Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Sorento

Comments

• Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Also, check out www.kiamedia.com for details.
  • Options
    nvestg8rnvestg8r Member Posts: 20
    Thanks
  • Options
    Guys/Gals....I'm considering buying an 07'Sorento when they arrive. I am a 24 hour caregiver for my mom. I know it has a great warranty and all; but, I really can't afford to be going back and forth to a dealer that's one hour away from my house 2 hours round trip, not to mention car rental fees. Please give your honest opinion as to whether or not to your knowledge there are any major or minor problems with this vehicle currently that you personally have experienced or heard of from reliable sources and if you feel this vehicle has been or is dependable for you. I currently own a 2003 Buick LeSabre. It has had NO problems at all, no recalls to speak of and is VERY dependable. This is the kinda vehicle I know we all want and need but sometimes vehicles fall short of our expectations. Your feeback will greatly be appreciated. :)
  • Options
    beyond_helpbeyond_help Member Posts: 110
    lots of problems with my 05 sorento, some major, i will never buy another kia product
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may find it helpful to browse through the Consumer Ratings. There's a link the top of every Forums page that will take you to the reviews for any vehicle.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Thanks for your input :)
  • Options
    Thanks tide man :D
  • Options
    I have a 2003 Kia Sorento. I do have a lot of problems with my Sorento. But all of them were repaired under warranty. Thing is there are only few dealers around and it's to find a good & trusted one for services. I will still consider Sorento (07 or future model).
  • Options
    You are sooooo right on that. I know where I can find a reputable dealer. Thing is (as you say)it's 1 hour away from my house and as I've stated in my original e-mail, I don't have time to be riding back and forth to a dealer and renting cars. I've already got a buyer for my 03' Buick and they are waiting until the 07' Sorento arrives to purchase; that is, if I don't chicken out before based on info I receive from this and other websites.
  • Options
    yankeewhaleryankeewhaler Member Posts: 2
    i have an eclipse double din unit in my 2004 ex.paid 1200 for the unit on ebay..had it professionally installed for 300..looks factory...this would be a good time to put a real amplifier in too.. the factory unit has nopower,, i used a small alpine and it uses the factory wiring..
  • Options
    tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I bought a used 03 Sorrento and have put
    10000 miles on it in a year and now has 48000.
    The only problem is the door locks lock by
    themselves which is good if you park on the street but an irritant if you park in a garage.
    I recently went to a movie at 4pm (daylight).
    I locked the doors then remembered the tonneau
    cover was not pulled so I unlocked the hatch
    to pull the cover.I forgot to lock the hatch.
    Anyway after being in the movie 2 hours I came
    out and the hatch was open.A thief took my
    emergency roadside kit but that is all.He must have thought it was a laptop computer.This SUV
    has been more reliable than my Toyota.Driving
    is great,lot's of power,very light steering so
    you can zip in parking lots with one finger.
    MPG compares to most 3.5 liter trucks.Quality
    of materials is much better than the 98 Explorer I had.The torquey engine does not need a lot of revs to go fast unlike the FORD
    4.0.Sorrento is a highly underrated vehicle!
  • Options
    According to another reliable trade publication the Kia Sorento has had and still is experiencing significant electrical problems throughout the vehicle. As always if Steve, Tidester, or anyone else out there could lend a hand in this matter I would appreciate your input.If you could you please leave a post as to what kind of electrical problem you had and the year model vehicle this would be EXTREMELY helpful in me making my decision to go with Kia or not................Thanks
  • Options
    mrjammermrjammer Member Posts: 6
    2004 Sorento EX pur 12/31/2004 (traded in my 2003 with $30K and NO problems to get a new one with a new warranty due to a great trade-in and $3K rebate) also have had NO problems.
    Don't listen to the nay sayers. Lexus and Mercedes and BMW have them too! I doubt if my experience is rare. Complainers are always louder than satisfied owners.
    It's a great SUV!!!
  • Options
    mrjammer......thanks so much for your time you took to reply. I really apperciate and value your input.............. nvestg8r :)
  • Options
    Strange things happening on my 2003 Kia Sorento. It has 47500 miles now. I went to dealer for these problems but they couldn't find anything wrong. But it's happening occasionally.

