Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• elemintelemint Member Posts: 79
    Bottom like is the more options you put on the car the more the dealer and the manufacturer will make off you. Do you think it cost $5k more to manufacture a v8 over a v6? No way. I consider cars to be nothing more than a tool. No need for a $50 hammer when a $5 one will do the job. I do like a nice tool but am baffled by excess, but i guess thats what the car business thrives on. One more thing, I am harder on cars than 99.9% of drivers. That being said i have gone more places around the world with crappy front wheel drives and have rarely had serious problems, ie logging roads etc. After all the worst car on the road today is better than the best car 50 years ago and the roads were worse. Just something to remember. Good Luck and dont be an emotional buyer.....
  • ace234ace234 Member Posts: 2
    Really like the power of the V8 after having an under powered Blazer. Sure hope I can get used to the jumpy gas pedal on take off. Lots of electronic stuff to get used to. Never had such a detailed and "fat" owners manual.
  • todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    I am in total agreement with jd1318 on his analysis of the Touareg V8 engine. I would not have purchased the T-reg without the V8. the truck with a six is a real dog. I barely had enough power in the V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I just moved up from. The V8 is really smooth although,it too, could use a little more torque.Every thing else on the T-reg is working just fine,especially those rain sensitive wipers!!
    Its all in your head, unless you are pulling a large boat. Millions of people in europe are driving cars with engines smaller than 1 liter and they drive faster than here. Tje fact that v8's still even exist is beyond me.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    That is why Honda Civic's and Corolla's are made. For people that think of cars as appliances and nothing more. From the invention of the automobile, people have made car purchases based on emotion. Making a car purchase soley on emotion is never a good idea. But, to say "don't be an emotional buyer" is a totally foreign concept to me. Most of the participants on this board LOVE cars for many reasons. One of them being the emotional feeling one gets from buying and driving the car that "fits" them best.

Again, those who don't view cars as extensions of themselves and look at a Porsche or Ferrari and shake their heads in disbelief tend to drive Camry's or Civics. These are "nice" cars, but tend to lack passion and emotion.

Enjoy your ride in whatever you drive...
  • jd1318jd1318 Member Posts: 7
    i was far from being an emotional buyer. when i went shopping for my current vehicle i had a specific list of what i wanted. i wanted a mid size suv. it had to have a v8, all or 4 wheel drive, independent rear suspension for good ride quality, leather, sunroof, xenon headlights, decent rear seat and cargo space, and a good tow rating. my only other requirement is i didn't want to spend much more than $40k.

the only vehicle made on the planet that has all that for anything close to $40k is the treg. it's about $10k cheaper than any comparably equipped vehicle and nothing else has near the towing capacity.

my treg is not loaded with options. it has a v8, xenons, and sound system 1. everything else on my list of wants was either standard or came in the v8 package. i paid $39715, just what i was looking for.

and again it's not $5k for just a v8. the premium package on the v6 which gives you all the interior upgrades that are on the v8 like leather, 12 way power lumbar seats, wood trim, heated+folding mirrors, etc costs $2300. if you allow just $700 for the 18" wheels and tire upgrade, which are not an option on the v6, that means they are really only charging about $2k for that audi engine. and yes i do think it might cost around $2k more for them to produce that v8 over the v6.

if i have to spend a couple hours a day in a vehicle for the rest of my life. it's worth it to me to buy vehicles that will improve my quality of life, not appliances that would drag it down.

i respect your position about you choice of transportation, and hope i helped you to understand and respect mine.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Perhaps VW's are tools -- to someone. But even the least expensive Touareg is, for most of us, not a tool, or at least not first and foremost a tool.

I read and participate is several of these town halls, and while everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, I must -- while respecting your right to your opinion -- suggest that folks who participate in these Internet discussions are generlaly quite passionate about their cars. Indeed, even the folks who are driving far more pedestrian cars consider them a source of fun, pride perhaps, lust in some cases and, yes, transportation.

The V8 Touareg is, by virtually any measure, appropriately priced over the the V6 -- and by some measures it is a steal. You, sometimes, get what you pay for.

