Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento

Comments

• py_py_ Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the value link! Here is what it says for the one i am looking at:

Trade-In:$17,456
    Private Party:$18,701
    Dealer Retail:$19,822
  • py_py_ Member Posts: 5
    Welp, looks like the one i was looking as was too good to be true. They actually let me take the vehicle to get it check out. Come to find out, it has been wrecked of some sort. They pointed out many things that i never looked for. Stuff that i would not have noticed without knowing what to look for. It seems quite a bit of the driver side of the car was damaged. I guess its a good thing i found out now. I guess the damage was not enough to show up on carfax or they hid it. Who knows.

Thanks all for the help. The things i read here will help me find the right one for me.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    one more consideration about KIA..I have an 03 Sorento fully loaded EX AWD. KIAs are fairly maintenance intensive for scheduled maintenance in order to maintain the warranty..that includes differential and transmission flushes as well as timing belt changes....fluid flushes are generally every 30k and timing belt is 40-60K depending on the year and the model....tune ups on sorento is pricey as well based on access to the plugs.....also the sorento doesnt get the best MPG about 16/20....getting better but not much.....I like ours.....but it can be pricey to maintain if you are looking to keep it for more than 3 years and you drive 15k a year or so.....
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Hi py! There's true. Parts and maintanence are pricey for Sorento. I should say for Hyundai/Kia vehicles since there aren't too many aftermarket parts competitors. Plus due to the engine component layout and design of the Sorento, a simple spark plug and timing belts replacement can be time consuming and experience when compares to Japanese brands. Most dealers want $500 to $600 for timing belts replacement alone plus $400 to $500 for a 60K mile service.

I have tons of warranty repairs on my '03 Sorento EX AWD, original owner with 53K miles now. Beside regular oil change, I spent $600 on Michlin tires at 48K miles, $200 on Kia OEM front brake pads & resufaced front rotors at 46K miles, $100 on Sears Die Hard battery at 52K miles. I am saving money for 60K mile service now.
  • nvestg8rnvestg8r Member Posts: 20
    Your welcome py

The only way carfax picks up info is if insurnace companies get involved. I'm pretty sure about this.

The extended warranty issue is a no brainer because of all the LOOP HOLES in them. This just dosen't apply to cars. It applies to anything that offers an extended warranty. Also, warranties will be bought by another insurer and that changes everything as well. Just say NO!!

And last, more than likely the tape was just to hold on a piece of molding that either came unglued or may have been knocked loose in a collision of some sort. Regardless, your better off buying from the dealership NEW or buying from a reliable source ie. friend or a close relative if possible.

Good luck and remember, do your homework before buying anything and when it comes time to the "haggle" part, there really isn't much to haggle over because you have all of your info. right there with you. Cold hard facts you can't haggle over :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Talk with Ian Beavis – Vice President of Marketing of Kia Motors of America about building the Kia brand in the U.S. Get exclusive takes from an industry leader about Kia's quality, safety, product development and globalization in the automotive marketplace.

Wed., January 17th - 6-7pmPT, 9-10pmET

Here's the link or use the banner floating at the top of the discussions this week.
  • beyond_helpbeyond_help Member Posts: 110
    when i first changed the engine oil in our 05 sorento i used synthetic oil.
    the oil was from verius major mfgs, execpt those from Amisol and and their direct compeditors

since i have to change the oil every 3 months to keep my warrenty in place, it never gets to 3,000 miles

the engine synthetic oil never got too discolored, but it was twice the cost. so i changed back to conventional motor oil

what i have noticed is that conventional gets much more discolored quicker, so understanding the not so great difference between regular and synthetic oils (except Amisol and like types) why does this happen ?

