Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Sorento

Comments

• Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I see. Land Rover has fewer car models than most automakers. I don't see any reasons why they can't concentrated on good products. Well, I do see they have been some financial hardship not long ago. Is it own by Ford now? I can't compare Kia with Toyota, Honda and Nissan. But it is definitely a big competition with those auto markers in far east like Suzuki and Isuzu (can't say Subaru because it is also growing strong). Just my thought. No offend. I hope Sorento will be your final choice.
  • Options
    ivygrnsorentoivygrnsorento Member Posts: 119
    For what it is worth...the only vehicle that was designed from the ground up by BMW is the RANGE ROVER...and that particular model was just released 8 months ago. From what I do understand, the Discovery does have the a BMW transmission...but very little else BMW.
  • Options
    1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    Yes, Land Rover is owned by Ford now. So is Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, and Astin Martin. I just can't imagine shelling out the cash for those uppity named vechicles, but deep down you think "good god, I'm driving a frickin ford!"
  • Options
    stockeystockey Member Posts: 40
    MotorWeek Presents Kia Sorento With Its Prestigious 2003 `Drivers` Choice` Award for Best Mid-Size S
  • Options
    brooklyn1951brooklyn1951 Member Posts: 71
    lok888- I checked out the access panel behind the netted first aid kit recess. There is really nothing in there except some plugs for the rear wiring harness and 2 nuts that presumably hold some trim on to the body. That's it. Taillight bulb access is gained by removing the two screws next to the rear hatch opening and taking the lens/reflector unit out. The bulb sockets can then be removed from this assembly.
    BTW- the service manual recommends removing the headlight/turn signal assembly to remove the bulbs. It comes out by unscrewing 3 screws that are visible when the hood is opened. No need to struggle in the tight space behind the headlight/turn signal unit as you tried to do. Like most automotive work, it is often easier in the long run to remove a few extra parts rather than cut up your hands and teach your kids a few new words!
  • Options
    mcclutzmcclutz Member Posts: 13
    I have just ordered a black EX-L today. realy excited and can't wait to have it delivered. I've been reviewing this forum for insight and thoughts for a while. Whomever posted to fax a bunch of dealers was great. I'm getting mine for $2000 less than MSRP.
    Now I'm looking to find aftermarket side steps (the chromed kind). Dealer cost is $695 installed, anyone got any websites they know of?
  • Options
    StevePIIIStevePIII Member Posts: 55
    Oddly enough, The First Kia ever to come to America was a Ford Festiva. Yes, people who bought a Ford Festiva -- were driving "Frickin Kia's"
  • Options
    brooklyn1951 - Thanks for checking. Changing light bulbs could be a difficult task for some cars. My mechanic used to take the battery out and removed some surrounding metal brackets before reaching his hands and changed the bulbs on my Accord. But I have never thought about taking the headlight assembly lens.

Also, have you looked at the issue on cargo light operation? Sometime the cargo light and interior light are on for only few seconds. They fade when the rear liftgate (no other doors are open) is fully open. However, when I use the keyless remote (press UNLOCK) and open the liftgate only, cargo light and interior are on until the liftgate is close. And when turn the reading light switch on (located on the dash, next to the cruise control switch), all interior light are on except the cargo light. Do I have the wrong cargo light switch setting? I think hicaffa also tired this and found the same thing.
  • Options
    1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    I did not know that. The Festiva was a Kia, eh? Now that you mention it, the Ford and Kia emblems are both oval aren't they? The Festiva came out in what, the late 70's early 80's? I remember when they replaced it in the early '90s with the Aspire. That thing didn't last long, but I still see several on the road. Keep in mind, a Ford isn't necessarily a bad thing. I said "frickin ford" because if you're driving an Astin Martin or a Jaguar, you don't want to think about Ford. However, can you see the "Taurus" in the new Jags? My dad had an '84 Mustang GT, sold it in September, it had 225k on it, and was the best vehicle he'd ever had. He had special ordered it. Surprisingly, even with 225k on it, he got 2 grand out of it, and sold it to the first people who looked at it, hadn't even put the for sale sign on it. Well, enough about that, this IS the Sorento forum, hahaha.
  • Options
    boredbored Member Posts: 300

Oh yes, definitely a Kia. What makes matters worse, is that they still assemble and sell the thing!

