Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tiburon

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Great idea! Put the 3.3 V6 in there at around 233HP, then advertise it against the Mustang V6. Considering the front air bags, and all the goodies, Ford would not come close.... except for the FWD vs. RWD, where Mustang has the advantage. If it fits in there, how about the 3.8 V6 as an option. Will the 3.3 fit in there, come to think of it?
    $18,500 GT with a 3.3 + $900 for an automatic
    and
    $21,500 GTS (special) 3.8 + $900 for an automatic
    Drop the i4 or up the HP there too, and sell for $17,000 spec model.
    -Loren
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I am almost certain the next Tibby will have the 3.3, and based on the lighter weight, likely in the range of 240-250hp. The upcoming facelift will probably continue to have the 2.7

3.8 is an interesting approach but I don't think, at least not initially. switching to RWD is almost certain but until confirmation still rumor for now.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    From what the tech got at the factory school the Tiburon RWD wasn't so much a rumor as more of a pending decision. They were getting training on the new van, the new SantaFe, and the new Elantra. The Tibby info was more of a "these are the designs we are considering for production" type discussion.
    Some scoops posted at another forum:

- RWD
    - 2.0 I4 Turbo (200hp); 3.8 V6 (300hp)
    - 2008/9 model year
    Yep, that pretty much goes along with what my guy heard. He did say they were definitely dropping the 2.7L. I haven't checked to see if there is a small block V8 in Hyundai's stable.
    Hyundai has a 4.5L V8 used in the top of the line in Korea.
    But that is another car. And perhaps much more costly. Will they keep two car in the Hyundai line up which are sports cars?

That new sporty car does look sort of interesting. Doors look even taller though, and possibly it becomes a large car. Anyone know the dimensions of the show car? No doubt interesting that a cool looking RWD car is in the works, though an affordable car is a good thing too. And the Tiburon already has the looks. I think very unique looks. OK, the Ferrari 456 shares some of the lines.... oops the other way around. ;)

Good seats, with a lumbar support which works for my poor back, and perhaps the 3.3 V6 are a couple of things I would like to see. Oh yeah, and three more MPG somehow. The 3.3 engine may do that. Then advertise the Tiburon. Push for more ad-ons and car clubs, or whatever it takes to get more excitement for the car. It has more goodies for the bucks than the others, yet it is not selling as fast as it should be selling.

I think the Scion may be taking away some sales. The 2007 Spec is going to be like $15K and some pretty good competition for the Tib. That said, the side air bag is not standard. With an automatic and side bag, it is around $17K. This means Hyundai should also up the HP for the 4 banger. The Sonata engine would do the trick! -Loren
  • evipereviper Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently debating which car to get. On the one hand, the Civic Si is the safer choice to be sure, but the demand is so high that they are actually charging a premium over msrp. Average here in LA is about 1.5k over msrp. On the other hand, the tiburon can be had for under 20k. My main consideration here is actually the rear seats. I have several friends who ride with me on occasion. Most of them are petite, about 5'4. Do any of you know if they'll still be able to sit comfortably on the back seats of a Tib?

As for all the rumors as to what the 2007 Tib might have, there's actually a review of sorts on the 2007 Tib at cars.com. From what I've read there, the car is essentially the same except for updated brakes and the addition of the electronic stability control such as those found on the Sonata. Perhaps with everything that's going on with the CEO of Hyundai in Korea being indicted is having an effect maybe? What do you guys think?
    I've been told a facelift is in the plans for the Tiburon, and then the new one in 08 or 09 (info posted above).

2.7 is higly unlikely to be in the next Tiburon.

4.5 V8 is dated, derived from Mitsu years ago. There is a 4.6L V8 (340hp) Hyundai debuted with their concepts. Look for the new V8 to be fitted in the new RWD luxury sedan.
    The one thing my guy was sure of was the demise of the 2.7L. The 3.8L gives a lot of bang for the size and cost, so that might be the way they go. Then again, they could take a page from GM and Ford and do a whiz-bang cool car with a 3.8L for the insurance minded and the V8 for the enthusiast. It has worked well for the Mustang, and before the demise the Camaro.

I didn't know much about the current V8 other than it was never used in the NA market. The specs on it are not bad, but as mentioned, if dated this would be a good time to release a newbie.
    Back seat? Hummm, I would try out several coupes first. I think the Tiburon would be a pretty hard one to get in and out of. If you haul other people around, consider a sedan. The Fusion maybe? The Sonata is a good choice too, just a little less sporty in looks. Mustang is a possible for a couple.

So they are asking over retail on an Si. Tell them to keep it. The car is premium priced anyway. Just get a Civic coupe. or a Scion if you go Japan make. The Si is 139# torque and the EX is 128# torque both are not major grunt engines. Sure the HP is there on the Si, but I would not pay too much.
    -Loren
    Motor Trend has the new car, the HCD8 Sports Tourer, as arriving for 2007 model year. Doubt that is true. And what a sexy name, the HCD8 ... :surprise: Wonder what they will call it? The Gran Tiburón Blanco, or GTB ? ;)
    -Loren
  • ezwjraiaezwjraia Member Posts: 9
    I would like to install an auto dimming mirror with compass and thermometer on my 2006 TIBURON. The service manager at my dealer told me HYUNDAI doesn't make one for the TIBURON, and didn't seem to want to install one even if I were to supply it. JCWhitney has two models, one "the factory mirror" @ $229.99, and the other "similar to the much more expensive factory option" @ $129.99. InstallPRO has a list of installers, at costs ranging from $60.00 to $210.00. Does anyone on the forum have relative experience to share? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • nicole2107nicole2107 Member Posts: 1
    Any problems with that transmission, i just bought a 2005 gt v6 autostick at 24000 miles and trannys out the car was not even a month old to me. Any new problems?
  • ederekbederekb Member Posts: 4
    See this post
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0c9eb6/4
    $2000 in service on my '03 with 30K Miles. Warenty wont cover it.
    -Derek :lemon:
  • moonlitiburonmoonlitiburon Member Posts: 2
    go here for info and new pix.
    http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77977&page=1&pp=25

go to www.newtiburon.com for all the tiburon info you want.
    Clutch will not be covered by all the other manufacturers as well. Now if it is proven that Hyundai put defective parts in the car, it should have been covered and they will lose the lawsuit. Hyundai is doing like all the rest, which is sad indeed, by not being will to just fix the 2003 model cars with this problem, is my take on this if they did have defective parts. This is assuming the complaints are valid. I am not saying one way or another, as I have no evidence. It is really bad PR, and a no win situation for Hyundai when trying to attract new - young buyers. As for clutch cars, I think possibly the BMW cover all for four years warranty may be the only one covering the clutch.

The warranty,by Hyundai, is the best in the industry. If I bought a Tiburon, I would get the automatic.
    -Loren
  • blessedmomblessedmom Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Just wanted to let you know that if you are a short, small person this is a safe car in the event of an accident. We bought my daughter a 2003 Tiburon GT for her 16th birthday. This past Monday morning a deer ran out in front of her, she tried to miss the deer, overcorrected and slide 100 feet, hitting 3 trees, then taking a nose dive and the car landed on its top. She is only 5' tall. Miraculously she kick out the passengar side window and crawled out of the car. The officer said if her head was taller than head rest she would have been killed. The car is completely totaled, the is not a spot on car that is not dented. Parts flew everywhere, but amazingly she was not hurt. She is very sore but nothing is broken. Her airbag on the steering wheel did not deploy, both side seat and passenger air bags did. Although I think this is a pretty save car, I'd like to know if there was ever a recall on the driver side airbag. Have you heard of any? We had the car since Febuary and haven't had any problems at all. My daughter loved this car.

Blessed Mom
    Well that was a tough call hitting a deer with a low car, or trying to swerve to miss it. Normally, I run over what gets in my way on curves, and rarely steer too far off center to avoid those animals. But a deer is a problem as chopping off the legs could have sent the body into the driver and thus a real problem. Great the car gave up its life to save your daughters. As for the driver side air bag not deploying, it could be that the front was not hit that hard. Was it mostly heavy damage to sides and the roll was sideways, no doubt. The 2003 model had the most problems of the new series. The '04 on are better. HEREis a link to recalls on the Tiburon for 2003. Anyway, look at the front and try to figure out if it was a hit of say more than 15 MPH looking crash. Maybe the nose dive was more a soft rollover flip. -Loren
  • ezwjraiaezwjraia Member Posts: 9
    Update: I bought a mirror mount digital compass at PEP BOYS. It is made in China and distributed by BELL Automotive Products. The cost, including battery was $34.99, and roughly 10% of the installed cost of the options I was exploring. Although it's not as slick as original equipment, and I must dim the mirror manually, it will satisfy my urge to know where I'm headed until my next trade. Still love my '06, so that may be a long time.
  • cfbd1273cfbd1273 Member Posts: 18
    Yeah the air bag dosn't deploy if hit under 35mph usually.

And it deffinetly won't in a roll over. No air bag will. (except Mercedes Benz)
    Bags can deploy when hitting a solid object 12-15 MPH or another car at 25 MPH or less. Well of course, if the other car is head-on, it would depend on speed of other car, and how hard the blow is - how much give the other car has. In the case of trees that may give, or glancing blows and the car dancing in the air, who knows. Guess an examination of damage to the front would tell you something. Not going to tell you enough though to tell if the front bags should have deployed unless you are very familiar with lots of crash tests done on that model of car. The car did its thing to protect the young lady -- this is good!

What are you talking about in reference to Mercedes deploying a front bag during a roll over? One car I was considering some day and a used car was the SLK, which has those standard.
    -Loren
  • jenna2jenna2 Member Posts: 1
    Ok.. So my 97 Hyundai Tiburon Fx (78K miles) needed oil. It sounded a bit funny and being that I'm a girl who knows nothing about cars, I felt extremely wise in knowing this. So I went to the gas station, checked my oil (there was none!) and bought oil to put in. Here's the problem.... I put the oil in.. but it wasn't oil. It's transmission fluid. (Ok, so I was half way to being a brilliant auto mechanic and blew it).

I realized what I had done as I was putting the cap back on the empty bottle. I went in and bought oil (real oil this time) and put that in too. I'm planning on leaving work and going straight to one of the oil change places to have them change the oil right away... but do you think the car will explode or something on me on my way there?

I cannot believe I was so stupid. (My husband claims it doesn't shock him.. grr. ) Any advice?? I'm about to trade the car in too. ARG.

Jenna
    For the short time you will be running it, not likely to cause any damage. Actually, it may clean out the engine a bit. Just make sure they change the oil AND filter and you will be fine. Watch your oil usage, if you were that low on the dipstick you may be pushing to far between changes. The general concensus here is 3000 miles between oil changes, maybe 5000 if you are doing mostly highway cruising.
  • mdbowers12mdbowers12 Member Posts: 10
    I am not sure what year Tiburon you were looking at, but starting in 2004 all the GT V6 Tiburon had 17" wheels Standard. Regardless of transmission.
    I have a 1997 Tiburon FX. I have tried to put aftermarket wheels on it. Unfortunately there is an issue with fitment. There are 4 bolt heads preventing the wheel from mounting flat against the hub on the FRONT ONLY!! If anyone else has encountered this problem and found a way around it please let me know.. Thank you.
    The bolt heads are what hold the rotors on during assembly. Check with you local mechanic and you may find that you can remove the bolts and install the wheel without them. Most american made cars do this. The four lug nuts holding the wheel on will keep the rotor firmly in place. A friend just had this same issue when replacing a bent wheel on an elantra. There were two part numbers shown, one had clearance holes for the disc bolts, the other indicated to remove the disk bolts before installing the wheel. Check with Hyndai for your particular application.
    I thank you for the info, but the 4 bolt heads that are in the way are there to hold a steel disc onto the rotor. The Wheel studs do not pass through the rotor. They are only through the steel disc I just mentioned. And as for checking with Hyundai... I just reciently quit my position as a salesperson at a local Hyundai Dealer, and that dealer has no clue. Maybe why I left....LOL Unless maybe the bolts holding the disc can be removed, the disc removed and the wheel studs placed back in the holes the bolts were in, but I dont think they are the same Distance apart as the wheel studs, so they may not match up with the bolt pattern on the rims. Very tricky thing I got my self into.
    My apologies. I looked up the front hub assembly for a '97 Tiburon and it is nothing like what is currently used on the Elantra. Good Luck!
  • sthollopsthollop Member Posts: 6
    Just wanted to know if the halogen lights come standard in the 06 GS.
    If I remember correctly, all the 2006 Tiburon come with projector beam headlights. I hope that answers your question..
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    looking at getting a replacement vehicle (won't bore anyone with the long, long story) but the Tibby has been on my radar for some time, off and on. I reading the posts here it seems that there are quite a few tranny issues (particularly with the '03 manual). Was wondering if the same held true with the auto?

Am looking in the 2004 ~ 2006 range if I can get a decent deal on one. Was looking at 2003 but it seems that year was plagued with problems. Am I correct in this.

I guess what I'm most interested in is:
    reliability - good/bad/indifferent
    fit/finish - how is it overall, now that these cars have some years on them
    wear items - for example, would I be looking at brake pads every 15 ~ 20K miles, belts/hoses replaced very frequently
    repair cost - have a pretty good idea of the clutch/flywheel replacements, but what of other prices, whether you did the maintenance yourself or dealer-serviced
    other than tranny issues, what other items to worry about
    if purchasing one, what should a potential owner ask about, look for, make sure which services / TSBs were performed

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to avoid having a major headache - don't want to go through that again!!
    Ok I dont know much about repairs, I just sold them, up till last November I was a sales person for a hyundai Dealership. I have a 97 Tiburon I love it. The 03 was the first year for the new body style. As far as purchassing a used Tib, or any Hyundai you have to remember that only the original owner gets the 100k warranty. Additional owners get only the balance of the bumper to bumper of 5 yr 60k. And if you purchass a new Hyundai, for the first year even wear items are include in warranty. They call it adjustments warranty. As far as 05 - 06 I love the SE version. the exterior is the same and most of the interior, except the transmission is a 6 spd manual not a 5 spd. and the Audio system rocks. All SE model have moonroof also. Very fun car to drive. Dont know anything about the 07 model, I just seen the first one today. I like the look, but not been in one yet. I will say this about warranty. We did have several customers come in with problems with the moonroof, just a bad button though replaced and back on the road no big deal. Another customer liked the SE model enough they bought the 06 SE and traded a 05 Corvette Conv. Comm. Edition for it. Sweet ride. I know I rambled on sorry. Hope some of it helped...lol
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    No, thanks, it was very useful. Glad someone responded.

The thing of it is I would only get the Tibby if I could get an extended warranty and would definitely get the auto. Not in the mood for a $2K clutch/flywheel bill. And the warranty covers a good amount of things (not counting items like brakes, belts/hoses and other wear items). It doesn't seem as robust as I had thought, but it is still in the running. If I can get a good deal on one, with a good maintenance record I can verify then it would be a go.

Don't know if I would've traded a vette for one, unless I lost me job or was in debt up to... :surprise:

Anyway, will keep doing research on the vehicle and will make a decision.
    No problem, enjoy your search...
    I am just wondering about some of the specifications on the GT's sound system. I know that the GS and SE have the 220-Watt Kenwood system, and that the GT Limited has the 440-Watt Infinity sound system, but there isn't alot of details or specifications on the GT's system. All it says is "AM/FM/CD/MP3 /cassette audio system with 6 speakers" no wattage or the companies name that makes it (is it an Hyundai sound system???).

Thanks,
    -Shawn
    Ok. As far as I can remember only the SE model has the Kenwood system, but I maybe wrong. The GT-Limited comes standard with the Infinity system, and the normal GT model comes standard with the base system or upgrade to the Infinity. I believe that is correct. Now the GT model may come standard with the Infinity system as well I can't remember 100%.
    I am 100% positive that the GS and the SE both come standard with the Kenwood system, and the GT Limited comes standard with the Infinity system. I would assume that since the GT is a higher model than the GS it would have a nicer system in it, but on Hyundai's website and in thier brochure all it say is: "AM/FM/CD/MP3 /cassette audio system with 6 speakers". I would just like someone to elaborate a little bit more on the specifications on this system. Thanks!
  • randolphjorandolphjo Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2007 GT model, and it comes standard with the base system (80W), with CD/Cassette/AM/FM, two rear speakers, two front door speakers and 2 tweeters.

The upgrade to the Infinity 440W sound system is in a package only - that has the 440W Infinity Sound System and the Sliding Moon Roof. That package/upgrade costs $1,800. You can't just get the upgraded Infinity Sound System by itself (unfortunately), you have to buy the package which includes the Sliding Moon Roof.

We didn't want the moon roof so we passed on the upgrade and plan to have an aftermarket sound system installed.

I hope this helps.
  • z28gurlz28gurl Member Posts: 5
    I am fed up with my obsession with Pontiac/Chev cars, I have to say I love the appearance of the Tiburon, I have test drove a few, mostly only the 6 speed, V6 ( obviously) I loved the pick up it has, the ride was comfortable, it handled well, but all in all, it was a test drive.

Just wondering what year of Tiburon you have and whats your thoughts on it.
    Also, any major repairs done to it?
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    We bought a new (leftover) 2006 Tib GT V-6 for my wife last Thanksgiving. She had driven a line of mini-vans and SUV's for the last 16 or 17 years. I thought she was making a mistake, but she absolutely loves her Tib. It holds all of her purchases, and it is a barrel of fun to drive. She hasn't regretted it one bit... we liked it so much that I bought a new Sonata Limited over the New Year's weekend. Both of them are great cars... hope this helps! Mike
  • paxfauxpaxfaux Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 05 Tib new. I owned a 01 eclipse before it (crashed it). I think the eclipse had a little more power, but the Tib handles better. Although the steering isn't quite as responsive as it could be. Top speed on a stock Tib is definetly 140. Its got good acceleration. I have 32,000 miles on the car. I go through tires like water but thats more me then the car. I just had it in the dealership because the check engine light came on. Turned out to be some evap valve closeing thingy. I have no idea but it was under warantee so i didn't pay a dime for that. I need a brake job (but thats the first) and sometimes there is a funny hum in the steering. Had the power steering fluid flushed and filled but there is still a bit of a sound. All in all i very much like the car. But if the new 236 or 263 which ever it is eclipse was out when i bought the car, i would probably have gone for that. I hear they may make a AWD version of that eclipse at some point. I might trade up at that point, or maybe for one of the new Camaros. It has enough power to put a smile on your face, but after a while you crave a little more. Out of all the sport compacts, the Tiburon looks the best, the body was desinged buy people who desinged Ferraris.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    I read recently that more versions of the 2008 Tiburon will feature Electronic Stability Control as an option (I believe), BEYOND the SE model. Has anyone come across this 4-1-1 on the '08 Tibs as well? I wonder if this also covers the base 4 cylinder model. Anyone know?

Looking forward to your replies...

Many thanx-

Peace<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
    ESC with traction control has been standard on the SE model, iirc (at least in 07 and should continue in for 08 models). Not sure if it would be offered on other trims.

There should not be many changes for the 08 model, recall the 07 was recently facelifted. XM should be there, as Hyundai is rolling in such feature across the line.
  • sammmmsammmm Member Posts: 2
    so im buying my first car and i need one that's small, easy to handle, and won't give me too many problems.

what's your opinions of the tiburon?
    should i look somewhere else?

-sam
    Sam,
    In my honest opinion I feel if you are wanting a small and easy to handle car that won't give you problems you are definitely wanting a Tiburon. I own one and absolutely love it! There are three reasons I went with the Tiburon.
    At first glance I was very sketchy on buying a Hyundai. Of course everyone knows Hyundai's are POS.... right? I still loved the look of this Tiburon and decided that I would research it further. After doing some research I soon discovered that Hyundai's track record over the past couple of years has kept pace with Honda & Toyota or even exceeded thier pace. Last year I believe Hyundai was third after ONLY Lexus & Porshce! Well that was reason enough for me to get over my Hyundai fear.
    Second off was the warranty. I know Chevy and Ford are offering 100,000 mile warranties now, but they are not offering them for 10 years or on as many parts of the car as Hyundai. I don't know about you but I won't drive 20,000 miles in a year. Also the bumper-bumper warranty was 24,000 miles and two years longer than Chevy and Fords.
    Third off was the looks. I was also looking at Mustangs and Eclipses at the time of my purchase. For some reason I kept on driving by the car lot just to look at them. Well what sold me was that one night I drove by and the one I was looking at buying was open. I opened it up and sat down inside and turned on the fog lights and the blue interior illumination lit up. I was just amazed. Neither the Mustang or the Eclipse looked that cool at night. That was the selling point and I went and bought it the next day.
    Well I lied there is actually four reasons to buy this car. You really can't compare these cars with Mustangs to closely, but I will say for the red leather and sound system I got it was 5,000 - 7,000 dollars cheaper than a Mustang. I used that to add Halogen bulbs, and get some other nice things. I liked the stock rims so I kept those too.
    All in all this is a great car. I would recommend it to anyone, and wish you the best of luck when purchasing yours. If you have any questions feel free to write me.

-Shawn
  • sammmmsammmm Member Posts: 2
    thank you so much.
    i was deciding between a civic and a tiburon. honda is very well know for their cars lasting for ever, and very reliable. thye also get amazing mileage. their warranty's aren't very long, and their parts are expensive but they require very little maintenance. they are cute, but not nearly as attractive as the tiburon.
    hyundais have a great warranty and from what i've heard are known for that and their great safety standards. tibrons get pretty good mileage...not as good as the civic though. i dont really know a whole lot about them but what i've heard ahs impressed me.
    im still in high school so i need a good car that will last that and hopefully through college. i really appreciate your input and i think im sold.
    we're going to buy in sometime within the next 2 weeks.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Howdy Shawn...

I have some questions for you, if U don't mind:

I'm happy that you chose the Tib...I like its looks too!
    Which particular version did you go for? I await the '08 model myself before making up my mind. It's between this and a VW ragtop, speaking for myself. How has your dealer been treating you as far as maintenance goes? I went to the Hyundai.com website (Korea) and see MANY interesting things in store for the '08 version, if we're lucky enough here in the U.S. to get those improvements. The new exterior colors are something to behold! Freaky! :D I dig them. I remember trying a first generation Tibby on for size back in the day, and it was tight (I'm 6'1"). I just hope the latest version is a good fit. LOL.

Please inform, when and if U can. I'd sure appreciate it!

Many thanx...

Peace<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
    Well it was between a Carbon Grey GT without the premium package (not a big fan of sunroofs) and a Black Pearl GT Limited. I can't remember where I was though and I saw a jet black mustang with red leather interior, and remembered the GT Limited's red leather. I looked at the price and it was only like 500 bucks over the GT with premium package so I now drive a black pearl GT Limited. I got an automatic for the simple fact that the "Shiftronic" is just too darn badass.

My dealer is wonderful! It is also a Caddilac & GMC dealership so they are used to working on and selling some pretty high end vehicles, and whenever they got to give me my 22,000 tib I got and am getting the same treatment as someone who purchased a 50,000 dollar escalade.

I wouldn't get your hopes too high for the 08 models though. From what I hear they are just going to be putting XM radio in them and for the added price I do not think it will be worth it. I'm not a big fan of sattelite radio for the simple fact that I am never in the car by myself for more than half an hour.

I do not know what it is like to be 6,1 because I am only 5,9, but I will tell you that I have more legroom and headroom than in my old four door Ford Contour.

-Shawn
  • dlaabsdlaabs Member Posts: 4
    We own a 2000 tiburon & a XG-350. Was going to buy a 2007 Tiburon @ $16,800 for a GS w/auto & sunroof. Decided to wait till 2008's come out Called Hyundai consumer affairs & couldn't/wouldn't give me a date when they will be on car lots. Called corporate headquarters and they said we'll check with production and call back. That was a week ago. No reply. Anybody with firm knowledge out there for when they will be on lots If it's December I'll buy an Eclipse now.