i have noticed this in our chevy/astro also

i can only come up with two reasons

one, the synthetic does less of a job of keeping the engine clean
    (but i don't think so)

two, the conventional oil is breaking down faster and, for the lack of a better term "cooking the oil"

it looks at this time i will be switching back to common synthetics
    (within 4 miles of our house is a "general store/hardware store" that sells Amisol for $6.50 a quart too much for the sorento but i do use it in our emergency standby generator, lawn tractor and snow thrower

what are your thoughts ?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may find Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2 and Synthetic motor oil helpful.

tidester, host
  • kari2kari2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Sorento with 37,600 miles on it and I just got it out of the shop with a $1200cdn invoice. I was told that there's no warning system for the brake pads and that I've worn then down too far and therefore warped the rotors with too much heat. The only noise you get supposedly is when the brake pads are totally gone and all you hear is metal on metal. At the last visit 29,800 miles (4 months ago) my brakes were at 50% front and 70% in the rear. In 8000 miles is it possible to do that much damage to your brakes and rotors???
  • goldsuvgoldsuv Member Posts: 51
    I run synthetic in my Sorento too. The synthetic molecules do not oxidize like conventional oil. This url has a good explanation. http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/syntheticoil/.
    Look at the pictures of the camshaft covers.
  • goldsuvgoldsuv Member Posts: 51
    No. On the US Sorento and I assume Canadian Sorento there is a wear indicator that makes a high pitched noise when the pad is almost worn out. It doesn't do any damage to the rotor.If you keep on driving, it wears the pad down to the rivets, which then scores the rotor and makes a very loud metal scraping noise. My Sorento has 42k miles and the front pads are about 60% worn.
    I replaced the front pads on my '03 Sorento at around 48,000 miles in last June/July with another set of Kia OEM pads. I also re-surfaced the front rotors. They were wrapped and needed to be replaced or cut. I could feel the steering wheel vibration when braking with the wrapped rotors. The whole job was about $200 at a local shop.
  • picard12picard12 Member Posts: 55
    How reliable is the recent Sorento 2006? I am considering buying light SUV. I might get Sorento 2007.

Does sorento have major mechanical problems such as transmission, power steering, engine failure?
    no more than any other..the only thing I would advise is that the regular schedule maintenance is rather intensive as compared to others....the differentials and timing belt....check into that and weigh the difference

the maintenance must be done in order to maintain the 10/100 drive train warranty....03 sorie here with 85K on it and no problems..other that fair wear and tear
  • picard12picard12 Member Posts: 55
    Does the Sorento engine run quietly on hwy & in city streets?

Is interior cabin quiet during cruising?
    mine sounds like a "thrashing machine" 3.5 v6, very noisey on accelleration even light accelleration as reported on some consumers road tests, the most noise of any car i have ever owned

constant ticking at idle and the kia rep would not fix it, called it "normal"

this vwhicle has been nothing but trouble, wish i had purchased a better vehicle, something like a used "Yugo"
    same answer like beyond_help for 3.5L V6 in 2003 to 2006 model years. overall, this is a truck based SUV.
    go test drive one..I have an 03 Ex fully loaded and completely happy with it..and 85K on it....yes its a truck based SUV....but I find it no noiser than a Explorer at full acceleration or cruising speed.....
    it came upon the two year mark for our sorento (a very bumpy road so to speak)

so i drove to the closest Kia dealer, Alexander Kia in Williamsport Pa.
    99.9 miles away, but only 4 traffic lights and 3 stop signs, LOL !

the antifreeze flush and fill was $29.98 labor (1/2 labor $60 hour rate) and $11.76 for antifreeze (the green stuff) plus tax

they also fixed the center dome light problem (diode problem) warrenty

while i was there i also purchased some extra engine oil filters and drain plug gasgets (real Kia ones)

about the drain plug gasgets the "MORONS" at Burlington Kia in N.j. sold me after marked drain plug gasgets that were crap poorly made and kept leaking DON'T ever go there or you will be sorry !!

total time at the Alaxander Kia was 1 hr 10 min and they even wanted to wash my sorento free !

big thumbs up for Alaxander Kia !

the same service in N.J. would have cost an arm and a leg ! and would not have been done properly
  • ViperggVipergg Member Posts: 24
    Yeah upscale which means they take it from being affordable to the point where less people can buy one , that is the current vehicles strongpoint it's ultimate affordability . They should worry more about the longterm quality of the vehicle .
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Power or MPG?

