Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    A great deal more than a standard Caravan. The big question is whether it holds more than an Odyssey. I'll bet crkeehn knows! I think the Odyssey is class leading in holding water. And with the power sliders not working the water would stay in a long time.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    To tell you the truth, the only comparison I am aware of was done by a leading automotive magazine prior to the release of the second generation Odyssey. At that time they used cases of beer. They determined that both the Standard and Grand models of the Chrysler vans would hold more cases of beer than the Windstar.

I'm sure that the Odyssey would probably hold about as many cases of beer as the GC, I have no doubt that the beer would be Canadian.

I have no doubt that some wiser person will inform me that the above judgement just won't hold water.
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    DC owners think crkeehn's comments are dry.

Ody owners think they're all wet.

jk:GESS
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    The ody will have a dead battery too.
    True enough.

My understanding with the EX ody is that due to that power slider the door will no doubt be stuck halfway open. Would taht only lose half the power giving the battery a half life?
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    no, just that the rain won't be able to fill up the interior as quick (advantage Ody)
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    If both doors were left half open would half the water run out?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If anyone has anything topical to say, please jump in....

Steve, Host
  • jlewelling1jlewelling1 Member Posts: 65
    ...it holds oil, it will be completely dry.
    The purchase of any vehicle is a personal matter. There is no perfect vehicle, only one that is perfect or imperfect for a given person.

Consequently, the debat over the Odyssey/DCC/Kia/Toyota etc cannot reveal which is the perfect van, only try and discuss the attributes so that the consumer can select the one that best meets his needs. It's a pity that most posters don't realize that.
  • bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    When last I posted, I had taken a job at a local DC dealership selling cars, trucks and vans. Well, that didn't last long I can tell you. I was showing this couple a fine DC Grand Caravan and their two children were climbing in, around and all over the vehicle. My consultative sales process was constantly being interrupted by the kids interruptions, asking their parents for quarters for the machine that dispenses Skittels. "Mom, he got more Skittels than me." "Mom, he took some of my Skittels" and "can I have another quarter, I ate all my Skittels" were constantly being thrown out by the two boys.

After about a half hour of this, I couldn't take it anymore and I excused myself to get a cup of coffee and chill out. When I returned to the van, the kids had licked the Skittles and had colored all over the seats and carpet with them. Some of the offending spit-laden Skittles were even laying on the carpet getting stepped on and ground-in to the fabric.

Well, I lost it. I screamed at the kids, which got their parents mad. The parents and I were both screaming at each other. One of them (I can't remember which one - I was really mad) suggested it would all come out with some carpet cleaning. Aren't the seats Scotchguarded" they asked. "No" I replied, "and that crap doesn't work on ignorance anyway", I added.

Well, that got me fired from that job, but the good news is that I landed another gig at the Honda dealership down the street! At least I don't have to pretend to think the DC is just as good or better that the Ody any more.
    I can see you clearly have the right personalaity for sales......

Of course I can't even imagine what I'd have done under the circumstances!
    Inconsiderate salesperson???????

What happens when your Ody buyer comes back with the van full of water. It seems to be happening a lot lately
    Guess what, the same family would go to your Honda dealer thinking about that horrible day they had with that DC sales...
    oh wait, people are used to the take it or leave it attitude from Honda. Yeah, you are fine in Honda dealer.
    That story reminds me about my friend put a dent on a Saturn at the dealer..."wasn't that supposed to be dent proof..."..."well yes, the doors not the roof..."
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    You shouldn't have been fired. Those parents were ignorant. I couldn't imagine allowing my children act like that and be destructive and then downplaying it and blaming the vehicle for not having Scotchguard! Good for you for standing up to them and I'm sorry you got fired.
    Unfortunately, that sort of position is one in which you shouldn't lose your temper, no matter what the provocation. Any public service or sales position requires a lot of tongue biting and the patience of Job.

Of course, afterwards in the break room.......
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I 'm with you on this one. I think you were too patient. You should have throttled the father within an inch of his life. You should have rolled up a news paper and hit his wife on the nose saying "bad dog"
      Good luck selling Honda's. Since customers have to wait for an Odyssey, there will be no kids messing up one on the lot.
    he could have tried to drown them....

Anyway, it looks like the days of the wait on the Odyssey are gone. Local dealer, who is an idiot by the way, has a couple on his lot. I didn't ask price because I'm not in the market but I see in here that people are getting deals on them now.

