiac Firebird, Chevy S10, 2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I'm about 1/2 way through my lease, and I really like my 2006 Freestyle. I am considering buying out the lease, but am hesitant because of the CVT. The Freestyle now has a "short lived" transmission that was discontinued.

The odd thing about the situation is that the CVT is one of the things I like about the FS. But I worry about maintenance long term.

For sheer design, driving comfort, versatility, and handling, this is hands down the best family car I have owned. But it is missing a couple of things. The stereo is not the best, and I really needed the power pedals (my wife is short). So I may just wait out the lease and buy a T-Rex.

Any opinions?
    There is absolutely no reason to believe that a CVT transmission will be any less reliable down the road than any other type of automatic tranny. If anything, the CVT should be more reliable long-term because of it's simpler design.

Having said that.. if you just have to have adjustable pedals for your wife, keep in mind that the Flex will also be available by the end of your lease.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Didn't the Limited FS have power pedals? They did here in Canada. Very close to going ahead with the T-X purchase with the principal delay being negotiations over whose car will be replaced.
    I didn't mind the FS ride but the new engine and tranny was very smooth and quiet on the TX test drive. Stability control is a definite plus for us too given long winters with icy roads.
    Like just about any Freestyle owner I suppose, I've made the trek back to a Ford dealer recently to see the Taurus X. I intentionally didn't test drive one, but I did hang around long enough to look closely at several of them. Mixed in with the SEL's and Ltd's were a couple of Eddie Bauer models. I paid special notice to the EB's, but soon came to the conclusion that I didn't like their looks as much as I did the Ltd. & SEL models I saw. Then last night I discovered a Merlot colored Eddie Bauer X parked in a hotel parking lot surrounded by cars and Suv's of all different makes and models. Damn... what a difference. It looked wonderful. I just couldn't get over how much better it looked to me away from the dealer and out in the "wild".

I would hate to lose my Freestyle's CVT by trading in. It's always been my favorite feature. But darn-it if an X in Merlot wouldn't help me forget about it soon enough.

There must be some former Freestyle owners out there who now drive a Taurus X and who also read this forum. Any of you care to share some observations about your new T-X and how it compares to the Freestyle?
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I like my Freestyle for the same reasons you do, especially the CVT. I stopped by my Ford dealer to check out the X and personally I'm not too impressed with the styling changes of the X over the Freestyle. The new three bar grill seems a bit too butch for the overall exterior style and the interior chrome seems like an after thought. I saw a Dark Ink Blue X Limited in a parking lot and frankly I wasn't very impressed. It sure wouldn't have caught my eye like the Freestyle first did. It had no distinctive features from the side and back. Having only one lower cladding color option for the SEL limits its look too and the grey only looks good with a couple of the body colors. I do like the Eddie Bauer lower cladding more and the Merlot and Pueblo Gold is a sharp looking combination. Once again I am wondering if Ford wants to sell any of these cars. I haven't seen a single print or TV add for the X.
    When you think about getting a new Taurus X, what are you going to be getting for your Freestyle? My '05 Freestyle will be paid off Feb '08. It has about 60K miles and runs great. I really like the smooth CVT, especially on road-trips. I average about 24MPG in mixed driving and up to 30MPG on highway road trips if I keep the speed at 65-70mph. Based on KBB, I'd get about $12K as a trade-in, so I think I'm going to keep my Freestyle. I don't see any other vehicle out there that can hold what the FS can hold and get the MPG the FS gets. I've had a couple of minor problems covered by warranty, but nothing big. I have the warranty to 100K miles because of the CVT. It works great but now I'm getting a whine that didn't used to be there, so we'll see how it goes. But right now, I don't see anything out there, especially giving the fact that I'd only get $12K for my FS. I like the $400/month car payment that will soon be ending!
    Yes, there is a awful lot to say in favor of a paid-off car. Nobody would disagree with that. But in your case your decision to keep your Freestyle is really a no-brainer anyway.. given the 100k warranty that I assume you've already paid for. Most don't have that.

So anyone out there driving an X model care to share a little?
    True, but even without the warranty, if I have to pay a couple of thousand to fix the transmission over the next several years, that would be paid for in six months worth of new car payments.

For me, there would have to be something significant about the Taurus X (or any new vehicle) to make me buy another one as long as the current one meets all my needs in a vehicle and remains reasonably reliable.