"Well, the answer is with each new generation of engine we produce we increase the horsepower and the fuel economy - you CAN have both. Just look at what we did with the latest 3.8 that we put in the Sedona, Sorento and the Amanti."

Building the Kia Brand in the US
  • 4neicey4neicey Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Sorento which I have had repeated issues with. At 9 mths old, headlights, fog lights, tail lights and interior lights were burning out continuously at different times. It has been to the dealer 9 times in the last 14 mths for light issues. I have had the front rotors replaced 3 times since April 06, back rotors have been "cut" once and now need replaced completely. I also now am losing 40 to 60 miles per tank of gas!!! I also have a few interior lights that the dealer is trying to tell me are not supposed to light up? Is anyone else having these issues?
    our 05 has not been trouble free also, as fas as the light issue it seem to be an issue with some sorentos due to Kia's warrenty policy fixing hard to find problems maybe impossible unless you put fourth alot of effort and even threats to go to the top of Kia USA and follow through

as far as the rotor problem goes alot of vehicles not only kia have them due to trying to keep componets as light as possible

the best way to reduce warping rotors is to properly torque wheel lug nuts to factory spects (spects in your owners manual) and never use an air impact wrench to tighten them (it will distort rotors by over torquing) and avoid agressive braking

the light problem, possible caused by voltage spikes caused by the following, bad battery (even if it checks good), defective moduel that controls the lights (good luck trying to get that replaced under warrenty), and a bad electrical ground. the main one behind the power distrabution box on the left inner fender where it is bolted (mine was bad, poor connection)

