Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Check out Staten Island Kia, ask for Mark Jerrick over there. Tell him you are from edmunds and he will definitely take good care of you. Worst case they can always order you the color/config you want. That is what I had to do in '00 when I bought my 2000 Trooper.

-mike
  • carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    Check out December issues of Road and Track, page 44, and especially December issue of Car and Driver, pages 114-117!!!
    Was I allowed to post that in 703???
    :-)
    ...just giving you a hard time...
  • hecnyhecny Member Posts: 29
    Big elm, Paisan, thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how the search goes.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Next time put the link with it!

oh wait, that's like a "real" magazine, isn't it? People still read those huh?

Steve, Host
    that we have such a good time! Sorry again for all the inconveniences caused earlier today!
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    Those articles if they are about the Sorento in Car and Driver and Road and Track are not up on line yet.

As I mentioned in a earlier post my delaer was trying to get a Ivy Green EX but could only find a EX with Luxury in upper state Mass which my wife didn't mind, but that dealer had installed a DVD player in the vehicle and was asking 2300 more for it. Even my dealer said outragous. But good news, my dealer was allocated 5 Sorentos for his next shipment each in a different color and 2 are LX and 3 are EX and he was able to get a Ivy Green EX w/ABS for my wife. Now we just have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to get to NJ then trucked to CT. My dea;er has 2 in his lot from the original 4 and 2 other dealers have none but a fourth dealer in the state has about 10 and his ADM is $1800 to $2400 over the MSRP. Supposedly this was his alloction till mid Jan 2003 and he was not getting any till then.
    I went up to that CA web site (post #700) and those prices are marked up 5to 7 thousand. I'll stick to my CT dealer who isn't trying to rape me yet.
    Also checked on the limited slip diferrential which comes standard in the 4x4 models but funny thing at the dealer is a LX model, no 4x4 and no limited slip, but the EX model with no 4x4 have a knob where the 4x4 knob is and it states 2WD and Snow the salesman thought that you could lock up up the rear differential for snowy conditions. Again he thought thats what it was for. The vehicle is so new and far in between in Ct that these sales guys don't know to much about them. You think Kia would have a briefing tape for them to review.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    A repeat of an earlier question.

What brand and model (Dana35, Dana44, ...) of rear end does the Sorento have? What kind of LSD?

Thanks.
    My bet is they are corporate or modified Danas. What's in a name? The 92-99 Monteros have a corporate Mitsu rear end but it's equal to about a Dana 60 in terms of strength and size.

As for the LSD it's probably a traditional clutch style one.

-mike
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    Just ask J Lo. To make this post on topic, I predict she is going to be in the next Sorento commercial!
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    What about 4-Lo?

Does she have a Dana rear end? Probably "Corporate"!
    OK, here we go... the puzzle is taking shape. I posted before the "developments for the new Sportage", if you remember. Just to refresh the memory:
    a) an Elantra/Spectra-based multiple wheel drive tall wagon against Vibe, Matrix, RAV4, CRV
    b) the shortened Sorento with "my created name" of "Sorento Sport".
    Again, I stil believe we will get both!
    Well, Hyundai will show their version of the AWD-Elantra-wagon next year at New York, and it should be available as an 2004-model later in 2003. Name is not yet determined, and it will not be the LaVita/Matrix thingy.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Good work! Now find out if the new Sportage SUV being developed that has the shortened Sorento frame will be offered with manual transmission, K? Coolio!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I just looked at this Kia Sorento at the Boston Auto Show. I saw this beige Sorento as soon as I walked inside. My wife thought it was a Lexus RX300. It was hard to tell because it parked behind a reception desk and few trees. Anyway, it is much bigger than I expected. It is bigger than Lexus RX300 and pretty much the size of MB M-Class. The back seat fits three adult with no problem. An easy step-in access for rear passenger. It would be nice to have the running boards. It is not bad for this fully loaded Sorento EX 4x4 with luxury package (an $1800 extra). The total cost is $26K (with dest. charge). Hope it will be some discounts or offers later on.
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Hey... did you get a chance to find that info for me (Sorento issue)?
    I forgot all about it.

