Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• tencjeddtencjedd Member Posts: 44
    I paid $10k under sticker on the V8 package 3 and tow hitch. I probably could have gotten another $500 off if I had really tried as I had 3 dealers willing to do it at the price without pushing them hard. Keep the car in good condition and well maintained, and depreciation won't be half as bad as a 05 BMX X5 which will be replaced next year by a new model. Two golden rules - never buy a car in the first year of its production cycle, and never buy a car in the last year of its production cycle.
  • 204204 Member Posts: 1
    I just "dumped" my 2004 Touareg after 11 long months. It had been nothing but trouble. I took it in to be repaired six times with no satisfaction. VW's customer service is terrible. I sought remedy through the lemon law and wrote VW seeking remedy. Instead of trying to fix the problem, one of the VW attorneys wrote me a letter stating that the Tourareg did not fall under the lemon law for my state and nothing was wrong with my Touareg. The next day I traded the Toureg in. (17,000 miles)

I also never got better than 17 mpg (only once) no matter how much highway driving I did. I just bought a 2005 Tahoe and got 18 mpg on a tank of gas and it is not even broken in yet. Another thing, the air conditioner does not cool properly on the Touareg. I could go on and on (front end shaking when I turn, radio buttons sticking, CD stopping and CD won't eject), but I won't.

Both VW and I are in a lose-lose situation. I was disatisfied with VW and I have detered at least 10 people from buying the Tourag. I lost $13,000 in depreciation costs and VW has lost about $400,000 in sales and a customer for life. The dealership where I purchased my Toureg from has given the dealership back to VW, due to lack of customer care on the part of VW corporate.

I hope no one else has to exerience VW as I have.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    1st year models are always a very risky thing to buy when it comes to reliability.
    The Japanese models seem to fare better, but some German cars are notorious for electrical problems.

Also, VW is stepping into some very pricey territory. They were once know as a quality inexpensive cas, and now they're pushing $50,000 high dollar SUV's like the T REG.

The T ReG is a very nice SUV, and it's a shame it's been hampered by some by quality issues.

Just like the American cars with this employee pricing, when you can buy a new 2005 T REG for $8000 off sticker, the resale value on your used car is going to take a beating.
  • jwlookfortregjwlookfortreg Member Posts: 3
    Wow, cars direct, is that a dealer. Where can I find it.
    I would really like a V8. I own a V6. The car is perfect, but I like more of it. Air suspension must be terrific.
    Could you provide em with more infromation where to buy the T-reg.
    Would be very very pleased
    Carsdirect.com is a buying service that actually works with car dealers throughout the united states. Just give them a call or go on their website and they'll try to find the car your're looking for. There's no hassling on price as eveything as everything is pre-negotiated.

http://www.carsdirect.com/home
  • jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    Not rated in the UK, its a costly option and the steel based suspension gives a more comfortable ride because with the air its either too soft or too hard.
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    For most people, the steel suspension is fine, even preferable. Air suspension is good if you tow frequently, especially with heavy loads like a boat, or if you want the extra ground clearance in hairy off-road situations. I'm not sure I agree with you on the ride comfort. I have the air suspension. On the comfort setting, it wallows too much, and as such, is not too comfortable. The sport setting is great for mountain highways etc., but a little harsh for everyday driving, much like the BMW X5 used to be. The auto setting is about perfect, and that's where I leave it most of the time. I like the ability to change settings. The air suspension has a harsh reaction to sharp bumps (potholes) that the steel suspension does not. The air suspension is not necessary to get the kids to soccer or to prowl the mall. I'm guessing repair costs will be high when it comes time to fix the air suspension.
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    I have a 05 V8 Touareg with 12500 miles on it .It has just started to smoke blue smoke when I start it in the morning after sitting over night.The oil level is going down.I have a appointment to take in to the local service center after labor day holiday.Up to this point it never used a drop of oil.
    Any body have any ideas what is going wrong ?
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    "Local service Center"? Does that mean a VW Dealer?
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Test Drove a 2006 V8 Package 3 today. They have dropped the package 5 for 2005 in the V8 and the Package 4 only gives you the locking differential.

The drive was wonderful and the engine sounded great. The only noticeable change is the lack of a luggage rack on the roof and the new back up camera.

The car still has the usual internal lights for the parking distance control, but the new added camera now shows you what is behind the car AND lights will show you where you are going to go based on the direction of the front wheels. So it will show the back of the car and then a image is overlayed that shows the "lines" of where you are aiming. It was nice.

