Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tiburon

Comments

• jhpmichealjhpmicheal Member Posts: 14
    I have manual v6 Tiburon, and I have 54,700 miles on it. I don't notice any problem with the clutch, except having the clutch checkup a year ago. Maybe preventing the clutch meltdown has a lot to do with the clutch issues over there. There is a similar problem with Jetta 1.8T, Celica GTS, even the sweet mx-5. I have slight after-market parts on it (exhaust, intake, headers, etc), gaining around 30+ horses. Giving more stress to the clutch. I previously owned dsm car, but my job is a long way from my home taking dsm and myself in a bad shape. I switched to Tiburon GT with an unexpected quality. All of my friends agree this is a Hyundai like no other. hehe, considering my first hyundai, the driving experience wasn't that bad. I'm no car expert but stick cars has to replace the clutch sometime during 5 years depending how you drive. The only problem with the car is that there is too much weight and too little horses. Why buy this car? the good looks, highway handling, the warranty, and the price.
  • adalanteadalante Member Posts: 2
    Hi jhpmicheal,

Greetings from Australia, I have been reading the stories about the faulty clutches on Tiburons with interest. I have a 2003 V6 6spd and and the reason I am looking at the forum is that my clutch has also failed. My car has travelled 95000km which I think translates to around 60000 miles, I thought that was a ridiculously short life for a clutch.

The trouble started when I couldn't select reverse with the engine running and in a matter of 1000 miles I couldn't select any gears. I took my car to the local Hyundai dealer and they stated to me that the clutch wasn't covered under warranty because it was a consumable like brake pads. The hairs on my neck bristled, I said to the dealer that when a clutch wears out it slips, this clutch wasn't releasing and it was an obvious mechanical failure of some kind and should be covered under warranty, it was as if the pedal free play was too large not letting the clutch release.

My other car is a Mitsubishi Magna V6 ( I think they're called Diamantina in the US) its a 5 speed manual with 185,000km on the clock (I think around 110,000 miles and I still tow my Catalina 22 trail able yacht behind it). No sign of clutch slippage yet. I mentioned this to the dealer then asked them how long do they think a clutch should last. Not much was said.

To their credit Hyundai have accepted liability on this and the car is being repaired (new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel) under warranty (phew). I was told that there were metal quality problems with the dual mass flywheel and it was a known problem ( why didn't he tell me that in the first place and why were they so quick so say it wasn't covered under warranty?). I do feel though that if I hadn't challenged the dealer they would have happily let me pay for the repair.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and the way it drives but I must admit I'm a little concerned about keeping it and wonder if the problem with clutch and flywheel has been truly resolved.

In 2005 I certainly would accept a clutch failure within the warranty period of a car, if you have the same problem don't accept it. Give the dealer a hard time and see your consumers association or auto club for support. If a manufacturer offers 5 years warranty then that's what it should be, clutch included. The clutch is a very expensive major system in a car, it's not like brake shoes that can be easily exchanged and the manufacturers know this. A press review stating a 60,000mile life span for a Tib clutch with no warranty cover and a $3000+ repair bill (flywheel included) would certainly slow down sales.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Enjoy your Tibbys I know I do.

Joe
  • sdiggessdigges Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a Sonota, Santa Fe, and a GT Tiburon, I haven't had any major problems with any of them other than the clutch on my Tiburon, I took it in for service 3 times due to it slipping. Of course, the dealer didn't find anything wrong. I think its clear that Hyundai puts crappy clutches in the tiburon but they are fine for everyday driving, they can't handle the torque the engine puts out when driven really hard. I took my car to Cottmans to have the Clutch replaced and it cost about $600.00 and they gave me a free loaner. I put a Greddy stainless exhaust, a limited slip Kit, and Cold air Intake on my tiburon. Your not going to get a better car with better performance for your money. The clutch is the only real problem on the car but only if you really like to push it. I reccomend putting an upgraded racing clutch in the Tiburons, it may cost a little more but it's worth it. Also, make sure you have the flywheel looked at, if its burned up or needs turning, replacing the clutch isn't going to help, if this is the case, find a goog Aluminum flywheel, this will give you even better performance.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Joe,

You may have a faulty slave cylinder. Have that checked out. I assume that would be covered under warranty.

