Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    I haven't towed with my Touareg yet, but I have the air suspension and I'm glad I went for it. The auto ride is much better than the stock ride. It seems like if you have a choice and want the best towing performance, you want air to level the car, etc. On the other hand, the truck handles fine without the air, so it should tow loads well, within its capability.
  • spockcatspockcat Member Posts: 100
    While most boat trailers have relatively low tongue weights, you will find that the air suspension is better for towing as it automatically levels the car so you will not get any rear end sag if you do have a heavy tongue weight.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .back to back to back to back:

V6 Cayenne, V8 Cayenne, V6 Touareg, V8 Touareg.

Price no object:

V6 Cayenne OK, V8 Cayenne, O-Wow, V6 Touareg OK-, V8 Touareg O-Wow.

Price an object, order of price/preference:

V6 Cayenne (the bargain of the bunch on price alone)

V8 Touareg (the bargain of the bunch on price+performance/content)

V8 Cayenne (great ride, but where is the additional $14,800?)

V6 Touareg (overpriced, underpowered, unwanted, unwise and should be discontinued, in any town where there is also a Porsche dealership).

And, the winner by $14,800 plus a nicer interior = Touareg V8 cranked to about $50,000 MSRP.

And, the loser, by virtue of lackluster performance and similar price point when compared to the slightly more powerful and higher contented Cayenne V6 = Touareg V6 cranked to about $42,000 MSRP.

====

Now, hold on there before you castigate me:

These are opinions, and these are ONLY my opinions -- your opinion is no less valuable.

The downside of the Cayenne: no telematics at any price.

The upside of the Cayenne: maintenance is included in the price.

The downside of the V6 Touareg, besides the above?: First 50,000 minimum maintenance requirements ~ $2,200 (slightly higher for the V8).

Why anyone who doesn't care about On*Star would even consider a Touareg V6 when the Cayenne is ~ the same price and has no nickle and diming future (the maintenance) and has mo' power -- beats me.

Why anyone would consider the $64,800 Cayenne (which does not include sat nav) when compared to the $50,000 Touareg (which does include sat nav and some other nice stuff that the Cayenne lacks at that price point [$64,800]) -- beats me.

Now, if you could only get the V8 Touareg with the maintenance costs built into the sticker (and perhaps discounted since they would be prepaid).

Color me impressed with VW.

P.S. also test drove an R32 - wheeeeeeeeeee!
  • roweerowee Member Posts: 21
    "Down side of the v6..." I would add one more very important issue, ignored for some reason by the u.s. consumer; The engine! Yes, this v6 engine known to the Europeans as a winner on the audi/VW range is preforming poorly when merged with the T-Reg. It seems the Torque is low and the car is sluggish to say the least. The Europeans are ignoring the v6 version and opting for the v8. Looking at the great burgin prices of the v8 in the u.s. market, I fail to understand any body choosing the infiriore v6.
  • dane100dane100 Member Posts: 1
    I seem to be driving a different car. I have a V6 which I purchased in late Feb. It now has 3500 miles. Last tank I got 19.6 miles driving in Mpls. freeway rush hour traffic.(Miles driven divided by gallons purchased) I have had no problems with car at all. Mileage improved when I decided to drive car rather than have it drive me. You have to use Tac and transmission, The vehicle becomes a lot more fun. I got poor mileage on trip to door county home, but I was only car on township roads driving through 10-12 inch drirfts in a 40 mile ahour wind, mileage dropped to 9. I also own 76 911 targa,2000 saab 9-3 a 93 ranger 4x4(120k) should get rid of it but it just keeps running.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    mark: can you enlighten me as to what telematics are and what is included on the toareg in terms of telematics ?

also, where did you get the info that service and maintenance was included in the Cayenne ? I have one, but I thought we had to pay...

thanks..... :-)
    Telematics -- simply and somewhat incompletely put = On*star.

The world market for vehicle telematics solutions for professional and consumer markets is estimated today at $5 billion, with annual growth rates forecasted at 50% . Every day, around the world, more than 20,000 vehicles are fitted with a telematics system.

The official def:

Telematics -

Refers to the broad industry related to using computers in concert with telecommunications systems. This includes dial-up service to the Internet as well as all types of networks that rely on a telecommunications system to transport data.

The term has evolved to refer to systems used in automobiles that combine wireless communication with GPS tracking. The term is further evolving to include a wide range of telecommunication functions that originate or end inside automobiles.

I own a company that provides wireless services to field sales force people, so it is an occupational hazard to just refer to On*star by its generic name -- however, on the ceiling of my Audi allroad there is a panel that says "Audi Telematics" and has a blue On*star button.

I use my Audi telematics to access stock reports, audio email (my email is read to me by the system (text only), and traffic and weather. My system also allows me to simply say the word "dial 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 dial" to make outbound calls hands and eyes free -- all of this is part of the integrated phone, Internet, Services and GPS sat nav system that came with the car (for a price).

=====

On the other matter, the dealer told me that maint would be included with my new Cayenne. . .if I am wrong, I apologize and stand corrected.

Frankly, after the VW dealer told me that my scheduled maintenance for a V8 Touareg for the first 40,000 was about $2,200, and that it only included incidentals for the first year ($80 wiper blades and wheel alignments are "free" for this period only, unlike the Audi and BMW which offer unlimited free maintenance of such items more or less at the owner's request -- within reason. That is, Audi will not give you a new set of wiper blades 52 times per year for 4 years or 50,000 miles -- but they always replace mine, if I ask when I get my oil changed at 7,500 miles -- which is 2,500 miles "early") I got scared away thinking of the great nickel and dime death that awaited me.
  • ppdrppdr Member Posts: 2
    I just drove a dealer's V8 with the Premium Plus Package, it has the air suspension. I will doing mostly highway driving. Is it worth the money or is the standard suspension fine?
    Does anyone know when the 2005 will reach the dealers, I think I would like a second model year. I am hoping there will be less problems, my wife loves the car and wants me to buy the car now.
    What was the MSRP of the Cayenne V6 you drove? When I price one on Edmunds similar to what VW puts in the base Touareg V6, I come up with an MSRP of $48,390. This is close to $12k more than the Touareg V6.

Cayenne V6 options that are standard on a Touareg V6:
    Moonroof $1,100
    Electric Comfort Package $890
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System $590
    Automatic Climate Control $550
    Metallic Paint $495
    Heated Front Seats $480
    Roof Carrying System $450
    17" Collapsible Spare Tire $170

I don't think those few hp and the Porsche name are worth that much, and neither do you because that was your opinion comparing the two V8 models.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    thanks mark...

I wish we could have one in the cay... :-(

have fun motoring...
    The Cayenne, as I recall, was about $43,000 (for the V6). For the money, the Touareg V8 was "the bargain" and "the performer" -- although the Cayenne V8 was very sweet. As I noted it just was, well, overpriced -- that emblem in the center of the steering wheel was just not that valuable.

Now, I did not thinkg the V6 Cayenne was "bad" -- I just, well, you know -- I couldn't see the "value proposition." On the other hand, the inventory of Cayennes was HUGE (more than 15 of them). Dealin'? Oh yea!
  • mmee1mmee1 Member Posts: 19
    I have 5000 miles on my V6 without air suspension. I love it. My opinion is save the $ on air unless you are doing heavy off road or towing.

Yes, I do have the V6. The one with the hamsters running on a treadmill for an engine. I just don't understand these anti-V6 posts. Mine is as quick and as fast as I ever need. It is great. And I have proof, unfortunately. #91281. That is my citation number from the California Highway Patrol I got for going 75 in a 55 zone while passing two SUVs on a straight away at 7,000 ft in the Sierras loaded with 4 people and gear. Good thing that V6 is such a dog or I would have a really big fine.
  • tregv825tregv825 Member Posts: 1
    Our v-8 transmission still is not fixed and still surges ahead suddenly when you try to accelerate from either a stop or between 0-10 mph.

VWOA continues to say they are "researching" the problem but no solution yet despite repeated e-mail messages and phone calls. This is a problem and it must be a big one because no one seems to be able to fix it.
  • golfgti47golfgti47 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah, i hear a lot about the touareg's tranny, and there not good comments. But i never heard your problem. Vwoa always says there searching, they say it so much that its actually funny!
    You are way off on the price comparison btwn the Cayenne and Touareg V6's. To pump up a Cayenne up to where my Touareg is (V6, PP2, Sound, xenons, air suspension) would list about $8K more, and it would still be ugly in comparison, IMHO. At 2500 miles and one month of ownership, I have no regrets with the V6. It climbs the 11,000 foot passes with no trouble and works great on several very rough, steep construction sites and the slimy, muddy two tracks that I've tried so far in the Pike Forest. The jeep trails will have to wait until the snow melts. The way it is geared, I'm not worried. I wouldn't hesitate to tow with it, but I probably won't. Average mileage so far is about 17.5mpg, halfway between EPA city/highway. I had a highway tank that was almost 20mpg, mostly 75-85mph. I'm pretty impressed with the performance for such a heavy car. The V8 owners I talk to dont brag much about gas mileage. Also, the V8 throttle jump takes some getting used to. So far, my touareg is a delightful way to burn miles.

