Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

Comments

• infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    i asked some of these questions in the venture forum but didn't receive any answers so i thought i'd try here. i've had my 02 with 15,500 miles for about 2 months now. there's just a few concerns i want to ask about. i noticed the driver side wiper overlaps the windshield and hits the black molding. it wipes fine it just seems that it goes over too far. is this normal? lately i've noticed an annoying squeek that seems to be coming from the rear hatch area, but only when it's cold. anyone else have this? overall i'm happy with the purchase, i just fear/dread the gasket issue. i'm looking into an extended warranty since i plan to keep this van for at least 7 years. and i agree with other posts that the air filter is a major pain! but so far i am very happy with the venture. the only thing i wish i had is traction control for wyoming winters.
  • lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    Two things. Armor All all of the doors seals. They seem squal quite a bit with out it.

Also our van had a brack in the back replaced that could have been another squaek problem.

Also, they should be able to adjust your wiper so it does not hit the moulding. Or wiper goes up to it but does not touch.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    I don't have any experience with your michelins, but your tire wear seems very excessive for the van. My van has 46K mi. Currently I am running on 2 of the original Firestones, and 2 Douglas Touring tires. I had to replace 1 of the firestones when my wife drove on a flat and destroyed it. At that time replaced 2 tires to have the same tires on an axle. The other firestone is now my full size spare.
    Anyway, that was about 15K miles ago. I rotate my tires about every 10K. The original Firestones look like they still have about half of their tread left on them and are wearing very evenly. The douglas ones are 80K mi. tires and the tread looks like I put them on about a month ago.
    I would definitely have an alignment check, and check the tire pressures routinely. I run mine at 34 PSI.
  • mmossler1mmossler1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone attempted to replace the factory radio with an aftermarket one? There seems to be a problem with OnStar and the RDS. The OnStar goes through the front speakers. The RDS means the factory radio has to remain hooked somewhere up in the vehicle. I have tried Crutchfield and several local shops....Some say it can't be done, others state it will need a minimum of $150 in wiring harnesses. With the cost of the new stereo, harness and labor it is a $500 job! Ouch.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    You may also want to ask your question over in the Aztek Forum. Might be more radio upgraders for Aztek owners then Van owners with simular systems. Also Aztek is available with OnStar. the Aftermarket Forum may also get you some results.
  • psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    The wife's Y2K extended Montana with 70K has started whining. It does it only after the car has been run for a while (15 or so miles). The sound modulates upon acceleration, becoming louder. I took it to a shade tree mechanic and he thought it was the "transmission pump." He recommended trading the van in before it gets worse and we are faced with a $3000.00 plus tranny job. I was shocked (speaking of which, I still haven't replaced the shocks yet. Maybe a good thing?). We have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow for a second opinion.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Phil
  • jpc47jpc47 Member Posts: 62
    they should be able to replace a part, and not the whole transmission.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    1998 Olds Silh
    3.4 engine with 78,000 miles.
    Service engine light is on...
    Any suggestions ?
    Van seems to run okay ????
    Have noticed a ticking on idle ?
    1/2 q low on oil, filled, still ticking ?
    Have not yet replaced leaking manifold gasket.
    Could this be related ????
    Thanks
    Does it tick just on warmup? This is very common. It should go away when the vehicle warms up. The check engine light could be anything, go to Auto Zone and they will tell you what it is for free. I would replace the gasket sooner rather than later. The anti-freeze could be getting into the engine and fouling a plug.
  • monstersincmonstersinc Member Posts: 13
    Just took my '99 montana in for the intake manifold gasket problem. 48K miles. Have 6/65 major guard. Warranty is covering it (except $100 deductible). The dealer is also asking that I pay $100 for an engine oil flush (not covered) because the dexcool probably went in the oil. Told dealer to make sure they use the version 2 gasket. They claimed to be fully aware of the problem and had plenty of the ver 2 gaskets.
    Took the van in Thursday, hope to get it back Monday.
  • mesazonemesazone Member Posts: 51
    Any word on the who/what/where/when/why/how/if the 2004 Montana will be? In other terms, when will we find out more about the 2004 Montana?

