Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Questions About Auto Insurance and Accidents

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Alcohol and smoking deaths are self-inflicted but on the highway there are people ready to kill you. There is a difference there.

Think about how long it took for tougher drunk-driving laws. Or think about how anyone with a body temperature of 98.6 can pass our ridiculously simple driving tests and go out any buy a 600 HP car. Scary stuff.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Wise words from Grandpa. Trust no one. His blinker is on for a right turn? Presume it's been stuck for a week.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I really think that the greatest harm is that the police in PA do not come unless there is bodily injury...you can total out a car and come out unscathed, yet the cops do not come to determine who is, obviously or not obviously, at fault...that is a problem, IMO...that allows ANYONE to say anything at the scene and retract the story later...that can happen anywhere, but a police report, while not the Gospel, documenting what may be obvious (skid marks, witness names, etc) can certainly help to determine fault...

Other poster: people CAN suffer injuries at what most call a "low speed collision"...while this does not always happen, I had a client who fractured a cervical vertebra (i.e.broken neck) at being rear-ended at 10-15 mph...all you need is a 10-15 mph differential and the "whiplash effect" snaps your neck back and forth (or side to side) and can cause injury...yes, some do fake it, but the biomechanics of a low speed collision still can cause injury to the spine, and, no, seatbelts do NOTHING to stop that injury...some folks say that seatbelts ENHANCE the injury by holding your body in place, but that is preferable to having your body fly thru the windshield, a la Jayne Mansfield...
  • victor23victor23 Member Posts: 201
    Thanks, marsha7, for your comments. That was not "Other poster"; actually both posts were mine. In that case, there was no speed difference of 10-15 mph, it was indeed a NYC traffic jam with stop-and-go at ~5 mph, as much as I could gather. The rear-ended party only complained that he is late for the party, and nobody ever heard from him for 2 years, until recently. Legal experts say that what he is presenting looks like an X-ray of a very old spine problem, though a more thorough review is in order.
    Assuming the x-ray was taken shortly after the collision, any degenerative arthritis is proof positive of an old problem, simply because arthritic spurring and thinning discs take a lot of time to show up on film...years...if they were present at the time of the collision, they were probably pre-existing for at least a year or longer...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to Sandy victims who lost a car in the storm and are trying to replace it. If this fits your description, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 20, 2012 at 9 a.m. PT/noon ET.
  • sdunckel1sdunckel1 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter is insured under my policy (Allstate) and she recently was in a fender bender driving her grandmother's car. Her grandmother's insurance company is Gieco. Geico is wanting my daughter to give them a recorded statement. I've always heard to never to this. What would her grandmother's interest be in my daughter's recorded statement? Could she just give a written statement? What information is she required to give them that would not already be in the police report?

Thanks for your help
    tricky. you NEVER should give out recorded statements to the OTHER party's insurance company, but generally you are obligated to cooperate with your OWN insurance company and give such statements; however, since this is grandma's insurance company, what I would do is ask the claims agent to point out exactly upon what wording in grandma's policy is the agent is making this request. Be SURE that this agent does in fact represent GEICO. Also, if BOTH parties have GEICO insurance, I think I'd consult an attorney before giving the recorded statement.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Grandma loaned her car and her insurance coverage when daughter was involved in the fender bender. What was the extent of bodily injury and who have the police deemed to be at fault? As Gieco is Grandma's company, it would be prudent of daughter to cooperate with them as much as possible.

Reason for Non renewal: Insured uncooperative following claim.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    My Amica auto insurance is up for renewal. I currently have a $1k collision deductible that's $211. A $2k collision deductible would be $171. OR: "Limited collision" coverage is $28, & I'm tempted to go for that. (And yes, I know the limitations of "Limited collision" coverage--so I'm wary at the same time).

The car: a 12 y.o. bmw 528i, really nice condition, super low miles. The Amica agent said they would price the "retail value" at $8300.

One reason I'm thinking of the Limited collision coverage is that I've been putting on less than 1000 miles a year. However it is Metro-Boston area, with crazy drivers & all. I've had quite a few minor bashes on my various cars over many years--all the other drivers fault. The one time a car I owned was almost totaled--a guy rear-ended me, & stuck around, so even Limited collision would have paid I believe.

So at current prices, over 10 years I'd save $1830 by going with the Limited collision, vs. the $1k deductible--that's not nothing. I know it's a crap shoot, but what would anyone else do? TIA for any thoughts.
    Well, first impression is that I don't think Amica would pay you $8300 for that car if it were totaled, so you may be overvaluing your car somewhat.

My general rule of thumb about this is to drop collision when the car's value hits about $5000.

You are still above that by a bit, so I guess I'd still keep collision if I were you.

Since you drive very little, and since you wouldn't need collision insurance of any kind if someone hit you and it was THEIR fault, and since you are obviously a careful driver and not likely to smash up your own car, I think I'd keep the $1K deductible until such time as the car's value drops under $5K, then I'd go with the limited collision.