By the way, the air suspension rides great, very adjustable, but will weird you out when it starts adjusting by itself at stoplights. I keep looking around to see if I'm on a flimsy bridge. Happens rarely, and I have no idea why.

In summary, I do not agree the car is overpriced, underpowered, unwanted, unwise and should be discontinued. I shopped hard for almost a year before I bought the Touareg and I have not regretted. Serious contenders were: 4Runner, X3, X5. Came this close to a BMW, but I decided not to give up hard-core off-road capability. The v8 4Runner sport is a bargain if you can stand the seats.

just my $0.02,
    Dave
    I stand corrected with respect to your data and of course your opinion. My opinion regarding the V6 Touareg stands as my opinion. The V8 Touareg compared with the V8 Cayenne is a major bargain and, no offense, the V6 variant (actually of both, more or less) lacks power (for me).

The differences in the VW and Porsche were supposed to be -- so said the car mags -- quite noticable. I would characterize the $65K Porshce Cayenne vs a $50K VW Touareg as fraternal twins, with the main difference being the empblem on the steering wheel.

Indeed, for my money, if I were to pull the trigger today and my choices were these two, the VW would be the hands down winner.

But, this is not to say the Porsche wasn't a fine vehicle. And, if I was in the $40's, then and only then would I opt for the Porsche.

I am glad you are pleased with your V6 Touareg -- these messages are, as we all know, highly subjective.

Enjoy.
  • bcj2bcj2 Member Posts: 17
    I just purchased a new Toureg V6 w/ every option except onstar. Can anyone address the following problems/issues?

1. Remote Control: the range is about 10 feet. What's the deal w/ that?

2. After 1 week, the airbag light came on. A part has been on order for over a week.

3. Where is the air compressor(s)?

4. There are 2 small buttons (1 on each side of the steering wheel) behind the steering wheel controls. What are they for?

5. Why can't you input the exact house # on the navigation system? It only shows you a range of #'s

6. Can you use the steering wheel controls to select the next radio station on your memory?
    I'll try to help a bit:

1. Remote Control: the range is about 10 feet. What's the deal w/ that?

This might be within the range of "normal" -- as I recall when I test drove one this was not the case, when my Audi has this issue, it generally means the battery in the fob is almost kaput.

2. After 1 week, the airbag light came on. A part has been on order for over a week.

Part one, small surprise, part two much bigger surprise, it must mean this part hardly ever fails or that it fails so often they can't keep it in stock.

3. Where is the air compressor(s)?

I think there are two (at least) one for "load leveling" and one for the air suspension levels. I "think" the load leveling one is in the rear, I have no idea where the other one is.

4. There are 2 small buttons (1 on each side of the steering wheel) behind the steering wheel controls. What are they for?

Tiptronic control.

5. Why can't you input the exact house # on the navigation system? It only shows you a range of #'s.

With only a little sarcasm: the reason is the government won't allow a non military system to have this much precision. Seriously, the GPS system has certain technical limitations, but ones that are used in vehicles (non military) are only permitted to be accurate within "X feet or meters." The systems are tehcnically capable of precision that is greater. But the range of my Audi GPS is limited to proably 100 feet or so. Again, I read this explanation a few years back, that claimed the technology that is used is the same as the government uses for greater precision, but that that level of accuracy has been dialed down (so you can't do something military with the system). I don't know and don't care if this is an urban myth. My system usually gets me soooo close to my destination that I am delighted. If I know the house number and/or intersection I can get to the even numbered or odd numbered range that is the proverbial stone's throw from where I am going. Enjoy it the way that it is, for now, that is just the way it is.

6. Can you use the steering wheel controls to select the next radio station on your memory?

On my 2001 Audi the answer is yes, on my 2003 the wheel controls seem to be the same as pressing the seek button once.

