Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If a board is inactive for a while it is closed automatically. I have reopened it for you!

tidester, host
  • shouldishouldi Member Posts: 1
    Is there any 2005 owners with lemons?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    But it's not coming this way.

King Kong edition of the Touareg SUV (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    when the new VR6 will be offered in the 2006 T-egg? The info I have seen so far indicates "late" but that was last year and there could be changes (one can always hope) to that schedule. Slightly off topic, but I wonder if that will be the same V6 in the base Q7. Anyone out there know? VWGuild?
  • rkfeeleyrkfeeley Member Posts: 2
    I posted this message in Problems and Solutions but would also like to post here in case that wasn't the right place (my first time posting on these forums).

I am seriously considering purchasing a 2004 V6 Touareg (Premium 2 package) with 17,500 miles. I have read about so many issues in this forum that I'm really hesitating. I love the look and feel of the vehicle but worry about reliability. I'll be using it for some long distance traveling.

1. This car is certified by the dealership. They give my 2 yrs/24,000 additional warranty plus the remainder of the existing warranty. Would a dealership certify a car that has had prior issues?

2. The Carfax History is clean (1 owner, personal use, no accidents, etc.) How reliable are these? I know they won't list VW recalls and don't know if this particular vehicle has ever been recalled.

3. I negotiated to a $29,000 + TTT. Does this sound fair?

4. Finally - the other SUV I'm considering is a pre-owned 2004 Acura MDX Touring. Although I find it boring in comparison, I do think it's more reliable.

I need to make a pretty quick decision. Any insights would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Certainly, the MDX will be more reliable- but, as you say, boring. Also-it has no off road abilities. So, if you're looking for reliable, comfortable transportation- the MDX is probably the way to go.

The T-reg, by almost all accounts: Looks better, drives better, feels better. Granted- it probably won't be the most reliable vehicle on the road. Many of the 'problems' associated with them in the beginning were more annoyances than serious mechanical issues. That, coupled with dealers that didn't know how to fix this new-fangled vehicle created plenty of issues. On the other hand, I have a few friends now with t-regs, and none have had any serious problems. Sure, the tire pressure guages give false alarms, and there are other imperfections. Oil changes aren't cheap either. Think about: 1. how good of service you think you'll get from this dealer, and 2. how you personally, emotionally handle adversity. If little problems are going to drive you nuts, or will you have a passionate relationship with a truly magnificent, one of a kind, SUV.

Oh- read the extended warranty that they're offering you, and make sure you know what it's truly worth. There are all kinds and prices of aftermarket warranties. Some aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Also-I'm no expert on T-reg pricing, but read the 'prices paid' forum and check out what people are getting brand new ones for. (ther are some great deals out there) Sounds like you might be able to do a tad better on the price.
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    As a 2004 V6 Touareg owner since new with 36k miles, I have to ditto what you said, particularly the emotional stuff. Toyotas and Hondas are not totally trouble free, but they are best suited for non-enthusiasts that are interested in reliable transportation. Actually, I've had outstanding reliability and low cost operation over the years with several General Motors vehicles, cars and trucks. Fords, on the other hand, not so much. All the high end stuff has issues, usually related to computers or electrical stuff.

Although I'm a little worried about what happens after the warranty is over (I'm on my 4th cd player), I also know I'm driving exactly the vehicle I wanted. What a joy to drive. By the way, my VW dealer pretty much treats me like a king without my asking. I guess Acura and Lexus are like that too. On the other hand, I dont think VW corporate quite backs up what they've asked the dealers to do. Maybe that will change.
    Does anyone have any word on when we will see the new 280hp V6 in showrooms?
  • vtgobbler99vtgobbler99 Member Posts: 3
    From what I've heard Late Summer/Early Fall.
    he he he.
    That's not a 2006 model then. Early fall is when the 2007 models come out (from other companies).