There's too little difference between $1K and $2K deductible to bother with that IMO.
  • ctdriver43ctdriver43 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Honda Civic (1.5 yrs old) which was rear-ended. It was just shy of 12K miles and is still driveable. I had just had scheduled maintenance done weeks before the accident and Hodna told me it was in perfect conditinon. I'm still waiting for the police report, but it was definitely not my fault.

My nsurance company estimates $3K damage without opening the trunk, which is sealed shut to keep out rain/snow. I was hit by a CRV which was rammed into me by a speeding hybrid (that car was totalled). Damage could be over $3K if they find something upon opening it, plus it's a unibody, so I don't know if impact damaged that. Even if I get this fixed 'perfectly', I'm sure its value will be lesser due to being in an accident if I try to sell it privately or use it as a trade-in

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I live in Connecticut, if that makes a difference on the laws.

Thanks!
    If I recall, and my memory may be failing me, limited collision means it pays to fix YOUR car only if the other guy is at fault, meaning you are discounting the premium and gambling on your own "driving skills", so if you are at fault, your own car will not be repaired, but if the other guy causes the wreck, your car can be fixed (if he is uninsured, for example)...

The difference between the $28 and the $211 is not really a lot, considering what it would cost to fix your car if you caused the collision...even if money is tight, I would just keep the $1K deductible on full collision and be done with it...
    Because the crash will not be your fault and due to very little exposure to traffic, consider replacing the $1,000 Collision Deductible with Underinsured Motorist Property Damage which has a $100 Deductible.
    Can you buy a UM policy for prop damage without the liability portion?
    Be careful with that---if the uninsured or underinsured motorist hot-foots it, and you cannot identify the culprit, you're screwed.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    edited January 2013
    Hi All,

So I recently went through the process of seriously researching coverage now that my wife and I are moving onto the same policy.

Her previous coverage was 500k CSL, my previous coverage was 250/500/100 - comprehensive, collision, and underinsured motorist deductibles were $500 for each of our policies and we had underinsured motorist coverage of $50,000 (each our cars are worth <$25k) and $35k PIP. We are each ticket free/accident free for 5 years. The quotes we got ranged widely and we ended up on settling with Travelers through our AAA agency - side note: Travelers came in $500/year cheaper than our next best quote from Safeco and saved us $200/yr on our renters insurance/umbrella. Here is my question: How do you know when you have enough coverage? Obviously more is better is the philosophy. At first I thought the cost differential would be huge, but here is how it broke down:

250/500/100 : $1274/year (for both cars, both drivers)
    500/500/500: $1314/year (both cars, both drivers)

We went with the 500/500/500 coverage because it seemed silly not to for such little cost differential, but I'm still curious if its totally overkill....
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    It depends on what you have to protect, and how much you want to inulate yourself from a possible judgment...if you own a nice house and many assets (you said you cars were worth under $25K), the more ins you have the "better" you are covered in the event you cause the wreck and seriously injure or kill the other person(s)...

Obviously, one can see the possibility of overkill, yet, if you caused a wreck and 2 or 3 people died, having 5 million may not be enough, yet we simply have to take chances.

My policy is a base of 100/300/100 with a million $$$ umbrella (the umbrella is $150 a year, so cost is not really a big issue)...

Then, you could go completely uninsured and be judgment-proof if you live in a tent and drive a car, but the responsible thing to do is to have at least 100K (IMO) which will cover 95% of most accidents...

Altho last year I had a case where it was a simple rear end collision, with the trunk ending up in the back seat...3 occupants in the struck car, which then rear-ended the car in front, so a total of 5 injured parties, 2 minor and 1 moderate and 2 serious...the liability olicy was 50/100...one guy did break his neck, so he got the first 50K (his neck surgery was $75K) and the others split the last 50K...my client had two injured lumbar discs, but since he was the last to settle, the liability policy only had $8,000 left for him...had the at-fault party had 100/300 it would have been better, and an umbrella policy would have been MUCH better...

Depends on your point of view who won...the at-fault party was not sued, since he was a 25 year old with no assets...so, you could say he got away with having a mediocre policy, but, if I was the one who caused those injuries, I would want to be sure they were adequately compensated...part of it is a moral issue, and some folks just want the state minimum of $25K liability...
    Basic Liability is needed to have UMPD endorsed onto the policy.
    Not really because in phantom driver and hit and run cases, the deductible is just more. Not being able to identify the culprit & you're screwed is a myth.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    So the cars that we have are not entirely reflective of our assets and makes me feel even better about the coverage we chose. We did also do a $1 million umbrella along with our renters insurance because it was basically free when factoring in the discount.

Thanks!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    We have 21st Century now and had Geico previously and we pay around $1700/yr for our two econo cars with upper average limits. Can anyone recommend some other companies to try? We're both in our late 50's and have taken the mature driving classes recently. State Farm and Allstate are always way high with their quotes...we are AARP members also. The wife puts maybe 15k/yr on hers but I only go maybe 1500 miles/yr if I'm lucky.

Any suggestions here?

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

well if it's a myth then it's a myth that actually happened to me !

Actually, that's only partially correct. I didn't play fair.