Some folks here disagree [with me] but overall, I find VW builds cars that are bargains (and that includes the Phaeton and Touareg and Passat W8.) I know there are dealer and quality control issues that are repeated here often. I do not disagree with these folks.

I do, however, believe that VW engineers mostly great cars and they are worth what they ask for them!
  • spockcatspockcat Member Posts: 100
    If you do not believe me check out this Euro price comparison I found on a German language forum:
    Looks like one can get a v6 for about $33k and from what i see a v8 is $40k. That is the bottom line... If they did not MAKE you buy leather etc maybe the v8 would be about $36 but that is the trick, they want you to feel the v8 is a premium so you pay for it. Sort of like dealer installed options. Dont take any of this personal, i just dont like "marketing games". BTW i was looking to see what it would cost to replace the tires on the touareg. I could only find 2 tires that would work and they were $200 each for low quality tires!!! Why did vw go non-standard??? Anyone thinking of changing wheels to get around this to get better/lower cost tires?
    First the easy part: The V8 Touareg uses 255/55 R18 tires. Tirerack has some for $98 each. The V6 uses 255/60 R17 tires. Tirerack has some for $121 each.

As for leather coming standard in the V8, most people who spend nearly $40k for a vehicle want leather. Considering that the car is made in Europe and the delivery time is much longer than a US made car, it makes little sense to basically double the inventory requirements of V8 models by giving the buyer the choice of leather or vinyl.
  • roweerowee Member Posts: 21
    Thanks to spockcat we can all see very clearly that my argument against American consumer opting for the V-6 was right all along. European price charts (ms g.#1687) support the concept that buying the v-6 in the u. s. is a financed mistake.
    The T-reg v-6 is very sluggish with torque well below the minimum required. American consumer will pay for the v-8 as much as we pay for the v-6. So why would the u. s. market even consider the v-6 as an option?
    And for diesel lovers; my advice is wait for the super car; THE V-10(and you will be paying the price of a European V-8)
    . . .here it comes: overpriced -- relative to the content of the V8, the V6 is 1 mpg better in gas milage and, well, frankly a false economy.

I can hardly wait for the cries for my head after saying this; but, so long as you know that I am only "mostly" serious and I find neither fault nor have predjudice if you decided to go that way.

It just seems to me that you get so much more with the V8 version. My friend, who just bought a new X5 3.0 (which was just south of $50K and didn't even have sat nav) looked at the Touareg and claims he would've bought the V8 version if it wasn't a first year model and if it had come with "free" maintenance like the bimmer.

A 6 cylinder X5 for the price of the V8 Touareg. . .indeed he said it was his favorite and the "dealer and first year scare" actually kept him from buying.

Ok, now tell me why the V8 isn't the better value, as I contend.

I grant the V6 is lower price and that may make "affordability" the issue you will discuss -- but, assuming you have the wherewithall to acquire the V8, why -- other than the lower cash outlay -- would you not go for the "bargain" version (the V8).

Bring on your counterpoints, ladies and gentlemen.
    That "free" maintenance your friend got on his X5 wasn't free. He paid for it upfront in the price of the car. After 10k miles I have put out under $200 for maintenance for my V8 Touareg. That is two complete oil changes with 8 quarts of Mobil 1 each time, topped up fluids, a general inspection and a tire rotation.
    Previous participants stress mpg, equipment etc. and those are good valid reasons to stay away from the v-6(in Europe consumers who made a v-6 purchase are trying to get the v-8 instead)but the factor to be most considered when buying a car is the power(not neccesary the size) of the Engine. The v-6, while performing excellent on ather VW cars(Passat, Golf) sucks on the T-Reg. So that factor on its own should keep potential buyers, in any market,away from it.(The Europeans go for the 2.5TDI or the V-8)
    I think that Europeans choose their cars based on tax reasons. Either high fuel tax forcing them to buy something with lower consumption or high tax based on engine size or power. Different countries tax vehicles in different manners. Taxes in the US do not change based on engine size or power. They pretty much go based on the value of the car. Fuels taxes are also quite low compared to European countries. So buying a V8 touareg versus a V6 Touareg makes little difference in the taxes or fuel consumption. It is just the cost of the engine and the added options VW puts in the V8.
  • mmee1mmee1 Member Posts: 19
    Didn't need it. With all due respect to the eloquent argument in #1693 "The V6..sucks..", I didn't spend an extra (insert your thousands of dollars here) because I didn't need it. The V6 comfortably cruises up to 7000 ft at 10 to 20 mph above the speed limit (about my personal limit) just fine. I'm not pulling a Gulf stream, I'm not entering the Baja with it, and I'm not looking impress my neighbors with "top of the line". Why would I buy more than I need? Because it's a "deal"? I'll spend my "deal" on a new plasma. Now that I do need.

