Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• line3line3 Member Posts: 9
    sometimes after turning the engine off, i can't get the key to turn all the way in order to take it out of the ignition. it's stuck in the "acc" (that allows you to operate the radio). i can move it back to the "on" position or start the engine but can't take it out. only after fidgeting with the key for a minute does it eventually come out. any ideas? do i need to give the key several seconds before i try to take it out?
  • dmr1214dmr1214 Member Posts: 4
    generally when that happens, i just wiggle the steering wheel and turn the key at the same time. working in road service, i find that most vehicles have that problem every once in awhile, and that is a quick solution most of the time.
  • flyingdorkflyingdork Member Posts: 3
    Try pulling the fuse to the ECU....then try to start the car, then replace the fuse ( look in hand book for correct fuse )......I had the same problem with a nubira and now everythings ok....
    Hi....I've a problem with my station wagon ( estate ) the ABS is kicking in at low speeds.....its fine while stopping from say 30 to stop, but kicks in while move around town 5 to 0.....I've been running it with the fuse pulled for the last few months, but the MOT is now due and it will fail because the warning lights are on.....I've a sneaky suspition its the sensor in the CV joint but to be fair i would be happy just disabing the ABS completly....anyone know how to do this with out the fault lights showing up on the dash....? or can the sensor be replaced / adjusted without too much fuss....? any help would be great.....cheers Richard
  • nesa213nesa213 Member Posts: 1
    daughter1 did you get the code for your stereo? I have the same problem and I dont know where to go to get the code.If you have the code can you please help me put? :blush: thank *Nesa213*
  • danaukdanauk Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Do you mean take the fuse out then start the car and then replace with the engine running? The car starts okay at the moment, but it just over revs. Will this help do you think? I'm not sure how or why - maybe you could explain a bit more. Also should I reconnect the idle valve, which the garge disconnected from the ECU?
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    Where is it on a 2000 Leganza
    Thanks
  • silverback02silverback02 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Guys and Gals,
    my girl has a Nubria CDX 1.8ltr 2003 just out of warranty and we are having the following problems.
    1) the alarm once set with the key fob beeps twice as normal but then a further 5 times in succession and the battery goes flat overnight.
    2) her fuel consumption seems high to me...an average of between 19 and 20 mpg ( I get 25 in my Volvo S80 )
    The dealer has put it on the computer a few times and said there is nothing wrong with it as no codes are being displayed, and as we are now out of warranty we are looking at large bills.
    So would anyone have any clues as to what we should try next.
    cheers in advance.
    silverback.
  • ewebster1ewebster1 Member Posts: 37
    i have a 2001 nubria cdx i got for my daughter we had to have the battery replaced in that car the battery went dead overnight as for the other problem i have no clue maybe someone else can help you with that
    Thanks for that but this battery is only 3 yrs old and has Never given any probs before this weekend when the alarm started playing up.
  • kendangelicokendangelico Member Posts: 2
    can someone please tell me what caused this problem because i have the same problem
    Reference my girls Newbria with the flat battery. It Does seem to be caused by an Alarm Fault. We turned off the alarm system last night and lo and behold the car was fine this morning, started first time as it usually did before this alarm prob arose....hope this helps anyone.
    Silver
    It seems the fault lies with one of the internal sensors. to temperory turn off the internal sensors touch the half moon fob to the docking sensor and isolate the units.
    The doors and boot are still alarmed but the interior is not as if you had an animal in your car and didn't want the alarm going off every time it moved.
    Silver
  • marknadelmarknadel Member Posts: 3
    Hi from sunny Florida. I am English living in Florida. We bought a 2001 Nubira new in December 2000 and my daughter still drives it today. It has 54,000 miles on the clock and started shuddering at low speeds a few months back. Concerned about the brakes I took it to two brake shops and both came up with the same opinions\measurements.

I had the rotars replaced, brake pads replaced and braking system flushed and fluids replaced. Picked the car up last night and the shuddering is identical to before having all the work done.

So ... I have the same problem as you. Does anyone out there know what causes this? Contact me at Mark@Nadel.us please.
    We bought a 2001 Nubira new in December 2000 - so we have owned and maintained it since new.

It has 54,000 miles on the clock and started shuddering at low speeds a few months back. Concerned about the brakes I took it to two brake shops and both came up with the same opinions\measurements.

They told me to have the rotars replaced, brake pads replaced and braking system flushed and fluids replaced. Several hundred dollars later I picked the car up last night and the shuddering is identical to before having all the work done.

