Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• Options
    big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I had the chance to swing by Dave Strong Volkswagen here in SLC over the weekend and was able to take a good look at several Touaregs they had there at the dealership being prepped for a press event. They had several V6 and V8 models there.

I was able to sit in the driver seat of one of them and found it to be quite roomy. I am 6'-7" tall and had plenty of head and leg room. As a matter of fact, I didn't have to move the drivers seat all the way back in order to be comfortable in the drivers seat. There was not a lot of leg room in the second row but there was much more room than I thought there would be. I really liked the looks of the vehicle and came away quite impressed. I only wish I could have take one out for a test drive . . . maybe I could get somebody to fake me some press credentials and I could slip in and take it out on the test courses? A little jaunt down to Moab for some off-road adventures and some travel time around the valley and canyons of SLC to test it's on-road manners. Sounds like a lot of fun to me!
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    OK so I configured a Toureg on vw.com.

There is a select-able box that says On*star N/A; it allows itself to be selected and then carries through to the final quote.

Does the N/A mean North America and does the fact that it shows up as a $0 cost option mean that it is "standard" no charge option? What?!?

Anyway -- my allroad, which with all options + plus zero tires and plus a "full paint treatment" had an MSRP of $51+K, seems to be "less car" -- I mean really the Toureg would have 19" wheels and tires, a full screen, apparently, Sat Nav, heated steering wheel, bi-xenons (I have low beam xenon only) an 11 speaker audio system, a 6speed tip.

The Toureg would have that sweet Audi 4.2L V8 too!

All for the same money as mine, all in all.

Hmmm.

Now get this boys and girls -- Audi is just now bringing the V8 allroad to the market. Whattya wanna bet it will be $54+K -- and will have only 300HP.

Perhaps, and I CAN see this, they are different purpose vehicles -- the allroad is mostly sedan and a little bit SUV and the Toureg is the opposite.

Whew, this confuses me and I study this stuff.

Now, while we're at it, add to the VW Audi mix a new VW the RS32 which liberally adopts TT bits, has the same engine and many of the same "intentions" and capabilities (and BOTH will be AWD) the VW will be just south of $30K -- the Audi will be just north of $40K. OK so the Audi can have sat nav and apparently the VW can't.

Is this the contemporary version of the kind of stuff that used to go on in the marketplace when Plymouth had the Road Runner and Dodge had the Super Bee or Pontiac would come out with a GTO and Oldsmobile would come out with a 442 Judge?

I wonder who is Plymouth or Oldsmobile in this [the Audi VW] scenario?
  • Options
    ohiosuvohiosuv Member Posts: 33
    FYI, my dealer called me today and said that two Touaregs designated for their dealership are in the "port" and would be at the dealership by month end. He also said that he and other dealers are going to Phoenix next week for training on the Touareg and to review the pricing plans. So we should know much more in the next few weeks and might actually be able to drive these things very soon.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    The N/A means not available...TODAY..."OnStar" will be a Dealer Order option only and SOP...Start of Production with "OnStar" will be August 18th, 2003(Week#34)

The Dealer Order status is secondary to the "Do I really need this?" concept...VWAG wants the Dealer to take resonsibilty for the number of "OnStar" equipped Touaregs & Phaetons they have in their inventories...I gather it ain't cheap...
  • Options
    jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    I was at the launch and drove them all week. Great job VW.

Watch out everyone else.
  • Options
    for the Touareg is available today...
  • Options
    I've had my prices for over a month. You just got yours today?!
  • Options
    out handles the X5 4.4 on the track and the Range Rover in the bush......
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    how does it compare with the fx45 in handling/acceleration?
  • Options
    On my allroad, On*star was, as I recall MSRP $699.00 which includes 1 year of the safe and secure plan which is $240, as I also recall.

I would think that On*star would be a "hot" option -- I love mine. I look at it as another valuable safety feature and now that I understand some of the Virtual Advisor features, they, too, are way cool.
  • Options
    $939.00, or in English...$1000, is not something that VWOA/VWAG wanted to randomly add. This is why it is a Dealer based option...If the Dealer orders it; there is no one to complain to...

I do agree that it will be popular, but if you consider the overall market penetration of HomeLink with a variety of car makers, and a price of only $115.00 and the relative lack of interest, my experience, it is a wise decision.
  • Options
    I can't wait to test drive the Toureg, perhaps it will be better received and marketed than the W8 Passat. Now, the RS32 has to be hot, adverts or no.
  • Options
    Sadly, the W8 received absolutely ZERO marketing support...At least there is now a very small window at vw.com about the 6 Speed Manual...

Very peculiar to me...
  • Options
    superdonsuperdon Member Posts: 16
    I am A U.S. military member stationed in Korea.
    Several companies such as BMV, Volvo, and now Volkswagen offer state side returning service members vehicles at about 2% over invoice. I looked at the Volvo XC90 but I love the Touareg. I am a little worried about what options to get as well as the resale value of this new vehicle. Is the 19inch rims worth it at $1200 or the Xenon lights at $650.00? I have an 8 cylinder model on order with the convenience package with a Sept. delivery out the door for $39,000. That should be a big saving reguardless of resale. In the back of my mind I have been thinking about the new BMW 5 series which It would be about the same price for the inline 6 model. I feel that the Bimmer might have a higher resale. This is the first production year for both vehicles so you take your chances with both. The BMW also has free maintenance for 4 years a definite plus. So car or SUV, Touareg or 5 Series both at about invoice???????? what to do what options??? Hum
  • Options
    stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    superdon:

they really are two different cars. re-sale/residual is almost definately going to be higher on the bmw. and the early reviews on the 5 series seem to say it is a great car.

With the T-reg, like the bimmer, its gotten great reviews. but do you carry around stuff - dogs, bikes, etc...??? the t-reg will be better for that. Bimmer will be quicker (much) and gas milage will be much better.

so i guess its your needs - but a lot of people often put that aside when choosing a new car - and your wants...

i've got a 3-series now that im trading in on a t-reg as i need more room. there are more practical choices (wagons ...) but t-reg lust is very high right now...

good luck

and that discount you receive sounds great!
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I read in a web site that I cant recall that the V10 will be available next year, price will be around 51,000$, does anyone have any concrete knowledge. Seems like there are all kinds rumors about the V10 all contradicting each other, I am seriously interested,
    Thanks
  • Options
    STGRREN THANKS FOR YOUR ADVISE. WHICH TOUAREG MODEL ARE YOU GOING TO BUY? THE VEHICLE IS PRETTY HEAVY SO I DECIDED TO GO FOR THE 8 CYLINDER, PLUS MY SISTER HAS AN MDX AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH HER. I STILL WONDER IS THE 8 CYLINDER REALLY WORTH IT? FOR THE MOST PART MOST PEOPLE SAY NO BECAUSE I DON'T PLAN ON DOING ANY OFF ROAD DRIVING OR TOWING.

I STILL HAVE NOT SEEN THE TOUAREG IN PERSON. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE? DOES THE STEREO UP-GRADE COME WITH A CD CHANGER? IS THE FACTORY STEREO GOOD ENOUGH?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Ouch! The CAPS hurt my eyes! I need to save them for my first Touareg sighting!

tidester, host
  • Options
    At the VW web site, the V6 with Premium Package prices out to $37,715 and the V8 (which comes with the premium stuff standard) prices out to $41,315. That's only $3,600 difference, whereas there appears to be a larger difference with most other vehicles going from a V6 to a V8. Given the relatively higher weight of the vehicle and the modest price difference, I am likely to go with the V8. The V8 also has 18" wheels vs. 17" with the V6 and the intererior wood is a higher grade in the V8. In addition, for some reason I expected the V6 to price out around $40K and the V8 to be about $45K, so compared to what I expected the vehicle is less expensive. (But still not inexpensive for a VW nameplate!)