A bit of Trivia. General Motors invented the 'model year' for cars. Great marketing idea!
  • vtgobbler99vtgobbler99 Member Posts: 3
    The 'model year' stuff is confusing. For example, we were also looking into the Infiniti FX35. You know that they haven't come out w/ their '06 model yet ?! It's scheduled for March !!
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    I just heard that they have stopped production on the 2006's and they are moving forward with rolling out the 2007. From what I hear the V8 2007 will have 340 horses and more updated options. (i.e. Bluetooth)
    "VW Celebrates Touareg Milestone With Exclusive Edition."

Sprechen Sie Bling (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • tryntobuytryntobuy Member Posts: 3
    I've narrowed it down between the 4Runner and the Touareg. I currently have a Pacifica and have been very unhappy with it because of the frequent trips to the dealer for service. I decided that I wasn't going to purchase anything that wasn't rated high on dependability, but I find myself leaning towards the Touareg. I love everything about it, except it's ratings. Are there any owners that can tell me they're worth it? I don't necessarily need to make the change immediately (I was just trying to beat the next trip to the dealer with the Pacifica), so if there is something better coming I can wait.
  • lawboylawboy Member Posts: 9
    I was in the same boat as you just a little while ago; I got an O6 V8 TReg, luv the way it drove and looks etc..., so I cannot attest to reliability yet, mine is to new; but reading posts on this forum and others, seems like V8 has less problems and they seem to have worked out many of the kinks versus the earlier models 04-05; only 2 drawbacks for me so far have been no satellie radio (looking at ways to get installed) and bad gas mileage (oh well, so be it);if you do decide on a Treg and can wait, I would, the 07's are supposed to have bigger engines and some other small changes and you can try one of those and either get that or a great, great deal on an 06'

I hope this helped
    I was deciding between the same two vehicles exactly two years ago and went with the Touareg. I also considered BMW but really wanted more off-roadability. I knew what I was getting into. If you are adverse to visiting your dealer post-sale, even if they treat you nice, don't do it. They are no different than Mercedes or BMW as far as reliability and cost to own. Great drive, but not cheap to keep. I doubt if an '06 or '07 is much different. Probably a dozen visits, most not scheduled, in 24 mos. Still some stuff they can't or won't fix (all computer-related)and I'm on my fourth radio, which is starting to make the odd screech again. I'll wait till it refuses to play cd's before I get another one. It will. That said, I plan to keep mine. The Toy is uncomfortable and small (for a 6'4" 250 pounder). It does drive nicely in Sport Edition, with a V8, but lacks soul, IMHO. The Touareg is a sweet ride.

I just got back from the auto show. There's nothing out there that touches it. The Land Rover LR3 is a bad joke for the money. The BMW X3, Cadillac SRX and Honda Pilot are all pretty nice if you don't need to go off-road.
    Thanks Panzer and Lawboy. You're insight and experience is very helpful. It's interesting about the radio. I had a Passat a couple of years ago and the radio in it was pretty lousy as well. I took it in a couple of times but never pursued a replacement. Maybe in time I would have, we ended up trading it for the Pacifica for more room.

How do your backseat passengers enjoy the ride, any complaints? We have 2 girls, 10 and 15, that love the room and comfort of the Pac.

Thanks again!
  • lawboylawboy Member Posts: 9
    Back Seats, uh, I am not the best qualified on this; no children and only occasionally plan on transportating friends etc.. so don't care as much about the more cramped quarters back there; did not bother sitting in back seats of 4runner; I did seat in back seats of Volvo (smaller) and BMW(a bit larger and seats recline, a big plus if you ask me which VW does not have); I would suggest taking your girls in and having them sit in back while you test drive and see what they think
    About the radio: I have the upgraded stereo. The sound quality is pretty good and is what I expected. The cd player is the part that plain quit on the radio, three times. You can tell when it's about to go, when you hear a quick high pitched sound shot when you are playing a cd that you know was not in the music. Some time after that, it will stop accepting cds, or quit playing. By the way, Delco (GM) makes VW radios.

My little ones are also grown up and have left the nest. My wife thinks the seat is hard in back, but then again, we hardly ever agree on cars or comfort. She has hers, I have mine. I like hard seats, as long as they fit. Whenever I've ridden in back, I 've been comfortable. It is smaller in back than any other 5300 pound car I'm aware of. The 4runner is not bad in back, probably even roomier.
  • klauskklausk Member Posts: 14
    Anybody know anything about a Touareg Diesel? The V10 is not available anymore, was ver pricey too. In Germany they offer a V6, sounds very good. Mercedes will offer the M Class with a 3.2 l I6 diesel this fall. With todays Gas prices and the fuel economy of the t-reg, an economical diesel would be very nice.
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    My son in law who lives in Switzerland has the new V-6 diesel He says it is great.The V-6 diesel is a common rail engine,ultra high injection pressures,with a particulate filter that requires the use of low sulphur fuel. The US trucking industry has stalled the introduction of low sulphur until 07 or 08 in the US. I would think that the V-6 would then be available.
    I understand that the V-10 will be made available in 07.The V-10 is somewhat of a dirty engine and not legal in some states.
  • desertbdesertb Member Posts: 2
    The V10TDI is coming this late summer and will be in all 50 states. It will be a 2006 MY. California may get delivery any time now. As they are slated to get it first.

Rumor is VW is working on bringing the V6TDI to the states but no one knows when yet.
    Thats the one I am waiting for. I have the V6 now no problems in the past year of ownership "Knocks on wood" :)
  • laderakingladeraking Member Posts: 69
    Is there an option for Aluminum or Metal Trim instead of wood?
  • tencjeddtencjedd Member Posts: 44
    I have an 05 V8 with about 17k miles on it. My decision was down to the X5, Touareg, and Pathfinder after owning to Grand Cherokees. While I loved the Pathfinder's room and functionality, the German cars just drove so much nicer. I was hesistant to buy the Touareg based on the early reliability reports, but chalked it up to the usual glitches associated with a brand new model. I waited for them to work out the first year glitches, and then dove in last summer. With 17k miles, I can only report having to go back to the dealer once due to a problem with the passenger side airbag sensor. My son had been sitting in the seat when I started the car, then got out, which deactivated the airbag, and then got back in, which threw the sensor for a loop. Took 30 minutes to correct at the dealer, and it hasn't happened since (and we've tried to set it off again). Otherwise the car has been a joy to own and drive. Oil changes while infrequent (every 10K after the first one at 5k) are expensive if done at the dealer. In the end, the cost is the same if you had been doing it every 3500 miles. I can't say enough about the adjustable air suspension if you really like to drive. Some days you want it to handle tight, some days you want a soft ride. The car has been a pleasure to drive, and the engine sings all the way to redline without skipping a beat. Certainly other people have had worse experiences, but it appears that quality outside of the 1st year has improved greatly.
    Congratulations on your experience thus far. You are rolling the dice with the 10K oil changes. The manual says 5K intervals. If you spin a bearing or something, expect VW to laugh at you. I'm not saying 10k is unreasonable, but it is clearly not taking care of your car by the book. Within 5k or less, you are looking at $1000 worth of tires. I guess most high performance cars eat tires about every 18-23k miles. At 40k (or before) you are looking at brake fluid change, new pads, rotors and sensors on all four wheels, all for $1800. Have you had some $100 wiper blades yet? Have you looked at resales lately? Welcome to the club. I love mine too, but the thing is killing me, and I'm not poor.
    Is it just me...
    or do the rest of you look at the new Hyundai Tucson and think its a pretty good looking little 'ute.

Looks a lot like the Touareg- doesn't it?