Hope this helps, VWGUILD, I am certain knows the whole story and what he doesn't know, he can probably go over to one of the vehicles at his dealership and figure out for you.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I hope they fix this. I have a '99 RX300 and have been following the Touareg as a possible next vehicle. After almost 5 years and no new battery my RX remote still works several hundred feet away. Seems like a small issue but it is very useful a) in a large parking lot at night b) when you are a half a block away and want to double check that you have locked the doors c) at home I can unlock the car from the couch to let my kids or wife get something out of the car on their way out d) I can roll the windows down on hot days when approaching the car and e) from a distance you can scare the hell out of drunks who lean on your car (actually did this once and it worked great.)
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    In my experience, this is a VW only trait. Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, and Infiniti all allow you to input the exact address (as long as it's in the database).

Perhaps this is a limitation of the older CD based data as opposed to the other mentioned above who use DVD.

It could also be the individual provider of the Data that is on the CD/DVD. The Nissan/Infifniti data comes from a company called Zenrin.

I'm not sure about the source of the Toyota/Lexus data.
    I have heard that the precise House Number can be entered into some Sat Nav systems. I believe, however, that the location found is "within X feet or meters" just as it is with the Audi, Mercedes and VW systems.

The range, odd or even, has never been an issue for me and my two current 2003 Audis make the 3rd and 4th cars I have had with this Bosch system -- the accuracy is very high.

Other than military precision I cannot imagine needing any greater accuracy.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Have you had any run-ins with the V10 tdi's? I've chatted with a couple folks that have made the purchase. I haven't run acrossed one to drive yet. The one guy traded his V8 T-reg in for the V10. His description of the power compared to the V8 was "wheeeeeee!!!". Averaged 23mpg first tank of mix. MFI was reporting 27mpg at steady 70mph.

I've also heard about an extended t-reg with 3rd row coming? I see one of these with a V10 TDI in my future. Should be the perfect replacement for our Tahoe. Should pull 5,000# like it's not back there and get good mpg to boot. Should be fun when not towing too!
    After owning an Acura + Lexus, I purchased an Toureg w/ Nav, PP2, xenon, park assist + air suspension.

After 5 days, the airbag light came on. I took it to the dealer who gave me a VW Golf loaner in which 1 of the service guys seemed to use as his ashtray. They said they had to order a passenger side airbag + asked if I wanted to keep the loaner until it came in - no thanks!

I called last week to check on the part + was told they'll check + call me right back. After not hearing anything for 4 days, I called back + was told they needed to check + would get back to me. An hour later they called + said it will take 7-10 business days to come in but if I wanted, I could pay $30 to have the delivery expedited. Again, no thanks!

I emailed customer service @ vw.com. A very nice lady called me the next day + said she'd look into the situation + talk to the dealer + try to get me a toureg loaner. She said she's call me back by the next day. That was 3 days ago.

Finally, when I talked to the service manager at my dealer today about my airbag, I mentioned that my remote control had a range of 5-10 feet. His response was that it's something to do w/ our area of Richmond, VA and VW in general. He went on to explain that VW must use a radio frequency that doesn't work well in our area since reduced range is a problem w/ all VW's in our area of Richmond but that the range works well outside the city. Based on everything I've read, this is a bunch of BS!

My 1st reaction when my wife suggested spending ~$45,000 for a VW was "no thanks." I'd rather buy an RX330 or MDX . . or even an Aviator (I also have a Navigator). I should have gone w/ my initial reaction. Never again will I buy another VW. VW will probably learn the hard way that you can't treat Toureg or Phaeton owners like Golf or Beetle owners (no dig intended).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    He went on to explain that VW must use a radio frequency that doesn't work well in our area since reduced range is a problem w/ all VW's in our area of Richmond but that the range works well outside the city.

Did he REALLY say that?? WOW!

Please inform him that the laws of physics are the same everywhere - at least according to Albert Einstein! :-)

tidester, host
    That sounds about right. You really have to shop around for a VW dealer, they're NOT a luxury dealer regardless of what they charge for the cars. From what I've seen, most are marginal at best. That being said, my Jetta TDI has never been to a dealer in 80k miles. Oh, it's had a few problems here and there, but I find other ways to have the vehicle serviced/repaired. I wouldn't let my closest vw dealer work on a bicycle. But VW makes a few vehicles that just really appeal to me so it may be worth dealing with their "problematic" service techniques. The Touareg V6 and V8 are not worth it to me, but I think the V10 TDI may be. I probably won't keep it outside the warranty period anyway and as long as I'm not paying for their incompetence, I can put up with it.
    Wow, quit beating around the bush, be direct -- what do you really think?