So ... I have the same problem as you. Does anyone out there know what causes this? Contact me at MarkNadel.us please.
    Is you ABS light comeing on at all. as this could be a problem with the ABS pump. On my Volvo after changing the brake pads with NON VOLVO parts the same happened then my ABS light came on and the shuddering stopped. I am due to change the pads again but this time to VOLVO originals and hopefully cure the problem.
  • psubra001psubra001 Member Posts: 2
    I've a problem with the A/C of my car. It has 63K miles on it. This is how it works.

Sometimes it works the first time.

Some other time, the A/c lights in control panel doesn't light evenif the switch is on & the a/c doesn't give cool air. But when i press the control panel hard, the lights comes on and it starts working.

Sometimes i need to keep pressing the hotspots i identified in control panel to keep it working !!!

It totally depends on my luck whether it will work or not.

Anybody had such problems? How many $ would it need to fix this? Any idea?
  • psubra001psubra001 Member Posts: 2
    Any idea when is a major service to be done on a 2001 Daewoo Nubira? I've one of them with 63K miles on it. Which are the parts recommended for a change? Since I am the third owner of this car, I don't have an user's manual with me. Neither i could get this information from www. Could you please help?
    you are having exactly the same probelm we had with our 2001 nurbia,the mechanic replaced the control panel that seemed to take care of the problem with it for about 1 summer then the air went out again blowing warm air when the heat index of 114 outside all of a sudden we had it checked out that time they said it was the air compressor and the expander with the cost of parts and labor would be $1600 i told him the car was not worth $1600 so i took it to another mechanic and he replaced the air compressor and it works now it costed me $800 for the compressor and $300 for the cost of labor it has lasted all summer this time air compressor may be your problem either the control panel that would the cheaper way out but we had a time pinpointing the problem with these cars nothing is simple,
    good luck
    But I am asking about brake shudder not A\C
  • ehamilto55ehamilto55 Member Posts: 57
    My A/C has stopped blowing. When I turn the A/C on I feel the car lose a little power like the compressor came on but no A/C blowing out. When I turned the a/c on I smelled like burning plastic and some white smoke emerged from vents. Does anyone know why this would happen? And what can I do to fix?
  • joevanjoevan Member Posts: 1
    What is the torque and seq. for tighting the head bolts on a 2.2l Daewoo Leganza?
  • savshousesavshouse Member Posts: 1
    My wifes 2002 Nubira's low beams stopped working. I checked/replaced all fuses, bulbs, relays, and replaced the complete turn signal stalk. The high beams still work, any thoughts?

If anyone has any answers would you please email me? Thanks. savshouse@comcast.net
  • vintage40vintage40 Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 Lanos (1)will start and Idle after three or four tries without foot on accelerator.
    (2) If you try to accelerate it stalls.
    (3) If you put it in gear AUTOMATIC it stalls.
    (4) If you play with it long enough you can get it to go with your foot to the floor Max Speed 10 MPH.
    (5) with car in neutral you can play with the gas pedal to get the engine to rev but if you put your foot to the floor it will die ,If you back your foot off it will rev up.
    IS the exhaust plugged up? Is the cam or crank sensors at fault? Is it the EGR? THE oil pressure and water temps are good. it just doesn't want to go Varoom -Varoom. What is the Problem?
  • valveliftervalvelifter Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 Sazuki Forenza (AKA Deawoo Lacetti). I had to take the car to the dealer shop where he entered three sets of four digit codes. I was told he could not give out the code and technically they are suppose to charge $45 to do this. :surprise: Fortunately I was not charged. :D I'm checking into replacing the system, because I'm not paying $45 on top of the price for a new battery! :mad:
    right now mine is doing ok since we replaced battery and spent alittle over $1000 getting the air to work but as soon as it is paid off it is going somewhere hope you get your car figured out looking at all the post on this website these cars are very complex don't ever want another one
    good luck
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Leganza auto wont idle after a hot start?? Having to
    brake with left foot & rev with right foot!! Any ideas
    anyone my car is in the garage even they dont know. Only owned it for 1 week
  • mjgaylormjgaylor Member Posts: 2
    I recently replaced the battery and now the radio is prompting for a code before I can listen to it. I don't have an owner's manual, does anyone know a way to crack the code? I am going nuts not listening to anything for the commute to and from work!!!!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    the dealer is about the only one that can help you on this.
  • raywooraywoo Member Posts: 16
    I went to start my 2000 Daewoo Lanos one day and it sounded the same way, like the starter was turning but not engaging anything. Man was I wrong. The Teeth had stripped off the timing belt aroung the crank shaft and what I heard was the starter turning the crankshaft after all four pistons had contacted the valves and bent them, there is no compression once that happens so the motor spins free.
    Have someone turn the key while you look in through the Oil cap at the cam shaft, chances are you wont see it spinning. I had read about the timing belts on the Daewoos but did not act fast enough, mine was at about 75000.
    I found the valves, valve seals, timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, and gasket set all genuine daewoo parts, on EBAY for under $300.00. Did all the work myself, and the car is running fine. Hopefully it truly is just a broken starter, I was hoping the same thing. and by the way the daewoo lanos starter is completly buried behind the motor under the intake manifold, what a nightmare.
    Feel free to contact me with any questions should you need to replace the valves and timing belt.
    rayb16@juno.com.
  • skylightskyskylightsky Member Posts: 1
    I just telephoned a dealership. Here is what they said.

Totally remove the radio. On the back or side there is a 10 digit number. The dealership needs that 10 digit number in order to provide you with the correct code.

Yeah... Like I am going to remove my radio... how much does THAT cost? (I have no dealership near me, and I have no skills at removing the radio... and that isn't just because I am a girl.) So... I'll listen to the motor for a while.
  • lanos0180lanos0180 Member Posts: 3
    it is a 4 digit code i called dealer here and they wanted 100 us dollars to give it to me after i pulled out the radio my self so i sat in my car a couple of weeks and just tried a bunch of numbers in order =. it is a try ;)
    :blush: my car also was stalling at idle thought it was the fuel filter if you gave it gas or once it got over 10mph it would not so i took it to the shop not the dealer and they found out it was a mass airflow sensor that was corroded and the plugs were no longer working so i ordered an new one if you need parts auto zone now carries most of them :surprise:
    I have a 99 Daewoo Leganza and my coolant just leaks completely out after filling Overflow resuvior. I was driving and noticed my car starting to overheat. I checked my coolant and nothing in resuvior. I added coolant and it just leaks or dumps out the bottom of engine/under the Throtle body closer to the ground. Does anyone know if this is my water pump or what the issue could be?
    well did you check the thermostat housing mine had a small crack and burned through anti freeze for a month and then burst it was on the underside of it so i could not see the leak
  • higienehigiene Member Posts: 2
    Easy fix! This happened to my mom's car after she had to get a jump on her battery. Try 2152. I'll repost later with some other codes which my dad found for FREE
  • jeffisujeffisu Member Posts: 7
    I assume you mean the cabin/AC air filter. It is on the firewall in the engine compartment on the far left (passenger side). It is behind a black plastic panel that's held on by one screw on the right side, has a wire or two coming out of hte middle. Remove this screw, and the panel will slide to the right and off. The air filter is located behind it - just pull it firmly out to remove, and insert the new one. Simple as that. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • mjgaylormjgaylor Member Posts: 2
    I tried that code and 2152 did not work. Please post others to try and I will try those as well.

Thanks!!!!!
  • martygeeozmartygeeoz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 model Nubira sedan with about 180k on the speedo. It actually hasn't been too much of a drama to own, certainly commutes well (despite having the A/C problem with the compressor that I recognised from previous posts on the website). But this problem I have now is causing no end of grief.

The engine warning light started coming on at around 150k. I took it to a friend I knew who owned one (as I mentioned it to a mechanic previously about the light, but the computer didn't bring up any codes and it didn't come on when they were looking at it), and he pointed out the idle regulator/motor as being the culprit. He took it out of the manifold and cleaned it up a bit, and it was fine for a while. I think the part's proper name is the Idle Air Control Valve? It's a small black plastic cylinder with a tap-like end that's held into the manifold by two allen screws (excuse my poor mechanic-ism).

A few thousand kms later it came back on. It only does it in traffic after the engine has been warmed up and I've been driving for about 15 mins or so (in warm temperatures). The idle sits up around 1200 - 1300. Another mechanic actually thought it was a problem with the part itself (the idle motor) and replaced it at considerable cost. This lasted about 5000km - no light, everything fine. Then it came on again, the engine started idling higher. The mechanic replaced the part again (no cost this time, assuming it might have been the part), but another 5000 or so kms later... it's baaack! The mechanic's next line of attack is to replaced the ECU with a reconditioned one ($600) - but I don't believe that will fix the problem. He rebooted the ECU when he replaced it before. And it's certainly not a problem with the part.

Any suggestions please? Any help will help me save what's left of my hair (and my wallet).

