Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• brettski1brettski1 Member Posts: 12
    Hey, Jkobty....
    what's that website and/or name and phone number for your Daewoo dealer with the reasonably priced parts?
  • big_cin2002big_cin2002 Member Posts: 2
    Just got my notice in the mail today. I also posted before about having the check engine light on in my car. Spent the money to get it replaced. It's nice to know that hopefully I will get some money back for it. Basically, if your car has a vin that matches the ones they are recalling or you got a new camshaft sensor after Oct 2001 you should get it inspected and replaced for free. Unfortunately there are not many Daewoo service places around here so it's going to be a pain.
  • milymily Member Posts: 2
    I received the letter from Daewoo my vin number fall in the ones stated in the letter and I have the check engine ligth on with the code "camshaft position sensor slow response" but the dealer refuse to change it saying the serial number of the sensor is not the one in the recall.
  • mazharmazhar Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2000 Leganza CDX. Great price (high depreciation/low resale). The GM dealer is replacing the cam shaft sensor. A couple of questions I have are as follows:
    1. Is the POS button on the radio/CD the only way to control fade & balance?
    2. Is it possible to set my own settings for the radio/CD equalizer and save it in one of the 4 memory buttons?
    3. Does anyone have any problems with the climate control? it is either too hot or too cold. Have a rough time to keep it at a proper temperature without fiddling with it everytime. Any help would be appreciated
  • jnubirajnubira Member Posts: 1
    i was just wondering if anyone knew of somewhere that i can purchase just the bushings...
  • bepilcbepilc Member Posts: 1
    We have a '99 Daewoo Leganza, with the 2.2L engine, the belt failed, broke off 8 (the forward row of) valves, punctured thru 3 of the 4 pistons, bend the plugs, and damaged the head beyond repair. The replacement parts are excessively hard to find and very pricey, to boot. Not a good situation for the unsuspecting owner! Suspect this has similar parts to the old Sunfire twin cam engine?
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    My daewoo dealer in toronto can get ship you these parts. However I am not allowed to mention any names or addresses or phone numbers here on edmunds. So if you send me an email, I will gladly forward you their website and phone number.
  • astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    Had the same thing happen to my original engine last year at Thanksgiving. Belt went at 57K when it was rated to 72K. As I had just bought the car a few months before in April on Ebay at a substantial discount it was worth it to me to put in another complete engine rather than try to rebuild it. I sourced a used one fairly quickly with 16K and had it shipped to my local shop. The new engine has a new timing belt and water pump and runs without the constant CEL glow provided by the original one, Thank Goodness.

I only put between 6-7.5K a year on the car and it's basically my puttermobile. If you have trouble locating the necessary parts I strongly recommend a complete swap-out of the engine.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    for your engine. Was it a reasonable cost for you? That does sound like an easier way to go than tearing in to your engine, if the price is fair on the replacement one.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Hi Fella...long time no chat.

If I remember correctly there were two engines available at the time from this particular salvage dealer...located in Tenessee or Kentucky I think...maybe Arkansas. I can check if needed.

I took the 'younger' one at 16K for $900 and added in a complete 1 year warranty for another $150 I think. Turns out I didn't need it but felt right at the time. Shop did all the work for another $1K or so as I recall. $2K into a vehicle I had just bought for under $4K 6 months before seemed OK for my needs. It was my own stupidity about the original belt going anyway...I could easily have had the replacement done when my shop handled the vehicle inspection and service when it arrived from Pa. But that 72K Belt rating in the manual looked like I might get a year or two of my low mileage use before running into that expense.

Call me penny-wise and pound foolish.

Anywhoooo...thing runs like a top now although I can never get anything like the rated gas mileage on this thing unless I'm pure highway which is rare. It usually avgs. around 23 for my driving.