BTW, the V8 comes with 18" inch wheels which Consumer Reports (Jan, 04) tested as having a 15% drop off in on snow performance over the 17". I didn't need that either.
    I agree with you. Besides as far as i know the v6 has a history to back it up. I dont thing the V8 does. I remember when my friend was telling me how he was smart to get the 3.8 liter over the 3.0 in his ford tauras. Well the "HOT" 3.8 SHO turned out to be one of the worst engines ford ever made. Buyer beware...
  • todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    IF mr elemint in post #1696 had done just a little homework,he would know that the V8 engine is a proven and well tested engine that has been,in a nearly identical form, in the Audi A8 luxury sedan for several years. That being said, if he is happy with less power,etc,good for him! Just leaves more of the V8s for those of us who demand more!
    I bought my first 4.2 V8 equipped car in 1996, in a brand new 1997 Audi A8, since then I have enjoyed the 4.2 engine in a 2000 Audi A6 and a 2001 A6 sport. This engine is makes the sweeeetest sounds of any car engine I have ever owned.

There is nothing wrong with the V6 -- some people have decried its lack of power (compared to the V8 and the diesel), but I don't recall it being accused of a lack of refinement. Other valid observations include its thirsty ways, again when compared with the (US only) only other option we have, again the V8.

My comments pertain to content for $$. They are, in that respect, price independent. The only reason to choose the V6, then, is price or monthly payment. I can only wonder if the V6 and the V8 had the same price, if anyone would still choose the V6 (considering the two engines are only 1 mpg apart).

To say that you don't want a V8 is a fair comment and certainly doesn't make one a bad person or ill-informed or nuts in any way. But, I suspect the main reason for the V6's even being offered in the US is to make sure there was a "low priced" offering.

The fact that apparently some folks find them unsatisfying and that others, like me, find them (the V6's that is) to be "less for the money" and that still others simply say the V6 is the right price probably confirms the wisdom of VW's decision to bring these two to market.

Simply put, it would stick in my craw that I didn't get as good of a deal or as high a value for my bucks if I purchased the V6 over the V8.

To each his/her own.

Please, only those who would buy the V6 over the V8 -- if they were priced the same -- need respond (to this point of view). I already understand the point of view of those who for whatever reason chose lower price over higher price (and, IMHO, higher value.)
  • mmee1mmee1 Member Posts: 19
    I don't get it. "buy the V6 over the V8 --if they were priced the same"? They are not. I'd buy a Ferrari over the Touareg-- if they were priced the same.

I'm only saying the V6 meets my needs. I'm sure the 8 is great. Someone who "demands more" should definitely put a few extra thousand into their Touareg. They will love that one too.

I bought the 6. It does everything I need it to do. For me, why would I pay for something I don't need? I'll put the money I save in Ebay stock and see if I can create some "higher value" that way.
    . . .was that you bought what you bought because of price not value. This is, no matter how it may seem not a bad reason.

Are you saying that you would have still bought the V6 if the V8 had the same price?

If that would be the case, then that means that the V6 was purchased because it met your needs and without price consideration. If, however, you would have rather had the V8 and bought the V6 because it was less, well, then VW did indeed make the correct decision.

Sometimes auto manufacturers will make a base model of a vehicle in part for marketing reasons--for example, "from $35,995" may encourage potential buyers into the showroom where often they upsell themselves into the more typical version which is $42,995.

I am not suggesting that VW is guilty of the old bait and switch routine that washer and dryer retailers were so fond of doing. I am saying that the V6 was perhaps brought to market to gain market share. And, perhaps it contains more profit (margin, if not dollars) which means for them it was smart.

Some of us just think the V8 is "less money" than the V6 if you factor in "what you get for your dollar" over the absolute selling price.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    some people buy for price and need, some people buy for value, more bang for buck.

still some buy with a definite goal in mind.

Porsche now has 3 cayennes, a V6, V8 , and V8 turbo. To each his own........t'reg/cay are all class busting good. All offer enough power for everyday driving....

we are all blessed .... :-)
    I was with the Audi AG / Audi Car Club of NA liason in Ingolstadt, and I was given a ride in his "personal" (factory official) car -- a rather odd, S6. As I recall the car was, by US standards, a "strippie" -- front power windows only, no sunroof, no carbon fiber or wood in-dash trim, etc. It was kind of like the completely stripped down Porches that used to be offered. It had the guts of the S6, but it was taxi-cab plain other than that.

I remarked especially about the lack of the sunroof.

He told me that although he did get two new cars per year from Audi as an Audi "executive" that he still had to have money deducted from his paycheck and that the sun roof was about 4,000 Euros -- he said he thought it would cost the equivalent of $4,500 US dollars.

While walking around in Berlin, Zurich and Munich, I would wonder into Audi dealerships and glance at the sticker prices. What we consider a more or less entry level A4 1.8T (somewhere between $28K and $32K) costs -- with apologies for the conversion -- well over $40,000 USD. A Passat in London, and NOT a GLX 4Motion with V6 was about 30,000 pounds (also about $43,000 ~ with some fuzzy conversion of pounds to dollars). A $30,000 dollar Passat is pretty much near the top of the line in the US (excluding the W8).

The German remarked that he could get a car in the US, ship it back to Germany for less money than he can get one in his home country.

The cars we get are usually near the top of the line -- and those are the base models. When I first saw how many engines there were "below" the 1.8T, and then rented a 1.4 (non-turbo), I was certainly educated about the bargains these cars are here (with some mitigation of this fact curretnly due to the fact that the dollar and the Euro are now upside down, in favor of the Euro).

I don't know if it is "legal" but if you were to purchase your new Audi or VW in Europe once they reinstate the ED program, and just kept it there, it would be a heck of a lot less money than buying one in Germany as the German citizens have to do.

I assume if you left it in Europe the VAT tax and other expenses would come into play and the advantage would be lost. Of course, I guess it would be possible to buy your car in the US and transport it to Europe, which is what some folks certainly must do when they are transfered from the US to Eurpoe by their global companies.

Anyway the point is, we get for the most part, near top of the line German cars for less than the Natives pay for them in their own country.
    `and enhances the advice given here for all potential T-reg buyers to stay away from the v-6 version. This, to my opinion, has less to do with value for money, and more to do with the fact that the v-6 engine is not suitable for this suv(performs very well on other vw models!)
    I dont expect a V-6 owner to come out and admit he made the wrong choice. by
     now he got used to the fact that the car is "under torqued",some in Europe are upgrading to the V-8 or the 2.5TDI. So for those of you who are contemplating which version to buy, read again all previous discussion on value for money etc. but take in consideration the most important factor when buying a car; IT HAS TO MOVE!
    That is flat out wrong. It is the transmission that is what it is all about. The best off road vehicles have 4 and 6 cylinders, Land rovers and unimogs... Why do you keep saying people are "upgrading" to the v8??? That is an insane statement. First of there is no way to prove that, second it is just foolish. If you know of one person selling a used v6 let me know and i will buy it.
  • sedwards41255sedwards41255 Member Posts: 17
    The V6 has more than enough power for me and once over about 50 mph, it simply hums and seems to get even faster, smoother and more responsive. I chose the V6 because quite honestly, it was all the power I wanted to handle behind the wheel. I will probably never take this vehicle anywhere other than the highways, back roads and maybe a short mountain or two......I am stopped everyday by people wanting to know what it is and have even gotten phones calls at night from "people" who have seen me driving it. For now, I have the only one in this very small city of 10,000 people. Evidently, the lines on this vehicle appeal to "all"....(and I thought it was just me!!)
  • bulsarabulsara Member Posts: 21
    Guys, Guys! You have all turned this thing into a useless "class-war".

Yes, there are people, who want a T-Reg, but can only afford a V6. Don't make them feel like poor cousins...or bad.

Yes, there are people, who need no more than the V6. Don't make them feel they made a bad choice.

I have owned sedans of much less body weight - a V8 Merc with 280HP, an Infiniti with 260HP, and and Pathfinder with 240 HP...and yes don't lecture me on torque...fork whatever.

I own a T-Reg V6 now and am EXTREMELY HAPPY with it. When I want the extra power, I just put it in "S" and ZOOM ! I also use the Tiptronic shift to move off rapidly when I need to.

So, the V6 is GREAT FOR ME and I'm HAPPY!

Cy
    . . . got a bad car, some feel it is underpowered, some "OK powered," some plenty powered and some, now, think any issues with the V6 version are or could be attributed to the transmission.

Those of us who are "in favor" of the V8 seem to have one common theme -- "content for dollars."

The V6 Touareg seems to be more expensive condering the content of the vehicle.

This has nothing to do with class or ability to afford something. Within limits, most of us -- at least who acquire $35,000+ cars -- could probably aquire a $70,000 vehicle. But we choose NOT to because of opportunity cost.

I have no interest in suggesting that the V6 Touareg owners have made a mistake (and I do understand there are those who do feel it is a mistake). My interests lie in urging those who are on the fence between the V6 and V8 to look at the value proposition in addition to the monthly lease payment.
  • brundogbrundog Member Posts: 13
    elemint: I don't see how your reasoning of the Taurus engine applies here. You have to have a verifiable history to make an accurrate claim. The Taurus and the Touareg have nothing in common, save the similarity in the pronunciation of their names.

Anyway, if there is this much consternation here, VW picked its price points correctly. In my opinion, either vehicle is an extremely good value (pending is does not have any major issues). Some people put a weighted relevance on the extra power and the upgraded amenities, others put it on a well-rounded package at a savings. I bought a V8, but I gotta tell you, I don't think I would have been disappointed with a base V6. For the money, it is a steal, and I would have easily laughed off the slower acceleration to the extra coin in my pocket.
    -BD
    This is not an antiV-6 engine crusade. not at all.V-6 engine, as we know it from the passat, Audi and Golf happens to be one of the finest in the VW range. My point is that when one comes to make a choice between the different T-regs engines offered to the u. s. consumer (namely; V-6, V-8 and very soon the V-10) one should hear what ather owners who have made the choice already have to say. This is not to promote extra power and extra cylinders. Some cars work great with 4 cylinders and a 2 liter engine or less.
    Its not even a $$$ /value issue. Its the way the 2.5 Tons car works. Take another look at ms g.#1705 "... and once over about 50mph it simply hums..." Thats the point i am trying to get across to all the buyers who have not made their choice yet; the suv should "hum" from the 1mph.
  • tregownertregowner Member Posts: 26
    .....I dont expect a V-6 owner to come out and admit he made the wrong choice.....AND...I have no interest in suggesting that the V6 Touareg owners have made a mistake (and I do understand there are those who do feel it is a mistake). My interests lie in urging those who are on the fence between the V6 and V8 to look at the value proposition in addition to the monthly lease payment.

Hmmmmm....
    Maybe it's that V8 owners realize that they have overpaid for what they have, and are now trying to justify THEIR purchase by stating that the V6 is "overpriced" on a relative basis...

