Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikecookemikecooke Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I can take it our of park if I stick something in the "shift lock" hole next to the transmission. WHat part is this and where can I get it? Is it possible I don't need a new one at all?? Please advise...
  • daewoonatordaewoonator Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a 1999 Lanos, my car when it's cold has trouble idling and stalls. Once it stalls it just turns over. i think i have a similar problem to post #350. I do know when it just turns over, that i have to wait at least 30 - 45 seconds until i hear a faint tick in the dash, then it will try and start, before the tick, forget it, just turns over. Once my car is at running tempreture it's all a-okay. Also, at how many kilometers should i do the timing belt.

the daewoonator needs help! Thanks in advance!
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    The culprit is the brake release switch which is found right behind the break pedal from the top. When you press the brake the switch closes and makes contact and the gear lock or latch is removed. This is a safety so you cannot shift out of park without pressing the brake pedal. It is a $10 part and you can replace it yourself.
    Sometimes the switch is not completely broken and is just stuck in the depressed position. Try pulling on its tip outwards all the way, and then put it back and see if it works again.
    hesitation during idling in the morning:
    1. Clean fuel injectors.
    2. Clean throttle body.
    3. Replace fuel filter.

With the lanos it might also be an electrical problem. I heard that it is a common problem that AC drain hose leaks water inside the car which damages some wiring to the engine computer. Lift the carpet and check for any water damage.
    From what you are saying with the faint tick, sounds like electrical issue.
    Timing belt should be replaced every 50K miles together with the tensioner and rollers.
  • yonigyonig Member Posts: 1
    I recently got a Nubira SE 2000. It has just under 70k miles on it. It drives fine and operates normally (some A/C compressor issues in the summer) most of the time. In the past month it has refused to start on me twice. Both times it was parked on a downward slope but I have also parked it on the same slope (my driveway) for weeks in-between without a problem. Once, te gas tank was 1/3 full, and once it was 3/4 full. The engine turns but there is no ignition.
    The first time it happened I had it towed to a mechanic who found nothing wrong with it (it started as soon as he tried)... Any suggestions?
  • daewoonatordaewoonator Member Posts: 2
    Thanks jkobty2,

i will do the cleaning of the above. i did read somewhere else that if the erg value is stuck open the the car wont idle and stall when cold. Do you concur?
    Could also be true, the EGR valve used on these cars is very common on GM cars too, so you should be able to get one from any parts store.
    I was thinking what you are doing at 4 am writing about Daewoos, then I realized you are an Aussie. Hope it is just the time difference :)
    I am an Aussie too, and I used to live in Sydney and owned a Daewoo Cielo for a while. I know that car dealers in Australia charge a lot for service. So if you are not mechanically inclined yourself, you should be able to easily find a good cheap private mechanic who is familiar with the Lanos engines. They are all Holden engines built in Melbourne.
  • rpeddlerpeddle Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1999 nubira stwgn that had the same problem, and yes it was the brake switch, cost me $15 for a new one. Yes, you can take out of park using the key hole along-side of the gear shift, but be very careful, when you drive away, be aware that your brake lights will not be working.
  • jtru80jtru80 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2000 Nubira. Have to use the bypass swich next to the gear shift and my brake lights won't come on. My mechanic said it's the brake light switch sticking and that I need a new one. Any idea where to get the part?
    In the US you can order all daewoo parts from their official website:
    www.daewoous.com
  • postman2postman2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Daewoo Nubira, and have two problems:

1) First the check engine light keeps coming on, and when I get it looked at the reading is "gas cap is on too loose", so I check the gas cap and it's making the clicking noise and is already on tight. But after resetting the check engine sensor, it just comes back on.

2) When I fill my car up with gas, the nozzle at the pump won't auto fill........something is causing the nozzle to stop pumping gas and you need to stand there and keep turning it on........so it really sounds like something is messed up in the gas tank area causing both problems. Anyone else face this?
  • daskas27daskas27 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, Would anyone happen to know if there are any rims out there that are interchangable with the Nubira. I want to have seperate snows mounted and I'm hoping I can find some more easily found rims.

