Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• username12345username12345 Member Posts: 5
    I recently took my V6 Touareg into my local VW dealership and was sort of floored at the price for the first tune up. The total came out to be $123.74. I asked why it was so expensive and they said it was the "computer work" and the complexity of the engine. I feel like its a scam as our passats tune up is about as cheap as a honda civic. Yes the Touareg is a pricier car and a bit more complex but it seems sort of unreal and am wondering what the next service will total up to.

Anyone care to list what they spend? Is this a Los Angeles rip off price?
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    I noticed my dealer charges $90 for an oil change for the Touareg, because they use synthetic oil. Last time I looked, synthetic oil is $5 per quart. God only knows what the filter costs. I'm thinking of changing my own oil on the Touareg, if there is no adverse affect on the warrantee. I suspect there was no "tune-up," just an oil change. There is nothing to tune.
  • bcj2bcj2 Member Posts: 17
    I previously posted the problem I had w/ the airbag light + my dealer's run-around to get it fixed. Well, 3 wks after the "fix", the airbag light is on again. . . and the tire pressure system is malfunctioning.

I took it to the dealer + told them I'll pick it up when it's fixed for good. I demanded a toureg loaner + the dealer refused for "insurance reasons." As a former insurance defense lawyer for 10 yrs, I have no idea what "insurance reasons" he is talking about, nor could he give me any specific reason. I called VW corporate + the best they could do is authorize me $60 day for a rental.

2 strikes on my toureg so far, 1 more + it's a lemon in Va. My wife is already looking at the Volvo XC90's again.

I do NOT recommend anyone spend $40,000+ on any VW product when the dealers have no idea how to provide service at a luxury car level.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • username12345username12345 Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to recap after my experience with the dealer.

They said that all of the Touaregs are coming back with the spots on the Muffler.

Additionally, though I knew the solution from here, I asked if it could be cleaned. The Service guy said that it wouldnt help as its coming from the inside. I then asked if there was a warranty or recall deal and he said not yet. I just cant imagine how it will look or act in a year. It really loks like it will be a big hole by years end.
  • fleuger99fleuger99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I was at the dealer this evening to try and get some info on the 2005's. There are a few changes:

V6 get 20Hp increase to 240Hp
    No single options anymore (park assist, xenons etc.)
    All options are now going to be packaged and there are now about 5 packages for the V6
    Bad News - Park assist is now only available with Nav.
    No pricing availble just yet, they said July or Aug.
  • spockcatspockcat Member Posts: 100
    As the title says, after 17,500 miles I decided to go for a V10. 700 miles so far and it is FANTASTIC. Lots more power than the V8. I took a 70 mile trip on the second day and already got the 23 mpg highway they advertise (while driving 75 to 80 mph). Should do even better when it is broken in.

There are a couple of TSBs that need to be performed:
    V570404 TB VW FOLDING KEY RADIO REMOTE CONTROL
    V870402 TB VW WINDSHIELD CONDENSATION EXT LOWER
    But that is no big deal.

Incidentally, I put together the below list of TSBs for the Touareg as of June 14, 2004. While it looks like a long list, one thing that can be said is that VW is working very hard to make this car better. One other TSB/software fix that is coming very soon is for the transmission shifting. Several people I know have already had the reflash done by VW QTM personel and report that it is a very good improvement on the problems they have had with their transmissions. Frankly, I didn't have any issues with the transmission in my V8 or my V10, so I won't bother with this TSB. Anyway, here is the list:

