Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lleroilleroi Member Posts: 112
    My son is looking at a 1999 NUBIRA CDX -cloth seats and no frills.It has 48,000 miles is $2900 a good price?Also any particular problems with the manual transmissions and who makes them?
    I have a 2000 Leganza CDX and have had no problems at 24,000 miles.The dealer I bought the car from no longer does warranty work,but there is a dealer about 30 miles away who does.Also Leganzas on ebay are bringing more then $3000,but to be $14,000 in debt on a 2000 model is rough.
    Pamelaine -find a dealer- get the work done(under warranty)and keep the car until the wheels fall off-which should be quite awhile.
  • bmcclainbmcclain Member Posts: 39
    I recently learned (from jkobty) about the copper washer that must be replaced every time on the drainplug. I didn't know when I changed my Nubira's oil, and it has a very slight leak. I have the washers now (from my dealer) and will change it closer to the oil change time.
    The myth: "But does it really matter since Daewoo itself didn't survive it's crash with the U.S. marketplace." -gee35coupe

The truth: "Daewoo was forced to leave the U.S. market due to the rescue of its bankrupt South Korean parent, Daewoo Motor Co. Last spring, General Motors agreed to pay a fire-sale $251 million for a controlling 42-percent interest in a new, smaller Daewoo vehicle company with a different name. But GM didn't want all of Daewoo, and that included Daewoo Motor America and its dealers. Facing the prospect of having no new goods to sell after 2002, DMA declared bankruptcy last May." -ConsumerGuide

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/20805.htm?AID=1193

Therefore, DMA did not leave the market because of sales or a lack of money.

"If that's the case then there would be more poors in the results."

Not if all of the tests are at 35-40 mph! Therefore, not only is it impossible for any rating in a lower speed crash, it's scientifically proven that in a slower (than the 35-40mph) crash, having a very stiff structure will transfer a lot more energy to the occupant, significantly increasing the likelihood for injuries.

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Daewoo died walking through the door as a result of expanding too quickly and poor management.

And the are NO positive crash test results. Anywhere.

Not even worth debating since they are gone.
    http://www.nhtsa.org/NCAP/Cars/1934.html and that took me less than a minute to find.

It isn't worth letting anyone make up information and pass it off as fact or slander! Regardless of the topic.

"#99 of 109 Thanks jkobty for the help on the supercharger HP. by car99cdx United States of America Dec 14, 2002 (05:28 am) Mark

Thanks alot for the information. I will check the Aussie sights for Holden engine performance adds. Have you seen any conflicting reports regarding the National Highway Safety Administration crash test on the Laganza as POOR. I actually went to the site and reviewed the information. I know the side impact is 4 stars which is good, but he offset 40 MPH is bad. Do you have any insight or information regarding this. I kind of remember seeing in the sales brochure Daewoo talking about a steel safety cage on the car. Thanks"

So once again my post is correct in the context it was intended.

There are no results showing a better result for the Leganza. Just as I intended for it to mean. No one asked about the Nubira.
  • mtrogersmtrogers Member Posts: 3
    Please help me if anyone has any information on a problem I am having with my 2000 Nubira. When I accelerate my front end pulls to the left then as the transmission shifts, the steering pulls the front of the car to the right hard, its getting scary to drive my car because of this sudden movement in the steering. I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they told me it was Torque Steer and that there was nothing that can be done about it. I told them I bought this car new from them and that for the first year there was no problem. They just repeated it was torque steer and blew me off. I have 45,000 miles on it. And have an extended warranty on it for 100,000 mile with WarrantyByNet. This has been going on since May 2002. Now its getting worse. I have had a front end alignment. Any suggestions ?
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    If you floor it every time you go you will have a little torque steer. It will be worse if the vehicle is out of four wheel alignment.

I have no idea who did your alignment, but even my local dealer did not have the proper equipment to do a correct four wheel alignment. A front end alignment is typically not enough any more.

The Nubira and Leganza due to the special tuning in the suspension require proper loads be placed on the four corners. Like many other makes and models.

I would find a quality suspension shop that has the most up to date alignment equipment to get the car in proper alignment first. Also make sure all four tires are properly inflated. Do NOT use aftermarket oversized rims and tires as it will totally throw off the handling of the car. This is not a sports car but a compact nicely equipped a-b transportation device.