But every situation is different.
    "If anything, the CVT should be more reliable long-term because of it's simpler design. "

But vastly more expensive to fix if anything goes wrong; the new 6 speed / 3.5L combination is being widely used...
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    But vastly more expensive to fix if anything goes wrong;

there are more than a few cvt's on the road, I would assume no more than the 6spd as just because there are more doesn't equate to lower repair costs.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Unless there is something wrong with the car or your needs change it is always going to be more cost effective to keep an existing car. The reasons I am thinking about trading my 05 for an 08 Taurus X are: bigger engine, more safety stuff (side air bags, stability control), power lift gate and a few other minor changes. Also, although I really like the CVT, Ford does not seem to be committed to it and that could be problematic in the future for repairs and trade-in value.
    The trade-in value of the Freestyle is far more affected by the recent name change than it is by what type of transmission it has. Most people buying a used vehicle have no idea what kind of transmission is in the car they're buying, and they don't much care. What they do care about is condition & mileage.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Assuming that you did not go over miles or way under miles on your leased vehicle it is almost always not a good idea to buy it out.

The residual of most vehicles is subsidized by the manufacturer to make the lease payment more attractive. (the higher the residual-amount the car is worth at lease end-the lower your monthly payment.)

This means that the residual you have to pay to buy your lease out is almost always higher than a comparable car with the same milage sells for as a used vehicle. Also your leased vehicle is out of warranty.

In addition, if you do a 3 year lease then buy the lease out for a 5 year purchase to keep the payments basically the same, you will be making payments on a 6, 7, 8 yr vehicle which is when maintenance costs are the highest. Combine the car payment with the repair bill and you could have been in a new car.

ALSO you most likely will be in a negative equity situtation. For year 1, 2, 3, of your lease buyout payments, you'll owe more on your 4, 5 and 6 year old car than its worth. If you total the vehicle not only will you be without a car, you'll own $$$ to the bank even after the insurance payout.

Mark
    "although I really like the CVT, Ford does not seem to be committed to it"

Although I know you mean the specific CVT found in the Freestyle, Ford is in fact very committed to the CVT in principle. CVT's are used in all hybrid vehicles, including the hybrid versions of the Escape and Mariner. The upcoming hybrid versions of the Fusion and Edge will surely have a CVT in them. Ford also makes extensive use of CVT transmissions in many of their non-hybrid vehicles that they build and sell overseas.
    "there are more than a few cvt's on the road, I would assume no more than the 6spd as just because there are more doesn't equate to lower repair costs."

Not so much repair as parts. The new 6 speed combo is more likely to continue in production; the CVT is grandfathered, and the parts will be more expensive.
    "Although I know you mean the specific CVT found in the Freestyle, Ford is in fact very committed to the CVT in principle. "

Yes, but to my knowledge the Freestyle CVT is not used in any other vehicle... Perhaps someone knows of other applications.
    The bottom line is this. I certainly don't expect to ever have to have my Freestyle's transmission repaired in any way, so I care very little as to what it would cost. Some people obsess over what-if's too much.

The '08 Taurus X appeals to me too. But I certainly wouldn't buy it just to trade-out transmissions.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    As you know from reading my post, the CVT was only one reason for considering an 08 - not the only reason. Ford got rid of their only CVT producing plant so that is a not good sign. The only other CVT in a Ford product is in the Escape Hybrid and its twins which I believe is built by a third party. I have not heard anything about the other Ford hybrids coming in the future. My sources tell me that Ford is betting the future on fuel cell and flex fuel vehicles and not hybrids which they feel have a short life span merely bridging the time until the new technologies come on line. You only need to read the Escape Hybrid thread on Edmunds to see how frustrated customers are with Ford when it comes to their commitment to hybrids.

I have a history of trading cars every few years so I probably would trade my 05 Freestyle soon no matter what kind of transmission it had, but the fact that the CVT is being abandoned is not a good sign in my opinion, especially since it such a good product. I am not worried about the mechanical components which appear to be very sound, but I am worried about the support and future knowledge of all the electronics that control and monitor the CVT.
    Ford IS NOT committed to the CVT. CVT was something they tried and now abandoned. CVT benefits are only on par with a traditional 6 speed automatic. The 6 speed automatic though is less expensive to produce, can handle more torque, and requires less maintenance.

Ford already closed the factory where the CVT is made. They also are retooling an additional factory to make the 6F trans that was co-developed with GM.
    Is there any vehicle out there that has both folding and removeable 2nd and/or 3rd row. While I really like the folding aspect, it would be nice when you know that you're not going to need the 3rd row (eg a long family road trip)to just remove it and not have the wasted space of the folded 3rd row. Or if you really need to move a lot of stuff, it would be nice to be able to remove both the 2nd and 3rd rows to get a lot more space.