(I just said "looks")

They keep catching my eye.
    :shades:
  • klauskklausk Member Posts: 14
    Why can one not do their own oil change? There are drill motor driven pumps available at boat shops, with which you can suck the oil out through the dip stick shaft. I have done that on my Benz E430 and it orks well. Now I have a Benz E320CDI, where the dealer changes oil for me and they suck it out through the dip stick also. I bring him 8 quarts of Mobil One and they change it for $15.00 plus the price for the filter. Why can a Volkswagen dealer not do the same? I will explore that with my local VW dealer when the T-Reg diesel arrives and if he will not do it, I will just opt for a Benz M-Class diesel as soon as they come out.
    I do some of my own oil changes on the Touareg. It's no big deal. Just crank the suspension up to full off-road, take off the undershield and have at it. As far as sucking oil out the dipstick tube, that's not necessary if you are changing the filter, and I hope you are changing the filter, especially with a diesel. Why would you go to the trouble of sucking oil out the dipstick tube when all you have to do is drain it out of the pan before you pull the filter off? You are already about 8 inches away, and I would guess you get more oil out than with a pump. Just my 2 cents.
  • pduddypduddy Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone comment on or have an idea as to when/if the SUV price collapse is coming? I'm patiently waiting and wondering who is dumping inventory ... XC-90's, Explorer, Land Rover, Sequoia etc... any thoughts would be appreciated.

Looking for a great bargain...35k range...$400/month lease range
    Apparently, $3/gallon in the US still isn't high enough to get us to change our lifestyles much. If it hasn't happened yet, perhaps it's not going to. However- the touaregs seem to be going very cheap on the used market. So you may be able to get yourself $50K worth of slightly used 'egg for mid 30's.
    Thanks for your input. We still haven't made a decision, the PAC has actually stayed out of the shop since my last post. With the price of gas, I'm just finding it hard to take the plunge. I find myself driving our Jeep Liberty more often even though it's not much better on gas. So right now I'll keep admiring as they drive by!
  • jkrug9jkrug9 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 V6 Touareg and am in the market for new tires. I have 33,000 miles on my Dunlop ST8000's (which wore slightly better than bicycle tires on a mustang) and am on borrowed time. Has anyone had particularly good luck with anything else out there? Certainly not going to get another set of these. Any input is appreciated.
    You win. I only got 23,000 miles on my ST8000's. You won't find anything with H or V rating that will last longer than you got out of your Dunlops. I've got 20,000 on my second set of tires (Pirelli Zeros) and they are on or near the wear bars in the center. I expect to replace them (or the car) by winter (another 4-6,000 miles). Dealers are putting the other Dunlops (200?) on their certified cars. I guess they are cheaper and wear better than the SP8000's according to my service manager. Michelin makes their Cross Terrain in our size, but it is only rated S. They wear like iron and behave decently in rain and snow. I have them on my kid's Trooper. It might be tough to get a tire dealer to put S rated tires on a Touareg because they are supposed to have H or V speed rated tires. By the way, save up a few bucks for your new brakes. That's a budget buster.
    "The 2007 Touareg SUV in dealers now is what Volkswagen refers to as an "early 2007." It's essentially unchanged from the 2006 Touareg except for a new base 3.6-liter V6 in place of the '06 model's 3.2-liter engine."

The second coming of the 2007 Volkswagen Touareg (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • jholleyjholley Member Posts: 3
    I just pirchased a Touareg for my wife. We found a 2006 V8 with 10,000 miles on it and are very happy with it. It does have the most complicated electronics system (nav,system controls, sccessory settings) I have ever seen in an automoblle.
    When we put the car in reverse not only does the backup camera come on but the radio comes on as well. My dealer says this is the same as all of them. I find this hard to believe and can think of no reason why this should happen. Any Help? (The radio goes off when you shift fron reverse to drive.)
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    It's probably just a case of the backup camera system being poorly integrated into the system electronics. My guess is that the camera and video screen don't have a separate switch for power and rely on the radio being on to operate. Thus, when you go to reverse, it automatically switches on the radio to get its power.

I would think a dual-path power source to the screen would solve the problem. One path controlled by the radio power switch and the other controlled by the reverse gear switch. Basically, it could be run inline with the reverse lights. The problem with running it that way would be that the second power path would have to be defeated by the primary power path if it is active. In which case, you'd have no reverse lights.

But anyway, it could be more logically integrated but VW chose not to.
    My service book has the oil changes as : 5k, 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k...etc. No different than what the intervals would have been had I bought the X5. I certainly questioned the dealer, and their response was, with the synthetic oil, no need to change every 5k after the first two.

I had 1 wiper blade replaced under warranty due to a dead spot in the blade, and have used RainX since, which has greatly improved wiper performance. If I had a complaint it would be the auto-rain sensor is unreliable.

As for $1800 brakes, I look at it this way...I'm driving a 310HP, $55k car which weighs 2.5 tons empty. Good brakes are a small price to pay for safety. I had a minor fender bender when a woman made an illegal left hand turn in front of me. What should have been a major head on was almosted avoided because the car stopped on a dime. Now you want to talk expensive...a cracked headlight lens, scratched bumper, curb rashed 18" alloy, and front quarter panel set her insurance company back $5500.
    Mine came with Conti 4x4 Contacts. I got 20k out of them, which seemed to be "average" based on other people's experiences. Full time 4x4 will always wear tires faster than a vehicle that allows you to control 4x2 vs. 4x4 mode (which my last 2 Grand Cherokees did - the SelecTrac 4x4's always enjoyed better tire wear).

I ended up buying Toyo Proxes S/T's which are 109V rated. More than enough for the Treg's load and speed. Tire dealer gave me a 30 day return guarantee since I was skeptical, but have to say these tires have been great. Treadwear rating of 420, so I'm expecting about 30k miles out of them. We'll see. Not so sure they would be great snow tires since there is no siping in the tread design, but I was able to pick up an additional set of take-off 18" Manhattans on the Club Touareg Forum for $500 (for all 4), and put a set of dedicated snows (Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows) for $759/set installed. They get great reviews on both 1010tires.com and Tirerack.com. Actually looking forward to the first snow fall.
    It's actually an inherent design flaw in the Nav Radio system. Much the same way you can't run the Navigation system without the radio or CD player being engaged. They can't be seperated from one another.
    The oil gets pretty dirty in 5k miles. I change every 5-7k because I do mostly drives over 10 miles with very little stop and go. I think that's reasonable.

The auto rain sensor could be better.

To have rotors and pads on all 4 wheels toast at 40k miles, that's a bit excessive. I am not an aggressive driver, mostly highway and easy suburban. Pads at 30-40k and rotors at 60-80k would be a little more like it. While my rotors were just in spec, they would have never made it through another set of pads, hence replacement. The brakes are indeed good, but not that good. Five cents a mile just for brake consumables? I think that's nuts. After this one's sold, it will be a long time before I look at VW's again.

Parts for all cars are ridiculously high. I'm happier when I have to buy fewer rather than more.
    If I were keeping mine, I might get dedicated ice and snows for winter. All season tires are a little sketchy in the slippery stuff, on any car, compared to the ice and snow tires. Dunlop Winter Sports turned our CTS into a snow hog. Might even take it skiing some time. When I was back east this summer I saw two Touaregs with Michelin Cross Terrains, which have a lot of siping. I've had them on another SUV for years and like them in the snow, even though the tread pattern is not that aggressive. My new Explorer (company car) has the cross terrains and they are pretty quiet. I doubt that they would really take advantage of the handling capability of the Touareg. They howl a bit on hard cornering. They do wear like iron though.
    Facelifted 2007 VW Touareg (Straightline)

The Inside Line story is here:

Paris Preview: Volkswagen Tweaks the Touareg
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    sorry, your wrong according to the VW manual, take another look.
    You sound a bit bitter about your T-Reg.
    I am the biggest pain to satisfy with cars,trucks,Suv's.
    We came to Florida from Vermont with a Jeep Wagoneer Limited, Land Cruiser. WE now have also a Wrangler and a 06 Xterra for my daughter upstate NY in college.
    I read all the bad things about the T-Reg and waited two xtra years til the '06 came out with the excellent help of VW customer service telling me which was the official 'o6.
    I drove one on the dirt,pity the salesman, my wife said,tighten your belt as we took off,with 2 police vehicle watching the fun a s I also drove it dead into a deep sand
    pile. Then put it into 4 x4 and very slowly drove it out.
    Her vehicle was green and taupe,took a plane to a dealer who I spoke with over the phone,he guaranteed me the price,picked me up at the airport with her vehicle,back to the dealeship as I called her and said it looks super. After signing and giving a check,I drove out after reading the break in, I loved it, do not drive the vehicle more than 120 mph the first 3000 miles, I found a dirt 8 lane future highway under construction, so I jumped into it, switched to 4 wheel,called her on the cell,she threaten my life if I got it dirty,only had to drive it 980 miles. Got to the end, on to highway and kicked it in the butt to 3 digits,WOW, I had drive race cars for 9 years for Jaguar,MB amd Dodge. This T-reg at 100+ was grand.
    Got it home,all my kids also got to drive it to school and 16K miles later after two oil changes,THE MAJOR PROBLEM, the garage door opener didnt work,humm, she broke a piece of plastic when putting the rear seats down,my wife drops
    stuff,and the computer just got nuts,which took a service call to fix,my wife destroys brakes, tires, she parks with the go into system,Oh,the first time coming home with the colored light array inside was outstanding,there is too much junk but who cares,it drives great. I tried to get my yougest interested in one but its an old ladys car she
    says. We are still on the first set of brake pads. Her T-Reg is the 6 cyl with the added HP,I think its fine for her,the V8 must be grand but in this country there's nowhere to push it. We are moving back up north to the mountains next year and I will be stealing hers this winter to go skiing with.Oh, I will be changing the tires to a more aggressive tread,there goes 100+.
    I do not know what your service manual says, but for my 2004 Touareg, the oil change intervals are, indeed, 5000 miles. It is possible that's been changed for 2006, because 5000 miles is conservative for synthetic oil, particularly for someone that puts a lot of miles on the car in a year, like I do.

I stand by everything I said. It's all true. You will find out for yourself. I never said the car is not impressive on or off the road. There is nothing on the road that matches it, even today. All that comes at a price, and I'm not willing to pay the money or time to keep it rolling. Oh, and by the way, let me know what you get on it when you trade-in. My dealer offered me 43 percent of MSRP for my 30 month old, 45k mile Touareg. I should have leased it.

It's for sale if you want another one.
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • tukrickertukricker Member Posts: 1
    Hey wanted to inquire about your replacement touareg, did vw ever give you a new one? I am having a different problem but have been back to the dealership many times, my trans shifts so hard and so jerky the vehicle lunges in traffic, unsafe to drive, wanted to know if VW finally worked with you or not?
    You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest.

You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: VW Touareg SUV. When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If there doesn't appear to be a discussion for the issue or problem you have, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you are at the top-level, don't forget to click on Track This Group. You will then be tracking all of the VW Touareg SUV discussions that are here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using Read New Posts will mean you won't miss anything on the VW Touareg SUV board. If a discussion pops up which doesn't interest you (or is closed), all you have to do is click on Remove Track within the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great resource of information for VW Touareg SUV owners!

Be sure to drop into VW Touareg: Meet the Members! to stay in touch with other members.

tidester, host
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Volkswagen Touareg
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • champ203champ203 Member Posts: 4
    We have had 3 VW's Jetta, Eurovan, 05 Passat TDI...

My wife wants to be back in a SUV and I am having a hard time justifying the Toureg versus the Chevy Tahoe. Obviously somewhat of an apple to oranges comparison but that's what its come down to.

1) We live in the south so the AWD is not a necesity and we have priced the Tahoe w/wo AWD. Any other thoughts on this?? Is the AWD the reason that so many current owners complain about poor tire life?? and low fuel economy?

2) Are the later models reliability records any better than the 03/04 models??

3) Do you have to use premium unleaded?? Does it void the warranty if you don't?

4) Obviously GM's 100K warranty bests the VW 60K warranty any rumors on VW matching the GM offering....

Help me make sense of all of this...is there a safety advantage (crash protection) that makes the VW a winner?? I have loved our VW products and the service from our dealer has been great (although lately pricey) but for the same $$ or less the Chevy seems to be luring us away from the fold....

Thanks,
    Don