Thanks in advance
  • woowoeswoowoes Member Posts: 12
    Make sure the crank shaft position sensor and the cam position sensor are plugged in. That was the problem I had. If you line up the belt correctly, the computer tweeks it with info it gets from these sensors.
    The exhuast gas recirculation (egr) valve can get stuck open with carbon deposits. When this condition occurs the car will run very rough at idle and may stall when you stop. The egr valve is very easy to access. The gasket for it should only cost a few dollars. Instead of buying a new egr valve, just take it off and inspect it. Take the obvious carbon off, if any, and clean it with carburetor cleaner. Install the new gasket and bolt it back on. I've had very good success doing this.
  • racmiasracmias Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 daewoo nubira makes a knocking sound when i drive over a bumpy road. all the mechanics i have been to have said different things. anyone have any suggestions?
  • rpeddlerpeddle Member Posts: 5
    could be your sway bar links or the front bolts are loose, it took me several mechanics to solve this problem but I found a daewoo dealer in ontario who knew how to fix these cars, most other mechanics dont' have any idea about daewoos.
    The noise could be a lot of things. Is the noise coming from the front or the back? which wheel(s)? Does it happen when turning either way? I had a similar problem and it was a loose strut. The stabilizer bar bushings in these cars are a common problem, that's probably what it is. Over all, all the components on Daewoos are pretty flimsy. You may find that mechanics try to stay away from Daewoos because of parts availability, etc., but a car is a car. I've worked on many different kinds (American, German, Japanese, Korean), all cars basically have the same components. A good mechanic will be able to fix it for you, if he wants to.
  • dclanosdclanos Member Posts: 5
    Do GM service centers now do Daewoo repairs? Do they have a clue about Daewoos (given Lanos similarity to Aveo)? Are they honoring warranties, or did bankruptcy scrap them entirely?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    you might want to check out Daewoo's U.S.website, located here, for a possible answer to your question.

http://www.daewoous.com/#

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• raywooraywoo Member Posts: 16
    I bought a used Daewoo Lanos about a year ago. 2000 model. It had 38,000 miles on it. This is the first car I've come across with out a dip stick for the trans. Is there some alternate method to check the level of the trans fluid?
    Also, after reading through the forum a bit, I very much nervous about my timing belt. The car is now fast approaching 60,000 miles and may never of had the timing belt replaced! I have no problem with doing engine repairs, does anyone know where I can get a good write up on proper replacement of the timing belt? Any feedback on these two items would be greatly appreciated. :)
    Thanks.
  • gpn80gpn80 Member Posts: 2
    HI, Sorry it might be a bit late but i have just found this forum and logged on. My Nubira experienced the same problem and it was a faulty idler motor that need to be replaced. Hope this helps.
  • gpn80gpn80 Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced the above topic. My car only makes the noises on cold days, so im suspecting that when the metal is cold there is some tightness in there and when it warms up and expands the noise goes away. so does anyone has any ideas or comments on this?
    Take it immediately to the dealer for a timing belt job. You should replace the belt, tensioner, rollers, water pump.
    The tensioner is currently loose and he belt is slowly being chipped to pieces.
    If you wait, your engine will need new valves too.
    I have a 2001 Leganza that I have been keeping alive. The latest problem is that the blower for the heat/defrost kicks off and on by itself. The settings high to low all blow at full. It doesn't matter where I set the dial it blows on high. When I turn the knob to off, the blower doesn't shut off it still stays on high, but will turn off and on by itself intermittently. When the blower motor kicks on and off there is a clicking sound that comes from under the driver's side dash. Please help. Faulty relay is what I'm thinking. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • 2000_lanos2000_lanos Member Posts: 1
    if i JUST bought my lanos 2000 se automatic.

A - how do i find out what recalls should have been taken care of on it?

B - are these recalls still able to be done on my car free?

C - where is the list of recalls? link?

D - the car is got a salvaged title. from what i read it looks like all of the titles should be that way. hehe - is this going to affect my ability to get recalls done on it?

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    No, all of the Daewoo cars should have a clear title unless they were a total loss by an insurance company.

The salvage title status clears Daewoo Motor America of any liability or warranty on the car so the recalls are your responsibility, unless you can get a dealer to be nice.

