Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Interesting comparison!

Until you've actually passed that "kidney stone", the tolerance for pain has to be evaluated by each prospective "patient" (customer).

I'm using the latest and greatest in OS's (Windows versions anyhow) and I personally wouldn't even consider a Touraeg unless VW had an unqualified free replacement vehicle loaner policy (if yours was in the shop for any reason beyond a day).
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    This is not a "known problem"...I do not even know if the one that you selected had been Pre-Delivery Inspected...

What I do know is that when I send a Touareg down the road, it does not come back...Although our Service Bays have Touaregs with different Dealer tags everyday, it seems...

We also have 10 T-Regs in our Service Loaner Program.

Art...What happened yesterday?
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Nothing happened yesterday or today. The Toureg is still in the shop as far as well can tell. My son-in-law called the dealer and told them he was no longer interested in that vehicle. I think we need to see another dealer before looking at alternatives.

I find it very hard to believe that this dealer, with assistance from VW, could not handily solve this problem. The Toureg has a 9/03 Texas inspection sticker so it has been on the lot for a couple of months. I cannot believe the dealer did not notice he had a problem.

Vwguild, thanks for your input.
  • dlastoriadlastoria Member Posts: 4
    I am on the verge of purchasing a Touareg (v8, NAV, Conv Pkg, Winter Pkg, Bi-Xenon). I have read nearly every message in this forum and before I accept delivery of the vehicle I want to make myself a checklist of common problems. This is sort of a last minute self-inspection list. I put this together from other peoples comments and problems. I hope others find it useful, and feel free to add other items I may have missed:

TOUAREG SELF-INSPECTION CHECKLIST

Check for Missing Items:
    ------------------------
    Lighter-Flashlight
    Low Profile center rear headrest
    Glove box shelf (for manual)
    Hatch closing assistance (what is this?)
    Built-in rear sundshades
    Instruction manual for NAV

Possible Damage/Defects or Problems:
    ------------------------------------
    Thoroughly check paint finish for belimishes or touch-up
    Tyre pressure configured and not problematic
    AM Radio functions properly
    FM Radio functions properly
    A/C noise? Make sure A/C works and is not too noisy
    Scratching sound when driving?
    Wavy/distorted glass on front windshield
    Cracks near base of driver's seat
    Thoroughly check interior for blemishes or cracks

Questions:
    ----------
    How to acquire update/upgrade of NAV CDs when available (NAVTech)?
    What type of loaner car is provided if lengthy warranty work is required?

Other:
    ------
    VIN numbers > 24000 are probably less problematic
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    toward the Porsche for several reasons. The first is I have always wanted to own a Porsche but am too old and stiff to fold myself into a 911 or Boxster any more. Secondly I think an "S" Cayenne can be had for a substantial discount In watching the Cayenne boards it appears that $6K off sticker for an "S" is not rare. Next year the Cayenne appears with a VW6 and the cost will be probably even closer to the T-reg V8. Finally IMHO I am a little put off by the general VW dealer's service dept. ability to handle such a sophisticated and complicated vehicle (vwguild's store not withstanding - which I am sure is the exception).
  • lindacaslindacas Member Posts: 5
    Hi All -

I've been reading this discussion with great interest and wondering if others were having the same problems as I am.

My Touareg is in the dealer's service department for the fourth (or fifth - I've lost track) time since I bought it on September 19. This time it's been there since the day after Thanksgiving.

It sounds like many of us are having problems with the remote and the tailgate, although the problems sound different. Here's mine:

1. Tailgate comes open while I'm driving - an alarm sounds and the display shows the tailgate unlocked.

2. When the tailgate has been open, either because I opened it or it just opens spontaneously, closing it doesn't work. You can hear the mechanism working, but the display shows the tailgate open, and indeed, you can lift the tailgate without releasing it. Usually takes five or six tries before it actually closes. In the meantime, the alarm won't engage and I'm standing out in the rain like an idiot, repeatedly closing the tailgate.

