Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    You're right it's rare but catastrophic. If DC wasn't worried about the Gen 3 seatbelt buckles it wouldn't have changed to Gen 4 buckles for the front seats in 02 models.
  • garcia2kogarcia2ko Member Posts: 16
    But rented one last month and it just doesn't come close to our Odyssey. Little things like the annoyingly loud turn signal seem less refined. It reminded me of the Dodge Sundance we rented years ago--lots of noisy parts, like the ratchety seats.

My suggestion to buyers: touch and move everything, then consider if it feels like it will hold up for more than a couple years.

My two cents.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    From your post, you seem like an Odyssey owner had already made up his mind about about DC minivans before you even got behind the wheel. Anoying loud turn signal? Besides it being something that hardly registers as a complaint, how is this necessarily a bad thing? I have seen plently of people on the road who keep their singal on forever simply because they aren't aware it is still activated. If the turning singal in the 2001+ MY DC minivans are the same is in our 2000, which they probably are, I have never thought about it being "annoyingly loud".

Also, keep in mind...you rented a rental car. Which was probably not even near the middle of the Chrysler minivan line in terms of equipment and luxury. Most rental companies have the Grand Caravan Sport model with the base package which do not come with many of the luxuries and features found in the Honda Odyssey EX and Grand Caravan EX, ES and Town & Country models. I encourage you to goto your local Chrysler dealership and sit inside a new Town & Country LXi or Limited and then tell me what you think about the quality and refinement of the interior and exterior compared to your Odyssey.

As for longevity, im sure the Honda interior, while spartan compared to that of the Town & Country, would hold up better over the course of 5 or more years.

But your right about one thing, DC minivans do look really nice on the outside...
  • lss1lss1 Member Posts: 21
    recently purchased ody. first "foreign" car. can't go wrong with either one. virtually every review gives slight edge to ody. does that make DC bad--please. everybody grow up. as far as quality there is no question that american cars have improved greatly and that perception lags behind reality. obviously there are a lot of happy dc owners--not everyone has a tranny blow at 30,000, and the vast majority don't. but, taken as a whole, for long term quality there is simpy no question that in general honda, toyota, and nissan have set a world standard that both the americans and europeans lag behind. the bar keeps getting raised.
    finally, a reasonable Honda owner that I agree with...
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Odyssey most power and magic seat. Chyrsler most attractive and many nice feature. Kia Sedona too small, burn too much fuel, not as much power as Odyssey or Chrysler. Read Sienna now have sludge problem.
    OK, I'll concede that we probably like what we're used to--in other words, I'll bet there are DC owners who would be annoyed driving an Odyssey with a turn signal that isn't more noticable. The fact that I'm so used to my vehicle affects my opinions of different ones.

(Just sitting in and driving my parents Sienna, I like very little about that vehicle...somehow, I didn't dislike it _that much_ when I was shopping around.)

I'll bet that the levels above rental quality are better, yes. But I can't believe that the middle and rear seats that seemed so difficult to move forward and backward are improved. For me, that is!
    garcia2ko, I'm glad you at leat made an attempt too see where I was comming from with the "annoying" turn signals on DC minivans. I too will admit that I would probably be less than impressed if I were to drive a Honda Odyssey after driving more than 30k miles in two Chrysler vans over two years. The seats being hard to move back and forth seems like a much more legitimate complaint than annoying turn signals.

Just today I visited a local Dodge dealership and sat inside a new 2002 Grand Caravan ES among other cars and I would love to have one of those. I can honestly say it is an attractive minivan (oxymoron? I guess not!). The cab-forward design, honey comb grille, and 17 inch chome wheels really make it look sporty and almost sleek. Too bad the one I looked at with power everything and the 3.8 engine cost 37k dolars... :(