Loren
  • tiburonturbo83tiburonturbo83 Member Posts: 2
    i'm getting a turbo kit for my tiburon (01') i was wondering what internals i should look at first so i can run a higher boost, and possibly a place that i could find them
  • 0304tiburon0304tiburon Member Posts: 3
    I have a tiburon that was made on jun/23/03, it was sold to me as a 2004. Knowing that there might have been some time with shipment, i took is as a 2004. I bought it in May 2004. Now the question, is my car a 2003 or a 2004 is there any way of finding out.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Umm..what did the car sticker say that came with your car? It will specify the year of your car and the VIN # so you can verify it belongs to your car.
    The car didnt have a sticker when i bought the car...here in Saskatchewan, Canada, there is only two dealerships, one in Regina and the other in Saskatoon. I have noticed that both dealerships sell their vehicles with no window stickers on them. Is there a place where i can call to get information on the difference????
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Check your VIN #. The tenth digit is what year car you have.
  • adalanteadalante Member Posts: 2
    Hi Loren,

That's what I thought the problem was but appearently not. I have had the car back for a fortnight and it runs like a treat, the new clutch is much lighter.

Now a happy camper.

Joe
  • smanningsmanning Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Tiburon. Does anyone know if the front bumper where a plate is to go, comes with the holes already drilled in or if it comes with just divets in it to be drilled in? In Nova Scotia we don't need front plates, and my dealer put one of theirs on as advertisement prior to my picking up the car. Needless to say I was not happy and told them to take it off. The screws they put in our now rusting and look dreadful on my new car... and I want it fixed. So do they come already drilled, and need the screws or did they drill holes in my brand new car?
    Yeah they just drilled holes in you brand new car....the car had divots that they drilled out for the front plate
  • smanningsmanning Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for responding. The dealership has since agreed to fix the problem by replacing the bumper I assume. Now if only they could fix the rattle in the trunk that has been there since the day I drove it off the lot, I would be happy. It has been in 8 times now, and still rattles away. We thought it was fixed... but lo and behold.

Thanks again
  • drivingtoaddrivingtoad Member Posts: 1
    I am having a popping sound come from uderneath my car when i shift in low gears, or when i press on the gas to acceralate from stop. any clue what it might be.... 2003 tiburon.

Dealership has no clue. need to take it back for a while freakin day for them to look at
  • claireclaire Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my Tiburon in January of 2004 as a holdover. I began to experience problems at 2400 miles. There was a shimmy and it pulled to the left when braking at 50 mph. The fix was to grind the rotors and put more air in the tires. Then at 6000 miles I lost all power and stalled on a busy street. I was stranded and had to have it towed. The fix was to replace a faulty battery. I then had problems with the front windshield fogging and still have that problem. Then I again had to be towed due to a faulty battery at 7000 miles. I attempted at this time to trade it but they wouldn't deal with me. I had to have the moon roof adjusted due to air noise. The locking mechanism on the drivers door had to be replaced. The latch on the gas cover wouldn't release. The car is now in litigation for the lemon law. Today I had it in so Hyundai's people could check the car out and they told me the alternator needs to be replaced. I've been telling them this for months. The car has 19000 miles on it and continues to be a thorn in my side. Has anyone else had problems like this?
  • jeffcjeffc Member Posts: 16
    The owners manual states that if you unlock the doors using the inside mechanism, it will unlock both doors. I just purchased a 2005 GT with auto for my wife and when cleaning it up last night, I noticed that when I tried to unlock the doors via that method, only the drivers door would unlock. I dropped by the dealership and tried 2 of the cars there, and they both did the same thing.

Is there a trick to this?