3. Opening the tailgate with the remote works occasionally, but not always.

4. Opening the doors with the remote takes several tries.

5. Locking the door with the remote and activating the alarm takes several tries.

6. The CD freezes up while playing.

7. The dual climate control gets stuck and can't be adjusted up or down or turned off. A corollary to this is when it suddenly puts itself into tandem mode and moving the dial on one moves the dial on the other.

Also, when I bought the car, the tire pressure alarm was displaying, and I had to bring it back the first time to take care of that (and install the roof racks). Now I wonder if they did, indeed, fix the tire pressure mechanism or if they just turned it off.

I've also had varied experiences with the loaners they give me. The first one was a crappy old Jetta with no gas in it. I blew up over that because the Touareg also had no gas in it when they let me drive it away. Then they had me rent from Enterprise. The first rental was an automatic that didn't shift gears so I went about two exits on the freeway and brought it back. Then they gave me a minivan for about five days.

They said the problems were fixed, but no. So it's back in the shop again, and this time I have a new 2004 Jetta. What I want though, is my Touareg. Working.

When I pay this much for a car, aside from regularly scheduled service, I don't want to have to see the dealer for at least five years.
    So, having related my tale of woe, what do I do?

How long should I give the dealer to attempt to fix the problem?

Is it unreasonable of me to want these things fixed? Shouldn't I expect them to function correctly?

What recourse do I have for either getting a new car or getting out of this lease deal? Should I call the leasing company and tell them about the problems?

What is Volkswagen's policy for buying back a car and providing a new one?
  • ann50ann50 Member Posts: 4
    Got my Touareg back with its new engine. VW changed it, to the tune of $16K on the warranty, gave a new warranty and offered to exchange the car. Because of the hassle that that would cause I declined but left the offer open in case one more thing happens to it. Everything works fine. At first the CD changer that I installed didn't come on, but after one burst of swearing, it miraculously has been perfect. It really is a wonderful car. In the meantime I have been driving a base level Avalanche, which isn't near as smooth or cool, but the Touareg is still sitting in the garage. Chevy really needs to do a commercial billing the Avalanche as the ultimate shopping machine. they get about the same MPG. The VW dealer in Dallas is willing to deal. I paid about $2500 under invoice, and, including TTL, still paid under sticker. I knew of no problems with the car when I bought it, but made the offer insisting that, though it was a wonderful car, etc, VW doesn't have that great a reliability and this is a new model. In the back of my mind, I was thinking about the $2-3000 of repairs that I have every time the BMW goes in for maintenance. How could it be worse? The BMW still has the original engine, though I have replaced about everything else. I will keep the Touareg until the warranty nears its end, like the BMW, then get rid of it.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I am so sorry that you are experiencing so many problems with your new VW. Have you spoken with the Service Manager or, better yet, the Owner of the Dealership? What is the dealer telling you as to why your car is not fixed yet?

I would be VERY persistant, but nice, with the dealer. You paid allot of $ for your Touareg and deserve to have a 100% working car.

I would ask for a firm date as to when you will get your car back. If you still don't have your car at that point, talk to the regional/district manager in the region of the country you live in. Inquiring about a buy back is an option, but they will have several attempts at fixing your car.

Good luck!
  • bulsarabulsara Member Posts: 21
    Just want to report that my Touareg, was found to have pinhole in the left front Dunlop Gran Trek 17" tire. This is why, it was slowly losing tire pressure. The sensors were therefore working fine and giving me the right info. I also took it into the dealer Park Cites VW who sold me the car. Their service was great and they gave me nice clean T-Reg as a loaner for the day. Hopefully this is the last time I will see them until the 500 mile service.
    Ann5 or anyone who has expericne with putting in a 6 CD changer, to go with the Monsoon in-dash head-unit and has achieved success, please post what you used and where you mounted...i.e., in compartment or outside?

Thanks,
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .for ostensibly unlimited maintenance and repair and always with free loaners is, as the commercial goes, Priceless. Well, not really, but my perception is that other than gas, tires, plates and insurance -- my Audi and my wife's are "FREE."

Now, sure I know that buried in the price of the car is the maintenance. But the psychological sense is, for example, my wiper blades aren't doing the job to my satisfaction, I pull into the dealer and minutes later a new set of wiper blades and even a wash and dry of the whole car if I want to take the time. No charge, no excuses. Just a yes sir and a thank you.