Used ones are still holding value nicely. This is good.
    easy to get water in GC, hard to get water out
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    I can't seem to build & price a T&C with a NAV on the web.
    Can you?
    ....but I have asked the parts department and the system costs $2000 labor included.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    The Odyssey EX-NAV is reasonably priced, has a very user-friendly NAV, and according to Consumer Reports is much more reliable and holds resale value far better than the Dodge/Chrysler minivans.
        Since one son has a well equipped 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport and another one has a 2001 Odyssey EX, I have been able to make a direct comparison.
        The Odyssey has better seating arrangement with double the cargo space but the Grand Caravan Sport is quieter and has many more nice features not on the Odyssey EX. I imagine the 2001 Ody EX now has a greater resale value now than the newer 2002 GC Sport and will probably go longer before major repairs are needed than will the GC Sport.
        However, if money is no concern, the Dodge/Chrysler minivans do offer the most luxury.
  • lfikelfike Member Posts: 38
    I don't know about you guys, but I dropping my AAA coverage asap! I mean they have a few good picks there with the Acura and Lexus but gimme a break on the others. Consumer reports would back me on this one!

Chrysler for the leading mini van?!?!?!?!?!???
    You should take another look at one :-)

Steve, Host
    We all have our prejudices including Consumer Reports, AAA, etc.
        A closer reading indicates AAA did not consider reliability and resale as their most heavily weighted criteria as does CR.
        Notice their emphasis on items such as "over the road performance, comfort, convenience, workmanship and overall value."
        Maybe AAA considers the HUGE discounts DC has been giving buyers of new Grand Caravans which would make them cost far less than the Odyssey.
        I have compared since one son has a 2001 Ody EX and another has a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport. The Grand Caravan Sport is quieter, smoother riding and has more nice features than does the Ody EX BUT the Ody EX has more flexible seating and double the cargo space behind the 3rd row seating + the 3rd row folds into the floor which is convenient if large items are to be hauled.
    "Chrysler for the leading mini van?!?!?!?!?!???"

The whole AAA organization exists for people whose cars are likely to breakdown. Of course they would pick Chrylser. If everyone drove Honda's and Toyotas' there would be no need for an AAA.
    I always thought AAA existed solely to lobby to pave the entire countryside....

Steve, Host
    I would never buy a DC van in a million years even if it had factory NAV, which apparently it does NOT since the dealer has to install the NAV.
    Besides, the looks of the T&C inside and outside just looks "slightly ugly" as jsmath5 would put it:-)
    Apparently the person that wrote is interested in the DC van. They studied and considered that the DC van offered what they were interested in.

Andrew, apparently you had the opposite feeling. That doesn't make them wrong or you totally right.
    if you are not going to buy DC van in a million years why would you care if they offer a NAV or not. I don't care if Ponitac has one because I will not buy one and certainly won't go to Pontiac's website to see they have one.

