Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• Options
    larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    We need a family size vehicle for 5. Our minivan only averages 16 MPG in daily combined city/hwy use. A SUV is likely even worse for average mileage with a lot of city driving for kids.

In contrast, my Taurus X is getting over 20 MPG in daily use. Commuting to work with 70% highway, I average 23-25 MPG for the whole week with the Taurus X, depending on how much city driving I do on errands. That mileage is just fine for such a useful vehicle, and way better than the alternatives for the same capability - a minivan or SUV.

Still, it will be nice when Ford EcoBoost comes out, and mileage increases 20-25%, in my case up to 25-30 MPG overall average in daily use for the large vehice. Some people will then be upset if they'd bought a cramped and less useful compact car to get better mileage, providing for a insignificant extra savings at that point.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Looks like the Flex's controversial love/hate style is more hate than love for most folks.

You're forgetting that the Flex has been a slow release to dealers and is only now starting to trickle into some in smaller markets. Also, the ad campaign does not start until late this month or sometime in September. Sales were low for July but they weren't easy to find unless you wanted one of the first copies built which around here were 99% Limited models with just about every option.

I'm not saying the Flex will be a runaway success. But you do have to take the lack of inventory into consideration when judging first month sales. I'd wait until the ads hit the airwaves before measuring full month sales because dealer inventories are sure to be up to par by that time.
  • Options
    coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Replying to volkov and baggs32 above, I've noticed some really flashy ads for the Flex on TV in the U.S.A. for about a month now. (Yes, we're the country that has Michael Phelps, not bragging or anything.) ;) The web videos for the Ford Flex are similar in some ways to the TV segments. They are at ...Click here and then click on "Watch Videos" on the website...
    I have an '05 Freestyle, and I laugh when I think of the low-key, barely there, mellow, boring ads Ford did for the Freestyle/TaurusX, while the Edge and Flex get star treatment.
  • Options
    Replying to bdyment at #7393 above, the Flex gets about the same good MPG as the TaurusX at 17/24 MPG city/hiway. For people who "need" a big vehicle, which is a respectable market share, the Flex is about as efficient as you can get and still hold 7 people. The Acadia/Outlook/Traverse/Enclave clones also do well. Its true that some of the marketplace is downsizing to cars, though. The TaurusX is also an efficient MPG choice for a big vehicle. My Freestyle does even better in MPG than the current TaurusX, so those choices are good. However, I'm a little jealous of people (who don't need the room and are willing to give up the safety of a bigger vehicle) riding around in an '09 Sonata which is big enough for many, getting 32 MPG EPA hiway rating with an automatic transmission and a reasonalbe 4-cylinder engine. Not bad there.

About the "promise" of Eco-boost: I don't see how you can get 20% greater efficiency out of the Ecoboost concept. The current Mazda CX-7 uses an engine that is very, very similar to Ecoboost right now (smaller 4-cylinder, direct injection, turbo) and it gets terrible MPG!!! If the CX-7 engine was maybe at 1.9L instead of the present 2.3L, you might be able to get about 10% greater MPG, which is about the displacement that Ford will do for Ecoboost in a vehicle that size. But not 20%.
  • Options
    I've noticed some really flashy ads for the Flex on TV in the U.S.A. for about a month now.

There are some airing and I've even seen a billboard or two for the Flex. However, they have not released a full-on media blitz yet. Wait 2 or 3 weeks and you'll be sick of seeing them. ;)
  • Options
    The current Mazda CX-7 uses an engine that is very, very similar to Ecoboost right now (smaller 4-cylinder, direct injection, turbo) and it gets terrible MPG!!!

True about the CX-7 FE. Same goes for the Acura RDX, similar engine, terrible FE. However there is one big difference in the EB engines. They have 2 turbos, not one, and they don't work in a traditional TT fashion from what I've gathered. This seems to be something brand new.

Here's a video describing the technology. I still haven't seen a good description of how it will save so much fuel, but this is about as good as I've seen so far.
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Granted I don't watch much TV, but all the network TV I watch is US feed so that I can get HD. Usually I pick up the Detroit stations so as to time shift (I'm Pacific) - lets us watch our primetime programmes while dinner is cooking or as after dinner viewing. I still haven't seen a Flex ad.
  • Options
    True about the CX-7 FE. Same goes for the Acura RDX, similar engine, terrible FE

One has to wonder if those two aren't cases of too small an engine trying to push a heavy vehicle and then making it worse by using gearing to improve performance, not FE. The Mazda5 might be guilty of that too.
  • Options
    replying to volkov's: "...those two aren't cases of too small an engine trying to push a heavy vehicle ..."

