Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento

Comments

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I guess we won't see a totally redesigned Sorento until 2008 model year. I just saw a picture of a 2007 Sorento with minor change with the headlights, bumper and grill. They mentioned the interior is all new with a rumor of a 3.8L V6 from Hyundai Azera.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2006 Kia Sedona: Smooth, Quiet, Powerful (The Driving Woman)

Steve, Host
  • beyond_helpbeyond_help Member Posts: 110
    in reading my owners manuel for my 05 sorento and Kia online 06 sorento warranty information you might be surprised to see what is not covered under the 5 year or 60k warranty but runs out at 2 years or 24k which ever comes first in the USA. the state of califorina is somewhat different
    Can you mention some of them? According to my owners manuel for my 2003 Sorento, most parts of the car are covered under the 5 year basic warranty except the stereo system for 3 year/36000 miles. 2 years or 24000 miles could be the battery. And 1 year/12000 miles is the light bulbs, windshield wiper, etc.
  • beyond_helpbeyond_help Member Posts: 110
    on page 15 of my 05 sorento manuel starts "Federal Emission Control Warranty"

on the following pages 15 to 24 are listed what componets are warrantied by kia either for 2/24 or 96 months/80

items like exhaust maniflods, ingition coils, crankshaft and cam positioners sensors, as well as almost all other sensors including vehicle speed sensor arn't covered after 2/24

also on page 3 is a graph of what is covered by time and milage

this is my understanding of warranties in my manuel

if Kia basic warranty exceeds the federal standard warranty for these items i can't find it written anywhere

i guess if you called your Kia dealer and ask them and you trusted their answer

i certainly should think if one of my ignition coils failed at 59k it would be warranty, but somehow i think Kia would use the federal warranty to say "no warranty after 2/24"
  • aussiesorentoaussiesorento Member Posts: 1
    I have got another remote but need to program it by jumping pins 5 and 17 on the DLC connector. I have found the connector but none of the pins are numbered. It has 2 long rows and one short. I would not like to wreck the onboard electrics with trial and error
  • bp25bp25 Member Posts: 11
    http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/2006/02/2007-kia-sorento.html#comments

Kia sorento had a re-fresh for 2007, it will get the new 3.3 litre lambda engine and a bit more refinement. In my opinion it looks almost the same, except a bit cleaner. Overall, I think it looks great!!
    I saw the spy photo on the same website a month ago. It was just a front end shot. Still no picture about the tailgate design now. The previous article (same site) mentioned a possible 3.8L V6 engine from 2006 Hyundai Azera, not 3.3L. They also claimed a whole new interior design for 2007 Sorento. Is that an indication a total redesigned Sorento in 2008 year model or a whole new SUV line? I think I should hold on to my '03 Sorento for two more years.
  • jtzjtz Member Posts: 37
    To see this nice looking Sorento just click http://www.autowereld.com/autonieuws/detail.asp?artikel=3117
  • danvancedanvance Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

We have the luxery package which comes with Torque on Demand. With this option you have, 4WD low and Auto 4WD. I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket way of forcing full time 4WD. It seems like full time 4WD gives a lot better traction during the winter storms we get.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Nice photos! Are they using the red turn signals like some Japanese cars these days? Will they offer one color tone for an EX model?
    Hi Daniel. I have the same equipments on my '03 Sorento. Love it! The automatic 4WD system on Sorento transfers up to 50% of power from the rear wheels to the front wheels on slippy road condition. It is about 80% on rear and 20% front on dry pavements. The Torque on Demand is a bonus feature to transfer power from the left rear wheel to the right, or right to left. I hardly use the 4Lo feature unless you go off-road or heavy snow. The Auto mode and snow tires are perfect for the winter.
    Hope to confirm what engine that the 2007 Kia Sorento will use. Rumors indicate that a 3.8L V6 (263hp) from Hyundai Azera will be used. But several recent articles showed a 3.3L V6 with 235hp. Are they going to safe the 3.8L V6 on 2008 Sorento, a totally redesigned model?
  • sbilbreysbilbrey Member Posts: 3
    I hope this is not to stupid - Brake light out in the tail lights, bought bulbs, can't figure out how to get into tail light assembly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sammer
    sammy.r.bilbrey@jpmchase.com
    Open up the rear liftgate. Remove three screws on the tail light lens assemble/housing. Remove the assemble from the car. Locate the light bulb socket. Replace it with a new one.
    I found the two screws that are exposed with the lifting of the tailgate. I will look again for a third. Do I have to get to it from the back somehow? Thanks,
    Sammer
    It could be two or three screws. I don't remember. The lens assemble will not fall off to the ground when screws are removed, so don't worry about dropping it on the ground by accident. You need to unplug the light sockets first, just turn the sockets anti-clockwise (or clockwise, I don't remember). Then hold on to the lens assemble because it will fall.