BTW, we love the car. This is the 4th Hyundai we have purchased, and we have never had any real problems with any of them ( 2000 Accent/2001 Sonata/2002 Sante Fe). If all goes well, maybe I will pick one up with a manual tranny for myself. Ours stickered for $20,899 and we got it for $17,799. They had one earlier that stickered for $22,154 that we could have got for $18,600 but it was sold by the time we returned.
  • stacil97stacil97 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 tiburon, and when I turn the ac on I start coughing to the point I have to shut it off. There is no odor. This has never happened before. I called the service department of the dealership. They said it might be mold growing in the condenser. And would cost me $130 to flush the ac out. Shouldn't this be covered under the warranty? And has any body ever heard of such a thing?
  • beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    stacil: I live in Florida, mould capitol of the world. Warranty will not cover this. However IF you have a decent dealer they shoul at least take a whack @ the problem @ no charge. $130.00 to "flush it out" is a rip-off !!

One remedy I have used in the past is to turn on the A / C, set it on "outside air" and spray a whole can (small size) of "Lysol" into the air intake below the wind shield. This usually will clear the problem at least for awhile. The mould thrives on high humidy and temp (ala Florida) but generally is only a problem during the hottest summer months. I don't know where you live but the problem will eventually clear up. The auto stores also have some sprays just for this purpose but the Lysol has worked pretty well for me and is a lot cheaper too.

Believer
  • kinghedmankinghedman Member Posts: 2
    My first car was a 96 accent: 150,000 miles no problems. Then I bought the tiburon in 03 and thought it was great for about a year until the problems started happening (clutch, power doorlocks and windows, etc...) I thought that because the tiburon was totally redone for 03 that maybe there were some bugs that needed to be worked out. I traded in the 03 for an 05 V6 Special Edition. That was the answer. The 05 is a much better car. All the problems I had with the 03 have been fixed for the 05. I am very happy with the tiburon, it's fun to drive, looks great, didn't cost much and I never have any trouble embarasing people when they try to race me. The tiburon is an excellent car, the days of the crappy hyundai are over.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I was wondering when someone was gonna chime in on how they like their '05 Hyundai Tiburon! Here we are! I test drove two '03 Hyundai Tiburon 5-speed base models and liked them a lot. I have read about some of the quality bugs and your post above explains how Hyundai has made progress. Good deal-I sure liked how the Tibby rounded the corners on my test drives-a great handling little rig that you sit down low in. May very well be the best looking coupe (along with the Scion tC) on the market as I type this, too. Enjoy it, kinghedman, and post more information on how you're digging your '05 Hyundai Tiburon while you're at it, OK? ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• turbo_tibturbo_tib Member Posts: 1
    well i was reading through the forum and i read that if you increase the hp to over 210 that the internals will fail in the tiburon, i was woundering if this is true because apexi builds a twin turbo kit for the tiburon that puts it up to 380hp and it says that there are no internal modifications needed. now this kit is going to be a major investment and i don't want to waste my money so any info would be greatly appreciated
    Or the Tibby's 4-cylinder engine? I have heard of people failing with turbocharging the V6 and damaging the motor internals big-time. Then again, on the 4-cylinder it was working well. Anyone else have the info.on this issue? We could use an update on it.

• kinghedmankinghedman Member Posts: 2
    I had an 03 tiburon gt and everything was great for about 20 K miles, then I had all the same problems that every one else is talking about: clutch, door locks, rattling, etc... I traded it for the 05 Tiburon V6 Special Edition. This is a much nicer car, built a lot stronger. I wrote a two page letter to the dealer explaining that this is my third hyundai and unless they want to lose a loyal customer, they had better do something for me. After a few meetings with executives at the dealership, I ended up with a brand new 05 tiburon for less than I paid for the 03. Voicing your opinion can be very useful just make sure the right people are hearing you.

To anyone out there who is having problems with their 2003 tiburon, don't give up hope, the 2005 is a solid car - all the 03's problems have been addressed along with some very welcome aesthetic improvements. Maybe they just needed a year or two to work out the kinks.
  • claireclaire Member Posts: 3
    I am not only unhappy with the car but with the dealerships I've dealt with. I've been treated like I know nothing and in the end I was right about the problem. Took Hyundai's Inspectors to find it. I have parked the car until the litigation is over for the lemon law and bought a new Subaru B9 Tribeca and am thrilled with this vehicle.
  • sprchrgdtibsprchrgdtib Member Posts: 3
    sorry i know this is off topic but i have a 03 gtv6 tiburon that is supercharged, tonight i was comeing home from work, not hotroding the car at all. and all of a sudden the top bolt on my passenger side rear strut mount straight rip clean out through the mount, which of course kicked out the rear end straight in to a curb, at 40 mph destroying my rim/ tire/ strut/ and swaybar, i mean the strut mount just shattered. ive heard of the 03s having problems, but only elct. never suspension. has this happened to anyone else or am i just a victom of a freak ocurrance
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    It probably never happened to a normally aspirated Tib. With the increased torque from a SC the suspension and drivetrain are bound to show their weak links. The damage didnt have to happen when you were just tooling along, it may have happened earlier.
    Yes i do know what that "popping" sound is, and beware that sound just threw me into a curb at 30mph last night. The passenger side rear strut. On my while going around a corner the top bolt decided to leave, but not before tearing the surrounding metal completely apart and putting my car in to a in-correctable tail slide right in to a curb screwing god only knows what else up. so if i were you i would double check all you suspension and mou8nting bolts. mine was only finger tight------from the lot with 9000miles---- so becarefull and dont hot rod the corners
    hope this helps somebody before their car gets hosed
    i guess that actually makes sense i never thought jumping it to 372 fptq would affect the suspension that hard, but oh-well john elway subaru sold it to me with 96000 mile warnt. including my SC, and race clutch so looks like they are gonna fottin a big bill thnx for the reply
  • alivein05alivein05 Member Posts: 4
    does any body know where i could get a single turbo and how do you know if it voids the warranty for my '05? its got the 2.0 liter and a five speed
  • ai3xskcai3xskc Member Posts: 16
    kinghedman,

I can't provide any opinions on an 03 or 04 tiburon but I do concur regarding the quality of the 05 Tiburon. I can't be too over-confident on its reliability because I only have little over 5000kms on the car (I traded in my 00 sonata @ ~150K, which by the way was a solid vehicle) but I am very satisfied with the car. Hopefully, it'll be as reliable as my sonata.

Needless to say, I do have complaints. The car revs too high on the highway. I have a manual for the I4 and at 100km/h, the car is revving at little less than 3000RPM. In general, 120km/h is the norm on the highway but having the car rev at 3400RPM is neither good on the gas nor is it good on the cabin noise. I wonder how the V6 is in regards to RPM on the highway? The other complaint I have is that, and I'm pretty sure that it's the consensus among I4 owners, the car is slow. I know that the I4 has tons of potential in terms of "modding" but the cost associated with all the aftermarket parts, which by the way are mostly from the states or korea, and the potential hassle that you may run into when servicing your vehicle under warranty is just a HUGE deterrent. However, if you're interested in aftermarket stuff, there are lots of communities, both in the US and Korea (I won't name them here because of forum rules).

Other than the two complaints from above, I'm very satisfied with my tib. It's gonna be big test for my tib since I'm in Ottawa now for school, and our nation's capital is known for its frigid and snowy winters.

For prospective tiburon buyers, I sincerely recommend the tiburon. As long as you're not planning on a cross-country trip, I think the Tiburon should be placed among the top of list for those budget-conscious buyers in the sports compact market. If anyone needs anymore convincing, drop me a message and I'll do my best :)

Steve
  • momofteengirlsmomofteengirls Member Posts: 1
    My daughter was given this car for her 16th Birthday. We checked it out throughly prior to purchasing it. It was brand new with 14 miles on it when purchased. There have been the typical recalls and repairs. Just 6 months ago (give or take a few) they replaced all of her asles because the car was shakin out of control. We had complained about this for ALONG time and finally there was no denying there was a problem.
    Today while on her way to college, 5 blocks from the house, her car went out of control at 40mph (as per witnesses) hit a center median and propelled its self into the air rolling 4 to 5 time landing on the sidewalk on the other side of the street.
    I am demanding and investigation of the front end of the car. My daughter sustained moderate injuries.
    BUT in defense of the car, it also saved her life. The passenger compartment of this car sustained NO DAMAGE, the side airbags deployed and I believe saved her head from hitting the pavement.
    Will I buy another Tiburon NO we have had to many steering problems.
    IF THERE IS ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM Please I beg of you contact me. My daughter is 18 years old and by the graces of god she could have been taken.... please let me know if you have had these problems. email me at : momofteengirls@aol.com... thanks
  • thinkinofbuyinthinkinofbuyin Member Posts: 2
    I currently have an 2001 Ford Focus, which I hate- but it was the best option to build credit with the Hyndai, Izusu, Chevy dealership. I've had the car for a 1 1/2 years, and feel that its time for the dealership to allow me to trade. I really like the look of the '06 Tib, which is going for about 17,000 there. Does anyone out there know how great the car is. Been reading up on the forum messages, so I know NOT to get an '03 or an '04, and I also know the best way to go with these cars is an automatic. Any additional info would be very helpful. My Ford has been a nightmare, I'd like to wake up soon. THANKS!
  • wronskywronsky Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 V6 automatic. First battery died after 13 months. Dealer replaced battery and alternator at no charge. Second battery died after 13 months. Dealer charged almost $50.00 to replace it, as replacement battery had only a 12 month free replacement warranty. Told it was HYUNDAI policy, not to be appealed. In addition, was warned that my front brake pads needed to be replaced immediately to avoid possible failure and need to resurface rotors. Diagnosis apparently based on mileage (40K), as wheels were not removed from car for inspection. Since I had spent the better part of the day waiting for the battery to be changed, I told the service manager I'd wait on the brake job until my next regular service visit. Took the car to my neighborhood PEP BOYS the next day. They took the wheels off and told me they'd be happy to replace the brakes if I insisted, but there was no reason to do so. This is my third HYUNDAI, and I love it, but it may be my last.
  • sharkboysharkboy Member Posts: 1
    Its like im reading a post that i woulda of put if i still had my 01 focus .I just bought a 06 tib v6limited and traded in my focus your right they are a nickle and dime nightmare so many little things go wrong witht hem it an anoying car to own. but the tib is realy nice Ive been reading about the 03's.what a drag. i hope i dont have same problem but ill keep u updated if it dose . question why do u say automatics are the best way to go. ive owned 5 speeds and found that there the best way to regululate gas milage and performance is with manual.but just get rid of that heap u call a focus yuck!
    does anybody know if the blower motors of the 05 have any problems? i had to take mine out cause of a clicking noise and didn't fine anything wrong w/it. would you please let me know if you have same problem
  • jck1jck1 Member Posts: 3
    I had that happen in my 04 last Fall. Took it to the dealer who said a leaf/twig had gotten into the fan. They cleaned it out and I was good to go.
  • thinkinofbuyinthinkinofbuyin Member Posts: 2
    dear sharkboy, thank you for the response- I waited forever for someone to get back with me. Some of the old postings state that Tibs have been terrible with transmission problems/clutches going out without warning- I myself enjoy driving a stick shift (I'm a busy bee), but it sounds like the best way to curb problems with these cars.
    Yea thats what I thought too but I took it out at word and nothing is in there, i thought bearings or brushes but i think im going to take it in and have them look at it. I have another question, I have a small rust spot on my trunk under the lock cylinder and i'm a parts production manager at a body shop and the painter said he would take care of it cause he owes me a faver but if he does it will it void the warranty if i don' go the dealership first?
  • momwithsonmomwithson Member Posts: 1
    Help...My son's 2005 tiburon's clutch is out with only 3000 miles. The dealership is telling me it is not covered by warrenty due to his driving. They are going by the wear on his tires. I feel like a clutch should not go out on a vehicle with only 3000 miles. I noticed a burning smell when I first bought it, but thought it was just the new burning off a belt. When I was following him to the dealership I could smell the same burning smell. Please someone, give me some advise. :mad:
    I also have an 05 5speed and had the burning smell as well although it is just the clutch breaking in, and i have 7000 miles on it and it still feels like new. the only thing that i can think of is that the problem is (dumping the clutch) to get the tires to lite up which also puts the clutch under a huge amount to stress causing it to go out. sorry if this doesn't help but its the only advise i have
  • bilhaibilhai Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 tib and the clutch has burnt out now twice. It is a definete problem. The first one went out at 10500 and now the second one is going at 24000. This is just not right. The first one I was told had a defective fly wheel. I would demend they fix it. I don't beleive the clutch is high performance enough for the car.They are just looking for excuses.
  • tibucraptibucrap Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I bought a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon right when they came out, I immediately had problems with the vacuum system leaking, 3 trips to the dealer and 6 months later i got it fixed, under warranty so its not that bad. Next, my CD player went out started eating CD's. The car was one year old when that happened. The dealership himmed and hawwed but replaced it no charge. This brings us to today. I have 25,000 on a 2003, I stored it for a year, and the clutch is gone. I've been driving manuals for 10 years and have a commercial stick shift truck for work, I know how to drive. The dealership refused to replace it and tried to charge me $1,500, I left. Took the car over to a local shop my friend works at, $650 later i had a new clutch. Now the fun part begins. If you reread i stated its a 2003, manufacture stamp says 11/20/2002 and carfax says its an 03. After taking it to a "unaffiliated" shop, the mechanic flipped out cause everything under the hood is `01! Im writing this in hopes that someone else had this problem, Its to late to start doing anything about it tonight, but first thing tomorrow im taking it in to the dealer. I know the 01's had clutch problems so thats why I bought an `03, if you had this problem or know of it, please, Im gonna need a lot of help here.
    Thanks
  • smokintibbysmokintibby Member Posts: 1
    I know the clutches for the tibby aren't that good mine just went out over night no warning it is completely shot so I am ordering a ACT (advanced clutch technology) stage 2 clutch it is cheaper then going to the dealer they are outrageous pricing and with them they are putting the same old clutch back in. If u are going to get a new one go with performance and u will have a way better time and if u have the money put in a light weight fly wheel better acceleration and throttle response thats what i'm doin and it only weighs 9.5 lbs where the stock one weighs about 30 somethinbig difference and since the clutch isn't under warranty whats it matter it doesn't hurt the rest of the cars warranty just have it done by a certified shop and you'll be good.
  • dcox3dcox3 Member Posts: 1
    Really interesting. After reading all of the posts about this stupid car, the "2003 tiburon", I realized that once my front brakes went out twice, the 6-spd tranny went out, then the front windshield started leaking into the infinity stereo, which then stopped working only to send a screeching sound every once in a while all on its own, next the sunroof broke, oh, and the clutch went out as well, along with the gas tank recall. I went to the dealer only to get turned away, because after all was said and done "it was under warranty after all RIGHT! Well I spent hours upon hours from work dealing with this piece of crap. So, I decided to sue Hyundai Motor Corporation and the dealer that sold me the car. After 3 months they decided that it wasn't worth the cost and provided me with the Tiburon of choice which, I took up a 2005 SE with the package 10 option. So far after 2500 miles it seems to be doing just fine. But we will see....... www.consumerlaw.com is the place to go about the California lemon laws.....

Wishing myself and everyone else LUCK....... :lemon:
    your situation will be interesting to see if Hyundai has improved the Tibby. I'm thinking they have and your driving experience will smooth out a lot now. Keep us all posted, OK?

• jerzychicjerzychic Member Posts: 1
    I've looked everywhere for a polyeurithane body kit for my 2001 tib, but nobody makes them, they're all fiberglass. I welcome any suggestions, but remember I don't want fiberglass (I already have that one and hate how it fits)
  • wronskywronsky Member Posts: 3
    After checking out the hatchback coupes at the Miami auto show, I still liked the Tiburon better than anything else currently available, at any price. This forum helped me realize that my 2003 Tiburon was probably not a "keeper", so I rationalized my way into buying a 2006, with beige leather interior, six-disc CD player, climate control, 17" wheels, etc. Same brand, different dealer because of my previous experience with the service manager. No regrets so far, in fact I'm delighted with my purchase.
  • ai3xskcai3xskc Member Posts: 16
    I have a 05 Tiburon 5spd and I don't have any problems with my car. Mind you I only have about 9000kms on it but I learned manual on this car and I've grinded it MANY times and stalled it countless number of times. I also read other Tiburon forums and no one seems to be having any clutch problems on the 05/06 Tiburons. Maybe it's a defect.

The car is great but I do have one little gripe. I noticed that there is a rattle that's coming out of my trunk that's sort of annoying. It may be due to the cold weather (Ottawa, Canada) but still, a new car shouldn't be rattling. Previously, I owned a 2000 Sonata with over 150K on it and it didn't have a single rattle. Overall, the Tiburon is an amazing car, though I love the new Sonata too. By the way, the new Sonata and Azera won the AJAC award in their category (Family car under $35K and over $35K)

Steve
  • wally04wally04 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Tiburon FX. (knock on wood) so far no big problems. Anyway, I recently left my lights on and my battery died. I got a jump from someone and everything has been fine except my car alarm. It's the stock car alarm. Since I got a jump, my car alarm does not work. The little red alarm light that is on my dashboard is constantly on. And the really strange this is now when I start my car, my doors lock, and when I turn my car off, the doors unlock. The locks never did this before and everyone is baffled. I know it is not the maxi fuse, because my car doesn't have one. Any suggestions? I've called dealerships and they have no clue, but are willing to work on my car at $98 an hour. :confuse:
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    When you jumped the car you probably damaged the ECM (Electronic Control Module). If you didnt jump it correctly (polarity) that could cause damage. The dealer would probably swap out the ECM, verify its fixed and charge you for a new ECM. You could also find one used for a few hundred dollars. Here is the troubleshooting procedure from the Hyundai Webtech site. At the very bottom in the alarm section they refer to the ETACS module. Its this module that controls most of the functions:

SERVICE MANUAL
    Applies to: Tiburon 1998-2000
    GROUP
    Body Electrical System General

TROUBLESHOOTING

ALARM
    Symptom
    Possible cause
    Remedy

The system is not armed
    (The siren doesn't sound)
    Transmitter faulty
    Replace the transmitter

Receiver faulty
    Replace the receiver

Damaged or disconnected wiring of door switch input circuit
    Repair the harness

ETACS module faulty
    Replace the ETACS module

The siren sounds in error when a door or trunk lid is unlocked by using the key while the system is armed
    Damaged or disconnected wiring of a door key cylinder and trunk lid key cylinder switch input circuit
    Repair the harness or replace a door key cylinder and the trunk lid key cylinder switch

ETACS module faulty
    Replace the ETACS module

Engine does not start in disarm state
    Burglar alarm relay faulty
    Replace the burglar alarm relay

Damage or disconnected wiring of burglar alarm relay activation circuit
    Repair the harness

Malfunction of the ETACS module
    Replace the ETACS module

There is no alarm when, as an alarm test, a door is opened without using the key
    (The arming and disarming are normal, and the alarm is activated when the trunk lid or hood is opened.)
    Damaged or disconnected wiring of door switch (all doors) input circuit
    Repair the harness or replace the door switch

Malfunction of the door switch

Replace the ETACS module

There is no alarm when, as an alarm test, the trunk lid is opened without using the key.
    (The alarm is activated, however, by opening a door or the hood)
    Damaged or disconnected wiring of luggage compartment light switch input circuit
    Repair the harness or replace the luggage compartment light switch

Malfunction of the luggage compartment light switch

Replace the ETACS module

There is no alarm when, as an alarm test the hood is opened from within the vehicle
    (The alarm is activated, however, by opening a door or the lid)
    Damaged or disconnected wiring of hood switch input circuit
    Repair the harness or replace the hood switch

Malfunction of the hood switch

Replace the ETACS module