See, we can twist anything around. In reality, there are so many personal decisions that come into play when purchasing a car, arguments like this are pretty spurious. I would say that the "value" play would exist when looking at a low priced vehicle for basic transportation. However, when looking at $35,000 plus cars, particularly one's that have features that many of their owners will never use, "value" isn't a word I would consider. Particularly on an asset that depreciates immediately. There may be a "relative value" assigned by the purchaser between whatever they are considering, but there is so much else that goes into the equation. Plus, everyone has his/her own views/opinions.

I paid cash for my V6. I could have paid cash for a V8. I could have paid cash for a Cayenne, for that matter. For me, the car I bought, with its particular options and features, satisfies my needs, particularly taking into account a lot of other variables. So, for me, I felt that I got a good deal on my purchase, there is a perceived "value" in my vehicle (monetary/emotional and otherwise), and I'm a happy camper. The same is obviously being said by the V8 crowd. Bottom line....the right choice is the one that is the best for each individual, taking into account their particular situation.
  • lee1000lee1000 Member Posts: 10
    This whole issue seems silly to me as both are great, but there are some other variables which may affect one's choice. I live in a high-altitude city and drove both before making my purchase. There is no question that when you live and drive at a 6000+ foot altitude, there is a considerable amount of difference in performance. Here the V-6 just doesn't have enough "oomph" for my taste. And remember, even my taste is a matter of personal preference, not necessarily what is right for everyone.
    I heard both sides, and both make good points.

I think the V6 owners are happy for what they perceive as a good value and good acceleration in a good car. It satisfied all their vehicular requirements, including acceleration...!

In the eye of a top fuel dragster, which goes 0-150 mph in 2 secs.....all would be slow.

But for V8 owners who drive with more weight and need more torque or high end top speed, then an 8 cylinder is what is called for . They are happy and appreciate the more horses. I don't think they will use it all the time, but its there....

both are great cars and will do 99% of what we ask of them.
  • okg0okg0 Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased a V8, and absolutely love it!

One question. In trying to calibrate the compass, the instruction manual tells you to press "OK". Where is the OK symbol you are suppose to activate?
  • brundogbrundog Member Posts: 13
    I noticed many interesting attributes about the car - and all of them demonstrate how well thought out and modern this vehicle is. But 3 things that currently stick in my mind as very cool:

1. The perforated vent on top of the dash is an air vent. It is there to minimize the sound of the air flow entering the vehicle, and I think it works pretty well.

2. I found this out by accident. To start the car, you don't need to turn the key to the START position and hold it until the engine starts. You can just flick it to the START position and let go - the engine turns over and starts on its own.

3. Air suspended models only, I assume: At each wheel, there is a link tied to the suspension that actuates a rotary sensor. These measure the height of the vehicle and are used to determine how much air is to be loaded into the springs.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    "You've got mail"...I have the Technical Service Bulletin that you need...:)
    $57k! so the V-10 is HP is worth the extra $22K.... Would love a diesel but why always the overkill in the auto industry these days???
    "... drive at 6000+foot altitude, there is considerable amount of difference in performance."
    Interesting observation. I had the same when driving both versions(V-6, V-8 rented T-Regs) in Holland. Altitude there is around 0 foot above see level.
    You are right; when my salesman went over the car with me , he did say that all you needed to do was to flick it to start and release....that would start the car.....kinda like a push button, without the button. No need to crank the key... :-)
    I decided to get the Honda Element. Lots of car for the $ and much more space than the Touareg, also much better milage. Not as comfortable or as fancy as the tourege, but when the market crashes before this summer all those puts i am buying from the savings on the element will give me the $ to get the TDI when it comes out. Thanks again
  • st4s03st4s03 Member Posts: 9
    All very interesting. 220 HP and torque is not under powered for a 5000 lb vehicle. I had a 94 Suburban for 6 years and would load it down with family and gear and tow a boat and have no problems going up the hills and passing on two lane highways and driving around town. Power was fine. Stopping that car was an adventure. It was a V8 engine, 200 HP 215 Fft/lb torque weighed 5600 lb empty and was 20 feet long. I think the V6 touareg will be great ( I sold the boat )
  • noevllynoevlly Member Posts: 2
    What do people think about buying a demo V8. Sold as new but already has 5k on the clock. Pricing is good.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Well, let's see, how do you think it was driven from the very first mile?

