Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

Comments

• autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks Montanavan. I would think all GM's would be the same, also. The pictures sure looked different, but maybe it was an illusion. Appreciate the feedback.
  • silo01silo01 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Silhouette Premiere and loved it except the tires seem to have worn out way to soon. I only have 20,000 miles and the front tires need to be replaced already.

Should I replace all 4 tires, the back tires still have plenty of tread left on them, or should I just replace the front? What brand would give me a quieter ride?

Thanks,
  • jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for the input. I am sort of hoping it was just the break-in myself, but I figured I'd see what other's were seeing in their vans.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Sounds to me like you haven't been rotating your tires very frequently, if at all. On front wheel drive vehicles the front tires take the vast majority of the wear. You should rotate the tires every 7,500 mi. or so.
    Also, just replace the fronts in your current situation, and then start rotating your tires.
  • mizeumlmizeuml Member Posts: 50
    I have a question for all 2002 Montana owners. Does the top of your van have the 1/2" wide black rubber strips that run from the front to the rear under the luggage rack to protect the top of the van? My '99 Montana had these strips, but the '02 does not. I called the 1-800 Pontiac folks, but they did not know. I wonder if GM removed them for a cost reduction or just left them off by accident? We have the extended van with leather captains and DVD.

Other question for anyone that has the DVD player. Has anyone tried hooking a VCR to the Aux jacks. I know you can buy the AC/DC converters to use so you can use a home unit VCR in the van for long trips, but will it hurt anything? The owners manual says the Aux jacks are for video game units and camcorders. Here again the 1-800 Pontiac folks were of no help.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • missedbassmissedbass Member Posts: 48
    the strips were on the older Chevy's, Olds, and Pontiacs. They don't put them on the new ones. Probably saves them a few cents. They also don't have the black piece on the back bumper anymore.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    My 99 Venture has them. They look like a good idea, but I've never used them since the crossbars bear any loads. Really, I can't imagine putting anything directly on the roof. Plus they make waxing more difficult.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    If you wanted you could order the older model's at the parts counter and have them attached. I don't think the top sheetmetal has changed any. I ordered door edge guards from a '87 for my '88 Dodge and stuck them on myself. I might have confused a few real gearheads but most people didn't notice.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    You stated you had the piston slap taken care of under warranty, mind telling me what they did to fix it ?? GM tells me it's normal and requires no fix even though they have given me an extended component warranty on my engine only, free of charge. A lot of good it will do if they won't fix it under the bumper to bumper manf's. warranty
    Thanks

Ray T.
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    Does anyone know how to remove a vcr from the Premier van? I know a guy who can fix it (it began digesting tapes) dirt cheap but I need to remove it for him. Thanks for any help.
  • fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    There are some things to love about this minivan:
    POWER-it doesn't hestitate when you step on the gas
    STEREO-great sound for a stock system
    TRIP COMPUTER-on the standard package
    POWER SLIDING DOOR-great when its raining or hands are full(mine or others)
    ALLOY WHEELS-on the standard package
    SIZE-comfortably seats 7 with plenty of cargo space
    25 GALLON GAS TANK-goes for 100's of miles without a fillup
    GREAT PRICE!
    Then there are the things to put up with:
    The exterior's lack of style
    All the cheap plastic on the interior
    The noisy engine
    The difficulty in handling(Odyssey is same size but handles like a much smaller van)
    The wind noise
    The road noise
    GM's attitude that fair to good is good enough, excellence is not required
    and the PROBLEMS!
    Things that went wrong:
    All six fuel injectors were replaced-4 trips to dealer
    Complete ignition assembly replaced-3 trips to dealer
    Ignition security module replaced-2 trips to dealer
    Front end clunk-3 trips to dealer and no resolution
    Driveline clunk-dealer can't duplicate and if they could would tell me it is "normal" (according to TSB)
    Piston slap-heard right after warranty expired (wouldn't have received anything except an extended warranty on the engine that wouldn't have been honored unless the engine blew up)
    Temperature and compass that give erratic readings whenever they feel like it-"fixed" 12/01 and continues to be a problem
    Stinky air conditioner/vent-fix was completed, smell is better but not gone
    Hard shifts-not yet diagnosed
    Air bag light on repeatedly while driving-both front airbag modules replaced-3 trips to dealer

Bottom line:
    If you don't mind a lot of quirky problems, and some major problems and trips to the dealer(maybe you like to visit with the service writers) and you really love the van's virtues, then purchase with an extended warranty.
    If you want a reliable vehicle and peace of mind with few repairs try a Mazda MPV.
    My 2 cents worth...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How many miles on your van now?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    54,800 miles, out of warranty since 12/01.
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    I seem to remember someone having found a place to buy the pair of pollen filters which reside just behind the glove compartment at a price much better than that available from the GM dealer. For the 97 Silo the Delco filter number is 52470574 and requires two. If anyone remembers this post I would appreciate help in finding it. Thanks.
    mizeuml Mar 30, 2002 2:30pm

hmmm, on second thought, maybe this one:

offham Mar 29, 2002 2:14pm

Steve
    Host
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    These were the cabin filter posts that I was looking for. I scanned the board for over a half hour last night and couldn't find them. Thanks for your help. You are the main reason this is such a great forum.
  • redwings1958redwings1958 Member Posts: 3
    Try this website
    www.autopartsgiant.com
    I saw them there for $24
    BTW, how often are you supposed to change these
    things?
  • ems1ems1 Member Posts: 48
    Regarding the piston slap: My '98 Venture developed the piston slap at about 25,000 miles. The dealer pulled the engine rebored the cylinders and fitted new pistons. I think they may have been redesigned, but not sure. I know they had problems getting the parts. The van was in the shop for a week. I have over 50,000 miles now and the engine makes a little noise on cold startups but goes away in about 15 seconds. I would prefer no piston slap but I can live with the slight noise I have now. It was a loud tapping before the repair and lasted for about 1 minute. I just had an oil analysis done and it showed no internal problems.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    We had our Rack and Pinion steering unit fail at 59k miles. A cap was broken where the steering column bottoms out. This failure has 18 complaints at the NHSTA site! I'm sure other people have had this problem. The mechanic thinks its a bushing inside the rack and pinion unit that is failing. This Chevy mechanic has had to replace a number of rack and pinions lately. NHSTA and Chevy are investigating the problem Be careful since this problem can cause the steering to lock up and potentially cause an accident. We had problems steering to the left. Our Van is a 97 Venture Extended with 59k miles.

If you have had the problem please complain to the NHSTA so Chevy will fix this defect.
  • edmdanedmdan Member Posts: 4
    Hello to all, I have been reading your conversations for a while now and finally I Have ask if anyone else has this problem. On my 2001 Venture (45,000 km) the rear shoulder belts do not allow the user any slack, in fact they continually cinch themselves tighter every time you move until they are so taunt that you have to undo them, retract all the way back and then it will allow you to pull the belt out enough to put it back on! I have tried a couple of "clips" intended to prevent the belt from retracting but they slip, and when you are not using the belt it is hanging in the way/ out the door...you get the picture...
    Oh yes, it was suggested to check my manual, but this was a lease-return and the manual was missing...AND THE DEALER has yet to get one! or at least let me know it has arrived. So basically I am flying blind with operation and details about my van.
    Other comments, this van runs SO Quietly...I have a hard time telling if the engine is running or not,
    unfortunately there is a wind howl above 100 kph from the windshield passenger side and some scary creaks from the body in cold weather but otherwise I am extremely happy with it.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    The belts should only go into cinch mode if they have been pulled all the way out first. I am very large, and if I ride in my brother's Montana, I can put the belt on fine. If I lean forward, I pull it all the way out and then it goes into cinch mode. If yours are working differently, there may be a problem and the dealer shoudl replace the ones with problems. Also I think if your search for Helm, Inc you can order the manual yourself. Good luck.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    You probably have air leak (winshield not glued in properly or a seal proble) - this should be fixed under warranty. I'd go to the dealer with it.
    I often drive 75-80mph and there are no wind noises from the windshield...
    Good luck -
    Tomek
    2000 Venture / 31000 miles
    Anyone see information about ordering 2003 Ventures (colors, options, etc)? It's not on the www.chevrolet.com site yet, but I wondered if it is anywhere else to view. A dealer told me the information is already available to them. Thanks in advance.
  • jpc47jpc47 Member Posts: 62
    Has anyone had thier oil analyzed? I'm thinking about doing mine, specifically to see if any antifreeze is in the oil
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    Little beads of anti freeze will build up inside of the oil filler cap if there is anti freeze in with the oil. Just take off the cap and have a look on the bottom of it, it should be pretty easy to spot they are just oily little beads.

You are looking for emulsification, I hope you don't find any.
    In the last six weeks my '99 Chevy Venture has been experiencing hard shifts.
    Mostly on upshifts, but occasionally on downshifts also. This rough shifting is
    intermittent. Last week I had transmission service at the dealership where I
    purchased the vehicle, filter and gasket change and about 5-6 quarts of Dextron
    III transmission fluid. My auto has 55,000 miles on it. Does anyone have any
    ideas? What should be my next step in resolving this? Thanks in advance!
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    There was a Tech Service Bulletin for harsh shifts issued a while back by GM. If you failed to mention this to dealer prior to warranty expiration or the problem just started it is now an out of pocket expense for you unless you have a good repor w/service manager. Good Luck

Ray T.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Edmunds has the 2003 posted and very little change other than a new model called LT Entertainer which after a quick glance, does not seem anything more than a name.

I see leather heated seats are available, which I recall was only available on one of the others Silo.
    I'll give it a look, Thanks.
  • railroadmanrailroadman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Pontiac Transport (110,000 miles). The engine has started cutting out when accelerating (at 10 to 25 MPH. I had the fuel pump and filters replaced. Still stalls. Garage is perplexed and do not know what to do. Computer does not seem to have any answers. It also seems to be starting out in high gear, rather than low. If manually shift gears, accelerates better but watching the tach can still see needle dropping as engine keeps trying to stall.

I saw a similar problem posted in the other forum. Any help?

I used to be RailraodCPA but lost my password and had to re register. I finally got my 2002 Thunder and love it. Only 5000 miles now.
    Does anyone have the full text to these TSB's:

00-00-89-027A JAN 02 Interior - New Odor Elimination Product
    01-01-38-011 OCT 01 A/C System - Proper Use to Achieve Maximum Cooling
    02-08-56-001 FEB 02 PASS-KEY III - Revised Relearn Procedure
    00-08-64-007 JUN 00 Front Door Window - Inoperative/Slow or Noisy

If so would you post here or e-mail to me at barnes_w@email.com?
    I'm going to have my oil changed Monday and I'm going to send a sample off to Blackstone. The reason is I thik the oil is getting dirty too fast. It's also losing a half a quart between oil changes.
    Everyone~
    Do your gears shift very smoothly? Or do you feel the gear changes? Is it sometimes a little bump or is that really abnormal?
    Thanks!
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    My Venture provides seamless tranny gear changes unless I have the gas pedal on the floor. I wish it had a tach so I could more easily tell what gear it is in.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    I have just come back from the UK and saw a real mongrel.

It was the LWB version with TRANSPORT on the back with the front grille of the Pontiac, but embossed in the bumpers was the name Chevrolet.

It was left hand drive, but if I recall it was a version sold in Europe, even under the old dust buster look as well.

As info, the SWB version was seen in manual format with the UK GM brand Vauxhall, but believe this GM stopped importing from the USA, when a home grown variety was produced.

Plenty of Town & Country's as well as PT Cruisers on the roads over there in right hand drive configuration.
  • edmdanedmdan Member Posts: 4
    Thanks again,for your help on my little problems. I did take the van into the dealer for the windshield noise AND a leak (our drought finally ended) only to have them say that it was an after-market item, not installed by GM and so was not covered under new car warrantee! AND so much for "optimum quality" used vehicles (sales gimmick) Local glass shop says they'll reseal for under $60. Also dealer finally grabbed a owners manual from another van so now I can figure the right way to work the seatbelts or change headlamps etc. Again thanks for your quick and accurate replies.
    The tranny on my 98 Venture is not seamless. It's not rough either, I don't think there is a problem.
    You didn't say what interval you were changing your oil, but even 1quart in 3-4000k miles is not excessive. Newer cars have less grippy piston rings for less friction and greater economy/power, but more oil remains on the cylinder walls and gets burned. You can ask about any dealer of any brand and they will tell you the 1/2 quart use is pretty good.

You have no problem.

DD
    Guess I'm just used to not adding any between oil changes. I'm more concerned with any antifreeze in the oil. Just sent a sample to Blackstone.
    Just curious, most of the vehicles I've had 1/2 quart is still within the OK range on the dipstick- provided I've started with it at or near the "full" mark. It usually has to go to nearly a full quart low to drop to the "add" level on the stick. Are you saying it starts out full, gets down to "add" range and you add 1/2 quart and it just barely is in the "safe" range? Or is the 1/2 quart to get from the lower "safe" to the top of the "safe" range?

From my memory the van requries 4 quarts w/ a filter change, but my Maxima requires 4.3 quarts US - and if shops only put 4 quarts in you start off about on the bottom of the "safe" range. Just wondering if you're starting off with it topped off.

DD

DD
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    If you have antifreeze in the oil it will appear in the oil filler cap in the form of little beads.

The loose specifications of the drive train are going to cause a little oil consumption or leakage for that matter especially around the rear main seal, so don't look under there. They are built loose to reduce friction to improve MPG, you may have noticed that your rather large van goes a long way on a tank full. A 1/2 quart isn't bad in 3,500 miles, it's really pretty good.
    Well, If I am losing anti-freeze it's a minute quantity, but any at all only means a problem that will get worse. The half quart lost was for 5000 miles. I agree, not a big deal, but I'm being hyper-vigilant. The van is a nice model. I really don't have a problem with it, and if the Blackstone report comes back ok, then all will be well. However, I saw a loaded Olds Silo at a firesale price of $22,500...
    TSB # 01-07-30-023A
    Harsh 1-2 Upshift, SES, MIL, or CEL Illuminated, DTC P1870 Set (Replace Valve Body)
    1996 Buick Roadmaster
    1996 Cadillac Fleetwood
    1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade
    1996-2000 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
    1996-2000 Pontiac Firebird
    1996-2000 Chevrolet and GMC Light Duty Truck Models
    1996-2000 Oldsmobile Bravada
    with 4L60-E Automatic Transmission (RPO M30)
    Built Prior to January 15, 1999 (Julian Date 9015)
    This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-023 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).
    Condition
    Some customers may comment on a harsh 1-2 upshift and the Check Engine Light or Service Engine Soon indicator is illuminated.
    Diagnosis
    Typically, these vehicles will have been driven more than 32,000 km (20,000 mi) before this condition occurs.
    The scan tool may show a DTC P1870 set as a history code.
    A harsh 1-2 shift or DTC P1870, caused by wear in the control valve body, may be difficult to duplicate when the transmission temperature is below 93°C (200°F).
    Cause
    The condition may be due to wear in the control valve body. This wear occurs in the bore that contains the TCC isolator and regulator valves, and results in poor, or no, TCC apply.

Important
    DTC P1870 is a type B code. The conditions for setting the P1870 DTC must occur on TWO CONSECUTIVE TRIPS (ignition cycles, with a drive cycle) before setting a P1870 history code.
    When the conditions for setting DTC P1870 are met (first trip), the PCM commands maximum line pressure and harsh 1-2 shifts are the result.
    This may result in a harsh 1-2 shift with no history code if the conditions for setting the DTC required for the second trip are not met, on two consecutive trips (Ignition cycles, with a drive cycle).
    When the conditions for setting the DTC are met, on the second consecutive trip, a DTC P1870 is stored as a history code.
    When the P1870 code is stored, the PCM will turn on the Service Engine Soon (SES), Check Engine Light (CEL), or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).
    Correction
    Install a control valve body with the revised TCC regulator and isolator valves. These valves are used in all transmissions produced after January 15, 1999 (Julian Date 9015), and all of the service parts currently available through GMSPO contain revised TCC regulator and isolator valves.

Important
    If all of the following conditions are true, it is not necessary to rebuild the transmission or to replace additional transmission components beyond the control valve body.
    Transmission operation is normal before the transmission reaches operating temperature, or before DTC P1870 is set (no slips, flares, or missing gears).
    The torque converter is not blue or overheated.
    The transmission fluid is not burned or has no burned odor.
    The transmission fluid pan contains no abnormal debris (clutch material, bronze, brass, or metal fragments
    who answered my inquiry. Someone on the Transmission Trauma topic board supplied the above TSB for me. My car had the exact problem as listed here, diagnosed today. My check engine light never illuminated, but the code was stored. So if anyone experiences this, expect a $500 bill. Thanks again for the input. That's what is so great about this board, people helping each other...
  • redwings1958redwings1958 Member Posts: 3
    Just came back from our 1st extended trip with our 2001 Venture LT. Van performed well except for the following incident;
    3 hours into the trip, the seatbelt light came on even though all seat belts were fastened. Then,after stopping for lunch, the FOB would not work, had to unlock doors with key. Started the van, put the van in drive but the automatic door locks did not work. Had to close them by hand.
    Then once we got on the highway, the auto alarm started coming on all by itself. We would shut it off with the FOB, but one minute later it would go on again. This occurred for the next 30 miles.
    Called ONSTAR, they ran a diagnostic but could not find anything wrong. Then the alarm stopped and the symptoms never reappeared. ANY THOUGHTS?
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I believe there is a thing called BCM Body control Module or something like that that controls the functions you had problems with. Buick Rendevous/Pontiac Aztek uses simular controls and there have been posts about problems, can not recall any van problems. Would not have any specific warning lamps on the dash and probably not something OnStar could pick up on.
    Call you dealer, may have to reprogram or replace. Good Luck and post back.
  • dorene2dorene2 Member Posts: 28
    Hello over here in Chevy Venture land. My husband and I have been playing some numbers games with the Honda dealers over the 2002 Odysseys. I am truly exhausted and decided to check out some Amerian models. I am interested in possibly the Venture with the Warner Bros. package. Any feedback or suggestions? I didn't realize there were so many choices in those models! Do
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    hello gm van owners, I'm a longtime edmunds reader, occasional poster...

I posted a message about a month or so ago, decided to get one of the gm vans (used, 99 - 01 extended). Taking my time looking, but have begun checking some out here & there

Amusing to look over various websites where people post reviews of the vans...you really wonder how they can possibly be talking about the same vehicles! one will say "way underpowered" another will say "wonderful power." One will say "horrible engine/highway noise" another will say "its so quiet I can't tell its running." One will say "nothing but trouble" and outline about 50 things that have gone wrong in like, a year, and the next review will say "we've driven the heck out of this van for 3 solid years and the absolute only problem is a flimsy cupholder." And the list goes on & on......

anyway, my questions for the gm van experts here: first, how much stock should I put in the edmunds website used car "custom appraisal" feature? I found a 99 sil. premier in really great shape, beatiful cond, runs great, well-maintained...however it has 66000 miles. the edmunds appraisal says (private party sale) should be ~$13600 (US), going down to ~13000 with the fairly high miles. I offered the guy 14000 (he's asking 16300), he said he'd go 15000 rock bottom...well heck! I don't know if 14 is 1000 bucks too much, or if 15 is a good deal! (he, of course thinks he's givin' it away for 15, lol)

I guess where i'm coming from is, (besides edmunds quote) is that by the time our 36 month loan is paid off, this vehicle will be well over 100000 miles, at which point, imo, the trade in/resale value plummets, regardless of whether its still in great shape....do you all think $15000 is too much? edmunds prices are much more "real world" than kelly b.b., but that ($13000) almost seems a bit low.

Question 2: I understand all 3 gm vans are mechanically pretty much identical, but are there fit & finish, build quality, etc. differences between chevy/pont/olds? (or should I just follow the old advice of getting one built on say, a thursday and not a monday!)

thanks for any input!
    Any idea how long the guy has been trying to sell the '99? He may come around to "our" way of thinking if he doesn't get any action for a couple of weeks. There's a lot of used cars out there due to the 0% financing. Try checking your local paper or car lots for some more comps too, and good luck.

Steve
    Host