I make an appointment for 20K maint, pull in at 8:30AM, am put into a new A4 3.0 quattro and about 3:00PM the phone rings with the news, the car is ready and I can either have it dropped off, or pick it up myself -- it is cleaned and vacuumed.

I seem to always be getting "little presents" from Audi. An apparently hand signed letter from Len Hunt, thanking me for my biz; a Neiman Marcus charge card with $200 prepaid (finally a pair of Prada shoes for ONLY $120 -- what's the big deal anyway?); a gift certificate from the Audi Collection thanking me for my biz, a box of candy or cookies from the dealer (not really personalized, but "mass customized" since it had my name on it rather than "Dear Audi Owner. . ."); phone calls from the salesman when I'm one year into a three year lease inviting me to a test drive even though he knows I'm out of the market for at least another 15 - 20 months; a "free" Audi ball cap for me and an Audi coffee mug for my wife; a TT stick pin -- for no apparent reason.

The devil is in the details, as I have said many times. OK, I'm not ignorant (I might be stupid, however) -- I know I am paying for this stuff in the price of the cars; but, man o' man it sure feels like they think we are special -- even if it does come from the "Audi Loyalty" machine.

The Phaeton seems to be coming to the US with these kinds of "warm/fuzzy treatments" -- it must cost a lot, and what ever I pay, it FEELS like a freakin' bargain.

So many nits to pick on or about ANY car -- funny, I just can't think of any right now. And, believe me, after 25 Audis, 3 VW's and 1 BMW (and a couple of Dodge Chargers and Chrysler Cordoba's) I have had a bunch of issues -- they are so hard to recall, they (Audi USA and my dealer) just "erases the memory of the problems with very accomodating people, a trinket and a bauble here and there, & Integrity and Sincerity -- too real to be faked."

Methinks VWoA is starting to know that there is a CLUE out there -- until they know for sure there is, where it is and what it means, I will continue to consider -- at this time -- the Phaeton and hope for tomorrow's VW's to be born on a better day (at least in this country). VWGUILD has to be the Poster Child for what its supposed to be like.

Too bad he's way out there and I am way over here.
    What they tell me is that they are in communication - via e-mail - with Volkwagen - about how to fix my car. They say that they want to get it right. Today they say they hope to have it back to me by the end of the week, but I think that's optimistic in view of the fact that everybody at VW appears to be mystified by the tailgate problem.

If anyone else has had this problem, and successfully solved it, I'd surely love to hear from you.
  • touareg1touareg1 Member Posts: 3
    purchased touareg on 10/30 and the vehicle has been in the shop for 17 days. dealer is attempting to fix vehicle, but they have no experience working on them. vw of america couldn't care less. i would wait to buy one until they can work out the kinks
    anyone else experiencing the sound of liquid rushing back and forth under the dash? dealer has attempted to fix it 5 times with no luck. they keep telling me to give them time. how long is reasonable before i get a new vehicle or my money back!!! 17 out of 39 days in shop is ridiculous.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Certainly your car qualifies as a lemon and as such you can return it for your money back. (I am in California. Is that just a state law?) Well if it isn't a federal law and you don't live in California it is possible that your state has a similar law.
    i live in ct...pretty good lemon laws, but what a pain to proceed. the dealer is saying that since the defect isn't dangerous to the vehicle that it doesn't qualify for lemon law. they seem to think they can just keep attempting to repair while i drive a beetle conv. in the 16" of snow we received.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Look up the "Lemon Law" for your respective state. Most have provisions for the number of times in for the same problem and/or consecutive days out of service. They are not just safety oriented. They were enacted to protect the consumer.

Cheers
    Pat
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    The dealer called to say the Toureg keyless lock mystery has been solved. One of the transmitters was bad causing a problem with the codes, or so they claim. Anyway. I went over there and they gave me the car to take home. I must have tried the locks a hundred times from all angles and distances. The locks now work fine as does the AM side of the radio (it was not bad but I had read stories on here).

Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm in California, also. I just Googled "california lemon law" and one of the results was this description from the office of the State Attorney General:
    http://caag.state.ca.us/consumers/general/lemon.htm

I don't think it qualifies quite yet. But when I talked to the service manager today I said, "If you can't fix it, you will be giving me a new car, right?" He said that I would have to talk to the owner of the dealership for that, but if it was his dealership he'd say, "What color did you want?"

Also, just for general interest to those living in California, this page not only contains links to descriptions of the Lemon Law, but also Lemon Law attorneys:

http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/CA_lemonlaw.html
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    I've been trying to decide between the V6 Touareg and the Infiniti FX35. The Touareg is fabulous but I just can't stand to be bringing back a new car for service. (I'm going crazy over my Volvo!!) So I guess it'll be an FX. It's too bad... I really loved that adjustable air suspension.
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but...Audi sales for November were 7107 units v. VW's 28,957..YTD:
    77,337 v. 284,656. If you take the last three years into account, '00, '01, '02 we have over 1,000,000,000 cars on the road burning gas v. 250,000...

Not too difficult to see why the level of service might be a bit different...And because of the price point & significantly low unit sales Phaeton customers will receive the same high level of service you do, probably higher; they will not even have to bring their cars in for Service...we will go to them with a replacement Phaeton...And then return theirs when done...Kind of like the difference one experiences when buying Ralph Lauren in Nordstrom v. a Purple Label suit from the RL Flagship Store on Madison Ave. in NYC...

Upscale VW stores will also be there with a full fleet of Touareg
    Service Loaners and quality service as well.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    'I will keep the Touareg until the warranty nears its end, like the BMW, then get rid of it.'

ann50, that is EXACTLY what VW wants you do to! They are in the business of selling NEW vehicles. Too bad they can't build a vehicle that actually lasts past the warranty. American cars are the same way, completely disposable, throw them away after 3,4 or 5 years and buy another. Keeps the car companies in business. Personally, if they tried to put a new engine in my newly built factory sealed engine compartment, I would have throw a fit and demanded my money back, or a brand new vehicle.
    . . .I certainly don't want to get into an argument and I am not going to look up sales figures to support my theory. However, doesn't Lexus also sell a "bunch" of cars (more than Audi); doesn't Mercedes (and BMW also) sell more cars than Audi? There are two Audi dealerships in Cincinnati and two BMW dealerships. There are, at least 2 Volvo dealerships. Cincinnati is a Big Town, or small/mid size city. We must have at least a half dozen, or perhaps as many as 10 (if you count N. Ky and E. Indiana) in our SMSA of 1.5+ million people -- I just can't buy the excuse that it is a numbers issue.

If, the "nominal" expected service costs were "built into" a new Jetta or Passat or Touareg even are you saying that people would get more oil changes? More whatevers? Are you saying people would or do risk voiding their warranties because the 10,000 mile oil and filter changes are on a "pay as you go basis?"

If a new Audi A4 is purchased for $30K and a new Passat is purhcased for $30K, the Audi will get "everything" for free for 50,000 miles (excluding tires, plates and insurance, of course). But, I can't get a "free" oil change every 3,000 miles just because I want one. I go every 7,500 miles which means in 30,000 miles I will have had 3 "free" oil changes and paid for 1. Let's say that the oil changes have a cost of $75 (at the dealer and that that price is what the customer would pay) at either Audi or VW. If the maintenance costs were included in the MSRP of this Passat, I assume it could raise the sticker of the car by 5% or 6%.

I understand the numbers you cited -- but let me tell you that the VW dealers here in Cincinnati are much larger physically than the two Audi dealerships (one Audi dealership is a "dual" -- both Audi and Volvo are SERVICED (not sold) in the same building. The other Audi dealership is Audi and Porsche.) Most of the VW dealerships (all that I can recall personally visiting, in fact) are 100% VW and are about 1/3 to 1/2 again as large as the Audi dealerships. The effective work space (at the VW dealerships), considering single purpose use is about double the size of that for the Audi -- and there are at least 3 times as many dealerships.

The issue seems to me to be one of customer satisfaction -- sure people don't want their cars to NEED maintenance or repair; but, they know that they will. The thing that seems to "bother" so many people is the $50 here and the $225 there and the $80 wiper blades and $15 for the key fob battery. Take the costs -- after the sale -- out of the equation and people consider re-buying the brand.

