Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V50

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    well, you should check with your zip code, but carsdirect tells me i should be able to get one for $1750 BELOW invoice.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Boy, this is a dead board. I would think with gas prices up, there would be more chatter about this car, as an SUV alternative. My wife likes the V50 a lot. I do too, but once you add leather and an auto tranny, the price gets up there a bit, it seems. Are people really paying $1750 below invoice?
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Sheesh, if this board is any gauge, with the interest this car gets my wife should be able to pick one up for five bucks a couple of months from now . . . with leather.
  • leslietva3leslietva3 Member Posts: 10
    You should be able to get the 2005 V50 $1500 under invoice and the T5 model $1850 below... Great Wagon.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    I really like this style/size of car. The Audi A3 is very interesting competition too. Too bad on the Volvo it seems hard to find a V50 stick, although they are somewhat common on the S40. Since the drivetrain is the same, you can always drive the sedan to know if the search is worth while.

I was considering upgrading from my Scion (tC) to a T-5 6 speed, but if I did, it would be to take advantage of one of volvos killer lease deals. They have had a few on the S40 base, and right now seem to be pushing the S602.4T. I don't recall seeing anything on the V50, especially the T5.

I just think this is a great package for people without large families. I have 2 kids, but it would be the second car (we have a minivan). Nice tidy size, fun to drive, good MPG, but plenty of people room and great cargo flexibility.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• handymanxhandymanx Member Posts: 1
    I'm jealous that you've got your 6-speed V50. I was supposed to be taking delivery of mine by now, but somehow, between the dealer and Volvo, my order, which was placed on March 17, didn't get processed. I found out 37 days after placing my order that I wasn't getting my car. The dealer tried to get me to switch to an automatic, saying it would be easier to get me a car, but I politely declined. After getting jerked around by the dealer, I went to a nearby competitor and ordered an '06 V50, scheduled to arrive sometime in July. I can't wait, and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your car.
  • katonekatone Member Posts: 2
    i hesitate in between a new V50 and a used audi S4.
    I like having power in the car, feels safe.
    Can the V50 be boosted to 250HP or more?
  • anitameansanitameans Member Posts: 1
    i got a 05 v50 3 weeks ago (1000 miles) and the check engine light is on already?????
    what does this mean???
    :cry:
    I'm going to guess that its just a loose gas cap.
    Unfortunately, if it works the same now as it does on my '98 volvo, even after tightening the cap, the light will not go away for about 7 days unless you get it reset by the dealer, of course, making you wonder for a full week whether it really was just the gas cap that set it off. So you need to go get the code pulled and confirm.

As a volvo owner, my code reader has become my best tool. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As qbrozen mentions, a not-fully-tightened gas cap is the most likely suspect. If that turns out not to be the case, you might want to drop by our "Check Engine" light discussion and see what the folks there think.
  • v50_buyerv50_buyer Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning to order a '06 V50 T5 FWD 6-spd scheduled for delivery to Michigan in August. However, my sales rep does not have '06MY lease information yet so I don't know where my payment will end up when I take delivery. Does anyone know of the '06 residuals and money factors so that I can estimate my payment?

Secondly, I was disappointed to learn that in order to get leather seats in the T5, you are required to purchase the Premium package and spend an extra $900.
  • bonsbons Member Posts: 45
    I hope they make a V50 ORE (Ocean Race Edition) in time for this year event.
    The Volvo XC90 XC70 and V70 ORE are awesome.
    http://www.volvooceanrace.org/
    http://www.volvocars.com/_campaigns/VolvoOceanRace/new_start.htm
  • pearsonrjpearsonrj Member Posts: 51
    '06 V50 T5 6-sp manual with Premium Package, Convenience Package, Audio Package, DSTC, Sport Package and Bi-Xenons. I figure when all is said and done I've probably saved about $500 compared to buying and taking delivery in California, plus the free airfare and night in a hotel in Sweden. Due to take delivery from the factory on August 19, then its shipped stateside after that which, to the West Coast, takes an additional 8 - 9 weeks. The catch in all of this was that you can't use Volvo financings special incentive interest rates if you finance. Who knows what if any incentive interest rate there will be when the '06s come out...
    Update - I actually just cancelled the order when I found out that the '06 S40s and V50s do NOT include free scheduled maintenance. That is worth about $900, and puts the Audi A4 2.0T Avant much closer as a comparable value...

:mad:
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I actually just cancelled the order when I found out that the '06 S40s and V50s do NOT include free scheduled maintenance. That is worth about $900

I'd double check that $900 - with the included maintenance for 36K you only get 3 oil changes ($50-$75 each) and the 30K service ($200?? I don't know).
    Well I did exactly that prior to posting. I called the service department and the Service Manager was quite happy to tell me what a value the free scheduled maintenance was, as I told him I was considering a 2005 V50. He told me the minor (7,500 and 22,500 mile) services would run about $140 each, and the major (15,000 and 30,000 mile) services would run about $280 each. The minor service includes tire rotation etc. Total = $840 using today's labor rates...
    I was considering a 2005 V50. He told me the minor (7,500 and 22,500 mile) services would run about $140 each,

Wow - $140 for an oil change and 5 visual checks and the major adds 2 visual inspections, a cabin air filter and a parking brake adjustment.

Funny how Volvo's recommended services don't include tire rotations.

http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2005/2005_maintenance.html

Are the prices for Volvo's chart or the dealer's chart?
  • fishgirl2fishgirl2 Member Posts: 1
    I am buying a V50 T5 AWD, 6 speed, through Volvo's overseas delivery program. For those of you that can't seem to find a V50 configured to your specs, its a great program to consider. I was able to get the manual and order leather seats without the premium package. (Earlier threads indicated that the manuals were hard to find in the T5 AWD, and that leather was not available without the premium package). The price is great too. With you OSD program you pay 8%-10% less than the MSRP (depending on which packages you get). :)
  • sanjsriksanjsrik Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I'm being as proactive as I can while waiting to take delivery of my new V50. I know the car is covered by servicing and stuff but in case I need to find a mechanic, can anyone recommend a good mechanic for Volvos (I'm movig from the Honda world and I have an excellent mechanic who never ripped me off for hondas) in the Northern NJ area.

Thanks in advance,

sanjay
    How far north?

Personally, I use Pro VoVo (misspelling is intentional) in Freehold. Even though I moved a half hour away last year, I still make the drive to take my car there. Prices have been consistently about 50-65% of dealer's on many things, including oil changes (dealer charges $55, Pro VoVo is $27). And they have NEVER tried to push any kind of service or repair on me. Only downside is that they are pretty popular, so I usually call Monday or Tuesday for a Saturday appointment.

Excellent, hey, I live in Hawthorne, and I've been traveling all the way to Edison for the mechanic for that car. If you find a good trustable mechanic, it's like finding a good doctor, how far would you travel for that?

This is the same thing.

Thank you very much for the information. Do you have any contact information for these folks?
    I emailed myself their contact info (google being so easy to use).

thanks for the tip.
  • jaramabeigejaramabeige Member Posts: 31
    Dear everyone:

Thanks for your postings. I want to ask: has anyone driven the V50 T5 through the GrapeVine in Southern California? Does the car have enough power going uphill, or is the engine lacking? Is the handling OK? Brakes OK? I appreciate your thoughts.
  • cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    The V50 has made my list for possible new car in the near future. A lot of the reviews I've read have the T5 engine in the vehicle and it gets rave reviews. How does the standard 2.4i compare? I'm not worried about transmissions as it will need to be auto (my wife doesn't do manuals), but I would like to hear from folks who've test driven both or who own them to get their reactions on the day to day grind and how the engines react to the daily commutes. I have driven the T5 and liked it, but if I can shave off some $$ and go with the base engine, why not?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

-c
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Rather than focus on the engine, my focus was on the suspension. The T5 is just too hard for my tastes, [and for a lot of testers, including some pretty hardcore ones] bordering on just downright harsh on anything but butter-smooth roads. The 2.4, on the other hand, is firm but very acceptable, and for me, the difference is between livable and not.