By the way, here is the reason why (I think) DC didn't install the Nav from the factory. Unlike
    most Nav that need a big screen on the center console to operate, the one from DC built within the radio. Since a customized center console is not needed in DC case you can always add one in the future.
    Since my DC van's center console isn't customized I have added a Pioneer Nav and DVD player into the center console. Now I can watch DVD in front while the car is moving. I know it is not safe ;-) but can your Nav equipped Ody do that?
    I like NAV no matter who has them--DC, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Buick, etc.
    There are pros & cons with aftermarket NAV, just like all aftermarket products.
    I guess as long as the dealer can install them and give you the same bumper to bumper warranty, it's alright.
    But the most important reason for me is the looks. A big screen NAV on the center console looks great. With the aftermarket, the screen is either small or it is motorized to retract or "disappear" into the unit when it is turned off. And the way it looks just doesn't look quite as good as a permanent NAV screen on the console.
    Of course with your aftermarket, you could install it in your future vehecile and I cannot do that on my Ody.
    But how long does it take for the screen to open up and get started?
    Well, NAV is great, but how does the NAV look on the dealer installed van? Is it a motorized one like your Pioneer?
    I couldn't care less to watch dvd while the car is moving. I have dvd/vcr/tv for the rear entertainment on a 7" widescreen.
    All I care about while driving is the NAV and the cool looking factory NAV screen.
    But I think your Pioneer aftermarket NAV is just as good as any NAV. Is it voice activated?
    I guess I'm more used to the Japanese Lexus and Acura looks. Anything else, including the German cars like Mercedes and BMW or "American" cars, just does not look good to me.
    I grew up with my dad and his "American" car plus a million repairs. I finally got him switched to Toyota and now he is a Toyota person forever.
    So based on countless repair experiences, I would never ever buy another "American" car make.
    But that's just me.
    Also, the Ody is the best looking minivan :-)
    It takes 10 seconds for the 7" screen to come out and start playing and yes it is voice activated. The one from DC has the screen on the center of the radio.
  • steelengsteeleng Member Posts: 71
    I think maybe Andrewtran should be driving a giant Nav system on wheels (with leather seating of course) :). I personally do not care much for Nav systems in vehicles. The $2000 cost is something I just cannot justify when I can easily get by with my $15 atlas for the 2 or 3 times a year that I actually need it (I plan my route ahead of time so that I don't have to look at it while driving). I also do not like the look of a big touch screen in the middle of my dash. Finally, I find them to be a distraction like cell phones. There is nothing like the experience I had riding with my boss in his LS430 with him holding a cell phone to his ear with one hand and poking the Nav screen with his other hand. Luckily we were on a five lane stretch of freeway because that left two lanes for the rest of the drivers to use. YMMV
    I don't get it. So how big is the screen?
    So is the NAV screen installed on the dash permanently?
    It may just be a cool toy. However, when I drive to Texas, the NAV is great to have. I don't have to think about maps. I think that if you have a good trial of the NAV, you would be hooked too.
    It all started for me when I rented a car from Hertz Rental. The only car left on the lot had NAV, so they let me drive it without charging me the usual $6 per day for the NAV. Man, it was great. After that I was hooked. I bought the DeLorme Earthmate GPS for my Laptop. It worked okay, but nothing like the "real" stuff. So when my wife said we needed a minivan, I just had to have it.
    Life is too short. Have fun while you can and enjoy the moment and all the toys-for-boys:-)
    Based on a previous post, AAA selected the Acura 3.2TL and Lexus GS 400 as their pick in their price range since they are the most likely to break down. I quote from a previous post: "The whole AAA organization exists for people whose cars are likely to breakdown".
         Acura 3.2TL and Lexus GS 400 selected for the same reason it was stated AAA selected Chrysler minivan. (However, the AAA link specified the Dodge Grand Caravan as the choice of AAA for minivans).
        Spread the word: Do NOT buy an Acura or Lexus because ...." If everyone drove Honda's and Toyotas' there would be no need for an AAA."
    Judging from the brochure/website and the size of the actual radio. I think the screen is about 4". No, the screen is on the front face of the radio.
  • strokeoluckstrokeoluck Member Posts: 99
    Did someone say 7" "widescreen"? What has this world come to?

- Rob
    7" widescreen LCD is the standard these days on minivans with RES including the Odyssey and Sienna.
    I know. You really can't call a 7" screen a widescreen. But by definition any screen in 16:9 is called widescreen
    "Chrysler's previous decision to stick with bulky seats that have to be removed, instead of incorporating a fold-flat third seat, has been viewed by auto analysts and its own dealers as one of the biggest errors in design judgment in the last decade."

Chrysler turns to flat-folding seats (USA Today)

Steve, Host
  • lfikelfike Member Posts: 38
    These guys have been at the minivan mkt for about 2 decades and they still cut corners. They should be light years ahead of their competitors. I honestly believe one of the biggest problems they have is using cheap parts in their assembly. Like the PT Cruiser and Sebring Convertable (both made in Mexico by the way)....They have nothing but problems. Good ole Honda and Toyota (both built in USA) use better parts...I think it's that simple...use a better water pump and you won't have it fail as soon as a cheap one.....Chrysler cuts corners where they should'nt. I know one thing that's certain, it's not the American workers fault. They have proved that with Honda in Marysville Ohio.
    I do think Honda has to step up to the plate and make their warranty longer. Those Korean car companies are starting to take a toll on the auto market. Can you imagine how many cars Honda would sell if they had a 10yr 100,000 mile warranty?
    I'm rambling again..sorry...
    my 2 cents
    ...on parts according to my mechanic. They are going to try to make up the loss on sales by getting more money off replacement parts. In other words, don't expect quality to improve.
    The PT Cruiser has proven itself to be quite reliable in the first few years. Although there are ones that are problematic, there are also many that have no problems at all.

According to the Consumer Reports Frequency of Repair records, the 2002 PT Cruiser over two years has had an excellent reputation, I believe that Road and Track in their long term report commented that the PT Cruiser compiled "one of the most impressive records of any vehicle in the history of the long-term fleet."
This discussion has been closed.