-mike
    to your buddy about the pricing, offers, or lease programs (if any) ;-)
    Just looked at the Kia site for global at http://global.co.kr/ It looks like Kia is not a small automobile marker. They launch this Sorento worldwide. By the way, the Korean version (properly the Limited Edition) has wiper deicer, headlamp washers, side fender markers, sunroof with pitch protection (Lexus has this for windows too) and under seat tray.
  • stockeystockey Member Posts: 40
    And the Winners Are . . .

Under $25,000 Kia Sorento
    $25,001 - $35,000 Toyota 4Runner
    $35,001 - $45,000 Volvo XC90
    More than $45,000 Land Rover Range Rover
    Best Value Kia Sorento

Overall Winner Volvo XC90
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    They, Kia and Hyundia sell their cars world wide as well as Hyundia being in the computer and shipping bussiness. The Kia Sorento has been on the market for about a year now I Asia and England and as well as the items mentioned in post #720 the Kia in Korea has a third row of seats. In England the Sorento is a big seller as well but they also get a turbo diesel engine. I am sure in time these items will make it over to here but for now I am happy at what they are offering. at first there was very little written about the Sorento but yesterday I found a few aricles and many writers are taking notice to the new kid on the SUv block. and I noticed that Edmonds has got the price comparison up. But as I mentioned the dealers in our area arenot discounting but sevral al marking the price up alot with their ADM's.
    The information that I got is England is just about to launch the Sorento. And this is a new product from Kia. Most of the country didn't even have this yet except Korean and US. Just found these info from http://global.kia.co.kr/ and the worldwide links from its site. It is true the Sorento has a diesel in Korean but I doubt there is one with 3rd row seats. They have the optional running boards but not for US. Other than that, everything is the same. BTW, are they also have the left-hand drive in Korea?
    When I began to look for the Kia Sorento, people said to me like "You are buying a Kia?" and feel like Kia makes the worst car in the world. And if there is any problems (big or small) on the car, they gonna laugh at you and say "See. I told you not to buy a Kia.". Is it because Hyundai is the Kia's parent company? And Hyundai made bad cars before. I mean, Kia came to US in 1994 with the Sephia. Before that, they built Festive for Ford in between 1988 to 1992. It is not a great car but it is not that bad. Is this the most people attitude toward Kia?
    That's what people say until they test drive a KIA,especialy a SEDONA or a SORENTO,they are totaly blown away.
  • saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
    Don't worry about what people say. Remember americans used to say the same things about the japanese cars when they first started coming in. It took the japanese quite sometime before they were taken seriously by the american consumer.
    fell in love with the Sorento all over again. It so happens that the dealer I went to is also a KIA & Subaru dealer... Well since Subaru is out because of personal reasons (not because it's bad, I own one), the Outlander was a choice, until I test drove it... the Outlander can be more of a competitive vehicle to the Forester because of it's dimensions and capability. It's not really a truck/SUV, but here we go...

Outlander's engine is noisy, but why would that surprise anyone? It has a 140HP/157TQ that's why. And though the TQ helps it's faintly strength in performance, the engine is already begging for you to lift your foot off the gas pedal. Surprisingly, it even hit 6k RPM both times before changing from 1st to 2nd then to 3rd (AT trans.) on leveled pavement. Normally other vehicles don't hit redline unless it's up on a hill and you have the pedal to the floor.
    For those who are not performance intrigued, it is suitable for you. And most likely my wife wouldn't mind it because she doesn't care for HP, but I do and you never know when you may need it, even if she's driving. The shift-tronic is smooth when changing gears though. Inside, the XLS is the most decent, plastic but with 'some' class. It is very roomy in comparison to others in it's class. Now remember, I'm 6'5" and the rear seats were impressive. In addition, the back seats recline for better comfort and long rides.

But after I drove it, the salesperson suggested to park it side by side to their Sorento on the lot. Well, needless to say, it brought me back. Sorento reminded me of what I seemed to have forgotten or overlooked. The fit and finish is no contest. Once I sat in the Sorento, my butt was smiling all over again. Sorento you brought me back home...

Need your help guys, this dealer is offering the Sorento at $500 over invoice. Yep, you read it right... Now out of curiosity, I have some figures and hopefully you can help me out...

Lease:
    12k a year, 48 months w/$3000 down:
    $428 month

Finance:
    $3000 down, 5 yrs at 6.9%:
    $461 month

Does this sound right or am I missing something here?
    If it sounds right, I'm still gonna try and wait for some offer from KIA.

Well, enough running the mouth... Thanks. ;-)
    Are you looking to get the EX or LX model? 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? ABS? Rear spoiler? Luxury package?

If you have excellent credit, you should be able to do better than 6.9%. Tell the dealer, peoplesoft on line approved you for 4.75 and see if they will match it?

Why lease a vehicle for 4 years and walk away with nothing at the end?? You would be better off with just purchasing the vehicle and pay it off in 5 years or sooner by paying extra dollars each month.
    lok888, hciaffa, etc., a very warm welcome to the site and thanks for your postings! In a long cold winter night, you might find the time to read all of our 700plus postings here, and a lot of your questions/remarks etc. will be answered! If you want to read more, look in the archived discussions for the "Kia BL", which was the concept of the Sorento.
    I do not want to repeat all of my postings but the UK-Sorento will be sold end of this month. Continental Europe has the Sorento already (some countries since July 02), it's a big hit, and the initial deliveries were the Common Rail Diesels, manual transmissions. We (Northamerica) will not get the Diesels. Yes, the Sorento has a 3rd row mini-seat in Korea for insurance/tax purposes. We will not see it here, neither in Europe. Especially in Korea they have other goodies (nav-system, voiceconnect for cellphone, tooo much to list here), and Europe has the headlight washer/wiper system as well - which we will not get... (yet?!)
    Keep on rolling, my friends!
    I do have good credit which was why the dealer said that the lowest they do is 6.9% which I found vague....

I'm sure that leasing such a vehicle for 4 yrs. is a waste of money, especially for just 12k miles a yr. and not calling it mine. I'm hoping for a offer from KIA but may just go with the flow by Dec. *shrug* We'll see...

I guess when Dec. comes, I'll be pulling out all my ammo ;-)
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    get the resids and mf from your dealer for the lease and also ask carman who hangs out on the finance and warranty board in the lease questions forum he could see if the dealer is being legit. also apply at peoplefirst.com for a loan they wil go as low as 5.75 I think for 60 months. You have to realize a lot of kia dealerships have only dealt with problem credit people because their cars are very cheap but now they have a different class of buyers coming in but many are too dumb to adapt.
    Thanks for the info... ;-)
    Clpurnell is correct. If you have good credit, in the Platinum range, peoplefirst is offering 5.75% for a 60 month term. This is better than a lot of dealerships. I will be visiting Mark Jerrick from Staten Island Kia later today. I Spoke with him briefly this week, sounds like a stand up guy. He said he can get the Silver EX 4X4 for me in 2-3 weeks. BigElm, are you looking at the EX 4X4? If so, what color.
  • sedanman2sedanman2 Member Posts: 26
    hello, noticed you mentioned staten island kia. well in 2001 i ordered an optima from them and was told 2-3 weeks, 3 MONTHS later i had my optima. so good luck!
    hency:
    I'm looking into the EX without the leather and Ruby Red with Grey interior.

clpurnell:
    Got help from the lease forum. Briefly... don't lease the KIA!
    I ordered the EX 4X4 from Staten Island Kia today. I got the Diamond Silver. I will arrive in two to three weeks.
    What's the deal you got, if you don't mind me asking....
    It looks like dealer is not being honest with you about the apr. Peoplefirst.com is advertising 4.99% for 60 mos with direct payment option.

