Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    Ody van not have padded armrest. Driver get big boil on elbow when drive far. Goat not have silding doors or folding rear seat. Goat hold value well, can use for dowery in some parts. DC van priced to sell, make no profit for company. Dealer need to make all money on service, hmmmm.

Have your daughter get the Honda. Sure it's a little more $$. You could even buy after market or OEM wheels, a roof rack and more and still be ahead of the curve after less than a year given the stone like drop in value of DC products. Take a look in the classifieds some day at the number of 2 year old DC products out there for sale. Look at the asking price of these vehicles and figure on knocking off another $1K or more because there are so many of them out there. Look for a used Honda Odyssey (if there are any) and note the asking price. Do you really want your daughter to be in this position when she decides to sell her vehicle?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Buy the 2 year old Dodge/Chrysler minivan. Save big bucks, and get a padded armrest!

Seriously, I believe both the ODY and DC vans are likely good vehicles.

We have a '96 Dodge Caravan, which has been excellent with no problems except for routine-battery and tire-up until this spring when the AC went out and cost a lot of bucks to repair-dash disassembly to get at the evaporator. Hopefully that will be it for a while. The 3.3 liter V-6 is more than adequate. After all these are minivans, not sports cars!

I think the DC vans look better, but that probably won't convince true believers in Hondas to switch.

The rest of the arguments in this discussion one versus the other are mostly minor. The bottom line is, buy what you like and don't look back. If you don't like what you bought, next time go to something else.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    None of them have chrome door handles with push button latches, the way door handles were intended to be. Everything else is a wash
  • maple49maple49 Member Posts: 66
    At this point, this can almost be any American vs. Japanese car discussion (although neither is made by an American company). Both vehicle have their merits and people have their preference for one over the other. I tend to like Hondas. Personally I think the Odyssey is the best looking minivan hands down. I don't like the look, feel of the DC vehicles (I do think some of the Jeeps look good). I think the DC vans look like giant jelly beans on wheels.

Anyway, pick the vehicle you are comfortable with. You make the payments so you don't need to justify your choice to anyone.

Am I the only one who loves the Ody01 posts?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    badgerfan said: Buy the 2 year old Dodge/Chrysler minivan. Save big bucks, and get a padded armrest!

May be true but you can bet that after owning it for a while you sure won't have a padded billfold, well maybe the bill part anyways.
  • calgcalg Member Posts: 53
    I totally screwed up my question regarding mileage (about 40 posts ago). I meant how many miles did you have on your Ody when you traded it? :) Sorry for the confusion.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Went into a Lincoln dealer the other day checking out the 2003 Navigator. The dealer offered me $25000 for my 2001 T&C LTD.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    My Ody have many extra feature. Have fog lights, roof rack crossover bars, cassette deck, towing package, Put fishing rod holder in towing bar. Go Outer Banks catch big fish. Wish I had triple zone AC like DC. Not have to smell big fish.
    Maybe Lincoln dealer add 15,000 to price of Navigator.
    Bdaddy plan trip with wife and kids. Mother-in-law want to go. Tell her, no room, need magic seat folded down to hold cargo, you no can come. She upset we not have DC with split rear seat. Could take half seat out, room for her. Bdaddy now know why he happy with Honda.

Wife like Honda tray better than console. With console, she have to take out and throw out window to yell at kids in back. With Honda she fold down tray and yell at kids - break up fights. DC van fast and torquey. Honda faster and torquier. (Moderator hold reins very tight these days! Not want wagon to go off road:-)
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I see over in the Ody prices paid board, people are still paying at or just a little below MSRP for their new Ody. As long as they keep supplies tight, this will continue.

Do you really think you are getting your value paying that much for an ODY when you could get huge discounts on the much more available and discount priced DC product line?

Dmatthews3, you will certainly unpad your billfold even more quickly buying at near MSRP for your ODY.

Only those who lease or trade every 2-3 years will come out ahead of the DC option. And anyone who leases or trades every 2-3 years is blowing cash on depreciation no matter whose van they buy.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    There is a discussion on the Strategic Visions Total Quality Award on the News and Views Board. The Honda Odyssey Took first for the Vans, the Kia Sedona got a third. The DC vans were "also ran".

The PT Cruiser took the Compact category for the second straight year, the VW Golf was a third year winner in the Mini category
  • maple49maple49 Member Posts: 66
    I try Ody01 speak. Odyssey EX-L at MSRP of $28,700. Comparable T&C is LXi with Edmund's TMV of $30,260. Where savings? I only wait 7 weeks for Odyssey. Could have had sooner but no rush. LXi have some features over Honda, Honda have other features over LXi. Honda good deal at MSRP. Some Honda dealers charge more. Those dealers bad. I think Ody01 really Cookie Monster.
    Dealer was willing to sell the Navigator at $1500 over the invoice (even I special order one). I think I could get them down to $500 if I tried. Oh well, I guess they added $15000 into the invoice
    Careful with numbers on DC trade. Ford make $17,000 margin on Expidition (say neighbor, a Ford service manager). Leave much room for generous trade. Margin on other cars nill (Taurus).

Honda and Toyota margin spread move even. Mean less room for negotiate. Why buy DC just cuz get more money off? If TC sticker for $40,000 and I buy for $28,000 I feel better cuz I get good deal? Must be reason for deep discount. How dealership to make up margin - service and warranty work? Why buy Seiko watch for $100. Timex tell time just as good for $25. Odyssey compare to DC Caraven EX - made to compete on price and features. Used to be no discount, pay sticker price. Still that way?
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Looked all minivans. Chrysler most nice feature but small engine, no Magic Seat. Odyssey Magic Seat, most space 7 people and luggage, most power, almost best gas mileage. GM minivan nice 8 passenger cost too much. Ford Windstar nice not reliable, cost too much. Sienna too small cost too much, Quest/Villager nice but small like Sienna. Sedona not made April 2001.
    Got 2001 Odyssey EX after much comparing. Sedona now first choice: same size engine Odyssey, 5 speed automatic, longest warranty. Odyssey and Chrysler tie #2 choice.
  • whambamwhambam Member Posts: 37
    ... are often stupefyingly mind-boggling, and defy any rationale appealing to logic and common sense.

The marketing types who establish the DC and Honda MSRP's, dealer incentives, dealer margins, holdbacks, and special spiffs are often lost in their own fog of computer printout research and their personal notions of what will make the "typical" customer respond.

Edmunds readers, by and large, are not typical customers.
  • chryslervan1chryslervan1 Member Posts: 52
    Hi Folks. Carleton1 was banned from posting. I have read with great interest the postings in the Town Hall after being "banned" but could NOT post for reason stated above.
    YES...The Odyssey LX was our first choice in March 1999 and we placed a $500 deposit on a $23,615 MSRP Granite Green Odyssey LX March 16, 1999 at Ken Garff Honda.
    Inasmuch as we wanted to travel before the 5 months waiting list time, we purchased our 2nd choice 1999 GC SE on March 20, 1999 for $22,590 with a very nice $4900 discount off the $27,490 MSRP.
    We had zero problems until a coolant leak at 35,002 miles which was fixed the next day under warranty at NO COST to us.
    Our 2nd daughter needed a 2nd vehicle so we offered to sell her the exceptionally nice 1999 GC SE and get a new 2002 minivan. The Honda dealer would not order one without a NON-refundable $500 deposit. Complete satisfaction with our 1999 GC SE was compelling reason to buy a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country on January 26, 2002 trading in the 1999 GC SE which was immediately purchased from the dealer by our daughter and her husband. Had an Odyssey LX in Havasu Blue been available on January 26 we would have purchased a 2002 Honda Odyssey LX since we feel the Chrysler T&C eL at $24,330 MSRP gives equal value to a Honda Odyssey LX at $24,690 MSRP. Each has unique, very nice features.
    We have had zero problems in the 2002 Chrysler T&C eL in 8040 miles and it has delivered an AVERAGE 23.0 MPG at last refill at 7881 miles.
    YES. My sister has a 2001 Odyssey EX that I drive frequently as she and her husband have me bring it home from the airport and drive it back to pick them up when they fly to various places all over the USA. Both vans drive nicely, are very quiet, perform well, and my wife and I would be just as happy with a Honda Odyssey as we were with our 1999 GC SE and now our 2002 T&C eL. I am the former Carleton1 who was banned and got a new Town Hall ID after getting permission from Edmunds.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Gee, that's not the way Karen_host and I remember it...