* Speedometer was racing up and down while driving on a highway. Then it suddenly dropped to 0 mph. It lasted for miles, no matter I hit the gas or brake pedals, still 0 mph. The RPM showed normally. The cruise control was not working during that time.

* Lost power steering. Steering wheel moves freely when I first start the car. It is getting hard when driving for a while. The power steering fluid level is good and there is no leak. By the way, last time same thing happened and my dealer found the leaking power steering rack.

* Low fuel warning light was on and fuel gauge at "E" level. It happens occasionally and when I have at least half a tank of gas. And I was on a flat surfaced road.

Any suggestions, folks? I left my car at the dealer half a day yesterday and couldn't find anything wrong. My dealer told it could be some electrical problems which I need to drop off the car there for longer to check.
  • Options
    Thanks lok888...........This sounds in line with electrical problems that are still around; perhaps somewhat less, but still there. I really appreciate your input as well. If I do get an 07' I'm going to give enough time (about 3 months) to see what others say before I buy. Thanks again :)
  • Options
    This looks like the Korean or European verison of the new Kia Sorento.link title

Please click on International, then Showroom, then SUV&MPV, then on Sorento.
  • Options
    Thanks so much! It looks a little smaller than the 06's but I realize it's the European version. I really appreciate your sending me the link. Thanks again
  • Options
    Probably different camera angles. It's the same size but the '07 receives a new 3.5L V6 engine, new front grill & bumper design, new headlights and new interior.
  • Options
    Your right about the camera angle and I can't wait for the new engine. If they get the electrical problems fixed I'm planning on getting the 07'. Thanks again
  • Options
    babaemobabaemo Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 Sorento and the transfer case and the front defferntials are bad(making link noise). The Kia people don't want to cover it under warranty. First they say it is because I change 2 tires instead of all 4 and now they say we did not rotate the tires every 7500 miles.
    Anybody have this problem. What should I do. :(:(
  • Options
    Why not cover it? My transfer case was replaced at 7500 miles on my '03 Sorento. What's the problem with yours? Mine drove like I was in 2Lo at the time while it was in AUTO mode. Have you tried any dealer? I will insist the problem is not tire related or contact the Kia Consumer Affairs for assistant.
  • Options
    I am too interested in the '07 Sorento. Just because the problems that I have on my '03. It's driving me crazy with the latest problems.
  • Options
    Sounds as if you have a 4X4 and the front diff may be dry ( out of oil) or one side or both of the bearings are shot. Regardless, it dosen't seem as they are too sympathetic towards your problem. Anyway, this is just a snap diagnosis and I appreciate your sending me the info. Every bit helps when I get to making the final decision on whether to buy or not to but. THAT! is the question...........Thanks :D
  • Options
    grbossmangrbossman Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the fuel gauge on my 2003 Sorento, as it bobbles up and down after several miles, and hovers around empty. Did they tell what the fix was?
  • Options
    Some mentioned a faulty fuel level sensor here before. I was in the shop for the lost of power steering and speedometer problem yesterday. They told some parts are needed to order.
  • Options
    goldsuvgoldsuv Member Posts: 51
    Here are some pictures of the next generation Sorento.
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?DID=RSS&n=178&sid=178&article=10762

It says 2007 but it is 2009 model.
  • Options
    jtzjtz Member Posts: 37
    Hmmmm, I wonder if this is the Mesa. The reason why I say that is because the grill on the spy shot reminds me of the Mesa concept. The grill does not have the badge located in the middle just like the Mesa didn't. The Mesa badge, badged Kia,was located above the three chrome bars.

They covered it up so good; it is hard to tell if the rear pillars will be slanted like the Mesa concept, or will it be straight up like the Jeep.
  • Options
    goldsuvgoldsuv Member Posts: 51
    Yes, I think you are right. Other forums are saying it is a large SUV above Sorento. It has 6 bolt wheels like the Mesa.
  • Options
    beaver95beaver95 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know an approximate date that the 07 will be available. The current $4K rebate is real attractive but the new engine sounds more attractive with the better fuel economy and increased towing capacity.