V000304 TB VW BATTERY CHECKING TERMINAL CLAMPS
    V000305 TB VW HEADLIGHTS ADJUSTEMENT OF PDI NOT
    V000306 TB VW NEW VEHICLE DETAILER RESPONSIBILIT
    V000308 TB VW VEHICLE INSP., PROTECTION REMOVAL
    V000309 TB VW ENGINE UPPER COVERS MISSING AT PDI
    V000402 TB VW BATTERY CUT-OFF SWITCH DISCONNECT
    V000403 TB VW BATTERY CUT-OFF DEVICE REMOVE PDI
    V000404 TB VW TECH PREPARATION CALLING DLR TECH
    V010307 TB VW UPDATE PROGRAMMING (FLASHING) CONT
    V010405 TB VW ENGINE CONTROL MODUEL ECM DO NOT R
    V010408 TB VW ENGINE CONTROL MODULE ADDITION DTC
    V010411 TB VW UPDATE PROGRAMMING (FLASHING) TCM
    V150401 TB VW MIL ON WITH DTCS P1347/17755 P1340
    V170301 TB VW ENGINE OIL, SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
    V200302 TB VW EVAPORATIVE EMISSION (EVAP)SYSTEM
    V270302 TB VW BATTERY TESTING AND CHARGING MIDTR
    V270303 TB VW BATTERY, MAINTAINING CHARGE DURING
    V370301 TB VW AUTO TRANS SLIPS WHEN SHIFTING 2ND
    V430401 TB VW SELF-LEVELING SUSPENSION ERROR MES
    V440402 TB VW TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYS ANTEN
    V440403 TB VW TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYS WARNI
    V500401 TB VW PAINT FINISH, REMOVING INDUSTRIAL
    V550401 TB VW REAR HATCH GLASS, OPEN WARNING DIS
    V570302 TB VW ALARM SOUNDS IF TRAILER WIRING IS
    V570303 TB VW EFFECTIVE RANGE OF REMOTE CONTROL
    V570304 VW TB REMOTE CONTROL KEY TRANSMITTER PRO
    V570404 TB VW FOLDING KEY RADIO REMOTE CONTROL
    V630301 TB VW FRONT BUMPER, INSTALLING FRONT LIC
    V640301 TB VW NEW VEHICLE WINDSHIELD REAR SIDE
    V640302 TB VW NEW VEHICLE WINDSHIELD REAR SIDE G
    V680301 TB VW REAR SEAT ARMREST LID, DISENGAGED
    V680302 TB VW REAR SEAT ARMREST INCREASING CUPHO
    V680303 TB VW FRONT ARMREST CUPHOLDER LATCH MECH
    V690301 TB VW AIRBAG/PYROTECHNIC SEAT BELT DEPLY
    V690401 TB VW PASSENGER OCCUPANT DETECTION SYS
    V690402 TB VW SIDE AIRBAG IGNITER DIAG TROUBLE
    V700303 TB VW FRONT DOOR PANEL VINYL PEELING AWA
    V870301 TB VW MUSTY ODOR FROM HEATING AND VENTAL
    V870302 TB VW AC COMPRESSOR INOPERATIVE DTC00445
    V870402 TB VW WINDSHIELD CONDENSATION EXT LOWER
    V910301 TB VW ROOF DISPLAY FOR COMPASS ADAPTING
    V910302 TB VW RADIO, TONE, BALANCE OR FADER KNOB
    V910401 TB VW COMPACT DISC (CD) DISPLAYS ERR COD
    V910402 TB VW RADIO INOPERATIVE AFTER REPLACEMEN
    V910406 TB VW RADIO, INSUFFICIENT BASS OUTPUT BE
    V940301 TB VW HEADLIGHTS, MOISTURE ACCUMULATION
    V940302 TB VW GAS DISCHARGE HEADLIGHT SYSTEM COD
    V940303 TB VW TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY, REVOVAL PROCE
    Apparently you didn't read my post #1886 about this. This can be cleaned with a product called Barkeeper's Friend. I cleaned mine at 12,000 miles and the discolorization didn't come back. The discolorization was from the manufacturing process and isn't an ongoing problem. The mufflers and pipes are stainless steel they will not rust away like plain steel mufflers on American iron.
  • quicksquicks Member Posts: 3
    The 2004 Models equipped with this engine are not available for purchase in California,
    New York, Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts.

