Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

Comments

• n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    You can pull the fuse for the level control. On my Montana it's labeled ELC and is located in the panel on the right end of the instrument panel.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Well, after 148k my '98 olds van has started leaking coolant, but its slow ooze, not anything dramatic. Saw some puddle on the right side of the valley between cylinder heads, figure its the intake gasket everyone has talked about. Anyway, thinking of just putting some GM stop leak in it and seeing what happens as its not that bad.

DD
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    I had the intake gasket fixed, it wasn't cheap at about $800 including a tune up.
    I'll pull that for now, I'm thinking I'll put a regular air input from air shocks on the system and just leave the system shut off. I can survive with out the auto feature.
  • eodkideodkid Member Posts: 8
    Every once in a while (2 or 3 time a month) my van acts like the battery s dead. I checked the battery, charging system, and the starter and all check out good. The car starts right up if I jump it. Is it possible that there is a problem with the security system preventing it from getting power? I am out of ideas any input is welcome.
    I have the same issue with the battery dying.

I went in the garage late the other night and the interior lights were on. Our van is a premiere so the car shuts everything off after 10 minutes or somehthing like that... Apparently this automatic power shut off is not working so we started using the overhead master shut off for the interior lights and the problem has not resurfaced, but who knows if that is the problem, it may happen again in a few more weeks.

In addition to this the suspension leveling system is not working is not releasing air so I shut that off as well.

It's been a good van, but it's 9 years old, maybe it's time for a new one.
    Also check the battery cables at the battery itself. I found one slightly loose. Not enough to tell by wiggling the cable but did move when I tighened the terminal. Van's electrical system was dead as you described.
  • kenrivkenriv Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Montana heated seats stopped warming.The driver side went first and about a year later the passenger side went out. The switches still light when turned on and the fuse and breaker in the fuse panel near the glovebox are good. How do I find the cause of this problem?
  • hfg1955hfg1955 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the exact same issue with my Montana 2002 heated leather seats over the past year. In my case the both front seat heaters malfunctioned at the same time. Both switches still light, and the fuses are good. I just took my Montana to the dealer and paid $84 for a diagnostic evaluation. I was told that I would need to replace the heating elements in both seats. This will cost approx $500 per seat (parts and labor). This is extremely costly and frustrating. My understanding is that the heating elements on the Montana are known to be very problematic. :mad:
  • pennykandypennykandy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 silhouette, with capatain's chairs in the back. On one of the seats, the seatbelt has become stuck around the headrest, in the locked position. I cannot for the life of me get it around the headrest. I also cannot figure out how to get the head rest off. All I've managed to do in my 2 days of trying, is to make the seatbelt even tighter around the seat.

Any ideas?
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Did you try moving the seat back and forth, or tilt with the black knob?
  • pennykandypennykandy Member Posts: 2
    yes I tried that, but it wouldn't move very far because the seatbelt is holding it in place, I even tried to take the seat out, but apparently you have to fold the seatback down to take out the seat, and the seatback won't fold down far enough (the seatbelt is holding it up)

I have to say this is by far the most bizarre car problem I've ever had, and would almost be funny if I didn't need to put a child in that seat.
  • gthunsgthuns Member Posts: 1
    Got a 98 Olds minivan with about 140K on it. Just put new air shocks on it last month. Wife was driving it yesterday and the brake pedal went to the floor. I came and got it, drove it home(real slow) took all 4 wheels of and started looking for a broken brake line. Well I found it, rear passenger side, but what broke it kinda threw me. The coil spring broke about one and a half coils up from the bottom, kicked to the inside and broke the brake line. Anyone ever hear of a spring breaking on one of these? My local dealer says they have never sold a spring for any of the GM minivans. To me this is something that should just not fail.
  • amichelsamichels Member Posts: 3
    I have same olds with vibration/rolling thump at 30 to 40 mph. Slightly turn left, I get more noise, I must be on perfectly flat road to hear this. If I open the windows I cant hear or feel the vibration/thump. I have replaced axles, tie rods, brake rotors. Now I have looked at Passenger side, hydraulic motor mount. I jacked the engine up 1 inch, noticed the top metal portion of the engine mount is resting on a steel pin lower on the hydraulic/rubber part. Looks like I'll try this next. Any luck on your search??
    I have 00 olds silhouette, with vibration/thump/noise at 30 to 40 mph, I have replied to message #1413. But I also have the same click that you have. Noticed the click in last few days, inreverse, slight uphill out of my garage. I'm looking at the right front hydraulic motor mount. It is resting on a metal pin on the lower portion, looks like it is hitting when it shouln't. see my posting to #1413. let me know if you found anything, I would appreciate the help
    I've got similar problem, noise at 30 to 40 mph. but my noise gets louder if I turn left. Is yours like a thump, with small vibration at slow speeds? I need help to find my problem, if you had any luck please let me know.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    I just had the hubs and tie rod ends replaced. I have not driven it much since, but I don't think the problem is completely gone, if any better.
  • uzbekbashiuzbekbashi Member Posts: 4
    Hello to all, new to this forum. I have a 2004 Venture base extended model with 54000 miles. The manual says to change transmission fluid at 50000 if you have been driving the van hard or at 100000 for normal conditions. I drive the car mostly suburban and rural conditions and have generally been taking good care of it with no serious problems yet. Should I just wait until 100000 or would it be better for the health of the transmission to change the fluid now anyway or would this be wasting money only? Also, what brand of fluid would be best? Thanks for any info.
  • samm00samm00 Member Posts: 6
    Hi there
    Just had Solenoids changed as the van was clunking but picked it up and the steering is now heavy - any link??
    Any ideas
    Thanks
  • rattlesrattles Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am a fully qualified mechanic with 20 years plus experience, my chevvy venture van (160k) ran great and had no noises/rattles or issues. i am having no success in curing a severe top end rattle. If youre sitting comfortably , i'll begin. My wife was driving along and said the van lost power, then it picked up ok, then a bang and lots of smoke. she stopped and we had the vehicle towed home. When i tried to start vehicle for diagnostic purposes, it ran poorly and had a regular top end rattle, like a very loose lifter. After usual diagnostic tests i decided to remove the cylinder heads. The rear gasket was completely shot at #6 cylinder and i noticed #1 chamber was extremely clean, indicative of it leaking also. The sump was filled with coolant. I fitted an aftermarket head set ($270+tax) and refitted heads, new oil and filter etc. When i started her up she ran sweet, no misfire but a nasty rattle(same as before). After little success finding origin of noise i removed inlet manifold and double checked my work. No loose lifters, pushrods in correct place, etc etc. Was told it could be lifters damaged after dexcool entered sump, replaced all lifters($24+tax each), rebuilt and had exactly the same noise. Sent van to local garage to check over. He removed inlet manifold, compared my heads etc to a venture he had in for head gasket repair. He checked oil pressure, rockers etc found nothing, charged me $250 + tax and returned van without refitting any parts. Suggested the aftermarket gaskets may be thicker and i might try having heads shaved. Had the heads shaved and fitted new gm gaskets ($270 Heads + $160 for gm gaskets and of course taxes). Fitted heads again! (yes with another set of bolts). Guess what - still have the same rattle. still sounds like atleast 2 valve clearances are 40 thou too big. The van runs great. have even driven it up the road for a few k. lots of power, no misfires, rattle is audible whilst driving. Any one still awake after reading this and has any suggestions please feel free to respond.
  • lou747jeepslou747jeeps Member Posts: 5
    I am not a mechanic, but do almost all of my own repairs, changing rear main engine seals, rebuilding the transmission and transfer case on my jeep, ect. My engine was overheating. I changed the thermostat and ran good for a week. It began to overheat again. I found air in the radiator system. During that time, I was getting a loud rattle as you describe. I thought I had warped heads from overheating. The Silhouette also ran rough the first 30 seconds during all start-ups. Unexplainably, after I bled the air out of the radiator system, all problems disappeared. Its been fine the last 20,000 miles. I currently have 195,000 miles on the vehicle.

Don't ask me how air in the radiator system could cause these problems (other than overheating), but that is what happened. For all I know, the rough idle and rattle was not related to the air in the system, but unexplainably, both problems disappeared after bleading the system. Good Luck!
    Look at message #687 in this forum. I've since given our 98 Montana to our son. Pistons were replaced around 30K miles. Tick or rattle was less but eventually returned over time. Was less in colder weather. Van still running good at 132K and still rattled on startup. The info suggests the noise is because of wrist pin fit.... I recall sometime in 2003 GM released polymer coated pistons for this engine per bulletin 03-06-01-002
    The inside of the positive battery terminal was cracked causing the intermittent power outage.

New battery, car works fine.
  • ckunichckunich Member Posts: 2
    I am having this problem and trying to fight with GM on it. I Don't think they care.
  • rlmiller9rlmiller9 Member Posts: 48
    Same on our 05 Relay, I was living with it, but am now on a mission.
  • jkumpire24jkumpire24 Member Posts: 17
    My car died recently, and I ran into a 1997 Silo with 50K miles on it. The test drive was great and the van is imaculate, but there are two things troubling me:

1. The check engine light is on and won't shut off. Is this a sign of the infamous leaking radiator fluid into the engine oil problem, or is it just an old car who needs a catalytic converter? Or could it be something else? :confuse:

2. The ITC light was on all the time we were driving, until I turned it off., Looking at the manual, I thought I read that if that light is on it means something needs fixed in the system. Am I correct about this? :confuse:

The price is very low, and I am not worried about it not being driven enough over the years of ownership. :shades:

Thanks for your help!
  • jhirneisenjhirneisen Member Posts: 64
    Forget any Montana, Sillouette or Lumina APV! I had the same problem with my 1997 Montana.....just spent $2800 fixing it...a gasket leaking antifreeze into the engine.
    I worked 19 years at Pontiac Motors and GM/EDS, 10 of those years at the GM Tech Center in Warren, Mich. Lot's of problems with this vehicle...brakes, electrical, rattles, fuel injectors, windows, etc.. Constant problems.
    Jack in Colorado
    Helllloooooo Out there!!!

If there is anyone out there who still looks at this forum beside Jack and I, I am curious about something:

Did all the different engines used in the triplets have the same problem, or frequency of problems, or did different engines have different rates of problems?

For example, a sales guy I talked to about a Silo said the 3.4 's did not have a s many problems as the other engines used in the Silos.

I was under the impression that GM standardized on the 3.4 in the production of the triplets but I might be wrong. If you had problems with gaskets going bad, tell us what engine you had.

Thanks!
    Helllloooooo Out there!!!

If there is anyone out there who still looks at this forum beside Jack and I, I am curious about something:

Did all the different engines used in the triplets have the same problem, or frequency of problems, or did different engines have different rates of problems?

For example, a sales guy I talked to about a Silo said the 3.4 's did not have a s many problems as the other engines used in the Silos.

I was under the impression that GM standardized on the 3.4 in the production of the triplets but I might be wrong. If you had problems with gaskets going bad, tell us what engine you had.

Thanks!
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Member Posts: 168
    As far as I know, all the '97-'04 GM minivans use the same 3.4L engine. All the vans were built in Doralville, GA.

Our 2001 Olds Silo has had most of the problems mentioned on this and other forums. The 5 year/60K warranty that came with the van was very necessary! I would conservatively estimate that GM has spent $4,500 fixing our van under warranty. We have only spent $200 out-of-pocket and that was customer goodwill on a new A/C compressor at 59K miles/62 months.

The van is running great now at 65K miles. The new Goodyear Triple Treads sure give it a better ride than the original Generals. We hope to keep another 10-15 years.
    Correction...I have a 1999 Pontiac Montana. The only engine available on this model year was the 3.4....a piece of junk!
    Earlier Transports/Montanas had the 3.1 litre or 3.8 litre engines. I had one of each...pretty good vehicles. The 3.8 litre V-6 is considered a solid engine. The past 1 1/2 years there has been a 3.6 and a 3.9 litre available...look at Consumers Reports which rates both LOW.
    Jack in Colorado
    Correction...I have a 1999 Pontiac Montana. The only engine available on this model year was the 3.4 which
    Consumers Reports rates as "UNRELIABLE Long-Term"....lot's of repairs especially after the warranty expires.
    Earlier Transports/Montanas had the 3.1 litre or 3.8 litre engines. I had one of each...pretty good vehicles. The 3.8 litre V-6 is considered a solid engine. The past 1 1/2 years there has been a 3.6 and a 3.9 litre available...look at Consumers Reports which rates both LOW Reliability.
    Jack in Colorado
    Which model years had a
    5 year/60K warranty?
    Did the 1999 Montana have this warranty?
    Jack in Colorado
    After GM announced the discontinuation of Oldsmobile in 2000, they put a 5yr/60 miles warranty on all new Olds products. That is why we bought the Olds Silo instead of the Chevy or Pontiac versions. In 2002, they gave customers the option of $1K cash off purchase or the 5/60 warranty.

Also, the Olds was $3-4K cheaper than the highly rated Honda Ody or Toyota Sienna when we bought new in 2001. We are still $2,800-$3,800 (plus interest) ahead of what Consumer Reports recommended! As we don't plan on selling the van, resale value is irrelevant.
    If you want to view a summary of the Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for your vehicle, go to: http://www.alldatadiy.com/
    Then on the right margin it will ask; "Choose Car Year". Enter the year, i.e. 1999.
    It will then come back asking for model, etc.
    I entered mine; a 1999 Pontiac Montana 3.4 Litre V-6.
    I got 3 Recalls and 148 TSBs. Click on: http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/49/994902gn.html
    to see my results. That's about all you get for free. You will need to subscribe to their service for more detailed info, or find a friend that subscribes.
    Good luck.
    Jack in Colorado
    Many people look to used American vehicles as a value play. Save a bunch by not paying for new vehicle depreciation and pay less than used comparable Japanese brands. Of course, this assumes the car you are getting used is reliable in order for it to be a good value. Herein lies the problem with the GM minivans.

The high number of TSBs relates to engineering or design or manufacturing defects by GM and/or its suppliers when the van was originally put out. The TSBs are generally the solutions to these original defects. Oftentimes, the TSBs include new and redesigned parts. I know this is the case for our new intake manifold gaskets (2nd set) and our new A/C condenser.

I would suggest only buying a GM minivan used if you know all the service history of the vehicle. Ideally, this would be a one owner who looked after the vehicle him/her self or had it serviced by the book at the dealer. This is not a good used vehicle to buy from someone that doesn't look under the hood frequently and instead takes it to the cheapest lube shop for oil changes.

I have caught two intake manifold gasket failures, A/C condenser failure, A/C compressor failure, and tranny failure early and under warranty because I change my own oil and look at things on a regular basis. This is a high maintenance vehicle that does require attention.

As far a longevity, go to Autotrader.com and type in 1997 Chevy Venture/Olds Silhouette/Pontiac Montana and you will see a lot of vans with 100K-200K miles. I plan on getting at least 200K miles out of our van.
    Folks,

I would appreciate your help. I am at a loss as what I should do:

Which should I purchase:

1. 1997 Olds Silhouette GLS, 55K, immaculate shape, most all the extras, $7500
    2. 1997 Chevy Astro conversion, also immaculate shape, 77K miles, $8000.

The tradeoffs: $600 less, fewer miles for the Silhouette vs. high quality conversion, more plush interior and extras, TV/VCP, better engine, less possible major problems.

Carfax is clean on both vans, both are local owners with no major repairs, and are being sold by dealers.

I just don't know which one to pick!

Thanks

Note: Also Posted on another thread
    Question: did GM agree to pay for any of the problems with the intake manifold gasket failures after the warranty period? They told me that they did not know of any problems or TSBs for intake manifold gasket failures on my 1999 Montana.
    Comment: on the Astro....they have a 4-speed aotomatic transmission which has been having lots of failures.
    Jack in Colorado.
    The dealer is not telling the truth if they were not aware of the issue of intake manifold gasket failure on 1997-2003? GM minivans. The gasket was redesigned in 2003 or 2004, I believe, to address the high failure rate. So the dealer is keeping quiet so as not to point the finger at GM.

Getting GM to help pay for the cost of replacement has been difficult for many people who had the standard 3/36 warranty. Some have gotten assistance and others have not. I can understand why many people have swore off GM after having to pay $800 to fix this problem right after the new car warranty expired. We were just lucky to have the 5/60 warranty.

We have not yet had an IMG failure since the second set was put on in Feb. 2006 under warranty.
  • gat135gat135 Member Posts: 7
    I have a problem with a 1999 Venture interior door lock switches. I believe both interior door lock switches work since they will activate the door locks to lock but will not unlock the doors. The door lock motors work since I can unlock the doors with the remotes. Is this a BCM programming problem? Anyone have any clues to search for a cause of not being able to unlock the doors with the door switches? :confuse:
  • turfturf Member Posts: 1
    Yes I have engine oil in the coolant and coolant in my engine of my 1997 Silhouette. I purchased the van new in 1997 and its been a great vehicle without problems for 150000 miles, 210000 miles if you count the miles towed behind my motorhome. I replaced the lower manifold gasket and the problem was still there. I removed the OEM oil cooler and pressure checked- sure enough the cooler had developed an internal leak that let oil into the engine coolant when running and let coolant into the oil when dormant. I may purchase a short filter thru bolt and eliminate the cooler. I also have a 2003 AWD and it dosen't have a cooler.
  • rkudarkuda Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 venture with the same problem with the door unlock switch along with some other issues, i just had the bcm replaced and the new one programed, it didn't help with the door unlock switches or any of the other problems.
    Buy new door lock switches, they're cheap and easy to install yourself. The plate they ride in just pulls up with your fingernails.

The interiors of these vans are snap togther.

GM parts direct, you can't beat 'em. Also can be had on E bay.
    Lot's of similar problems with my 1999 Montana.....and others on this web site. A major problem has been the rear tail-light socket shorts out between the black wire (power) and one or more of the other wires in the socket (pig-tail).
    GM used a supplier of sub-standard pig-tails with plastic that could not resist the heat....melts and allow a short.
    I replaced the pig-tail.
    Jack Hirneisen in Colorado
    I seem to remember someone mentioning a rattle in their left rear underside of their Montana/Silloutte/Venture.
    I have had this problem for 6 years....45 to 60 MPH speed. I thought it was the mud flap, but that was false.
    Can't find anything loose, but while washing mud off of the left rear wheel-well last week I discovered that the hard plastic wheel-well makes a rattle noise. I'll investigate further...but does anyone have a similar problem??? Or solution?
    Thanks,
    Jack Hirneisen in Colorado
  • dcrosby39dcrosby39 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy Venure. I found engine oil in the raditor, but no anti-freeze in the oil. It uses about a quart a day. Any ideas?
  • ladybug56ladybug56 Member Posts: 1
    We had a major repair on a blown head gasket..had to replace the whole engine around 140,000 miles...(hwy) and now..we have had a second blown head gasket..but said he could seal it....told the mechanic to seal it as he suggested and just use it for light local driving..to the tune of 500 bucks plus..now today after about 3 trips of 1.1 miles....the darn thing s running to hot and the temp light came on once..then went back down...is there ANY recall on his at all??? I am furious..never should have bought this piece of junk...what a lousy vehicle...(97).
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    If there is oil in your antifreeze it sounds like bad news:

Blown head gasket
    Bad intake manifold gasket (common on the 3.4L)
    cracked head
    cracked block

Your oil will start to look like a chocolate milkshake, that's how you know there's antifreeze in there. Wish I had better news for you.
  • writerwriter Member Posts: 121
    I am curious about your engine replacement. You said it happened at 140,000 miles. What date was that, and was it a new engine from GM or was it re-built by a 3rd party company? Did it not have a warranty of its own? How many miles did you put on it before the 2nd gasket leak showed up?
  • worbworb Member Posts: 1
    This is a common problem that I discovered the solution to on another site. It worked for them and for me. Lift the plastic cover off the Passenger side Floor board. Pull back the carpet and low and behold - lotsa water. The wire is sitting in water leaking in from a flawed seam in the fender well. (haven't actually found the leak yet). The wires have corroded - surprise surprise. Unwrap all the black tape and expose the wires. Near the front of the harness you will see 2 white wires joining into 1 white wire and 2 light blue wires joining into one light blue wire. These are the culprits. Fix them and fix your problem. This is going on in multiple years of Ventures and Transports but no word from GM that it might just be a fault. PS Lotsa wires here so any other problems might originate here.