re: superdon - I wonder also if the standard stereo includes a CD changer - it does not appear to as the language says "six discs CD changer preparation in cargo area". There is no reason to have the word "preparation" if they were including a CD changer there. Also, the upgraded Sound System I gives no indication that this even includes a CD changer. Then again, nowhere does is give the cost to add a CD changer, so maybe they do mean that there is a CD changer in the cargo area, but have just worded it badly. I guess we will find out soon.
  • Options
    I am getting the impression that it the Touareg does not come with a CD changer. I went to the Infiniti web site which allows you to compare the Touareg to the FX45. In the comparison they placed an X in the CD changer block for the Touareg which means it's not available. There was some mistakes they made like, they stated the Touareg did not come with an alarm, so there I still a chance they are wrong!!! If it does not come with a changer even with an up-graded stereo, what does that say for the stock stereo? is it premium or not. The up-graded stereo is 300 watts what is the stock specs???
  • Options
    I would be shocked if this did not come with a CD changer. No car at this price would not have one. I have to believe their choice of words was simply poor. Nevertheless, dumber things have been done by auto companies. I would not put any credence on the FX website (or any other auto manufacturer) which compares their vehicle to the competition.
  • Options
    blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Mark, a day or so ago you mentioned a dualed dealership with a Les Nessman wall separating the two lines. The guy who posted after you used the same term.

OK, what is a Les Nessman wall?
  • Options
    is a Dealer installed accessory, and is not Standard Equipment...
  • Options
    Yes, I believe the changer is installed at the dealer, but again what are you getting in the stereo up-grade besides ONE extra speaker?

I am now in Korea and won't be back to the U.S. until Aug. Has anyone out had any HANDS ON with the Touareg? I have one on order but I still wonder about quality issues. Car And Driver sayes it's the best SUV at the moment but I could get the new style BMW530i for the same price. Both VW and BMW offer vehicles to U.S. overseas service members at about 10% under MSRP. That's about the only perk for a year in Korea. I just want to make the best choice!!! The BMW also has a changer that is installed at the dealer, I checked with the military sales rep. here. For $43,000 hum?
  • Options
    If the CD changer is a dealer installed option, why does it not show up as an option on the VW website? What is the cost for this CD changer?
  • Options
    is stowed in the back behind the spare...I would put the cost at $400-$500, but because we don't have any yet I cannot be sure...If the compartment is small; it may use the changer from the New Beetle Convertible...will let you know on Wednesday night...I'll be in Phoenix at the last Touareg Drive...
  • Options
    While you are there, could you check and report on the following:

1)availability/cost of rear spoiler
    2)availability/cost of wheel-well molding (if not included already)
    3)availability/cost of cargo cover
    4)will satellite radio be built into audio?
    5)do the rear seats recline?
    6)will loaner cars be available for warranty work?
    7)a casette player does not appear to be included in the audio package - is this true?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance if you can get any or all of these answers!!
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Unless you are picking up a 530i without any option, I am not sure if you will be able to have it for 39,000. Although I have not seen the 2004 spec. sheet, based on my experience with 2002 model, it will likely cost 3,000 to 4,000 more easily with a few options. Military/Diplomat sales price does not give you discount on any of the options.
  • Options
    No I can get the new 530i for about 43,000 out the door with the pre, pack and the sport pack. The V-8 Touareg is $40,000 with the conv. pack.

I already put my money down on the Touareg so we will see.
  • Options
    Baby, if you ever wondered, wondered whatever became of me. . .

I'm livin' "on the air" in Cincinnati, Cincinnati WKRP.

Les Nessman was the nerdy newsman on a quirky sit-com about a radio station in Cincinnati named WKRP (there is no such station by the way).

Les was always complaining that he didn't have an office with a door -- so he put a tape stripe on the floor around his desk and made people "pretend" that they saw walls and a door.

It was kind of a running gag on the show -- which, does live on in re-runs and still is funny. And remember that show is where we first saw the beautiful Lonnie Anderson, who played the receptionist who "apparently" spent her days primping and fending off the advances of the sales manager, the plaid suit & white belt wearing Herb Tarlick.

Sorry for the arcane reference, but I thought that that reference -- the "Les Nessman wall" -- was about as well known as the phrase "honey, I'm home, where are you? I'm upstairs Ward with Wally and the Beaver!"
  • Options
    buckaroo067buckaroo067 Member Posts: 22
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Toureg does not have an in-dash cd changer. I currently have a ML320 which is a $40k plus car. The cd-changer is only offered in the rear compartment.