Nobody kicks hp out of bed, but I am one of those who finds the current market obsession with power to be a real head-scratcher. The 2.4 with an automatic was plenty quick enough for me, and reasonably refined to boot. I expect this to be a minority view - there is a whole generation out there, including most of the writers for car magazines, which believes anything that takes longer than 7 seconds to get to 60 mph is unacceptable.....whatever....
  • volvo4lifnalvolvo4lifnal Member Posts: 16
    The Automatic in the V50 is a five speed adaptive auto with Geartronic standard. Because it is adaptive, it evolves to match the driving characteristics of the owner. Although the T5 is really fun to drive, if you are trying to save some cash, the 2.4i is a reliable satisfactory way to go. As far as all the performance talk; the best selling Volvo's are not the high performance models. Think 2.5T XC90, 2.5T S60 and 2.4i S40 and.
    Hope this helps. So often, it seems the only people who post to these boards are the ones who have had problems. I
    I agree. I have a 2.4i and it's fine. It is very speedy when it comes to merging onto the highway, and very fuel conscious. So far.

The only problem i've had with the V50 so far has been the issue with the radio cutting out and having to pull over and turn off the car and restarting.

Service guys said it was a known issue and required a software upgrade. i check volvotechinfo.com and this is what I found:

TNN39-48-2005-05-06 SW upgrade to solve No sound, frozen radio display, and PI seek message

Typical symptom for the no sound concern caused by software is, that on the ICM display everything is shown as if the system is working (volume control, AM/FM/CD change, frequency change etc.) but, there is no sound coming from the loudspeakers. This symptom is usually noticed after an engine start.

BTW, this site should be a must visit to see what you might be looking forward to based on the model and what might crop up
  • v50_buyerv50_buyer Member Posts: 2
    Wondering if anyone has had their '06 V50 T5 FWD delivery delayed? My delivery date has been changed 3 times now. Latest estimate is Sept 10th. Has anyone heard of a part/calibration issue at the plant that would cause such delays? I've ordered w/ premium package and convenience package.
  • v50inflv50infl Member Posts: 2
    I own both a '05 V50 T5 and an '05 S40 2.4i. If your driving is mostly commuting, I would recommend the 2.4i. Power is more than adequate for this type of driving. If, however, you do more highway driving, the 2.4i is a bit strained in passing situations. It only means a downshift (automatic trans), but it can get old after a while.

Please note that both cars exhibit a "rubber band effect" when accelerating from a stop. That is, on pressing the pedal, they hesitate at first and then leap forward. This is exacerbated by the turbo; the 2.4i is definitely smoother. You would soon adapt to it, but again, it can be annoying.
  • tim99tim99 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 3 month old V50 T5 AWD and our engine problems started before we drove it off the lot. The sales guy started it up to drive it over to the service side of the building to prep it for sale and the car stuttered and died. I dismissed it as user error at the time, but have had intermittent problems ever since. We tend to switch between low and mid grade fuel and it seems that the problem is less prevalent with the low grade fuel. That might be a mere coincidence, though.
    Has anyone had any brake problems with this car? Ours squeal like an old city bus once the brakes get warmed up. The dealer has inspected the brakes and dismissed my concern as typical brake noise. It isn't.
  • palmtreepalmtree Member Posts: 2
    Look at the engine choices and accompanying fuel economy available in the UK.

http://www.volvocars.co.uk/showroom/v50/_campaign/opendoors/default.htm

When will we get deisels like this in USA? What is the hold up--it's made by Ford for crying out loud. It must be the damned oil companies and their political ties. I am very frustrated by this.
    Does anyone know if a person can bring a vehicle like this into the states? 49.6 miles per gallon is really good for a car like this.
    Keep in mind that you won't see this diesel (or any other) engines until low sulphur diesel fuel is introduced in the US sometime in 2007. Expect the prices of the fuel to go up as well.