Are VW dealers REALLY this awful?

I'd like to take a moment of silence and reflect upon my good fortune to have had my current wonderful Audi dealer (owned by a VW Audi goup) since 1977.

Ommmmmm Ommmmmmmm Ommmmmmmmmmmmm.

Somebody must have the cookbook somewhere that establishes dealer standards -- yes? So VW dealers really just ignore the corporate mantra?

Ommmmmm Ommmmmmmm Enlightenment!
    If only the Audi dealerships rubbed off onto the VW dealers, that'd be great! Sort of like Lexus and Toyota. Lexus dealers bend over backward, toyota dealers.....well it's sorta the other way around. At least some of them. I drove Camrys for upwards of 10 years and 350k miles. One honest one within 100 miles of me.

My Audi dealer is great. The VW dealer on the other side of town is a MB, Jag, Porshe, VW combo and they're terrible regardless of what brand they're servicing. Next closest VW dealer, I couldn't get through a telephone call without getting mad. 3rd closest VW dealer is responsible for pillaging a fellow TDI owner I recently met. 4th closest I'm going to find out soon as I just got a recall notice on my Jetta. Stay tuned, if they have a Touareg TDI I'll drive that while they perform the inspection that I could do myself.
    I've said it before, I think with the Touareg it is really important to shop the service of the dealer you're buying from even more than you shop the price.

I have a Touareg and an Audi. Took both in for service recently at their respective dealerships. Similar exceptional treatment at both.

I've developed a contact in my Touareg service department. She makes an appointment on my schedule, the work is complete and quick and the car was returned washed. The waiting area has ESPN, an internet hot spot and fresh coffee. When I went to sign for my car, they handed me a rose as a thank you for my visit. That evening my wife got a rose, just cause I was thinking about her. I don't know what more I could ask for out of a dealership.

I have to drive an extra half hour because my local VW dealer's service area seemed, shall we say, less good. Shop the service center.
    I previously owned a 2000 Audi quattro + loved both the car + the dealer service. In Richmond, 1 VW dealer is just a few miles away while the other is about 45 mins 1 way in traffic. You can definitely tell the difference between a luxury dealer like Lexus, Acura, Audi etc compared to VW. My thought is that people spending $40k+ on a veh expect better treatment for service. If we don't get it, we'll take out business elsewhere. Unless VW shapes up, they've lost my business for good.

By the way, the dealer suddenly got in an airbag this afternoon. We'll see how it goes w/ svc tomorrow - i'll mention the remote range again
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Who is your dealer?
    I guess I can say a dealer name here as long as I do not list individual names. My dealer is Bob Lewis VW on Capitol Expressway in San Jose, CA.
  • mikeri2mikeri2 Member Posts: 1
    VW's website claims that the V6 AWD 2.3l model gets 18/26 mpg, yet the EPA, KBB, and Edmunds sites claim 15/20 mpg.

Which one is right? Who's lying? :)

I'm seriously considering one of these.

Also... Will the 2005 be worth waiting for? Any anticipated improvements? Hybrid? :)

Thanks in advance
    Mike
    The VW.com lists the 3.2L V6 at 15/20. Possibly you're looking at the wrong vehicle or the european vw site?

Won't be any hybrids from VW. They've already stated they have no intention of developing this, and I wouldn't hold my breath for any european manufacturer to do it. Their diesel models are the bread and butter in the rest of the world.
    As of a couple of weeks ago, vw.com did, indeed list 18/26 for the 3.2 liter v6. It appears they've fixed their faux pas. By the way, my v6 Touareg averages 16-18mpg in mixed driving, and about 20mpg in steady highway driving at 70-80 mph. This is with good premium (shell) and about 1mpg less with cheap gas that I think has more ethanol in it.
    Mine is Browns in Richmond

By the way, they suddenly got the airbag in; installed it + everything seems ok...of course, they forgot to call me + tell me the veh was ready..typical
    I had my 1st long trip w/ the toureg this weekend. Both on the ride down + on the ride back, the transmission had the same problem - after being on the hwy @ ~65mph for 2 hrs, the transmission made a loud thump noise + vibration when slowing down off the hwy. I looked at the gear indicator each time I heard the thump + noticed the veh in 4th gear both times.

