Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    Wife should care more for giant Sequoia, then not need other servicing.

DC make nice van. Smaller engine than Honda and no magic seat. Kia best value now. Might trade Honda for Kia. Honda too powerful don't need to drive so fast. Kia get better milage when being towed use hardly any gas. DC give big rebate on their van. Best value now. May just buy 2 year old DC van now. Less wait for smoke and repairs to start.
    Honda most grey vans. Honda look too much at income statement and annual report. See much black and white and think vans should all be shades of grey. DC look at income statement and annual report and think most vans look best red.

DC vs. Odyssey board in Town Hall top ten discussion today. Posters known much knowledge and information. Like lack of articles and conjunctions in sentence structure. Ody01 get much credit for interest in topic.
  • mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    My 1997 Town/Country just got out of the dealer after 3 day repair of electrical problems. I am now on my fifth circuit board for the dashboard. They cannot find any short. I find it hard to believe four boards will fail. Fortunately, these started while under warranty, and Chrysler has cut me a break charging me just labor for some, 50.00 dollars only for others and 0 dollars for the last but that circuit board lasted only 3 weeks. My service rep feels a trade in is a good idea. He comments his warranty work is down 40% as a measure of improved reliability. I view this as a measure that things are breaking later, out of warranty, as the repair shop was swamped. The 7/70 powertrain only covers some parts, with 100.00 deductable. Anyway was very tempted on a new 2002 Town/Cty limited at 3,300 under invoice, but still about 2200.00 more than Odyssey EX-L. Sure the DC is better equiped but those gadgets may break just at 37K miles.Anyway ordered 2003 Ody at MSRP less 460.00..
  • whodeywhodey Member Posts: 19
    After some deliberation, my wife and I decided on an Odyssey. We liked the luxury of the T&C but based our decision on past experience and proven reliability. We bought an Granite Green LX, added remote keyless entry and a cd player and paid MSRP. Not a single dealer was willing to do much negotiating but we did get everything we wanted for MSRP. I guess that's what the Odyssey goes for.
    We visited three dealers in one weekend and there was not a single Odyssey left on any of the lots. I guess it's true what they say...they sell them before they hit the dealership. Our's should be here within a week to ten days.
  • chryslervan1chryslervan1 Member Posts: 52
    We were completely satisfied with our loaded 99 GC SE and did not plan to sell or trade for many years. However, our daughter and son in law needed a 2nd vehicle since their 7 year old son was in school and the 4 year old daughter in pre-school. They looked at many vehicles and decided to get a new 2002 Neon.
    We went on a test drive and felt cramped with the 4 year old girl in the back seat. The noise level was higher than we prefer so we offered to trade in our 99 GC SE on a new 2002 Chrysler T&C eL if the dealer would sell the 99 GC SE to them for the trade-in we received. They were most pleased to buy an exceptionally nice 99 GC SE with only 37,240 miles on Janury 26, 2002. (After all the 4 of them had gone to Disneyland with us 4 times in the past 2 years and KNEW the 99 GC SE was an outstanding vehicle).
    The 2002 T&C eL does not have all the nice features of the 99 GC SE such as Infinity 200 watt 10 speaker sound with CD and Cassette, Built in child safety seat in right middle Quad, Cast Wheels but is even quieter than the very quiet 99 GC SE. Triple Zone Temperature is even nicer than Dual Zone where the rear passengers got the temperature set by the driver. Instead of heat/cooling vents at middle and rear of both front doors as in the 99 GC SE, the 02 T&C eL has only heating vents under the front seat in addition to the 4 overhead A/C vents in ceiling overhead middle and rear row seats and also has the rear heater in front of right rear wheel. The front fan is even more powerful than was the excellent 5 speed fan of the 99 GC SE. We very seldom use the rear A/C even crossing the Mojave Desert of California since the A/C in each is very powerful with very cold air.
    Yes, we would have purchased a 2002 Havasu Blue Honda Odyssey had one been available in January as we were willing to try another van. I would like the 240 HP with 5 Speed Automatic, Magic Seat and flexible 2nd row seating but would have needed to give up the very nice Overhead Console with outside temperature/Compass/Trip Computer, Triple Zone Temperature, and 50/50 split fold and tumble 3rd row. As stated before, we feel the Odyssey and Grand Caravan/Town & Country are of equal value with each having unique advantages.
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    Anybody know of any custom minivan shops? I want that A-team look for my van. Here is the real reason I bought my 2000 Grand Caravan over the Honda, it has that cool roof top spoiler! If only I had a bunch of orange and black paint...
    What van do you think jumps better, the Honda or the DC? The magic seat would be nice for loading welding gear in one minute, and then Murdoc the next. But over the long hauls when Mr. T refused to fly, the leather and 3 zone climate control of the T&C might be the ticket. See it's even hard for the A-team to choose, I still love it when a plan comes together.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    The Odyssey has