Also. that 49.6 is based on Imperial gallons - not US gallons which are smaller. Expect a lower MPG number.
  • palmtreepalmtree Member Posts: 2
    Well that makes me feel a little better. Thanks for the info.
  • gmills1gmills1 Member Posts: 4
    I've shopped around briefly the last week for a leftover non-turbo V-50 (not many left) in the Washington, DC area. The best price I've received is $24,350 (including freight; not tax, tags title) for a vehicle whose MSRP is $29,200. Any thoughts whether this a good deal given building inventories of 06s? It seems to be about $3000 less than what dealers will let a comparable 06 model go for. Thanks.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Here in Tidewater,I've let V50s go for larger discounts...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Ohhh, "Tidewater", I'm so glad you still call it that ... :-)
  • draldosdraldos Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    my brakes have been the same. It has been back to the garage 4 times and they say there is a problem with the brake disc composition. LAst time they replaced them, however it has started again. have you got any further?
    Hello all. My wife and I are considering a V50 purchase through the Overseas Delivery Program. Has anyone here done this? If so what was your experience like? Would you do it again? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-C
  • concrete1717concrete1717 Member Posts: 29
    I did an Edmunds text search with "volvo overseas" and found some interesting posts, including an Edmunds "Inside Line" on Volvo overseas delivery.
    Yeah, I did a search and read the Inside Line article as well as some posts here in the V50 thread. I was just curious what other folks' opinions and experiences were. I'm slowly working my way through the other Volvo threads, but figured rather than cross post to a bunch of different threads I'd start here since its the V50 we're considering. Thanks for the heads up on the site-wide search though.
  • v50houndv50hound Member Posts: 5
    We recently ordered and received our V50 T5 AWD, 6 speed.
    There have been several times that the brakes start squealing, mainly after it is warmed up. It is not really bothersome, but for a new car (500 miles) it should not do this. We plan on bringing it back to have them look at the brakes. I think it is mainly the rears. I did add my own trim kit to it as I did not care much for Volvo's body kit. The German firm Heico makes a "sportier" looking kit. Front and rear facias are much nicer and especially with the rear exhausts. I also had the black sills painted the same as the body color so it is not the 2 tone look. All this for about the same as the same cost as you pay for the extra
    Volvo body kit. There is a U.S. distributor for the Heico
    kit and a good body shop will install and paint it.
  • baumer81baumer81 Member Posts: 1
    got any pics?
    For pics of a good body kit for the V50 go to:

http://www.heicosportiv.de/shop/produkte.asp?lang=gb&e1=230&e2=420&e3=424#10655

www.heicosprotiv.com
  • hawaiivolvohawaiivolvo Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

We ordered a V50 from Osan Korea and had it delivered to Hawaii. The only problem was the delay. We ordered in October and didn't get the car until late March. Some of this was the additional time to Hawaii, but that only took 5 days. Our experience was good, but the delay is something you really need to plan for. The price btw was awesome compared to what we would have paid by buying in Hawaii. It was totally worth it!
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    Stopped by my local dealer for a drive and a price. I'm told there is a Volvo to dealer $2000 rebate on all v50s and this is what I got for pricing:

2.4i (Black) with:
    Climate pkg
    Select pkg
    Sport pkg
    Leather

Retail: $31,810
    KBB invoice: $29,608
    Dealer quote: $26,825 This is for a locate car (not on the lot). I also got a price for a T5 that had a retail price of $33,700(ish) and a dealer price of $28,730 (not on the lot). Then the salesman said I could probably have a T5 AWD that was on the lot for almost the same price as the locate T5.

These prices seem very reasonable but is there more room? I don’t like to leave money on the table!
    seems great to me. Carsdirect gives me a price on that 2.4i of $27,608. Your dealer is almost $800 below that. Sounds like they are really trying to get yer business.

This is the body kit I installed on my wife's V50:

http://www.heicosportiv.de/shop/produkte.asp?lang=gb&e1=230&e2=420&e3=424#10655

They have a US distributor in New Jersey.
    I ordered a V50 T5 AWD and thought wanted to take advantage
    of the overseas "pickup". The free trip (for 2) to Sweden
    and the $2,600 discount is a great deal. My schedule did not allow to do this. It does extend the delivery time another 6 weeks added onto the normal ordering time.

The car is really nice. Handles great, performance is good,
    though I would like more horsepower (say 250hp). I did consider the V70R (now that has the performance), but my wife thought it was a bit too big. I plan to make my own V50R. I already did the body kit, now I need to wait awhile (warranties) to tweek up the horsepower.
  • jobypanackaljobypanackal Member Posts: 1
    Ride is smooth and comfortable. Pickup is good. Seats are excellent. Rear side seats are very comfortable but not enough leg space for rear passengers. I am getting an average of 25MPG in both City & Highway drives. i didn't test how much i get only in a highway. My overall experience is good. The only problem is that the brake pedal and the gas pedal is very very close.
    Does anyone know when the 2007s will begin to show up?

-cos
This discussion has been closed.