You need to get it from the front. I know some cars that you can replace bulbs inside the car trunk. For Sorento, you need to remove the lens assemble first.

See this tail light lens assemble
    That 3.3L engine I am assuming that it is not for the U.S. only for Europe. That facelift picture I showed is Europe's version of the Sorento. I am thinking USA's version of the facelift Sorento will have a 3.5L and Optional 3.8L or maybe a standard 3.8L like the Azera. My question is when USA does get the new 3.8L Sorento will it's towing capacity also increase or stay the same like the new Sedona? Trust me, Kia will never decrease their Sorento from a 3.5L to a 3.3L in the States.
    I agree. I think Kia will use the 3.8L 263 hp V6 from Azera on the next Sorento. I doubt they will use it on 2007 model with facelift, probably saves for the totally redesigned 2008 model.

Although the Sorento is still good looking, many features are missing or outdated when compare with many new Hyundai/Kia vehicles these days. I would like to see the stability and traction control, standard ABS, etc. I think 3500 lb. is the towing capacity for many mid-size SUVs these days.
  • dealer13dealer13 Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,
    I have been discussing for few days with some of my friends regarding Sorento's capabilities on off-road tracks as well as on snow. I happen to own an EX 2.5 CRDI with part time 4W. I have never had any problems but lately I have seen some local news about Sorentos' being towed by Cherokees in snow. I did not want to believe it and then my friends started saying that Sorento did not have necessary apparatus for being considered a proper off roader. They even tease me saying it is just a car like Sportage, CRV etc. One of them even said it is a big station wagon. Tried to defend Sorento but they told me it does not have a diff lock and a special transmission for offroading. Any opinions on that will be appreciated.
    How does anyone really know that the Sorento will be redesigned in 2008? More articles of Kia's future models are mentioning an SUV that will be bigger than the Sorento just not 100% sure on the Year. I guess I am the only one who found this article because no one else on here mentioned this; as a result, here is the fact mentioned all the way at the bottom that mentions the SUV bigger than the Sorento. http://star-motoring.com/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/features/2005/kia050- - - 9.html&sec=
    I am not sure if 2008 is the year for a totally redesigned Sorento. I am just thinking 2007 model will be the fifth production year. I thought Kia was going to drop the Sportage line after nearly 10 old years small SUV and disapperance after 2002 model year. But it returned in 2004. And you (the article) must be talking about the concept SUV, Kia Mesa. Actually, you can find the information on Edmunds.com under future cars. It mentioned that Mesa is slightly larger than Sorento.
    Hey dealer13, The Sorento is a true off roader. Tell your friends to go to Edmunds .com and compare both the Cherokee and Sorento just them two. The Sorento does have a differential standard in the rear and optional in the center. The Jeep has Optional in the front and Optional in the center. Also before the Jeep was upgraded the Jeep didn't have a full time 4WD. Tell them to wait for the upgraded Sorento to appear with a 3.8 liter V6 engine a liter over the Cherokee with a 3.7 liter V6. The upgrade Sorento will have way more horsepower than the Cherokees 210 (even the New Sedona has more horsepower than that). http://www.cartoday.com/content/news/singlepage.asp?in=7790