Actually the Ecoboost concept would put an even smaller 4-banger in there than the CX-7's 2.3L. Maybe a 1.9L, and a twin turbo, and of course with direct injection as is now.

There was one very funny piece of news in this week's print Automotive News magazine: Anti-Ecoboost here all the way! Mazda is reporting they are getting so many complaints about the CX-7 MPG from owners and potential buyers that they now say they will drop the turbocharger so they can raise the nominal compression ratio in the engine, thereby increasing its fuel efficiency! (The Freestyle has a 10.1 compression ratio, high enough for good fuel efficiency, while the current boosted Ecoboost-like CX-7 has a 9.5 ratio because the turbos are present.) Get rid of the turbos, and you can raise the compression ratio to get better MPG, as Mazda will now do. I wonder if Ecoboost will somehow manage to keep the compression ratio high while adding the twin turbos, avoiding knock (detonation) all the while using some trick. I don't see how, at least not without going to something like GM's HCCI diesel-like combustion cycles; not likely.

Thats why I just don't understand the whole Ecoboost strategy, since simply by raising the compression ratio a bit, and adding direct injection, into the current Freestyle 3.0L or TaurusX 3.5L V6s which are low-friction, aluminum block lightweight, harmonically balanced 60 degree bank angle V6s for smoothness, you get get a gain of about 15% MPG right there, sans turbo.

Does anyone know if the Taurus and TaurusX will survive to see Ecoboost (small direct injected 4-cylinder with twin turbos, maybe 1.9L or so)? If so, then I'll be comparing the MPG to my '05 Freestyle, and possibly equaling Ecoboost MPG, all with the current 203 ft-lbs and 204 hp I have now.
  • Options
    brian_in_mdbrian_in_md Member Posts: 8
    With the Flex now available, I don't see any reason for Ford to keep the Taurus X in the lineup; in fact, the Flex outsold the Taurus X in July by about 200 units. So I don't think the Taurus X will live long enough to see the EcoBoost engines.

FWIW, I just took my new Taurus X on a 200 mile round trip, mostly highway with a lot of long hills, and averaged 28mpg (at least according to the trip computer). That was the true trip average; for about a 30 mile stretch, the trip computer displayed an eye-opening 33mpg - this was with the A/C on, two adults + two kids, and the cruise set at ~68mph.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the Taurus and TaurusX will survive to see Ecoboost (small direct injected 4-cylinder with twin turbos, maybe 1.9L or so)?

I've seen a couple of articles which came out within the past week stating that you will not. Nothing is official yet, but it seems the TX and the Mercury Sable are getting the axe after the 2009 MY.

If they do survive another year and do get the EB I4 it would most likely be the 2.5L version (not the 1.9L version if that even exists because I thought it was actually 1.6L) which has been confirmed to make something like 250 HP and 240 ft-lbs. If the FE claims are true it would most likely get the same FE as your 3.0L CVT equipped FS while making a good deal more power.

Keep in mind that Ford's claims are that a 2.5L EB motor will get 20% better FE than a comparably powered V6 and not the NA 2.5L I4.
  • Options
    Remember the current '09 3.0L V6 Duratec gets 240 HP, so the 2.5L Ecoboost has to beat that MPG by 20% (comparable power). They (Ford) are now saying that the 3.0L 240 HP version in the Escape will get better MPG than the old version of the same V6, so Ecoboost will need to pull off a miracle.
  • Options
    They (Ford) are now saying that the 3.0L 240 HP version in the Escape will get better MPG than the old version of the same V6, so Ecoboost will need to pull off a miracle.

The very small bump in FE for the new 3.0L is completely due to the 6-speed tranny in the '09 Escape. I'm betting that engine has worse FE than the 200 HP version but it was saddled with a 4-speed tranny so we can't really make an apples to apples comparo of the 2 versions of the engine unfortunately.

In fact, if you go to fueleconomy.gov they list the 200 HP '08 Escape V6 4WD as doing 17/22 and the '09 240 HP version (with the 6-speed tranny) doing 17/24. So the improvement is only in the highway mileage. Take that 6-speed tranny away from the '09 and I bet you would see numbers more like 15 or 16 city and 21 or 22 highway.