1. An engine
    2. Spotty Reliability during the first year
    3. A disappearing seat (I'd rather have a disappearing finance payment)
    4. A noisy gas tank and inaccurate gas guage
    5. Four Wheels
    6. Some Windows, seats and a steering Wheel

The DC Van has:

1. An Engine
    2. Spotty Reliability However new generation much better.
    3. Split removeable third seat
    4. A gas tank and gas guage
    5. Four Wheels, (give or take one or two)
    6. Some Windows, seats and a steering Wheel

Sounds like a wash to me.

Neither Car has:
    5 speed manual transmission with chrome shifter topped by a cue ball shifter knob

chrome door handles with real push buttons

Available factory flames or woodie treatment

Upcoming turbo model and convertible model

Advantage the Microvan

Thank You very much
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Make board DC vs. Honda vs. Mazda vs. Kia vs. GM vs. Ford vs. Toyota. Or call it All Vans - comparisons

A better name for the board would be My Van is better than your Van as this is what it amounts too.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    If there were such a forum, some of the obvious comparisons would be between Honda, the Longer version of DC, and Windstar vs. the shorter DC , the MPV , the Nissan Quest, and Toyota Sienna. BTW Longer is better.
    Acceleration so good Ody that back end go low when floor it. . Go from 7 inch to 5 inch from road, even when full.
    Headlights ODY much better than DC. I put aftermarket Hella bulbs in 96 DC. Still have to drive no more 60 at night or outdrive head light. Not so ODY. Go likety split at night.
    I like crkeehn neon, too. Have PT Cruiser Package. Bet factory flame job all same.
  • toyotaboyesl1toyotaboyesl1 Member Posts: 38
    I say that the best mini-van out right now is the Toyota Sieanna. I like Japanese cars so that is probably why I am comparing it to the the MPV,the Quest, and the Oddysey. The quest is just old and out of date (it still looks like the Mercury Villager), the MPV probably has the best performance but it just seems a little small inside compared to a lot of vans, the Oddysey is ok I guess, it just looks kind of ugly and I have heard some pretty bad stuff about it. The Sieanna isn't perfect, but it still is better than most mini vans out there. It's not too expensive, it has really nice looks, performance is pretty good for a van, and has plenty of features. It is my personal favorite.
  • steelengsteeleng Member Posts: 71
    I predict that the future of this forum will be something like this.

"2022 Odyssey much fast very good. Better much bad 1989 DC van. Me good you bad. Me big Sequoia scare woman now all alone."

The sad part is that although I think the Odyssey is a good van I would be hesitant to ever own one just because I wouldn't want to be associated with the ody owners on these boards. The original gloating on this board was bad enough but now it has literally broken down to a comparison of manhood and mocking others. It is kind of like playing king of the mountain. The winner gets to stand all alone and look down on everybody else. Some day the king might realize that he is all alone and playing with himself.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Question: Why did you trade your old DC minivan into the dealer, then have them resell to your daughter and son-in-law? You should have sold it direct to them. Then negotiate like crazy for your new minivan w/o trade. I'll bet you both could have come out better cost wise.

Had you already done your deal before your daughter decided to buy your old van?

It's usually better to keep the trade-in out of any new vehicle purchase until after you've got the dealer committed to the lowest price you can get without trade. That way you can figure out what the new van costs, and also what the dealer is willing to give you on the trade, rather than combining the two issues. By the way, Edmunds has a good tool for determining ballpark used vehicle prices, either as trades, private sales or purchased from a dealer.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Agreed, with a few exceptions the past week, it's been all too "kingly" in here. Maybe a week's rest will give people time to chill out.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    OK, since it's been a week, and I have no manhood to compare, I'm cracking the door open on this one. But let's keep it to a comparison of the vans' merits. If it turns into another Celebrity Death Match - Testosteronefest 2002, that's the end of this topic.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• whambamwhambam Member Posts: 37
    Having exceedingly high standards of conduct my own sweet self, I will rat out any posters who get outta line.

Now then. Odysseys are clearly superior to DC vans because

... Better resale
    ... Less confusing color selection
    ... I'll think of more stuff later ...
    I actually saw a post on another forum where a Honda fan said that an Odyssey owner would never brag about whether his van could beat somebody else's vehicle from 0-60. Isn't that kind of what started this whole mess?

BTW, I am rather enjoying our 2001 DGC. It is very smooth and handles quite well for a large vehicle. I would have preferred the 3.8 engine but it is hard to find used vans with that engine. The only other thing that I wish I had is a power drivers seat. My other car has one and I quite enjoy it and would like to have it on the van as well.

whambam - Actually color selection is one of the things that I do not like about the Odyssey. Unlike most van buyers out there, white and silver just don't do it for me. Our DGC is Steel Blue and I really like that color.
    Was it not clear that my tongue was completely protruding out the other side of my cheek? The Ody's initial color offering was ridiculous - 2 darks, a beige, and a buncha shades of gray. The worst selection in all cardom.

I wish you and some hosts would realize that not all owners are fiercely fanatic anal retentives defending to the death that they chose the right car. Most of us could care less. It's just a car.

A little life and fun in these fora would go a long way towards making them palatable while exchanging info and points-of-view.

To be forced to be dead-on-topic at all times is even more ridiculous than my precious Ody's initial color selection, which clearly sucked.

Lighten up, everybody.
    Why did we buy our 2nd Choice in March 1999?
    AVAILABILITY

Why did we buy our 2nd Choice in January 2002?
    AVAILABILITY

Are we happy with our 2nd Choice?
    YES...Both times we paid less for our nice DC minivan than the Odyssey LX would have cost.

What about less trade in?
    Moot point since our 2nd daughter and her husband bought our used 1999 GC SE for the same amount we got for trade in. Salesman at each dealership was equally pleasant, decent, and trustworthy.

Odyssey advantages: Most power, most comfortable seats, Magic Seat, most cargo space with all seats in place, Flexible 2nd row seating, 5 Speed Automatic in 2002, slightly higher EPA ratings.

DC advantages: Availability, Separately controlled temperature for driver and front seat passenger, Complete Overhead console with compass/outside temperature/accurate trip computer, automatic locking door locks, more convenient dealer for oil and oil filter changes, better quality stereo....(and I can not leave out the padded armrests on the front doors).

I drive my brother-in-laws 2001 Odyssey EX frequently (as a service to them when they fly all over the country I drive it home when they leave and back to airport when they return...a WIN/WIN situation: convenience for them and an excellent opportunity for me to drive and compare the Odyssey to DC minivans).
    The seats in the new 2002 Odysseys are NOT as comfortable for me as are the 1999-2001 years but I do like the 5 speed automatic in the 2002.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Good comparison, but one item you missed in favor of Ody is than DC is still using Gen 3 seat belt buckles on all rear seat positions. Only have Gen 4 buckles in front seats.
    In 99, Odyssey had 2 shades of gray. Granite Green(dark gray) and Canyon Stone Silver (light grey) I found a dealer that had bought out a previous dealer. There were 2 Odyssey's on order by the previous dealer which were coming in 2 weeks with no waiting buyers. I got the 2nd. The first was dark gray, mine was light gray. BTW at that time there was a 3-5 month wait for the Odyssey. That was over 61,000 miles ago. It still runs like new.
    I owned a 96 DC van and frequently rent DC vans on business trips. They have really improved their vans, especially in fit and finish.
    One problem with the Odyssey is there are few, if any, of them available for test drives.

I do believe that this forum can be mellow, non aggressive, and an assistance to those that are considering buying either minivan. I do appreciate humor, as well. Just my $ .02
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I do believe that this forum can be mellow, non aggressive, and an assistance to those that are considering buying either minivan.

Pat, has nobody told you that Santa isn't real?
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    No need owner get mad other owner also drive nice minivan. Odyssey good value sticker price. Chrysler now copy with "e" models no discount, fair price. Chrysler need more copy Honda: Magic Seat, large engine standard all Chrysler minivan.
    Odyssey best minivan, all Odyssey standard 3.5L V6 most power, good mileage. Some Chrysler also good large 3.8L V6 some model lots power, high mileage almost same Odyssey.
    Need forum Honda Odyssey vs Chrysler/Dodge vs Kia Sedona. Smaller, less expensive Sedona same size 3.5L V6 Odyssey use more fuel much less power. Sedona same size short Chrysler Voyager and Dodge Caravan.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Magic seat is not for everyone, especially when you need to carrry five people all the time. Also, these are Minivans not sports cars. Most of the minivans out in the market have enough power to get you on the highway without any problem.
    "A little life and fun in these fora would go a long way towards making them palatable while exchanging info and points-of-view."

Agree 100% with Bigwhammy. All of my posts on the subject of the superiority of the Ody minivan were interspersed with a certain amount of self deprecating humor. I certainly do not believe that the Honda is by all means a perfect vehicle. I apologize to all of the other van owners if my humor was lost on them. ("I'm shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree").

Whammy - no need to keep an eye on me. I've certainly learned my lesson and won't stray off the topic again. ("What we have hee-ahh.....is a failya to communicate.")
    I saw you sneaK in that self-de***cating humor comment.

You ain't foolin' me none, no sir, no how, no way!

I've decided to let you slide this time, and won't rat you out to the Hosts, all of whom snap-to immediately to ameliorate any complaint I might have. image

Now then, how 'bout them Hondas? How 'bout them D/C's? image
    Magic seat is not for everyone, especially when you need to carrry five people all the time

Explain! When the Honda will carry 7 adults which means you could carry 2 in front, 2 in middle and 1 in rear or 3 in rear and take out the 2 middle seats.
    Now this heah is yo Honda magic seat. Any man don't have a magic seat, spends da night in the box. Any man don't have 240 HP, spends da night in the box.
    Any man doesn't have an infinity sound system, spends a night in da box. Any man doesn't have a driver's arm rest, speds da night in da box.
    I think whambam can eat 8 dozen hard boiled eggs in an hour.
  • xafxaf Member Posts: 37
    The only magic to the seat is the fact that it folds.

If you have ever slept on a fold away cot, you will understand that comfort is not the priority in design.

So it is convienent, but would you want to sit on one for 4 hours.
    Kids are pretty resilient. Even their little tushes are resilient.
    I agree with tomtomtom that the magic seat is not nearly as useful if you carry 5 people all of the time. In both of the scenarios that you mentioned it would be impossible to fold down the magic seat therefore making it no more useful than a bench. I happen to be in the situation where I have 2 carseats strapped into the rear bench in my DGC and another in the middle row (carseats are too wide to get three into one row). If I want to take out the bench (or fold down a magic seat if I had one) I would have to remove both carseats in the first place. Yeah after that the magic seat is more useful but either way I would have to plan ahead to use that space.
    Yes, the magic seat is not as soft and supple (I surmise) as the DC barcolounger seat. Yes, the folding design is not of importance if you've got car seats strapped to it, or you need to transport 5. But if you've never made a midnight run back from Tiajuana, hauling in a couple of keys in the magic seat-well.....
    Well, you just wouldn't understand.
    Nothing up my sleeves, now watch closely. My magic seat.
    My 18 year old daughter sits in the first rear seat position in my Odyssey's magic seat . She stretches her feet out along side the middle seats, that I have hooked together like a single bench She has the most leg room of any one in the van. She has never complained about being uncomfortable.
    However, we know all teenagers are silent as they accept life's unfair adversities.. Teenagers accept their lot without a word of complaint, much less a sarcastic comment.
  • xafxaf Member Posts: 37
    it seems everyone knows someone who has sat on a magic seat.

I was curious have any of you done the long trip with 3 people on that "seat", 1 adult and two children.

Let's just say I was pretty numb after the long drive.

You can stick kids in a cardboard box and they will be comfortable.

Adults need a little more than "magic"
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Sorry, I was wrong...with the magic seat folded down the mighty Ody will be able to fit like 14 people in there. 2 in front, 2 in middle and 10 people can lay on top of each others in the cargo area...this is a teenager dream car...
    8 pickled egg, quart watermellon wine.

Now need D/C 2-zone air condition, good feature.

