Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• whambamwhambam Member Posts: 37
    very big, look like tank. Cruise 2000 rpm 70 mph, get 27 mpg.

Deep Velvet Blue Pearl best Ody color no contest.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    Ill think about that great independent rear suspension on the Odyssey next time I see one carrying 5 to 6 people looking like its rear is about to make sparks as it drags five inches above the ground.

BTW, the Chrysler 3.8 makes 215 horses not 200. And also, 4 wheel disc brakes are optional on all models (if not standard) but the base SE trim which allows many people to get a feature filled van for less than 20k dolars out the door. Which Honda Odyssey model can compete with that?
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Taffeta White best Odyssey color, nice Fern Green interior.
    Deep Velvet Blue Pearl too hot in Alabama.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone have anything topical to add to the discussion?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    I guess Edmund's can't stand any criticism of their inane reviews.
    Actually our business plan doesn't include promoting competing forums (didn't you get your emails?). You're welcome to trash our reviews any day :-)

Steve
    Host
    Deleted? Posts actually get deleted here? Learn to write strictly on-topic posts like mine, and you won't have that problem.

Note the topic name = Ody vs.D/C minivans.

My Ody is a rare and valuable Deep Velvet Blue Pearl minivan EX with a lovely gray interior and a Hidden Hitch attached for easy addition of a genuine Uncle Booger's Bumper Dumper.

My son-in-law's uncle's niece, Daisy May Bob, owns a D/C minivan and she reports that it sucks pond water, although she likes the divided A/C.

Based on the empirical evidence presented, it is clear, then, that Ody is superior to D/C.
    Your email keeps bouncing - maintaining a valid email address in your profile is required per the Member Agreement. Thanks,

Steve
    Host
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Gee my email never bounced, but some of my posts sure did.:-((
    Steve delete 2 Ody01 posts last month, sent e-mail. Much caution now write only on topic.
    Odyssey big like tank but not guzzle gas like tank. Odyssey and Chrysler quiet, smooth ride. Tank noisy, probably poor ride. Odyssey nicer colors than tank. Chrysler minivan also many nice colors.
    Prefer Taffeta White color. Dark colors too hot, show road grime most quickly.
    than DC, Ody have independent suspend and chrome tip on tailpipe very important.

Ody hard to run out of gas. Still have many gallons left after signal, fool many driver run to station think tank empty.
  • lmo454lmo454 Member Posts: 4
    Let's face it. One of the most important tasks of a minivan is to haul people.

I like the idea of Honda's third row magic seat, but only wish that Honda had implemented a split folding rear seat.

I have a fourth child on the way and need the extra utility of being able to fold down half of the third row. Folding down all of third row or taking out the middle row seats isn't an option if I want to carry my whole family.

I love the 240hp V-6 and 5-speed auto in the Honda but wound up going with a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Limited AWD.

I chose the Chrysler because of the seating considerations, much better deal (although I may pay for it in the long run), and 7yr/100,000 mile warranty.

This is my first Chrysler product and it seems like buying any car in this day and age is a crapshoot. My wife's uncle bought a Lexus SC430 and was blowing fuses left and right, finally got it fixed after four trips to the dealer (that's how many times it took to find the electrical short).

So far, I love the minivan. It's luxurious, comfortable, economical (compared to an SUV), and fun to drive.

I have three gripes with it: I have an intermittent chirping/squealing sound from under the dashboard, the driver's side mirror bounces up and down even on the smoothest paved surfaces, and the headliner up front by the roof console is loose. Hopefully I will be able to get these things fixed and not be a regular at the Chrysler service dept.
  • lmo454lmo454 Member Posts: 4
    I'm just curious what the ratio is between Honda Odyssey vs. D/C minivans having to return to the dealer for things to get fixed during the first 30, 60, or 90 days of ownership?

Sales numbers are great, but I would rather know who builds the better product. I am the proud owner of a 2002 T&C Limited AWD and based on my current experience, I would guess Honda.