To people in the Sorento topic: Who's getting the best deals? Is there regional pricing? (Different regions, different prices, due to demand. THis is what I'm calling it, since I can't remember what the correct economical term for it is.)

Also, I haven't seen many Sorentos on the road! Get off this topic and drive! I need something to look at besides the occasional Camry!
  • Options
    sedanman2sedanman2 Member Posts: 26
    hello all, i am getting truck fever, and was wondering if the santa fe lx loaded for about 23500, or the sorento loaded for 26000 is a good deal. is there much difference between them. sorento seems pricey,can a loaded up sorento be had for the price of a loaded santa fe in nyc area? is there any bargaining on a 27000 truck that can take it down to 24ish thanks for any help.
  • Options
    mwitt58714mwitt58714 Member Posts: 44
    well i can tell you i have the santa fe lx loaded beautiful truck and im only 5'9" santa fe 2001 it sharp and handles great but along came the sorento so i gave that to my wife and bought a 2003 sorento ex loaded.....the full monty have 2700 miles so far its sharp and safe...a little more room up front 4 to 5 inches wider from what i hear than the cheerokee,highlander,there's one more i cant think of it...but let me tell you if you by the sorento youll be happy the only thing im looking for after market is the auto starter...lots of luck sedan man
  • Options
    I was poking around the internet and stumbled upon a european Kia Site. Apparently the Sorento can Ford (no pun intended) streams up to 17" Deep!
  • Options
    so_caliso_cali Member Posts: 65
    the fax-the-dealer method was my post and i use it every time! it works great and saves tons of money. post some photos of your black EX once you take delivery!

santa fe vs. sorrento - no contest! the santa fe is WAY too buggy looking. i call it the grasshopper suv. too bulbous - styling wise, for my taste. you can get a much more sleekly styled and loaded 2wd sorento EX for $23k if you shop around...why settle for a santa fe?

just passed 610 miles. it's now officially BROKEN IN!!! Yea, i can get into some serious driving now! no problems whatsoever and i still have not seen a single sorento driving on the road yet! exclusivity does tend to make one feel special!

My Sorento Page
  • Options
    Here are some interesting facts. Also found in http://global.kia.co.kr/

Kia found in 1944 in Seoul, South Korea. The company was first manufactured bicycle parts. Kia produced motorcycles, small cargo trucks in 1960's..... In 1986, Kia made Ford Festive for U.S.. Some Peugeot 604s were also made in Kia factory plant in 1979. Kia signed 20 dealers and sold cars in the United States in 1993. Kia also made Ford Aspire in 1994. Remember the Elan sports roadster in 1996? In 1998, Hyundai Motors won Kia Motors in auction. Kia entered into a strategies tie up with Hyundai and Diamler Chrysler in 2000. Kia offers the 10 years/100000 miles warranty since mid-2001 (2002 models) in the United States. There are more than 620 (and growing) Kia dealers in the United States in 2003. Kia also debut the KCD-1 Slice crossover concept car early this year in the L.A. Auto Show. Remember there were only 20 Kia dealers ten years ago! In the near future, Kia will bring the new Sportage in 2004. Then Hyundai/Kia will begin to roll their vehicles from their first U.S. factory plant in 2005.