good luck you will need it. IMO most Kia dealers are poorly trained and choked by the restrictive Kia warrenty system that causes much greif for the poor customer
  • afrayedknotafrayedknot Member Posts: 4
    Just bought my Sorento and it's everything I've wanted in a vehicle. Now can anyone tell me if they have heard about what I'm experiencing and if it can be corrected. When I need to really get into traffic quickly and I press the gas pedal to floor and it has no pick up like you would expect as a matter of fact it doesn't even burn rubber at all. I can manually shift and same thing happens no push you back in the seat power like you would expect from a 3.5 V-6 196hp engine. I haven't taken it back to dealer yet from fear they will say this is what you get. I plan on driving another 06 to see if the same thing happens then if it doesn't is the lemon law still in effect. Would like all replys so I can get an idea of what my choices might be. Thanks Ya'll
    Richard
  • retired96retired96 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 06 Sorento EX 3 weeks ago and the only problem I have is the altimeter. I live at a elevation of about 1600 feet and as I drive around the altimeter usually will display -200-300 ft. I went to my sons last weekend where the elevation is 40 feet above sea level and the altimeter was reading minus 1300 ft. Does anyone know how to set the altimeter to read the proper altitude.
    its in the owners manual..the reason in the swing is the altmeter records the change from point A to point B... not the actual level...you have to reset it every time if you are going to use it...its a button pushing drill to reset it..I just dont remember the order from memory...as I seldom use the feature.....
  • afrayedknotafrayedknot Member Posts: 4
    I have an 06 Sorento 3.5L V6 that I have just installed an CAI with a K&N filter. It sounds strong when you put your foot into it but actually only increased hp by maybe 5 on low end. Now I also bought a module that plugs into the Iat(intake air temperature sensor) but am unable to locate to install. It's stated to increase 30-40hp along with K&N filter and premium gas, is there anyone that can give me a diagram of where this sensor is? Thanks for your help will let you know if module does what it claims.
    Richard
    your after market CAI is causing the wooshing sound.....I assume you removed the stock airbox (resonnator) when you installed the CAI....that sound is normal.....and your HP gain...if any will be minimal......what did you pay for this "chip/module"....I highly doubt that the module will provide that kind of HP without a ECM retune....and adding premium gas is a waste of $$ IMHO....most power chips run in the 150-200 range or higher......just curious
  • lucientlucient Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone found the solution to the vibration problem that happens at 2500 rpm? My sorento starts to vibrate at 2400 rpm(no matter what the speed) then dissapears at around 3000 rpm. The problem is that I have to drive 75 mph on the highway in order for the vibration to stop. Sound like a balance problem in the drive shaft to me.This has been a common problem over the years for many sorento owners. Some people have mentioned replacing the rear axle bushing to rotating the drive shaft itself but has anyone found the solution?
    what engine do you have ? and is it a 2wd or 4wd ? and if 4wd is it a TOD system or part time ? it makes a difference in diagnoising
    I have the 3.8L V6 4wd TOD. Are you experiencing the same problem?
  • taomernitaomerni Member Posts: 18
    I have an 03 that has had the vibration at 70 mph . 68 was good and over 72 , but at 70 it vibrated on a trip this summer . I do not know if it still does it, as we don't hit the highway to often with our Sorento . At 55 we get 22 mpg ... at 70 we get like 18 .
    i have a 3.5 part time 4wd with no vibration, but with a very strange erratic knocking noise in the right ft area at appx 2000 to 2500 rpm, the dealer doesn't hear it. it veries in loudness also
    Mine is very smooth until I hit that 2500 rpm mark. Then the vibration can really be felt through the foot pedal and stearing wheel. It feels normal again once the rpm go past 3000 or the next gear kicks in. This vibration can be felt in each gear even at slow speeds. On the highway, once my speed is over 75, its very smooth with absolutely no vibration. The service manager thought the vibration was caused by part of the exhaust being rusted through. He even replaced most of it under warranty but it made no difference in the end. I'm going in to see a kia tech. on wednesday. Hope he can help.
  • cheapengineercheapengineer Member Posts: 36
    I do not see any recent posts for prices on the 2007 Sorento. I'm considering for a 2007 4x4 EX with the luxury package. MSRP including destination looks like $29,865.

There is a $2000 rebate good thru the end of April and a $1000 competitor discount good thru 4/2 although I don't know if this will be extended.

I like to get one for $25k using the $3k rebate/discount. is this realistic? Somebody give me some recent numbers please.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I do not see any recent posts for prices on the 2007 Sorento.

