Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Good one.
    I have always wondered why these topics "vehicle A vs. vehicle B" frequently degenerate to my vehicle is better, because your vehicle sucks types of arguments.
  • bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    The last time I checked, this thread was titled "Honda Odyssey vs. DC minivans". What do you expect. If you want to hear only the praises of your vehicle, go to a vehicle specific thread.

Maybe we should all just say, "the Honda and DC vans are both very nice vehicles", and then we can end this discussion - close it down, no need to discuss anything else cuz they are both great. Flip a coin.

Most of the banter here is good natured ribbing. Sure there is some testosterone sprinkled in from time to time, but I don't think anyone takes it to heart. As for comparisons of the vans, I'm all for it. Lets just make sure were comparing vehicles and offering opinions based on our experiences, not based on what we've read in other chat rooms or publications. As I've said before, I've driven most every 2002 minivan out there (save for VW). My comments are based on my experiences not on my perceptions and prejudices.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    May not be a bad idea at all since it seems that some participants here don't care about the vans so much as trying to get each other's goats.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    "seems that some participants here don't care about the vans so much as trying to get each other's goats" - Steve

Guilty as charged ;-)
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    May not be a bad idea at all since it seems that some participants here don't care about the vans so much as trying to get each other's goats.

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure with a name like this it is going to be controversial. Thats like inviting a hundred people to the swimming pool on a hundred degree day and tell them they can't get in the water.
    EITHER DO AWAY WITH THE SUBJECT OR LEAVE US ALONE AS LONE AS IT DON'T GET DIRTY.
    Members are invited to compare all they want; just criticize ideas, not people.

Steve
    Host
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    That is a bad idea Steve! LOL. I just hope you don't leave us to go to "college" like that other Steve on 'Blues Clues'. You don't have a brother named Joe do you?
    Dang, I've been "outted."

(Not having a TV or little kids, it took me a few minutes to google what the heck you were talking about ).

Tickety says it's time to get back to the Honda and DC minivans.

Steve
    Host
    Has anyone had any luck getting Chrysler to cover repairs once the vehicle is out of warranty. I have a 96 Grand Caravan that had the trany replaced in Aug 99, now I just had the drive shaft seize into the differential, and they found filings in the trany, so another $3000 plus $500 tax ($3500) to repair. I've had all my servicing done at the dealer including transmission tune-ups, plus replacing A/C evaporator, struts, water pump, starter, power steering lines, sliding door control assembly, ABS light sensors, engine service sensors. Alot of problems for a 96 with only 115,000km (70K miles). I have complained to Chrysler's customer service 800 number, and am awaiting a response. They supposedly need to speak with the District Service Manager. The dealer isn't saying diddly. What leverage do I have to raise a bigger stink? I can threaten to never buy a Chrysler vehicle again, but do they care?

All of that work done on a van with 70K on it, and some DC owners want me to believe that DC vans are superior to the Odyssey. I'll admit there WAS some trans problems with the Odyssey but no one has ever posted a list like that about a Odyssey. I'll still consider a DC van if we were to purchase another van in a few years, but not if I start seeing posts like this on the current ones. I'm sure there are a lot of Odysseys with that many miles without those kinds of troubles. Either he drives his vans into the ground or there is still problems in River City.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    "Alot of problems for a 96 with only 115,000km (70K miles)."

Actually that seems about right for a 1996 Chrysler minivan. The first production year for the last generation of Chrysler vans was terrible. I have a friend who went through two transmissions on his 1996 Grand Caravan ES before the thing finally started acting right. Another friend had his original equipment battery explode in the garage while attempting to turn on his 1996 Grand Caravan LE. The friend with the ES no longer drives a minivan but the friend with the LE with over 150k miles on it still uses their van to go to the snow during winter. Bottom line, it was the first production year of a car that already had questionable reliability. What would you expect?

dmathews, I can't believe you would actually use a story of an owner of a 1996 model DC van as solid proof to challenge DCs current reliability. We all know Chrysler quality back then wasn't what it is now. They have improved. Just like hersbird (I think) said, there are Odyssey owners here who use problems on 5-15 year old Chrysler vans as reasons to bash current reliability and quality. That just doesn't make sense and it isn't fair. Maybe ill go back to 1997 and dig up some dirt on the unpopular Odyssey of the day and then use it as a reason not to buy a new 2002 model. Does that make sense?