My main interest in the Toureg is for its towing capacity. I want to tow my boat but do not want to have to move up a size to a Yukon, Tahoe, Expedition, Etc.

Having said that, and after seeing the size of the Cayenne, I'm a little bit skeptical as to whether or not the Toureg will have adequate storage in the rear.

My local dealer is scheduled to have on in the showroom next week, so I guess I'll find out then.
  • Options
    The VW website now has information on the Touareg at vw.com. It shows cargo capacity to be 71cf, about 10-12 less than the MDX, XC90 and Murano, but more than the X5 and certainly the FX(60).
  • Options
    I was thinking of what VW is try to do by up-grading their car line-up. I have no doubt that they are quality vehicles, the Touareg and the Phaeton but what about service and reputation? What I mean is why did VW not follow Toyota and Nissan's lead and make another company like Lexus and Infinti. I just can't see a guy paying $80,000 for a new Phaeton getting a Jetta as a loaner when his car is getting serviced. I owned a Lexus GS300 and service at the dealers was outstanding. I just down see how VW can measure up without creating a new company such maybe "VW ELITE". All I am saying is if you spend 40K-80K on a car you now come to expect 40K-80k service and treatment. VW needs to learn from Honda-Acura, Ford-Lincoln, GM-Cadillac etc.
    I hope they can do it the way they have planned my Touareg is on order but I see some flaws in what they are attemping to do
  • Options
    scbryanscbryan Member Posts: 6
    VW did create another car company for high end cars...ITS CALLED AUDI.
  • Options
    The Phaeton Customer will not get a Jetta, or a Golf, or any other carline product, unless they request it.

When Service is required, a Phaeton loaner will be delivered to the Customer, and their Phaeton will be picked up...
  • Options
    tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    When will the Touareg start hitting dealers on the east coast??
  • Options
    Will there be a Phaeton "sport"?
  • Options
    I have the same concern as superdon - will the service be commensurate with the price of the vehicle and how can that be accomplished in the same dealership that services a Jetta? When you buy an Acura or Lexus, service is a given and so is the "quality" and character of the sales and service personnel. How is the same person at VW going to give "premium" service to Touareg buyers and then give "standard" service to everyone else? It's save to assume we Touareg buyers will get the same "standard" VW service. As long as we assume that going in, we should not be surprised when we are disappointed later with the lackluster service.
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Service, a Jetta or a Touareg or a Phaeton should receive the same service, expert and quality technicians.

As far as what happens to the customer of a high end vehicle that is another story, in my case I don’t need a red carpet treatment, just a decent clean facility and don’t harass me while I am milling around.

I found another link to the V10 Touareg, it says the V10 will be available early next Spring, is it realistic?

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=43013
  • Options
    VW by some accounts is at "bottom" with respect to its reputation as a Premium Service company. Of course, VW does not own the individual dealerships.

VW and Audi both are "raising the bar" for the dealer body -- i.e., if a current dealer wishes to remain a dealer there are things that have to be accomplished over time. A dealer who is unable or unwilling to comply with the directives will not continue as an Audi or VW dealer.

Time will tell if this march up-market will fly -- I'm betting it will.

Also, are we dissing Jetta's? Here at my company we have a summer intern -- he has a black late model Jetta with leather and a V6 engine. The car's back seat is pretty pitiful but the car overall is rock solid as far as I can tell.

Seems every bit as Germanic or Teutonic as an Audi or Bimmer. The price of the car should not determine the caliber of service -- at least that's what I think.

W8 Passats, Phaetons and Touregs -- next the RS32, who knows what next after that?!?
  • Options
    dwgutwirdwgutwir Member Posts: 132
    Well, at least you know someone else got the Les Nessman reference. WKRP was one of my favortite shows growing up.

Interesting comments about the allroad v the Touareg. I never really thought of them as competitors - its an interesting mental exercise.

I guess it depends on what a person needs/wants from a car.
  • Options
    420HP W12 not enough ooomph?
  • Options
    I certainly think 420HP is plenty of power -- I was wondering about the sport suspension aspect of the word "sport" -- today, an S8 gets a wee bit more horsepower (360) than an A8 normal -- but the S8 gets the Brembo brake treatment and a sport suspension.

I was interested in that aspect.

I doubt I will ever pay the premium for 12 cylinders, especially here in Orange Barrel Heaven (or Haven) where all that power and speed potential could be so rarely used.

I actually felt that my A6 4.2 and my current 2.7T allroad have pretty decent oooomph! More would be nice -- say like in an S6 (340HP) but the bigger the engines, the more likely they are to come with auto transmissions.
  • Options
    VW didn't create Audi; seperate companies, seperate factories. To say that they created Audi is like saying Time Warner created AOL. Two seperate companies, same board of directors....
  • Options
    Audi and VW are separate companies -- but there IS a lot of "sharing" going on between them. And, I believe Audi is "wholly owned" by VW AG.

Now, however, do not think for a moment that Audi and VW are THAT lovey dovey. . .I toured the Audi plant (6 times now) and have eaten in the "exec" dining room 4 times -- the Audi execs consider VW a competitor.

I made the quip that a Passat was sort of like an Audi A5 and you would've thought I insulted someone's lineage. I was politely corrected -- "der Passat borrows from der A4, but they are NOT the same lineage." Or words to that effect.

I quickly changed the subject, but the sentiment is to differentiate the VW line from Audi.

"You see Mark, Audi is dynamic and competes with BMW and VW is classic and competes with Mercedes (or will be soon and VW aims to provide 95% of the Mercedes content at no more than 80 -85% of the Mercedes price.)" Sure enough the Phaeton was soon thereafter announced. Then came the Toureg.

Based on what I have read and seen -- the Toureg certainly lives up to that billing when compared with the Merceces SUV (M Class). Don't know yet about the Phaeton -- early reports don't say many nice things about the Phaeton -- er, its kind of like the Phaeton is still in "beta test mode."

Hope it is ready for prime time when it hits the US shores. Phaeton could really help VW in its up market march or it could give VW a black eye.

If the car falls flat on its face, and assuming it is every bit as good -- but different -- than an Audi A8. . .who knows you may be able to pick one up for a substantial off list price.

Of course, if that happens -- think some of Cadillac's attempts and the discounts that were then granted on them -- it will mean that VW took three steps forward and two giant steps backward and will have to "try, try again."
  • Options
    tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    I pulled a (failed) rear shock off of my Passat last weekend and it had four rings which were all connected stamped on it. Hmmmmm.
  • Options
    I was watching Directv last nite and cruising around the channels -- saw a Toureg ad. Pretty cool. Then I watched CSI and Without a Trace and unless I was not paying attention too closely, I am certain I saw another -- different -- Toureg ad on "broadcast" TV too.

Both ads ended "coming soon" -- they were teaser ads to be sure, but where oh where are the W8 ads, the Audi allroad ads -- VW/Audi don't have too much exposure (other than that guy licking the door handle of a Silver Jetta he is lusting after.)

Oh yea, the other dumb VW ad -- the guy running and in the background there are VW's -- and the ad's tag line is "you're closer to a VW than you think."

I like the VW ad where the Golf is up in the tree and they throw a shoe at it to make it fall down.

VW Audi ads seem to NOT focus much on the cars -- at least that's my impression.

What are they thinking?
  • Options
    mliongmliong Member Posts: 231
    I hope the Touareg does have an in-dash CD player, it's inexcuseable not to have one.

If a Camry has an in-dash 6CD player, why can't VW do the same?
  • Options
    will NOT have an in-dash CD changer...Construction of this vehicle and the anticipated popularity of the sophisticated NAV System preclude that feature...However; a 6 Disc CD Changer will come Standard with the NAV System...

And, this is not a Camry...That is for sure...:)
  • Options
    mliongmliong Member Posts: 231
    That makes a lot of sense... I'm sure the NAV feature will be very popular.

I assume the NAV feature will be a factory install only, right?