Only weird thing was: We had the radio off and when we put it in reverse, the camera came on AND it turned on the radio. Hopefully not an electrical bug in there!!!
    Today's Car and Driver said the new engine V 6 for the 06 T Reg is supposed to have 276 hp and be 3.6 liters. The VW site is still listing 240.
  • fmendefmende Member Posts: 1
    How would you compare the V-6 to the V-8? Is there that much of a difference in the drive?
    I just dropped off my 2004 V6 Touareg for an oil change and the exhaust failure light this morning. The dealer had many 06's on the lot. No big motor (yet) in the V6. The only change I could see with the 06's was no roof rack, which I think is a good call. The rails are there, so you can fit the Thule stuff on it. Trailer hitch is now only $500. No new colors that I could see. Base price remains about the same.

While I don't dispute Car and Driver, I'm guessing the 3.6 is a mid-year running change that will add some $ to the cost.

To answer fmende, they are night and day. It depends on whether you can afford the approximately $5000 more to buy the car and ?% more for gas, which aint cheap to start with. The V6 is adequate, the V8 is more better. It sounds like the coming 3.6 might be the ticket.
    It all depends on the deal you can get on a closeout 05 V8. Getting $8,000 -9,000 off MSRP can be a better deal than paying closer to MSRP w/ no rebates on the 2006 V6 model.

With gas prices nearing 4 bucks a gallon, I have no doubt that incentives are on the way for 2006 models.
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    Yes
    I thought about that as I was walking the dealer's lot. They must have had about 30 Touaregs. Only about 8 were V6. They even had several new 2004 TDI's. If the incentive for a V8 is $5k more than a V6, I would certainly take the V8 and suffer on the gas. At the time I bought, the best deal was invoice for either car and, since I drive 25000 miles a year, feeding a V8 did not meet my financial objectives. At the time, I was hearing 12-13 mpg averages for V8's. That's kind of thirsty on premium gas.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Today's Wall Street Journal print edition said VW sales were down 19% in the US this year. There's a new US manager tasked with turning sales around (and getting more truck and SUV product to North America). In the meantime, it sounds like it's a buyer's market for a VW.

Steve, Host
    The website is still listing the 2005 specs for the V6. The 2006 model has the 276HP and is 3.6 compared to 2005's 3.2. Same motor block, just with a wider cylinder bore.
    I drove both and took the V8. It all comes down to driving style. If you aren't an aggressive driver, then stay with the smaller motor and better mileage. If you like the feeling of hitting the accelerator on a highway on ramp, or on a pass, and go 40 to 80 in a heartbeat, then the V8 will make you very happy.

The V8 is actually an Audi motor, and is rated by Wards Automotive as one of their top 10 engines.

I look forward to driving to and from work again.
    If you go down to your local friendly VW dealer, you will find the V6's are indeed 3.2 liter, 240hp for 2006. You can expect the 3.6 to show up later for more money.
  • coatiecoatie Member Posts: 1
    After reading all the posts I must be nuts to consider buying one of these ,,but..
    I wonder fi anyone out there has a driven the 2006 model enough to know if the problems encountered in the 2004/2005 models still exist? Some automakers actually "fix" problems when a new model year rolls around..
    I was going to just purchase the Lexus,but it wont fit in my garage. I am going to purchase an SUV,probablyly 6 cylinder.
    Thanks for any advice
    BT
  • someguy1someguy1 Member Posts: 42
    Hey All,

I am hoping to get people's experiences with T-Regs (V6) and Gas Mileage on Highways. It would ultimately be a commuter car for me and I am on a budget. I spend 95% of my time on the highway.

Car anyone help me with real expectations for highways mileage.

Thanks,
    KA
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you search this discussion, you'll find some mpg info. For 30,000 miles, I've averaged 17.9 mpg with a 2004 V6 Touareg in mixed suburban and highway driving. There is no better vehicle to burn highway miles than a Touareg. This is NOT a budget car, however. It uses tires like crazy. Oil changes are $100 each, and scheduled service visits are not cheap either. Depreciation is steep. Overall cost of ownership is in line with other luxury makes, though. I love the car.
  • sixfivesixfive Member Posts: 45
    Can't you go to jiffy lube? It's time for us to change the oil soon and I want to avoid the dealer at all costs.
    I'd go to a dealer. Sometimes these cats at Jiffy Lube look like they're barely out of high school, and they can't have the tools and knowledge to look at other problems. Not to say that JL doesn't have a certain amount of value and do a good job most of the time. But why spend 45-55 grand a car, and be cheap about oil changes?

The T Reg have a large oil capacity, and the filters may be rather expensive.

I'd switch to synthetic and go 5 - 7,500 between oil changes. Buy a few cases of Mobil 1 and bring it to the dealer if you want to save a few bucks.
    '"But why spend 45-55 grand a car, and be cheap about oil changes? "

What kind of oil is in the crankcase when it's delivered? I will only own this thing for 36k miles. I don't plan to invest in Ferdinand's vacation home if I can help it.

The filter alone may have me at the VW dealer as I doubt our one and only mechanic would have them on hand. I actually would never go to jiffy lube but wanted the spin on why I should HAVE to go to the dealer. Having someone yoru trust can save you headaches and money; for that we are fortunate to have one of the best.
    You can go to jiffy lube. I've had iffy luck with such places. They are likely to be a little cheaper than the dealer. When you look at the dealer charging $100, take the following into consideration:
    The car comes with and requires synthetic oil at say $6 a quart. You need 6.
    The filter cartridge at the dealer is $20 and the drain bolt with the washer they want you to replace is $3, I think. You have to remove about 8 or 10 screws to get the skid? plate off, and you need one big [non-permissible content removed] socket (I think it's a 34 or 38mm or something) to get the filter off. 1/2 hour of shop labor is about $50 or more, and it adds up. I did the first one on my Touareg. I may do more, but at middle age I don't necessarily like being on the garage floor like I used to. I'll admit to laziness. It's been to the dealer for the last 5 changes. It is definitely interesting to look underneath. It's a pretty stout machine.
    "After much deliberation, Volkswagen recently announced that it had made a deal to build a new compact SUV at its plant in Wolfsburg."

2007 Volkswagen Marrakesh Gets the Go-Ahead
    (Inside Line)

Of course, if you want to go across the desert by remote control, the Touareg is still the way to go.

Driverless VW Wins $2 Million Robot Race (Inside Line) and here's the CNN version.

Steve, Host
  • hooper1982hooper1982 Member Posts: 2
    I can give you my experience with my 2004 TReg V8:

I have 40K miles on my TReg and I have not had any significant problems with this vehicle. The on-board computer had to be reprogrammed once. Other then that, there have been no problems. This is a great ride and I really love the car. I am 6'6" and the TReg has plenty of room for me.

But.....

The maintenance on the vehicle is very high. I just took it in for the 40K check up and that service cost $1000. There was nothing wrong with the car...it just cost $1000 to do the normal maintenance. I was also told that I need new front breaks (which is quite reasonable for the driving I do). The quote from the dealer is $750. VW says I must replace the pads and rotors. When the rear breaks go I expect they will quote me another $750. $1500 for breaks...Wow!

ES
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    $1000 service on a W? That's absurd!! :sick:
    I've seen quite a few $850 brake job posts for the MB M-Class over the years. I wonder what the Edmunds Maintenance Guide says the 40k service costs for your zip code?

Steve, Host
    I had my very trustworthy mechanic do the oil/filter change for 75. The filter was 18 bucks or something and the service included a tire rotation. I believe it's worth avoiding the dealer prices and I fared rather well having someone I trust. Being Cheap doesn't have to mean skimping..
  • hooper1982hooper1982 Member Posts: 2
    Steve,

The maintenance guide says it should be about $411 for the 40K service in my area. That's not what the dealer charged. $452 in parts, $481 in labor, $56 in Tax. Nothing was broken on the car. This was the scheduled 40K service.

On the positive side, I did get a "free" loaner car.

One of my options in the furture is to opt out of the dealer service and find a local machanic who can work on these vehicles. Not optimal, but given the cost of maintaining this car through VW I will need to do something different.

I would really be curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with their TReg when reaching 40K miles.

Thanks,

ES
    Often the dealer service includes a bunch of stuff that the manufacturer doesn't recommend or require. Some of it may even be valuable to you.

Next time you could specify what you want done instead of asking for the 40k (or 50k, 60k or whatever) service.

Steve, Host
  • richneedsaleasrichneedsaleas Member Posts: 40
    36 mos along with first payment due at signing. You asked for 0 down, correct? $563.97 with first payment only due at signing for your 12k a year. I'll prepare a lease for you on the 2006.

V8 2005 with the Nav system

Any thoughts guys? Or would you just do a loaded RX330 (without the nav) for $500/mo on a 36 12k yr
  • pittsypittsy Member Posts: 15
    My tires just don't have enough life left to see me through the winter. My local tire guy says that the Dunlop's will cost me $300. each to replace and is recommending that I look at the Hankook W300 instead at $175. ea (Canadian Dollars) Has anyone had any experience with the Hankook tires?
  • pandboypandboy Member Posts: 28
    I am new here to this board. I found a used 2005 Touareg V6 with package #3 in a local dealer, listed as $29999. Is this a good deal? How is this SUV reliability? Winter is around corner. I need a 4x4 for the snow in north country.
    Welcome to Edmunds Pandboy. Check the posts over in the Volkswagen Touareg: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.

Steve, Host
    Hankook is pushing the W300 Icebears pretty hard here in Denver. They look ok. My tire guy says they are a good winter tire. They will not likely last even as long as the OEM tires, because they are winter only. My second set of Pirelli Scorpion Zeros is still in good shape, so that's what I'll run this winter on my Touareg.
  • hawaiitreghawaiitreg Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the forum and wanted to ask what kind of fuel others are using in their T-regs.

I just ordered a V8 package three that should be delivered in Jan or Feb and while at the dealer he mentioned that premium fuel is recommended. The car doesn’t have a turbo so I wondered if anyone else was running something other than premium. Here in Hawaii premium is 92 octane. I don’t want to waste money on expensive fuel if it doesn’t need it. However, I am not sure if maybe the engine has a high compression ratio or something and thus the “recommended” premium is “required” like my turbo charged cars have said in their owners manual.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    I am surprised that VW is not offering any end of year incentives at this point. Right now you can get the loaded LX470 for around $62, but the loaded v8 T-Regg will cost you around 56k. I love the car, but they should consider some discounts!!
  • altoonaaltoona Member Posts: 3
    Are "breaks" anything like brakes? They sound the same. Anyway, $750 is close to twice what you should have to pay. Unless your car is leased and you are required to have dealer maintenance, any competent (operative word) shop can hook you up. Your rotors might need resurfacing but pads, labor, and resurfacing should be way under $750.
    Also, on the $1000 40K checkup, from owning six new VWs I have found a wide disparity from dealer to dealer on such costs.
  • 2xtouaregs2xtouaregs Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just found this forum and really looking for your opinions. I have owned 2 touaregs since they came out in 2004. Both cars have been absolute junk and I am currently hoping to get rid of my second one asap.

Both SUV's have been in the shop 5+ times for various problems, many re-occuring.

I am curious to hear if any of you have had such lemons. Please let me know :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    You're late to the party when it comes to complaints about the 2004 model T Regs. The initial quality on the 2004 models is pretty bad, and you only need to look at the problems and solutions on here to find out what a lot of people have experienced.

I've heard the 2005 models seem to be better.
  • hschmidthschmidt Member Posts: 2
    I've owned just one from Feb '04 and have been in the shop more times than I czan count for an array of different problems. None have cost anything ( all under warraenty)but very inconvient. Have even talked to VW customer care, but we'ren't even offered a crumb of help other than too bad, so sad! I've been told that the new ones are better :-)!! Not sure I trust that comment. I love the car, so for now it's a love/ hate relationship. My prior car 'a 94 Explorer with 160MM miles was never in the shop for other than routine maint. Not sure what to do next
  • hschmidthschmidt Member Posts: 2
    I switched to premium fuel and lowered my highway speed to 70mph and increased my mileage to 18-19/gal. Actually, the 19mpg would be more like 65mph on the non-expressway roads. It's not your super high mileage vehicle for a commuter car.
  • joycebjoyceb Member Posts: 1
    We have a love/hate relationship with this car also. While beautifully appointed and powerful, it has been in the shop more than 10 times in two years. We kept hoping for a solution to all it's problems. After staying in the shop for about 6 WEEKS to fix an air conditioning issue,we are done. Currently the fog lights don't work, the CD player shuts off intermittently, I am still getting tire pressure alarm faults, and the compass lights intermittently also. Many of these issues are from the first month of ownership. vw of america is less than helpful. the attorney general was mildly interested and was mediating for us. Alas, VW cannot see what a piece of
    garbage this suv is.
  • rezultzrezultz Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know if the 2006 model is more reliable. I love this car but from reading all the nightmares people have had, I'd be a fool to get it. Has vw fixed these issues in 2006 model? Any 2006 owners out there with lemons?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    :confuse: