Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo V50

13»

Comments

• Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Sometime in late July or August.
  • Options
    murphy4murphy4 Member Posts: 92
    We have just had a nightmare experience with a Ford Freestyle and are going to dump it some where quickly.

We have 2 kids and are think we are going with a Volvo. Is the v50 a possibility or is it a little tight. We like the look, the potent turbo motor and of course the Volvo safety.

Any thoughts out there?
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Just curious about your "nightmare experience" with your Freestyle. We've had ours for over a year and have over 30K miles and zero problems.
  • Options
    murphy4murphy4 Member Posts: 92
    Ours has been out of service at the dealer 31 days in the last 2 months. The last stay has been since June 1st. The CVT transmission failed and they have not been able to get parts to repair it. One part took 3 weeks to get and the other two have been order three times because they have been shipped damaged. Now they are trying to get authorization from Ford for an all new transmission. As of today (06/24) we have no idea when we are going to get our car back. We bought the car Feb 05 and it only has 11500 miles on it. It has been very disappointing.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    With your experience, I can see why you'd stay away from another Freestyle, even though there are lemons in all makes/models.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your Freestyle experience.
    You will be better off w/ the V70 than the V50. Especially w/ 2 kids.
    V50 is a fine car and fun to drive, but it can be a little tight for family duty.
  • Options
    bollweevilsbollweevils Member Posts: 2
    That's the question. New or used? It seems like the used can be a good deal for a car with low miles, of course the question is why are they already on the market?
    Here's a wrinkle for my particular position. My wife and I are moving to Starkville, Mississippi, where the nearest Volvo dealer is 2 hrs or more. If we get a used one and can find some mechanic who works on Volvos that might make the used a bit more attractive, right? Currently we live in a town in Indiana where there's only one mechanic who will service our Toyota Camry, so I don't want to rely on the authorized Volvo mechanics for every little thing when we get to Miss. Thoughts?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    well, as far as "why they are on the market," its usually nothing to worry about. It certainly has nothing to do with this particular car because EVERY car made has low-mile slightly used ones on the market. Happens all the time. Reasons can vary greatly. Maybe it was repo'd. Maybe the owner decided it didn't fit their needs. Maybe they couldn't live with their color choice. Buyers are a picky and complex bunch.

Yes, if you can find a good indy mechanic who specializes in Volvos, then I would use them for any non-warranty work ... even if I bought a new one.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    zekariczekaric Member Posts: 1
    ...the question is why are they already on the market?

A lot of those low mileage vehicles were lease returns. Owners leasing newer models instead of the same vehicle or whatever their reasoning is. Or at least that is my perception with certain vehicles.
  • Options
    saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Hello all,

Local dealer has a 2006 V50 T5 six-speed wagon with no other options but silver metallic paint. Just over the phone, they offered the car to me at $27,130...claiming that there is currently a $2000 incentive available right now. Seeing that this is a base-no-frills car, what kind of prices can i expect? I know the shoppers in S40 boards are getting up to $6000 off MSRP! Can same discount be expected on wagons as well?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    It seems like an attractive vehicle and one of the few smaller cars with AWD.

But both JDPOWER and Consumers Union give it bad marks wrt reliability. I'm especially concerned about the electrics.

How are you V50 owners fareing? Is this car likely to be better or worse than an Audi A3 wrt reliability?
  • Options
    The V50 has been a good car,however it is sold in VERY limited numbers so for the purposes of surveying the vehicle you have a limited number of respondents.
  • Options
    frank_cfrank_c Member Posts: 19
    All,

I have an offer for a 2007 V50 T5 with the premium package and metallic paint OTD for $ 29,762 (before TTL of course). This seems a pretty decent offer for Northern California which tends to be more expensive than other regions.

We may look into financing a small amount if the rate is not too bad and we can take another $ 500-ish off the price (current Volvo finance support to dealer is $ 500).

We'll purchase by the end of week.

Any comments?

Thanks,
    Frank
  • Options
    As you noted, your price is not OTD(Out the Door).
    OTD prices include all taxes and fees.

Otherwise, it is a very good price.

VFNA's rates aren't competitive. That $500 finance incentive will cost you. Your dealer can send you to a bank at a better rate than VFNA can give.
  • Options
    vp63vp63 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at an '07 V50 T5 AWD with auto, premium pack, climate and metalic, MSRP 35680, sale price $32800 + tax, title and tags (mid atlantic region). This price is taking advantage of the 0% financing deal at present (so no $1500 rebate).

Sound fair?

Advice appreciated.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We have a brand new group on our hands with the rollout of the Volvo V50 Group.

I've pulled some posts out of this general discussion to "seed" some of the newly created discussions that deal with different aspects of V50 ownership.

Among the discussions you'll find:

New Volvo V50 Owners - Give Us Your Report!
    Volvo V50 Test Drive: What Did You Think?
    Volvo V50 Owners: Photos of My Wagon!
    Volvo V50 Safety & Crash Test Results
    Volvo V50 Engine Questions
    Volvo V50 Audio & Entertainment Questions
    Volvo V50 Electrical/Lighting Issues
    Volvo V50 Interior & Passenger Comfort Concerns
    Volvo V50 Accessories & Modifications
    Volvo V50 Brake Problems

When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list on the main Volvo V50 Group page for the appropriate discussion. If you have a comment or question for which there doesn't appear to be a discussion that covers it, please feel free to start up a new discussion!

That's for helping to make this group a great source of info on the V50!
  • Options
    haloclinehalocline Member Posts: 20
    The current car was introduced in 2005. Does anyone know if/when there will be a mid-cycle refresh?

IIRC most manufacturers make some changes about every 3 years. Looks like the XC70 is getting one for 2008.
  • Options
    Volvo is not like most manufacturers. They seem to keep their designs a LOOONNNGG time. Just look at the S60. It hasn't had any major changes since it came out in '01. I believe it is the same for the V70, so that '08 update is on a 7-year-old design. Then again, the old S40 didn't last very long (i believe 4 years). And the S80 fell somewhere in between (I think maybe 5 years?). Even the S70, which lasted for 3 years, was just a refresh of the 850 anyway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    The 08 cars will have different headlights, taillights, bumpers.
    Maybe a slight hp boost for the T5.
  • Options
    timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
  • Options
    volvobuffvolvobuff Member Posts: 35
    Volvo's international website has extensive information on the 2008 V50:

http://www.volvocars.com/All-Cars/Volvo-V50/

The cosmetic changes are admittedly minor. A number of new exterior colors will be available, although not all will probably be offered for US market cars. Interior trim options: the plastic "wood effect" trim which was standard on the base 2.4i has been discontinued, the brushed aluminum trim remains, and new trim options in bauxite (dark gray metallic), virtual (i.e. off) white, and Nordic light oak (steamed and bent plywood) will be available. Again it remains to be seen how many of these will be available for US cars.

A total of ten engines will be offered internationally, although I suspect that US cars will have only the current two choices.

Much more interesting are some of the new equipment options. The ones that immediately caught my eye were:

1. active Bi-Xenon headlights as an alternative to the previous static Bi-Xenon headlights.

2. power retractable outside mirrors.

3. Blind Spot Information System such as recently introduced on the new S80.

4. An integrated GSM cellphone solution for the European market that operates from the steering wheel and central control panel. Unfortunately, this will not be offered for US market cars, which will have to live with the current add-on Motorola IHF1000-based system.

5. A variant of the super-premium Dynaudio system as currently available in the C70 will be offered as an alternative to the two previous Premium and High Premium systems.
  • Options
    schnyderschnyder Member Posts: 2
    On a 2007 V50, the owners manual says "a long press on the unlock button will open the side windows".
    Which is just like on my BMW, EXCEPT it does not work on the V50.
    Is that a programing thing or what ?

Thank you for any advise.

2007 V50 T5
  • Options
    volvobuffvolvobuff Member Posts: 35
    It works as advertised on my 2007 V50 T5. You might want to press the unlock button once briefly, to unlock the doors, and then a second much longer time to open the windows. There is a bit of a delay before the windows open, but it does work. My only regret is that it doesn't open the moonroof as well, which would cool off the car a lot faster in this sweltering summer weather.
  • Options
    The car has to be programmed to do that.
  • Options
    The US cars will retain the 2 engines that have been available.
    The T5 gets a hp boost to 227.
    The "plywood" and aluminum are the 3 interior options w/ the Select and Premium pkgs.
    Base cars get the grey plastic.
  • Options
    schnyderschnyder Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I will try it again...
    And I agree, the sunroof should open also.
  • Options
    herbageherbage Member Posts: 2
    How does one program this to work? I can't get it to work either.
  • Options
    It needs to be programmmed by the dealer.
  • Options
    And I agree, the sunroof should open also.

It doesn't work the sunroof.
  • Options
    herbageherbage Member Posts: 2
    Awesome, I will call them today. In Florida, this is a very useful feature. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    gosoxv50gosoxv50 Member Posts: 1
    :) I never knew of this site until today. I know its been a few years since your post, but I thought it was neat to find someone else who got the T5 AWD, with 6 speed manual & leather. That's my car too ! . This was my first Volvo purchase, really enjoying the car. Am interested to know how you like the car. Just had my 30K service.
  • Options
    john1234john1234 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Ladies/Gents....
    I'm reasearching the above vehicle.
    My wife likes the Nissan Murano Se, I like the volvo V50 2005.
    We are comparing the 2 for both known/common problems and regular maintenance costs. We are located in Canada.
    We are both not the self fixing type when it comes to vehicles. At the same time we don't want to get into a vehicle with huge maintenance/repair costs.
    A few mechanic friends have seen a few Murano's in their shop after 100,000km for tranny trouble CVT.
    I was told that the Volvo, was a pretty solid vehicle and if cared for can last a long time.
    We don't want to get into a situation where we are paying $1000.00 everytime we open the hood.
    I was told by the Volvo sales rep that its around $60 for an oil change(synthetic) and needs to be changed every 12000km.
    She wasn't able to tell me if this vehicle had Xenon Headlights and or what the costs would be to change somewhat simple things like headlight bulbs etc.
    Can anyone care to comment on the costs of regular maintenance to expect on the V50 2005, and also the costs of such things as headlights/rear lights etc?
    Thanks greatly
  • Options
    rainyday1rainyday1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am thinking of buying a V50 2.4i through the Overseas Delivery Program. They have come out with the 2011 pricing, but V50 is only offered as a turbo. What are the drawbacks of turbo versus conventional engine? I am worried about reliability of Volvo and the cost of repairs. any advice?
  • Options
    chris_norcalchris_norcal Member Posts: 5
    Too bad Volvo no longer offers awd turbo manual V50! I'd like one in a "fast" diesel.
  • Options
    brwndoggybrwndoggy Member Posts: 41
    I've been searching on Autotrader and sites throughout Texas to find a 2011 or 2010 and have only found one new one so far making me think this car is not in production yet or has been canceled. Will be calling volvo tomorrow to see what's up.

Anyone out there know anything about production availability?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes, they built 2011s. I don't know how many, but they now ceased per a dealer's post on swedespeed.

This discussion has been closed.