Nthsa.gov web site is the web site to search for recall information.
    Some of the recalls can be done by yourself, like protecting the computer wiring harness under the carpet.
  • woo1woo1 Member Posts: 3
    I sucessfully replaced my belt after it broke at 70k. I concur with the last guy, check that all the sensors plugged in, and the pulley that goes over the tiny little bottom gear is on- the crank sensor needs this. (i had the same problem.)
  • woo1woo1 Member Posts: 3
    Not sure if you got an answer ever, I know its been a month. alldatadiy.com has a pretty good manual. The marks have to point at each other on the dual cams and the bottom pulley mark has to point to the notch on the aluminum housing.
  • rlangmeadrlangmead Member Posts: 1
    I've bought a Lanos Sedan (year 2000) and don't have a manual for the radio/CD. I'd love to be able to understand the settings. Is there one available electronically, or would someone very kindly scan a few pages for me? Local dealers haven't been able to help.

Thanks,

Ross
  • dwoolanos1dwoolanos1 Member Posts: 1
    Qamar, I'm experiencing replacing a timing belt on my 97 Lanos. Did you ever get specs on the numbers to set the timing?

Wlliam
  • duckeggduckegg Member Posts: 1
    i have just had a new radiator fitted at a garage cause they say the old one has corroded at te bottom but other machanics tell me this is not a new radiator i need to clear this situation up, can you tell me which radiator is which the silver colored one or the jet black rusty looking one, i have been told the silver looking one is the oil cooler if this is true they have not fitted a new radiator. but they have just cleaned it up.
  • dumassdumass Member Posts: 1
    ANYONE KNOW HOW TO SET TIMING ON 2000 LANOS
  • homer1521homer1521 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my name is Jessica and my Leganza's name is Homer. On Friday after work I put the key in to unlock the car and when I opened the door the alarm went off and the car won't start. My dad tried everything but no luck. Can anyone help me to reset the alarm or dissconnect or something? I need the car for school and work.

Thank you in advance,
    Jessie
  • tmcdonaldtmcdonald Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 nubira wagon with 51,000 miles. I am experiencing this same problem. Have you discovered the solution or cause yet?
  • tmcdonaldtmcdonald Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 nubira wagon and am experiencing the same exhaust fume smell inside the car at idle or slow speeds. Did you ever find out what causes this??
  • kcope1kcope1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Lanos and the other day I lost all the dash and heater lights all at once. Checked the fuses and all are good.

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue and if so do you have any remedies?
  • steelwarriorsteelwarrior Member Posts: 1
    I have problems when starting my 02' Nubira, it does not start at the first try. Most of the times it requires 3-4 tries, specially in the mornings, and after it starts, it works perfectly. If I turn it off inmediatley after a good start, 99% of the times it start up OK inmediately again. But if I wait a minute or so, it wont start at the first try. Is this a typical sympton of the fuel pump saying goodbye? Also, I am looking for the brake switch others had problems here not allowing to move the shift lever from P, and I visited the recommended website, but I don't have and idea how to find that switch there.
  • curetoncureton Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I am trying to change the gearbox oil on a 2000 Daewoo lanos SE - Manual. However I can not for the life of me find the drain plug and the fill plug. I can simply drain the transaxle by removing the inspection plate at the bottom of the diff, however this does not help me with filling it (Unless I turn the car up side down) and to what level do I fill it.

I am wondering if the gearbox is filled through the speedo sensor hole above the diff.

If anyone could give me any pointers I would be truly thankful

Cheers,
    David.
    Hi,
    I am trying to change the gearbox oil on a 2000 Daewoo lanos SE - Manual. However I can not for the life of me find the drain plug and the fill plug. I can simply drain the transaxle by removing the inspection plate at the bottom of the diff, however this does not help me with filling it (Unless I turn the car up side down) and to what level do I fill it.

I am wondering if the gearbox is filled through the speedo sensor hole above the diff.

If anyone could give me any pointers I would be truly thankful

Cheers,
    David.
  • ehamilto55ehamilto55 Member Posts: 57
    My 1999 Leganza takes a while to warm up in the mornings and after the car sits for a long time. When starting the car in the morning or after long sit It takes a while for the car to change gears correctly. My first few gears change perfectly and when I reach 3rd gear my car will not change gears until the car is warmed up or the teempurate gauge is about 1/4 of the way up from Cold. Can someone tell me why this would happen?
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Have you owned any automatic tranny cars model year 1996 or later?