I figure I will keep this thing for quite a few years still. We'll see. Now my dash has started to come unglued at the defroster grill like a previous poster reported so I'm currently searching for the right super quick-acting adhesive. It has to be that kind as there's no room to do a proper glue down without removing the windshield.

Oh well, such is life.
    there's an adhesive out there for that somewhere! Nice to chat again with you!

• ehamilto55ehamilto55 Member Posts: 57
    have a Daewoo Leganza Automatic -- The problem I am having is while driving in traffic or just around town when I come to a stop sometimes the car does not want to go when I hit the accelerator. If this happens I have to put the car in low gear to pull over to the side of road and turn off car. When I turn car back on Everything is fine. This has only happened like 3 or 4 times in the past month. My Transmission has fluid and has recently been Flushed and filled. Dealership said they did not see anything wrong with transmission. Does anyone know why this would happen?
  • mac7mac7 Member Posts: 1
    I can not move from park position without putting my key in the "shift lock release". Do anyone know why this happens?
    Yes, the relay switch for the shift lock release is burnt. can be replaced in a few minutes. Once it is fixed the switch is activated when you depress the brake pedal.
    I have a Daewoo Leganza Automatic -- The problem I am having is while driving in traffic or just around town when I come to a stop sometimes the car does not want to go when I hit the accelerator.(only revs up) If this happens I have to put the car in low gear to pull over to the side of road and turn off car. When I turn car back on Everything is fine. This has only happened like 3 or 4 times in the past month. My Transmission has fluid and has recently been Flushed and filled. Dealership said they did not see anything wrong with transmission.

Another symptom is that while in Park and changing gear to reverse - seems like it jumps and revs up a little.. In neutral - seems like low power, deceleration.

Also the check engine light comes on when this happens. Couple days later the check engine light is off and everything is fine.
    I have a Daewoo Leganza Automatic -- The problem I am having is while driving in traffic or just around town when I come to a stop sometimes the car does not want to go when I hit the accelerator.(only revs up) If this happens I have to put the car in low gear to pull over to the side of road and turn off car. When I turn car back on Everything is fine. This has only happened like 3 or 4 times in the past month. My Transmission has fluid and has recently been Flushed and filled. Dealership said they did not see anything wrong with transmission.

Another symptom is that while in Park and changing gear to reverse - seems like it jumps and revs up a little.. In neutral - seems like low power, deceleration.

Also the check engine light comes on when this happens. Couple days later the check engine light is off and everything is fine.
    What are some symptoms of bad spark plug wires? Could this cause the car to miss fire or not go from a stop?
    I truly doubt it is the spark plug wires.

If you are getting misfire in a Daewoo, 99% of the time it is clogged or bad fuel injectors. Get those cleaned professionally first (use a high pressure fuel injector cleaner can plugged directly into the fuel rail.
    Can someone tell me what should normally be changed when doing timing belt? Timing Belt, Tensioner, Roller Guides, Water Pump and seal -- anything else?
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    This has been an awesome and very dependable vehicle. I had my timing belt replaced at 55K miles, as a precaution. I have just replaced the original battery after 63K and 6 full years of use. The one complaint I have is the smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin after idling or going very slow for some time. I can also smell it under the hood, but see no source of this issue. Anybody else with similar problem?

I am amazed that this car consumes no oil, none whatsoever. I used to have to put a couple of quarts into my Isuzu Axiom between changes.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    I am in the same situation. I got a recall notice, drove 30 miles to the dealership just to be told that the serial number does not fall within the replacement specifications. They could have replaced it for $160, but I chose to continue looking at the "Check engine light" with $160 in my pocket.
    Yes the timing belt kit includes belt, tensioner and 2 rollers. These should be replaced. The water pump is really optional, but it is a good idea to change it as it is also run by the timing belt and if it fails then it will damage your new timing belt.