Lastly, I agree with what you said about liking very little about the Sienna. Besides it's horrid looks and small size, the interior is not nearly as ergonomically sound as that of the DC and Honda vans. An example is that the radio and air controls are practically on the floor of the van!
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Odyssey and Chrysler nicest minivans. Odyssey LX has same engine, same ride, same room for passenger and luggage, as Odyssey EX-Nav-RES for $6000 less. Chrysler EL same room passenger and luggage, same ride as Chrysler Limited for $8000 less. Why Chrysler put smaller engine in lower cost minivan? Large engine get same economy, probably last longer and cost not much more than smaller engine.
    Don't think extra gadgets worth thousands of dollars more.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    The sticker may be $37,000, but in my area, they are readily available for $30,900 ($36,820 T&C Limited) Then the gap between the Honda and Chrysler is much less. Anyone who pays sticker for a Chrysler is nuts.
  • tj_610tj_610 Member Posts: 132
    I've posted this before buying our Ody, but it was a while ago. 4aodge, I agree, the DC vans look very nice. Particularly, I think the T&C is the best-looking minivan, hands down. My wife, she actually thinks the Ody is more distinctive. Probably due to #'s -- although Ody very popular around here, there's more DC vans. Another "looks" factor -- more and better color options on DC vans. Ody's look alike to me, since vast majority are silver, white, or that terrible gray/green/dishwater/changes-every-year-but-name's-the-same color.
    Interior-wise, same thing. Our Ody is very functional, but when I sat inside a T&C Limited, I felt downright pampered.

dave210, give us Ody owner's a break! Doesn't everyone pay MSRP for their minivan? LOL
    Honda has it's saftey problems, too. Eight recalls on sliding doors coming open. See Center for Auto Safety: http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/HONDA.htm
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    Honda has it's saftey problems, too. Eight recalls on sliding doors coming open. See Center for Auto Safety: http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/HONDA.htm"

Recalls, or Technical Service Bulletins?

Incidentally, Chrysler minivans have their own page, here:

http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/CHRYSLER-MINIVAN.htm

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Are you sure they're recalls? Better read it again as it is just possible that they are service bulletins. Only recalls come from the great DC. Honda builds better products than that. When they do make a mistake they take care of it, and don't need Uncle Sam to spend my hard earned money hounding them or suing them to fix it. But at least their padded armrest hasn't been recalled......yet. If it was you can count on them not fixing it until the gov. steps in.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I think we have heard enough of your padded armrest crap dmathews3
    Talk to the DC people about the padded armrests. I've heard enough of it and the great radios,and other 10 cent items that they have to try and use to to justify why they bought them since they can't match the quality, saftety, resale, or the magic seat of the Honda. Since this is about Odyssey vs DC vans I feel I have the right to throw out those opinions, even if you don't like them. I don't like a lot of the opinions of the DC people but I don't tell them they can't post them. Since my handle is at the top of each of my posts, just look past them, the same as I do. This is America and we still have the right to say what we want, and I hope we never lose that right. If anybody has done wrong it may be YOU with your choice of words. That C word may be a no-no here.
    Don't you just love loud rock music? I know I do. That alone justifies buying a DC minivan with the Inifnity 10 Acoustic sound system w/CD changer over the Honda Snobyssey in my book!
    As long as dmathews continues to make smart comments and remarks about DC minivans, I'll feel free to do the same about the Honda.

The padded armrests, while useless to some, are very symbolic of Chryslers minivans versus those of Honda. Chrysler vans are more comfortable, offer more convienent features, and look much better than the Honda. The fact that even the basic Chrysler van has padded armrests says something about the level of comfort which is included in all of their models. Just sit inside a 2002 Town & Country Limited to see what I'm saying. You get a level of comfort and luxury in Chrysler vans that you certainly won't get in a Honda. Not to mention the fun to drive factor.

I just talked with a guy today who owned a green 1999 Honda Odyssey EX at the local gas station. We talked for a little bit about each others rides and what we liked and disliked about them both. He said he had 40k miles on his Odyssey and hasn't experienced any problems. Overall, he seemed very happy with his purchase and said he wouldn't hesitate to look into buying a newer 2002 model if he ever wanted a new van.
    You are welcome to make any remarks you want. You don't see me telling you this is enough of this c***. I don't resent the remarks as much as I resent someone telling me what to do. We still have free speech. As far as loud rock music it's your ears. If your hearing is like mine you wouldn't worry about the quality of the radio. To me I doubt your radio sounds any better than mine. Of course our Caddy STS had a bose in it and I'm sure was even better than whats in your van but it doesn't sound any better than any other radio. But keep going with the loud rock music and you will one day know where I'm coming from.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Enough (there's that word again). Let's let some other owners and wannabe owners have a chance to play.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    The Infinity Acoustic 10 sound system in my van doesn't sound any better than the cheap "1950s era" sound system in your Honda? Give me a break!
    What I said is with my hearing I doubt it sounds any different. Keep your rock music cranked up to the max and in a few years you will understand what I just said.
    I suppose there's a difference between recalls initiated by the manufacturer and recalls ordered by the feds but what's the difference: point is there's a defect.
    TSBs are not recalls at all, because in most cases they don't affect many vehicles and are not safety hazards. They are guidelines made by the manufacturer to troubleshoot problems.

Check out http://www.alldata.com . Many vehicles, even newer ones, have dozens of TSBs. The 2002 T&C has 16 ( http://www.alldata.com/TSB/13/021309EP.html ). Perhaps current owners can comment if they have had 16 recalls on their 2002, or even experienced all 16 'defects'.

It only takes a small number of injury reports to start an NHTSA investigation, which, if verified, will result in a recall, especially for safety issues.

Incidentally, the 1999 Odyssey DID have an NHTSA safety recall for the door latches, and also one for power door related latch issues. This affected about 20,000 vehicles. About 7000 early MY 2000 Odysseys also had a door latch recall. 77,000 MY 1999-2000 Odysseys were also recalled for a faulty wire harness which could result in a blown fuse and loss of power for various systems. 31,000 MY 1999 Odysseys were also recalled for a throttle body that stuck open in extremely cold, wet weather due to ice formation. Another 79,000 MY 1999-2000 Odysseys had a dimmer failure for the instrument panel. Finally, 65 MY 2000 Odysseys were recalled for missing welds that could affect crash protection. There are no current recalls of any kind for 2001 or 2002 Odysseys.

For fairness of comparison, the 1999 T&C had an equally serious recall for front seatbelt retractors that did not comply with standards and would not adequately protect passengers in a crash. It affected 162,000 Chrysler vehicles including T&C. There was also a recall for over 1 million 1995-2000 minivans for a potential fuel leak issue relating to o-ring failure. About 100,000 MY 2001 Chrysler minivans did have a door latch failure issue as well, but only in models not equipped with remote keyless entry. A second recall for 2001 involved 42,000 units for a possible lower control arm bolt failure that could result in loss of vehicle control. There is one current recall for 2002 models, but it only involves owners manuals which did not comply with federal standards regarding LATCH and tether locations. Granted, that's not a physical vehicle defect, though I can attest to the frustration many parents have because their owner's manuals provide incomplete information on carseat installation.

TSBs don't address safety problems?? Try telling that to a soccer mom whose minivan suddenly died on I-95.
    I chose my words correctly. I said:

"TSBs are not recalls at all, because in most cases they don't affect many vehicles and are not safety hazards"

The ones that are serious safety issues affecting many vehicles and causing actual injuries are usually recalled by manufacturer and/or government.

Again, just skim through alldata.com and see how many of the TSBs are related to serious safety hazards. Or just look at the link I provided to TSBs on the 2002 T&C. How many of those do you think are serious safety issues that should result in a recall?
    Both of these vans have features that appeal to their owners/buyers. Here's what matters to me:

1. Magic seat. Had a 72 CJ5 and a 77 Bronco, each with a fairly lightweight, removable seat. Took it out just often enough that it was a pain. Many people don't care, but it makes things a lot easier just flipping the darned thing down.
    2. Automatic sliding doors. It's one step ahead when unloading or loading kids. But, I can imagine why it's a waste to others. I like it.
    3. Powerful engine. What stopped me from buying an MPV.

What doesn't matter:
    1. TCS. Would rather have all wheel drive (but not the drain on gas), since TCS works only <18 mph. Not enough opportunities for me to need the TCS.
    2. Ability to haul flat sheets of plywood. I have no doubt that many people out there need to do this, but not me.
    3. Trip-related electronics or other fanciness. Don't drive enough for this expense. A few thousand miles a year, if lucky. I've got the latest handheld and other gadgets, but only because I use them.

A huge factor was the reliability issue. Chose the Honda after owning a Civic for many years and no problems, plus checked CR (I know, lots of people don't trust them) stats. I still have too many questions about DC products, although there are many satisfied buyers out there.
    The TSBs have to be reported to NHTSA and there is a likelihood that some will be safety related although I'm sure you are correct that most won't be. Nevertheless, consumers should be aware of ones that are and ask NHTSA to order a recall. Prior to the requirement that they be reported consumers could not find out about problem components. Example, fasteners on rear liftgate could fail: liftgate dropped on soccer mom's head could cause serious injury. There was a TSB for that on my GC.
    Yes dmathews3, I should've used another word.

"To me I doubt your radio sounds any better than mine. Of course our Caddy STS had a bose in it and I'm sure was even better than whats in your van but it doesn't sound any better than any other radio."

Of course you are not going to hear anything better from your Caddy's Bose system than your Honda's. Bose doesn't make good car audio system, their home audio is ok (good in high to med range but weak at the low). A good audio system doesn't need to be loud, in fact, a good system should be able to reproduce all the details in any volume setting. Go sit inside a DC van with the Infinity system installed and you will find out what you have be missing...and no you don't have to drive the van because we all knew you think the van will blow up anytime.
  • sweingastsweingast Member Posts: 28
    The Town and Country and the Ody are the best full length mini vans out there (Sorry Ford & GM). Toyota, Mazda and Kia are 4/5 scale and don't fit my size needs. I have spent too many hours at a half dozen dealers and on the net to prove this to myself. I actually knew this earlier on but I spent too much time confirming the obvious.

Neither van is perfect or the best. Too bad Honda didn't buy Chrysler, then we would have the best of both worlds. The best minivan would have:

Interior styling of the T&C
    Honda's engine
    Crash test of the Honda
    Power rear doors and hatch by Chrysler
    T&C's sound system & sound insulation
    T&C's driver's seat
    Honda's middle seats
    Honda's magic seat which splits ala T&C

I would not take anyone else's features other than Mazda's sunroof and the Sienna's transmission. Chrysler's newly improved transmission is only at par with Honda's mediocre transmission. As to general quality, Honda is notably better than D/C, but the Ody is not upto the Civic and Accord standards.

As to exterior styling, IT'S A MINIVAN.
    They aren't nuts, just have different opinions.

btw, if you compose in Notepad, you won't have all the garbage Microsoft SmartQuotes characters that get pasted in (or just turn off SmartQuotes in Word).

Steve
    Host
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I know exactly what you mean.

As for audio systems, the DC Infinity System is much better than the Odyssey. No question. It is one of the things I miss most in my Odyssey. As an aside, I rented a Cadillac recently. It had a sound system that was better than the Infinity. I was really impressed with it.
  • calgcalg Member Posts: 53
    On the Chrysler 7yr/100,000 powertrain commercials, they call it a powertrain "pledge". Is there any difference between a pledge and a warranty? Have any new Chrysler owners read the small print on their pledge? Does it read like a warranty? Any deductables? I'm not being confrontational... just curious.
    Just went through all the new posts since my last visit. My latest 2 cents...

sweingast, you have just designed the perfect minivan! Call Toyota before the '03 Sienna is finalized, they need you. Only one disagreement. I test drove the Sienna, and think the Ody 5-spd tranny is better. But I am used to Hondas, so that might be personal (like anything on this board isn't LOL).

Regarding stereos -- our van replaced my wife's Maxima with a Bose system. $$$ to replace one of those amplified speakers. Very UNIMPRESSED with overall quality. Highs and lows all muted. My '88 Civic sounds way better, with less than $400 invested in Kenwood CD and 4 Kenwood speakers. 4aodge, I agree w/lots of your posts, but not about Ody stereo. While I agree the T&C is better, I too like loud rock (and country and classical), and the Ody stereo is fine. It's no Mark Levison, but it gets the job done. I'm sure the optional subwoofer would be even better.
    I've never even heard the sound from a Honda Odyssey before so I've made my past comments about the audio system based upon what I've heard other Ody owners here on the boards say about it. My cousin and her family have a 1999 Odyssey LX which they seem to like but whenever I drive my uncle around in our Town & Country with the Infinity 10 Acoustic system he always comments on how good the sound is.