I love the Town & Country but I am less than thrilled about having to take it back to the dealer to get the "bugs" worked out. This is supposed to be a top-of-the-line product.
  • sweingastsweingast Member Posts: 28
    The JD Power study on initial quality has been quoted many times. It shows that the DC minivans beat the Honda in initial quality (ie under three years)

Since the Honda has only been out since '99 (The older ones were a Accord Station Wagon. Very well built but a very different car) with alot of first year issues, time will tell. Honda with the change in engine and transmission has addressed the serious issues. DC with the change in transmission and increase build quality has also addressed the serious issues.

They are both on the C/R recommend list. Actually, the DC is the only recommended option from the Big 3.

So the quality issue is not very big on either side.
  • bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    Have 2002 Ody tank van for 4 month. No problem to report. Ride very nice and have magic seat. 4 wheel disc standard. Exhaust stainless, not chrome. V-tec no blow smoke like pushrod engine. 4adodge not here long time. Pushing TC van back to garage. Can we all talk like this from now on Kimosaabe?
  • bettygbettyg Member Posts: 9
    We have owned our 2001 Dodge
    Caravan Sport since 5/30/01.
    We have had zero problems with this van. We now have 15,000
    trouble free miles. Usually you
    have a few squeaks and rattles
    when you first get your vehicle.
    But nothing...with this van.
    Hope our good luck continues.
    Just wanted to give D/C credit
    where credit is due.
    bdaddy have cheap inexpensive model only stainless exhaust tip.

Luxury EX DVBP model have many extra feature, special wheel, chrome nuts hold on.
    4aodge write no problem 2000 Chrysler Town & Country LX. No problem 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser. No problem 1998 Chrysler minivan. Hersbird no problem 2000 Grand Caravan. Swampcollie now own 3rd Chrysler minivan no problem.
    Ody01 no problem 2001 Taffeta White Odyssey EX now have 16000 miles. Pat84, whambam, many Odyssey owner no problem.
    Steve (Host) no problem Nissan Quest minivan.
    Read many problem some brands minivan ( Windstar Headgasket, Sienna Sludge, GM many problem, etc.)
    Odyssey and Chrysler tie best minivan now.
    You didn't mention my '89 Voyager :-) Where is Adam anyway - away for the summer cruising in his Caravan?

Steve
    Host
    great uncle, name Humphrey Yogurt, appear in old movie Treasure Sienna Madre.

Sienna owner try tell Humphrey Sienna tie, Humphrey say "There ain't no lousy stinkin' ties!"

This also apply Ody vs. DC.
    Hello, everyone. Long time no chat. I have indeed been doing alot of summer cruising in the 2000 Town & Country which just passed 45k miles with no problems. We tried to get into a new 2002 Town & Country LXi the other week but we still owe too much on the current van to get the deal we wanted. Oh well, we are still enjoying the comfort and convienence of our current van.

The Town & Country Limited AWD is in a class of its own as far as minivans go. No other van on the market offers such a blend of luxury and utility, especially considering the benefits of AWD traction. However, the AWD Limited is very expensive and also gets poor gas mileage, at least from what I've heard.

Imo454, I hope you enjoy your Town & Country as much as we have enjoyed ours.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    In the beginning there was the Dodge....

(Actually it was almost In the Beginning there was the Ford, but Henry Ford II didn't believe in that strange idea that Lee Iaccoca and his designers had, that the world was ready for a smaller van.)

When Lee went to Chrysler, he found a company ready to accept new concepts, especially if they could be spun off of the venerable K Car chassis. Thus was born the Caravan/Voyager. Suddenly those puppies were everywhere and the factory couldn't keep up with the demand. Ford and GM, sensing a good thing, leapt into action and came up with the (drum roll please)

Aerostar and Astro

Oops. They came out with capable vans that strangely enough drove like trucks. Unfortunately, the buyers wanted vans that drove like cars. Back to the drawing board.

As time went on, the market shook down and the various manufacturers took their first stumbling steps into the world of minivans.

We are fortunate now, to be presented with a group of second or third generation minivans. As the various manufacturers tested the waters, their initial offerings seemed to be "not quite right" Honda's initial Odyssey and Toyota's Previa both fell into that category. The manufacturers studied the field carefully and released their later offerings which pretty consistently hit the target.