That's kind of surprising. I dropped a pebble in the pond to see if anything happens. Sometimes people are reluctant to post a message if a topic has been quiet for a while.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nvestg8rnvestg8r Member Posts: 20
    Your NOT cheap your FRUGAL:).... In answer to your question, I haven't heard anything myself to date. So, as a rule of thumb, take whatever the rebates are, marketing monies, etc. and subtract from the invoice $$$ and you have your price you should be paying. I don't think the new 07's are selling any better or worse than previous years due to a few problems of previous years Sorentos. ie flywheels flying ( breaking bolts), electrical problems to name some more prominent issues they have had in the past up to 05' that I know of through posts on this website and others. I hope this will help....good luck :)
    my local kia dealer that does all my services on my 03 sorie...only has 3- 07 on the lot 2- LX and 1-EX The EX he shows as 28.4 invoice and MSRP of $30 ...and he has not moved one of them for over three months now...........dont think they are selling well with the gas mileage they get to be honest...
  • solbitemesolbiteme Member Posts: 1
    Yes I had the same thing happen to me but I just have not sent it in just thought it was a koren thing
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Could someone in this forum help me to obtain a Kia Mohave brochure or a PDF file in Korean language? I understand that the Mohave/Borrego will be sold in Korea from January 2008 and I assume that such a brochure or PDF file will be readily available to Korean customers. Help highly appreciated.
  • knukknuk Member Posts: 1
    Hi - looking for some direction on tightening the 3 drive belts on an '03 Sorento. I can only find tensioners on 2 of the belts. The belt at the lower part of the engine does not seem to be adjustable - am I blind?
    Don't know about that but do NOT overtighten them ,,,,,Unless you want to buy a new enginge because the crankshaft bolt broke ... Plain and simple..Only tighten then till they don't squeal
    I am a happy owner of a 2003 Kia Sorento... Ive been to Napa a whole lot less than with my previous vehicles ,,, But I was worried about the crankshaft bolt ..Fixed :) then I did unplug the plenum wire as I don't want to be sucking these into the manifold ..So I'm ok with that ,,But this bottle design , They should so a recall as the end result is overheating your engine , I have the OLD style and it isn't leaking yet, but from what I've read , Its happened to more than one .. So Why don't they offer a recall .. offer previous owners a new bottle to install themselves ,Or pay like 50 bucks to have the dealership change it out ..They seem to becoming pretty popular in America since we took a chance and bought ours 2 years ago , and they would make a lot of previous owners like us who took a chance buying a Kia a lot happier .. I will buy a new bottle the second I see a coolant leak , knowing this is a big issue , but it shouldn't have to be ... 100 dollars a bottle to replace verses 5 grand to replace a motor ,,Kia should be happy to offer this kind of thing
  • badboy99mdbadboy99md Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone. I bought a 2007 Kia Sorento at the end of September 2007. Since the day that I picked it up the radio has driven me NUTS. The volume goes up and down all by itself constantly. Does anyone else have this problem? I have driven another 2007 & 1 2008 Sorento and noticed the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they had it for a week. They worked with "Kia Corp" on it and still to this day have no idea or fix for it.

Was just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
  • himi1himi1 Member Posts: 25
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    this new Mohave looks beautiful. Not to confuse it with the pickup they made a concept of a few years ago named Mojave. This new largre SUV will compete with any of them out there. Looks great!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• zcatmousezcatmouse Member Posts: 2
    Hi; I also just bought a 2007LX Sorento a few weeks ago. And I also have been going nuts with the radio,the volume changes, up and down, down and up. I have called the dealer and they don't know what it is, but they are going to look into it and get back with me. Did you get any where yet. Please respond. Papa Bear1
  • badboy99mdbadboy99md Member Posts: 3
    Still no where.. but working on it. Sent you a friends request with email so we can talk abou this.
  • springs04springs04 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i bought my kia 4 months ago.. it now has 6000 miles on it. since the day we drove it off the lot it makes this horrible grinding sound when we take left turns over a bump. also there is a clicking in the rear end i think it the drive train..The passenger air bad light wont go off when someone sits in the passenger seat.. Has anyone else had problems with these things??
  • zcatmousezcatmouse Member Posts: 2
    Hi again; Thanks for the reply, I'm new at this and not the best on computers,and I'm sorry to say not the best at spelling.Its been awhile,my wife is ready to shoot me,I keep yelling in the other room,is sorry with 1 or 2 r's and how do you spell this and that, she says thats sad! but I just don't do a lot of writing.I guess when I think about it, I am sad. But anyway, I called the dealer today and told them,if they can not tell me anything by next week,I'm going to give them all {F's} on there report card. Or they are going to replace the radio and or amp. what ever it takes.Or I go above them, and they don't really want that.It seems like they want to work with me,{It SEEMS}.So we will have to see. And I'm not sure,or don't know where to look for a friends request for e-mail,and I don't no the rules about using names.My wife has a few she calls me,but they are not very nice.So I will just go by Zcat for now.And let me end by saying,this is got to be the longest I have ever wrote anything,I could never be a writer,For one reason,my wife told me I better get a dictionary.Two,is I would die of old age or the stress would kill me first.I think I already have writers block.{Thanks ZCAt OUT,have a nice day.