I like the Infinity system alot but it is far from being the best stock system out there. It gives really good bass and the sound quality is very clear although a little more power at high volume would be appreciated. Overall it is a great system and is well worth the 700 bucks you pay to get it. Edmunds even rated it over the Sienna with the JBL system in their 2001 minivan test.
    In my experience, you can almost always do better getting the stock system in any vehicle, and upgrading yourself with aftermarket components. But $700 for a 10-speaker Infinity system seems pretty good.
    Like a lot of new cars, DC van's headunit is custom made to match the rest of the panel. Aftermarket system will not fit in it...I am glad they used the Infinity system. One good thing about Honda's stereo system is you can replace them with aftermarket stuff. However, if the placement of the speakers opening in the car are bad to start with. Those good speakers can only help so much. It is true that there aren't many good aftermarket systems will cost as little as $700 and sound as good as the one in DC van
    That's interesting, I've never heard of a car that there was no aftermarket stereo that would fit. Granted, installation and mounting difficulty may vary, and thus cost too if done by someone else. I've always ordered things from Crutchfield, they are great if you want to find what will fit, get free installation instructions custom to your car, and don't mind doing it yourself. They also have custom bass speaker enclosures for many trucks, SUV's and vans that replace normal paneling and are thus "invisible".

You are very right about speaker placement, but especially for tweeters. Midrange less so, and bass can be placed anywhere. Good news with tweeters is they are small and a custom installer can usually "squeeze them in" somewhere. That's if you can stomach someone, er, "modifying" your dash or door panel. That was an easy decision in my old Pontiac wagon in college, not so easy with the wife's brand new '02 EX-L. ;-)

So, overall, you are probably right, tomtomtom -- just pay the $700 and be done! LOL. I agree that with such a large, multi-speakered vehicle, this is the easy option, and in this case a quality one. Despite everything I just said, if the Ody had such an upgrade, I probably would have just taken it, too. Now, for my future new truck, that's another story.....
    oh yes, you could always put something in the dash however, it might not look as it belongs. Actually, if you look at Crutchfield's catalog and you will find they don't have any headunits for 2001 DC's Van with Infinity systems. I think Crutchfield is a good place to get the information but I wouldn't buy any headunits from them because of their price are MSRP. If you want I can tell you a very good internet retailer where you can get great stuff for much less.

I agree, it is much easier to install stuff in your own car. Otherwise, the wife would ask why you put that round/dome things on the door panel and why there is a big black tube in the trunk.
    LOL

The box in the back of my old wagon was so big, I couldn't even get the spare tire out. Shows you where my priorities were in college.

I'll take that internet retailer, just post the link. Thanks, tomtomtom!
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    1999 GC Sport with 29N

30K summary

Miles Covered: 29,913
    Running Cost : $2,767.49
    Running Cost per mile: 9.25 cents

Gas consumed: 1,460 Gallons
    Cost of Gas: $2,030.57
    Average Economy: 20.5 MPG
    Best: 28.1 MPG
    Worst: 13.4 MPG

Maintenance Cost: $736.92
    Maintenance Cost per mile: 2.1 cents

Gas Cost: $2030.57
    Gas Cost per mile: 6.8 cents

Miscellaneous costs: 0.35 cents per mile

(Still working on Total Cost of Ownership with depreciation and insurance)
    Spent way to much time looking at these two vehicles. I also looked and the others but they were in a different class as to size and/or sophistication.

I was trying to figure what I liked and disliked about these vehicles in terms non-minivan owners might understand. BMW fun to drive with all the toys, expensive and may need the attention of a good mechanic. Volvo nice, equipped with the things you need, always a little safer.

Town&Country "The ultimate driver's minivan" Sounds kinda funny about a minivan, but this vehicle is almost fun to drive. It is only one that could put a grin on your face pulling out from a stop or going around a turn.

Honda "Built like a rock and looks like one too" or to quote a Dudly Moore movie "Vovlo we maybe boxy, but we are safe" This vehicle is as plain and utiltarian as they come. But then again, ITS A MINIVAN ... what do you expect. Why does one need all that luxury stuff is a kid mobile?

Both BMW's and Volvo's are great cars. They appeal to different types of buyers.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Interesting analysis.

My wife and I drive a BMW 328i (to become a 530i in a couple of weeks) and a Dodge Caravan (soon to become a T&C).