Today we benefit from their work. We have a series of minivans, all very capable and all offering very different features. We have a choice of sizes, performance, features and costs. Assembly quality seems to be getting better right down the road, and yes we do have Honda and Toyota to thank for that, the increased competition means that everyone has to try harder. I really do believe that DC is also trying harder. The release of the PT Cruiser proved that DC (Or at least DC Mexico) could release a solid, well assembled vehicle which is in effect it's third year of production and proving to be trouble free. Whether you call it a tall car or microvan, the entry of Toyota/Pontiac into the fray indicates that the consumer is again presented with a new level of choice.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    As I remember, your parents traded a DC minivan with 70K miles on it, on their current T&C. Now your parents are looking at trading in the T&C with 45K miles on it. Unfortunately, the T&C doesn't have a high enough trade in value. A fact of life reverenced many times here.
    I got more mileage (48K miles) than your T&C has, on the OEM Firestone tires on my Odyssey. BTW My Odyssey is worth more on trade in than I owe on it.
    One of the biggest differences between DC and Honda minivans,is retention of value. Even DC apparently knows this.
    Well said, thats why we were able to TRADE our 01 in and get such I high price 24k on a EX. Too bad we won't do that good on the Avalanche but being I get a GM discount, 2500 rebate, and the money from our GM mastercard took that 38K down to about 26K. Not bad for a vehicle that has about every toy you can get on it.
  • calgcalg Member Posts: 53
    What was your mileage on the Ody when you traded?
  • rms41rms41 Member Posts: 80
    Steve
    I have noticed that many (a lot?) of people write "alot" as a single word, which it's not. Then I tried Edmund's spelling checker and it fails to call "alot" an error. What dictionary are you people using?
    Your entirely rite.

We don't give demerits for "chat typo" around here, but I'll mention the spell check thing to the programmers. Also, you can add words to the spell check for your own use.

Steve
    Host
    We only checked it once that I can think of and it was what the sticker said. When you drive a 38 foot motorhome that weighs 22K and gets 8 mpg on the highway who cares what the Odyssey gets.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    How'd an English major git'n here? Y'all are also assuming that people run spell check before posting.

pluto5- You must have really done something to get deleted. I've been baiting 4aodge and Carlton for over a year and a half without getting an e-mail with a deletion.

It is no fun trying to bait Carlton now that he has come to the Odyssey side and changed to Ody01.

Adam-I hope you're having a good summer.
  • rms41rms41 Member Posts: 80
    I was a math major. My spelling is terrible and so I check it. But I knew a lot was two words.

My daughter is in the market for a new van. Her current one is a '96 Voyager that has been lots of trouble. I found that Dodge has a Grand Caravan model called eL. My understanding is that it is meant to compete head-on with the Ody LX. It seems to come with a fixed set of options and there is no $3,000 cash back available. Edmunds says the TMV is $23,184. A local Honda dealer will sell her an LX for MSRP -$500 ($24,210). That makes the difference only $1,026. In looking at the two vehicles I found the Honda has 240HP vs. 180HP, 5 speed instead of 4, 16" tires instead of 15", rear disc brakes instead of drums, standard side airbag, traction control, and 38 vs. 20 cubic feet of luggage space. Given Honda's excellent resale value, it seems like a no-brainer to get the Honda. Am I missing something?
  • maple49maple49 Member Posts: 66
    "Am I missing something?" No, get the Honda. She will be very happy with it.

Good Luck
    Yes, the Odyssey resalve value is better than that od DC minivans. As you said, it is a fact of life. But before you go talking about how thats the reason why we cant get into a new model at 45k miles, you should probably know more about the terms of the deal first. How much did you pay to get into your Odyssey? We only payed 500 down for our 1998 Grand Caravan and 2.5k for our 2000 Town & Country on a six year lease. To get into a new van my dad only wanted to put 500 down with no more than 500 a month to trade on a car we havent even had for two years but is on a six year lease. Also, consider the model we wanted was an LXi which runs in the 35k range. It was a deal that just couldn't be done under the strict terms my dad had wanted.
    6 year lease? I have never heard of that. Are you sure it's a lease and that he really is buying it which would be a loan?
    Odyssey nice minivan most power, most space passenger and luggage, almost best mileage.
    Grand Caravan have many nice feature not on Honda LX: padded armrests, triple zone temperature, 7 year 70,000 mile warranty, automatic door lock, overhead console many nice items.
    Odyssey best minivan but more people buy Dodge and Chrysler minivan. Happy with 2001 Odyssey EX now 16,000 miles no problems.
    Triple zone AC important if have triplets. Ody EX only have 2 zone, owner have only doublets.

Pay lot monies Odyssey, get lot monies back when sell.

This break tie with DC.

Like Humphrey Booger say, Ain't no lousy stinkin' ties.
    Yes, there is such a thing as a six year lease which is exactly what we currently have. When we purchased the van we had not intention of keeping it that long but wanted a long lease so the monthly payments would be lower.

Regarding the Grand Caravan EL, it does have a few features the Honda Odyssey LX does not. Such features include a split rear bench seat, trip computer, power sliding door, roof rack, and optional center removable console. Not to mention the 70k mile warranty and slightly lower price. I personal think the Odyssey LX is one of the ugliest minivans on the road with no roof rack, cheap wheel covers, and gray handles. But I don't know if looks matter to your daughter as much as they do to me.

All this talk of odd1 being Carelton is ridiculous. I frequently speak with Carl outside of Troll Hall and he is not odd1 and doesnt even post any more here at Edmunds simply because he can't. Carl just purchased a 2002 Town & Country EL not so long ago and is really enjoying it.

And yes, the Grand Caravan EL does have padded armrest.
    The Grand Carvan EL comes standard with the 180hp 3.3 V6 which will do a fine job of moving the van. The 3.3 is a torquey and reliable engine which has been consistently upgraded for quite some time now. Our Town & Country has the previous generation 3.3 V6 with only 158hp which I am very satisfied with. It is quick off the line and has decent power throughout most of the power band. Just don't expect to speed away from a sixteen wheeler going 80mph down the interstate with A/C on and 7 passengers. However, I think the newer 3.3 V6 is a different story.

Also, if you really want four wheel disc brakes go with the Town & Country EL which comes standard with them. But I wouldn't worry about it since braking on any DC minivan is excellent in the first place, regardless of the brake configuration.
    ... DC armrest padded with DC stock certificate.

Odyssey not need pad, can use small pillow.
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    My Odyssey LX doesn't have a trip computer? Oh, that's right it has TWO trip computers.
    My Odyssey doesn't have a spilt rear bench? No, it has a fold away bench. Does the GCEL have that?
    My Odyssey doesn't have a removable console? Oh, that's right, the STANDARD tray just folds down. Does the GCEL have that?

Btw, my door handles are black, not gray. Considering how important looks are to you, I'm surprised you missed that.
    Every reader Town Hall know Chrysler minivan padded armrests/ Odyssey not padded.
    Every reader know Chrysler bad transmissions 1996/Odyssey bad transmissions 1999. Every reader know both now good transmissions.
    Every reader know Odyssey large deposit long waiting list, no discount. Chrysler minivan large discount, no waiting list.
    Why Dodge #1 selling minivan, Chrysler #2?
    Glad Honda make few Odyssey, not fill demand. Keep Odyssey resale high so can buy Sedona.
    still not buy.

Not easy for bankrupt company honor warranty.

Longer standard warranty, more flaw have to cover up to make sale.

Next year DC have 10 year, 100,000 mi. warranty?
  • tuck16tuck16 Member Posts: 2
    Well where do I start,I have a '99 D/C, at 60,000 miles the trany went, 2,000 miles later the power steering pump went and so did the rack and pinion steering, well enough said, I'm glad I bought the ext warranty or I would be out at least $4000.00, well me and the wife went car shopping and bought the odyssey, got a great deal even though it's an lx model, cant wait for it to come in. Friends asked me why I didn't buy another D/C, why? I already have a dodge and I'm not happy with it, why would I spend my hard earned dollar on it again, I'd rather spend a couple of grand more and get my monies worth. Hi to all.
  • rgmpgrgmpg Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market to replace my aging and single sliding-door Windstar, probably with Odyssey or Grand Caravan. Recently I saw what I thought was a Grand Caravan, but this had a raised roof like a conversion van. Does anyone know if Dodge/Chrysler or Honda sell versions of their minivans with modified roofs that provide extra headroom for things like entertainment centers? Any owners have experience with these modified minivans?
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    Honda and Dodge do not sell conversions of their vans, Honda and Dodge sell what appears here on Edmunds. QAftermarket companies can rip the roof off you van and super glue just about anything you want up there. I have seen a few Chrysler minvans with a high top, but never a Honda. But then again I don't see many Hondas period around here. Someday they will finish that road and the trucks with the Honda's will pull in. Until then the only thing that can get over the old mountain passes are the AWD minivans and goats. I think while those high tops do add some nice features inside, it really ruins the look of the outside, and will add next to nothing to resale (but it will cost a bunch to have done!) Great, that's just what us Chrysler fans need, a WAY overpriced conversion Town and Country that is worth 1/2 what the owner paid for it after 2 years! LOL! I hope this post doesn't get deleted. I am actually trying to be helpful. I actually got a pst deleted the other day! I felt so "dirty", I stayed away for two days and look what's here when I get back... 45 posts and only one guy complaining about those crappy armrests on the Hondas!
    Ripping the roof off and putting a fiberglass top or whatever up there can also make the van less safe, not that rolling a MV with the factory roof is all that safe to begin with. But if you are wheelchair bound, for example, it's a good option if you don't want to drive around in a full size van.

Steve
    Host
    I just checked with my dad about the kind of lease we have with our current van. He said it is a 60 month, 5 year lease instead of the 6 year lease I had previously stated it was. Sorry, it was my bad.
    Do your two trip computers tell average and instant MPG, temperature and compass, elapsed time, and miles driven all in one display? I don't think so.

Can your Odyssey still carry 5 people and have even more room for luggage with half the rear split bench taken out? No.

And does your "cheap" and "flimsy" center tray power your cell phone, hold a DVD player, and act as a large storage bin or ice chest? No.

Also, can passengers in your Odyssey LX select their A/C temperatures in three individual zones? Of course not.

Did your Odyssey come with a power sliding door w/ obstacle detection? Nope.

Lastly, does your Odyssey with no roof rack, cheap wheel covers and black door handles look as good as a Grand Caravan with body color handles? We all know the answer to that question.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Odyssey looks just fine to the Odyssey owners, the DC products look just fine to the DC owners. Frankly, a car that doesn't have running boards, free standing fenders, chromed door handles with push buttons and of course a cue ball gearshift lever, just isn't a car. (Fuzzy Dice Optional)
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    "don't expect to speed away from a sixteen wheeler going down hill at 80mph with 7 passengers and AC on.
    I have seen 18 wheelers going down hill at 80 mph with 2 passengers and AC on. Depending on whether the 80 mph 18 wheeler is about to get out and pass another 18 wheeler going 75 mph and an up hill part of the road is coming up (so both 18 wheelers will remain passing each other at 25 and 24 mph respectively) I will pass the 80 mph 18 wheeler. I have had my 99 odyssey over 100 fully loaded with the AC on.
    I owned a 96 Grand caravan with the 3.3 V6. The big difference between that and the Odyssey is that the Odyssey has independent suspension and holds the road much better at high speed. The odyssey has plenty of acceleration at 80 mph, too. The 3.3 did not.
    BTW the Odyssey sliding doors do stop when the encounter an obstacle.
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    You win. I'm trading in the Odyssey. God knows I need the best looking vehicle ever made. Maybe the tow truck driver will like it so much he'll offer to buy it off me.

Hope you don't ever pee in a pool.
This discussion has been closed.