Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V50

revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
edited September 2014 in Volvo
Here is the new place to discuss the Volvo V50. To start, here's some news quoted directly from Edmunds Future Cars section:

Volvo has BMW and Audi in its sights with their upcoming V50 wagon, a replacement for the current V40. Engine choices will consist of either a 170-horsepower normally aspirated five-cylinder, or a 200 hp turbocharged version of the same engine.

image What do you think?

Revka
Host
Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

Comments

• vonn1vonn1 Member Posts: 26
    Looks like a baby V70. I own a V70 so I am not saying I dislike the look of it, but Volvo could have been a little more original with the design. Perhaps they are following Audi in the "every car needs to look the same" realm. It will be interesting to see how this car stacks up to the A4 and 3 series estates. Knowing the acclaim of these cars, let's hope Volvo came loaded for bear.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I hope this V50 isn't based on a Ford platform.
  • bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    I think it definitely has alot of potential but I wouldn't buy one unless I can get it with a manual gearbox. : )
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    I've just linked some new tools and resources into the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. Keep your eyes open for other features, articles, and discussions to be added to that area. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • art_nyart_ny Member Posts: 1
    Called Volvo America and customer service said that the V50 is years away. Not in the 2003 lineup. Anybody else hear any different?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    That car will not be available until the 2004.
    The current V40 will be built for the 2003 model year. The first examples are already at the dealers now.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    From Edmunds' Future Vehicles Section: 2004 Volvo V50 Luxury Wagon. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • aldehydealdehyde Member Posts: 26
    From all indications the V50 (and XC50 AWD body-cladded version) will be based on the same platform as the next Ford Focus and Mazda3 (formerly Protege), and so won't appear 'till about the same time those models are available... coming to the party so late it will have to offer some sort of added value, maybe the XC90's roll-sensing system, but expect that to drive the price out of the reach of the masses. Too bad these models aren't available now... guess I'll have to "settle" for a Subaru :)
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Thanks for the advice, libertycat, but the V70 is just an enormous car, I'd like a short wheelbase, nimble wagon, easy to park... a Mazda Protege5 with a lot more torque or a Lexus IS300 with a lot nicer interior and a lot higher suspension (not for offroading, for jumping curbs and medians) and a lot lower price. All wheel drive (Haldex or otherwise) would be a plus...
    It has all the features you want and there are some good deals out there.
    ALDEHYDE
  • stdpudelstdpudel Member Posts: 3
    The V40 is not ugly to me, but I need to put adults in the back seat and dogs and stuff in the way-back. The V40 has an excellent automatic transmission (courtesy of Mitsubishi, I think) which I am hoping is not an evolutionary dead end. Is an AWD, roomy V40 that's still nimble and zippy too much to ask?
    Tranny is the Aisin-Warner that Volvo developed for their other models.
    Only Mitsu part is the turbocharger unit.

As for a roomy zippy AWD, Volvo already has the XC70.
    The V40 isn't too ugly for me either, volvomax, but it isn't terribly well regarded and it is definitely very costly for what it offers and what it competes with (Jetta wagon, Focus wagon, the Subarus and even the A4 Avant). IIRC, it is based on the Mitsubishi Carisma platform and Dutch-built, not Swedish. I'd still be considering it but I'd rather see what its rumored replacement, the V50 is all about. Maybe it will be indistinguishable from the Mazda3 and '04 Focus anyways?

Libertycat, thanks for the Mercedes wagon suggestion, if I decide to go used I'll look at it closely... I understand DaimlerChrysler will be bringing diesel wagons here in about the same timeframe as the V50, which is also intriguing...
    Not based om Carisma!
    Yes its built at the Nedcar plant in Holland,most Volvos are assembled outside Sweden.
    V59 will be built at Ghent in Belgium alongside the S60.
    The V40 chassis is most closely related to the S/V 70 chassis.
    As for cost vs competitors,with the current incentives its quite a deal compared to the others.
    You get a better warranty,and more safety features. plus the new 170hp engine gives it extra zip.
    Thanks for the info, Volvomax! Are you a Volvo employee, out of curiosity? I see that the V50 and S40 have appeared on the Future Cars section on Edmunds finally... perhaps they will appear this summer after all? Swedespeed.com and volvospy.com haven't had any new news in about a year...
    Won't be for sale until Jan or Feb 2004.
    Won't be unveiled till Nov 2003.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    the S40 replacement is due by EOM...and the V50 is coming at model year end. (Figure October?)

I am hoping I can fix my credit before October and snatch a V40 at the nice incentive prices they are offering. At $25+ it is hard to choose. At $19.5, it becomes a veritable bargain.

I hope the V50 comes correct and ready to play...Mazda is due to release a 6 wagon soon, and others are well-established in the market: MB, Subaru, VW Jetta/Passat, Audi A4.

Will be excited to see what Volvo is bringing to the table after the XC90 being such a nice launch.
  • bb_lhs_2kbb_lhs_2k Member Posts: 94
    Here are some spy pics of the V50:

http://w1.313.telia.com/~u31303214/V50.jpg
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This discussion has been reactivated by request.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• geo2004geo2004 Member Posts: 18
    We're surprised there is not more discussion on the V50. We just took a test drive and liked nearly everything about it. Being new to Volvo, we checked out comments on the V40 and they're disappointing. Can anyone with V50 buying and driving experience offer comments? We're also intrigued with the promotional oversees trip to purchase the car, bringing the cost down approx $2600. We are long-time very satisfied Honda owners, but Honda Accord is not available in a wagon. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    i can only say that the V40 is a totally different animal, so don't take what is said about that car to heart when applying it to the V50. There is NOTHING similar in the 2 vehicles. Its completely new from the bottom up.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rgmurphyrgmurphy Member Posts: 4
    Hey qbrozen

Why so defensive with the V40?

So, does the V50 carry a industry standard warrantee on basic car components? This would be the first question I would ask about this new car. If they answered no I would immediately walk out and not waste my time.

Is there a link to a Volvo warrantee list for this new car?

Similarities ---> Volvo (Ford) enough said.

RGMurphy P.Eng
  • heatheradamheatheradam Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found a v50 t5 in manual in the states yet? I want to test one before deciding on a wagon, but no-one seems to know when they will be here. do you?
    i'm not sure what you mean. i merely wanted to make clear that nobody should be judging the V50 based on the V40. That would be like saying "i don't like the mazda 6 because i didn't like the 626" or "i don't like the new t-bird because i drove a 1990 t-bird and hated it."

and what is your question on warranty? I'm sure you can find the answer on volvo's corporate website (www.volvocars.com).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I just talked with a couple of local Volvo dealers here in the Denver area, and they told me that it would be December before any manual transmission equipped V50 T5 models are available. They also both indicated that the supply would be very small and that if you wanted one, it might be best to put a deposit down to reserve one.

Not that it matters to me, as the wife and I are considering the T5 AWD with the automatic, but I thought I would pass along what I learned.
  • louiskielouiskie Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I found several manual T5 V50s in the Philadelphia area. I actually bought one a few weeks ago and love it- it is very quiet with very lively acceleration and a lot of nice little features inside that make it fun to drive. You should be seeing more and more manual V50s coming out. Maybe call a few dealers and see what they have in stock.
  • lucydoglucydog Member Posts: 1
    hi there-
    I am thinking of getting the v50 t5 All Wheel drive automatic. Have you gotten yours yet? If so, can you tell me how the seats feel after an hour or so in the car? Also, any other info would be a big help.
    Thanks
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    I, too, was looking at the V50 to replace my STI (stolen three weeks ago). However, it is nearly impossible to find an awd model and even more difficult to find one with a manual transmission, even the fwd model. My other car is a G35x, so I already have one automatic and don't need another. I am probably going to get a Legacy GT Ltd wagon instead. I have driven the manual and the car is a blast. THe interior is like no other Subaru I have ever sat in (luxurious). The problem with the Volvo is that they do not offer an attractive lease program and are difficult to option out. It is as nice or nicer than an A4 Avant, but I gave up on finding one that was optioned the way I wanted. I need a car in two weeks and cannot wait until January to get a new car. I would only consider the wagon because of the small trunk and back seat.
  • flasvtflasvt Member Posts: 64
    I would like to read about buying experience and prices paid. Thanks
  • nomorevolvonomorevolvo Member Posts: 6
    If you want value for money and a reliable car, forget Volvo. Check korean/japanese/european.

Don't pay top dollar for the reliability on Lada level.

When they go, they go great. It's the other times that got me down.
    by reading your other messages, i see you had a V40. Totally different animal, and, from what I've read, more Mitsubishi than Volvo.

• mg940mg940 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with all said that the V50's not a V40- it's much improved.

As a 945T driver, I tried a 40 at the dealership and it felt Mitsubishi-claustrophobic like its birth. I've rented 2 V50's in UK in last few months and I'm seriously headed that way when the kid inherits my 945. Its peppy and just the right size for commuting and taking the dog to the dump on Saturdays.
  • volvo4lifnalvolvo4lifnal Member Posts: 16
    KOREAN. You would buy a Korean vehicle before another Volvo. Man. I hate you had such a bad experience. From what I have learned, that is not the norm.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    What incentives are being offered from factory to dealer for these vehicles? In central and western NY state?

This includes any dealers in northern PA, NJ, VT, NH, OH.
    Edmunds shows $500 rebate to customers who are recent graduates. They also show $1500 incentive to the dealer, but it can't be combined with the special financing currently being offered (3.9%/48 month or 4.9%/60 month).

Carsdirect is showing me a price about $1750 below invoice in Jersey.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Local Boston paper showed on Sunday Free Premium Package or Free AWD on all S40/V50 T5's. May be offered all over New England.
    was that one dealership? Maybe that was their way of "sharing" the dealer cash. I wonder if you have to pay MSRP to get the free upgrade.

If I could get free premium pack AND about $1700 below invoice, I might have to go test drive one of these.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    was that one dealership? Maybe that was their way of "sharing" the dealer cash.

No, it had the name of all the local dealers at the bottom. It might be a deal being done by a New England dealer group. IIRC, it was good through 2/28/05.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    Which dealer in NJ? I went to the carsdirect site, entered info

and it appears to be a dead link. Code 404.

Spoke to the Syracuse NY dealer, they are primarily carrying the

V-50s in AWD, cloth seats, heated, automatics, no sunroof. I

am looking for similar configuration but in FWD only, T-5 auto.

Dealer did confirm $1500 factory to dealer incentive, but who is

to say if only part or all of it would be credited to customer? Again,

which dealer in NJ would do that $1750 below invoice? Can they make

any profit at that point?
    like i said, carsdirect gave me that price. when I put in my zip code and picked the make/model, that's what came up. That's not direct from a dealer. Try it again today, maybe it will work for you and they just had a website issue when you first tried it.

Now, mind you, I have never bought anything through carsdirect and have NO idea if it works. I have, however, printed out their price and used it in negotiations.

Profit? If they sell it to you at that price, what difference does it make? If a dealer is not happy with their margin on a vehicle, then they won't sell it to you, end of story. If you are concerned about them making a profit, then go buy at MSRP and make them happy.

• violettavioletta Member Posts: 1
    hello -

i'm a newbie to the group. i've never owned (or even driven) a volvo, but am thinking of buying one this spring. i don't drive more than 10,000

miles a year, but i want a well-made safe car, with some room, for occasional road trips. my current car is a honda civic, so almost anything will seem big to me. if anyone would like to share thoughts about the V-50, or any other volvo models, i'd be grateful.

cheers,

violetta
  • gadgetfilesgadgetfiles Member Posts: 20
    Looking to get a V50 and need some advice about a couple of issues.

I live in Nebraska - so snow and icy roads are an issue - but for only about 3 months out of the year.

I commute 125 mi a day - all interstate driving - and carry some precious cargo in the car in form of my 3 yr old daughter. Which is why we are going for the Volvo.

My question centers around the AWD system. I am thinking that I should get this - but I notice the car also have the anti-skid / traction control and a winter driving mode on the Auto trans.

I won't be driving through 6 inches of snow with it - if the schools close - I'm staying home and I have a Jeep for the really bad rides. So I'm curious for any feedback on those that have the AWD and love it - and why - as well as those that have the FWD and don't miss or think they need the AWD.

Since I drive so much, fuel economy is an issue - and the 3mpg of the FWD will add up. Although this is a safety before economy decision in the long run.

Thanks for any comments.
  • vti829vti829 Member Posts: 1
    I got a manual shift for $29,750 (incl. premium pkg, conv. pkg, bi-xenon lamps, DSTC & metallic paint).
  • kicker5454kicker5454 Member Posts: 4
    I live in the Seattle area and was offered this deal for a loaded V50 T-5. This seems high to me, any thoughts?

Car: 2005 V50 T-5 leather, sunroof, heated seats, automatic and power seats.

Option #1 Lease: $597 due at start, at 36 months and 12K miles per year for $467/month plus tax.

or

Option #2 Purchase: $800 over invoice for a loaded V50.

Good deal or bad deal?
This discussion has been closed.