I have a 06' Sedona and love it. Trying to decide on waiting for the 07' Sorento or not. Any information about the 07 would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I heard from a dealer that the 07' Sorentos were already "in port" and waiting for distribution. The dealer didn't know what the date was for launch, or at least didn't say. I too was considering the 4K rebate when I talked to a dealer; but as you stated, I'm waiting on the 07's. Afterall, the rebate will only get better not worse.
  • Options
    I guess some are here already. But I think we won't see them in the showroom until after mid-September. I would wait at least few months for a significate factory incentice (cash back or lower finance rates) and dealer discount. I am consider the '07 too.
  • Options
    priuscrusherpriuscrusher Member Posts: 8
    Since i drove my 2006 lx off the lot I have been to Kia 3 times and each time they say it is fixed. The squeal happens in first inch of brake pedal play but goes away in rain and extreme heat ( Florida afternoons ) but it is so loud I have never heard another vehicle so loud.
    Any ideas??
  • Options
    It perhaps could be a "wear indicator" clip that is somehow bent and they didn't notice when they removed the wheel to inspect the brakes. Just a guess
  • Options
    priuscrusherpriuscrusher Member Posts: 8
    Not a bad idea but they are now saying that all sorento's have squeaky brakes and it is normal. It is so loud it is hard to believe he said it with a straight face haha. Anyway, I luv my Sorento but this is unbelievable.

thx
  • Options
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Options
    taomernitaomerni Member Posts: 18
    Hi .. I have been reading this board for 6 months since we bought our Sorento . I live in an area where their are no KIA dealers for over an hour away . When we were looking for a replacement vehicle for our Chevy( Lemon) venture , A dealer asked if we were interested in test driving a Kia Sorento . I looked at him and said .. Naaa .. I don't like Kia's I have test drove 3 or 4 Sportages and they look nice but I just didn't like the stiff seats , and the relatively cheap feeling I got driving them . He explained this was a 2003 Sorento , not a Sportage . We drove this vehicle with disbelief . It is the NICEST , Smoothest , Classiest rides I have ever been in . My wife actually was the one to be driving this vehicle and by the look in her eyes I knew we were getting one of these . The 2003 we test drove was 18 grand with 45k miles . I did an online search and found one at a dealer with 32k miles for $13,900. I figured this would be the LX , Not the EX, but after a phone call I verified it was a LOADED EX. We drove down and seen the vehicle , I noticed the stock tires were in bad shape ( 1 in particular ) but they were including a NEW set of tires with the price . I got them down to 13,750 and we drove the car off the lot that day . I got home and noticed a headlight was burned out . I found this forum and see that the Michelin tires that were stock were garbage , and to replace the bulb with a Sylvania OEM bulbs . The other headlight went out a week after I replaced the driver side . So I put another Sylvania bulb in and low and behold we are going on 6 months of trouble free , eye turning , Lexus RX 300 looks at 1 fifth of the cost . I read that they had a production problem of the bulbs for a while , so try a new Sylvania bulb from walmart . It seems to be working for me . If the bulbs last a year or 2 , that will be the least of my worries . My venture had over $3500 repair bills in a 3 week period before we got the KIA . (Head Gasket , Blown tranny , window switch , Evap sensors ). I called Kia and they informed me there was a recall on the Hood WAX ...WOW a recall to prevent rust .. I made an appointment and asked them if they could fix a little surface rust on the rear inside doors where the rivets were . Seeing as I was spending 50 bucks for gas to drive to the dealer , he agreed . So they did the recall , fixed my tiny surface corrosion behind the rear doors,gave me a loner vehicle for the day (ALL UNDER WARRANTY) and sent me off a HAPPY USED first time KIA buyer . This SUV makes you feel like you are driving the best SUV made . Warranty is still good for another year or 60k more miles .. Seeing as the lights are going on a half year trouble free (Changing bulbs) ,the new tires are Firestone LT's (10k and look new yet), we LOVE this car . And remember , Forum writers are usually having problems , The vast majority are Happy with their Sorento's . To get this kind of service from a used Kia , is still mind boggling . We get 22 mpg HWY , and anywhere from 16 to 19 city . I didn't buy a SUV to get the mileage my Saturn gets. Wanna have fun , Test drive a Kia for the heck of it and tell me you don't agree with my opinion . It is an Undercover Lexus at 1/4 of the price . Sorry this post is so long but I've been holding out for a while to make sure my post is accurate .
  • Options
    jimbo1982jimbo1982 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in need of new tires very soon for my 2004 Sorento. Anyone have suggestions on what to get? I live in MI, so will need something that definitely can handle the snowy weather.
  • Options
    taomernitaomerni Member Posts: 18
    jimbo
    I would recommend the Firestone Destination tires that the ford dealor put on our Kia . Like I said the stock tires were shot with 30k miles on it . We now have 10k miles on our Kia and the tires look NEW . We live in Wisconsin so Deep snow is a concern for us to , But the tread type of this SUV tire looks like more than enough for our tough winters here .Plus the raised letters on them look awsome on the vehicle.
  • Options
    I replaced all tires with the same Michiln like the stock ones on EX. They were about 48K miles. I think I could make it to 50K+ miles or before snow arrives. But I had some coupons and we got a tax-fee day here back in August. It was like $500 for four including mounting, balancing, lift-time rotation and flat repair.
  • Options
    isellkiasisellkias Member Posts: 4
    we are actually getting our o7 sorento's in stock as i speak. kia has a staggerd release for all of the 07 vehicles :confuse: (never understood that). right now what we are getting is the 07 rondo and the 07 sorento's and some fully loaded sedona's. we dont have a clue when they get released until we see a truck and they have kia's on them. price wise they are about the same or a little less than the outgoing 06's
  • Options
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Kia Sorento
  • Options
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Talk with Len Hunt - Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Kia Motors of America about "Leapfrogging" in the areas of vehicle innovation. Get exclusive takes from an industry leader about Kia’s quality, safety, product development and globalization in the automotive marketplace.