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Carleton1 banned? Well, sorta.

What actually happened was that Carleton1 had a beguiling way of pulling Odyssey owners' chains, resulting in multiple flame battles throughout the Odyssey threads.

As a result, the very patient and slow-to-censor Karen, driven nuts ... ummm, ... to an angered state by the constant battles, banned Carleton1 from posting in Odyssey fora. He was not banned from Town Hall.

Whambam: Unofficial Historian, Town Hall
    I am going to print this one out and show it to the dealer. I will then demand a $15000 below invoice purchase price for the 03 Navigator. Welcome back Carleton...I meant chryslervan1
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    I wish the people on this board who are not making fun of Ody01 would cut it out. I doubt he is just typing like that for no good reason. Especially considering he has what I think to be a Korean flag on most of his posts. Some people like Ody01 might use translators on other web sites like Babbel Fish to translate posts in their native language to English so that we can understand them. Messages posted in "broken" English are better than no posts at all. And even if this is not the case, it makes it alot harder to understand what people are saying when everyone is trying to type in "Ody01 speak."

We loaded up the family of six in the Town & Country today for a little college road trip. We drove a total of 210 miles and visited Santa Clara University and UC Santa Cruz which was alot of fun. Anyway, the 3.3 V6, despite only having 158 horses, did a fine job of climbing the steep and winding hills leading down to Santa Cruz. Our top speed was 87mph on a straight away and the van felt just fine at that speed w/ 6 passengers and A/C.

The Infinity 10 Acoustic system is perfect for long trips and keeps the car rockin'. There was never a moment of silence!
    Please look first sentence. You want those NOT making fun to stop.
    I had Infinity sound system in 96 Dodge Grand Caravan. Honda sound system not as good.
    I rent many DC short version van many times. One time Sport Version. Short version van handle much better traffic Honda and Grand Caravan. No Infinity sound system rental DC van. Sound not so good Honda.
    87 miles an hour with 6 people in the van sounds like a accident waiting to happen. I guess since you said loaded the family into the van that dad was driving. Not to smart. A quick way to wipe out a whole generation. You should have a talk with him.
    On another note I too will start making fun of Ody01 as you have requested :-))
    Great sound system not so important in a minivan. Minivan for families with kids. Not talking on trips while loud music blaring reason for disintegration of American family.

As for looks, Honda van have nice body lines, look nice. DC van look like box the Ford Focus comes in. 4adodge, I not laugh at ody01, I laugh with him.

Tomtom - Ford margin is factory margin. They get it as soon as the truck is shipped off to the dealer. You'll not tap into in save for dealer incentives, holdbacks and special spiffs. My point is that just because they offered you $25K in trade for your van, don't think you have somehow managed to avoid the infamous DC depreciation curve. Glad you are happy with your deal on the Navigator - that's the only thing that matters.
    New DC van look like Ford Windstar. First time I see thought Ford Windstar. Drove rental Windstar once. Had only 7 Miles when pat84 rent. Has most leg room for driver. Steering very sloppy. Good acceleration. Odyssey and DC much better overall. Better steering / handling than Ford.
    Thanks good post. Understand English but not write or speak good English. Easier learn new language young person move United States than when over 30 years old move here.
    Think dangerous drive 87 mph even nice Chrysler or Odyssey. Hope your van have very good tire. Glad no accident at high speed.
    Disagree pat84. Sedona most look like Windstar. Chrysler minivan nicer look than Windstar. Odyssey van look different all minivan.
    Sedona most look like Windstar but better: larger standard V6, 5 speed automatic, much better warranty.
    Oh well, I guess I will pay the invoice price then. I think I am going to keep the T&C and just throw in wife's bimmer.

I don't see the Windstar looks anything like the DC van. Yes, Ody look very different than the other minivans out there but it doesn't mean that's good ---> Pontiac' Azteck
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    you are still my hero man. There is something about those guys named Joe...never trust their crazy antics.
    for man just come to country not know good English. "Joe Brakish" sound much like name Odyssey old-timer. If take off Bra, have same name.

Odyssey much more class van than Sedona. Have very solid name Honda behind product. Sedona likely have only tow truck behind product.
    Steve,
    Wondering how far O.T. you have to go before you get falgged? Not trying to be smart, just want to know. This is a DC vs Ody thread yet some posts stray into areas such as speculation about a poster's country of origin, previous existance, other minivan comparisons, etc. Not that I mind. In some cases there are no other outlets for these comments. How does this work?

Again, I'm not trying to be cute - just want to play by the rules and stop having posts rejected.
    Thanks
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    I'm sorry about the first sentence in my previous post. I did not mean to say that. I wanted people to stop making fun of him just because he cannot type or speak English as well as we can. Wouldn't you think thats something a 17 year old would do? You are all adults but you are certainly not acting the part.

dmathews, when pat84 said he had his Odyssey over 100mph with six passengers I did not hear you criticize him for unsafe, fast driving. Especially considering that with six people on board the rear of his Odyssey was probably one inch from the ground and his head lamps were probably pointed towards the sky instead of the road in front of him. I'm sure they made perfect skylights.

I don't see how anyone could say DC vans look like the Ford Windstar. Owners of DC vans should be insulted by that remark!
    Some may be mature enough to see behind a veil...other may not.
    I don't remember the post, I may have missed it as when I'm gone for a while I just skip through them and may have missed it. Yes it wasn't to smart on his part either. Reason behind my comment is yes I did that stupid thing too and luck was on my side. I had a 62 Ford with a 406 and tri-power carbs and me and 3 buddies where up on the highway one night seeing how fast it would go. Couldn't get it past 120 no matter what. When I slowed down to about 70 the backend started shaking. I had a flat. Changed tire and later found out that the tire had melted around the rim and we were lucky to be alive. Made me grow up just a tad. I just don't want to see anyone else see if they have the same luck I had that night. Like the other poster after me said to you, I hope you have good tires. Tell who ever to ease up on the go button.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A little off-topic drift is normal and tolerated. Usually the community itself will step in when the talk gets too far afield or degenerates into flames wars or whatever. That leaves the hosts free to plug new tools or reviews on the site and help others find discussions that may be a better place to ask questions and get answers.

When a topic gets swamped with posts that have little to do with the title, then we step in and try to get folks back on topic, or otherwise try to insure that Town Hall is a welcoming place for everyone to enjoy reading and posting in.

Hope this helps!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Sedona look like Ford van. DC van look like box/shippig tube for Sienna not Focus. Honda look like Honda, nothing else. Looks not important to everyone.

Brakish like brackish water, neither salty or fresh. Joe like person neither Korean or Carlton.

Edmunds, Car and Driver and other experts wrong. Odyssey not best van. Best van is one you drive.
    "Best van is one you drive".
    Odyssey best van me, bdaddy, whambam, pat 84, dmathews 3, many people.
    Chrysler minivan best van 4aodge, chryslervan1, tomtomtom, swampcollie, Carleton1, many people.
    Nissan Quest best van Steve.
    Most Odyssey owner Town Hall. Now many Sedona owner Town Hall. Where are all Chrysler minivan owner?
    Difficult understand trade Odyssey for Avalanche.
    Big giant box tank. Own wife afraid rare & valuable DVBP Odyssey, prefer more ladylike van, like MPV.