What's VW's normal break in schedule look like?

Some people are convinced that it doesn't matter how hard you drive a vehicle, that it just doesn't matter to the mechanical longevity of the machine (or it's parts).

If your one of those, go for it!

Lot's of other people believe that how a vehicle is driven for it's first 500-1000 miles is critical in determining just how long it will last and how much it will cost to keep it on the road.

I'm one of these.

Personally, I wouldn't even think about buying it unless I was certain that I'd be rid of it within the power train warranty so that anything that goes wrong is on the manufacturer's dime.

I remember getting a test drive in a brand new Passat W8 with 26 miles on the odometer and having the salesman encourage me to bury the gas pedal and run it up to the red line just to experience the acceleration (in a $40k Passat).
  • woodberywoodbery Member Posts: 10
    VWGUILD

could you forward it to me as well

Happy V6 owner

lastoneleft@msn.com
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    I guarantee that the V8 in your Suburban had more than 215 lb ft of torque. Probably closer to 315.

Tom
  • uga2uga2 Member Posts: 2
    Ready to purchase V-8, but dealer mentioned the V-10 TDI was on the way. I have seen other sites mention the V-10 will never make it to the states due to tough emissions standards. What is the "real" story behind this amazing engine?
    Some dealers already know what is coming to them already in the pipeline. I think they even have VIN numbers.
    i dont know much about that new v10 tdi, but for sure the emissions standards reason is bogus. Todays rail tdi's are more efficient that Natural Gas! That is not a typo... The only question is how much sulfer is in the fuel to begin with. I hear it is more in the states than in europe. BTW the improved milage alone should cut down on emissions alone
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Happy to, but I need a FAX #....
    The danger of reading and reading and reading is that you can't quickly cite your source when you want to pass along some information -- so, I can't tell you where I read this and a quick search hasn't helped:

European Diesels will be coming to the US from several manufacturers -- we have not seen some of the recent generation TDI's here on this side of the Atlantic due to a fuel purity issue; and, the "fix" is in the pipeline (so to speak -- I crack myself up!)

These new TDI's are torque rich, more efficient than their gasoline counterparts and are difficult to differentiate from gasoline powered engines either inside or outside the vehicles (assuming you don't see the TDI badges). These cars start "normally" in cold weather and are often engineered to provide great acceleration in the stop light dragstrips we call urban driving.

While sometimes -- ok more than sometimes -- being rated with lower horsepower, the stump pulling torque from low RPM's is often seen as a reasonable trade since most people claim to buy horsepower but really love torque (that comes on early).

The VW/Audi group produced several YEARS ago a 2.5LTDI rated at 180HP (big deal you say, when the 1.8T does the same thing, so what?)

The difference was the 180HP engine has so much low end torque that it "feels" stronger even than the 3.0 gasoline V6.

No wonder many of us -- and I have had the pleasure of driving an A4 2.5TDI with 6spd stick and sport package -- have been keenly interested in these engines. The fact that they achieve higher MPG's and the fuel, thus far, is generally less money than unleaded premium per gallon is just sweetening the deal.

Now, there was a time when reliability, repairability and fuel availability were problematic. Apparently these attributes are history.

There does appear, however, to be one hurdle remaining -- the cost: a Touareg with a V10 diesel will be significantly more $$ as people will, practically speaking, configure them.

I have seen reports that show these vehicles will blow through the $50,000 price range and keep right on going until the first number begins with a "6."

Perhaps VWguild can enlighten us with respect to the US MSRP.

Price independent -- which is often used, in the motoring press, to evaluate cars -- it has been written that most people will choose the Touareg WITH the diesel.

Of course, the reality of the MSRP will dampen that enthusiasm, I suspect, just as the V8's price point has helped sell many V6 Touaregs.