Live Chat Event

Wed., December 6th - 6-7pm PT, 9-10pm ET
  • Options
    py_py_ Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at picking up an 4x2 06' Sorento LX model from carmax. It only has 7,500 miles on it and they want $14,950 for it. Does that sound about right? I am debating whither or not to get their warranty that comes with it or not ($1,200 extra).

Also, I have never purchased a KIA before. Are they getting more reliable now than what they were in the past? How hard is it to get parts for them? I have only driven Ford so I don't know much about this manufacturer.

I looked at consumer reports and they were not too impressed with the Sorento so that makes me worry as well.

What we were impressed with was the size and the price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the answer to your first question I would need to know what the particular vehicle had as far as options went. I would venture to say that it would be about 2K too much, as it is used and has mileage on it. You can get a NEW 06' for the same price if not several hundred dollars cheaper. Again, that's just and educated guess not knowing options. Also, NO! NO! NO! to the "warranty". As far as getting more reliable, YES! YES! YES! I hope this has been of help in your decision making process. PS A new KIA would have the warranty with it. I believe a used KIA is "AS IS".
  • Options
    Thank you for the response!

I believe it is the basic LX package.
    3.5L w/ automatic
    AM/FM/CD
    Electric doors, locks
    Cruise
    Leather steering wheel (with cruise controls on wheel)
    Leather shifter
    cloth interior
    roof-top luggage rack
    remote keyless entry

The reason i question the warranty is because it is a used car and i believe it is "as is" as you stated. Carmax offers their warranty so i was considering getting it.

I am going to go to a KIA dealership tonight to look for the same model and find out how much they are askign for it.

I absolutly hate dealerships because i cant haggle worth anything that is wy i was trying to go with carmax (they dont haggle from what i understand).

I am a little worried because it looks like someone duck-taped some plastic over the rear passenger window because i see the remains of the tape still on the black trim. That makes me thing either a wreck, or possible break-in. Who knows.
  • Options
    You may want to run a CarFax on it - often a wreck will show up on their reports (but not always). There's a link on the main Edmunds.com page, where you'll also find links to True Market Value.
  • Options
    I thought about CarFax. I always heard it was free but i tried to run it on my current vehicle just to check it out and it asks for a credit card number. Apparently it just shows if it has records on it and you dont know if it is good or bad untill you pay for it. Is that right?
  • Options
    Yep, it costs money for the full report - around $30 iirc. Sometimes the car dealers subscribe and will give you one, so you may want to ask Carmax. I got one on my last car, and I knew the seller pretty well. ;)

Check the numbers over in the Kia Sorento: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.