Does anyone know if the 2005 V10 TDI will qualify to be sold in any of these states?
    Rumor has it that VW will be offering 50 state Touareg TDI models in 2005.
  • golfgti201golfgti201 Member Posts: 12
    i live in California, which has one of the strongest emission laws out there. AS soon as i heard that the TDI Touareg wasn't coming to CAli, i wasn't;t very pleased. Maybe for the 2005 model year VW will try harder on their emissions to make it California driveable.......i hope.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    The problem not getting to California emissions standards has nothing to do with VW engineering ... rather it has to do with the crappy diesel fuel we have her in the states. I understand there legislation out that will start cleaning up the US spec diesel fuel starting in 2006 but the Oil lobby will probably pop out of the multiple legistlator pockets they have parked in and manage to push the time schedule for cleaning up the fuel further down the road.
  • golfgti201golfgti201 Member Posts: 12
    oh, if its true, then i didn't know that. But i also hear that California is going to change the emission policy for 2007 so it will be even stricter, which means there would be no possibility for the v-10 here, which sucks. lol
  • hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    "...but the Oil lobby will probably pop out of the multiple legistlator pockets they have parked in and manage to push the time schedule for cleaning up the fuel further down the road."

They already have. Cleaner diesel fuel was originally required to be available by 2003. When the Bush Administration took office, that deadline was pushed back to 2006.

You want to guess how likely the deadline is going to be pushed back again after November given the convenient excuse of limited refinery capacity.
    Doesn't surprise me with Bush's background in the oil industry. It is a shame that the big oil companies won't invest in the technology to clean up the deisel fuel ... there are a lot of European TDI and common rail deisel engines that could be brought stateside if the fuel was cleaner.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't think we want to stray too far into political debate! :-)

tidester, host
    http://demo.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100328
    From article:
    "..Volkswagen's front man for diesels, Richard Dorenkamp, believes the technical challenges will be met to allow diesels to be used well into the future.

"Diesels are powerful, economical, ecological and future-oriented," Dorenkamp said. "For the 2007 model year, there is a 95 percent reduction in tailpipe emissions, and we can't do it right now. But we're work- ing on it, and we believe we will meet the future emission standards."

Two emission problems haunt diesels: soot and nitrogen oxide. VW is working to develop particulate traps to handle the soot issue while "absorbers" are being developed to handle NOX, a component of acid rain.

A key to reducing emissions is being able to deliver fuel to the cylinders in small amounts at very precise timing under extremely high pressure, up to nearly 30,000 PSI. To deliver fuel to the cylinders, VW uses unit injectors rather than the common-rail system employed in the Mercedes-Benz 320CDI (AW, May 3). Unit injectors, located at each cylinder, have a mechanically driven pump that delivers the fuel to the electronically controlled injectors. The common-rail system uses an electronic pump to pressurize the "rail" that delivers fuel to each cylinder. Bosch makes both systems."
    As we know, premium gas is recommended for our Touaregs. I've religiously put premium in the tank since new. Last week, after almost 6k miles, I tried a tank of regular from the same company that I buy most of my gas from (Shell). I noticed an almost imperceptible roughness to the engine under load, as well as a slight lack of power under part and full throttle acceleration. Kind of a "doggy" feeling. Filled up an almost empty tank this morning with premium and noticed better throttle response, smoother running. This is not by any means a scientific test, but I figure there are others out there wondering whether regular will do the trick at about 20 cents a gallon less. I guess I'll stick with premium, although I might try a similar experiment with a tank of mid-grade.

By the way, I changed the oil last weekend. It wasn't too bad. Put the air suspension on full off-road, crawl under, ten screws to take off the plastic shroud under the engine and trans. Oil drain right there. Oil filter comes off with a 36mm socket.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    From what I understand, the problem with VW diesel sales in CA is has nothing to do with diesel emissions per se, but is tied to total vehicle sales. Since Chrysler/GM/Ford sell many times the number of vehicles in CA that VW sells, they can sell all the diesel pick-ups they want because they're a tiny fraction of their total CA sales. VW, OTOH, had to stop selling the TDI Jetta in CA in less than a year because diesel sales were a much larger chunk of overall VW sales. In CA its perfectly OK to sell a monster 7-liter diesel p/u but illegal to sell 50 mpg Jettas (or 30mpg Tregs). Go figure.
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    You may have already thought of this, and it's a bit of a hassle; but if the requirement is for "91 Octane", try 1/2 tank of regular (89 Octane) and 1/2 tank of Premium (93 Octane) for a mix of 91 Octane. Depending where you are, it could be a couple of bucks per tankful.
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    What's the price difference between the V-8 engine and the V-10 Diesel?
    Alot!
  • nmpnmp Member Posts: 19
    ....In the new Car and Driver mag, there is a picture of the long wheelbase/3rd row version undergoing winter testing.

