Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ehamilto55ehamilto55 Member Posts: 57
    Does anyone that knows about Daewoo's even reply to people on this site? My experience with this forum has been unsuccesful. No one will reply to messages. this forum is a joke.
  • vulcan_bombervulcan_bomber Member Posts: 3
    New to this, so please be patient, I have acquired a 2001 Nubira CDX, the engine runs, the auto gear shift moves but nothing happens!

A recurring engine error code is 0342 (Camshaft Sensor)
    also another code which IIRC is 1081, but do not know where to find the extended codes (the manual with the code reader only goes up to 0999)
    It has had the transmission oil totally replaced.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Many thanks
    Rob
  • silvernubirasilvernubira Member Posts: 59
    It would be great if anybody posting about timing belt problems tell us when (miles and age) you had these problems.

TIA
  • hrtdochrtdoc Member Posts: 4
    Replace the timing belt at 60k. Also replace the water pump.
  • auntlillyauntlilly Member Posts: 1
    My TIMING BELT on my 1999 Nubira sedan JUST broke while I was driving about 15 miles per hour. It lost power, like it ran out of gas. Barely missed being rear-ended as I coasted to the shoulder on a busy street.It only has 52,000 miles on it. The mechanic says that 8 valves are bent!!!!! and the water pump is froze up. He thinks maybe the water pump went out, froze up which then caused the belt to break. It was crumpled and wrapped clear around the crank shaft. Lots of engine damage, too expensive to fix, parts are hard to get, etc. Could cost a few thousand. I'm screwed, I guess. I only had 4 payments left and it would have been paid off! I only owed $1,640. on it. I can't believe this. I am so bummed.....Any suggestions? Bummed in Missouri.....Aunt Lilly
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    You didn't follow the maintenance schedule per the owners manual? Most timing belts are 60K or 5 years, whichever comes first. Yours lasted 8 years.

Since you still owe on it, we must assume you purchased it used. Didn't you buy an extended warranty on the car? If you did, they may cover it if the cause of failure was the water pump.
  • podunk503podunk503 Member Posts: 45
    So I was driving my friend's awesome Daewoo the other night and the check engine light came on. The next da I took it in and found out cylinder 3 misfire. Bought new spark plugs didn't get wires right away another order item. So took wires off plugs and there is oil in there around every plug. Tried to clean as much out before taking plugs out then put new ones in started car and white smoke came out. Been driving around no other smoke and have not yet changed wires but car seems to be running great! Any ideas what may be going on with that oil by the plugs? Should we order the wires after all? White smoke, someone said blown head gasket but car runs better? Any help would be appreciated. OH, and also the check engine light has not gone off yet. Does it need to be reset or does it just take time?
  • ewebster1ewebster1 Member Posts: 37
    i have a 2001 daewoo nurbria they were not worth what they cost,we have had alot of problems with it one thing after another.at first it was the headlights ,then the air conditioner,then the brake lights just constantly,now it is the check engine light comes on and when you pull the hood up and check the oil and the oil level is ok and you shut the hood back up the check engine light goes off. all the recalls have been completed according to the the daewoo website on this car.as soon as it si humanlly possible we are getting rid of this car.it is paid for now so that would not be a problem just been totaled by our insurace company for hail damage estimated over $3,000 damage to fix it so it was totaled but we aree still driving it until we can get another car, we have alittle 60,000 miles on this car so it should not be giving us the problesm it has since we bought it.
  • hrtdochrtdoc Member Posts: 4
    It sounds like you cracked the head or the head gasket is leaking.
  • adam454ssadam454ss Member Posts: 4
    The tranny is a "sealed" unit and cannot be checked. The only way to make sure the level is good is to drain it from it's drain plug and refill it with proper tranny fluid. That's why they tell you to go to the dealership. I would go to any certfied shop and let them do it, cheaper rates.
    As for air filters go online to ebay. If you want a sporty look under the hood and more hp and fuel mialge go to Andysautosport.com for a ram air intake.
    I had my timing belt break as well. My car only had 35000 miles on it but it was 5 years old. I did buy the extended warrenty. It was about 3k to fix it. Since when it breaks it will destroy the cylinder head becuase the engine is a close talerance engine that the piston will "slap" into the intake exhaust valves and bend or break them.
    The cylinder head gasket will need to be replaced. Not hard to do yourself. You can buy it from ebay. I need to replace mine because one of my cylinders is doing the same thing. A friend was helping me ,mechanic, and noticed oil spurting from under the gasket into the spark plug area. I paid about $8 for gasket and $8 for shipping by UPS because of package size and being fragile.
    Hello
    I have a 2000 Daewoo Nubira. I have no spark coming from the plugs. Checked for spark in the usual way. Removed plug from motor hooked up plug wire, fround good ground and turned over engine, no spark.
    I thought it was the ignition coil. Changed that, still no spark. The only thing I can think it is is the camshaft position sensor. Since the engine is a DIS (distributor less Ignition System). I know how to get at the sensor and to replace it. But just want to make sure if there are other things to look for before spending $50.00 that I don't have to.
  • gurugeegurugee Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

i have a same car as you and the same problem. i too need the Vacuum hoses Picture. Id it possible to send me some of your pics then i will send you some of mine. so that we can work out something.

My one does 4KM per liter and its really bad.

Cheerz

Prasad
    prasadperera@hotmail.com
    is this very expensive to fix ? my daughter is driving the car and she lives alittle over 2 1/2 hrs away and there are no delaships around anywhere where she lives.what would cause this ?
    thanks
    have a question about the title to the daewoo it had been totaled due to a hailstorm back in april.there was money still owed on it and my insurance company paid the car off.as of now i have not received the title but the bank said the car had been paid off but they mailed the title to the insurance adjuster do i get the title or does the insurance adjuster keep the title how does this work there was no discussion about the title when we were discussing the settlement.i have tried calling him but keep getting his voicemail
    Here is a siter someone provided me with long ago in this forum. http://acdc-service.ru/leganza.php

Also I had a vacuum leak and I fixed it. The vacuum lines come out of the passengers side firewall. Closer to top of Firewall -- Kinda like it is going into the dash. There are 2 lines that come out and 1 goes to throttle body closer to middle. The other goes down to firewall area under fuel filter. Hope this helps. These vacuum hoses can be found at any parts store. You might have to buy couple feet and cut to specs. I do not have pictures of them but they are easy to find
  • isabellarose32isabellarose32 Member Posts: 3
    We just a bought a 2000 Daewoo Lanos 5 speed for our daughter. It runs great except for sometimes it idles really high. Sometimes turning on or off the A/C helps, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it happens. When it does happen it is when we are stopped at a light or stop sign. Once we get going it runs great. The other problem was there was no antenna, so we bought a universal one and still do not get very good reception. Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks!!!
    I would check the Vacuum hoses. Leaking Vacuum hose can cause the Daewoo to Idle higher. Coats Daewoo In California always has parts for Daewoo's and cheaper than any other dealership I have tried to get parts from.
  • wdoyle1980wdoyle1980 Member Posts: 1
    Is it a 5-spd manual or auto? if it's manual/standard, check that the CLUTCH switch is good. mine went at about 65K miles (depending on how much you move the clutch in/out... i moved it a lot). You can look down behind your clutch pedal, remove the switch, unplug the switch and bridge the switch with a paper-clip or segment of wire. after that, make sure the emergency brake is on and that the car is NOT IN GEAR. try to start the car.if it doesn't hesitate, then the switch is bad and needs to be replaced. if it still hesitates, put the switch back together and put it where you found it; something else is wrong. IMPORTANT!! when you bridge the switch, the car will ALWAYS think the clutch pedal is held in. so if you leave the car in gear and turn the key, the car will start and jerk along the road. you will no longer have to put in the clutch pedal to start the car.. this can be VERY dangerous and it is advised to replace that clutch switch as SOON as POSSIBLE>... good luck and let me know what you find.
    Hi this is so nice, i really do not know how to find the switch. under the clutch padel i only c some wires and fuses?

if you can show me the pic will be highly apreciate.

Thanks
  • magic69magic69 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have a 1998 daewoo lanos sx (1.6 petrol), I had no problems with it at all until my daughter reversed it on a curb, banged something and now it refuses to start even though it still tries to turn over. Loads of ppl have looked at it and are baffled. One mechanic said that it will probably be the fuel cutoff or some switch that needs reset but everyone is baffled as to where it is, and the manual I have doesnt even mention it.. Anyone got any ideas where it is or know of anything else it could be? I would gladly appreciate any help. Thankyou in advance :)
    Thanks, we will try it and see. It doesn't idle high all the time, just periodically. We will let you know!! :)
  • altnuttaltnutt Member Posts: 1
    I know other people have had the same problem because all around town when I see a Leganza the dash has lifted up. I really need help on this so could anyone tell me how to get that dash back down? What works, Glue? Please send me a message or email I will send a prize.

altnutt@hotmail.com
    :cry: Same here on the front Door pannel recxing lifted up?
    hi<
    please help me to find the Cluch Switch?

I really do not know where is it, i check under the padel but i only c some wires.

Thank you
    thank you it was so useful link, but i really do not know how to find the vacuum lines, if you can please send me a picture. its terreble for me to drive this with fuel wastage.

tkx

Sri lanka
    I enclosed some pics under below link please check that and let me know what is wrong with my engine it does only 12 KM galoon, its terryble. pleaae help.
    i am the second owner and i saw some valves are cut n closed, whay is that? and some are just open.

check the pictures i marked all the doubts. :cry:
    link title

http://rapidshare.com/files/39010574/Leganza_sri_Lanka.zip

repl me Prasadperera@hotmail.com too
  • sherry123sherry123 Member Posts: 15
    The fuel cut off is the little black unmarked button beside the driver's seat. I believe that is your problem
    hi,
    i did not get this, please repeat it, if you can show me the picture marking this thing. i really want to fix this please help. wher is black unmarked button ???? :cry:
  • kenguntherkengunther Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'm trying to help my brother in law put a 1999 Leganza head back on. Can someone look up the torque specs in a manual for us?

Thanks, Ken
  • jeffisujeffisu Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info.. it's an automatic, though. 99 Leganza SX.
  • rags83rags83 Member Posts: 5
    If you haven't had the timing belt checked I'd try that first? That's what my leganza was doing and it cost me an engine.
    Every timing belt that has broken on the ones I personally know about has done so at or around 60,000 miles. Mine personally made it to 82,500. When they replace it, make them replace the tensioner and idler pulley/bearings as well. My belt broke, cost me a head and all the stuff that goes with it, 500 miles later the belt spun off doing the same thing because they didn't replace the tensioner and pulley's like I asked them too. Said it wasn't necessary. It is. All parts are on online and easy to get. I saved about $400 dollars getting the parts myself, most of them with the warranties.
    Just had new timing gear and head put on my car. Check engine light came on shortly thereafter. Put my scanner on it and it said cylinder two was misfiring. My number two fuel injector was clogged and I had to replace it. If you checked your wires and plugs that's one of the few options left. Maybe that helps you a little.
    Hi,

i am havin vaccum hose problem in my Daewoo leganza 2000 DOHC, if you have the same car can you please send me some close pics of hoses and valve, vaccum system.

Thank you

Prasad :sick:
    Well, I checked the whole car out and so did loads of other people, I still don't see any black button (marked or unmarked) :cry: This car is driving me insane! :mad: Please let me know if you ever find that button! :confuse:
  • jdwisjdwis Member Posts: 3
    I have Leganza & had somewhat similar problem, the switch - Fuel Cut-off switch is the safety switch fixed in many of cars.. in Leganza this switch is on the right side of driving seat, near the end of the seat, just below the end of the driver's safety belt (I drive right hand side vehicle - UK style). In accidents, just to prevent the car to get more fuel, this switch will cut off the Fuel Pump power so Pump doesnt work and no more fuel taken out from the tank - just a precaution to prevent it from fire....
    This is a mechanical switch, has a Ball-bearing & a magnet in it which actually does the connection, once the car bangs or if there is a big thud on the car, that will release the bearing from it connection, and works as OFF condition... I have no idea about Lanos but think it should be similar... this switch has a black rubber on its top as cover... rest is hidden under the carpet, so its hard to notice it...
    So after the bang or thud, if you think its ok to start the car and if it doesnt... if it just cranks and doesnt start... try following things...

make sure all elecronic equipments - radio, lights etc are off... switch off the car completely.... just dont remove the key... wait for 10 sec.... press the top - rubber part of the switch ... if it goes inside and gives a click - means the switch was cutoff... wait for another 10 sec... switch on the car... try to run it... it should...