-Adam
  • steelengsteeleng Member Posts: 71
    I too was dismayed at the number of problems that this owner had but I too feel it would be wrong to compare this vehicle to even a '99 Odyssey let alone anything newer. I haven't heard of anything nearly this severe on a '99 or newer DC van.

On the other hand my '92 Toyota Tercel needed many of those same repairs by 70k miles. I replaced starter (actually only replaced contacts in solenoid because I am a cheap home repair guy but most people would have replaced starter), timing belt, water pump, struts, muffler, and oxygen sensor. My Toyota doesn't have the other items that he replaced (automatic transmission, sliding door, power steering, or A/C) so I can't say how those have held up. Does this mean my Tercel is a piece of crap? Hardly. Things just have to be maintained over the years. The water pump did not go bad, I just replaced it when I was replacing the timing belt. The timing belt also was not bad but I replaced it as scheduled to avoid engine destruction if it failed (interference engine).

It would be nice to compare apples to apples or maybe oranges at the worst. Lets try to leave bananas out of the picture.
    The 1997 Honda Odyssey wasn't necessarily a bad vehicle from the standpoint of quality and reliability - just unpopular. It was built on an Accord platform (hardly an unreliable vehicle)and as such, didn't have the room of some of it's competitors. It also lacked sliding rear doors (one of the main features of a minivan..duhhh).

Adam, I'm glad you admit the earlier DC's were not put together too well. Time will tell with the new ones though. I think it's a little early to site huge advances in quality and reliability - we'll see, you may be right. As for the 1999 model year, all I know is I wouldn't want to take one in the chops with it.
    Steeling,
    Looks like your Toyota needed mostly routine maintenance items. Not quite the same as the guy who needed a new tranny (twice), AC and drive shaft seize. Probably not indicative of all DCs but not a car I would be proud to own. Talk about a banana comparison.
    dmathews, I can't believe you would actually use a story of an owner of a 1996 model DC van as solid proof to challenge DCs current reliability

I didn't say that. I said I would again consider a DC van as long as their CURRENT vans didn't end up with the reliability of those previous ones.
    Those kind of repairs were about the norm in the 60's and 70's even into the 80's on some American cars but most all cars foreign and domestic last longer now. I'm surprised the guy kept it as long as he has. Looks like that was a big mistake.
    My point exactly. My Toyota has been a very good car (except for the lousy vinyl seats). The only odd problems would be the starter and maybe the oxygen sensor, both of which have lasted longer on my Chrysler. It just makes me chuckle when people sometimes lump their routine maintenance items in with breakdown items to shall we say overemphasize reliability issues. I'm not saying that is what he did but unless his struts went in less than 30k miles I would generally consider that a maintenance item.
  • miffed1miffed1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm the loser that kept the 96 GC ES too long. No we didn't drive it into the ground. Actually driven by my wife with 2 kids in it mostly. And we kept up regular maintenance (had 2 trany "tune-ups", regular engine tune-ups, replaced front brakes at 37k mi and 56k mi, plus reg. oil changes, etc) Other than having to take it to the dealer 5 times to fix the intermittent ABS light problem, most of the problems didn't start until 1999. That makes the car 3 years old. Soooo... can you tell me the 2000+ models won't have horrendous issues starting next year? By the way I didn't list all the problems, also had the rocker cover and oil pan gaskets replaced due to leaks, had electrical problems, a MOPAR OEM battery short. Yes it sounds like I got a lemon, but how do you know 2000+ models won't be as bad come a year or two from now?
    "Yes it sounds like I got a lemon, but how do you know 2000+ models won't be as bad come a year or two from now?"

I can tell you because I drive a 2000 Town & Country with over 43k miles and haven't had a single problem yet. Ok, well, I'll be honest. We did have to replace the breaks a little early at 36k miles but I think my driving is to blame. Good thing the new DC vans have bigger disc breaks on all four wheels!