Martin
  • gpl71_azgpl71_az Member Posts: 2
    The car started fine this morning before I went to work. Went to start the car after lunch and it won't start. It appears as if there is no gas. Have full electical and engine cranks away.

Called the local mechanic and he came out to look. He ran a OBD check and said the crank shaft sensor has failed and needs to be replaced. He has towed my car to his shop to work on.

My Leganza has 81,400 miles. I had the timing belt and cam shaft sensor replaced at 59K. From time to time the car has given me a problem starting. Put the key in the ingintion and turn it and nothing. Take key out and put in ingnition again and it will then start. It's been a random issue happening more frquesntly this year.

Anybody have this problem with their Leganza?
  • jeffisujeffisu Member Posts: 7
    I have a 99 Leganza SX, 59k miles. I've had issues recently with it not starting, but the car would not even crank. It'd just sit and make a faint high pitched whine. Took it into the dealer, they checked the starter and other systems and they were fine, although they did trace it to the battery cables that had come a bit loose. Tightened them up and haven't seen the problem since. I had the battery replaced in 2002 at Sears, they recently tested it again and it was fine. Another thing to be aware of is the spark plugs are not platinum tipped, so they need to be replaced every 30k miles or so.
    I have a 1999 Daewoo Leganza and I just replaced a couple of hoses for my radiator. I replaced a bypass hose and the hose that goes into the water pump. After I did this my temperatur gauge does not move at all. It does not move off of the C symbol for Cold. I thought it might be my Thermostat being stuck open but this has happened before but it just took awhile for the teperatur gauge to move. Now it does not move off of the cold mark. Can someone help me with this issue?
  • pushrod2pushrod2 Member Posts: 1
    DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON THE TIMING MARKS FOR THIS CAR?? 1.6 DUAL OVERHEAD CAM 2000 DAEWOO LANOS- DESPERATE FOR RIDE. GOT CAR CHEAP BUT GOING THREW BULL???? TO GET RUNNING.ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
  • higienehigiene Member Posts: 2
    FREE CODES FOR EVERYONE! (and yes, this post introduction did deserve capslock)
    Quoting Customer Service @ Daewoo US:
    "Following are ten individual, 4 digit codes:
    4316, 2152, 4513, 4362, 1156, 2145, 3451, 6361, 5624, 5241

As you input each of these individual 4-digit security codes into your audio unit one at a time, using the station preset buttons, one of the codes should work for you.

IF NONE OF THESE SECURITY CODES WORK FOR YOUR AUDIO UNIT, you will need to do the following:
    1. Using a suitable trim removal tool, carefully remove the frame/trimplate that surrounds the audio unit.
    2. Remove the audio unit retaining screws.
    3. Slide the audio unit forward and look on top of the unit in the lower right hand corner. There, you will see a label with 10 numbers on it.
    4. E-mail us with this number and we will provide your code.

Also, please visit our web site at www.DaewooUS.com. After a short registration process, you will be able to order Genuine Daewoo Parts from us, check recall status specific to your vehicle, take advantage of Daewoo special promotions, etc.

Daewoo Customer Relations"

Hope it helps! (And no, I don't work for Daewoo)
  • raywooraywoo Member Posts: 16
    Just did a timing belt replacement on my 2000 daewoo lanos. the two overhead cam gears each have a timing mark on them, these must face one another. The crank shaft has a timing mark on it, it lines up with a mark in the oil pan flange, basically that mark is straight down. All of my valves were bent, make sure you check this, if the belt broke or was stripped, you have bent valves, theres no doubt.
    Email me if you have anymore questions on it.
    rayb16@juno.com
    Ray.
  • daskas27daskas27 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2001 Nubira with a bad engine. I know of a 2003 Nubira with a good engine that was totalled. Will the engine from the 2003 fit into my 2001? Thanks in advance. I am very happy to find this forum.

DasKas27
  • woolf1209woolf1209 Member Posts: 2
    replacing timing bely myself need torque specs on head and rods and mains woolf1209@sbcglobal.net
  • woolf1209woolf1209 Member Posts: 2
    replacing timing bely myself need torque specs on head and rods and mains woolf1209@sbcglobal.net for 2000 leganza
  • scininjascininja Member Posts: 2
    I've been having problems past month or so simply turning the key in the ignition, but up until today jiggling the key and reinserting the key continuously would eventually let me turn it. Perhaps all that was voodoo, i don't know. Today I sat on my driveway for 30 minutes just trying to turn the damn key with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to get my car towed over something so seemingly stupid. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

sam