Then if you still have it, you may need a transmission flush and fill and a new filter. According to some GM experts, the Cavalier has this problem when the tranny fluid gets neglected. Same tranny as the Cavalier BTW.
  • silvernubirasilvernubira Member Posts: 59
    dkuhajda covered the major causes of torque steer. Since you have 45K miles on your car, you must have a new set of tires on your car. If you don't, I suggest that you rotate your tires and make sure that both front tires have more or less equal amount of tread left with same air pressure in both. Only time I experienced torque steer in my 1988 Accord was when I neglegted to check air pressures in my front tires and the pressures were not equal.
    dkuhajda and silvernubira, thanks for the advise. I had the alignment done at a Firestone shop they claim it was a four wheel alignment. I do have new tires on it and they were recently checked at the same shop. I will have it re checked by an alignment shop. And then I guess I will have the trans. checked also. You said the Trans is the same as the Cavalier. Do you think it would be better to have a GM dealer look at it? I am wondering who would know more about a Daewoo, now that all the Daewoo dealerships are out of business here. I'll let you know how things turn out, thanks.
    I would make sure 100% they used the 150lb loading on all corners of the car when they did the alignment. Most alignments shops are simply not equipped to do a European style alignment.

Then as to the tranny, any good transmission shop will have the filter kit available and be able to flush the fluid and replace the tranny. Many times for much less than any dealer.
  • jsiesjsies Member Posts: 26
    This came off the dealer site a couple days ago. This should answer (somewhat) alot of questions about when Woo will start to recover and improve customer service.

[ As a follow-up to our November 26, 2002 announcement regarding an exclusive parts distribution agreement, administration agreement with the third party administrator that has been appointed by GMDAT to administer a program for Daewoo vehicles, DMA did receive bankruptcy court approval yesterday (January 8, 2003) This interim approval will become final upon confirmation of our reorganization plan, which is scheduled for the second quarter of this year, at which time we will emerge from bankruptcy. As a reorganized entity, (DMA will continue to provide warranty administration for Daewoo owners and dealers long-term.
    Thank you for your ongoing support of Daewoo customers and their parts and service needs!

Daewoo National Parts & Service Division ]
  • car99cdxcar99cdx Member Posts: 7
    I am back on the site and have to tell everyone that the 1999 Laganza CDX is running fantastic. I have been able to locate parts through NAPA and also just checking around. It pays to have a good mechanic for service that knows the cars. A real key is to do a 4 wheel alignment, and balance and rotate the tires every 5000 miles. The Lotus tuned suspension is great on the road. The trans service is easy with no filters to replace. Just drain the fluid, clean the drain plug magnet and fill it back up. I have noticed some discussions on crash worthiness of the car. I actually had the opportunity to take a look at a Leganza that was hit hard in the front at a Daewoo dealership in my area. The car held up good and all the doors opened and the air bags deployed fine. There was no cabin integrity failure. I know what the NHTSA says on there web site. I actually looks like it could hold up OK in some instances. Also running Bosch Platinum plugs and they are running great. Very smooth. Again the key to enjoying the car is the suspension staying in proper alignment. It is a great drivers car if you maintain this. Replaced the sunroof rubber outer liner in 30 minutes. very easy. You can do it without removing the sunroof. Anyone have any good advice on maintaining the Leganza and horsepower gain options. Thanks
    The plug and Play HID kits out there are great. I just had my mechanic hook up a 7000K HID conversion on my 1999 Laganza CDX. I had been running the super white halogen bulbs which had a good light output. But when compared to the HID Xenon lights on my car now it is a hugh difference. If you do it the kit cost around $425.00 and have a good mechanic to do the conversion. (takes about 1 hour to do). I paid my mechanic $49.00 for his time and he did a professional job. Looks 100% factory. I would recommend one of these kits for anyone who is looking to set their car away from the average Leganza, but mainly for the safety of more light for night driving. Good luck.
    Has anyone out there put 17 inch wheels on a Laganza. Was thinking of upgrading the factory 15 inch wheels. Thanks.
  • dclanosdclanos Member Posts: 5
    My '00 Lanos hatchback died around Thanksgiving: battery, exhaust, and water pump. Dealer brags about how he's covering repairs out of his own pocket; but car has now been on the lot for eight+ weeks "awaiting parts." Is this, even allowing for bankruptcy, credible, or... at what point do I (ought've?) order parts via NAPA or Gates myself?
    See my post on the "Where can you get Nubira Parts" discussion board, post #7. I know you have a Lanos, but this dealer has most all Daewoo parts. Besides, you seem like you know the parts are probably available here in the US, (but hesitate because your dealer has your car?) Seems to me he's not really even trying. Probably mad cause he ain't going to pass along the bigger markup if he had OEM parts. GMDAT is now in the plans to or have already started reimbursing dealers for their warranty work. He should be aware of this. There are many recent articles stating just that.
    This opinion from an anonymous poster (I believe a dealer) from another board. Any opinions here on this scenerio?...