Also, we had a 1998 Grand Caravan SE that had 70k miles of trouble free driving. And we drove that car into the ground too. It was used multiple times each day by different drivers and had the mileage of a vehicle almost twice it's age when we turned it in. I'm sure whoever is driving it now is enjoying a good looking, safe, and reliable DC minivan.

Yes, Chrysler reliability has improved significantly since your 1996 model Grand Caravan ES. Look at Consumer Reports and all the others if you don't believe me. But I would understand if you never wanted to get behind the wheel of another Chrysler vehicle. Ever.

-Adam
    I didn't mean to say you said something you didn't. I went on the defensive a little to hard. Just making sure people knew the new DC vans aren't like miffed1's troubled 1996 Grand Caravan ES. Sorry.

-Adam
  • miffed1miffed1 Member Posts: 3
    I didn't think your comments were defensive. And its good to know Chrysler has atleast one very satisfied customer.
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Chrysler Caravan many repeat buyer. Caravan still sell most.
    Magic Seat, most space luggage, most power, almost best gas mileage reason got Odyssey. Chrysler and Odyssey both good minivan.
    My brother has a very loaded out (Canada model) 96 Grand Voyager LE with about 90,000 miles on it right now. He is currently using it towing a 3500 pound camping trailer, and a full load in the van of family stuff, for his week long vacation up and down the Oregon coast. His van's only problem in its 90,000 miles was one of the electric fans seized and he had to replace the whole assembly for $350. He had just last month went looking to replace the van and checked out all the competition. He was about ready to pull the trigger on a loaded Montana AWD with the entertainment package but decedided it was a complete dog power wise (just trying to pull itself around town let alone a trailer). The Honda was looking good but he decedied unless he was going to step up to the advantage of AWD he didn't need a new van. He'll just keep driving this one untill major problems develope and then see again what's out there. Currently only the DC AWD van fits the bill, but maybe somebody else will step up and make a big, powerful, AWD minivan besides Chrysler.
    Now that I think of it, my brother has a DC minivan ('01 iirc, LOL). He just drove from TN to Maine pulling a popup camper and I don't remember him ever complaining about anything breaking down. I did a 14 hour round trip in it last year (i.e., 7 hours each way), and it was most comfy.

Guess I better ask him how it's running :-)

Steve
    Host
  • jmezzjmezz Member Posts: 36
    can anyone advise on lease price for 36 --39 month lease, zero cap cost, 15k per yr on ex model listing for roughly 28,000? dealer in nj wanted a crazy 565 per month
    Gee, I bet you could buy it for less a month than that and sell it at the end of 39 months and be way ahead.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The problem DC has is the only thing the consume has to go on as far reliability and customer service is what the compnay did in the past. So if a van was unreliable in the 1996, it affect our decision today. Honda has a reputation for quality and reliability that has been earned over the pst 3 decades. You can't thro it out the window jsut because it's a new model year and the company says it's improved it;s quality. The proof is in the driving and it takes years to get rid of a bad reputaion. That is what DC is fightin right now with it's minivans. Yes they are still the best selling minivans but each year they are loosin g market share.

Don't get me wrong. the DC vans are very nice but they have to improve their reliability. Look at the Windstar. Great van but horrible reputation.
    Reputations change just like everything else. Some change for the worse and some for the better. This one is changing for the better. Who cares what other people supposedly think about past reliability and quality. If the new products are solid and run well, thats good enough for me. Our 1998 Grand Caravan had 70k trouble free miles when we traded it in on our new 2000 Town & Country which is even better, in every respect.

As for sales, Dodge Caravan sales were up for the month of May.
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Think Honda reputation still better than Chrylser but Chrylser much better reputation last few years. Kia much better reputation. GM reputation also improved.
    Ford, Toyota (and even Honda) reputation worse in last few years. Ford 3.8L V6 head gasket problem and many Explorer problem. Toyota sludge problem 3.0L V6. Honda not many problem but 1999 Odyssey reputation not good as other Honda.
    No problem yet my 2001 Odyssey.
    My 1996 Dodge Caravan had 70,000 trouble free miles, too. Unfortunately, I kept it until it had 72,000 miles on it.
    If we only knew, we could be millionaires.
    lol, my van has 67,777k on it now. You guys are making me nervous...