I really don't think any vehicle out there has this option, but I'd sure like it.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Look at a Dodge Caravan or a Chrysler Town and Country. They both have stow and go second and third row seats.
  • northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    In December, my '05 Freestyle crossover turns three years of age. During that time, the Ford Edge was going to kill it, the Tribeca would outclass it, the Saturn Outlook / Buick Enclave were going to do it better. You get the idea. In three years, I have only had the latch freeze protection shrouds done, and the driver's window motor replaced. That's it. It has been a great vehicle.

The Taurus X and the Freestyle are the same package. They are a step forward in the Ford technology chain. Accelerate by wire, electronic brake force distribution, Haldex electronic AWD, and leading safety ratings in front, side, and rear-end collision tests due to computer-designed crush zones and seat design, and excellent handling are just a few of these forward tech steps. Based on the CVT, I would say the Freestyle is more technologically advanced than the Taurus X, but that is just the opinion of a proud Freebie owner. And that theater seating...

Ford had to take the chance with a new technology leap on some vehicle. In the 21st century, the rose was pinned on the Freebie. For some, the grass is always greener on the other side, but not for me. I am keeping the Freestyle. I actually prefer it the way it is. This week, three different people admiringly asked, "What is it?" It is a Ford, it is a Freestyle. :shades:
    The Edge was never going to "kill it".. but the Flex just might.
    Chrysler discontinuing the Pacifica will hopefully boost the Taurus X sales. With the Flex coming, it seems possible that the Taurus X could end up being a one year model. I hope not.
    I'm still trying to figure out why the Flex will be built off of the same platform as the Taurus and Taurus X in Ontario instead of in Chicago.

Ford is going to all the trouble of bring a platform to Ontario JUST FOR THE FLEX when Chicago is barely making enough cars to stay open.

If Chicago closes, what will that mean for the Taurus/Sable and the Taurus X?

Mark.
    Well, I have over 3000miles on my TX now and absolutely love it. Drove Freestyle as test drive before buying TX and of course it is to short to compare CVT to new trans, but I have no problems whatsoever with new transmision. It is quite smooth and not as invasive as in other cars I drove and MPG is just slightly less then other Feestyle owners are getting. Plus I like the interior and exterior of TX more.
    I am just surprised that Ford is not doing anything to promote this car. In Calgary I saw only one more TX on the streets so far :confuse: , and I see at least couple Freestyles everyday.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    Chrysler discontinuing the Pacifica will hopefully boost the Taurus X sales

I don't see how ANY rational person could choose the Pacifica over the Freestyle or Taurus X.
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    "I don't see how ANY rational person could choose the Pacifica over the Freestyle or Taurus X."

hit your head on the "a" post/top of door frame enough times getting in and out and you might find yourself dazed and confused enough to buy one.
    People (mostly women) bought the Pacifica based on it's looks. It was the only thing the car had going for it.
    Funny that you mentioned that.. my wife hit her head twice (forget whether it was getting in or out) on the Pacifica when we were taking a look at it, which nixed that for us.

I disagree with the person who said looks were the only thing going for it. I thought it was decent overall, and if my wife hadn't hit her head on it like that, the decision between the Pacifica and Taurus X would have been much more difficult.
    I remember reading about road test Freestyle vs Pacifica and Freestyle was better car overall, even beating Pacifica in 60miles test. How come it can even be close to Taurus X?Less space, poor mileage, not even comparable acceleration, driving and so on...
    We actually rented a Pacifica last year (forget if either of us hit our head back them), so I speak from actual experience with the car. The financial incentives on the Pacifica were better than the Taurus X, and we would have saved some money. Mileage on the Pacifica was not all that different from the Taurus X. We get around 17mpg on the T-X, and got around 16 on the Pacifica if I recall correctly.

Overall driving experience with our Pacifica rental was pleasant. Yes, we liked the Taurus X more, but we also paid more. Your decision should depend on how you're going to use and drive the car, and how much you're willing to pay. If the Pacifica meets your requirements and is cheaper than the Taurus X, then it's a reasonable decision not to spend the additional money if you don't want to.

And people seem to be pretty happy with their '07 Pacificas.. 9.2 average rating on Edmunds. You make it sound like the car is junk or something.

Oh, and another thing.. the '07 Pacifica with the stronger engine (i.e. not the base model) does 0-60 in 7.4 seconds. That's much quicker than the Freestyle.
    thats the review I was talking about, you are right about new Pacifica engine it is more powerful than old one in this review: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0501_2005_ford_2004_chrysler/freesty- le_pacifica_price.html

I am just confused how you getting such a low mileage? I was getting about 24MPG in summer and even now when it is below O Celsius most of the time here I am still getting anywhere from 21.5 to 22.8mpg.