"Daewoo will be offered to (soon to close) Oldsmobile dealers"
    * GM, determined to cover all market bases, believes it can win Daewoo-dealer case.
    * Daewoo likely to replace Oldsmobile if Olds dealers want to fill Olds loss gap.
    * That accounts for haste in expediting Daewoo import, since last Oldsmobiles roll in 2005.
    I finally took my 2000 Nubira cdx back to the same dealer that told me I had Torque Steer and that there was nothing they could do about it. By now the steering was so bad that when I insisted that the service manager take a ride with me he drove only a short distance down the road and after a quick trip on the freeway, he had had enough. The car pulled to the left on acceleration and then when the trans shifted or I let off the gas the front steering would shift to the right with a hard jerk. This time they found that both lower control bushings were worn and after they replaced both lower control arm assembles, and re aligned all four wheels the car runs and steers like it was brand new. What a great relief it is to have that FIXED! My car had 46,000 on it so the Daewoo warranty was over. Also I had purchased an extended warranty from WarrantyByNet.com that I bought over the internet. I wasn't sure if this was such a good idea but when the dealer called them they said they would cover the whole $635.00 bill. So far so good! Thanks to all who gave their advice.
  • notjuznotjuz Member Posts: 4
    Just brought my legser SE in for 30k regular maintenance. (Too lazy to bother to do it myself!) No problems at all. It's running great and 2 days later got a ticket for doing 69 on a 55 mph limit on a country road! Bummer!

This is turning out to be boring Owners' Club! Guess owners has nothing to complain about huh?
  • dailydaewoodailydaewoo Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys, I just wanna start off by saying that this car is the best purchase I have ever made. Best deal for the money. I hope they start selling them again, re-badged or not, I would be the first inline to purchase. Anyways, My dome light, map lights, and trunk lights all went out. And the door ajar, and trunk open lights no longer work. Is it a fuse or what? Also WHen my A/C is on, I get a slight grnding/vibration noise when I make slow speed sharp turns. Thanks.
  • all8888all8888 Member Posts: 1
    to dailydaewoo and others

My leganza just developed the same problem. For me, the problem was due to a 10 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood. in particular this fuse controls the instrument panel light and the lighting of the right side of the car.

THIS FUSE KEEP GETTING BLOWN AND THE DEALERSHIP IN TOWN CANNOT locate the fault.

any idea?
  • daewooboydaewooboy Member Posts: 3
    Anyone else having a "misfire" problem?

It's intermitent.....

here's the problem...

When it's "colder" outside its more likely to happen. I start the car up.

It starts fine and Idles fine.

If I leave is sit and idle. no problems.

However, if I start it up first thing in the morning, and pull away, as I'm driving..usually within 1-2 miles or after about 3-5 minutes, the car has a noticable "miss".

The CEL comes on and flashes for about 30 seconds. After a few minutes more, as the car gets to operating temperature, it clears up and runs fine the rest of the day.

Sometimes it will be fine for a few days. And then it will happen again. It happens more frequently in colder temperatures. Since summer hat finally hit the midwest, it hasn't happened in weeks.

I have replaced the plugs. Replaced the Spark plug wires, and ran some injector cleaner through. No help.

I have a code reader, and every time it's the same cose. #2 cylinder misfire.

I suspect it is an injector, or possibly a bad head gasket. I noticed my Coolant level down. I checked for leaks and can't find any. my engine compartment is very clean. I had to ad about 16oz of coolant to bring it back up to where it was.

I'm leaning more twards a head gasket. My hteory is....it an aluminum head. when the aluminum is cool, it is in a contracted state. as the coolant warms, the preasure increases. until the aluminum head warms up enough to "expand" enough, I get a "leak" of coolant into cylinder #2. when the head gets "hot", it expands enough to seal the leak.