let me know...
  • sherry123sherry123 Member Posts: 15
    if you are in US, sit in the drivers seat, look to your left beside the seat. it is a black depression (not a knob) right next to the knob that adjusts your seat near the trim for the door opening
    email me sherrmorr@aol.com if u still cant find it or talk to a daewoo dealer
    Ok I drove my daughter's Daewoo Lanos (2000, 5-speed) up to the stop sign, it clacked (quietly) a few times and the car died, wouldn't restart. The timing belt is still on and snug, but doesn't turn when the key is turned. The car will try and move when in gear, and clutch is released, it just won't turn over. Anyone else with this problem?? I don't know of any mechanics in NW Arkansas. :sick:
  • heybabyoneheybabyone Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my 2000 Leganza started to act up on me. It would not shift out of park without puting the key in the shiftlock and starting it that way. What could be the possible problems. I have not had any problems before this.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Brake pedal switch is bad.
  • scootritebyscootriteby Member Posts: 2
    What fuses do I need to check(dash and under hood)....also, is there a type of speed relay switch hidden under the dash that might have a fuse that is blown? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • robinwouldrobinwould Member Posts: 2
    I have a '99 Leganza. Its not getting fuel & I'm convinced the cut off switch has gone bad. It seems to be set correctly because I can't depress it. I only spent $800.00 on this car & don't wanna drop a wad on a switch. Will it run it I by pass the switch?

PS SRY this post was not on the 'fuel management' page, my first time on the board
  • arigarig Member Posts: 4
    problems:
    seat cover off
    breaks failed
    left signal light is hanging of
    suspension collapsed
    stearing column jammed
    fuel light blow
    and dunno wat to expect next
  • wallstreetguywallstreetguy Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with a Daewoo Leganza. I had a lot of oil in the spark plug area. My first thought was that it was leaking thru the valve cover gasket so I ordered one on the internet. I cleaned up the oil and replace the gasket. It was still leaking oil. I did an google search and found out that another person had the same problem. He replaced the oil cap and it stopped. I purchase one at Kragen and the oil leak stopped when I replaced the oil cap.

On the check engine light, disconnecting the battery for ten minutes will normally reset the light unless the problem still exist. As far as a blown head gasket, some of the signs are coolant loss, a lot of white smoke and overheating of engine.

If you are mechanically incline, you can do a compression test on each cylinder and a cylinder leak test and that will tell you if you have a bad head gasket.
  • louworldlouworld Member Posts: 1
    I have 2000 Nubira timming belt broke I replace Head cam sensor khock sensor plugs wires coil pack waterpump adjusters Runs fine driving down the road but when you stop
    and idle in gear sometimes it misses bad it does it alot but
    not all the time I allso checked for vaccum leaks Thank you
  • lilgirllilgirl Member Posts: 1
    i just got a 1998 Daewoo Lanos SX Auto 5 days ago and, although i know to expect certain problems with a used car, this is my first UK car and my first car with less than 6 cylinders... this one is a 4 i believe(only 4 spark plugs, so...)but a few things have happened the past 2 days that have me wondering if i`m going to need some major repairs...

a few days ago, when trying to use the power button, the car started smoking horribly, and i thought for sure that i had blown the head gasket... once home, i looked and found oil all over the front part of the engine, and puddled on the head around the spark plug wires... after cleaning it all off and checking the gasket to see if it was leaking, i saw there was no leak at all... after checking a few other places, i came to the conclusion that trying to use the power button when the rad was low created alot of pressure which popped the oil dipstick out and the oil spewed out of there, was blown by the fans to the engine... is this possible? i`ve never had or heard of it happening in the 20 years i`ve been driving...today, it started making a noise (like the sound you`d get when you put a playing card in the spokes of a bike tire...)it`s louder under the car and seems to be coming from the oil pan...is this a sign that the engine is shot or...? the oil level is fine and the engine light never came on...it just sounds like something caught in the blades of a fan but i have checked thoroughly and there isn`t anything there...can anyone help? i`ve ordered the repair manual from ebay, just waiting for it to come in the post, but i really would like to know if driving it while its making that sound is going to cause engine damage...
    Hi and thanks for all the info, but unfortunately the only black rubber things that are near the bottom of the drivers side seatbelt are a row of six what look like rubber buttons. On trying to push these though, I realised that they are only rubber stoppers like the ones that cover the holes for the wiring harness. These stoppers run along from the back seat right to the front inline with the door hinge... so... still baffled :confuse: :(
  • scootritebyscootriteby Member Posts: 2
    I have a nubira that was run out of oil that was making a rattling sound(like you are describing-sounded like a fan blade hitting something or loose manifold guard). I had to replace my motor....hopefully, that is not what is wrong with yours, but you might check the dipstick and see if it is clean or if there are scorch-like marks on it. The latter is a good indication of the motor running low on oil at sometime or other....