We can hardly see the Ford Aspire (1994 model) around now. And maybe there will be the same thing for Kia Sorento in ten years later.
  • Options
    brooklyn1951brooklyn1951 Member Posts: 71
    Last nite I checked the operation of the interior lighting on my Sorento and it appears that lok888's is working as designed. Here are my observations-
    There are 3 light assemblies: 1)front-map light(s) 2)middle-dome light and 3)rear-cargo light. The dome light and cargo lights each have a 3 position switch to control their operation. The positions are: 1)On-all of the time 2)Timed On-only when door is opened and dims to off when door is closed and 3)Off-never turns on. The front map lights can only be turned on by their pushbutton switch OR with the instrument panel rheostat (dimmer) knob when the vehicle lights are on.
    Functionally, here's what I observed, with the cargo and dome lights set to the "door" position-
    1)The dome light and cargo light will illuminate when the door is opened and begin a timed "dim down" as soon as the door is closed 2)They will perform exactly the same when the hatch or rear glass is opened 3)The map lights and dome light will illuminate when the vehicle lights are on and the rheostat is turned past the detent (click).
    The lights as well as many other interior electrical devices are controlled by a "body" computer. This allows for features such as the dimming, battery run down protection and other niceties.
    As an aside, I sure wish the map lights would come on when the door is opened. The front passenger area is dark since the dome light is located too far back to help. The use of the "body" computer for lighting control complicates an easy alteration of this function.
  • Options
    mspurplemspurple Member Posts: 2
    Hello! My question: Are the Sorentos leased at all? I stopped at a dealer yesterday to pick up a brochure and was told people are only paying sticker. The salesman didn't like it when I said I would NEVER pay sticker for any car. Is it just not worth it to lease this vehicle because it's so new? Get this: He also told me there will be NO leasing on ANY vehicles any more. I realize some leasing is being done away with on GM vehicles, etc.; but in the newspapers I'm reading, there's still plenty of lease deals being offered for other vehicles. The guy was on me like a flea, so I left the dealership rather aggravated, but I still like the looks of the Sorento. It seems kind of pricey (being a Kia), and leasing typically does offer the option of cheaper payments, which is what I need.

Thanks for any information you can provide me! I'm still searching for my SUV.
  • Options
    Nope....no leasing of any Kia model. Right now the resale value of Kia's is too low to allow Leasing. Once the resale value of a Kia can better itself, banks will be willing and confident to lease a Kia brand car.
  • Options
    lilac0422lilac0422 Member Posts: 51
    I was on the NHTSA webpage and I found that there are five TSB's on the Sorento. Anyone have any idea what they are for? Four are in the other category and one is in the steering category. The four in the other category I don't think are anything important. It looks like they are just about training and accesories. Just the typical stuff when a manufacturer comes out with a new model. But I can't figure out about the steering one. Any idea?
  • Options
    dailydoubledailydouble Member Posts: 22
    I have to buy find a new car for my father. He is 60 years old and wants an "SUV" type. He has no need for 4WD and a budget of around $24K. With Buick rebates I think I can get the RDV CX 2wd or the Kia Sorrento EX for "more or less" the same price......any thoughts on what to get? I have 2 GM cars(Yukon and an Olds Alero) both are good, loads of features but my local dealer's service is "junk" ...I keep taking each of them back for small niggly warranty repairs that they "fix"...then I notice them again a day later and back I go again!..this worries me on GM quality... Are these Kia's too new to trust??
  • Options
    My Sorento is staying home today not because of a holiday. It is because we have snow (blizzard conditions), high tide and strong wind in MA (from ME to mid-Atlantic area). We properly get 18" to 24" of snow when the snow ends mid-afternoon tomorrow. It looks like she is going to stay home for another day.

brookyln1951 - Thanks for checking. I wish the cargo light will stay on when only the rear liftgate is open. This way, it will give more light in the cargo area when loading stuffs in the dark. Right now, the cargo light is only on for few seconds and fade when no other doors are open. We can turn the cargo light switch to ON or press UNLOCK (twice to signal the system to unlock all doors, including the rear liftgate) on the remote when we have to loading stuffs in the dark. I agree with the map lights issue. They won't turn when the door is open nor turn the main switch (near the dashboard). Anyway, this is not causing me any problems.

