Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Owners: Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• kumashirosankumashirosan Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, bought a 1996 S-10 Chevy Blazer 5spd, 4wd (or so the previous owner claims) Unfortunately, I know nothing about Blazers (I used to own import sport cars, never a suv or an american car at that) Apparently, it's got 124,000 miles and some moderate body damage, but I got it for quite a cheap price so no complaints. However, ungrateful previous owner did not mention anything that needed to be repaired so I end up driving with all four ball joints (upper and lower) that needs to be replaced along with the joint that connects to this bar which i think is the outter tie-rod, (i didn't know i had to replace these till i heard a very loud clunk noise from my front right wheel and left my car vibrating oddly and unable to make sharp turns either way) And to top it off, my side-view mirrors broke off as well. Now, I'm not about to give up on this car as i JUST bought it so I'm doin repairs. Now the part I'm having real trouble with is when I engaged it into 2wd, the light doesn't show that it's in and the light display that shows if the front wheels are engaged or not always stay on. Does this mean that my transfer case cannot completely disengage? Also, when I try to shift back to 4wd, it is rather difficult to lock it in unless i shift it to neutral first and then shift upwards into 4wd. At some point I couldn't even move it at all and at another point it was stuck in 4wd low and I had to literally force it back into neutral. Any Ideas would be great :D

Oh yeah, one more thing, It's not happening now but for awhile, My RPM would stay quite high, about 2,000-3,000 and would not drop even in idle, my car would Jerk violently as if I was downshifting and flooring it when really, all I'm doing is cruising. I heard something that sounds like a fuel pump problem like it wasn't able to pump because there was something jammed in the fuel line. Any Ideas on this too?
  • kat14kat14 Member Posts: 1
    When I start up my '92 S-10 PU 4WD it either crawls forward or stalls out. If I give it gas, it stalls out and when I ease up on the gas, it lurches forward then goes back to the crawl. After about 10 min of crawling (while hearing a loud clanging of what I think are the clutch plates-but I could be wrong) it kicks in and drives. It feels warm in the cab afterwards and my transmission fluid level is fine, but had tiny bubbles on the dipstick. Any ideas?
  • tonyk7tonyk7 Member Posts: 1
    You probably have figured this out by now, but when your rpm stays high and your car jerks around, it means you are probably stuck in 4-low. Your transfer case is probably shot too. Anyway sell it if you havent already. In my experience with Chevys you either get a real good one or a lemon.
  • cwlcwl Member Posts: 1
    My 93 Blazer died a few days ago becuase it would not start and none of the electrical worked. We checked the battery and it had no power running from it. The battery was changed and the truck will still not start. None of the lights or electrical systems work(ie remote and power locks) So if anyone can help please do it will be much appreciated
  • dopydogdopydog Member Posts: 4
    hi karen , my name is roger and i have 2000 extreme ,love this show truck.its a black beauty. need to ask ? how do i do that?
  • lou732lou732 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1989 s10 chevy blazer for $550 lots of rust on the body but it has only 53,000 original miles on its 2,8 v6 I am thinking of restoring it I have been driving it for a few days now and have noticed a few things ,keep in mind I am not complaining about my bargain ,it seems to be a bit sluggish in its pick up and shifts into gears a little slow
    I also noticed a small transmission leak after I park I have checked the fluid it says its fine , I was told by a friend that that year blazer had a problem with a leaky transmission pan gasket,one other thing my shift indicator seems to be slightly off i really like the truck and I am hoping you guys can offer some help and advice.
  • nbrivernbriver Member Posts: 2
    I have a compressor,dryer,orfice tube, fuel pump, and a drivers side window motor. i had bought them for my chevy but traded in. I'm asking 300.00 for a/c parts 150.00 for fuel pump and 40.00 for window motor or take best offer.
  • sasssyasssasssyass Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am new here just tonite, and seen the message with the 2000 S10 blazer drivers side window motor, I have a 92' S10 4x4 2dr and my window only works every once in a while, my question is do u know if a 2000 window motor will work in a 92'. sry I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to auto's. I have alot to ask but, no time this moment.
    thanx
  • nbrivernbriver Member Posts: 2
    the window motor for 92 is differnt than a 2000. than you
  • sasssyasssasssyass Member Posts: 2
    ok, thank you!
  • bigbmt2388bigbmt2388 Member Posts: 1
    hi my name is bryan, im 17 years old and really into my truck i have a 1988 chevy s-10 pickup with a 2.5L 4 banger with a fuel inj. carb

this site rocks
  • jondelljondell Member Posts: 1
    My name is Jondell and I am the owner of a Red 2003 GMC Sonoma ZR2. Not having looked at the speedometer for a while I'll hazard that it has just over 31,500 or so miles. I've been really happy with the vehicle but between work and now having a 6 month old son I have yet to take my baby off the paved path!

I purchased this beauty in 2004 and have used it mostly on stop and go traffic on I-5 in the Portland area to go to work and for driving up to Seattle a mear 3 times!

As I mentioned I have a 6 month old and even though I can turn off the side airbag I'm looking at selling my trusty truck in order to afford a more fuel efficient and family friendly vehicle before the summer fuel prices kick in :( .

If your interested in pictures and other information just send me an email. Of course it may take a day or two to respond with my hands full w/ the new son!! :)

Thanks!

Jondell
  • 1989cameo1989cameo Member Posts: 1
    Do you want to sell you cameo?
  • flipper3flipper3 Member Posts: 10
    hi karen

i am an 18 year old male from louisiana. i bought my S-10 2nd hand. its a 2002 ZR2 you know the specs. so im not going into all that. i bought this truck to go to school and maybe my camp in, mainly because it is a lot better on gas than my 1975 ford bronc which gets all of 11 mpg. anyway im on a swimming scholarship hence flipper. the forum has been a majo help so far thanks a ton.

sam
  • highrider03highrider03 Member Posts: 1
    Hello KarenS! I am the proud female owner of a black '03 Sonoma. Baby is an extended cab, 4x4, wide-stance Highrider (hence my name). So far for mileage I have put on @ 125,000 kms. I am the 1st and only owner of Baby. While I have had some problems, I love my truck and will not give Baby up. I was browsing through the content and decided to join. I have 2 questions - is this mainly an American site, or are there other Canadians also? Is there a forum to post pix of our rides? :shades:
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    I had the same problem with my 92 4.3z. In my case it was a sensor called "EGR Vacuum Solenoid". I'm not familiar with the 95's as to wether or not they have one but it might be worth looking into. :)
  • slacker69boyslacker69boy Member Posts: 2
    im looking into a sonoma high rider but im very unsure about GM products bc of my girlfriends Cobalt so what does everyone think about the Sonoma versus the Toyota Tacoma?
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    I bought almost 3 months ago with 88000 miles. It is a 4.3L V6 ext cab with auto and 2WD. It is my 3rd GM truck. I bought a 4 cyl 2000 S10 that I traded for a "01 Silverado that I also still have. I have only put 3k,5k, and 19k on the 3 trucks so I have never had anything wear out or break. The 4 cyl auto S10 was used for 10 mile drive to work and I probably should have kept it. I spent $14k more to trade it for a Silverado Ext cab. I call it the $14000 back seat. The silverado gets 3 mpg less than the 4 cyl did. The '01 Silverado had a career change when my commute went up by 36 miles, each way. It started sitting around a lot and still does.
    I had the '99 Sonoma offered to me for very good price, $2500. I decided to get it for my 14 year old. I'll use it in the mean time but 3 things have changed since I got it. My older son has started to drive it instead of his Mustang. To my suprise the Sonoma got 26 mpg on the trip back to midwest from Fla, where I got it.
    The 3rd thing is I fixed the a/c by just charging it.
    Then it continued to suprise by getting 25 mpg in local driving. It is my 3rd GM with a 4.3L V6, but the other ones get 22 and 23 on trips and high teens local. My friend with a 2000 Grand Am 4 cyl gets the same 26 mpg hwy as the Sonoma.
    I have 184k miles on the oldest of my 3 4.3L GM's. It is next in line to get rid of but I have not had to do much to it. I expect to get a relatively trouble free next 100,000 miles from the Sonoma.
    The Sonoma, being from S. fla has not been in salt and was undercoated when new. The undercarriage is nearly rust free. I have gone through it and fixed a few things in it (like charging the a/c and new front brake pads), and the only 2 things left are the alignment and the instrument backlighting.
  • mile51mile51 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Forums,
    I'm looking for a 1991 Cameo S-10 front bumper cover with round fog lamps. My landlord sent a couple yahoos over to the house to clean up the property some and they accidentally threw mine away. (It was sitting on top of two trash cans after getting a small crack repaired.) Doh!
    Anyway Here's a link to a page I whipped up with pictures of each year they were produced.
    http://www.uhtc.net/~polar/cameo.php
    I also noticed that this truck doesn't have it's own area here.....mods?
    They're getting rare and are as old as the internet.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have one or know where to get one..