If they still don't believe you, don't worry because that just shows Kia not only has "The Power To Surprise" but the Power to make Jeep Lovers ENVY. Moreover, if they still are talking s*** than show them the soon to be SUV to compete with that Hummer wanna be Commander it let them envy this big baby. http://www.babez.ed/kia/mesa.php I sure this Kia has a part time 4WD with a power liftgate. The Kia Sephia times are dead. About the Sportage, tell them it just won the JD Power and associates award for least problems than any SUV in it's class, did the Liberty win?
    http://www.kia.com/092205.php
    Also tell your Jeep lovers that Kia is already ready to compete with the Jeep Compass that is coming out. http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Car_Shows/Chicago_Auto_Show/Kia_Teases- - _the_Future_with_Multi-s.s289.A10002.html

Is Jeep Ready though?
    FYI: The trick is to remove the two screws that are exposed when the tailgate is open, then push the tail light assembly towards the center of the car. There are two more screws that come into the tail light assembly from inside the fenders and you slide the assembly to get it out from behind these.

Sam
  • goldsuvgoldsuv Member Posts: 51
    The facelifted Sorento(2006.5?) is on the Kia website now.
    See http://www.kiamotors.com/Common/img/MS/so_style.html
    Very nice! I like the film. A 3.3L V6 engine with 238hp, optional 17" wheels, 4 wheel ABS with EBD, dual climate control and with new interior design. I hope Kia will bring that one to the states soon. I hope Kia (or EPA) will give out the gas consumption date. I went to the Korean Kia site and couldn't find anything on Sorento. Will that 2006.5 or 2007 Sorento for us?
    Who said that?

I noticed the length has increased. The interior looks good. It also looks sleeker on the outside. So it is considered a 2006.5 huh not 2007? Ok. I'm wondering if it will appear at the NEW YORK Auto Show. I hope so.
    I hope someone can answer this. I know the Sorento has gotten a new engine upgrade; furthermore,I know that Hyundai redesigned their Sante Fe. Is the new Sante Fe going to be a truck based SUV like the Sorento or still a care base? I want to know.
  • goldsuvgoldsuv Member Posts: 51
    It is still car based. It is based on the Sonata platform.
    I think we really want to see more of this truck other than just the exterior right. I have a photo that shows the radio and nothing is cut off. After ever one takes a good look at the interior, click on the other image I put down and see which looks better ok? http://www.auto.cz/prilohy/zeneva_2006/index.php?obsah=ki best photos of facelift Sorento so far. Next click http://www.jeep.com/grand_cherokee/photos_video.html and search for its interior and take a good look at the seats and dash board of both pictures ok? This is a facelift. This is NICE! :D
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I would have figured the latest rendition of the Sorento would have the same 3.8L V6 as is currently in the Hyundai Azera. A larger engine with more power and better fuel economy would be a big hit for the Sorento. I really like the looks and I have test driven a couple of different Sorento's but I wasn't too keen on the ouput of the 3.5L V6 or on the less than stellar fuel economy.

Any other informaiton about the possible upgrages for the Sorento?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The new engine, new interior and extensive list of safety equipment should be enough for the Kia Sorento to better take on the smaller and weaker Honda CR-V. Kia's 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty doesn't hurt either."

2007 Kia Sorento (Inside Line)

And a blog blurb with a different photo. (Straightline)

Steve, Host
    The Sorento does have the 3.8 liter ;however, I think it has the Mojave's engine instead of the Azera's. The Santa fe has the Sonata's engine right; as a result, it is a car base SUV. Nevertheless, the Sorento is a truck and so is the Mojave. The new Sorento is already out in South Korea; consequently, you can go to http://www.kia.co/kr Because the Sorento now has a 3.8 liter V6 and can pull 5000 lbs with 262hp, maybe it is not in the same class as the Honda CR-V but the Pilot, the seats, features, dash, performance and safety says so. Lastly, I am glad the Sorento will not have 3rd row. They take up to much cargo space ;plus, I think the interior looks better without it.