mspurple - I strongly suggest you and any potential Sorento buyers to use internet (like edmunds new cars and Kia website) to track down the vehicle "buy" price (get a price quote) from your local Kia dealers. Get the numbers before you go to car shopping. Faxing to the sales manager is also a good idea. But I found the internet worked prefect to me. I used it before I even go to the dealer. It is like you are doing an interview with several dealers online.
  • Options
    dailydouble - Very good choice for him. With the $3000 cash back or 0% for 60 months, he properly gets one (CX with 2WD) for $23K before the special offers from GM. The CX with AWD costs high $25K. In AL, he properly just needs 2WD. The Sorento LX 2WD is about $20K. The EX 2WD is about $22K. Kia also offers the 0% APR (no cash back) on Sorento. Good luck.
  • Options
    the buick is an aztek with different bumpers and headlights. i followed one yesterday on the road - BUTT UGLY with a big fat rear end.

please, do those of us who drive and have to see the visual polution created by these ugly GM abortions a favor and let them stay on the lots where they belong. the less people buy, the less GM makes, the less we have to avert our eyes from.

the sorento is WAY WAY nicer and it's not too new. kia has been selling and making them for over a year longer than they have been selling here in the usa.
  • Options
    I think with haggling with the dealers I could get either the EX sorrento or 2WD CX Buick RDV.....I just don't know what is "best".
    I'm trying to get peoples thoughts on like s an dislikes. My mom said "Kia" who makes them???..so with a Buick she knows who they are... it's my choice on what to get for them as my wife and I will get use of it too....ideally I'd like the GMC Envoy, but the budget don't quite let me get one....I know the 1st time either needs warranty work done...it will be "my" fault and they should have got the 'other' one... however..i DO agree with the last comment..the rear end on the RDV is kind of 'ugly'...
  • Options
    I don't know where you live, But I am sitting here in two feet of Snow (I live in the Northeast) and the 4wd Sorento is the way to go! How many RDV sites/forums can you find vs the Sorento? There is something special about the Sorento.
  • Options
    hollier1hollier1 Member Posts: 22
    I am in the process of looking to purchase a Sorento 2WD EX with ABS, rear spoiler, and luxury package. I got an internet bid of $25,420 MSRP and a Selling Price of $24,825 pls TT&L. I investigated further and there is a dealer prep add on of $590. Has anyone out there encountered this add on. The price I am shooting for is around $24,200. On cars.com the invoice price is $23,392. I would appreciate any input.
  • Options
    I agree. Sorento looks nicer than Buick RDV and Aztek (I think they only sold some 2000 Azteks in the first year). Dailydouble - Sorento EX 2WD seems to be a final choice for your dad.

StevePlll - The snow is still falling here in Quincy, MA and the northeast. It looks like we will have over 2' of snow tomorrow when the snow ends in the afternoon. My boss already said "No work" tomorrow. I will take my Sorento for a little ride and for more rock salt.
  • Options
    tee333tee333 Member Posts: 20
    first thing i told my dealer was that i didn't want to hear anything about dealer prep, ecthing
    etc. i also reminded him about kia past, sorento lack of history and depreciation. got my 4x2 ex with abs, rear spoiler and luxury package for 23,700.
  • Options
    hollier1hollier1 Member Posts: 22
    tee333,
    Thanks for your reply. 23,700 sounds great. I live in Louisiana and plan to contact dealers from Houston Tx. to Birmingham Al. Your feedback is helpful.
  • Options
    We have some serious discussions on towing capacity for Sorento. I am just curious if Sorento can be used for snow plowing? I remember I saw a Jeep Wrangler and some GMC SUVs with snow plow on. I am not interested in plowing snow with my Sorento. But just want to see if Sorento has the ability to do so.
  • Options
    saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
  • Options
    it was interesting to read the reply by tee333...."4x2 ex with abs, rear spoiler and luxury package for 23,700"
    is this out the door price or plus tax,title, destination.. etc??
    I wonder if this will fit into my 24k max budget ??? I think if i could get the above spec including the luxury package....then the sorento would definetly be chosen over the Buick RDV...I'm waiting for that 1000 cash back to be applied to the sorento like every other Kia has at present....Are any of the dealers haggling much? Edmunds TMV shows people are paying almost MSRP..as for needing 4WD.....live in NC at the beach....we would need 4WD for maybe 3 days of the year and not worth the extra cash..I'd just walk to the store ( or my parents would as it is for them)
    ps....the award it just won is pleasing....makes me realize i'm not making a bad choice.
    I guess i need to finally go test drive both one after another and compare side by side. I have only test drove the Kia so far and did like it..was just worried about "kia name"....I have a dealer close by that sells both.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My guess is that it would void your warranty, as does almost all non-factory equipped snow-plow vehicles. (Usually the Big-3 Full Sized Pickups have a "snow-plow prep" package)