Anyone else notice this? Thoughts?
  • username12345username12345 Member Posts: 5
    I noticed small 1/2" burn marks and a tad of a discoloration to a good amount of my muffler. I am not a gear head so sorry for this but its not the muffler pipe its the main portion thats exposed on the back bottom of the car. I asked the dealer if it was a concern since it was purchased in December. My thought was that if its showing signs of "wear" now what will it look like in a year and god forbid what will happen within the year. The sevice guy told me it was "working" correctly... but I didnt get a good response really that made me feel safe.

My question to all of you is... is this safe? Have any of you encountered this? Is this a VW thing?

Thanks!
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Ummm, mufflers do get hot, and it does discharge unburnt and burnt fuels, so it will leave some carbon deposit and make it look black. But more to your question, it gets quite hot, so discoloration is more of norm than exception.
    Yeah, I get the idea of the hot as by touch its boiling. But for it to start discoloring and show a yellowish tint seems a little too soon for it to start after a little over a half of a year. I know the response to this is to just talk to the dealer or vw again but just want to know if its something others have had...
    seems a little too soon for it to start

I'm surprised it's gone that long without discoloration. How many miles did you say you have on it?

tidester, host
    I have about 8k on it now. Just city driving it for about 2 hours a day. Help at all?
    I've read where people have tried various remedies such as cleansers. Perhaps someone here has had a similar experience and can help you out. Anyone?

tidester, host
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    My Trooper has or had similar discoloration. Spots all over it. The exhaust is supposed to be stainless steel on the trooper, so I assumed it was the way the stainless steel reacts to the heat vs. a standard exhaust.

I haven't looked recently, but sounds similar to what I noticed. I will check tonight. I am not sure if the touareg has stainless steel exhaust, but it may given the fact it is designed to run in high water?
    I believe the mufflers are stainless. My understanding is that surface contaminants (oil, etc.) may not be fully removed when the steel is processed and become discolored when heated.

tidester, host
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I checked mine, but alas it is 5 years old and it looks much more like a "normal" exhaust, however there is some spots near the tailpipe that have the spotting. I seem to remember it looked that way very soon after purchase.

I would guess the discoloration is due to the type of steel. I remember the spotting was on the muffler and on the pipes as well.
    Muffler discolorization:

This is from the production process. No big deal. It can be removed with some oil and steel wool or a product called Barkeeper's Friend. I cleaned mine about 12,000 miles ago and the discolor hasn't returned.

Mileage discrepancey:

Error on VW's website now corrected. STUFF happens.

Remote range:

There is a TSB to correct this. VW57-04-04. I now have about a 40 foot range from the rear where it was only 5 feet before. Warranty service.

Airbag light:

I haven't had this problem but I know of many other owners who have. VW usually replaces wiring harness under the driver's seat because of possible fraying. An issue that VW is fixing. (This is a new model afterall).

Air compressor:

The steel spring model has a portable one next to the spare tire. The air suspension model has a built in compressor under the car I believe under the passenger seat area. There are two air tanks in the car and their is a fitting under the passenger seat to use the portable air hose that is located under the rear driver's side passenger seat.

Small buttons on rear of steering wheel:

One is to turn the steering wheels lighting on/off. The other is for the heated steering wheel option. Both buttons appear on all steering wheels regardless of whether you have a heated steering wheel or not.

Exact house number in navigation:

This is not really an issue. I can tell you from experience with a Garmin iQue 3600 my wife uses, entering the exact house number will only get you to within the basic area. So Bosch/Blaupunkt is facing up to the fact that they can't tell EXACTLY when to stop.

VW Service:

I use Crowley in Plainville, CT and have had excellent service. Not every dealer gives excellent service. Not every service person knows exactly what they are talking about. That is unfortunate but unavoidable with VW currently.
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    service issues aren't brand specific but rather dealership specific. If you encounter an incompetant service writer who incorrectly writes your repair order, how is the tech supposed to fix your car?

Communication is the key. Communication from the owner to the writer, the writer to the tech, and from VWoA to the dealers.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    Someone on clubtouareg mentioned a 241 hp v6. Has anyone else heard of this??
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    there is a built in "margin of error" in consumer based gps systems for national security purposes. I believe the margin of error is still set at 15 feet.
    You are correct w/ all of your info as I've been digging.

P.S. I grew up in Southington