For our needs, wants, desires and tastes, we would not even consider a competitive Volvo, nor would we consider the Odyssey, and for almost exactly the reasons that you list above.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tcoultharttcoulthart Member Posts: 17
    For our family it came down to peace and comfort, that is peace of mind.

We have owned a 1989 Accord (196k)for 13 years and a 94 Plmouth Voyager (140k)for 7 years, before buying and ODY last September.

All service for the Accord has been done by the local Honda dealership. They have a far more convenient service department, better hours, free cab ride to work,(not one van for everybody to ride in like the Plymouth shop) and more responsive staff.

After 190K miles the alternator went out on the Accord on a Saturday morning, the Honda dealership replaced it that day by 3p.m. even though he thought they couldn't get to it till Monday. They patch tires for free, install light bulbs for free.

Also as far as peace of mind, the Honda didn't have the transmission go out at 60k like the Voyager, a warranted repair, but still, no free loaner during the 4 day repair; along with several other annoying $200 service bills, during one stretch is one every five months.

One more note about the Honda, we love the hidden third seat and overall comfort. We just completed a trip south last week and everyone was safe and comfortable.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Have you graduated high school yet?

I can't believe that the same people are posting the same things nearly a year later. This may be the most acrimony laden board around outside of a Toyota full sized pickup owner trying to have a constructive post on the pickup boards.

Subaru boards are the best. I don't think I've seen a single flame there.

Thank you new posters for actual comparisons of pros and cons of these two vans.

Still enjoying the Odyssey.
    I am trying to get true comparisons, not a flame war. On the Minivan Shopping thread I found the following post:

#51 of 54 by pat84 Apr 05, 2002 (06:09 am)
    I owned a 96 Grand Caravan, drive a 99 Odyssey, and have rented several Standard length DC's and 1 Windstar. The Windstar had 7 miles on it when I drove it off the rental lot. Each van has its own advantages and disadvantages. If you want the maximum in creature comforts and good tight handling more like a sports car, buy a DC product. If you want the most room for a tall driver get the Windstar. Unfortunately it has the sloppiest handling of the three. If you want handling and a ride that is more like a smooth riding car, get the Odyssey. Compared to the DC vans the Odyssey is a little boring. I have had no problems with my Odyssey in 55 K miles.
    I have never driven the MPV, or Quest, Sienna or Sedona.
    Anyone interested in buying a minivan should first decide on the
    size. If one can live with the shorter versions, there are more selections. I would recommend that potential buyer test drive any vans that seem to meet the requirements. Do not expect to find an Odyssey to test drive.
    One last piece of advice. If you only looked at the problems sections at Edmund's you would never drive anything. There are dissatisfied customers for every van out there.

I purposely waited a week to start this line. Pat 84 gave a fair assessment of the Grand Caravan while owning a Honda. Starting a post "Have you graduated high school yet?" does not help in the creation of "constructive" posts.

By the way, I graduated high school 17 years ago, have a '97 Subaru Legacy Outback and have been trying to find out if I could add an aftermarket sunroof with the Outback's curved roof.
    4adodge is a younger Town Hall member who likes vans, but I haven't seen him post in the last week or two. I think odd1 was just asking after him, not trying to irritate you.

Steve
    Host
    I did many, many years ago, but I sure wish I could go back to those years of yesterdays without any worries, and know what I know now.
    I'm currently a junior in high school and just turned seventeen on the 29th of March. I've been on vacation for the last week and a half which is mainly why I haven't been posting more. My family has always used either minivans or station wagons as our mode of transportation so I can appreciate their large cargo space and comfort.

Our Town & Country is quite fun to drive, especially for a minivan. The reviewers at edmunds.com seem to agree and I think the driving experience is one reason DC minivans sell so well. It's not like driving an appliance or just a big box as in the case of other minivans. Our van currently has 40k trouble-free miles.

I was glad edmunds finally had something good to say about their long-term Grand Caravan ES which is proving to be a fairly reliable machine. A long-term road test of the Grand Caravan ES in MotorTrend magazine also gives the van good marks, especially for comfort and convienence features.

Afterall, it says something about a Town & Country when a seventeen year old and his friends don't mind being seen in it...
This discussion has been closed.