Mile51
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    Found this vehicle in my local Ford dealer recently as a replacement for my wife's 95 Explorer. I have been favorably impressed with the drive train. The 4.3 feels very much like an 8 cyl. because at 65 mph it is doing under 2000 rpm, Is that correct ?
    The vehicle is very well equiped with trailer towing package. Does anybody know how to find out if it is equipped with positraction or traction lock on the rear end. It seems to go through the snow without any drama. :D
    It does also have the very unreliable gas gauge often cited as a problem.
  • junior83junior83 Member Posts: 4
    I have recently purchased a 95 sonoma highrider off the original owner,with the factory window sticker.I love this truck,black,ext cab,4x4 on the floor,4.3 cpi,373 posi rear.the truck is in very nice shape,except fot the clear coat cracking on the hood,but a new 4'' cowl hood is gonna fix that.mt problem is the gentleman sold it to me for $900 after wanting $2400 for it mths ago.when i went to pick it up,he had it running to charge the batttery from sitting,(cough,cough.)the next morning in 20 degree ohio coldness,the engine had a rod knock,i have put over 1000 miles on it and every morning,same knocking noise,until it warms up,then it quites down,reminds me of a diesel..haha,i believe it is a worn wrist pin,as a rod bearing would've surely went by now.but like I said,i love this lil trick,and for what i paid,i'm not complaining.my only grip is i cannot find the 4x4 shift cable anywhere,and i'm tired of crawling under it to put it in and out of 4x4.GM wants $85.00 for it.
    sorry for your problems,but most sound like your taking it to a bad repair shop or dealership.
    sounds like you might have put the fuel filter on backwards.
    sounds like either a bad ground to the battery or the positive battery cable to the starter is bad/loose.
  • lawdog30lawdog30 Member Posts: 1
    I cant help you with a front bumper cover. I know you have been looking for one for a while. I have been hunting for a drivers outer door panel for a 1980 Cameo and havent had any luck either. I have mine ready to paint and this is all that is stopping me. Do you have one for sale? Thanks, Darren
  • CDIICDII Member Posts: 8
    1st, Great site, Loads of info. I am the 3rd owner of a 1999 S10 LS 4x4 Stepside with 4.3Ltr (180k + miles), A/C, Auto and standard cab, Black Pearl Paint ( sharp when cleaned up)/ dark grey interior. Absolutely great running truck with lots of getup and go when needed. The 4 wheel drive is unstopable. Only real complaint (which is €on me) is I hit a pipe gate and creased the hood, cracked the edge of front window and broke the pass mirror. Month after buying, the fuel pump died (130k mi) and coil pack died with no warning, cruising down a winding mountain no traffic luckly (150k mi.). My better half still says its her truck. Love this truck, 5 years ago - best 6k I spent. :shades:
  • slammer449slammer449 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, to start I have a 1998 s10 2.2. Awhile back I had to replace a new left front spring ( i blew the original one into 2 peices, no idea how i did that) so i went ahead and replaced both springs and shocks. Well a little while later i started noticing some creaking and small popping noises. There were no noises before i replaced the spring and shock. I can push down on the right front bumper and it makes a large popping sound. It also makes the sound when i let the clutch out and start going at a stop, and when i back up, and over large bumps. Does anyone know the reason for this. I think it may have something to do with me replacing the spring or maybe with me mud riding so much. Any solutions. Thanks!!
  • bigbill55bigbill55 Member Posts: 2
    Just rebuilt 2.2.ltr. sonoma engine runs fine but don't show oil pressure right
    it shows 80 plus when running and about 40 when its off, never owned sonoma
    before and this one was messed up when I bought it so don't know what to try.
  • bigbill55bigbill55 Member Posts: 2
    REPLACED OIL SENDING UNIT WITH GAUGE READS 55-60 LBS PRESSURE
    WORK FINE, NOW I HAVE REPLACED WITH NEW SENDING UNIT AND IT
    ALSO READS AROUND 60 LBS EVERYTHINGS GOOD,
  • iamthebettyiamthebetty Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 S10. Some "fun" problems. Owner induced of course. Stopped at a store and left the radio on for hubby sleeping in truk. Ran the battery down. Pushed started it. Accelerator stuk in high. Drove a mile down the road and turned off truk cause of this. Then couldn't get it started. Jump started it.
    No problems til this winter. Delivering pizza in the ice and no anitfreeze. Not thinkin bout it much. Next morning didn't bump the ignition to move the serpentine belt. Of course it stuck overnight and broke off and made holes in radiator which I didnt see.
    Replaced the belt and drove it a couple 13 miles or so. Each stop and start got more hard starting. Finally went to store and on getting back in truk wouldnt start. Had it jump started to get home.
    Next month, couldn't get it started so replaced the fuel filter. Then found out about the holes in radiator. No water present in oil at that time.
    This week, finally got new radiator. Put it in. Still hard to start but started truk. Added water and coolant. Oh no, it is disappearing! Wouldn't you know it. Water in the oil.

Blown Head Gasket!
    So now gonna attempt that. Had replaced a wiring harness on a dodge truk once. Worked on other cars thru my life.
    Betty :sick:
  • dragonxvdragonxv Member Posts: 2
    dragonxvi am the owner of a 91 gmc sonoma sle 4.3L
  • dragonxvdragonxv Member Posts: 2
    dragonxvi am the owner of a 91 gmc sonoma sle 4.3L
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to talk with a Texas resident who's in the market for a new pickup truck. If you're able to help, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your preferred contact info by Thursday, September 26, 2013.
  • Jennifer_LewisJennifer_Lewis Member Posts: 1
    Hello.  I own a 2000 S15 extended cab Sonoma and hubby got her as a resto project for me.  She is a bit rough with rusted out cab corners and a blown transmission.  Her paint is pealing off and is sun bleached but I plan to make her a beautiful red rose again.  She is currently in my driveway awaiting paint and parts.  She has over 200,000 miles on her and I plan to make her come to life again.  This is my first resto project.  My daily driver is a 2015 Terrain .
  • burlybearburlybear Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I own a 92 4.3 auto 4x4 ex cab tahoe. I love this little truck. I bought the truck from a friend. It sat under a tarp for 10 yrs. It's red and still shines. It has 104,000 miles on it. This is the first 4x4 that I've owned. It is really nice to have a 4x4 to get through north dakota winters. My friend has 3 other s10's. I've owned 10 other chevy trucks. It's good to hear about others. Thanks.