If you could get one installed on it I'm sure it would plow fine :)

-mike
  • Options
    Just wanted to let you guys know that I was driving around NYC yesterday with my Trooper with TOD and it is amazing. The only time I got stuck was when I put it in 4-low range. The TOD system works great to get you un-stuck. While in TOD the power would shift around and the tires would dig in then stop then dig some more. The shifting of the power is great because it allows a spinning wheel to stop and grab on rather than just spin forever!

-mike
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    For any of us that went through this past storm in the northeast I was wondering if anybody got to try their Sorento in 4wd lo. My EX with Luxury (TOD) moved through the snow with no problem but when I went to put it in 4wd lo I noticed that it took about 15 to 20 seconds to engage. And as I drove off It just drove like it was stuck in one gear at a very slow pace, but it did move through all the deep stuff. Just wondering if anyone else had tried the 4wd lo and what reactions thay may have had.
  • Options
    Ummm...to the one asking about the comparisons between the Buick Rendezvous and the Kia Sorento. What are you thinking? I try not to question others opinions or fascinations with certain types of vehicles. Whatever makes you happy....I always say....BUT, if you do the research and read all the information and test reviews out there on both vehicles...you will find the Buick lacking in just about every catagory.

First of all...it's a Buick. 'nough said there. And, it's based on a mini-van platform at that. Something the Kia is certainly not. All the Buick RDV is, is a over glorified Aztek. Period. Oh, wait...and it really doesn't look that much better than an Aztek either.

So do what the rest of us here have done. Buy the Kia...get a great looking truck, great value, and great fun! And a great sense of doing yourself and your family right because you did the research, test drove the competition...and ultimitly chose the best SUV for the money.
  • Options
    They are just in totally different classes, kinda like comparing a sports car to a station wagon IMHO.

-mike
  • Options
    I did use the 4Lo. As you have, I have 4WD with TOD. You have to shift to N, then turn the 4WD switch from AUTO to 4Lo. You have to wait for 5 seconds and see the 4Lo green light is on. Then shift you car to D. You will hear a noise and feel a vibration. This is normal. Same procedures when you change it back to normal gear. You shouldn't drive the car more than 30 mph. I think that is the top speed. The idea is for pulling car from stuck mud or snow. Like you, I have never driven a 4WD vehicle before. And I properly engaged the 4Lo by accident. when I first bought my car. I didn't know how to turn it back. I drove my Sorento with 4Lo on for few miles. Then I somehow turned it to AUTO. I even called the Kia Roadside Assistant for help. The operator had to look at the owner's manual. I just figured out by myself. I hope this can help.
  • Options
    tee333tee333 Member Posts: 20
    price is with destination 495, minus tax. free lifetime inspection and 3 free oil changes also included.
  • Options
    $23,000 plus tax and license for my 2wd EX with rear spoiler, ABS and luxury package.

go back in this forum and read my "fax-the-dealer" method of getting a deal like this!!

My Sorento Page
  • Options
    newowner5newowner5 Member Posts: 1
    Just signed the paperwork this morning to make my purchase of my Sorento EX official. The only thing that it doesn't have that I want/need is the tow hitch...I got a quote on what they'd charge to install it, but it sounded high to me. What have other folks been able to get the tow hitch and harness added for? And are there any after-market hitches out for the Sorento?
  • Options
    I must paid the higher money for my Sorento. I paid $26K for my Sorento EX, 4WD, luxury package with T.O.D., spoiler, ABS, auto leveling, cargo tray and mud guards in December. It has almost everything except the tow hitch, no other factory accessories were added. The MSRP was $27220.00. I tired several dealers and this was the lowest. Many were paying MSRP or few hundreds below MSRP back then. There wasn't 0% APM in December but they got me 3.9% while most local banks wanted 5.9% or more. Anyway, I am happy what I paid for. I am sure people can get one of this for $25.5K. I have no regret. Indeed, she helped me to get through several snow storms, including the latest one on the President's Day with 27.5" of snow here in eastern MA.
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    In case no body caught it, Motor Week which has its show on most public TV stations where they test and review autos and trucks, pick the 2003 Sorento as its mid size SUV of the year. The write up is up at the Kia web site under news releases. A very good article. Makes me think that we are very smart and sharp consumers in buying the Sorento.
  • Options
    sounds like a good plan...fax as many dealers with reqs and then tell them the price!...
    ps...your Kia is the EXACT spec and color I'd like!....did you get 4WD ??? I see from one of your pictures you have the knob on the lower left side of the steering wheel??
  • Options
    here is a copy of my fax:

ATTENTION: KIA NEW CAR SALES MANAGER
    I am in the market for a 2003 Sorento EX Sport Utility 2WD in Alpine Gray. I might consider a 4WD but I definitely want an EX in the Alpine Gray.

I am willing to pay you dealer invoice from Kia, which I will want to see, for the 2WD with ABS, the Luxury Pkg, Rear Spoiler and Destination, plus tax and license.

I am well aware that you can find customers to pay more than this amount but with me you roll another vehicle and make your holdback and any Kia incentives that are available to you, so why not sell a vehicle to both of us? Plus I am contacting you directly so that you could do this as a house deal if you like. If you want to sell me this vehicle at this price I am ready to buy today! Please contact me at the number below. Also, you can save your time and mine by not having someone call to haggle with me to get me to pay more or to belittle or challenge my offer. We can either do an intelligent, high integrity, fast, easy, no hassle deal at the dealer invoice price or not, it's your choice.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully yours,

One of the most critical sentences is the one that says your are ready to buy TODAY. When they read that, you become a number in their sales totals rather than a stroke or time waster. ALL the dealers (except one with no inventory) called me from the above fax and ALL of them were willing to sell it at their invoice except one that wanted $100 over their invoice. I actually ended up getting it for $450 UNDER dealer invoice from the dealer closest to my house who really wanted my business and plainly stated he was giving me the best deal because he was interested in getting his sales figures up. This dealership also turned out to be the only one with the color combo I wanted (note that the dealer invoices from Kia, at least in this region, all show an advertising fee of around $400 which varies and is based on the percentage price of the vehicle.)

btw, the 2wd EX has the dash knob too.

My Sorento Page
  • Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what does your dash knob do if you don't have 4WD?
  • Options
    is there for SNOW mode, which changes the way the auto tranny shifts in snow during forward driving. It starts out in 2nd gear and never goes into 1st gear -- to help give better traction. given where i live, unless i drive up to the mountains i don't expect to be using the snow mode much!
  • Options
    That is similar to my purchase technique. I E-mail or Fax or go into a dealer and say:

This is what I want, this is what I'll pay, If you agree, I will sign the papers now, if not in exactly 5 minutes I will be in my car and out the door, if I do sign the papers in 1/2hr I will be out of here and you will have a sale.

They love that approach, cause it's easy money for them that way.

-mike
  • Options
    Thank you both for your insight on how to tell THEM what you want to pay... I will also be in a position to give them CASH/Check (Remember that?) on the spot!
    I THINK I will do a little bit of 'Sunday shopping' when they are closed at a couple of local dealers. Pick out the 'one' I want, do my homework on price and either go offer 'x' amount on the one I want or do the fax method...both are direct and good. The dealer ALWAYS tries to play the "we will lose money" game, but there are plenty more fish in the sea...
    However....I have to wait until Mid-late March until I can buy.
  • Options
    I just found an interesting articles from MSN about SUV. See www.bcentral.com/articles/anthony/148.asp