Steve
    Host
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    DC is extending the offer for the 7yr/100k powertrain. It seems to have a lot of small print. Does anyone know the exact terms of this warranty?
  • jt23jt23 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my 96 Grand Voyager two years ago with 70k on it from a dealer. Two weeks into my ownership the A/C went out. Long story short - A/C has been a problem ever since and entire system (compressor, condenser, evaporator, transducer and o-rings) have all been replaced TWICE in the last two years. In addition, I have had to replace the starter, ignition, front & rear brakes, central processor, crankshaft sensor, and the EGR valve all since April 2000. After $5000 of repairs in 24 months I am finally dumping this lemon and am eager to receive my '02 Odyssey. For STEVE - HOST - get rid of your Chrysler NOW - it all starts at 70. And I'm one of the lucky ones - I haven't had to replace my trany - yet.
    Actually I put 90,000 miles on my '89 Voyager over ten years. Now I'm driving a Quest and when it goes 80 or 90 thousand miles without a big ticket item breaking, I might consider it reliable (the Voyager ate a few head gaskets). So far so good though -- sure hope you have better luck with your next van!

Steve
    Host
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    and you consider it reliable? How many trannies did it eat?
    I agree, unless he had the worlds worst mechanic.
    The Voyager ate 3 headgaskets and stranded me a few times (usually at 20 below ). It wasn't reliable but was ok until around 50k miles (come to think of it, that's about the time my great mechanic decided to move to Seattle on me). Tranny never hiccupped on it.

The Quest is doing fine and that's the one I might consider reliable - assuming it keeps going like it's going; nary a problem worth writing home about yet. It rolled over 68,000 miles today, so I've got another year or so to go before crowning it "reliable". Sorry for the confusing sentence structure above :-).

Steve
    Host
    I find Steve's head gasket problem intriguing. His van goes 50k miles with no problem and then loses 3 head gaskets in 40k miles. This reminds me of an earlier post from someone who had their first brake pads last something like 30k miles (not sure on the number) and then had pads failing every couple thousand miles after that. I would say that stories like this make me wary of the service work being done on some of these vehicles.

When I was young and broke and first started doing my own repair work I lost the clutch on a little truck that I drove. I replaced the clutch but I did not go to the effort or expense of getting the flywheel ground. Needless to say, I eventually learned that you need to sweat the details on repairs like that or you will be doing it again a lot sooner than you would like.

I guess that what I am saying is that if something fails and the repair does not last at least as long as the original then their is good reason to believe that either lower quality parts were used or the repair did not fully restore the vehicle to its original condition as it should have. Unfortunately, repeated failures are not good for us owners but they are a wonderful thing for mechanics (as long as they make it past the garage warranty).
    Good point - I had the 7/70 warranty on the Voyager so the dealer did most of the work on the engine. (Dealer ate most of the cost of the 3rd head gasket job at 77,000 miles). I think the dealer "fix" for warped heads was to grind them down in place, which may have just been a quick fix vs removing them and sending them to a machine shop.

Steve
    Host
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    I have found that my definition of reliability--and have observed that others definition of reliability--seems to change. Along time ago, I drove a Ford Escort. I expected head gasket problems but didn't get them. So it was deemed reliable. I owned a scad of VW's and most didn't burn up, as I expected, some dropped valves, as I expected, and they were rel... hell they weren't reliable but I loved them.

Then I owned a Ranger. It needed occasional work, mostly under warranty, rarely inconvenienced me, so I felt it was reliable.

I now own a Camry. I've put 150,000 miles on it. It needed front brake pads once. I have changed the fluids, replaced the belts, and had a timing belt installed. I could use struts now. THAT IS RELIABLE! (But boring.) Now my other cars were not reliable in my mind. Some folks define reliable as usually getting them where they are going. Needing water pumps, or alternators, or starters are considered "expected". Anything short of a blown engine or tranny and they are happy. Personally, I would not like to return to the world of changing alternators, water pumps, head gaskets, or heads every few years.

It's all a matter of perspective really.
    A complaint about early Neons 95-98 was head gastet failure. MSN's carpoint reports this problem as, "periodic problems are failures of the Engine Head Gasket" and "The cost to repair the Engine Head Gasket is estimated at $75.00 for parts and $383.50 for labor." This is on the 95 and 96 models and by 97 they report it as, "Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs." Now many consider the Neon to be unreliable for this one specific problem. Now look at the 90-93 Honda Accord, a car many would swear by as reliable. According to carpoint, "A common problem on this vehicle is failure of the Distributor" and "The cost to repair the Distributor is estimated at $413.00 for parts and $52.00 for labor." So the Honda problem is more likely to happen, costs more to repair, and will actually strand the driver dead in the water with no warning (the Neon headgasket failure is mostly a small oil leak down the side of the block, and many people will put tens of thousands of miles on the car even with the failed headgasket.) Just food for thought.
  • mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    I have a 97 Town and Country LX. When all runs and works well it is a very nice vehicle. However, I have had many repairs over the 5 years including 3 (yes three) new circuit boards that control the dashboard guages, rack and pinion steering, parking brake pedal, stereo, wiper motor, wiper switch, fuel guage sender ($500.00), interior lights. Im likely to purchase a 2003 Oddyssey over a 2002 Town and Country, but those 2500.00 rebate and 350.00 under invoice price given to me on any Town and Country is tempting. Has Chrysler reliability improved or is there a reason Chrysler needs to deeply discount their vehicle while Honda sells at sticker?
    Well, you are going to open a can of worms with that question. The DC people seem to think the product has improved and it looks like for the short term, it has. But and I do mean but, for the long term only time will tell. I think over all the Honda is a built better but it looks like if you want a Caddy type van and willing to take a chance on their quality improving, and with all the bells and whistles you will have to go with the DC van. The only sticking point with the Honda vans is on the 99's there is a possibility of some trans problems but it looks like Honda fixed them, and then went one step better and now there is the 5 speed which I haven't heard of any problems with. The best part was it didn't take a decade or more to fix like seems to be the norm on a DC van.
    You can get a lemon from any manufacturer. DC now offers extended warranties that should make them even more attractive to you.
    BTW I drive a 99 Odyssey that has 60 K miles on it and would recommend them based solely on my experience.
    I always say, drive them first, then decide. I had the same temptations with the rebates DC was throwing in on their vehicles. I took the DC and Honda for an extensive test drive and that was the ultimate determinant for me. I preferred the power, handling and safety features of the Honda. For some folks, price is the number one factor in their decision. They can be found on the Kia boards.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    What with this good sound advise? This is VS board. Let's get back to sniping at each other....
    L.O.L.
    I have never heard of any 2002 DC minivan having all the problems you have had with your 1997 Town & Country LX. That does't mean its impossible, but Chrysler reliabilty has improved significantly since you purchased your 1997 model van. To see what I mean, just sit inside a new Town & Country and experience the difference in quality yourself. The dash is well assembled, the doors slam with authority, and the interior materials are of much better quality.

We have a 2000 Town & Country LX with 44k miles and no problmes. We bought the Town & Country over the Odyssey mainly because of apperance, features and price. We have been very happy with our current van and are now looking to replace it with a new 2002 Town & Country LXi.
    It's not allowed anymore, thats why the posts have dropped off and now its just boring. Best thing that could happen is to put it 6 foot under.
    "Chrysler reliabilty has improved significantly since you purchased your 1997 model van. To see what I mean, just sit inside a new Town & Country and experience the difference in quality yourself." - 4adodge

Adam,
    I hate to nit pick, but since when does initial build quality=reliability. I know you must be thinking, "look at these plush surroundings" when you sit in your T&C but that in no way equates to reliability. At 40K miles, your van should be reliable. I wonder how it would fare at 60k, or even 90k miles. I love it when people claim, "I've always owned XXX cars and never had a problem." Then you find out they lease or trade them in every 2-3 years.

There, I feel better now.
This discussion has been closed.