When is the next "Total Makeover"? Wasn't that supposed to be 2004 or was it pushed back to 2006 for some unknown reason? Wasn't it something about GM wanting to spend more money on the pick-ups and SUV's?
    Check out a disscussion on the GTO (look under Pontiac in the town hall front page), someone posted a link to a 2004 GM order guide. It has info on 2004 Montana. I think the redesign is on for the 2005 Model year after Oldsmobile goes away and in time for the new Buick & Saturn versions (was the talk around the time of the Detroit Auto show in Janaury).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nothing yet in our Future Vehicle links:

Future Vehicles Pontiac Vehicles

Don't quote me, but that indicates to me that no major changes will be forthcoming for the '04 model year. Don't quote me 'cause I've been wrong before!

I think this is Montanafan's GM order guide link:

aviatorman "2004 Pontiac GTO" Mar 21, 2003 10:44pm

Steve, Host
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    For about a week my Service Engine light was on...
    Van seemed to run fine... so I waited...
    Yesterday I hit a pothole and the light went out!
    Loose connection ???
    or was it ready to reset anyways ????
  • monstersincmonstersinc Member Posts: 13
    Got the new intake manifold gasket installed (gm major guard). I got a couple of new seals, valve cover (front one) and valve cover gasket out of it. Althought I had $100 deductible, it ended up costing me $200. That's because the engine had to be flushed (oil) and replaced with new oil and filter. GM won't cover that part, but there shouldn't be any dex-cool in the engine now....

While there, I also got two new rear brake cylinders (this is the 2nd repair on one of them) and a new driver power window motor. Of course they screwed up my power mirror, so its got to go back for that...
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    Deletions
      2UV16 model.
      2UM16 1SV and 2UT16 1SY equipment groups.
      Exterior color: (12U) Galaxy Silver Metallic
      Exterior color:(41U) Black.
      Exterior color: (72U) Redfire Metallic
      (U1Q) CD/cassette radio.

New Features
      Exterior color: (46U) Stealth Gray Metallic.
      Exterior color: (63U) Sport Red Metallic.
      Exterior color: (67U) Liquid Silver Metallic.
      (US8) CD/MP3 player, equalizer and Radio Data System. Available on 2UN16 1SA, 2UM16 1SA and 1SE and 2UT16 1SX.
      (U2K) XM Satellite Radio is 100 channels of digital quality sound coast-to-coast. Displays song title, artist and entertainment genre. Available on all models.

Changes
      (AJ7) Air bags, frontal and side impact, driver and right front passenger changed from standard to available on 2UN16 1SA and 2UM16 1SA.
      (PCM) Climate Package changed from standard to available on 2UN16 1SA and 2UM16 1SA.
      (R9W) Defogger delete now available on 2UN16 1SA and 2UM16 1SA.
      (U32) MontanaVision now available on 2UT16 1SX.
      (PCV) Premium Seating Package not available on 2UN16 1SA.
      (ABA) Seats, 7-passenger, 2nd row 60/40 split-folding bench and 3rd row 50/50 split-folding bench, includes single integral child seat standard on 2UN16 1SA and 2UM16 1SA.
      (ABD) Seats, 7-passenger, 2nd row captain's chairs, 3rd row 50/50 split-folding bench now available on 2UN16 1SA and 2UM16 1SA.
      (DL6) Mirrors, outside rearview, power now standard on 2UN16 1SA and 2UM16 1SA.
      (G67) Automatic level control not available on 2UN16 1SA.
      (J41) Brakes, front disc/rear drum now standard on 2UN16 1SA and 2UM16 1SA.
      (JM4) Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, front disc/rear drum changed from standard to available on 2UN16 1SA and 2UM16 1SA.
      (B4U) Sport Performance and Handling Package not available on 2UN16 1SA.
  • mesazonemesazone Member Posts: 51
    I forgot I posted that question. That looks like a lot of work to make that list rbb2.