Ody van now smell like Hersbird goat.
    The one piece sliding rear bench seat of DC minivans is more comfortable for 3 than is the newer DC 50/50 split rear "fold-and-tumble" seating or the Ody Magic Seat. The Magic Seat and new DC 50/50 seats are really comfortable for only 2 adults as the side hinges of Magic Seat and middle hinges of DC 50/50 create discomfort for the person(s) sitting on top of them.
    Having had both DC configurations I would prefer the Odyssey Magic Seat to either DC 3rd row seating.
    The Odyssey driver's seat is much more comfortable for me than the driver's seat in either our former 1999 GC SE or current 2002 T&C eL. The 2002 Odyssey seats are NOT as comfortable for me as were the 1999-2001 Odyssey seats.
    I have not sat on any of the 3 rear seats for an over an hour or two at any given time. All were comfortable for me for that length of time.
    Hungarian breakfast not to my liking. Stick with Polish fare - pork tails, sour kraut, perogies and wash down with dandelion wine.

DC have triple zone AC? Just want to know from someone who has it - is it really possible to have the driver cooled/warmed to say 72 and the front passenger cooled/warmed to 78? Doesn't ambient air temp even out in an open enclosure with a volume of some 200 cubic feet?

Not to sound like a sexist...OK, to sound like a sexist - I always thought the dual front zone was a chick feature. After all, it's common knowledge that males have a much greater span in their personal comfort level with regard to the environment. My personal comfort level span ranges from 60 - 80 degrees. Within this range, I can comfortably operate with one layer of clothing and no supplemental heating or cooling. My wife's comfort span on the other hand, ranges from 72-78 degrees. Cooler than 72 and we're heating, warmer than 78 and we're cooling. Bdaddy's own extensive research on this subject confirms this is a universally accepted fact.
    I owned a 96 DC with the dual zone heating A/C . My wife really liked it.
    Of course, she married me. What does she know ?
    Garlic keep smell away.

Ody nice EX feature dial temp 68 degree. Wife want different, must employ advanced engineer technique known as vent diddling.

After eat pickled egg, wife open all window, rear vents, rear hatch, drive through car wash
    Bdaddy's wife always vent diddling. Pat - that's what I mean, it's a chick feature.

Powerful Odyssey also employ well thought out engineering trick maintain gas milage under load. Ody suspension lower to keep coefficient of drag down so get same good milage as with just driver in it. Honda engineer smart and use sewing machine oil for lubricant so Ody get best minivan milage.
    Pull-to-right feature prevent head-on crash when driver sleep. Ody drift safely onto berm speed bump, nobody get hurt.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Chryslervan1 just take your van to any good auto upholstery shop and tell the guy what you want in the seat. They can fix the way you like with the same upholstery for a lot less than a Honda bucket seat.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    The upholstery shop could probably fix that hard Odyssey armrest too. ( No! I am not an auto upholsterer!) nudge nudge! (nudge nudge stolen from Eric Idle of Monty Python fame.)
    Ody hard armrest another safety feature designed by crafty Honda engineer. Hard armrest encourage lazy driver keep both hands on wheel in 10 o'clock position. One hand on wheel safe both hands safest. Keep from driving off road and into shrubbery.
    The GC Sport "H" and "K", eL, and eX and the T&C LX "H" and "K", eL, and eX have standard equipment manually controlled Triple Zone Temperature Control where the driver, front seat passenger, and rear compartment can each select the temperature of the air coming out the vents in their area.
    However, the GC Sport with "F" option and the T&C LX with "F" option do not have standard Triple Zone Temperature Control. The Triple Zone comes with Climate Group III on the "F" models.
    The GC ES and T&C LXi, and Limited have Triple Zone Temperature with automatic control as standard equipment. As with the Odyssey EX, just set the temperature for each of the 3 zones.
    As you can see, Honda makes it much less confusing to order and purchase the Odyssey with far fewer decisions to make concerning options.
    I think DC has too many options which can confuse many purchasers.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    The DC vans look like a pot bellied pig on wheels. A similar claim has been made about the Windstar. The Ody looks like the box the pig came in. The PT Cruiser has style, a true microvan (and no, it can't hold 7 people)
    ... have flat tire front, huge fat booty rear. Maybe carry small whale in booty.

Ody very nice tank look, strong engine. Carry PTC in magic well.
    And most of us do not want a little anemic, wheezing 4 cylinder engine.
    We test drove the PT Cruiser and liked it but it is NOT a long distance cruiser like either a DC minivan or an Odyssey.
    I was disappointed with the effect of wind on the PT Cruiser since similar winds have no noticeable effect on our pot bellied pig DC minivan or on my brother-in-law's boxy Odyssey.
    The Odyssey dual zone is better then the DC triple zone as if you get tired of wife nagging just crank down the air till she gets cold and then she can move to rear of the bus where it's warmer.
This discussion has been closed.