So that means an EB I4 would have to bump the FE up to 20/28 or 29. Seeing that the NA 2.5L I4 in the '09 Escape AWD gets 19/25 I don't see that being unreasonable or a "miracle". The DI alone on the EB engines should get it close to 20/28 I would think.
  • Options
    I agree the 6-speed in the '09 Escape gets the credit for a the MPG boost, as seen in the hiway figure, since the 6-speed gets into higher gears than the old 4-speed.

Actually, using the '09 Escape, since they are putting in the 6-speed in both 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder versions for the '09 model year, is a good evaulation vehicle for just how much efficiency we have now and what gains we hope to have in a couple of years.

Vehicle A: '09 Escape 4-cylinder, 171 hp, 6-speed, 2wd: 20/28 MPG
    Vehicle B: '09 Escape 6-cylinder, 240 hp, 6-speed, 2wd: 18/26 MPG

Ecoboost marketing strategy: For success, an Ecoboost 4-cylinder should equal the power of a 6 cylinder with a gain in MPG over the 6.

We know that adding a turbo to a non-aspirated (NA) engine lowers MPG, lets say by 2 MPG hiway and 1 MPG city, assuming you have to drop the nominal compression ratio down to accomodate the turbo. Therefore, vehicle A becomes 19/26 MPG, almost the same as the V6 version vehicle B. But we're not done with the full Ecoboost treatment yet. Now add direct injection (ala Ecoboost strategy) and raise city and hiway by 1 MPG, as we have seen happen in the transition between '08 and '09 models of the Acadia as they add direct injection in those GM vehicles, the best example we have. Now, with direct injection and a turbo added to the 4 cylinder vehicle A, it becomes 20/27. Then, lets give Ford a little credit for adding a twin turbo arrangement in some sort of scheme to minimize energy losses in the turbo system, and also some credit for finding a way to run the Ecoboost on regular gas while raising the compression ratio just a bit. Therefore, add 1 MPG to the city and hiway for this "techno credit bag of tricks", and you have vehicle A getting 21/27 MPG. And finally, add another 1 MPG by simply adding variable valve timing to both intake and exhaust valves, another part of the Ecoboost strategy, and you arrive at 22/29, at around 230 HP in an Ecoboost 4-cylinder. Compared to the non-Ecoboost 6-cylinder, the Ecoboost 4-cylinder would then get 22/29 and the 6-cylinder is at (vehicle B above) 18/26 MPG, giving an increase of about 20%. I do think 20% is achievable, based on the incremental gains you can get. Much more and you run into compression ratio / octane trouble real fast, some physics walls more akin to HCCI stuff which Ford is not doing. Note that Ford might end up with closer to 10% gains (rather than the lofty 20%) if they can't raise compression ratio with clever engineering.
  • Options
    Good analogy. Their actual claim is that the increase will be UP TO 20% increase in FE over a comparably powered engine with 2 more cylinders. I'm guessing they word it that way because some heavier vehicles, like the Flex for example, just are not going to see 20% gains due to simple physics. I'd bet the cars are what will see closer to 20% gains while the SUV/CUV lineup will be closer to 10% like you said. Then again, maybe the smaller the engine the larger the gains. Therefore the 1.6L (or 1.9L whichever it will be) EB might see 20% gains while the 2.5L and 3.5L engines will see 15% and 10% respectively. Just a theory. ;)

I still say this is a great strategy they came up with. You don't lose your V6 or V8 power and still get the FE of the smaller engine that everyone else is switching to. Take Toyota for example. They just announced that they will make an I4 available in next year's Highlander. Ford can trump them in a big way by putting an EB engine in their comparable CUVs IMO.
  • Options
    Shame the TX won't survive to see the Ecoboost, that powerplant would probably have pushed it over the top as the perfect choice for our needs.
    One might argue that even the mighty Toyota got caught out by the changing gas prices and consumer attitudes. Back in its first generation, the Highlander came with the I4 with the v6 coming on the upper tier models or with the 3rd row. I was very surprised when the new model omitted an I4 option. Maybe the added weight of the new model changed their minds or maybe they had assumed that the public would go for the Rav if they wanted better FE. I'd take a Highlander with an I4. The hybrid had been tempting, but came with a significant price premium although some came back with the gov't rebates available. Our cold weather and driving habits would not have been able to get full advantage of the Hybrid which made us balk. An I4 should be cheaper and get better FE. It would likely be a little slow, but I'd be willing to bet it is still better than our first gen Pathfinder was and fine for our city driving needs.
  • Options
    brian_in_mdbrian_in_md Member Posts: 8
    To volkov: The EB might have been a nice engine option for the TX, indeed. However, our TX is really doing very well in terms of fuel efficiency. We just returned from a 200 mile round trip and averaged 28mpg; the trip computer for a long highway stretch was actually showing 33mpg! With the two adults + two kids, A/C on and cruise set ~68...color me impressed.

As far as a four cylinder Highlander...Toyota heard you:

PRESS RELEASE:

August 14, 2008 - Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., announced today that the 2009 Highlander mid-size sport utility vehicle (SUV) will offer an all-new, powerful yet fuel-efficient 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine. When it arrives at dealerships in mid-to-late January, the new Highlander powerplant will be among the best mid-size SUVs in the areas of performance, fuel economy and value.

The new 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine will generate an impressive 187 horsepower at 5,800 RPM and 186 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,100 RPM on regular 87 octane fuel. A dual exhaust manifold will help achieve exceptional low-end torque and maximize its power output. In addition to its performance output, the Highlander equipped with the new four-cylinder will be EPA-rated as an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEVII) and is expected to be among the leaders in fuel efficiency in the gas mid-size SUV segment. Official EPA fuel efficiency ratings will be announced closer to launch.

The rest of the press release is available on autoblog and Toyota's website.
  • Options
    What makes you say that? Oh, that's right. The several billion dollar factory they built to assemble gas guzzling pickup trucks that didn't sell to begin with. :P
  • Options
    Oh absolutely! Finally came up with a heavy duty consumer truck just in time for there to be noone interested in buying them. While we're on the topic, how's that new Sequoia working out? Oh...sorry. Of course in Canada where they have a "no haggle on the sticker" policy, it will be interesting to see how they get rid of them.
  • Options
    Toyota will still sell Tundras and Sequoias, just not in very high numbers. Still with a profit. Its easy to make a profit off body-on-frame vehicles.

For those saying they think Ecoboost would have been great in the Freestyle/TaurusX, remember you would have to put up with a noisy, thrashy, hot-turbo 4-banger under the hood instead of a smoothe V6. I hope Ford at least uses the advanced denser engine castings for greater durability out of a blown compact high-output 4-cylinder that the Mazda CX-7 (and Mazda3) uses. That would help. It would also be nice if the exhaust valves are sodium-filled like the GM boosted 4-cylinder (Cobalt SS, Sky, Solstice) uses. We'll see what the "wonderfull world of Ecoboost" will do for durability. The crank bearings and turbo bearings on an Ecoboost will go through hell compared to our Freestyle/TaurusX V6, stretching the limits of durability engineering. Ford better mandate the Acura HTO-06 motor oil spec for the new Ecoboost universe. Meeting quality and customer satisfaction goals is going to be tough over the next few years.
  • Options
    remember you would have to put up with a noisy, thrashy, hot-turbo 4-banger under the hood instead of a smoothe V6

So how did you get to drive one? How was the rest of the drive? Did it accelerate well? Was there turbo lag?

Yes, I know you didn't drive one. But you sure made it sound like you did! :P

Toyota will still sell Tundras and Sequoias, just not in very high numbers. Still with a profit. Its easy to make a profit off body-on-frame vehicles.

I think you missed the point. Neither of those sold well to begin with and now it will be even worse for them. They built that new plant expecting to sell tons more of both trucks which shows even the mighty Toyota missed the market collapse to an extent.
  • Options
    saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    There seems to be some misconceptions about turbo charged power plants floating around here that I'd like to comment on. First, let me say that I have been driving turbo charged 4-cyl Saabs for 20 years.

Misconception #1: Turbo charged engines get worse fuel economy than equivalent normally aspirated (n/a) ones. False: For many years Saab produced both turbo charged and n/a versions of the same 2.0l 4-cyl engines. Their cars could be had with either engine. It is well known that the Saab turbo charged cars got BETTER gas mileage. Typically, the n/a ones got about 26mpg highway while the same exact car with the same engine but turbo-charged would get 30mpg. The reason is the turbo recycles exhaust energy that previously was wasted thus increasing efficiency. As long as the boost level is mild to moderate the fuel economy can be enhanced. Where this misconception probably lies is typically most turbo charged vehicles (including the Mazda CX-7) are tuned for ultimate performance. Had Mazda backed off the high levels of boost which also require increased fuel flow, they could have had a 200hp vehicle that got 30mpg on the highway rather than a 225hp vehicle that gets 24mpg. Now that everyone is focusing on fuel economy I trust Ford will do the latter with Ecoboost.

Another misconception is that four cylinder turbo motors are somehow thrashy or not smooth. This also is likely due to most modern turbo charged motors being tuned for performance so there are issues like turbo lag, and then when boost comes on it means the power isn't as linear. This can lead to thinking all turbo motors are this way, but once again if tuned for economy rather than ultimate performance there is no reason a turbo charged motor should be any less smooth than a V6. Plus some people think 4-cyl motors in general are thrashy. This may be the case with a n/a engine since you have to wind it up to get much power, but a turbo charged version offers torque down low in the RPM range so you don't have to wind them up. They are much more sedate.

Lastly, there are accusations that turbo charged motors aren't durable. I beg to differ. My previous turbo charged Saab was a '97 9000 Aero. I sold it with 180,000 miles on it and it still ran like new. It never had a single engine problem. My current turbo charged Saab is an '01 9-5 wagon. It's a baby with only 163,000 miles on it and like the other never has had an engine problem. I fully intend to keep this car well beyond 200,000 miles.

Let's give Ford the benefit of the doubt that they can learn from manufacturers like Saab and pull off an Ecoboost engine that is durable, refined, and highly fuel efficient.

- Chad
  • Options
    Remember too that some of the older Turbo engines which started the bad press were basically N/a engines with a turbo slapped on them for more power. The newer gen turbo engines are engineered as such from the drawing board.
  • Options
    Had Mazda backed off the high levels of boost which also require increased fuel flow, they could have had a 200hp vehicle that got 30mpg on the highway rather than a 225hp vehicle that gets 24mpg. Now that everyone is focusing on fuel economy I trust Ford will do the latter with Ecoboost.

Did you mean the former maybe?

I think you are exactly right. For example, Ford has stated that the 3.5L EB can make up to about 420 HP with similar torque. Since the first vehicles to get it are only going to output 340 HP it seems they are holding back on peak performance in the name of fuel efficiency. Or at least reaching a happy medium anyway.
  • Options
    baggs32 and others writing in this forum do understand that a 4-cylinder is not harmonically balanced via its geometry, right? Some people might not understand that. For example, a V6 has a 60 degree V-angle because that creates a harmonically balanced engine. A 4-banger needs a balance shaft or two, further causing internal engine stresses. Now add a turbo with high compression for good MPG, and you've got an engine to give the NVH engineers problems. Also notice that a 4-cylinder produces fewer power strokes per revolution, further adding to the smoothness problems. Inherent problems. Big obstacles.

About the Saab turbos getting better MPG than the non-aspirated versions, thats just not true. Take a look at the '94 Saab 9000 turbo and non-turbo, and subject them to the same fuel economy tests to control the variables in order to get the emotions and old wives tales out of the picture, and see the turbo gets 26 MPG on the highway and the non-turbo gets 27 MPG. Close, though. Still, for the modest HP gains Saab got in the turbo 4, that 1 MPG loss could have been achieved with a V6 at similar power (like the Freestyle's V6, which gets better MPG in a much heavier vehicle than the Saab 9000).

Also remember with turbos and Ecoboost that you must find a way to keep the compression ratio above 10:1 and have it use regular gas, which is very difficult. Thats why the MazdaCX7 has a compression ratio of 9.5:1, not good for gas mileage, and the Mazda engine still requires premium gas. Turbos also increase exhaust back pressure, further reducing MPG. When all is said and done, the added torque you get from the turbo is more than paid for by high back pressure and low compression ratio, so you don't really get something for nothing.