I guess I'll hold out on this. No hurry.
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    Van has been flawless for over three years of ownership. Nothing needed or replaced. At 37,200 miles the transaxle has developed a very unique problem. When first starting out from either a cold start in the morning or after a 5 to 10 minute stop anytime afterwards on one of the upshifts if you are coasting and not applying gas like on a slight downgrade it upshifts abruptly and you hear it as a "snap" in the axles. At first I thought I was hitting a bump or uneveness in the road surface. After that all shifts are normal even under havey acceleration.

Then after a 300 mile trip it started upshifting very harshly in all three ranges like you were letting the clutch out too quickly in a standard shift vehicle and in all three reanges you could hear it making worn gear noises. Today after the 300 mile trip yesterday, I tried it out and except for the snaping noise on about the 3rd up shift after starting out...in 35 miles of "checking it out" it worked good as new.

We really like this van....this is a very unique problem. I don't want to go too far with it.

Thanks for any advice from any owner with a similar problem. I have loyally owned Chevys for over 40 years...never a bad one.

This site looks good since all of this type GM van are so much the same. I think the owners are more loyal to the brand name than the corporation that builds them . A sorry statement to make when coporporate America prefers to built off shore to make more money. Watch out America.....as I say..."We can't go to war with China ...because they make our bullets!"
    I would check your tranny out. First check your fluid level, if its OK, then I would take it in. In my experience, when auto trannies start making unusual shifts, The problem will gradually get worse until the tranny dies. Good luck and let us know what the problem is.
    I am still very happy with my '01 Venture at 48500 miles.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I just read a reference to ver. 2 intake gasket, which sounds like the "new and improved" gasket. When did they start using a better gasket? Do 2003's still have the problem, or does the new gasket cure the problem? I'd like to know before buying this summer.
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    99 Old silh, The trans started making a hard 3-4 shift at 75-80 mph. The car has 40,000 miles on it. I took it over and had the trans flushed, now it's good as new. The owners book recommended service at 100,000 under easy use, I think that is a little optimistic.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    My 99 Venture's driver's side wiper arm goes down about 95% of the way (to what I call the 'ready' position) when the wipers are turned off, instead of all the way down like the right side wiper still does. What gives?
    The wiper motor has a couple of metal plates on top of it that appear to slide past one another to let the wipers go all the way down. I sprayed some WD40 on them and wiggled the wiper arms. Wipers plopped down just like they're supposed to.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    This would be $100 at the dealer's.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Ok, I know people have been waiting... I drove the van yesterday and the ride is much much firmer but not harsh. The rear was the biggest improvement, it used to bounce quite a bit after like dips in the road at highway speeds, now it sort of hugs the road, if you can say that about a minivan (or SUV for that matter, save the BMW). Turns and transitions, lane changes, all are more controlled.

The biggest difference is the highway handling and stopping.

DD
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    2000 Venture: Got the van back from dealer. Code in the computer directed them to replace transmission pressure control solenoid assembly. There is a GM TSB # 901351 covering this problem.

Access is thru a side plate. I also asked them to drop the pan for my peace of mind to see if there was any evidence of a further problem laying in there. All was ok. So far van works good as new.

If you want more details, go over to the Venture postings where I wrote more on this problem. AT Post # 1490.

Bye and hope this helps someone else.
    I have a couple of concerns that I thought I would ask about here and in the venture forum. I have 2 different rattles coming from underneath. The first sounds like chains rattling together. It’s coming from under the engine area. The second is more of a clunk and it comes from under the driver area. These both only occur when going over moderate bumps but since most roads aren’t completely smooth, I hear then too often. I took it to the dealer. They had it for a total of 2 ½ days. Their solution was tightening an exhaust shield. They said it was fixed. Of course I was skeptical, so I told them I’m driving right thru your parking lot and if it still happens I’ll be right back. Of course the same 2 rattles were there. So the manager drove thru the lot with me about 20 times. His conclusion is that it’s coming from the liftgate area and reverberating thru to where I hear them in the front. I told him I disagree since I can clearly feel a clunk under my feet and hear “chains” from under the engine. He wants to tear apart the liftgate to try some repairs! I did crawl underneath and found that the rear heater and a/c lines seemed to bang together so I tied them together but it didn’t stop the rattle. I’ll try again tonite. Does anyone have any ideas about these rattles?
    Might be helpful if you listed year, length, number doors, recent repairs that could cause/effect the noises, or other info to help readers.
    good idea. 02 venture ext 20,000 miles. recent repairs include front wheel bearings.
    One thing you could try was to have someone else drive while you sit in the third row. This could help confirm the "clunk" location. It is possible it could be from the rear floor pan area, at the liftgate lower edge. This type of noise could transmit through the floor. If the noises have occured since the bearing replacement, look there. As I recall last time I was under my brothers van, some of the ABS wiring attaches to the same bolts that hold on the wheel bearings. Perhaps these clips are the rattle. Theose are my quick thoughts.
    thanks for responding montanafan. i did drive with 2 different service advisors sitting in the back. one thought it was the spare tire which i quickly ruled out. the other is the one that thinks it's the liftgate. but i do plan to tell him about the info you just gave which sounds very helpful. maybe it would solve the rattle that sounds like chains. i'll have my wife drive and i will sit in back.
    thanks again.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    What a rip off !!! They accept the responsibility for the defective gasket, but you have to pay to get the result of their mistake flushed ...!!!

I would have drive the car 30 mn and get the oil and filter changed. thats it thats all , what a bunch of crap.

At the worst you can flush your engine for less than 20 bucks including the cleaner, the oil and the filter.If you do it yourself !!

What a bunch of thiefes I wont be able to sleep tonight !!!
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    I have the SAME (I think) "Rattles" coming from what sounds to be the engine/front axle/up there somewhere. Sounds like chains/sort of a jingly squeaking. I've had it in twice with 'no trouble found. Drives me insane when we drive on long trips (like we are this week!).

Fuel economy is still terrible at 18 on the highway...

Dan
    2001 Montana Ext. Montanavision, Sport, 8passenger, etc etc
    I really hate that nozzle. Anybody come out with a new idea, replacement , modification for that thing that is spraying almost away from the wiper blade ?

Thanks
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Mine stopped working altogether in my 2000 Silhouette. I filled the reservoir, and the front washer works, but not the rear. Any suggestions?
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    LOL

The first time I used rear washer on my silo, I thought mine was surely defective or a bit screwed up...I fiddled with it a little, and it appears to be working as best it can. How ridiculous! Washer fluid just sort of dribbles in a stream down one side, hardly getting the wiper blade at all! The wiper works well for rain only, but with dirty splashback, ice, etc., forget it! Its almost as if olds/gm forgot to design one for van, and at last minute said "someone go stick a washer on for the back, quick!" and NOBODY EVER ACTUALLY TESTED TO SEE IF IT WORKED!!!

Re. rear not working at all...make sure you let it run for 10 seconds or so...if it hasn't been used for quite a while, sometimes it takes them a bit to get flowing. If not, I guess try & find line from pump that goes to rear, see if its pumping good at that point, if so at least you have it narrowed down to a clogged/disconnected line. Some vehicles I've had have separate pump/reservoir in the rear, for the rear...as it should be. Many, though (incl the gm vans, I'm pretty sure) have line up through headliner from front, which IMO could be bad, bad, bad for many reasons!
    That can be a safety hazard, Gm should recall the van and install better nozzle
  • lilblessinglilblessing Member Posts: 2
    This may be way off but I chased down two noises for awhile one time it turned out being the roof rack was not tighten or came loose, also I know if the windows on the sliding doors are not locked they make some rattling noise
    This has always been the source of any noise in our Venture, regarless of where it seems to come from. Every time, it's a loose roofrack crossmember fluttering.
  • bcd99bcd99 Member Posts: 45
    Try getting Armor-all wipes (the presoaked wipes that come in a container) and wipe down all the rubber door and window gaskets. The sliding doors and the rear door are the most common culprits. Keep these gaskets well lubed with armor-all and the squeaks and rattles from the doors will be kept to a minimum.
  • manchester313manchester313 Member Posts: 1
    We've been researching minivans for a while now, as our 1994 T&C has 105k mi. Edmunds True Cost to Own has Honda as the big favorite, along with other reviews of course. But now GM is offering such deep discounts on the Premier, that we may get one, especially with the 5/60 warranty. $25k for a loaded Silo looks like a steal. What am I missing? I know the depreciation is steep, but $8k off sticker sure helps. Any input would be appreciated. I enjoy the many useful posts.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I have an '03 GLS that now has 13,000 trouble free miles. Are you saying $25,000 for a new 2003 Premier? I am assuming that this includes a rebate? My van was $28,000 in October, 2002. I opted for the 0% financing rather than rebate.

I am sure there might be better vans on the market but the Silhouette is a mixture of luxury, comfort and versatility. We have hauled seven people and also, at times, a van load of junk. The back seat folds flat and that makes the cargo area easy to access. I think GM got lots of early bad press because of problems in years past. It is sad to see Oldsmobile going away but the Silhouette represents one of its best products.
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    I had that happen to me too...

Look under the hood and check that the tubing from the pump has not come loose. That's what my problem was. It is only held on by a barbed plastic fitting on the pump and can work loose over time.

Also, if the fluid is low, the rear washer will not operate, but the front will.

Mikey
  • flash26flash26 Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum, but my sister has a '98 montana that she has had a lot of problems with. The most concerning and major problem happened when they were driving 60 miles an hour on the freeway, then they took their foot off the gas, with no response! It did not decelerate...basically it drives on its own! At first they thought it was a problem with the cruise control, but that wasn't it. Has anyone else had this problem? GM had suggested replacing the intake gasket. ANY help would be really appreciated.
    Haven't had that problem but I did replace the intake gasket. Latest problem, seems one of my radiator fans died.
  • dave231dave231 Member Posts: 17
    Experts, I was driving along and my cruise control kicked off and the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on. OK no big deal - emissions right. Well I pull off interstate and transmission is weird, won't shift unless I pump the throttle, among other things it decides to do. So what do you think it is, drives fine once it get's to 4th gear - down shifts ok. Any help would be helpful - and don't say new transmission - car has alot of highway miles.
    Has anyone had any problems with the fan blower for the front A/C in their GM trio van? Mine is not blowing air very well at all. I can hear the speed of the fan change with each of the settings 1-5 on the dial, but their is not much air coming out of the vents. Also, the fan doesn't boost on "max a/c" with air recirc on high.
    I haven't ever changed the cabin air filter, so I am going to try that first, but that still doesn't explain the Max A/c problem. Any input would be appreciated.
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    '97 Pontiac Transport wiper problem ...

My wife's transport wiper blades do not close (point down under the windshield ....
    They work fine in all speeds but when you shut
    them off .. they appear to go down under the windshield but then go straight up and shut off in a full straight up position (both blades do the same thing.... we had this problem 4 years ago under warrranty but the dealer won't fix it again .. we called Pontiac .. they said same thing .. has anybody else had this problem and is there a easy fix ? Under warranty - they said
    they replaced the wiper motor ?? I would think their should be a less expensive fix ?

Are others seeing these problems ?
  • hawk27hawk27 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 with 26k miles, mostly the grind it out kid-toting variety. We enjoy this van a great deal. It is comfortable, has a smooth ride, and is versatile. We looked at Toyota, Honda, and Mazda and narrowed to GM or Honda before we bought the Silhouette. It was much less expensive and has been trouble free. My brother-in-law bought an Odyssey at the same time, which has already had three significant repairs.
    Just do a little research here. I've read about an easy fix for the wiper (WD40)on the wiper limit switch attached to the wiper motor.

Hope that you will find it
    Good luck