All recent vintage automatic transmission cars with 4 speed and better do not lock up the torque converter or enter the highest gear until the car is warmed up to a certain point.

This has to do with some emmisions control issues and is normal operation. If it takes a long, long time to get to 1/4 temperature, then you might have a bad thermostat that is stuck partially open.
  • p191p191 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a problem with my dipped lights in my bumper the N/S dipped light bulb has blown and i dont know how to replace it anyone have any ideas I think i have to remove the bumper am i right?
  • jeanrvictorjeanrvictor Member Posts: 11
    I have noticed that my 2000 Leganza with 94000 miles has been hesitating a bit after stepping on the gas from a complete stop. I have already changed the transmission fluid, changed the oil and filter and even upgraded the grade of gas that I use with not much luck :confuse: . Is it time for me to part ways or is there something else that I overlooked :confuse: ?

Thanks,
    JV
  • slayer0605slayer0605 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Leganza Automatic. My side/instrument lights do not always switch off and I am having to remove the relay to stop the battery going flat. If they do switch off, then once the car has stood for a while they will come on by themselves. Noticed that if i jerk the gear shift about they go off and on. Anyone heard of this before or know how to remove the Shift Lever covers so I can see if a wire is catching ? Desperately seeking guidance.
    Hi,

When I was replacing the timing belt on a 1.5 SOHC there was a notch in the plastic conver at the top of the camshaft pulley which the indentation on the camshaft pulley seemed line up with when the equivelent indentation on the crankshaft pulley was aligned with a notch on the block/sump which was straight below it at the lowest point.

However, this is just an observation and not a statement of fact. When I replaced the timeing belt I actually maked the relative positions of each pulley and put the belt on as the previous one came off.

Naturally, if you do use this as a guide.... you MUST turn the engine over by hand first to ensure there is not binding in the engine BEFORE you hit the starter motor. If my observation was wrong then atleast you will find out without causing disaster.

Given you are changing the timing belt then I assume you have probably have changed the gearbox oil at some stage. I have a manual and can not find a suitable drain/fill points on the gearbox. As stupid as that sounds, rest assured that I have change the oil of many gearboxs so I kind of know what I am doing.

I am wondering if it is possible that the gearbox is 'sealed for life' type job. If such things exist?

Can you give me any pointers?

Cheers,
    David
  • tca1tca1 Member Posts: 1
    Am having a timing problem after valve job similar to other posts about 'not starting' except that my sensors are all connected fine. I am confused by the timing marks on the cam gears. Its a 2000 Nubira and both cam gears are identical with a timing mark on a built-up section that reads 'Auslass/Exhaust'. There is however a second mark about 1/3 of the way around. The exhaust gear has the 'Auslass' mark painted white and the intake gear has the opposing mark painted (the one 1/3 of the way around). But if I align these marks the cam lobes don't look right. The exhaust lobes trail the intake by only 15 degress or so. Surely this can't be right! Which two marks are supposed to be lined up?
  • rusty17rusty17 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, have you had any success in finding out how to change the gear oil in your Lanos? We are in oz. and have a Daewoo Cielo and are having the exact same difficulty as you. I would appreciate your input if you have had any luck with your query. Cheers, Rusty
  • jamesf1jamesf1 Member Posts: 1
    Well the 2000 Lanos belt went today. 77,000 miles on her. Does anyone know if this is an interference engine? It went on the road with our daughter behind the wheel and she has a limited recollection of the event.
  • dper299dper299 Member Posts: 19
    Could someone please tell me the location of the cam positioning sensor for a 2001 leganza /cdx. My check engine light comes on sporadically and I had it scanned and it showed low voltage to the sensor..thanks
  • tester70tester70 Member Posts: 2
    First I must say thank you to everyone who has covered the "shift lock" topic which I am currently experiencing.

But looking over the forums there is no information on the SPECIFIC part number for the "brake relay switch" so I can order it, because I have no brake lights. The daewoo sight is no help yes there is a diagram but it's greek to me. Can someone just let me know the part #?

Thanks in advance. :)