Make sure when you do the timing belt service that you change the tensioner and rollers.
  • earl2earl2 Member Posts: 2
    99 Leganza with numerous electrical problems. Most recent is heater fan speed control (resistor). Fan speed only runs on highest setting. Once when parts were not available, I discovered that a Ford Taurus resistor works with only one screw holding it in place - Speed position on the switch is wrong, but it works. I.E. #2 is #4, etc. I have replaced it twice and now it is out again. Car has 51,000 miles on it. Previous problems are: brake-light switch, A/C compressor relay. Anyone else having these problems?
  • frankyxfrankyx Member Posts: 2
    It happened to me. However, my break lights were also not working. When I took it to the dealer the problem was that the "break light switch" was blown. The part cost about $14, the labor was about $70.
  • frankyxfrankyx Member Posts: 2
    My rear windows do not close after opening. I had one fixed while under warranty. The other one went out. I want to do it myself. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • colleenccolleenc Member Posts: 1
    HELP! My poor husband is commuting 50 miles a day with no radio. We bought his 00 Nubira used from a Chevy dealer. When he replaced the battery the radio would no longer work, apparently there's a code he needs to put in? We have nothing in our paperwork or owners manual to let us know what the code is for our car, and there's no one locally who knows much about Daewoo repair. Anyone have a resource or advice for us?
    Hello Colleen,

Sorry but I think you will need to visit a dealership still servicing these cars. I know the same thing happened to me with my Leganza and I took it to the dealer...simple thing really...don't usually need a tech...the gal service rep took care of it for me. If you try entering 4 digit combos offhand the unit will lock up after so many tries. If this happens you will need to remove the radio fuse from the panel under the dash, wait a few seconds and then replace it. Then you will get a reset and can try to enter the right code again.

She simply went down a list of codes on a sheet until she hit one that worked. Pain in the butt...but no way around it that I know of. If there is nothing within a reasonable driving distance, you still might be able to call a dealership still servicing Daewoos and explain the situation. Believe me, they are more than used to this.

Good Luck.
  • brokenbroken Member Posts: 1
    HI I HAVE A 2002 NUBIRA AND WHEN YOU START FROM A LIGHT AND ACCELERATE HARD THE CAR VIBRATES LIKE IT HAS A LUMP ON THE TIRE ,AND VIBRATES EVERY TIME I SPEED UP, LIKE A TIRE IS OUT OF BALANCE BAD. THE LOWER ARMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED, CV SHAFTS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. TIRES ARE NEW AND NOT OUT OF ROUND. MOTOR SUPPORTS CHECK OK. ANY IDEA OR SIMILAR PROBLEM?
  • smoresmore Member Posts: 25
    Hi Coleen, try these codes. If you're not sure how to enter, read you owners manual. If you're still not sure, reply and I'll try to help you. This worked for me!
  • smoresmore Member Posts: 25
    Codes:1165-1325-1341-1630-2145-2152-2346-2453-3116-3241-3451-3462- -
    4156-4236-4265-4316-4353-4362-4513-4524-4553-4653-5224-5226-5241-- 5253-
    5256-5436-5624-5813-6253-6361-6461
  • yakimikiyakimiki Member Posts: 2
    for my 2000 leganza se. That's all trouble free miles. Manual says 72k but will do it for peace of mind. Found a part seller in the net that's really cheap... Acdelco belt for $30 and waterpump for like 74 and good site reviews too! (No tensioner and rollers though.) Don't know if I can mention the site but if anyone wants to know email me.
  • dngdng Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My leganza cdx 2001 has 60,600 miles and I am going to change the timing belt tomorrow. I also need to replace the gasket cover because it leaks oil, and its wiring as well due to oil leakage. I have been ordering Daewoo's parts from the dealer and take the parts to the mechanic who will normally charge me lower than the mechanic at the dealer ($70 an hour). My question is: Must I use ONLY Daewoo's parts? or Can I substitute the needed parts with other similar parts made by other companies? The problem with getting parts from Daewoo is that I must wait for one week because Daewoo only ships its parts once a week. Please advise. Thanks.

Dj
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    You do not have to use dealer parts at all. Napa has many of the more common maintenance parts available through special order and since the warehouse is 2 hours away here, they can have the parts within 2 days maximum, many by the next business day.

FYI the Isuzu vehicle with the same engine and timing belt issues has the same problems with the idler. Try and get the Isuzu updated idler for the timing belt for your replacement.
  • nelynely Member Posts: 2
    A couple of months ago the engine in my Laganza finally passed on. I assumed I would pay high dollar for a replacement engine when I found out that the engine in this vehicle is actually a Mitsubishi. I bought a used Mitsu engine with low miles, changed it out and it runs like a dream. Sooooo. All your engine parts, timing belts etc. can be purchased after market with no hassle. Daewoo pulled readily available parts off the shelf for their exports. Thus you may be able to use Izuzu, Mitsu or even Hundai replacement parts depending on you model and the part needed.
  • nelynely Member Posts: 2
    I called my supplier to make sure the previous info was correct. Although the engine is a D Tech engine, the Daewoo original equipment isn't excactly Mitsubishi. So be cautious on the question of interghangeable replacement parts.
  • pdmmikepdmmike Member Posts: 2
    Ok recently I had my shifter cable replaced on my 2000 lanos. When the problem first started when I shifted gears the radio and electrical componets would turn off, not to metion the thermostat and fuel gauge went crazy, they would go all the way up. One day the gears just completely locked and then I got it fixed. The problem seemed to go away. Anyway driving a yesterday the power and all electrical componets along with the thermostat and fuel gauge went up. Im pretty sure that this is not an over heating problems cause the all the gauges go haywire and rise way to quickly. It happened twice the first time no stalling the second time it stalled while driving at about 40 mph. When I parked it in the garage just for the sake of it I tried to restart the car, wouldnt start and the battery light came on. I then went to get the battery and the altenator checked both were good. I have no idea what the problem could be. Another thing is that the check engine light comes off and on and I have to put coolant in the car every week, checked for leaks but none. The car on cold mornings shakes a bit for the first minute of driving then runs fine for the rest of the day, I just replaced the spark plugs didnt help. Also for about a week 2 months ago for the first minute of driving on a cold morning start lots of white smoke from the tail pipe but after a week the problem seemed to go away. Please Please somebody help tired of putting money into car that I owe more money that what is worth. Any help would be very appreciated thanks in advance.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    1. Simple problem, you need to find the bad ground. Probably also the cause of your no start condition and battery light.
    2. Lost coolant needs a simple diagnosis. You need to pressure the system with it cold and find out where the coolant is leaking. Any decent repair shop has the equipment and it should only cost the diagnosis fee.
  • lotus31081lotus31081 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so I just got a used 2001 leganza and the previous owner tried to fix the chipped paint around the door handle. Is the piece around the door handle able to be replaced or do I just have to get a new paint job? Sorry if the question sounds a bit "special", this is my first car.
    1. running rough when initially started: need a professional fuel injection service. clogged or bad fuel injector.
    2. guages going haywire. 2000 model year Lanoses had a major recall regarding the wire harness. The wire harness needs to be replaced. and since there was a recall you need to research how you can do it as part of the recall.. contact www.daewoous.com
    I have a 1999 Daewoo Leganza and I keep replacing the Valve cover gasket -- Is there a reason for this -- I normally get my oil changed every 3k miles and today I believe it broke again and oil leaked out everywhere. Now my car will rev up but will not go forward or backwards -- could this be because the valve gasket broke and is throwing off Pressure in the engine?

Can You please help?
  • pdmmikepdmmike Member Posts: 2
    Alright Im in desperate need of help and have gone through much trouble and grief any and all help is welcomed. First thanks jkobty2 for your diagnostic. Anyways in regards to my first post the rough when initially started and stalling and electrical going out with addition to haywire gauges. I took my car to daewoo of cerritos and told them all my symtoms and told them about the recalls. Just as jkobty2 predicted they said bad fuel injectors cost me $575 parts plus labor. Secondly they said that the after market sparks plugs my uncle put on were causing problems and told me that I needed factory plugs and wires $200. They also said bad cam sensor $85parts no labor. So in all I paid $915.67. They also said that the wire harness recall was preformed. They test drovet the car 10 miles and said it was fine. So I paid my money and drove off. Drove 10 miles no stalling, then I went to pull in the garage the car stalled not to mention about 5 miles in the electrical went haywire but didnt stall when that happened. What should I do im lost here and need help, My wife is 37 weeks pregnant and could give birth very soon I didnt have the 915 dollars to pay in the first place, dont know how im going to pay the rent and worst of all the car still stalls. I called the bank and stopped payment of the check but it was a electronic check so it can only stop payment once, then 24 hours later they can try to cash the check again "is this a good idea"? BTW it cost 15 dollars, I can stop the payment for 1 year but I got to go to the main branch and pay another 20. Is stopping payment a good idea, should I try to contact the service shop and work something out? What could still be causing this stalling that is ruining my life. I cant handle this, my poor pregnant wife is crying everyday cause we dont know how were going to make it, I hate daewoo and regret ever buying this car, which BTW I still owe 2,800 for. please help
  • sa3sa3 Member Posts: 3
    Ok, I had the same problem. My Daewoo Lanos 2000 was under warranty and 10 times service tried to fix, but they never did.
    I decided to fix by myself and I did. My Daewoo works fine so far.
    Draining pipe for A/C was filled with dust and something else, and water was going inside the car - passenger side. Under carpet on passenger side by the door are main cables for power train control and main harness. Carpet and all wires were wet and that caused stalling, fuel pump was shorted, gauges were crazy.
    Position of draining pipe is under the hood on passenger side about 20” below windshield wiper. You need to clean that pipe first, and get water out. Also you need to dry carpet and foam and I taped wires and harness higher from first position. Check those wires if they are cut, I had one cut.
    I am telling you all this in case if you have water inside, but it could be common problem with Daewoo. Also cut little draining pipe and make the hole bigger.
    And do not forget disconnect the battery if you work with those wires and harness. It is main harness for "computer" positioned under passenger seat.
    Does anyone know where to find a Head Gasket or possibly Full Head set for 99 Daewoo Leganza
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    You still standing firm on Daewoo's incredible quality?
    My 99 Leganza is still trouble free after 6 years.
    I maintain it properly and I am lucky in that my dealer is still open and parts were never in shortage. A lot of people in the USA got stranded when their dealers closed. For some reason in Canada we did not have this problem.
    Most of the problems I have seen are with the Lanos model and mostly in the ones built during/after the daewoo bankruptcy. Not as many problems with pre 2000 model year.
    The main issue with all daewoos so far has been replacing the timing belt and tensioner on time. And that is not a big deal unless of course, you have no dealer or parts to do it. Which is really pathetic in the US that customers were left stranded. I guess we have better laws here in Canada.
    the new Chevy Aveo is proof of that quality. It's the best GM vehicle since they released the 1970 Camaro. Daewoo is not a proper company to blame for automotive quality inequities. I would look at GM or even Ford for crappy quality first. The imports are way out ahead of the domestics in quality and Daewoo is fine. The new '06 Aveo looks splendid. Simply splendid. It sure would have been interesting to see what would have become of Daewoo if not for all of the political Chaebol and economic fallout sludge that helped bring them down, eh?

• yakimikiyakimiki Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Leganza is also trouble free after more than 60k. The problem is that my dealer refused to honor the recall of defective cam position sensor claiming that it is ok. I got the recall letter last Oct. and clearly my vin is in the range given. Guess I have to try other dealers if I can find them. :(
    I don't know why your dealer is wimping out like that. :confuse: