Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jimoferiejimoferie Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone...I'm a first time poster. The wipers work fine, the washer bottle is full, but nothing comes out. This just happened two days ago. I checked the inside fuse box and it shows F12 (fuse 25A) for the wipers. I assume this is the wiper motor and not the washer pump. I can't find any fuses for the washer pump in my manual.

You can email me.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Jim
  • jimoferiejimoferie Member Posts: 2
    Hi again.

Looks like the ask tray light has jogged loose and is laying under the ash tray holder that also holds the cig lighter. Anyone know how to get the unit out to get access to the light? Taking out the ash tray only doesn't get at it. I guess I need to take the whole unit out?

Any ideas? You can email me about this and/or the windshield washer problem posted earlier.

Thanks again.
    Jim
  • deadwoo2deadwoo2 Member Posts: 21
    It's either a faulty washer fluid pump, or a clogged line. Check the integrity of the washer fluid lines, just unplug and blow thru them. Then listen or the pump motor when the switch is activated. good luck.

Jim in MA
  • cfergusoncferguson Member Posts: 1
    My Lanos had the same problem, and it was like yours, intermittent. Heads up on these cars: EGR VALVE. Either A) take it apart and clean it out, replace the gaskets when you do this, or B) replace it. usually, the problem will correct itself for a little while, cel goes off, cel flickers or blinks when accelerating (usually on man. trans.) slow-jerky acceleration when trying to get on a highway, etc. Diagnostic usually comes up as "fuel control sensor" or some kind of garbage like that, but, trust me, it's the EGR.
    Only reason I know this: Used to work at the Daewoo dealer service department back home. Good luck!
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    I had the same problem; CEL kept coming on and the dealer replaced one of the fuel injectors every time (it was still under warranty). It did this for 5 times and became suspicious. Asked them to change the fuel filter (it was due anyway) and did not have problems for a while. A year ago or so, the CEL came back on, but this time it was the camshaft sensor, a common problem with Daewoos.

In summary, the problem could be fuel filter, camshaft sensor or fuel injector(s)
  • fangsfangs Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 Nubira that I have this problem with and have had It at several different line up shops and they all say there is nothing wrong with the car. I would like to know if anyone out there as had this problem and what caused it? I am not sure but I think it could be the rack and pinon steering causing the problem.
    Did this fix the problem and was it really bad in turns.
  • hgudehgude Member Posts: 2
    i recently just bought a leganze and i hear knocking under the hood and when i turn the air on or the heater it becomes louder does any one know what this is cuased from? i have been wondering for sometime
  • biggdaddybiggdaddy Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 with 32,000 and hear a small ticking noise when I run the heater on a cold winter morning. It eventually goes away after 10-15 minutes.
    If you will Email me you address I will sent you a CD with that information on it.

Fangs
  • hgudehgude Member Posts: 2
    sorry i just started up on this forum like yesterday so i have no clue where i cna send you my address, i do not have a nubria i have a leganza and its more of not a ticking but a knocking
    This CD covers both cars. I will get back with you on the address.

Fangs
    It is absolutly an interference engine. You can buy a complately rebuilt head (valves, lifters, cams, guides, machined to specs from Cylinder Heads International Texas, US 800-942-4503. I bought one and had a great experience. Excellent value and support. You won't be dissapointed.

--Jim
    A common place for ticking is the fuel rail when the car gets op in miles. Check to see if the sound is coming from the top of the engine. Press on the fuel rail to see if the sound changes (a long black box linking the fuel injectors) It's not a big deal if the noise is coming from here...
    A common place for ticking is the fuel rail when the car gets up in miles. Check to see if the sound is coming from the top of the engine. Press on the fuel rail to see if the sound changes (a long black box linking the fuel injectors) It's not a big deal if the noise is coming from here...
  • lorac3lorac3 Member Posts: 8
    The check engine light has been on for quite some time. I checked the gas cap and it stills seems to be in tact. Any other ideas?
  • rpeddlerpeddle Member Posts: 5
    I have a 99 Nubira and had the same problem, it's probably the cam shaft sensor. Replaced mine and everything has been fine since.
  • legalaidlegalaid Member Posts: 1
    hello everybody this is my first time on here and I just figured out how to post a message. anyways, i just purchased a used lagenza and i purchased it without knowing much about cars. i had a limited budget so I purchased the car. it has 141,000 miles on it , but it looks really good inside and out. i took it to the shop to get check and i have had alot of work done on it because i start driving my son around in it. i have had work done under the hood and under the car, but there is still a small problem it still misfires and the shop is trying to figure out why. in addition things keep blinking on and off. can anybody help me with this??????
  • jpatersonjpaterson Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to my Lanos.
    Turned out to be the O2 sensor (rear) needed to be replaced
    Front end problem can be fixed by replacing the lower control arm bushings.
  • johnnyboy2johnnyboy2 Member Posts: 6
    I don't know if you still have this problem, but there was a recall on the camshaft position sensor and the check engine light will come one. Call DaeWoo at 1-877-362-1234 opt. 6.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    With no Daewoo dealers left, who will do the work?

Just curious...?
  • cmatt2cmatt2 Member Posts: 17
    If you go to www.daewoous.com there is a list of nearby dealers.Also, there are some good deals on new Daewoo parts.I have 4 places for warranty service from 4 to 50 miles from my house.Any engine parts ie heads,timing belts etc can be obtained from any ISUZU dealer, if you happen to live in an area that has no DAEWOO service available.So service and parts are not a problem.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060316/ap_on_bi_ge/skorea_gm_daewoo_1
    My predictions are finally coming true. One of 8 cars sold by GM last year was a Daewoo built vehicle. Sooner or later All America will be driving rebadged daewoos. That is if GM does not go belly up very soon :)
    Really? I thought they were all long gone.

The one around here left years ago. I would guess body and trim pieces would be pretty hard to come by.
    I did go to that website and there are about a half dozen Daewoo "dealers" listed in Washington State.

I would guess these are dealerships that took on Daewoo as an additional line rather than a free standing store.

They are probably trying to help their onwers by continuing to work on them as much as they can.

Isuzu dealers are fading pretty quickly as well so I know I wouldn't spend a lot of money trying to keep a Daewoo alive. A lot of the mechanical parts aren't the same anyway.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    The HOLDEN engine in the DAEWOO is the same one ISUZU uses-so i've heard.From what i've seen on the internet body parts do not seem a problem at the moment.Many of the other parts are used in the SUZUKI VERONA ie electrical,glass etc.
    One reason for this availibility seems to be that many owners did not follow the maintence requirements for changing the timing belt-hence many used parts on ebay.
    Luckily,in my area,there were many multiple line dealers who sold DAEWOOS.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • smmartismmarti Member Posts: 2
    when you find out about that let me know :confuse:
  • smmartismmarti Member Posts: 2
    anyone knows how to line up a timing belt for a 01 laganza please e-mail me :lemon:
  • kentalankentalan Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I own a 2001 Nubira. When the engine begins to heat up the car begins to kind of surge forward and back, kind of like it is rocking. This only happens when the car is in drive and when I am stopped at a red light. As soon as I switch the car to neutral, the surging stops.

I took the car to Firestone and they said that it might be the spark plugs or the spark plug wiring, but I'm not sure.

Any idea of what it might be and what I can do?

email me @ kentalan_@hotmail.com
    I just searched for auto recalls on the internet, there was a number to call and they told me a shop 20 miles from me that is a certified dealer. My camshaft sensor was ok, but there is also a brake hose recall that I had replaced yesterday. Here is the link I used: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm The reason we took our car in was because there is a burning smell when you drive the car and it gets warmed up. The temp control stays normal and I seen smoke once because the smell was so strong. They tell me it is the value cover gasket leaking and the right axel seal leaking. I still don't know if this is the cause because another shop said someting about a leak on the flx joint and this shop didn't notice that. But it was a difference of $300 to my favor. Of course they had to order parts and were unsure of how long they would take to come in. Has anyone else had this problem????
    I have a smell inside my car too, like a burning smell. Did you ever find out what the cause was? Also does the timing belt have some sort of smell when it is going out? I know that sounds strange, but I almost bought the auto repair book for dummies.
    There was a recall on the 2000 nubria for this. I know this is a few months later, but did you check that out?
    Forget the chain stores and find a competent independant who will work on a Daewoo.

It "might" be the spark plugs or wires?

That should tell you something!
    I know this has been a few years ago since this post, but I am having the "burnt" smell in my 2000 Daewoo. We have it in the shop and they think the value cover gasket is leaking and the oil is dripping somewhere and something to do with the right axel seal. What ever came about with that smell???? We have under $60,000 and I am actually signing up for the warranty today!! We have only had this car 2 months and I'm not taking anymore chances after reading all the posts.
    Read my post above.

A good mechanic won't "think" it's a valve cover gasket, they will KNOW what the problem is!
  • mchatlovskymchatlovsky Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 1999 Daewoo Leganza. Since i bought it about 2 years ago the check engine light periodically comes on. I was told by the previous owner that it may have something to do with the cam sensor since some were recalled with this year. I've purcased the part but dont know where it goes. Can anyone help???
    To get at the cam sensor, you have to remove the plastic cover that covers the spark plugs from the top of the engine. Then if you look down on the left side just between the timing belt cover and the first spark plug, you will notice a wire harness going down. below that is the cam sensor. In order to get to it and secure it properly you will also have to remove a small plastic cover that holds the timing belt cover. You will have best access if you remove the timing belt cover altogether.
    It is a very easy and fast job if you know what you are doing. The mechanics at the dealer usually do it in under 10 minutes.
    Another note about this cam sensor thing. It does not completely fail. unless your car is behaving abnormally, you can usually ignore it for a while. The sensors signal weakens with time probably because of the exposure to high temperature, and the computer is very sensitive and picks up this small change and alerts you. But it is not a failure of the sensor.
    If you have never replaced your valve cover gasket. Then that is probably the cause. The good news is the gasket costs about $30, and you can get it professionally installed for under $100. This minor issue has been corrected with the new generation Holdern 2.x family engines still being used today in the new daewoo built suzuki reno and forenza in the USA and in the chevy optra in canada. They basically use a silicone sealant as well as the rubber gasket to seal the valve cover properly. In fact that is what your mechanics should do too when replacing the gasket. If you do not know how to do it yourself, just go to a dealer that sells Forenza's or Reno's. The parts are identical.
  • curetoncureton Member Posts: 5
    Hi Rusty and other,
    Just wanted to confirm that the oil Fill plug to a Daewoo lano manual tansaxle is on the right hand side of the transaxle where the drive-shaft exits the gearbox housing.

Once I jacked up the car enough to be able to get completely under it, it was plain to see - if not a pain in the xxx to fill through.

Cheers,
    David
    Thank you. That is what they said was probably the problem along with a right axel seal.
  • wooblooswoobloos Member Posts: 12
    In January, 2006, I posted a problem w/my 2001 Leganza. Sometimes it would almost die when I came to a stop and then hesitate when I gave it gas to go again. It wouldn't do it all the time and I had 2 mechanics work on it to no avail. Deadwoo2 responded to my post and said to clean the EGR valve w/carb. cleaner.

Just wanted to let everyone know that deadwoo2's advice did the trick. My husband took the EGR valve off, cleaned it w/carb cleaner, and put the gasket back on. He did this about 3 wks. ago....and I have had no problems at all since then. My car runs great!

Thanks Deadwoo2!

:)
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Member Posts: 1
    During servicing on my 1996 Nexia 1.5 GLXI the garage identified certain issues which would need rectifying. Some of them needed to pass the MOT next month.

I was going to get the parts from the scrapyard, but as there aren't many Nexias there, and the build is apparently the same as some older vauxhalls, I'd like some advice as to what cars I can grab my parts from. And what years.

Here's what needs seeing to:
    Nearside rear Axle Bush
    Nearside rear Brake Pipe
    Nearside Front to rear brake pipe
    Offside Front to rear brake pipe
    Coolant Temperature sensor

Cheers
    I'm so glad to help. I've received tons of good info from this forum, it's nice to give back. I'm glad things worked out for you. Good Luck.

--Jim in Boston :shades:
  • horndawg54horndawg54 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know how to program the remote for a leganza keyless entry?
  • fedupdaewoofedupdaewoo Member Posts: 11
    i am having trouble checking the fluid in my daewoo lanos auto trans. it has no dipstick my dealer said there was a plug on the side but i have not been able to locate it.
  • esperoespero Member Posts: 7
    what daewoo do you have if its the espero 1.8 or 2.0 the timing marks for the cam and crank are as follows on the cam is a notch line this with the notch on the back plate 12 O'clock position and on the crank there is also a notch line this up with the notch with the back plate 6 O'clock position the espero is fitted with an automatic tensioner you will need to remove this to lock it in the off position also check the condition of the roller it should run smoothe with no grinding now refit the tensioner and bolt it tight "real tight" now with all the marks in place feed the belt working from the crank up to the cam keeping a little tension as you go working around the tensioner and lastly the water pump now release the tensioner now check the belt is sitting right and that the cam and crank has not moved. now disable the coil pack and spin the engine over a few times now check the belt tension useing you finger and thumb on the longest run of the belt twist the belt about half way down you should just be able to twist the belt through 90 degress and i do mean just then your done reconnect you coil pack start your car and drive. but as a caution do go to you local garage to have the belt tension checked. as i do my own belt changes your in safe hands and i was a Daewoo mechanic but they went bust over here in the U/K. and as for your post as long as the marks are lined up your good to go .
  • rjbradfordrjbradford Member Posts: 2
    I recently had my 1999 Leganza diagnosed by a dealer as having a faulty TCM. This was replaced but immediatley this to blew. Does any one have any idea's as I'm getting fed up with paying dealers for nothing,, any help would be appreciated. Also where is the auto transmission filter please.
  • fedupdaewoofedupdaewoo Member Posts: 11
    the trans filter is in the transmission oil pan, you have to take the bolts out and replace the filter, the gasket is re-usable so dont waste money on a new gasket, and if this helps that transmission is 4T40 general motors transmission that they used in the cavalier and the geo prizm.