I read with some (a little bit) envy those who brag about their Japanese cars reliability. And, we would probably all admit that European cars have not yet attained this kind of reputation for reliability (remember perception is reality).

In the absence of LEGENDARY reliability (said in hushed tones), Audi, BMW and Mercedes (to name but 3) include the costs of maintenance up front. Every time I take my car in is an inconvenience, but everything possible is done by Audi -- for example -- to minimize this and there is no added insult of a bill when I pick the car up.

My perception is that my Audi is trouble free -- yet even as I type this, I know that it is not literally "trouble free."

VW's have had their issues recently, but they are great cars, high value cars and few Japanese cars have earned the "Driver's Car" reputation that is often cited as "the joy of driving" that goes with VW's. Yet, the customers bellyache (with good reason) about quality problems and high maintenance costs -- I feel for the guy who can't find windshield wipers anywhere but at his VW dealer and has to pay $80 for a set of them. Let him have them for free (prepaid as noted above) and I contend that he/she will be more likely to purchase subsequent VW's because the perception of reliability and low cost ownership will be enhanced.

I said it before, this is not a substitute for actually improving the quality and reliability -- but work on that AND include the maintenance and you will ultimately increase your repeat buyers. Recently, I attended a seminar that claimed that it costs 5 times as much to get a new customer than it does to keep a customer (the bottom line was "it is "less expensive" to keep current customers than to acquire new ones.)
  • jrynjryn Member Posts: 18
    I owned a "pre-free service" MB and a "post-free service" MB.

I don't put heavy miles on my cars (@6-8,000 per year). When I was paying for service, the dealership wanted me in every 6 months or 5,000 miles for oil changes. When service was "free," MB only wanted me in when the onboard service interval indicator would light up every 12,000 miles or 24 months.

That meant, basically, that over the 4 year "free service" period, MB would only perform one Service Level A and one Service Level B (basically glorified oil changes and checkups).

When I bought the "free service" car, I had not realized that MB strictly enforced it's "service indicator light on" requirement. When I started getting antsy about going 14 months and 8,000 miles between service visits, I brought the car in and was turned away! The dealership claimed that between 1997 and 2001 (the model years of my cars), MB had so improved its product that it could go 2X (5,000-12,000 miles) to 4X (6 months-24 months) as long between services.

2X to 4X better in 4 years? Yeah, right. (Check out the C and ML class threads).

What changed were dealer incentives. With "customer pays," they made money getting cars in as often as possible. With "MB pays," they make money keeping cars out.

So, I wish you good luck if you think you can drive in and get, for example, your wiper blades replaced because you think they're a little streaky. In my experience, the dealers aren't writing blank checks, and "free service" doesn't mean service whenever you want it.

So, especially for people who drive light miles and will have the time limit on "free service" arrive before the mileage limit, free service doesn't turn out to be so valuable, if the car is basically solid.

If there's real value to "free service," I think it comes in the incremental peace of mind it promotes for purchasers about "total cost of ownership." Especially for buyers stretching to buy, knowing that one $40,000 check covers the first four years and that there won't be any $2,000 "unexpected" repair bills when some major system fails, is a useful marketing tool. So, I'm not particularly surprised that it's the European lux brands (like MB, BMW, Audi, Volvo) that have reliability issues that offer "free service" while the Japanese lux brands (like Lexus and Acura) that are generally bullet-proof don't offer "free service."
  • suavechavosuavechavo Member Posts: 39
    haven't changed since the late 80s early 90s. I had the same problems w/ the VWs and Audis I owned in the past.

I remember sitting in those damn service depts waiting for repairs all morning long, when I should have been in class. It seemed that the VW dealers were the worse with their service. With my Audis, the Audi/Porsche store next door was okay in terms of service, but when the Audi store moved next door w/ the VW store, Audi service became the pits. It got to the point were I could only work w/ the head Audi service mgr because the VW counter dudes wanted me to pay for repairs that were clearly warranty items. And I remember once that the service mgr. even told me that he thought my car was a lemon, even though the problems were repairable. I guess he was tired of seeing me at the dealership. Believe me, the feeling was mutual.