Just curious if anyone else has experience a similar problem.

Any help is appreciated

BTW, I took it to the dealer 2x already, they of course say the problem is no longer apparent, reset the computer, and send me home. It is now happening much more frequently, but it's a real pain in the A#$ going back to the dealer and they don't do anything.
  • astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    Sounds like a decent diagnosis. Many head gasket leaks are strictly internal and difficult to diagnose except for the abrupt and/or continual loss of coolant (similar to a water pump problem). 16oz is a fair amount of coolant...when the 'miss' occurs does it hit hard?...especially at a stop sign or light before the engine warms? Does the early exhaust look excessively vaporish and cloudy white? If so, I would certainly invest in a new head gasket before the problem turns into a more expensive proposition.
  • stevenkienzlestevenkienzle Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Lanos is a great, reliable car, so far. I just noticed that the passenger side carpet is constantly wet. It seems like it might be condensation dripping down from the A/C evaporator near the glove compartment. Has anyone else had this problem? I did not have the problem until the weather got warm and humid. The car is garaged and it still has this problem even when it is not driven in the rain. Drying out the carpeting and the pads underneath is a real pain in the ___!
  • jkobtyjkobty Member Posts: 99
    That sounds like the Ac drain hose which basically redirects the condensed water outside of the car and it drains from the bottom front of the car. I just had this problem fixed on my wife's brand new Acura TSX. The hose runs below the dashboard so you could try to locate it yourself.
    BTW, I found out recently that The Isuzu Rodeo truck uses the exact same 2.2L Leganza engine built by Holden in Australia. So any of you guys who need parts for their leganza and live in an area where there are no more Daewoo dealers, check out your local Isuzu dealer. It might be also a wise choice to have your Isuzu tech work on your leganza instead of someone who has had no prior experience with this engine. The 2.2L from Australia remains the base engine of choice for Isuzu Rodeo even for 2003 models.
    For Nubira owners, the Chevy Optra, and Suzuki Forenza soon to arrive later this month in the US is simply a facelifted Nubira with the same exact powertrain. So do not worry about parts for too long. Take your Nubi to GM or Suzuki.
    BTW, the real Nubira exterior is way nicer looking than the face lifted one. However the interior in the new Nubi is much higher quality.
  • rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 16
    Hello I have a 1999 Lanos Hatchback. Only owner, almost 4 years now. Car is running well and in decent shape.

Well the windows are beginning to squeak and I want to WD-40 them.

But I'm not sure about removing the interior door cover. Is it a fairly simple affair with a phillips screwdriver? Has anyone else done this? Or is there a convenient access to lubricate the power window mechanism?

Any help welcome.

Cheers.
    Philips screwdriver just to remove the screws. Then you need the trim removal tool to get right behind the clips to remove the panel without damaging the door panel or the clips. Costs about $9.00 at your better junk tool stores, ask any autosound installer where to buy one.

No do not use WD-40. You probably need to use clear silicone grease on the tracks. Do NOT use any petroleum based product that could come in contact with any plastic or rubber. It will break it down soon and plastic will break and become brittle.

FYI the dielectric grease for spark plug boots is silicone based lubricant grease.
  • asacasac Member Posts: 7
    I can't beleive someone actually used nail polish to fix the peeling paint on their cars door handle. That is truly pathetic.
  • 24601a24601a Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Leganza SX with 54k miles is having problems. From cold, it just doesn't want to start. (When I can get it started, it hot-starts normally.) The starter cranks just fine, even with lights and AC on, but the engine just won't fire. My clueless "local" dealer (the dealer I bought it from and most of the ones in the area closed, leaving me with only this one within a day's drive) told me that the problem was the plugs and wires, and I told them to change them. It took them a month to do it, and cost me almost $400. For PLUGS AND WIRES! (Oh, they also tried to con me into replacing the timing belt they just changed, telling me to "do the 60k service early, but that's another story. Needless to say, between warranty cyl heads that I was told had been shipped from CA "disappearing" and these latest ploys, I don't trust the local dealer) That means, including the timing belt/cyl head problem, they've had my car for a whopping eleven months of the past two years. (I suspect they fouled something up in doing the new cyl head, because it didn't have this problem until they got their paws on it. Since the cyl head, about five months and under 1000 miles have been driven.)

Any idea what the problem could be? I would like to fix it properly so that I can get sell the car in good conscience. I can't sell someone a band-aided car, but I'm definitely not going to keep it, either.

TIA.
  • asacasac Member Posts: 7
    Why not donate the piece of junk to charity. That way you can get rid of it in good conscience and also get a tax write off. The taxes saved will probably be more than what you can sell the car for anyway. Research shows that Daewoo's don't hold their value very well. Also, I highly recommend you not buy anymore Daewoo products, but I'm sure you already came to that conclusion.
  • bigfrogbigfrog Member Posts: 27
    Well daewoo failed what a shock. This is what I here.Daewoo was in with gm. daewoo failed and gm is giveing it to all there customers by makeing them wait for warrenty service. In the mean time thay sold 2 deawoo lines to another friend of theres suzuki. Another fine auto maker.And all of the 2 new suzkies use daewoo parts (the daewoo name is on every part of the 2 new suzkies)Never mind all the other gm/daewoo/suzuki parts that fit there other lines. Stick to the 3 good manufactures TOYOTA NISSAN SUBARU unless you like being mis treated.
    I made a mistake stick to the 4 best Toyota (the newest part of the big three) Nissan Subaru Honda
  • intuintu Member Posts: 1
    hi i own a 99 lanos sx sedan (manual trans) with 76k miles and i've had no major problems until now...the car seems to be jerking and hesitating,especially in the lower gears and especially when the engine is colder...i'm desperately trying to find someplace i can service my car but all the daewoo dealerships in the chicagoland area have closed and every mechanic i go to says that they can't work on my car because they can't get parts for it....for anyone in the chicagoland area who owns a daewoo or is having the same problems i am please let me know where i can go to get my lanos serviced or what i should do about the problem i'm having.
    thank you
    Try a new set of plug and wires. You can do that yourself.
    try a suzuki dealer thay bought a few plat forms or i also here gm dealers are honering there warranty???? good luck
  • notjuznotjuz Member Posts: 4
    Intu- try the Nissan dealer at Grand Ave. in Gurnee. It's going east from 94 before Green Bay Rd. That's where I bought my Leganza and they have complete parts until now. My Daewoo is at 45k and no problem at all. Just regular maintenance.
  • jlewisinsyrjlewisinsyr Member Posts: 1
    My fiance owns a 1999 Daewoo Lanos SX...it's been an alright car, nothing great, but nothing too negative. The only major problem we had was the flex pipe broke on the exhaust. From reading the posts it looks like this is not all that uncommon. But what I think I a lot of people didn't consider is that the flex pipe is interconnected with the catalytic converter. With this in mind the repair is 100% covered under the Federal Emission warranty for 8 years or 84,000 miles. I didn't realize this until I took my car to the local Midas Muffler shop and the honest guys there pointed out the problem and then the interconnect to the catalytic converter and then gave me a warranty brochure on the Federal Emissions warranty. So I called my local Daewoo service center (yes they do exist even if not called by their original name - ours happens to be Sam Dell as they took over the original Daewoo dealership) and made an appointment. Brought it in, and they determined that the flex pipe was the cause and because it was interconnected to the catalytic converter it was 100% covered. They did have to order the part, but they had it 2 days later. Brought the car back in, and they fixed it, again 100% free of charge. I feel bad for everyone that has had to pay for this repair.
  • brettski1brettski1 Member Posts: 12
    I know that in some of the past and distant (and mostly defunct) discussions, you had a line on tune-up and parts for the Leganza that were good on-line sources. Right now, I am looking for a passenger compartment air filter, and as I am approaching the 60K mile mark, I am preparing for the timing belt change. Got any thoughts? Anybody else have decent on-line sourcing?
  • richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    2000 Nubira CDX with 85k on it, no major problems to date. I obtain parts from a local GM truck dealer who carries some stuff in inventory.
  • pomvrpomvr Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks. My wife and I have a 2000 Daewoo Lanos hatchback and just took it in for the 60k maintenance. Here's what we're run into so far:

1) Headlight wiring harness burned out - replaced while under warranty
    2) Thermostat housing split in half - we lost all of our coolant as it spilled out onto the freeway, but fortunately we pulled off right into a service station that agreed to fix it if we could find the part. We live in San Francisco, CA and went up to Fairfield to pick up the part. It was an $80 repair ($20 part + installation). No permanent damage to the engine that we (or the mechanics) can tell. This is apparently a very common problem. I hope Daewoo starts producing an aluminum version of this cheap plastic housing.
    3) Car was hesitating while downshifting to pass/climb - this was apparently due to the fact that our spark plugs were on their last leg. This problem can be temporarily remedied by using higher octane gasoline (we used 91 octane until we could get the car in for the 60k service). We're back to using 87 octane gasoline and no problems yet.
    4) Water pump/Timing belt replaced - this was normal for the 60k maintenance, although Daewoo apparently claims the timing belt will last 100k miles. I specifically requested that the timing belt be replaced at 60k, since that's the normal life span and I didn't want to face disaster if it snapped. The water pump was replaced by recommendation of the dealer.
    5) Temperature gauge not reading properly - we bought a replacement temperature gauge ($36), but haven't installed it yet. The dealer didn't have time to install it and we needed to get our car back, but I'm assuming it can be installed by a local mechanic.

That's all I can think of. It's been a very reliable car given what we paid for it. We've had to do our homework to find a service station, but there are a couple of good dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area that still do repairs and are pretty friendly. Barber Nissan in Fairfield did our 60k maintenance, and they were very helpful.

-Phil
  • jodifjodif Member Posts: 12
    Can anyone recommend good wiper baldes?? I have a 2000 Nubira & I actually think I have a flawed windshield. The wipers miss the whole center of it, which is, of course, my line of vision. Also, my wiper arms (?) are really stiff. Most cars, if you pull the wipers up a little, they snap back. Mine don't. I've tried lubricating them (non-silicone) & it didn't help. Can they be replaced?

jodif
    Hey guys. Just a few insights. For the guys having hesitation problems when the car is cold, you need to do a fuel injection cleaning service.
    It is a good idea to change the spark plugs after that. But usually neither the plugs or wires are the problem, although the dealer might try to convince you of that so you buy the parts.
    regarding the passenger compartment AC filter, it is really pointless to buy a new one. I just clean the old one by soaking it in water and detergent, and then rinsing it thoroughly and leaving it to dry overnight. This is not a mechanical part and has nothing to do except filter dust.
    Regarding parts for your cars, really it is a no brainer now. Just drive by to your local Chevy or Suzuki dealer. The Suzuki swift, AKA Chevy Aveo uses the same exact engine on the Lanos. The Suzuki Forenza, AKA Chevy Optra is simply the 2004 Nubira and it also uses the exact Nubira engine. Enjoy your woos, they do not make them like they used to.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Long time, no postie from you! Do you still completely dig your Leganza? I notice the humble little Aveo is making some decent impressions on some North Americans in it's short little time available so far. I saw a yellow one heading swiftly down I-44 in mid-Missouri the other day, it looked like a large breath of fresh air amongst so many mundane looking Honda's and Toyota's and GM's and Subaru's on the highway! Good to read that you're still hanging around, I almost posted a "Where has jkobty been?" post the other day! How much do you think GM has muddied the Aveo waters with their methods, jkobty? Do you think it's wholly a Daewoo product?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    Glad to see some of the old posters back.

My Nubira presently has 88,000 miles on the clock and is still running strong. I had a sensor go out some time ago (about 50,000 miles) and though I have the sensor in the glove box and it is just a matter of getting dirty to change it, I haven't yet. Otherwise, it's been a great ride and I intend to drive it until the heart stops. Currently get about 27 - 28 mpg. Good info on the Suzuki/Chevy parts. I was concerned about getting replacement parts.
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    Older Lanos models seem to have had some timing belt, tensioner and water pump problems. The new Chevy AVEO (like a Daewoo Kalos in other markets) has an engine that says 1.6 L ECOTEC II and it is a direct ignition (no distributor) dual overhead cam engine. IS THIS THE SAME ENGINE THE LANOS HAD IN IT OR AN UPDATED VERSION??? NICE CAR AND IM TEMPTED TO GET ONE.. Im concerned with mechanical reliability.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Interestingly enough the Daewoo Kalos sold elsewhere in the world has a newer engine than the Chevy Aveo, Suzuki swift versions. Yes, unfortunately these still use the old Daewoo Lanos 1.6L GM Holden built engine. I would have expected GM to go with Daewoos new engine, but it seems that they are so concerned about making money on these cars for a change that they decided to go with the GM built one.
    Not to say that the 1.6L Ecotec is a bad engine. In fact, it will surprise you how much powerful these engines are in real life driving despite the HP numbers. My brother in law owns a 2001 Lanos Sport which also has the 1.6L ecotec and he has driven it around 120 MPH on the freeway.
    You will have a timing belt problem if you ignore to change it on time. The belt, tensioner and water pump have to be replaced around 55,000 miles. Also the thermostat seems to fail around 50,000 miles, and since it has a plastic casing, the casing disintegrates, and you lose all the fluid. This is not such a huge thing since the replacement part is around $20. But it is consistent as it has failed on the 2 Lanoses that I know. And I fixed it myself for my brother in law at a cost of $20.
    I asked the Chevy dealer and the timing belt change interval is still the same for the Aveo as it is for the Lanos. And it is the same engine. I do not know if they have made any improvements to the timing belt tensioner. But as long as you change it on time, it is a non issue. Especially that you get plenty of warning signs before it fails(rattling noise like a loose chain that you can hear at low speed).
    The funny thing is that when GM executives were asked at the auto show about the Aveo, they claimed it is way more reliable than a Daewoo Lanos because the Aveo uses a GM engine!!!!!!!
    either those guys are stupid or are playing stupid.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Just a small update, I still drive and absolutely LOVE my Daewoo Leganza. It is five years old now, still with zero problems, runs, handles, feels, looks and smells like a showroom car. Ans still looks way better than any car on the market. My wife leased a 2004 Acura TSX in June 2003. So far I have complained about 10 defects with the TSX, and got 3 fixed under warranty and the rest ignored by my dealer as "normal" whatever that is.
    I just love to rub their noses in it that my Daewoo Leganza has had ZERO problems and less wear and tear in 5 years of operation than an Acura TSX in 2 months.
    I am currently using our 2000 Nubira as a winter beater in toronto. This thing takes a licking and keeps on ticking. A true winter warrior of the first order, it starts like a champ in below 20 degrees weather and covered with snow. Its lease expires in 2 months. It has 80,000 miles on it with no out of pocket repair expense. The dealer changed the timing belt and tensioner and water pump around 55K miles under warranty. We now have 3 cars, so I am not sure if I should keep it or return it once the lease is over. What do you guys think?
    My Leganza is on the other hand fully paid for and it is an absolute pleasure to drive.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    it's not a derivative of the Acura RSX, is it? I don't look into the Japanese brands very much, unless they really catch my eye, so I'm not sure which model that is. Is it an Acura sedan, that looks like an overpriced Accord, basically(which is already overpriced!)? I would consider letting the lease expire on the Lanos unless you REALLY are digging it, if the Laeganza's yours and the Acura is your wife's. But that's just me, thinking in terms of saving cash month-to-month. Your report on the timing belt changeout, tensioner, etc. on the Daewoo vehicles made me think of something related to car maintenance and the "car experience after you drive off the lot." A lot of how a person's ownership experience goes is greatly affected by HOW IN-DEPTH YOU WANT TO GO INTO YOUR MANUAL AND YOUR SHOP MANUAL IF YOU HAVE ONE FOR YOUR VEHICLE, ETC. You have to be on top of your car's maintenance situation COMPLETELY. If you do that, you stand a pretty good chance of having a good ownership experience with today's improved-manufacturing methods. But you have to decide that you're not going to let the service schedule's slip and, if you do some of the work yourself, you're going to correctly install parts because you've done your homework and looked up correct specs, etc. That's not to say that something COULDN'T go wrong, but that you are the one responsible for your car's well-being after you drive off the lot. And that's where a lot of people are getting into trouble with their cars mechanically. They're flitting here and flitting there and not taking the time to get to know their cars! Then if they let something go and an entire system breaks down on their car they want to make the manufacturer pay and make everything right for them. It takes a little work and the car's owner has to get involved. Sounds simple but it's true, so very true. You are one that does take the time and that is commendable. My Kia's have been great little cars but they must be maintained adequately. They have treated me right because I treat them right up front. It's a labor of love. There's the point to everything I just said. Glad your Leganza experience is going well, still, jkobty. I like this little Aveo and, although I may never buy one because my wife and I like sitting up higher in our small SUV(Sportage), I'm gonna be following people's Aveo reports throughout the coming months to see how they're doing with them. I suspect they're gonna be solid little troopers.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick