Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• geoffd1geoffd1 Member Posts: 21
    I think Jamie indicated that the TDI would be coming this way in the 2nd year of
    production...Disappointing, but I believe this has something to do with Fed Law Changes regarding Diesel #2 Fuel and cleaning up as it is in Europe and the fact that Diesel truck emissions are different than passenger cars...
    The performance level of diesels in Europe is fantastic. Those engines don't work over here on our lousy high-sulfur fuel. The trucking lobby has managed to stall requirements for better diesel fuel for years and it's only now starting to happen.

Personally, I'd love to own a turbodiesel-powered SUV. Great mix of fuel economy, torque for towing, and durability. Rumor has it that Dodge is planning to put a Cummins in their Durango soon. Toyota has always had a really strong diesel in the Land Cruiser but it doesn't get imported to North America.
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    I think that volkswagen North America should bring a smaller diesel like a six here.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    *AUTOWEEK* for July 15th for a review & 1st Drive.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I would not hesitate to buy the diesel version, those 550lbs/ft of torque coupled with those sweet European diesel engines are a deligth. A few months ago I had the opportunity to observe in person an ML400 cdi, at first I tought it was some kind of turbine experimental vehicle, the engine only made a soft whine type of noise, even at iddle, not that clackiting rattling can full of marbles sound typical of US diesels. Maybe most American still have in their memories the old smoky diesels of the 80's, but that is history, a new generation of common rail and pre-combustion chambers, ligth weigth, all aluminum, high rpm, along with many other improvements has emerged in Europe that rival gasoline engines in smoothness and acceleration plus the high torque and long life of a diesel, to the point that in some European countries diesel engines account for 40% of new sales, while diesel engines here remain the same old archaic, heavy weigth brute engine.
    Because of the deplorable diesel in this country we have to miss the opportunity to choose from one of those diesel engines, I say lets give the diesel clean up project to the snails and we may speed up things.
    You mean ML270 CDI. That's the only diesel Mercedes offers for the ML, and it's only for overseas use.

Bob
    Yes Mercedes make the 400CDI, I saw them while I was visiting the factory in Alabama.

An encounter with the ML 499CDI.

http://207.182.236.112/default.asp?id=1&ACT=5&content=8&mnu=1

Interesting! This must be a new engine, as I have not heard of it before. Will it be available here in the USA?

Thanks for the link. :)

Bob
    Any new info on the Touareg.
  • carjunkcarjunk Member Posts: 10
    try autoweek.com, the july 9 issue.
    you can also get to it by reading the phaeton story and looking at the links displayed.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...3 of them yesterday on a car carrier parked behind the commuter rail station we used yesterday.

There was a truckload of new VW's and 3 of them were wagon/SUV shaped vehicles completely wrapped in the shipping plastic except for the front and rear windows. You couldn't see a thing. I don't follow this topic - I know of this vehicle but it was odd to see them wrapped up like that.

Of course Boston is a huge import location for VW's so it doesn't suprise me to see them here. The port location is near my office so I like to go by there at times to see what's coming off the boat.
  • pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    The new issue (September?) has a positive review of the Touareg (other then the name - talk about manufacturer's arrogance!) as well as the Phaeton.
    Their going to be an Audi suv based on the volkswagen touareg, if the is touareg going to be priced 35,000 to 50,000 and the porsche cayenne is priced from 60,000 to 90,000 thats not leaving any room for the audi suv.
  • mliongmliong Member Posts: 231
    believing that anyone will be using half the techno-features of the Touareg.

If people hardly even take their $25-$30 SUVs off the road, I doubt anyone would for the $50+K Touareg!
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Anyne having any photos or info on colors - pls post or provide links. Also some authoritative info on the US availabilty of the TDI's, would be nice.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    I'm still waiting and hoping for some new and maybe a little bit more detailed info' in respect to the NA model content, availability, etc.

Heres a few bits and pieces which have been made available lately:

Article on the September 26th world premier of the Touareg at the Paris Motor Show:

Click here for article

New pics from VWVortex:

Offroad--

Click here for offroad pic 1

Click here for offroad pic 2

Click here for offroad pic 3

Closeup of the NAV--

Click here for closeup of NAV

Can anybody else provide more information or details? I'd especially be curious if it will be available with a 6-speed manual ...there's been conflicting reports about this.

TIA

--'rocco

there will be a 6-speed, manual and automatic, but the manual will not come Stateside.

Bob
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds' coverage of the Tourareg at the Paris Auto Show is here.

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• wolfeye155wolfeye155 Member Posts: 2
    I know that I wouldn't pay 50,000 for a VW. I know that they are very nice cars but when you start getting to that much money, why not go for a BMW or Mercedes-Benz? The Touareg and Phaeton look like extremely nice cars, I just know that I personally would have a hard time spending that kind of money on "The People's Car". I'd feel better buying a luxury brand car. However if Volkswagen does good in the luxury market and people start to associate Volkswagen with luxury then maybe I would buy an expensive Volkswagen.
    I understand what you are saying about brand recognition, but first of all the SUV will not start out at that much, that figure is for the V10 diesel with 560ft/lbs torque, that is a high tech engine without the clatter and weigth of domestic pickup engines, at that torque is the most poverfull engine you will find in any SUV, in fact is as powerfull as those found in big dually trucks, the towing rate of the Touareg is almost 8,000lbs way more than MBZ or BMW, as it stands is the only game in town, so you are getting something for your money other than fine leather or a fancy CD.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I'm more concerned about VW's reputation for poor service (in this area) and reliabilty than I am about paying more for the VW brand name. When you get into this price range you want luxury build quality and the type of service associated with the other luxury names. I'm skeptical that VW's dealer network is up to the task.

That said, the Touareg looks great, inside and out, and I'm anxious to give it a closer look and test drive once it arrives. A few questions if anyone knows:

1. Will VW dealers provide loaners, wash the car, etc. when you take these higher-priced "luxury" vehicles in for service?

2. Will free scheduled maintenance be provided, like their Audi brand? (I own two Audi's and have come to really appreciate this).

3. Will the V10 diesel definitely be coming the U.S.? If so, when?
    My Audi dealership also sells VWs and from what my Audi salesperson tells me --and he admits that he doesn't yet know for sure-- only certain VW dealerships will sell the Touareg and the Phaeton. Evidently, VW dealerships will have to meet certain criteria in order to qualify. He feels his dealership will almost certainly sell both vehicles for they are also a Porsche dealer and will be offering the Cayenne shortly.

This dealership is a rather low volume dealer which is located in a smaller town that is not a bedroom community of a major metropolitan city. They already provide excellent service for their VW clients and even though not required to do so, wash cars after they are serviced. People whom Ive talked to that have purchased VWs there, tell me that they feel as if they get treated no differently than an Audi customer.

The decision to offer service loaners is usually up to the individual dealership. I know many Audi dealerships that dont offer them for routine scheduled services. The only stipulation that comes from Audi of America is that they'll reimburse the dealer for a service loaner to be given to the customer if the car has to be kept over night for warranty repairs.

So, my suspicion is that VW dealerships which are chosen to sell the Touareg and Phaeton will be a cut above the ordinary VW dealer. There is a VW salesperson (vwguild?) who posts on many of the Town Hall VW forums who could probably give more definitive answers to these questions. I know there have been many discussions on the Phaeton forum about this subject and he has given many explanations on Volkswagens future dealership plans. I really haven't followed those discussions so you might peruse the Phaeton forum (or it could have even been in the Passat forum<?>) to see where these discussions were taking place.

Will free scheduled maintenance be offered on the Touareg and Phaeton? I would suspect so. You'd have to think that they'd want to offer that just to stay competitive with their competition.

From what Ive been reading, the V10 diesel will be delayed coming to the U.S. because they need as much time as possible to fiddle with the smog controls so that it will be able to meet the stringent California emmisions requirements. I believe I read that on one of the VWVortex forums. If I can find it, I'll post the link later. What comes to my mind at the present time is a mid 2004 introduction. Oh wait, I found it (third article down on the following page): Click here and go to the third article on the page

And the links below lead to one of the most comprehensive articles I've seen so far pertaining to the Touareg (I have not even read them completely myself):

Click here for part 1

Click here for part 2

--'rocco

p.s. please excuse the lack of apostrophes ...Edmund's software must be goofing off this morning.

Read the article, very impressive vehicle, it offers a lot more on the mechanical department than what I thought. My experience of the last few years is that VW quality is high especially the materials they use on the inside.
    andrew, yeah, VW's interior fit and finish have really improved over the years ...almost to the point of Audi standards. Even the Jetta's interiors are impressive although I know many Jetta owners who complain of interior rattles and creaking.

And what VW's plans for their distribution network for the Phaeton and Touareg, was called something like "brand standards" and has all been discussed, I believe, on the Phaeton forum. Maybe I can get vwguild to give us a quick reiteration on it again.

--'rocco
    Well, vwguild must be busy selling cars ...the Passat forum has been absolutely dead recently.

Heres another extremely comprehensive article that just came out yesterday ...an 8-page synopsis on almost everything you might want to know about the Touareg (some of it is a rehash of the previous article I posted):

Click here for article from GermanCarFans

--'rocco

Sorry for the delay...not a great deal of leisure time of late...Here is the short version...1999 Dealer Principal Meeting, Palm Springs, Ca./MarketPlace Initiative introduced...
    I have a MarketPlace Ltd. Edition print, framed & hanging on the wall behind my desk...the not so subliminal message is the *2003* above the door as the address...

Cut to May 2001/Berlin, Germany/Dealer Principal
    Meeting...Brand Standards Program introduced and incorporated into the *Basic Dealer Agreement*...

All VWOA Dealers are to be compliant with Brand Standards by the end of this Quarter...

Although all VW Dealers will have *the opportunity* to sell the Phaeton & the Touareg... logic dictates that only those with State of the Art facilities and a Technical Staff that has been trained on these products will actually get that opportunity.

VWAG has invested hundreds of millions Euros on the development & production of these vehicles. The No. Am. Dealers that have embraced this vision & the dedication and level of commitment that will be required to serve the Phaeton & Touareg customer will be rewarded... Those that have not will most probably *miss* this opportunity...
    vwguild-- Any idea about whether the Touareg will have the Audi like 4-year free maintenance as Joel suggested?

And I realize that most reports state that the Touareg won't be offered with a manual transmission here in N.A. but can you confirm that for sure. I suppose a vehicle of that size and configuration wouldn't have much of a demand for a 6-speed manual here in the states but I'd for sure wait for it if offered in the VR6 version. Obviously the six speed automatic would be logical for the V8 and the especially for the TDI but I'd sure like to see a manual available with the V6.

--'rocco
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    We won't see the TDI until the oil companies start producing low sulfur diesel. That sweet V10 diesel wouldn't run on our garbage diesel.

U.S. Government is giving oil companies until 2006 to clean up our diesel - big oil is fighting it every step of the way.

I'd be in hog heaven if we could get the diesels that Europe enjoys - I have an X5 which I would have gotten with the BMW Europe only diesel. I'm a huge fan of VW's, I'd abandon BMW for a comparable VW in a heart beat. I think VW's move up-market will be a success as long as their dealers are kept in line.
    Rick-- Very interesting comments. But everything I've read so far leads me to believe that VW is planning on bringing the V10 to the U.S. eventually. Nobody has mentioned it was a matter of the quality of diesel we have here only that it doesn't meet our stringent emission requirements. Maybe that's the inherent problem ...our lousy diesel produces much more emissions in that same engine than it would in Europe (?).

--'rocco
    I don't know if it's because of emission requirements - how can other diesel engines such as that in the big Dodge Ramcharger meet them? Maybe it's because the higher-tech VW diesel is not designed to run on our low quality diesel, which would make it run rough or possibly do it harm? Hope this dirty fuel situation gets resolved, as this sounds like the engine of choice. That torque rating is unbelievable, plus the mpg and lower fuel cost per gallon to boot....
    Joel-- I was just thinking that myself. Yeah, now that I think about it, I suppose that article I posted above could just be covering-up the real reason why the V10 TDI will be delayed coming to N.A. and that would be our lousy diesel ...or at least you and Rick have me convinced at this point.

--'rocco
    Here's the excerpt from that article I posted earlier in the week ...it sounds legitimate but like I say, Joel and Rick have made some good points about our "diesel quality." The following quoted excerpt is just one of several I've read on the subject:

"VW SETTING U.S DIESEL STRATEGY
    Look for Volkswagen to bring its stump-pulling V-10 turbo-diesel to the U.S. inside the new Touareg SUV &#150; but not until the second quarter of 2004, according to Matthias Kroll, the sport-ute project&#146;s director. The Touareg/V-10 package is receiving early raves from the media, but Kroll cautions VW doesn&#146;t want to bring that diesel powerplant in immediately. Instead, the German automaker believes it needs a &#147;really clean&#148; diesel system that will use new trap technology to filter out particulates in order to meet increasingly stringent emissions standards. VW&#146;s current diesels cannot be sold in California, and could be pushed out of the U.S. entirely by mid-decade without the new pollution hardware, which Kroll hints is now in the active testing stage. When the V-10 is added to the U.S. Touareg powertrain list, Volkswagen also intends to bring to the U.S. updated versions of its four-, six- and possibly its five-cylinder diesels, which would be used in the Jetta, Golf and Passat models. Currently, diesels command little demand in the States, but a growing number of industry officials believe they could see a sharp rise in demand, especially if Mideast issues force up fuel prices. In Europe, where gasoline often tops $5 a gallon, diesels currently have about a 40-percent share of the market. &#151;Paul Eisenstein"

--'rocco
    in our currently available #2 is significantly higher than is necessary...And that has an effect, I believe, on emissions when it crosses the Platinum lined catalytic converter that is standard in our TDI Engines...at least the 1.9L.

Additionally, Truck emission standards are, of course, different than those for passenger cars...
    I hope the rest of this paragraph is more accurate than the statement that "VW's current diesels cannot be sold in California"; that is patently false information...In addition, North East emission standards are the same as California's.
    "...In addition, North East emission standards are the same as California's."

That's what I thought.

So, in all probability, we really can't rely on anything that author states?

--'rocco
    one thing that is accurate is the *demand* aspect
    of Diesel, and that is true primarily because of
    perception vs. reality.

A vast number of people believe that all diesel engines spew clouds of black smoke, they smell, they are loud, and that Diesel#2 fuel is hard to find.

Diesel #2 is available everywhere, and the common ground of the other complaints is secondary to driving behind buses, big trucks, and MBZ 300SDs...;)
    but I know that many modern trucks and especially the buses that municipalities are now purchasing, are now equipped with particulate traps --as mentioned in the above quoted excerpt-- and their emissions are now quite clean ...almost to the point where I no longer mind driving behind a city bus ...well, almost. *lol*

So maybe there's hope.

--'rocco
    Hope they get it figured out and import the V10 TDI as soon as possible. I would be interested in either the V8 or the diesel...

Changing subjects a little, what do you guys think of the Touareg's looks? From the pictures I think it's one of the best-looking SUV's I've seen, even nicer than the BMW and Volvo, IMO. The feature content looks great too, especially the air suspension which I've really come to appreciate in my allroad - great for towing as it stays level no matter the rear-end load.

I'm also wondering how it will track and drive, compared to the X5 for example. I really don't want to go back to a truck-like (typical SUV) ride. The handling + go factor is what interests me - if they're both really good I plan to take a real good look at this vehicle, but I'm in no rush as our '98.5 A4 (which the Touareg would conceivable replace) still drives and looks great.
    Joel-- I agree, from the pics I've seen so far, the Touareg is definitely one of the best looking SUVs around. However, I have always loved the styling and the sculptured details of the X5 ...I really think it has nice lines.

For me, where the Touareg really shines is its instrument cluster. It's definitely the best I've seen on any vehicle, IMO. The interior in general, from the pics I've seen, also looks much nicer than the X5's.

And in my case, it's the tranny that will make the decision for me. If it's offered with a 6-speed manual, I'll buy one for sure. If not, I guess I'll try to pick up an allroad if they're not discontinued before the Touareg is actually available.

As for the handling, I'd have to suspect that it won't be as good as your allroad because of its higher center of gravity but it should outperform the X5 ...I'd have to imagine.

The acceleration and torque of that V10 TDI sounds amazing ...in fact, everything about that engine sounds amazing. Let's see how long it is before we get it here; if we ever get it here. I know it won't be available with a manual tranny but if I were ever considering towing a trailer, I'd definitely would consider it.

--'rocco
  • affyaffy Member Posts: 19
    Does anybody have the new price for the Touraeg?
    From the picture I've seen the interior is extremely good looking, I hope VW would offer a 7 seaters SUV along the road. However, if its priced exactly the same as X5 or ML I would definitely not go for a VW. Luxury brand have much better service facility, people just treat you better. A lot of my friends is making fun of the new phaeton, cause if VW have Audi and Bentley why need another luxury brand?
    Well the obvious reason is that luxury cars are more profitable, and luxury and "near luxury" is where the industry's greatest growth potential is. Long-term, with Germany's high cost structure, it's doubtful that their makes can compete for the lower end of the market (even Japan is having a harder time competing with South Korea). I think it will be very difficult for VW to change most people's perception of their cars, however. Not only will this take time but it will take a very serious committment to improve their dealer network and overall vehicle quality. If they don't do these two things this move upmarket will fail miserably, IMO.

I DO think the Touareg (specs, looks and on paper) looks to be a very well-executed vehicle. I'm interested, and when I go to take a closer look I'll be much more interested in observed quality of the materials, how it drives and dealer service committment than how I perceive the VW brand based on its reputation.
    For those interested, a few new pics posted over at VWVortex:

Base V6 model with greatly reduced chrome trim on front grill and no chrome around the windows and lower side panels:

click here

V10 TDI with Extreme Package which includes additional skid plates and outside mounted spare:

click here for pic 1

click here for pic 2

Jeff-- No prices announced for N.A. yet. Probably will be announced in the second quarter of 2003 from what I'm hearing. If you were implying that your hope is that its pricing will be under the X5 and ML, I seriously doubt it. Rumor is that the base V6 will start somewhere around 35k but I'd have to believe once desireable options are added that it will be quite a bit over the 45k mark. V10 TDI could be hovering in the 55-60k range which suggests that the 4.2 will be somewhere in the range of 50k.

--'rocco

Looks like it would restrict visability out the rear - is this going to be an option? If so, where would the spare be stored without it? Otherwise nice pics - I like the clean lines and overall shape.
  • hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    Word has it that the spare will typically be a space-saver type that would come with a can of air. In models with air suspension, it is also rumored that an attachment would be available to fill the tire from that source.(???)

I agree that the outside mounted spare would seemingly cut down on rear visibility. It would also appear to undermine the versatility of the rear window since the window is designed to open independently (if one so chooses) from the rest of the tailgate hatch.

Overall though, the Touareg is quite impressive.
    Richard-- I agree... it would cut down on the convenience factor of having rear hatch window open independently. I appears that it'll work similarly to many SUVs which have their spare mounted on the outside where the mounting bracket will swing out so that the rear window can be opened independent of the whole hatch. It's a hassle to go through that extra step but if the mounting bracket is designed well, it shouldn't be too bad.

Speaking of the bracket: isn't that one of the most nicest looking designs around??! ...no hinges showing and a very integrated look.

Joel-- yes, Richard is correct. It is an option and also is a component of the "Extreme Package" which is an off-road package of sorts. The standard spare will be a space-saver located under the cargo area accessible from the inside ...from what I've read.

--'rocco
  • hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    22- The mounting bracket does seem well designed and would appear to easily swing out of the way if one wanted to momentarily pop open the rear window.

The versatility I was thinking of is the occasional item (e.g. ladder) that, if needed, could protrude out the rear window opening. Granted, maybe not the safest thing to do and it is unknown whether the window could securely stay up for such purposes but, it is something many have done at one time or another. Just a thought.
    flyer-- ah yeah, I see what you mean. I misinterpreted what you meant by versatility for I never imagined carrying things that may protrude out the back. I guess I've always carried ladders, etc. on the roof rack of my vehicles.

I understand the Touareg will have some type of a sophisticated cross-bar system on the roof but it isn't apparent from the pictures we've seen. I saw it in one article and now I can't remember which one it was. I'll hunt around for it and post it if or when I find it.

--'rocco
    I will chime in my opinion, they are making a point for the 4runner as being some 400lbs ligther and better off roader because of that fact.

Now give me a break!!!! Whenewer is convenient, off roading is a big factor, hypocresy, througth the years I have started some off roading topics and they all die for lack of interest as well as others. I am a hard core off roader and when I talk about the subject people starts to yarn, so bunks to all that off roading crap.

Lets talk about something that really concerns people or a more usefull option and that is towing, at close to 8,000lbs of towing capacity conbined with that V10 diesel the Touareg will really shine, and that extra weigth will really be usefull.
    Joel-- Regarding your post of October 16 where you asked about the Touareg's handling compared to the X5, read this quote contained in an article from 4Car:

"The Touareg feels as alert and agile as a BMW X5 despite massively superior off-road ability, which augurs well for the architecturally similar Porsche Cayenne. This came home to us on a series of fast bends in which the hefty VW gripped hard, could be placed precisely with well-weighted steering, held on to its line and gave a good impression of quite a sporty car - which is exactly what Volkswagen, to our initial scepticism, claims. Seldom has a 4x4 felt more stable, inspired such confidence and hidden its bulk so well. This applies to both the V10 and the V6, but the diesel car is much the more amusing with its mass-defying torque. Both are disarmingly effortless off-road."

To view the entire, extremely comprehensive, 4Car review and rating of the Touareg, click on the following link. It's a 5 page article that not only contains an extensive review but also provides a pictorial listing of features where you lay your cursor on a number and it gives a corresponding feature, many of which weve not heard about so far. Be sure to view all five pages.

Click here for page 1 of 5 of the 4Car article.

And here's the info on the roof rack contained in the article from GermanCarFans:

"For transporting athletic equipment, rooftop luggage or other loads on the roof, C-rails made of aluminium profiles for fastening a roof-carrier system developed especially for the Touareg are standard equipment. The two crossbars of this aerodynamically optimised system can, if not required, be disassembled or pushed together and to the back of the vehicle, where they form a visually harmonic unit with the roofline."

click here for picture #1

click here for picture #2

--'rocco