MPV look like Odyssey have little girl baby, have curvy like woman, more feature, less money, slider door window roll down very nice feature.

Buy MPV for wife now Ford put real engine in van. Old engine good power only for Tonka Toy car.
    Return from trip in Odyssey late last night. Mother-in-law not go - not fit in van with magic seat folded. Get to wife's girlfriend's town and she thinks have to drive seperate car. Bdaddy put seat up and make wife sit in back so wife's pretty girlfriend sit next to him. Still liking Odyssey, maybe more now! Boil on left elbow better padding on long trip than padded armrest too.

Honda use QFD (Quality Functional Deployment) to mate voice of customer to voice of engineer. Give customer big engine, ABS disc brake, 5 speed transmission, side airbags, automatic doors and more, all standard. Other vans have many option groups to get same features. Honda engineer smart.
    No MVP vs. Odyssey board so allow post to please pass. Ford want people think all cars go zoom zoom. Put windows that roll down in doors. Dog put head out window, think MPV going fast. Ford fool dog, not people.

No window move kids not tempted to put arms legs head out window feel like going zoom zoom.
    MPV Magic Seat, nice 2nd row adjustable seat. MPV not attractive like Odyssey, lots less power, no protection side trim. Ford engine less power burn more fuel than Honda engine.
    Agree slider door window nice.
    whammy feel that van size make up for his lack. MPV owner confident with what is in his fold, not need 240hp to beat other lacking male at stoplight.
    Odyssey not like Volvo. Odyssey lots room, lots power, Magic Seat. Odyssey most like Chrysler minivan. Chrysler minivan need Magic Seat, 5 speed Automatic.
    Have excess endow like giant sequoia tree.

MPV go fast only when draft on Odyssey exhaust.

Volvo good car. Designer happen have railroad boxcar fixation.

Bdaddy make good point danger children rear window. Bdaddy smart man, get fooled by DC low price, not think ahead low resale.
    giant sequoia tree a myth on east coast. Besides, giant sequoia fall over and die. Not even Odyssey load of Viagra can help.

Ody owner drool when MPV owner roll down window and show off kids. Good looking kids = good looking van.
    Bdaddy and wife drive GGEXL (which neither granite or green) slow and in left lane. Speed limit safe, 10 mph under most safe. Avoid accident and tires melt to rims. Many people get close to back to admire most fine van. Honk horn in approval of choice. Stare at van when pass and signal number one choice! Wife not scared of big tank boxy van. Feel more safe than driving smaller curvey van. Bdaddy not need all 240 horses in van but nice for resale, no?
    Bdaddy wife, not big tank van.

Many driver signal approval rare & valuable DVBP Ody EX by hold up one finger. Very strange not smile, look angry.

Why Honda engineer make 8 different shades gray? Honda have most money, best look wheels all vans on EX model. DC wheel cover look like moon cap on 51 Ford.
    Good name for new DC van Sequoia. Van round like tree. Have to brake for squirrels run out at it. Good thing ABS disc brakes to avoid squirrels. Dogs lift leg on van, keep clean. Go many month without wash. Van can be cut up and sold by board foot when dies for much improved resale.

Whammy watch out don't get termites on giant Sequoia. Wife not happy and might not understand. Ask for divorce. Then Whammy get to buy much prized old Volvo designed by rail engineer with money left from check.
    Town hall should combine all vs. van boards into one so posters able to stay more on topic. This help Edmunds readers make best choice less posts bounce. More on topic posts means moderators not work so hard. Many vans, little time. Honda top van not need top billing. Make board DC vs. Honda vs. Mazda vs. Kia vs. GM vs. Ford vs. Toyota. Or call it All Vans - comparisons. Best minivan the one you drive...till it breaks.
    Have Terminix Service care for giant sequoia, keep away pests and trim all branch twice year.

If DC name van Sequoia, must change name mine to Big Willie. Not want name same like DC.
This discussion has been closed.