It looks like you and i are in a same situation. I want to buy sorento now but not willing to pay msrp for it waiting till dec or maybe longer.

Check this out. I went to another kia dealer today and they had a $1,999 dealer prep fee and $499 for customer service something. The dealer prep fee is no typo. I asked the salesperson what those extra charges were and he says and I quote "I don't know how that got on there. I don't know who put that extra charges on there. I remove those extra charges when I make a deal for my customer" unquote. I almost busted out laughing *L* If this dealer wants to sell it for msrp, why don't they just come out and say it
    It was 6 hundred under list. Other dealers were only going 3 to 4 hundred under. I figure this is the best I can probally do at this point without dragging it out longer, or delaying it all together until next year. I feel satisfied considering all the other stories I've heard and read about dealers wanting way over list, or minimum list. I had done quite a bit of research, and knew that I wanted the vehicle, and had a goal of how much I was willing to pay at this point. Those of us that shop for the Sorento a year from now should be able to do better. I also got approved by Peoplefirst yesterday for 4.99% up to 24K.If the dealer dosen't do better, or at least match it, I will go with them.

Sedanman2, I saw your posting, thanks for the heads up. Another dealer told me that they could get it in 60-90 days. I told the dealer that I am working with now that if I didn't have the truck in a month, I was going to go with the other dealer. They promise that they will do there best, and if they can't deliver in a reasonable amount of time, have no problem with refunding my deposit . You can bet I will stay on top of them.
  • bubblegirlbubblegirl Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone here that has purchased the new Sorento belong to Costco and if so have they contacted the Costco Auto program? What kind of deals are they offering? I know when I was looking at a Dodge a few years ago they were doing $200 over invoice. I really like the look of this vehicle, but it sounds like I may need to hold out to get the best price.
  • sedanman2sedanman2 Member Posts: 26
    glad i can help dude.have you checked loman ford kia in woodbridge? they are a large dealer and might have a few. also pinebelt might have some. i would call the nj dealers to see what they have,phone numbers from kia.com, also if you should be lucky to find what u want you get it that day , and drive it home, cant do that in ny, well keep me posted, the sorento is excellent- i would lose a small fortune if i traded in my optima at this time!! good luck
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    I just compared the 2002 CRV to the new Sorento and the CRV has more cargo and luggage capacity then the Kia Sorento.

Cargo/Luggage capacity (cubic feet)

CRV: 72 / 33.5
    Kia: 66 / 31.4
    But the Sorento beats the CRV in

Front head room 42.6 to 41.3

and

Front shoulder room 58.9 to 56.9

It depends if you need more room for Cargo/luggage, or want more people comfort.
    hecny,

It appears the Sorento is wider and will give you an inch or two more room for seating. I am still amazed that the CRV has 6 cubic feet more space, that is fairly significant. BTW I am not saying that bigger is better, I am just surprised. Why is the Sorento considered a mid size SUV and the CRV is considered a mini?
    I agree, six cubic feet seems like a lot. I don't know why they put it in a midsize class with the likes of the Chevy TrailBlazer. I consider it a tweener. Bigger than say a RAV4, but not the TBlazer.
  • jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    Perhaps the nearly 1000 pounds in additional weight, the longer wheel base, and wider cabin, has something to do with the Sorento being cosidered a midsize SUV.
    The engine to,the sorento as a big engine compare to the minis.
    stockney,

The Escape is a mini and it puts out more HP then the Sorento.
    The segmentation is based on the total interior volume in cubic feet, "passenger plus cargo area". Therefore, you will find those "little" questionable groupings...
  • jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    Weighs about 800 lbs less than the Sorento and the little 3.0L engine produces less torque at a higher rpm.