Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

1140141142143144146»

Comments

• coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Air filters are supposed to go for 30,000 miles, not 15,000. If you live in the dusty desert, then 15,000 might be OK, though.
  • xtra1xtra1 Member Posts: 3
    I got an awful shock when I went for a routine oil change and was told I needed to have my rear brakes replaced and all four tires changed. It sounded like a scam from the dealership so I confirmed with a highly respected local mechanic.

According to the Ford Warranty 18,000 miles is the cut off for Ford to voluntarily replace the brakes for free. Is there anything I can do? I am so furious.

In addition, I have experienced 3x the car stopping movement when I'm turning and applying the brakes at a low speed(like 10mph) Then the car starts back up. It seems like an ABS problem. I have experienced it 2x making a left but my husband noticed it 1x making a right. Does anyone else know anything about this? I'm wondering if a problem in the front could cause the excessive wear in the rear.
  • makenasdadmakenasdad Member Posts: 11
    My TX just had all 4 brakes and tires replaced at 27000 miles. It's a company lease so I was not all that worried about it but it was strange. I also had to change out the battery recently. All this is still relatively minor, and I'm happy with the vehicle but I'm starting to worry a bit.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    It would be helpful if you include the model year and trim in such messages.
    Thanks!
  • joes11joes11 Member Posts: 8
    I have an SEL AWD and so far I am getting 13.5 mpg in the city just running errands around town no more than 5 miles away. Is this common?..I though I would be getting at least 15 mpg.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I have an 08 Limited FWD and get 19-20 around town and just got back from a 3,000 mile trip where the average was 25.1 mpg.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    You should bear in mind that the trips you are describing are basically the worse case scenario for fuel consumption. It could only get worse by adding hills and significant cold ( which is my situation ) or altitude.
  • jimhalpertjimhalpert Member Posts: 3
    17 mpg in town with awd.
  • chrisptown1chrisptown1 Member Posts: 41
    on'08 taurus x limited ---i reset tire pressure then went to check the tire pressure OK on the unit---but it did'nt show up--all other messages were there ((oil pressure etc) but no tire pressure/ it was shopwing on the message unit when i checked the pressure a couple of month's ago. vehicle has 5k on it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    several local dealers have some for sale under 20k with less than 40k on them.
    i like my awd fusion, but i think we could still use another wagon.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    ihave an '08 ltd. AWD with 7k on it . The brake pedal always seemed to go down to far when braking. the pedal is very small to begin with , with the distance it travels it puts it (pedal) close to the gas pedal. today i had an indrive way accident when braking my size 12 boot must have hit the gas pedal, causing damage to my front porch. Has anyone notice excessive brake pedal travel on this model.??
  • larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    I have a 2008 Taurus X Ltd. FWD. The brakes on it are very sensitive and only need a very light touch. That may feel like more travel?

When I once drove my wife's Ford Freestar minivan, by comparison I thought the brakes were bad because I needed so much more force. I had the Freestart checked out and everything was good.

It's easy to miss the pedals, especially with a big foot. I'm 11.5 myself. I find that when I brake hard I need to be belted up good with the other foot firmly on the floor, otherwise my weight going forward will slam on the brake too hard.

Sorry about the porch. Could have been worse. You could have had a Toyota family killer gas pedal.
  • carstenbcarstenb Member Posts: 37
    we had a defective brake master cylinder on our 05 FS causing the brake pedal to go down pretty far. i had the same issues with hitting the gas pedal. the cylinder was replaced under the (extended) warranty and it's better with a solid and well defined brake point.

while the engine is running put some pressure on the pedal with your foot and see if the pedal slowly goes down to the floor. and test if the point when the pedal has a firm feel goes up if you pump the pedal (i.e. apply pressure a few times in a row). that's how i realized that something is wrong.
    thanks for your help . i knew i wasn't going crazy. part of the problem for me is we have a '02 buick pa that i also drive. it has 1) more space between gas and brake pedal. 2)pedal is larger. 3) pedal goes travels a little and remains firm.) i am am going to talk to dealer on this. thanks again for your speedy reply.-chrisptown.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Here's the link to the 2010 JD Power's Report on long-term dependability based on 3 year old models:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/2010-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-Results/p- age-3

Under the Midsize Multi Activity Vehicle category the top 3 were Toyota Highlander,
    Toyota 4Runner, and Ford Freestyle
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the JD Powers report showing Freestyle as above average in dependability. That agrees with Consumer Reports surveys for dependability.

I was surprised to see the Freestyle beating the Nissan Murano and the Honda Pilot. I thought Japanese makes were supposed to be more dependable. And I hear Japanese cars never accelerate unexpectedly either. Go figure.
  • mstire1mstire1 Member Posts: 3
    :shades: I just bought a 08 Taurus X, I love it. HOWEVER...when you go over bumps, has anyone else noticed how noisy it is and how rough? Is that something that is standard with this car or (with my luck) is it only mine? Luckily, the Pirellli tires were the first thing the dealer took off the car before I bought it lol. Please help if you can! Thanks!!! (by the way, not sure where that pic of the lovely junker to the left of my post came from...its NOT mine lol!)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you check the tire pressures and compare them against the sticker on the door jamb?

(and the clunker photo just shows up when you are in the Post box).
  • larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2010
    My Taurus X is so quiet that the loudest noise is from the tires. The Pirelli tires are particularly bad. I needed to turn up my stereo so loud it hurts, just to overwhelm the road noise.

So I looked for a very low noise tire when they were replaced last month. I ended up with a Hankook H418 that is a world of difference. MUCH quieter.

Now with the Hankook tires, the car is almost dead silent even at 70 MPH. I used to dread rough roads, but now barely hear anything as I roll over the worst roads.

And the Hankook H418 is one of the lowest priced tires too. The ratings at Consumer Reports aren't the best, but the tires seem to handle great for me, and I care most about their quietness, which is so blissful now.
    I did right when we got home from the dealership. However I am no so sure that the noise IS from the tires, it almost sounds like something in the front end is loose. The noise it makes is almost like a low sounding clunk. It does it in the back too, however I thought this might be if the spare tire in the back isn't bolted down tight enough, but I am not sure now. lol If it ever stops raining long enough for me to get out and take a good look, I might know more.
    Thanks!
    Does anyone know if a remote car starter will work with this car...if so is there a specific brand that is better than others? I live in Wisconsin, gets cold here lol, no garage so I want a starter if one will work. I have read that certain ones will not work if you have certain things in your engine. HOWEVER....I don't know enough about engines to make that determination.

Any info would be extremely helpful!!! :)
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I've been posting here for the past 5 1/2 years, since buying my 2005 Freestyle SE FWD. It's been a great car and after 85,000 miles I've had to put zero dollars into it for repairs. The brakes were changed but I was reimbursed by Ford, a transmission module was replaced under the emissions warranty, and the power steering pump under my extended warranty. My MPG would range in the low 20s depending on driving conditions.

I'm selling it because I no longer need a big car. I bought a used Prius, so I figure I'll save about $1000/year in gas, plus I'd rather sell the Freestyle now while it's running great and my opinion of it is still positive.

Good luck to everyone with their cars.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    I have an 05 Freestyle since new. I have had the clunking noises up front for a long time. Did you ever get yours resolved? I'm going to dealer for the noise and trans fluid change soon. I love the vehicle except the annoying clunking noise. It occurs during acceleration, wheel turning, and over small bumps.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    The following TSB fixed my 2008 Sable. (I have a pdf file which has a diagram, but I don't know how to include it here.)

TSB
    07-26-8 FRONT STRUT NOISE - BUILT BEFORE 10/19/2007

Publication Date: December 21, 2007

FORD: 2008 Taurus X, Taurus
    MERCURY: 2008 Sable

This article supersedes TSB 07-19-3 to update the Service Procedure and production fix date.

ISSUE:
    Some 2008 Taurus, Taurus X and Sable vehicles built on or before 10/19/2007, may exhibit a popping/rubbing/grunting/squeaking or creaking type noise from the front strut mount. Typically, the noise is observed in the front outboard wheel while turning. This noise may be caused by the jounce bumper rubbing against the strut rod, or the dust boot rubbing against the strut mount cup.

ACTION:
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Raise the vehicle as described in Workshop Manual, Section 100-02.
    Reach through the spring and pull the strut dust cover and jounce bumper assembly straight down, out of the strut bearing mount.
    Apply Motorcraft Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound: (Figure 1)
    To the entire length of the chromed strut rod above the jounce bumper and 360° around the rod.
    To the top and sides of the uppermost part of the dust boot.

Figure 1 - Article 07-26-8

Slide the dust cover upward into its original location on the strut.
    Repeat the procedure on the other side of the vehicle.
    Lower the vehicle.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
    XG-3-A Motorcraft® Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound
  • acewon5565acewon5565 Member Posts: 2
    when i am driving my 08 tarraus x displays all warning lights i loose miles to empty when i stop it dose not downshift it takes off like its straining if i shut it off and wait a few mins it starts like it is in gear then shifts hard into reverse then hard in drive i have to drive slow until it starts driving normal has anyone run across this problem?
  • acewon5565acewon5565 Member Posts: 2
    i had a simular issue i found removing the driverside rug mat fixed it it somehow was causing both pedals to press at once
    My Taurus X does the same thing and it has been doing it for at least 40K miles. I've had it looked at by Ford and Goodyear dealers to no avail. Since it almost always self corrects they can never replicate it in the shop.

Just this week I've also been getting a periodic knocking noise coming from the dashboard close to the steering column. Does anyone know what causes this?
  • mda1mda1 Member Posts: 3
    Have you found a solution to this problem? I purchased an 08 TaurusX a couple of months ago, with just over 100,000 miles on it, and have had this problem now twice. The first time my mechanic thought it was a transmission issue but then it was fine the next day (I have not taken it back to him again - yet). The car got great reviews, and I am a big fan of it, but don't want to sink a lot of $$ into it. Any workable advice will be appreciated.
    No, I was never able to get an answer. I''ve since turned it in so it will forever be a mystery
    Did you trade it in at a dealership and did this issue affect what they offered you for it? I am hating that this is an issue after only having this car a few months but would rather trade it in then drop a lot of $$ into attempting to have it fixed.
    Mine was a company car. Turned it in and have no idea about its subsequent value.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Here is another forum thread that might help:
    http://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16355
    If you don't mind my asking, I am curious if your car was a dark red/maroon color and if you live in NC? I have only been able to find a few more comments on this issue and am curious if the car I bought might have been the one you drove (the previous owner was listed as a company).

Thanks.