The solution for Ecoboost is to maintain a high compression ratio through use of VVT and direct injection, with the lower internal engine friction of a 4-cylinder helping, too. I don't see how they are going to do it without using some of MIT's alcohol boosting tricks to make Ecoboost actually deliver 20%+ fuel economy gains. See Alcohol boosting of half-sized turbo direct injection engines for fuel economy..click here
  • Options
    captndpcaptndp Member Posts: 3
    How did you get the phone to pir with the stereo? I have the TX ltd., Nav and dvd but phone will not pair.
  • Options
    snorkelbobbysnorkelbobby Member Posts: 19
    the moon roof water leak ocurrs when you park the car facing uphill when it rains. The 2 rear drains go slightly uphill and that causes water to back up in the moon roof trough and overflow into the car. The drains run all the way back to the rear and route around the side air bags causing the uphill routing. There is a TSB to fix the issue and it was fixed in production in 2006 sometime. If you park facing downhill, the water drains easily down the 2 front drains.
  • Options
    nelsontnelsont Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new owner of the 2007 Freestyle Limited. I'm waiting on delivery of my owner's manual, but I have a question now that I'm hoping some can help me with. The car has a factory installed dvd system that we love having. I'm wondering though if I have to listen to the dvd movies the kids are watching while I want to listen to music? We have the wireless headphones, and they work well, but I cannot figure out a way to listen to the radio or cd while the dvd player is showing a movie? If it's not possible, I understand...just hopeful.

Thanks so much in advance.
  • Options
    On my Taurus X with the DVD, I just hit the Rear Headphone button on the Nav screen, and then set up what media goes to Channel A and B. Channel B can only do the DVD or Aux input jacks.

With the headphones engaged, the sound only comes out of the front speakers so the rear isn't bombarded with sound it doesn't need.

To engage your system, I suggest you read your manual. If it's missing, you can get it from the Ford site. Go to the Myford section using the tab at the upper right.
  • Options
    dgmacdgmac Member Posts: 4
    Hit 2 & 4 buttons on the radio. It will toggle between single and dual mode.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "DEARBORN, Michigan — The Ford Taurus X will be discontinued in February, Ford spokesman Alan Hall confirmed to Inside Line on Thursday."

Ford Pulls the Plug On Taurus X (Inside Line)
  • Options
    TaurusX cancelled. We saw that coming. Ford has the Flex, which is really a bigger, enhanced TaurusX/Freestyle based on the Volvo-derived chassis, and the Edge, slightly smaller and based on the Mazda6-derived chassis. In addition, Ford wants to completely change the Explorer soon to make it a Volvo-derived chassis like the Flex/Freestyle/TaurusX. Who needs the TaurusX with all that going on?
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Does the TaurusX have any 'known' problems?
    For example does it also suffer from the rear brake problem in the 2005/2006 Freestyle?

Thanks.
  • Options
    No problems whatsoever, other than it's not selling well. I've had my T-X for about a year now and it's still working perfect.

The rear brake issue with the Freestyle was fixed about three years ago, even before the conversion to the T-X.

Consumer Reports surveys show the Freestyle/T-X as being well above average for reliabilty in all categories.

I get even better milage than the official number - more like 25-27 MPG if I stay at 65 MPH.

It's a superb vehicle. I still can't believe what a nice crossover I got.
  • Options
    larrygw, I agree, the TaurusX is excellent. I sometimes think its the poster boy for a great American car that people seem to have overlooked (sales). Image problems. In reality, TaurusX performs very well in nearly every category.
  • Options
    I am convinced that the TX is a good car! This car offers very good value and safety.

Its too bad that the TX got a bad start when it was introduced - the marketing and sales positioning suffered from the problems facing Ford.
  • Options
    What marketing? Like the Freestyle before it, the TaurusX had almost zero advertising. What ads there were for the Freestyle were incredibly lame. I look at some of the artistic, cool special effects for other models (and makes) of cars and then compare that with zippo for the Freestyle/TaurusX. People didn't know it existed. I was at an auto show in Denver last April, someone saw a TaurusX, and was heard saying out loud "What is that? Does Ford make that?". Sums it up.
  • Options
    According to a local Ford dealer, the TaurusX is going to face a shortage of spare parts after 3 years. A few of the parts suppliers are on the verge of filing for bankruptcy. The suppliers who will remain in business will be overwhelmed with supporting the various models on the production line.

Discontinued models like the TaurusX will not be high on the list of these suppliers.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "According to a local Ford dealer, the TaurusX is going to face a shortage of spare parts after 3 years. A few of the parts suppliers are on the verge of filing for bankruptcy. The suppliers who will remain in business will be overwhelmed with supporting the various models on the production line.

Discontinued models like the TaurusX will not be high on the list of these suppliers. "

Let's hope not, because the mechanical components used in the T-Rex are the same as the other Ford corporate platforms; same engine and transmission. So I wouldn't worry about major repairs. Maybe some of the smaller components, but I should imagine that if there is a market, some small overseas firm (i.e., China or similar) will step in and produce the parts.

I would be much more concerned about the Freestyle components. The engine has been used for a long time, so there should be no problem there, but that CVT is not common. Uncertainty about the CVT is the main reason I chose to not purchase my FS at the end of its lease.
  • Options
    On another thread, we figured out there are about 350,000 CVT/3.0L_V6 tranny/engine combos out there in Ford500/Freestyle/Montegos out there in the world creating a market and cores.
  • Options
    On another thread, we figured out there are about 350,000 CVT/3.0L_V6 tranny/engine combos out there in Ford500/Freestyle/Montegos out there in the world creating a market and cores.

Ford bought that CVT from another mfr right? If that's the case, what other models from other mfrs was it used in if any?
  • Options
    "Ford bought that CVT from another mfr right? If that's the case, what other models from other mfrs was it used in if any?"

Great question. Ford enlisted the German company ZF to modify the CVTs currently found in some models of MiniCoopers (at BMW dealerships) and Audi's. I don't know of any other applications of ZF's CVT transmission. The Freestyle's ZF-brand CVT (assembled in Ohio, by the way) is not exactly the same CVT found in those other vehicles, but it is similar, although I think our Freestyles use the same internal CVT chain as the Audi. I doubt the other models of ZF-brand CVTs would fit (external housing, bolt pattern, mechatronics).

The only advantage may be that BMW and Audi dealerships might be willing to work on our CVT, since there might be enough similarities. Some internal parts are probably shared between all these ZF family of CVTs. Ford dealerships are still probably our best hope.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about finding someone to work on the CVT. Finding parts would be my concern if anything. Since Ford, Audi, and BMW used similar CVT trannies I'd cross that worry off now. The parts should be plentiful for years to come if needed and don't forget about totalled models sitting in junk yards. Parts can easily be pulled out of them for use in another.
  • Options
    Good point, baggs32. Oddly, I do like junkyard diving. Haven't done it in about 5 years, but there may now be some good Freestyle carcasses (get it? -- 'car'casses) out there to pick some flesh off of. That CVT will be hard to get out of there. Sometimes the junkyard guy will pull the tranny out and hang if from a big hook in his warehouse.
  • Options
    Sometimes the junkyard guy will pull the tranny out and hang if from a big hook in his warehouse.

I hear that's where Rocky goes to punch some 'car'casses now. :shades:
  • Options
    mchappellmchappell Member Posts: 52
    Am considering a used Freestyle. Can somebody confirm when the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty went into effect? According to Edmunds, the '05 and '06 powertrain is 3/36, and only the '07 has the 5/60. Some forum posts seem to imply that the 5/60 might have been on the '05 and/or the '06.

Thanks,

Mark
  • Options
    We leased an '06 Explorer in 02/2006 and bought an '06 Mustang GT in 08/2006. The vehicle had to be purchased after 07/01/2006 IIRC for the new 5/60 warranty to apply. I do know that our Explorer does not qualify and the Mustang did.

There was some sort of deductible for the Mustang since it wasn't an '07 but I don't recall how much it was. I think it was $50. I'm not sure that the warranty was transferrable either so the used FS you are looking at may not carry that 5/60 over.
  • Options
    xtra1xtra1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have a 2008 Taurus X (so far I really like it), actually reading this forum helped me make my informed decision. Anyway, I just got my 15K servicing. The dealer wanted to charge me an extra ~$45 to replace the air filter. I nixed this repair because I think maybe I can do this myself. Can anyone talk me through the process.

TIA
  • Options
    Hi,
    Just curious if Ford really requires a 15K service? Or is the service "recommended" by the dealer? Did you buy new or used?

For the air filter, look in your owners manual. There should be a diagram/explanation as to how change this.
  • Options
    xtra1xtra1 Member Posts: 3
    thanks for your response. the car informed me that it was ready for an oil change when i hit 15k. it's supposed to have the oil changed every 7.5k miles. i bought the car new. i will check my owners manual today for air filter instructions and also to confirm what's expected for scheduled maintenance.