....Supposedly should be here in '05 (maybe as an '06 model??). Maybe the "What's new in 2005" board should not have been banished to Read Only so quickly. :-)
    I Agree with nmp
  • mnmatchesmnmatches Member Posts: 111
    This happened to my Ford Explorer after I had it in the shop. It ended up being that my main ground wire was loose and causing the problem (along with a number of others).
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    congrats on your new Toureg V10 !!!

it rocks... !
  • elemintelemint Member Posts: 79
    Anyone know if the European 2.5 TDI will come the the states soon? How about importing one to the states, anyone try that? I have am at my wits end on this slowness of the US market to bring suv diesels here. And the V10 does NOT count! We need an engine for the masses not a high end toy.
    There is a V6 TDI that is going to be put into the Touareg. Maybe that will be brought here in 2006 or 2007.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Not sure, but i think that the TDI for the Touareg will be the 3.0TDI. I think that is the same one that is in the 05 A6.

225hp 330lb/ft
    I read that VW will be offering a 3.0L V6 TDI in the Phaeton in Europe. I think the 3.0L would be a good engine for the Touareg.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Yes, just about perfect...

If it was offered on a 7 passenger version, and the price was kept to the current 6 cylinder gas; I’d be there signing a check.

My pessimistic side tells me that this scenario wouldn't happened for many more years, and the price will be significantly higher.
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    The Consumer Reports mentioned that there is no cup holders for the back passengers. Is it true? Is that a problem for family with kids?
  • triumpher1triumpher1 Member Posts: 5
    Consumer Report is not very accurate in their assessments. My recent vehicle was listed for several years (during the entire time I owned it) not to have shoulder belts for the rear middle seat. Every time I looked into my vehicle, I found those shoulder belts to be there, and I don't believe that they were put in just for me! My Touareg has cupholders inside the rear seat arm rest, depending on the vehicle version, they either pop out, or the padding has to be lifted up.

I found that Consumer Report is not a real good authority on automobile testing, they look more for the emotional things, and praise them as long as they are in a Japanese brand vehicle. I found them to diss the identical feature in a US made car that they praised in a Japanese made one (and I subscribe to Consumer Reports since more than 20 years).
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    Their auto ratings are great and relevant ... if you're a century old, never drive over 30 MPH, don't care about handling or style, and still think we're at war with the Germans! ;)

I use their ratings when shopping for toasters (they won't let you try before you buy) but car reviews are (how to say politely) "not their forte"!
  • golfgti4789golfgti4789 Member Posts: 20
    do any of you guys know when the touareg extended is going to come out? maybe while there at it they could add the 4.2 335 horse like the audi's, lol.
  • snooksnook Member Posts: 3
    I am considering the new 2005 V6 Touareg and will occasionally be towing my boat on a trailer with brakes. Total weight is about 4,000lbs.

I was wondering if anyone on the board is currently towing a similar situation and how the experience has been? Any problems?

All thoughts are welcome on this topic even if you do not tow your comments are appreciated.

-Matt-
  • snooksnook Member Posts: 3
    It would be great to see what people are actually getting for average gas milage in their Touaregs...

Post if you have a V8 or V6 and what kind of milage you average
    I have 12k miles on a V6. I drive city and freeways around Denver, including the mountains. Over the first 10k my MFI indicated an average 18.3mpg. I've checked the accuracy of the MFI on a few tanks and it seems about right. Over the last 2k, I've averaged 17.9, which is probably because I have been doing a little less highway driving lately. I'm not disappointed with the mileage; this is a heavy unit. Using mid-grade or regular gas drops the mileage a little. It doesn't run quite as smoothly on regular, so I pony up for premium.

I'm interested in how the V8's are doing. I wanted one, but, at 20k miles a year, I wasn't sure I wanted to feed it.
  • rolimborolimbo Member Posts: 2
    I'm a newcomer to the board so I was looking for your expert advice. I was looking to purchase a new 2005 V8 Touareg. I really like the car, but there are always those comments about how VWs have a lot of problems. Anyone have thoughts? Are you happy with yours or would you have gone to a different car had you another chance? Thx.
    Love my Touareg. Be prepared to have a few problems. There are at least 6 "programs" to fix stuff on my V6 2004, two of which were mailed recalls. One major fix is a new transfer case, which is yet to be installed (my choice), while I wait for other parts, so that all can be fixed on one visit. I'm not thrilled that the driveline will be taken apart on my car, but we'll see how they do. At least I won't be the first one at the dealership to have this done.

I am waiting for parts to fix a broken center console. Sounds like terminal backorder. They replaced a cracked wood trim piece on the door and screwed up the aluminum surround doing it. I'm now waiting for that part. The CD player puked and that was replaced out of dealer stock, with no further problems. The front brake rotors sure look like they are wearing down after only 12k miles. The pads have lots of meat left. I'll have them look at that when I bring the car in for the transfer case.

The bright side is that the dealer has a much better, more helpful attitude lately. Although they do not do loaner cars, they always ask if they can rent me one when I leave the car. I think VW maybe got the message that people that can afford $40-70k cars and trucks don't like to be messed with. We also have family and friends with similar incomes that buy lots of cars.

There is nothing on the road like it, except for the Cayenne, and it is a joy to drive. Cayennes are starting to sprout in my neighborhood, and I see alot of Touaregs on the road. I figure I saved at least $10k over a similarly equipped Cayenne and about $3-4k over a 2005 Touareg. It looks like they loaded the 2005 price for incentives like they gave the last couple of months of 2004's.
  • tbradshawtbradshaw Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone having trouble with the printing rubbing off interior buttons (i.e. navigation unit). I purchased in april and the dealer is trying to tell me that is normal wear and tear?
  • tbradshawtbradshaw Member Posts: 2
    I had this problem with my touareg. The dealer told me the computer goes off and then comes back on usually when the car is on an decline (off ramp). VW fix was to update computer software done at dealership.
  • bullygirlbullygirl Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a (good fitting) seat cover for the back seat of my Touareg (I have a dog and don't want the leather scratched). Has anyone had any luck with the Neoprene type? I am wonder how well it fits. If so, where did you buy it from?
    I haven't seen too many seat covers for the t-reg yet. But why dont you fold down the rear seats, so your dogs cant scratch the leather, and if you want to you could remove the headrests so they dont scratch those as well.
  • tregownertregowner Member Posts: 26
    I tried this on another board with no luck, so I thought I'd try here! I replaced all 4 of my tires last week. Initially, I received the dreaded "defective wheel onboard" prompt for one wheel, and the other three read the pressure ok. I decided to see if it was just a problem in reading the one wheel, so I initiated the store function. The "learning tire pressure" prompt came on, and that's it. All 4 wheels read "ok" on the MFI, but also show 0 pressure. The "learning" prompt will come on, but of course there is nothing to learn, since all of the wheels read 0. It would seem as though the computer needs to be reset, but who knows. Has anyone experienced this? My other thought is that maybe there are special valve stems that the tire place chucked.
  • ahkahk Member Posts: 3
    What is the factory holdback % for 2005 Touareg V6? - I am hearing it is 3% of MSRP.

also what is the floorplan fee for 2005 Touareg V6?

These two will be very helpful in negotiating with a dealership.

I need this information ASAP!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know about floorplanning money, but VW's holdback is 2% of the Base MSRP.

link

Steve, Host
  • bostonronbostonron Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone tried dust shields on there T-reg.
    Kleen Wheels has vented shields and they say it won,t effect the cars warranty.
    has any of you guys seen the VW Touareg W12 Sport at the Paris auto show? That thing is amazing!!! I hope they could bring that to the U.S.....But later in Automiblie mag, they said the Sport pacage will be available here, just without the W-12, But everything else.....if there is any touareg sport model in consideration of the u.s. market...Bring it...don't delay like the new gti and the r32!!!