Only question I have about the 07' Sorento is will the automatic leveling device be available or not?
    Finally!! We were wondering Kia would put a 3.5L V6. But it is 3.8L now. Great news!
  • setsailsetsail Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new Kia Sorento 2006 on the 11th of April 2006 in Denver Colorado from Peak Kia last week. Manufactured 1/06, 4x4 EX model, with lux package, leather, tow package, spoiler, no running boards, cargo mat, ABS. It was stickered at 30,500 and I paid 23,000 after rebates and before tax. I have put on about a 1,000 miles since the purchase and I am very pleased. One bit of advice, I immediately started punching buttons on the console and reset the altimeter to zero. Because of poor design there is no way to set the altimeter to your present altitude. Mine was initially set at sea level which if I had left it alone would have given fairly accurate altimeter readings. Now the only way I can get the device to read accurately is to drive to the ocean and reset it. That's a long trip from Colorado to fix an altimeter. Also there is no built in XM radio option. Otherwise it's a great car! Hope that helps anyone who is shopping for one in the near future.
    Sounds like a great deal!!! I paid a lot more back in 11/02 for my fully loaded '03 EX, 4WD, Lux Pk with tow and running boards.
  • hambyhamby Member Posts: 17
    Actually, you do not need to drive to the ocean to reset your altimeter. The altitude reading is based on barametric readings. Go on the internet and you can find a scale that equates barametric pressure to altitude for your area. Once you you know what pressure reading equals sea level you can wait for a high pressure front to move in and reset the altimeter when the pressure increases.
    It's refined and powerful! Just wondering the gas mileage. And, still no remote release fuel door and roof mounted or in-glass radio antenna?? And we still need to power front passenger seat.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I have an 03 Sorento 4x4 with luxury package.I average 15 mpg on average commuting but 20 mpg only freeway use.I have an urge to downsize but I love all the toys this thing has and the view of the road.I need to be convinced
    I would not be happy in :confuse: less car just for 25mpg.
  • jcberjcber Member Posts: 2
    I have a brand new Sorento LX 2006...just got 3 months ago...I notice that every time the air is on, it makes like a air release (compression) noise...I took it back to the dealership and they told me that is normal, there is some type of flap on it or something like that...just wondering if anyone else notices the same air release noise....it drives me nuts...
    thanks
    How is the noise sound like? Where is it come from? I heard some noise from undernealth the glove box. It could be a blow fan motor or some leaves or debit struck in the air filter or vents.
  • jcberjcber Member Posts: 2
    Actually, I did bring it back the week after and a general service manager dorve and heard it...he said something like a flap, but it makes like a compression leak sound....it's definitely not leaves, it sound like compressed air leaking...to be honest with you, I like to drive without the radio and it really gets annoying....in all the cars that I've had (47 years old) this is the only one that makes the noise...any suggestions?
    I was in my dealer for service yesterday and saw a 2005 Sorento EX (4WD with lux package - $29K). Then I saw there is a $5000 cash back for 2005 Sorento at Kia.com plus $500 for current Sorento owner. I didn't talk to anyone there. It sounds like a great deal. Do I expect little or huge dealer discount in addition to cash back? Anyone still buying 2005 model? It seems like they are 2 years old already since many 2007 MY are out there now.
  • tee335tee335 Member Posts: 3
    i read u put a navigation system in your sorento. can u tell me anything about the system, did u get a perfect fit,price ect.
    Guys. Any news or updates about when the 2007 Sorento will be here? September? I wish they were here now like many 2007 Toyota vehicles.
  • nmooneynmooney Member Posts: 3
    I just bought the same vehicle a few mos. ago used, and I get 19 or 20 around town, 24 or 25 on the highway (at 78 mph.) I am convinced that it is not the car, but the driver who makes the mileage since my Hyundai XG350 has the same relative performance to other owners.

So don't sell this great truck: learn how to more economically drive it (unless stop and go commuting makes that impossible...)
  • nvestg8rnvestg8r Member Posts: 20
    Yea...any word as to when they debut?
  • nvestg8rnvestg8r Member Posts: 20
    Late October to early November 06' is the word from Kia direct....I answered my own question :)