However, I loved those cars and sometimes I even regret selling them. VW and Audis are just so appealing. And after all I went thru w/ their crappy service depts. and unprofessional VW phone service people, I'm almost tempted to buy another. Almost...
    MTD/11/03 & YTD...

BMW:17,991**184,090
    Lexus:10,657**114,182
    MBZ:15,678**168,894
    Infiniti:6,143**78,997
    Volvo:6,039**75,680
    Jag:4,037**50,217

Audi:7,107**77,337

VW:26,046**267,728

Having ready access...These numbers speak for themselves...It should also be mentioned that VW/Audi have always tried to keep some points of differentiation between the brands...HP comes to mind, rear seat room A4 v. Passat, etc.

Price point has always been a critical issue in Auburn Hills as well...I remember all of the heat about the W8 not having a NAV System...Price point was critical to the decision to leave it out, although with the total lack of Corporate support for that product, in retrospect, it hardly seems to matter...

The Phaeton does carry a "Phaeton Protection Plus" component in the Warranty Pkg. AND...It is with the same normal Service intervals...5K or 6 Months whichever comes first. It runs the same length as the New Vehicle Warranty: 48Months/50,000Miles. And this, of course, goes back to CSI issues...Full Maintenance is Warrantied, and Warranty repairs are scored, and the scoring requires a phone follow up from ISKY(The Survey People). To provide Full Maintenance across all carlines just simply becomes too expensive.
  • rower2rower2 Member Posts: 22
    I've had my problems with the Toureg but it doesn't stop me from absolutely loving it. If you are thinking of one, wait till 2005 or try to get a good deal on one now because they aren't moving and good deals are to be had. Last week in the snow, I decided to take the back roads home because everybody was clogging up the highways. I had it in low the whole time and I couldn't believe how good the ride was. I've had the Tahoe and the Trooper and there is no comparison on the handling in the snow. Don't let a couple bad posts put you off the truck, its still a good deal for the price. I also worked out a deal with my dealer that I get a 4 wheel drive loaner every time my car has to go in. I've had no problems since they fixed the Tyre pressure problem.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Any other comments on snow driving? I just reviewed a Cayenne forum and saw nothing but complaints about the handling of the car in snow. Many people said it was the tires that had to be rated for 165mph and were bad for snow. Can you drive all season M&S tires and get reasonable performance on the snow and off in a Touareg? I have been thinking of getting a Touareg, or if I hit the lottery a Cayenne, to replace my AWD RX 300 sacrificing mileage and reliability for what I thought would be better snow performance but now am not so sure.
    The particular vehicle I am looking at purchasing has a very low VIN number (if I'm reading it correctly). I am making the assumption that this is one of the first production units and thus probably doesn't have some of the kinks worked out. Should I keep looking for a more recently manufacturered vehicle? Or is it just the luck of the draw?

Here is the VIN number:
    WVGCC67L94D000774

Thanks in advance. This is a huge purchase for me, and I want to be sure about it. I am even willing to wait for 2005 model. When are those expected to start shipping?
    have to wait a year for a 2005...

Look for a unit with a higher VIN: 20664> these have the small center rear headrest...at least that is the first number that I delivered that was so equipped...
    Wow MB turned people away? Now, I don't know what my dealer gets paid for an oil change from Audi of America -- perhaps it is more when I buy one. Now, at the Audi store, there are very few Audis (this is NOT scientific) that go back more than 5 years.

By this I mean, when I pull into the dealer and look in the bays and look at the line of cars there for service, there are virtually no cars in line that are prior to 1998 or 1999 vintage.

This perhaps goes to the point that once the "free service" period is over that the customers with the 1996 A6's don't get them serviced at the Audi store (due in part, one has to imagine, to price).

Since this dealership is also a Porsche dealership, it would appear that the overwhelming majority (80%+) of the work that the dealer performs is "free" (to the customer) work. My buddy -- the service manager -- says that for work they do there is a formula that they go by: it appears that "X" function is allowed "Y" hours, misc charge and perhaps some other billable component. So, the shop rate is posted @ $75/hour. The $39.95 oil change + filter that a non-Audi advantaged customer pays (that is the posted price, which usually nets out to be $50) is allocated an allowable "consumable's charge and .25 hours labor rate. I assume they make money from the Audi advantage service and the Porsche service. And, I have never been turned away when I have asked for wiper blades, a car wash, tires inflated or even a four wheel alignment.

I don't ask for wiper blades every Tuesday, mind you, but I probably get 3 sets annually -- I dunno what they would do if I stopped asking; perhaps they would NEVER change them.

My wife's new front and rear liscense plates came in the mail yesterday -- one day for lunch she will go to the dealer and they will replace the old plates with the new.

And, the comment from above: "If there's real value to "free service," I think it comes in the incremental peace of mind it promotes for purchasers about "total cost of ownership," just about says it all -- and is exactly my point.

Just like we keep reading, the DEALER really has great influence in the total experience -- my dealer, somewhat like VWGUILD, must do things the way that they're SUPPOSED to be done.

One more point, I sent a large Harry & David fruit basket to the Service Department at my Audi dealer today -- and a smaller one to my salesperson who sold me my last 15 Audis. Perhaps our treatment is a couple of notches higher because we genuinely appreciate that they have difficult jobs to do; we let them know we know it and we take the moment or two and the extra buck or two to sustain and strengthen the relationship.

They know where their bread is buttered and by whom is the feeling my wife and I get.

This Phaeton level service and the Audi Advantage may be a direct result of what was said earlier, that the European cars ARE NOT AS RELIABLE as similar class Japanese cars. I did think, however, that service came with the deal @ Lexus and Infinity -- I could be wrong.

None of the points made or conceded convinces me that "free service" for 50K plus a 50K bumper-to-bumper warranty is anything but a sound practice for those that do it and would be for VW across the board.

My buddy bought the new X5 even though he loved the Touareg for the reason that he knew there would be no maintenance issues (that is, no $80 wiper blades, no charge oil changes, etc.) VW lost what would have happened had they had the VW advantage.

Despite their success, as noted by Peter in his sheer volume of sales list above, VW surely would love to have even more sales and would also love to have repeat buyers.

And, stop calling me Shirley.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    No kidding. Just like what the other poster mentioned. For MB, free service is a joke. Oil change is only based on indicator light. Light driving will result in 1 oil change, if that, in a year. It is not your choice but MB's.

I have to say that no matter how long you wait for the next year or subsequent year t-reg. Believe me, these same nagging problem will still be around. Speaking from experience. Same with MB and BMW. No permanent fixes until the next redesign in approximately 8 years.

I was looking at buying the t-reg, but may settle for something else....I will give it some time before deciding. Japanese vs. German. I am leaning toward Japanese at this time. Reliability is a big issue for me. All cars have problems. It is the manufacture's decision to address the problems head on or string you along.
    Is that what you're saying then, vwguild? If that's the case I might have to risk it with a 2004. I'll take your advice and look for a more recently manufactured one though. Any other tips or warning signs to consider when inspecting my vehicle before purchase?
    Still waiting to hear from the dealer. Seven days in the shop and counting.

vwguild, if I ask them to print out the service record on this car so that I can document the number of times I've brought it in, and the number of days it's been in the shop, are they obligated to provide that information?

What are the magic words to say if I want them to start thinking about replacing the car?

Thanks!
    not exactly 12 months...But you will at least be looking at Q4...

The most important thing that I would suggest is to pick up your new Touareg during the day...Everything else is covered under your New Vehicle Warranty but the Paint & Interior...Make sure there are no scratches in the paint and that no one sat on seats with keys attached to a belt loop...It is very awkward dealing with things like this once you have left the store and discover them the next day when you get in after breakfast...

I advise the same scrutiny when dropping any car off for a Service visit...
    First of all the 'Tonight Show' bracelet is great!!! Will be in touch about items for my wife...But we can talk about that later...

I don't know if you are going to McNevin or B'Way, but go to the other...

The Remote issue is systemic...But there is a fix that you can do with the MFI yourself...I'll
    email about that...The other things are Service related issues...They are not product based...just incompetance by the Techs. Commonly called "Fix it Right" which is short for fix it right the first time...This theme follows thru with the Service Loaner you received...

Don't expect Lemon Laws to cover a bad Service Dept.

Email me about further suggestions...
  • snowmasssnowmass Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2004 Touareg with the V-8. So, far we are very pleased with car and the handling here in the snows or the Cascades. We purchased the car from a dealer in Burlington WA and the salesman was very knowledgeable, helpfull and professional. We test drove two different models with V-6 and V-8 and choose the V-8 for the obvious increase in permformance. So far we are pleased with the purchase. The dealership did have the sticker price way over the suggested price, but we purchased below the suggested price. One of the better car buying experiences on my list. We will see how the service dept holds up, but so far the dealer has been great. This is the second VW we have owned with a new bettle the other purchase from same dealer.
    Again...Does anyone here have any experience with adding on a 6CD changer to the Monsoon head unit. Where did you get it, how much, name and where did you fit in in ? Did trunk space harness connector fit?

Thanks,

Bulsara
    The System in the Touareg is Blaupunkt...There should be a connecting cable behind the right hand storage area opening in the tailgate...
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have been to a few dealers browsing. I haven't seen any with the rear locker option? It probably isn't a popular option so maybe they are only making those on order?
    is readily available...Another store or two will provide what you seek...:)
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Thanks. I am just browsing. I really like the concept and am a huge SUV/Offroad fan. I might even consider buying one, except I am not a big fan of VW and its overal quality in general. Concepts they are great, I think in execution/implementation they have a way to come.
  • pabloppablop Member Posts: 3
    Your point about paint and interior is interesting, because my selling dealer told me VW does warranty its paint. I haven't read the warranty, except to notice there is some mention of rust, but nothing about fading paint.

In the old days, silver faded badly. I'm told by body shops and dealers that the new paints are better. What is your experience with the VW silver?

Now, another topic. I've seen you post sales figures from time to time. It seems like Volvo sells a lot fewer cars than VW, but do you have the figures for XC-90's and Touaregs? In one month, I've seen two Touaregs on the road in a wide area. But in my suburban town, I see another new Volvo XC-90 every day. It seems like there's one on every block now.

Volvo must be giving some incentives to move them, and doing a good job of advertising safety. My well-respected and well-established independent Swedish car mechanic advised me to get the VW, even though he knew I would take the Volvo to him for service. Says the larger platform late model Volvos have been troublesome.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    There are no incentives on the XC90. You can look that up here on Edmunds. I have to agree that the Touareg seems scarce. I've only seen one on the road here. My dealer says they are "a hot selling item"; but I don't see his inventory changing at all, over a several week period.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • nwrollernwroller Member Posts: 24
    How much under MSRP did you get your ride for?

Thanks.
  • samphoebe1samphoebe1 Member Posts: 13
    I always wear my seat belt and I am truly loving my new Touareg but I want to be able to turn off the alarm that sounds if I am sitting in my car with the seat belt not attached. Anybody know how to turn it off? Thanks.
  • 243243 Member Posts: 6
    I had a problem with the rear hatch (door) not closing all the way. The one night it was left open (after I closed a few times) and it drained the battery. I put the key in to start (the next morning) but since it didn't have power it locked my key in the ignition. There was no manual override for the rear door so I had to crawl over the seats to get my jumper cables. Tow truck driver couldn't find the battery but we finally figured it out. In summary .. make sure the rear hatch closes properly. It doesn't show up well on dashboard indicator.
    All VWs, except EuroVans, carry a 12 Year/Unlimited Mileage Outer Body Rust thru & Corrosion Warranty...I have not seen problems with Silver for quite some time now...My point was directed more toward scratches in the paint, rather than bad paint...

As to numbers, I can only say that the V8s are far and away the most popular and fully equipped at that, and these are much harder to come by...
    In addition we have only had real inventories since the beginning of Q4...
  • spockcatspockcat Member Posts: 100
    Yes, I can tell you how to do this. Best would be that you email me (click on my name above). It is too complicated to explain on this discussion board.

I can also tell you how to wire an MP3 player, XM radio or cell phone into your Touareg radio.