You're screwed if you have UM but no collision / comp AND you can't identify the culprit.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    You might try Farmers Ins. It would seem that you fit their profile, mature settled folks.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Farmers bought out 21st Century from the information I received. I tried USAA since both my folks and my father-in-law were all military during World War 2 but they told me we can't join up. From their commercials on t v though, they make it sound like being in the military or a descendant of one is eligibility enough. Something doesn't make sense here. I wonder if anyone else in here knows about the requirements for USAA?

The Sandman :confuse:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    I got a membership because my step-dad was a member. Are your parents or father-in-law members? Maybe they have to be members so you can join? USAA should be able to tell you how to qualify.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    Okay, how many of you know your rights?

Does your insurance policy cover what's in your trunk if your car is stolen?

HINT: It's all in the very teensy fine print.
    Most of my thoughts revolve around having as much protection as you can afford, and for many, insurance may not be a major expense...granted, for some who have bad driving records or have young drivers to insure, high limits may be too expensive...but, morally, I believe that you should havce as much coverage as possible, simply because that if you cause serious injuries, that injured party should be fairly compensated if you caused the wreck...and, yes, I am a personal injury attorney, so I have a vested interest in everyone having high coverage limits, BUT SO DOES THE INJURED PARTY!!!

Something else to check into, a rider that I have...you say you have a 1 mil umbrella policy, and that is good...you need to check and see if that 1 mil policy is only for your liability to others...I believe you also need (and I have) a 1 mil umbrella for my Uninsured/Underinsured policy, which also has base limits of 100/300...my company (Cincinnati) sells them separately, so a umbrella policy for liability (what I may do to others) and what others may do to me (U/M)...this way, if I am seriously injured, and the other clown has no insurance or minimum coverage (25K), I can collect from my own U/M policy for my injuries caused by him...remember, if he is a worthless piece of trash, I can get my million dollar judgment against him, but how will I collect???

Hence, the need for the million dollar umbrella U/M policy...some comapnies combine the umbrellas into one umbrella policy, but I will bet you many folks out there have great coverage for their liability, but have moderate coverage for U/M...100/300K is good, but, since anyone may be seriously injured, it was only another $155/year to cover MY injuries up to one million $$$...

Food for thought...
    They have all passed and when I called and gave them their info, I was told I was so outta luck. Seems a bit unfair since all three of them enlisted and my folks were both officers. But we were turned away regardless. :(

Mr. Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

edited January 2013
    Homeowners?...but the deductible might wipe it out.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    You should try State Farm, again.... to get the best rates, you'll have to add Homeowners, which can be a little pricy through them, but generally has superior coverage..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Near as I can tell, homeowners might cover personal property left in a stolen car, yes, but the "rider" on most insurance policies wouldn't--it only covers "affixed" property, so things bolted to the car essentially--so maybe your sub-woofers in the trunk.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Hmmm, what about Comprehensive? My son's vehicle was broken in to years ago, and everything that was stolen as well as the damages was covered by my comprehensive.
    Lucky him. It really depends on what the policy says. You always have to read the riders on personal property to see what limitations are set. Perhaps it's different when the contents are stolen but not the entire vehicle? This I don't know.
    I thought we always used to call Comprehensive by another name, Fire, Theft & Vandalism...
    In theory, but people are denied personal property damages all the time---either limits are set to the amount, or the "type" of personal property, etc. I don't think personal property is automatically covered regardless of type or amount.
    When the stolen vehicle has a tape or CD player that is permanently attached, some policies will extend to cover up to 6 tapes or CD's, but not a lifetime collection.
    So, they will pay for any Beyonce music I have, but my Barry Manilow and Elvis CDs are not replaced???
    Costello, yes.... Presley, no... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

How will I be able to lip-sync at the upcoming Super Bowl???
    "Practice, practice, practice." And if that doesn't work you will have qualified for Carnigie Hall. :)
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    What about Anne Murray? And are 8-tracks usually covered? =)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    8-tracks are always covered..

Anne Murray... wow.. :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited January 2013
    Way back when, I was quite excited when we got the van in the background, because it had an 8-track player AND it came with come tapes. There's nothing like the soothing melody of "Bridge over Troubled Water" with a track change mid-song. Plus, just look at it... sweet ride. You can't see the brown crushed velvet curtains, but if you could, you'd be jealous.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited January 2013
    Hey, those were nice vans. Most of them had that sign on them that said, "Don't come knockin", etc. Is that you in the middle? Looks like it might be Easter?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    It's me on the end - I'm the oldest child in the family.
    That van might as well have had such a sign. It had a sink & fridge in the middle, and a bench seat in back that folded flat. It was a repo that my dad got a deal on.

Date stamp in the corner says August '84, so no idea what the occasion was. Of course in our family, it wouldn't be out of the question that that photo was taken at Easter and the film not developed until August.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"There's nothing like the soothing melody of "Bridge over Troubled Water" with a track change mid-song."

And pain is all around (clack clack) like a bridge over (clack clack) troubled water (clack clack)...

Yeah, I remember 8 track.... :cry: :P
    edited January 2013
    I was going to guess Easter. :)

My first new car in '77 came with just an AM radio.. Off to the local car stereo installer for a Pioneer Super tuner AM/FM 8-Track. :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I actually know how to fix 8-track tapes...another useless talent! :P